Supernatural (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

Supernatural is a dream for everyone who loves the horror/suspense genre
s45886241120 September 2005
I personally have been waiting to see a show based on spooky plots and this show delivers. Supernatural is somewhat endearing in that the main characters (the only ones who will be recurring) are brothers, however, the writing makes the characters more believable. They are different from each other, each with their own take on life and things that are not typical. I think as the show goes on it will continue to get better,though it is great now. I can't wait to see more of this show!

Another plus is the little bits of humor placed here and there, which, when done right, is always a plus. Some of the best shows/movies are ones in which one minute you are sitting on the edge of your seat biting your nails and the next you are laughing at some irony or funny statement/joke a character has said. Also, having two very attractive men in the cast doesn't hurt, either ;)
726 out of 817 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
best show in years!
hdbhood25 April 2008
This is the kind of show that everybody has been waiting for! I have been watching this show since the very first episode and I have noticed that all this reality s*** out now is getting to be more and more obnoxious but it's nice to know that a show like this is still running! The horror and suspense actually gets to me, in a good way of course. You would not expect to become nervous while watching a TV show, but this one knows how to start suspense and end suspense within an hour and make it absolutely amazing. The special effects are always fantastic and the script always has me on the floor laughing, well not literally. Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are one of the best teams I've seen in a very long time! They play off each other very nicely and not to mention the fact that they are both extremely attractive. Although if you are thinking about starting to watch this show now, I'd take the time to check out or even purchase the first 3 seasons, the show is so much better watching it from the beginning as compared to starting it mid 4th season, as with most shows.

All in all, if you aren't watching this show, you are missing out!!!!

(you're not allowed to shout in your comments in this, but I want to shout in a good way! It won't let me!!)
43 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good new supernatural show!
rebel69mach16 April 2006
When the show started I will admit I was apprehensive. It was compared to ghost busters and most notably X-files, but the first episode was everything but. It was action packed with two bad-ass brothers fighting no not crime, but ghosts. Spirits. The writers have done their research into urban legends and local myths, building on spooks we've grown up hearing about, sometimes beings scared of, and other's apprehensive. They give these spooks a face and then send Dean and Sam to blow them to smithereens.

While the coated focus is naturally the supernatural, the deep artery of the show is the love between these brothers as they sort out their past and arguments with "Dad" and challenge their future with a new light. They're action packed, gun toting, hot rod driving, (not to mention sexy) heroes saving people from harmful supernatural beings, (as they're not all ghosts). The music choice of the shows is also superb with everything from Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't fear the reaper" to Iron Butterfyl's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". If your looking for an action packed, thrilling, GRASPING, hour, tune in, It's now Thursday at 9 Eastern-Standard on the WB.
209 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One word: Awesome
TruthIsOutThere17 September 2005
During the 90's I was a big fan of the X-Files to this day I still am. The X-Files had great stories and character development, which is needed for a great show. Supernatural has that from the very first episode. I admit that I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, but I knew exactly what happened and where the story was going. Most shows you tune into after the first few minutes your lost and you lose interest, unlike Supernatural. CBS's Threshold, may not live up to the X-Files, but Supernatural does.

