Them (2006) Poster

(2006)

Tense as hell...
MrVibrating9 December 2006
...but in the end you realize this is something you'll only watch once or perhaps twice. It's a perfect cinema experience however.

The sound work works really well in a theater. There is clearly a very eager and talented sound designer and editor responsible for creating most of the tension. Every single creak and footstep is perfectly placed for the best scares. The plot is the "weakest" part, but it's nothing you'll care about. The best thing is that it mercifully steers clear of all "jump" scenes we know and hate from American scary movies.

After the first act, lightning starts to come in more and more and almost replaces sound as the tension-maker. This is also done extremely well. Actually, this is probably one of the most well- made horror movies in a long time. Everything plays out perfectly; lightning, sound, camera-work(modern, but not annoyingly so) editing and cinematography.

Definitely worth watching for the technical aspects alone, but more so for the tension and the scares.
113 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent atmosphere, no story
snuhmcsnort29 July 2006
As previous reviewers have mentioned, at the start of the story you are never quite sure what genre the film is, which works in this film's favour. In many ways this film reminded me of 'Wolf Creek' in that there was next to no story at all, but instead the film focuses on character's trapped in a life or death situation and the seemingly prescient nature of the pursuer(s). In addition, there's the appeal to the 'based on a true story' line that seems to reel in some gullible viewers while causing a good eye-rolling for the rest of us. To believe that the events that transpired in this movie are based on fact is not implausible, it just seems to be an excuse for a threadbare story. That said, the movie that it is is highly suspenseful. As another reviewer mentioned, I spent most of the film cringing. Surprising lack of violence which was very refreshing, which helps make an even stronger case for this film. The final shot was very chilling in it's implications, but perhaps portrayed the antagonists as being somewhat too detached, which for me, seemed to nullify the overall impact of the film. I gave it a 7/10. I would definitely recommend it for the masterful creation of suspense.
65 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Short, but well filmed and full of tension
The_Void23 January 2007
This film proclaims that the events contained within are based on actual happenings. I can easily buy this as the plot isn't so outlandish that it becomes impossible for it to have actually happened. The way that the film treats it's subject matter is good in that it focuses on atmosphere and tension to get across what is only really a variant on the same sort of story used in films such as Night of the Living Dead and Assault on Precinct 13, and the film does manage to remain interesting for the most part despite the fact that it gives you no real reason to care for the characters and the plot is incredibly thin. IMDb only lists two actors for the cast - there are actually more, but these two are the central characters. Clementine, a schoolteacher and Lucas, a writer live together in a picturesque little country house. They believe themselves to be isolated within this nice little home, but upon hearing a noise one night, the pair venture outside and discover that, in fact, they are not alone in their living area and soon realise that they have been invaded by a group of murderous 'visitors'...

The film only runs for seventy minutes, so there's not much time for plot building anyway. It would seem that directors David Moreau and Xavier Palud were keener to focus on themes of the plot rather than telling an actual story, and the ideas contained within mostly concern the pointlessness of violence and an invasion of a family home. The film benefits from a nice glossy cinematography, which looks nice and gives the film more of a high quality feel. The acting is decent enough, and both Olivia Bonamy and Michaël Cohen give interesting portrayals of their characters. The murderers are the most interesting part of the film, and this is true in spite of the fact that they're kept off screen as much as possible. The same idea behind the murderers of this film has been used before, to a better degree in some films, and is used well here also. The film falls down on the fact that it doesn't run for long and it doesn't really seem to have an actual plot. This isn't particularly important considering what the film obviously sets out to portray, but it does leave Them feeling rather empty. Still, this is a quality French horror film and comes recommended.
58 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing suspense, mediocre everything else.
Shattered_Wake10 July 2008
At a large, secluded house in the countryside, a teacher and her writer husband are terrorized by a group of hooded strangers. The couple attempt to seek shelter at home and away, but the strangers have different ideas.

I decided to give this a watch and post a review for it before the (suspiciously) similar 'The Strangers' was released here in the states. 'Ils,' along with a few other French films, have been the talk of the recent foreign horror market. 'Ils' doesn't stand up as high as some of the other more popular modern French horrors, like 'À l'intérieur' and 'Haute Tension,' but that doesn't mean it's not a worthy addition to the library of well made French horrors. The film, overall, is very suspenseful and exchanges a lot of tension for any kind of violence or gore (which is almost nonexistent). It's not a very original idea, and the technical aspects of the film, including the sparse script and average direction, aren't really anything new. But, the one thing I was pleasantly surprised (and pleased) with was the shocking revelation of the attackers. . . that was one of my favourite parts of the film, especially the almost surreal final shots of the film. To sum up, if you're looking to counteract some of the brutally violent recent French horrors and thrillers, this isn't a bad film to turn to.

Final verdict: 6.5/10.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary stuff, here
slake091 October 2006
This deserves it's spot in the horror movie pantheon, the latest to come out that is actually scary, in it's own creepy way. I've read that people think it's predictable - maybe so. It wasn't for me.

The plot involves a couple being terrified in their own home by an unknown group of people. Completely unknown, because you never get a look at them. You're not even sure that they are people. The real horror of it comes at the end, when you realize what went on and it sort of fits into the reality horror genre.

In any case, the movie had good pacing, good timing, and certainly good acting. The unknown part is the creepy, scary part; along with the protagonists, you're not quite sure what is going on or why, or even who is perpetrating it. That's the good part of this movie, the way that the unknown remains unknown until the end.

I enjoyed this movie mainly because it employed every means to be scary and creepy without throwing in special effects or a big budget. It's just good film making, and that's enjoyable in itself.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of Your Seat
jebretail21 July 2006
While I would never classify "Them" as science fiction in the least, it is definitely a keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat thriller, but one tastefully made without gratuitous violence or gore. Based on a true life story, this film speaks to the banality of violence, and the essence of fear. I've seen plenty of gripping thrillers, but this one kept me squirming and shielding my eyes for a full hour, with an ending that leaves you stunned. Speaking no French or Romanian and having seen it with English sub-titles, I cannot attest to the value of the script. The performances, however, seem solid and the film is expertly shot and musically scored - all these elements add to the power of the film. I would appreciate more information on the real events on which "Them" is based, so if anyone knows more, please contact me.
82 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great thriller based on true event
Stskyshaker24 July 2006
I have to say i really enjoyed it. With a runtime of only 77mins and less then 50votes here, it's far beyond my expectation.And after watching Ils, i wonder whether this is exactly how long a horror/thriller movie should be.

The setting and excellent score remind me of High Tension, but it turns out to be a even better one. At least higher efficiency in only 77mins, no gratuitous sex violence or gore, all are set to create the breathtaking atmosphere.

Like some other audience, I supposed 'they' had to be aliens and this movie should be a sci-fi before seeing the ending which is short,but reasonable enough,and quite impressive.

Low budget horror at its best.
35 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
scary...because it might be real
ssto29 May 2007
as many of the comments here stated, there isn't much of a plot, but the suspense and thrill is there and this is a very good scary movie. this could happen to you, this could happen to anyone

the authors make a statement about the violence the youngest generation is consuming through TV, movies, newspapers, magazines to such extent, they can't perceive good and bad, and hurting somebody just for fun is simply a game

now thats scary and gives me real creeps

watch this movie without high expectations for bloody scenes or hi-tech effects. this is just an open window to a world that might be next door to you, your family, community and home

watch it!

peace
61 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An endurance of fear and high tension takes you to the edge.
jpgonc19 August 2006
My God! "Ils" or "Them" reminds me of "Spoorloos" (The Vanishing - Dutch Title). But wait a minute. "Ils" is not a copycat nor its contents are equal to "Spoorloos". I am talking about the tense, the suspense and the frightful atmosphere this movie delivers to you.

The movie runs thru a hour and ten minutes always packed with great thrilling cinematography that could take you into a breathless awe. "Ils" don't have a great plot but it's not two minutes of suspense here and there... it's a whole hour of constant excitement of anticipation of an approaching climax! The acting is very good, very credible and natural. (Congratulations Olivia Bonamy and Michael Cohen because you guys connect "trés bien" on the screen).

The story is about a french couple living in a rural mansion in the outskirts of Bucuresti, Romania, that one night are surprised by some bizarre visitors that start to terrorize them. But who are really THEM? That's what we gonna find at the end and that's what it makes it more desirable to go see David Moreau's/Xavier Paludo's "Ils".