One final note, as long as the WB doesn't do any tweaking of the show this series will last for quite a few seasons.
567 out of 663 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whoa! This is more like it!
sarastro729 September 2005
After being disappointed by mediocre to bad new shows like Threshold and Invasion, I am glad that there's at least one new show that really delivers. Supernatural is in a whole different league, with proper style, suspense and great production values. This is a dark, moody show that understands how to use the television medium. The story isn't exactly complex, but the storytelling technique pulls you in and holds your attention, making you want to know more about the supernatural beings and the rules that govern their shadow world. I'm usually not a fan of darkness and horror, but this show is effective. It's dark urban fantasy and it has the potential to go a long way. As it is, the show is way, waay above average, and I rate the pilot episode an 8 out of 10.
458 out of 559 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One to watch!
jp54715 September 2006
It's a mini horror movie every week. Supernatural brings American urban legends into your home each episode. All those stories you told around the campfire as a child come to life in this explosive TV show. From the exceptional writing to the awesome soundtrack, this TV show is a step above the rest. I love seeing the dynamic between the brothers, Sam and Dean. It seems that no matter what has happened in the past, family is family. I imagine this show is a production nightmare. There are so many great special effects, it's like being at your local cinema. And you can't forget that car. A '67 Impala that the brothers travel the country in. With the classic rock tunes blaring on the cassette player and the roar of the engine, this car is hot! Overall, I think Supernatural is one of the best shows on TV. My only concern is them running out of good material. I mean there are only so many urban legends. However, I've heard they've got the first 3 seasons pretty much mapped out, so at least we can have a few good years, right.
25 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show serves it's purpose, with grace!
Paradoxchairmen23 October 2005
Now this show is not without problems. I'll be the first to admit it. It's very basic premise and sometimes convenient plot turns are not lost on me. Two monster hunting brothers travel cross country and extinguish a different monster each week. Not too much on the original side, I know. However, I can't help but watch this show every week with a fondness for my old junior high days. For those who don't know I was a huge sci-if/horror geek in my younger years and I loved reading about "The Crazy Hook Man who kills Teenagers" or "The Ghost of the Lady in White". I ate those stories up, and apparently so did the show's creator. This show takes me back to the years before I learned what character arcs, and plot contrivances were. It strips that all away and just lets me enjoy what it was like to hear ghost stories. What it was like to get chills down my spine every time I rode down a dark road at night expecting an apparition in white to appear. What it was like to come so close to saying "Bloody Mary" to the mirror and then passing out. There is a likability to this show that can't be ignored, and there's even some great moments with the two main characters Sam and Dean (played quite well by Padalecki and Ackles) but it is that nostalgic feeling above all that brings me back each week.
282 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing.........totally awesome
cool_imran8913 September 2005
When i first saw the trailer of the show, i didn't actually get it. But now that i have seen it i completely get it. I understood completely about the entire story. I didn't know that they(cast) can tell everything that has happened in just 1 hour. Jensen Ackles again did an amazing job for the WB. He had a background of Kansas, which is ironic because he was in Kansas in another hit WB show Smallville. He played the older brother who kind of taking care of his younger brother played by Jared Padalecki. Jared's character was tired of hunting supernatural things. but when his own girlfriend dies the same way his mom died, he decided to hunt that thing. This all happened in the pilot episode. Both brothers are also looking for their father who hasn't returned to them in days. He was on his hunting trip( looking for the thing that killed his wife). This also happened in the pilot episode. I don't know if the time or day of the airing of the show will be changed, but i will watch it every week. The WB has made a wise decision of picking up this show. I recommend to everyone to watch this show. You wont be sorry.
379 out of 511 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Supernatural" is easily one of the most creative, addictive, intense shows on TV
koolkat10424 April 2011
If you have yet to watch Supernatural, now is the time to do it. Fans of lore and legends will eat up "Supernatural" without a second thought, and come back for seconds. From Demons to the Devil himself, this show has got it all. Here is a small introduction to the series, to all of you newcomers.

Supernatural is the story of two brothers, older bro Dean Winchester (played by the sexy, fantastic actor Jensen Ackles, who would be known from shows/movies such as My Bloody Valentine and Dark Angel) and younger bro Sam Winchester (played by the just-as-sexy-and-fantastic actor Jared Padalecki, known from his role as Dean on Gilmore Girls) being trained to hunt and kill supernatural beings by their father, John (played by Jeffery Dean Morgan of P.S. I Love You and Grey's Anatomy, on which he played the memorable character Denny). Years before the series takes place, John's wife, Mary, woke up to the sound of baby Sam crying over the baby monitor. She peeked into his room to see a figure,presumably John, standing by the crib. She left the room, but on her way back to bed she heard the Television downstairs. She walked down to see John watching TV. Noting this, Mary ran back up to Sam's room only to find a yellow-eyed demon standing over her baby boy. Seconds later, she was dragged onto the ceiling with a large, bloody gash in her stomach. John, hearing a commotion, quickly made it to the room, only to see blood dripping into Sam's crib and Mary on the ceiling. Before he could react, the room burst into flames. John had Dean take Sam outside while he tried to save his wife, to no avail. The house was destroyed, Mary was dead... and John had no where else to go. After that day, he swore vengeance on the Yellow Eyed Demon, and he took his sons along for the ride.

Flash forward to 22 years later. Sam is now in college, preparing for an interview at Stanford University to study Law. He is with his long-time girlfriend, Jessica. Late during the night before his interview, Sam awoke to a sound of someone in the house. After a brief struggle with the intruder, he realized it was his brother, who has been away with John for years. Dean tells Sam that their father has been missing for a while on a 'hunting trip;' a hunt for supernatural monsters, that is. After a very unexpected turn of events (which I will not state, for it will spoil some things), Sam reluctantly joins his brother on the search. The "Supernatural" series begins here.

"Supernatural" goes beyond the unexplained, hitting everything from a paranormal spirit haunting a house to the war between God and Lucifer's army, along the way meeting creatures such as the hilarious and uncalled-for Trickster, a Valentine's Day Cupid, shape-shifters, werewolves, vampires and even angels.

"God? Does this show turn religious on us?" No.

Starting in season 4, you are introduced to Lucifer, God and the angels. But, the thing is, it is definitely not what you expect from it. the lore of angels and demons is kept in parts and completely thrown on its head at others. God isn't necessarily the 'God' you know, and neither is Lucifer for that matter. They don't show the devil in the traditional way, with red skin, a pitchfork and horns. He looks like a human being. A very creepy and sadistic human being, but a human being nonetheless.

Which brings me to what I like most about the show. The effects. Many shows on television use a crap-ton of CGI (computer generated imagery) to make their monsters. Supernatural, although a fair amount of CGI is present, uses makeup effects and short cuts to get away from the bad-looking CGI beasts. Hellhounds, for instance, are invisible to the human eye. You can hear them and feel them, but you can't see where they are. Demons are large wisps of black smoke that enters a human to possess, at which point the eyes of said human turn completely black. The demons can hide the blackness to get into different areas of society without being noticed. These little alterations make the show worth watching. You don't get the cheesy looking CGI characters that most Sci-Fi shows do a poor job on due to budget and time. You get creepy, evil beasts and creatures that can scare the daylights out of you.

One more thing I ought to mention is the unfathomably amazing season finales this show puts on. Seriously. Yes, the storyline and the relationship between the brothers keeps you interested, but once you get to the finale of a season, you automatically want to watch the next. Every season has a perfect cliffhanger that will leave you on the edge of your seat. Summers are a very hard thing to get through with this show.

All in all I have to rate this show a 10 out of 10. I can't seem to find anything to fix. The acting of Jared and Jensen as the brothers is fantastic. Their moods and actions are perfect, and you could seriously believe they were real-life bros (likely due to the fact that they are best friends). The storyline is extremely well-written and perfectly paced. The dark and terrifying episodes are balanced out by the humorous ones that leave you laughing until your stomach hurts. Everything about this show is worth noting, but I can't say it all. I'll leave the rest up to you.

Now stop reading my rant about this show and GO WATCH IT.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Supergood naturally
boo_4ever18 April 2006
Supernatural is gonna draw the obvious X Files comparisons so we might as well get them out of the way now. Its stars are an intrepid duo who travel across America encountering all manner of paranormal phenomena and mythological creatures. It has a lot of ex-files staff too which is apparent if you have watch both shows pretty closely.