If you plan to see gore, forget it. Nevertheless this flick surpasses the goriest movie around. It was based on a true event and this makes it more scary and unpredictable.

Definitely a truly horror/thriller movie plot. Unmissable.
55 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's life in the stalk and slash film yet
trpuk196829 January 2007
This puts a new spin on the stalk and slash movie by eschewing previous devices such as supernatural beings, reincarnated murderers or chainsaw wielding psychopaths. The antagonists terrorising a bourgeois couple are a bunch of hoodies. A 'hoodie', for the benefit of non British readers, is a youth who wears, as the name suggests, a hooded sports top. This garment is frequently associated with youngsters up to no good.

A year or so ago several members of a street gang in London, average age fifteen, were convicted of the brutal murder of a middle aged man on London s South Bank. So this film reverberates contemporary fears and the current moral panic in Britain. Reading our newspapers you'd imagine all under sixteens were off the rails.

The film uses its settings really well, there's a chase through some tunnels which brought to mind television footage of 1989, after Romania's dictator Ceaucescu, was brought down. For several weeks his secret police, the Securitate, went underground in a series of secret tunnels underneath Budapest, terrorising people with sporadic violence.

Sound is used brilliantly, in a disembodied way, there's all sorts of cries, shrieks. Its unclear whether they are part of the diegesis. There's a rattling sound throughout which has the effect of making you jump. Its source is revealed at the films end.

The standard settings for the stalk and slash film are used really well - the house, as in Halloween, the woods bring to mind stuff like The Evil Dead or Texas Chainsaw.

Tightly edited, well paced and jolted me several times, its good to see Europe stand up to Hollywood in the entertainment stakes.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impact
kosmasp29 April 2007
You should know that this movie is a horror movie. But even if you didn't know going in or renting this, you would certainly get that from the first minutes. And you will also get, that this is not the slasher horror movie that became a fashion (chic) the last few years, but a down and dirty (although that's more towards the second half of the movie) old school horror movie. And that means it's all about the suspense.

And the road to get there. Think about other (suspensful) horror classics and you will see that some of them had not that many scares at the beginning, but instead build/created the characters for us. This is what happens here too ... and the end really left me with a chill!!
35 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
French masterclass in suspense.
cellarboy8 August 2006
What a pleasant surprise this film was. It literally drips with suspense from the opening scenes, right up to the last few minutes. I had my hand close to my face for much of it, just waiting for the shocks. I'm a big fan of French cinema and this kind of movie will show you why... attention to detail, natural acting and not afraid to divert from the mainstream. It builds beautifully, is directed by two craftsmen in their art and the performances from the two main actors are very natural and just excellent. Great premise and the fact that it's based on true events only adds to the creep factor. Fits perfectly in to it's short running time of 77 minutes. Great unexpected conclusion. Best french film of it's type since High Tension. Why can't there be more like this superb masterclass in suspense????
43 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nastily effective
paul2001sw-17 April 2011
David Moreau and Xavier Perud's brief but nastily effective thriller carriers echoes of 'The Blair Witch Project' - the start is all suggestion and fear, with very little seen, and 'Assault on Precinct 13', with a plot centred on an apparently motiveless, but overwhelming, attack on its protagonists. The film is apparently based on a true story, although I doubt that in reality a Transylvanian manor house would really link up to such an extensive collection of sewers and cellars. True or not, it's not really a story about anything; the final revelation, about the identity of the attackers, is shocking but as we don't see anything from their perspective, also limited. Nonetheless, this is a film that will have you flinching in your seat on more than one occasion.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riveting tension
Craig_McPherson25 June 2008
Released in 2006, Ils (Them – English title) is one of those non-descript movies that easily gets passed over on the DVD rental racks, largely because it's a foreign film that doesn't carry much in the way of marketing fanfare, all of which is too bad because it's among the very best of the horror/thriller genre.

It tells the story of French couple Clementine and Lucas, who move to Bucharest, Romania, where Clementine has landed a job as a French teacher at a Romanian school.

Taking up residence in a remote villa outside the city, the couple are awakened in the middle of the night by what at first appears to be thieves trying to steal their car, only to discover that it's not the car they're after, but themselves.