Supernatural isn't as smart as The X Files , nor is it as cleverly written. The X Files was ahead of the time in many ways and is still unique in others, in that it was a mature drama which took its subject matter very seriously. It managed to blend sci fi and the paranormal skillfully so that you almost didn't notice the seams. Supernatural in a way is like The X Files - lite. It knows what it is and I think is a more focused show then its predecessor. From the get go it lays it out to you that it is situated in a world where ghosts, demons and witches really do exist. Once that is established its on with the show and there is no looking back whereas the X Files constantly had the viewer questioning and thinking about what he was seeing and hearing. Where The X Files was the thinking mans science paper, Supernatural is a camp fire ghost story.

Which is more then fine by me. As a lover of ghost stories myself Supernatural makes for fantastic viewing. Its strongest points are its atmosphere and visual imagery. The storyline surrounding the brothers relationship to their father and to each other is in its fledgling stages and will no doubt become stronger over time. Already though it is fun to watch the interplay between Dean and Sam. being the older brother in a family of two myself I find myself sympathising with Dean. Not just because of that but also because I find his personality something I can relate to. His is very Mulder-like in his often whimsical approach to situations. The other brother Sam I find downright annoying at times with the overplayed teen angst.

As for the story lines themselves this is Supernaturals weakest point. So far in the first series Supernatural has a basic structure which rarely changes - brothers drive into town, weird things (usually deaths) happen, brothers use fake ID's to find out about the demon / witch / ghost just in time to save the Hot Chick of the Week(tm) wash, rinse, repeat. If it continues Supernatural is in danger of burning out real fast. However in latter episodes there looks to be some sort of mythology developing which should hopefully complicate things. The fathers connection to their mothers death, Sams visions, the Meg demon etc.

Having just criticised the story lines I have to admit I love their themes. Each week focuses on a different legend such as the woman in white, bloody mary, vampires etc. Each handled very well and with a surprising amount of knowledge. You can tell that ghost story telling is a real labour of love for the creators. It also introduces a lot of lesser known legends such as the wendigo, shrika etc. Someone is doing their homework and I cant wait to see what creatures appear in later episodes. The references to other supernatural shows such as the x files and ghostbusters is an added treat for fans of the genre. As is the classic rock soundtrack. My god someone has taste. Its like they reached into my mind and put down all my favourite past times on celluloid. Well the ones that can be viewed by under 18's anyway. I wouldn't say Supernatural has "made scary sexy". I would say its made scary cool again. If only I could be cool again too. Maybe I would be if I had a Chevy Impala too.

All in all an excellent new series dripping with humour, atmosphere and chills. Here's to series two!
271 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent beginning
djean6018 September 2005
I wasn't sure this was going to be a "must see" for me, but the atmospheric lighting, outstanding writing and acting had me from the first.

It doesn't hurt that veteran X-Files director was in charge of the pilot.

Steve Railsback (X-Files' Duane Berry) was seen briefly as the haunted husband of the ghost in question. Clever musical references as well as humorous asides, ("Agent Scully. Agent Mulder.") add spice for the viewer, not to mention outstanding "gotcha" moments and spooky special effects.
187 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent production team
starbuckscout-115 September 2005
I saw the pilot last night and was very happy with the production team. David Nutter, who was involved on the X-Files- hence giving Supernatural that "X-Files-ish tone" is a fantastic director. He is a veteran of this field having directed X-Files, Roswell, Dark Angel, Smallville, Disturbing Behavior, Millennium, etc. One of the producers, McG, has produced The OC, and has directed both Charlie's Angels movies. Jared and Jensen are placed in roles they are familiar with, Jared is playing Sam, a character who seems to be a tougher version of Dean, his character from the Gilmore Girls. Jensen is playing Dean, a character who is extremely close to being a human clone of his sarcastic character from Dark Angel, Alec. Opening a WB show with such great effects scores big with me- not giving anything away, the special effects are what Nutter and his team are capable of. Sarah Shahi as a guest star was icing on the cake. The only problem I see with the show is the fact that it is not geared towards the main demographic of the OC and Gilmore Girls (which airs in the time slot before Supernatural) and it may turn away a group of older viewers who may really enjoy it. As long as they don't call it the "teen X-Files" or "Buffy meets Twin Peaks" it will be fine. Trying to make Roswell be the next "Buffy" ruined the show, and it would be a shame to ruin Supernatural.
139 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American folktales and urban legends
celticrose-120 September 2005
I liked this show and I disagree slightly with the person who says they need to come up with original "ghosts". All of these are things that are rooted in folklore and urban legends. I think it's interesting to see how they'll explore these. Some of this is familiar yes but I'm drawn to see how they learn about each "creature" and the best way to overcome whatever they come across. It's a neat show that explores some of America's famous legends with a duo of brothers who are searching for their father and the "thing" that killed their mother. It would be neat for it to come up with new creatures but to explore the well known ones is a good way to start the season, to slowly introduce people to the otherworldly aspects of America. I recommend this show for anyone who enjoys supernatural tales and folklore.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best tv series available!
xenimuspowerup30 January 2018
Overall this is one of the best tv series of all times. Not every episode or season has been a 10/10, but the series as a whole defnitely is a 10/10.

Worth watching!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My new favorite show
ringwench13 October 2005
I am completely in love with this show.

I had barely heard about this show before it aired. I think I remember it being briefly mentioned in an article about new fall shows, but as soon as I read that it was going to be airing on the WB, I didn't give it a second thought.

After the first episode aired, a friend of mine who shares a lot of my same tastes in TV told me that I should check it out. I was skeptical, but it was being rerun in a couple of days so figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a chance.

And boy am I ever glad I did! This show is everything I've ever wanted in a TV show. It's suspenseful, the characters have depth, it's funny without being silly, it has a touch of campyness (but not enough to be ridiculous). Not to mention that the two leads are quite easy on the eyes! The strongest element of the show by far is the two leads, Jared Padalecki (Sam) and the phenomenal Jensen Ackles (Dean--who is easily one of the most compelling and likable characters I've seen on TV in a long time). They play brothers who had been separated for a few years when the search for their missing father brings them back together. They grew up hunting supernatural beings with their father so they travel across the country fighting evil things that get in their way.

Dean and Sam have excellent on screen chemistry and a dynamic that really works for a show like this. It's important for a show like this, with only two leads (and really no supporting characters yet) that the two leads be interesting and complex enough both together and on their own to keep people interested in the show. The creators have hit the ball out of the park with Dean and Sam.

Dean and Sam each bring their own strengths and weaknesses and each have their own crosses to bear. Dean still remembers his mother (who is shown in a flashback being brutally murdered by an unknown evil force) who died when he was a small child so he understands the reasoning behind his father's crusade. Sam is haunted by the death of his girlfriend (coincidentally--or not--killed in the exact same manner as their mother) which was the catalyst for him joining Dean in the search for their father, in the hopes that Dad has found out something more about whatever killed the most important women in his life.

Every episode has a "Evil-Thing-of-the-Week" so to speak which the boys must discover and figure out how to kill. Most of these things spring from myths or urban legends (ie. the wendigo, Bloody Mary).

I was very pleasantly surprised with this show, and after only five episodes, I have to say it has surpassed the many other shows I enjoy and is now #1 on my list of favorite current TV shows.

It has a nice old school X-Files feel to it (not surprising, since several people who worked on X-Files created and write for this show), which I absolutely love, as X-Files is definitely my all time favorite show.

If you like the paranormal and want to see great characters you can really care about, check out "Supernatural", I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
36 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Show On TV Today
MulderManiac20 August 2009
Supernatural is, hands down, the best thriller/horror show on TV right now. Everything about it is amazing: the cast, the writing, the story, the special effects, etc. The script is laced with funny one liners and teasing, and the characters are believable and unique. Both Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki play their roles wonderfully.