Directors David Moreau and Xavier Palud handle things with the experience of film veterans, even though their resumes prior to Ils were thin. The viewer as much in the dark about the siege on the house as Clementine and Lucas, and the revelations that come to light as the night plays out come as much of shock to the viewer as they do to the protagonists.

If it's tension you like, Ils goes straight for the jugular and doesn't let go.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scariest horror movie in years
jason_1318 January 2007
Ils is a great addition to the otherwise terrible 2006 - a bad, bad year for horror. I doubt we even expect fear in the "new" horror. At least, I surrendered long time ago. That is why Ils is something more than a positive surprise. It's a golden mine.

Lucas and Clementine are a happy couple, living in a distant house. One night, Clementine is woken up by the sound of strange noises, coming from the front of the house. Uninivted guests have occupied the place, but the main characters are not able to see them. They have no choice, but to run and hide in a night full of craziness and terror.

Ils delivers a level of realism, I honestly, haven't witnessed in a long time. Usually, we have monsters that are first kept in mystery in order to fool the viewer that a killer is going after the characters. Basically, Ils's plot is not all that original and never seen before, but the first scene builds up tension and mystery, supporting the rest of the movie. There are only two characters which leaves more space for visual beauty. Nature around the house, the house itself, the night - very nice location. It's like the creators have tried to create a specific atmosphere, fitting into the later introduced strain.

Ils is scary in a way that could hardly be described. As I said, storytelling is not that impressive, nor revolutionary, but the authors are obviously talented enough to turn it into a scary experience. The viewer is curious to find out what or who is behind the murders. By murders, I mean the first scene where unknown woman and her daughter are killed off screen. What is their motive? All that stuff is not just a mystery, because the film is rather silent and tensed than slow paced with lots of dialogs.

It is said that the movie is based on true events which leaves even more questions. Personally I don't have faith in this kind of stuff anymore. I mean if a similar event has occurred, it is always different than the movie. I suppose it's the same story here. The movie's weakest point is exactly that attempt to influence the viewer by a made-up story. Horror makers should stop this. It has been original 30 years ago with TCM. Now, it has become annoying.

Ils is definitely among the best horror movies in years. A European, scary flick, you will appreciate the least.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very effective and surprising movie
pmdawn10 April 2008
This movie is a mystery-horror hybrid, and one of the best at maintaining tension and suspense. Definitely not recommended for those with heart problems - honest, this had my heart racing. No special effects or big budget necessary, this movie is simple but told from the point of view of the victims as well as 'their' POV, and this keeps the movie interesting and makes it a different entry in the horror genere.

Much like Run Lola Run, "Ils" is effective, yet it is clear that is more of an exercise in style (that works very well) than any attempt to truly innovate. I can't help but wonder that this movie could have been awesome with a different, more intricate plot. But since it claims it's based on true facts, it does a good job of telling the story with a twist and putting us in the place of the two main characters. There isn't much gore at all, which is a good thing and works in favour of the movie's atmosphere.

And the ending... well, let's just say it was a big surprise for me. Just try not to read any spoilers about this movie, don't assume anything beforehand and you're set.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They don't often get as scary as this.
The_Dead_See12 April 2008
As some other comments have pointed out, "Ils" really doesn't have much of a story to it. A young couple are terrorized by a gang of mysterious, hooded assailants in a country house, that's about all there is to it. But this film takes suspense to whole new levels. It has possibly the scariest opening sequence I've seen in two decades of being a horror movie fan, and I barely breathed throughout the entire first hour. The third act lightens up on the tension a bit (and I mean only a bit), but that's actually a welcome relief... It's nice to feel your heart slow back down to normal levels after being taken on such a ride.

It isn't a horror film that relies on gore or shocks for its frights. Fans of movies like Hostel and Saw probably won't find much to entertain them here; but if you enjoy tight directing that builds layer upon layer of anxiety, then this is for you.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was actually scary!!
dynamit0624 November 2006
I thought this movie was great! I really enjoy horror movies but it's not too often I actually get scared, but this one worked for me. The story is pretty simple and you've seen it before (Some innocent people living in a remote location gets terrorized by evil people), but what made it so great was the direction and the actors. It's a very well-made and well-acted movie! The french couple were also very likable, so you could really feel for them when the nightmare began. Simply put: They didn't deserve it! And the question hanging in the air all to the end is why? And yes! We do get an satisfying explanation. Can't complain about much really. It was short (77 minutes) but effective. The only reason i don't give it a ten is that you only give ten to classics. It's a great little movie, but probably not a classic.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good one
misko1410 August 2006
Watch out for the spoilers...