I think the main reason I love this show is the certain "X-Files" vibe it has. Not surprising, due to the fact the almost all the writers/directors are X-Files veterans. But it manages to differ itself from other shows, always staying unique and awesome.

Each story manages to feature real legends and myths, which simply adds to the authenticity of the show. Nothing is over-the-top or cheesy, but believable and genuinely scary.

And the kick-ass soundtrack helps, too. Now all we need is Mulder and Sculy to guest-star, and you've got the perfect show!! 9.5/10
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best damn TV show ever....
jimwww6 January 2008
This is the best television show I have ever seen. Take two 'movie actors - in quality' and put them on TV to test their relationships with people and themselves then add some great effects as well as superb writing and some great humor and you get an incredible mix of great, entertaining TV.

Kudo's to the producers and writers and actors.

I think these actors are ready for the big screen - maybe not in this series but in any movie I think they would be great in a film.

I think the best show so far was when Sam fell in love with the women who turns into a werewolf each night - they think they have cured her but they have not and later they find out she turned again and Dean offers to kill her but Sam does it.. You here the shot go off in the background but the camera zooms into Dean's face and he lets out one tear. Excellent.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ultimate Horror Show
mto1019 January 2019
Supernatural is a show about two brothers hunting various monsters, and that's the simplest way to put it. Based off of this small summary, you might think you know it all about this show, but you'd be wrong. There's a lot more to Supernatural than what you'd initially think. Most importantly, this show actually has a lot of heart. When it focuses on the relationship between Sam and Dean, that's when the show shines. That's right, the importance of family is the main draw/theme of this series.

For its first 5 seasons, Supernatural was one of the best shows that I've ever seen, and one of my favorites. Not to mention the fact that it's also one of the best horror shows out there. This show has it all, ghosts, vampires, demons, etc. The initial problem comes after season 5. Originally, the show was supposed to finish with season 5, but they decided to continue it. Obviously because of this, you can feel the shift downward in quality season 6 onward, but the show is still true to itself after that, and it's far from being bad. If you start the series, and really love seasons 1-5, then jump right in to season 6, and you'll probably be grateful that they decided to keep the show going.

The monsters and antagonists in Supernatural are interesting, and almost always seem fresh. With regards to this horror mythology, there's so much to pull from, so when you think of it like that, no wonder they decided to keep the show running. The main characters, Sam and Dean, are great, and are very clearly the highlights of the series. But occasionally there will be other characters that feature prominently for a while, and those are usually good as well. Namely, favorites like Bobby, Castiel, Crowley, John, Ellen and Jo, etc. Point being, there's almost always some supporting character that you can get invested in, and sometimes, those supporting characters are pulled to the forefront with the brothers. The actors all do a great job as well; with Jensen and Jared playing off of each other spectacularly.

If you're a horror fan like myself, Supernatural is a great show for you. Between the charismatic, compelling main characters, interesting antagonists, the badass Impala that the main characters drive, and the occasional hot eye candy showing up, this show seems to have it all. Supernatural is just one ultimate collection of the horror genre.

My Rating: 9.25/10
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing, for seasons 1-5, but fairly poor for the rest.
user-196-76641730 January 2015
Seasons 1-5 of 'Supernatural' were brilliant.

Although many of season 1's episodes are "hit-and-miss" and its overarching storyline is over-simplistic, the suspense, horror and urban lore makes this show unique and addictive. The plot and writing just get better and better in the next few seasons, with hints and clues that keep you hooked and gradually reveal a clever, wonderfully crafted underlying conspiracy.

The writers' attention to lore and their respectful and interesting interpretation of Judaeo-Christian mythology (in seasons 4&5) makes the content of 'Supernatural' incredibly fascinating.

Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) are complex, well- written, likable leads. Even the supporting characters - John (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), Bobby (Jim Beaver), Ellen (Samantha Ferris) and Jo (Alona Tal) are written with depth. Villains such as Meg (Nicki Aycox & Rachel Miner), Crowley (Mark Sheppard), Azazel (Frederic Lehne) and Alastair (Christopher Heyerdahl) are hauntingly chilling characters. And then there's fan favourite Castiel (Misha Collins), who undergoes an almost flawless development arc. Credit goes to all of these actors for portraying their characters so skilfully and realistically.

However, after the massive climax of the season 5 finale, the show just seems washed-out and bland. The overarching story lines are all over the place - first there's Eve, and Castiel betraying the brothers, then the Leviathans and Metatron and the Angel War. The massive discrepancy in the feel of these seasons makes it seem that they're set in completely different universes.

The mythology, especially that of the angels, is not being treated respectfully any more, especially in seasons 9-10. They are no longer proud, unbending warriors of Heaven; they've been dumbed down to one-dimensional, unintelligent, over-exaggerated, almost childish people. In most episodes the 'monster of the week' reflects the writing team's lack of depth and research.

Every episode seems to follow the same overused structure - initial death scene, investigation, death of the monster, and then a long, dramatic conversation between the brothers in the car. During these talks the brothers constantly lie to each other and suffer from massive guilt trips and while this was heartrending the first time, after the endless repetitions it's just become cringeworthy and boring. The character of Crowley, too, has become dull and uninteresting after six seasons without development.

Granted, there are a few good episodes and characters in seasons 6- 10. Kevin (Osric Chau), Charlie (Felicia Day) and Garth (DJ Qualls) are likable, unlikely heroes, while Metatron (Curtis Armstrong) and Rowena (Ruth Connell) make interesting villains. Castiel's backstory and an insight into Bobby's regular life are interesting, and there are several standalone monster-of-the-week episodes that are better than the rest.

Overall, 'Supernatural' used to be brilliant, but its overused tropes and clichés, its lacklustre storytelling and overdramatic overtones mean that it is only a shadow of its former grandeur. If you enjoy urban legends, horror, suspense and mystery, go for seasons 1-5, because they are excellent. Its creator, Eric Kripke, intended it to stop after season 5 but sadly it was continued and desecrated so that CW could milk as much money out of it as possible.
60 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrifying!
xPublicInsanity2 September 2006
This show is absolutely wonderful! It's one of the few shows I've really gotten into. The actors and guest stars are wonderful at what they do, and this show proves it. The episodes have scared me more than most movies have. Dean and Sam are an exact portray of brothers, sticking together through thick and thin, being there for each other when one is in trouble, and fighting of course. It's truly one of my favorite shows, and everything about it is amazing. The guest stars they choose are very good and the story lines are well-acted out. The scene is really terrifying as well. They make this show look so good, I never want to stop watching! I love it!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this Show!
gossipgrrl1317 August 2009
i heard of "Supernatural" a few times but i never actually watched it. i just started watching it a few weeks ago and i must say i was hooked. Jared Padalecki (Sam Wincester) and Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester) are great in this show. It kinda reminded of old school "Charmed" mixed with the "X-Files". Whats great about that show is that its also in ways easy to catch up because there's really only two main characters its easy to get into. It has non-stop action and mystery and it just gets you hooked. The acting is great and the characters have so much depth and history. This is a great show and i hope it lasts a lot more seasons. i give it a 9/10.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not bad - looking forward to more
jamiemd7 September 2005
Just saw the preview on Yahoo of the first episode and it was better than I anticipated. There are a few new series this fall with the same idea (aliens/supernatural phenomena/mystery encountered by a pair of sleuths) so it's hard to say if this show will set itself apart. Remember that "E/R" and "Chicago Hope" were two hospital dramas that debuted on the same night, at the same time, on two different networks (if you said "what is Chicago Hope?" then my point is made.) Jared Padalecki, of "Gilmore Girls," is a familiar face who gets a chance to toughen up his image a little. The first episode sets up some mysteries to be solved over the season but also has some immediate gratification. No spoilers here ~ you'll have to watch it yourself. It's got a bit of an "X Files" feel to it ~ we'll see in future episodes whether they can keep the stories as interesting while giving the talented lead actors something meaty to work with.
138 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Perfect Show-Supernatural sends thrills and chills
somme229 May 2006
SUPERNATURAL is a fantastic show that gives fans thrills and chills every episode, and it also delivers an interesting story line that captures the viewer and hooks them for the next episode. The main characters, Dean and Sam Winchester, are as different as night and day but they are united by family loyalty and the goal of vanquishing the demon that murdered their mom. They are joined by their dad, a man who had devoted his life to killing demons and searching for the killer of his wife and putting an end once and for all to the horrors that plague mankind.