This one was a nice surprise. It started out as a ghost movie with a strong paranormal feeling, chilly mood and great surroundings. Furthermore the movie managed to cloak the real identity of the home invaders for some time, and additionally add a cool twist in the end.

The movie (and particularly the ending) is quite disturbing so people with weak nerves should be warned.

I would actually like to summarize the atmosphere of this one as a mix of "The Descent" and "Blair Witch".

7 out of 10 Molotov cocktails
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yours cruelly, angry mob (with thanks to The Kaiser Chiefs)
Lejink14 July 2008
Low-budget but highly effective French-made chiller, with a young couple relaxing at night in a sprawling run-down house in Romania, terrorised for no apparent reason by unknown violent assailants, who turn out to be a teenage (in fact sub-teenage) gang out for sadistic kicks. Starting off with a more commonplace murder of a late-returning mother and daughter in their broken-down crashed car (so far so seen-it-before) the movie steps up a gear after we're introduced to the young everyday couple at the centre of the mayhem that follows as they retire at night. The action breaks down into two distinct sequences, the first as the couple are chased throughout the strangely massive decrepit and distinctly intimidating house they inhabit, with more than a nod to "The Shining" along the way, the second the external sequence in the grounds of the property as the girl, having abandoned her wounded lover to his fate, blunders madly through the woods (reminiscent of "The Blair Witch Project") before ending up trapped in the underground sewage network, where she too meets her no doubt grisly fate. The scene where she meets her doom even recalls "The Shawshank Redemption" only this time she comes up against a dead-end at the the sewer's end which effectively seals her fate. The direction is clever enough not to show any graphic scenes of violence, remembering that the best scares come from our own imagination. I liked the turnabout on the theme of following the light to safety as the couple forever seek to escape the light of the pursuing electric torches and car which the young gang employ. The shocking conclusion, revealed in typeface over the end-titles, is that the pursuing angry mob are no more than a bunch of youngsters out for kicks at night-time. To the viewer however they seem to be a conglomeration of every sub-Freddy/Jason nightmare character to escape from any teen-slasher franchise, the unbearable edgy atmosphere fading away as they board the local bus in the morning, where we also see the contrast between light and dark and good and evil in the redeeming morning daylight. In conclusion an above-average slasher-flick for grown-ups!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"They wouldn't play with us."
Backlash00715 June 2008
I found Them to be kind of a "meh", take it or leave it film. It's not bad, but it's also not that great. It's much easier to review a movie that you either loved or hated. Strong feelings either way provide a wealth of comments to spout on about. That being said, I don't have a lot of things to say about this French offering. I can say that Them was a tight, tense thriller. It had a short and welcome running time that kept things moving along at a brisk pace. That's just refreshing to see in a world where the most clichéd tripe thinks it deserves 2 hours to tell a story. And this story is very simple: A couple alone in a secluded home being terrorized by "Them." I have waited a while to write this review because I wanted to see The Strangers first. They are almost the exact same movie, but I just connected more with The Strangers. The Strangers frightened me more. It may have something to do with a darkened theater versus a computer monitor though. The two films might compliment each other well in a double feature setting.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid exercise in suggestive horror
fertilecelluloid11 April 2008
"Ils" ("Them") begins by establishing some real characters (a couple) in a real setting (their house). Lucas (Michael Cohen) is a writer who seems a little blocked. Sanda (Maria Roman) is his wife, a smart, supportive woman who is having problems sleeping. During an irritating bout of insomnia, in the middle of the night, she hears the first noise. From that moment, the lives of this couple are changed. Their home is invaded by faceless people and they are forced to flee. They fight, too, but because they may be outnumbered, fleeing seems to be the most sensible course of action -- at least initially. This moody French horror film, directed by David Moreau and Xavier Palud, goes heavy on the suspense and light on the mayhem. Once it establishes its simple premise, it is an extended chase through a forest and dangerous subterranean tunnels. The strong, sexy Roman gets the most generous coverage as she is stalked and deceived, her flight paralleling that of Marilyn Burns in the original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre". When the film reveals who our heroes have been running from, it is a modest surprise. Stronger, though, is a simple sequence of shots that confirm their fate. Made with modest resources, nicely lit and scored, "Ils" is a solid exercise in suggestive horror.
OK Bare bones horror movie
TdSmth519 June 2008
We have an intro followed by a quick introduction of the main characters, and there are only 2 of them, and then we go straight to the mild horror. The best part really is the introduction which is a very tense and suspenseful presentation of the bad guys. It's the typical intro crime. But it's very well done. A mom and daughter drive in a minivan at night and in the rain (of course) and while they fight, mom runs into a tree while trying to avoid something or someone on the road. Both don't end up well.

Then we meet our main characters, Clem played beautifully by the lovely Olivia Bonamy. She is a French school teacher in Romania. Her boyfriend is a lazy writer. We spend a late afternoon and night with them as they dine, watch TV, and go to sleep. She then starts hearing noises and wakes him up. They realize her car has been moved and when he approaches the car lights turn on and it drives to him making him run back into the house.

From then on they run and hide from the intruders, who shine lights and make odd sounds. For the most part we don't see Them, don't know if they are human or not. Eventually, They injure his leg and she takes on the main role, trying to find a way out as they barricade themselves in a restroom. Eventually we see that one of Them looks like a kid. The passivity and pacifism of our victims is mind boggling as they run in fear from a light or a shadow or the slightest sound.

Later on our couple separates as she wanders into the woods and he can't climb a gate. Eventually they are both recaptured but a friendly kid guides them away from the violent kids. Or does he?

The film is relatively short and lacking in dialogue. Along the lines of most current horror films. Little introduction, no dialogue, lots of running around darker halls / sewers, but this one doesn't have any gore. We don't know anything about the villains or how they can be so fantastically silent yet see everything our victims do. Why this is R-rated I don't know. It's clearly PG-13. The movie is somewhat effective at creating tension and fear but lacks energy, creativity, characters, gore, nudity. This is horror-light.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horror movie that doesn't rely on gore but fear.
Mr_Saxon26 September 2007
There are some movies that stay with you after you've watched them. This is one of them.

A young couple lie asleep in their large house within the woods. A noise awakens the woman. When she goes to check downstairs, she notices that her car has been moved. And that's when a sequence of terrifying events begins to be played out.

Somebody is waiting in the dark woods outside their house.

And they want to come in.

This is a movie that does not rely on pools of blood and disgusting deaths to disturb the viewer. It prays upon your fear of the unknown and the nightmare of your home being invaded. The two main actors do a wonderful job here (especially Olivia Bonamy who reminded me of a more talented Jennifer Connelly) as they go from a loving couple to terrified victims. It's an hour of tension in which you really don't know what is going to happen next.

And yes, the ending is shocking. If you haven't already had it spoiled for you as to who the "Them" of the title are, then make sure you watch the movie before somebody ruins it. The revealing of their identity is shocking and the final scene (with the knowledge that this is based on true events) will linger in your mind like a bad dream.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally focused on the things that matter
unbrokenmetal16 August 2007
Sometimes it's no disadvantage if there isn't much of a plot. The particular strength of "Them" is that the movie is totally focused on the things that matter: the fright, the darkness, the running. It has no superfluous, bizarre ingredients like tons of movies tried to sell us before, such as supernatural beings seeking revenge, nightmares of things becoming alive, a maniac killer collecting index fingers or incestuous rednecks with axes. When somebody in "Them" falls or hits a wall, it hurts, and he's not going to carry on like nothing had happened. "Them" means: "no BS", simple as that. And that has become a rare quality. The visuals are dominated by hand-held camera shots and the uneasiness they create, but I suppose what many don't notice as quickly are the excellent noise effects that support the atmosphere perfectly. Here is a whistle, there breaks a stick, and what was that? This type of soundtrack certainly is not strictly realistic, but very effective. "Is it realistic?" or "is it a true story?" aren't the questions that come to my mind, anyway, while I watch the movie. I am impressed instead that something so straightforward can keep the high suspense level constantly. The two leading actors, Olivia Bonamy ("Bloody Mallory") and Michael Cohen, are convincingly portraying the couple that totally unprepared is pushed into a situation of pure terror. Excuse me, there is someone knocking at my door ;-)