I really enjoy the plot lines that the show delivers. All the ghosts, demons, vampires-they are all characters that push the brothers to the limits and test their endurance and loyalties. Every SUPERNATURAL episode has allowed me to see character development within the Winchester team.

The show knows how to grab viewers attentions. The show plays out the Winchester vendetta well and intermixes it with other events and problems. The show has also created very likable characters in the Winchesters. The creators and writers have made sure that people relate to Dean and Sam, and they have made them complex and intriguing.

SUPERNATURAL is a great show that hopefully will be on TV for a long time. Every episode offers interesting plots and characters. That is why I hope that the Winchester clan continues hunting ghosts and saving lives for many years to come.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the smartest shows on television.
zactac13 June 2010
"Supernatural" is a purely clever show with great acting and a story to keep eyes on the screen at all times.

The show is about two brothers Dean and Sam Winchester who are "Hunters" who go around killing supernatural beings who threaten the lives of humans. We see how Sam wants a normal life but when a demon kills someone close to him he goes with Dean to find their father and kill the monster who killed his loved one. During their search they find out there's more to this than meets the eye. So now as the show progresses the two brothers have to deal with the truth of how its all connected and find someway to save their relationship before it becomes to late.

One of the reasons the show works is because a key element to the show is the comedy and wit of Sam and Dean's sibling rivalry. With the combined sensitive side of Sam and the rough and sometimes annoying side of Dean they both blend in perfectly to where you could almost believe these two are actually brothers. Its not just the comedy that makes the show its also the insight of how two brothers are re-building their relationship after all the trials they go through together. With the combined elements of horror, mystery, drama, action, and the tale of two brothers, makes this show a winner in every sense of the word.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dean is the man of Supernatural
star2000-114 May 2006
I have seen many episodes of this great show and they get better all the time. For you who have not seen many or only the Pilot, you have seen that only David Nutter is involved but there is now in every episode Kim Manners/John Shiban who were very deeply entrenched in the X-files, that is why it has that great lighting and feel about it. I am the generation that you seem to think will be left out a "baby boomer" and just love it, I think that a lot of us will appreciate the show more having had the X-files for years and I would love to get the DVD boxed set of the first season as it is one of those shows that you find just another thing that you missed the first time around. It will get to audience of that I am sure as the X-files first season was a slow pick up and it just went from better to the best.

I am glad that they do have the two guys Dean and Sam playing off each other as that makes it a little lighter in parts, but Dean always seems to have the right comeback as one of the comments said, they made a throw away line about Mulder and Scully, I have found throughout the episodes there are quite a few lines like that, not necessarily about them but other small things that hit a nerve at the time that is why I must get the boxed set as soon as it hits the deck.

The quality of the acting and lighting and also the story lines so far are far above the "Buffy" teenier types, as I am not in that category and look for quality and look forward to this show only improving with time. Go Dean, (Jensen Ackles) We are up to the episode Shadows and it looks great, just the right amount of mood and they get to meet their father again, it will keep you glued to your seat, as I said it only gets better.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.