Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) Poster

A Super-hero Rightly Interpreted for the Big Screen
webspinner1284 August 2011
Like many comic-book fans I was expecting the worst from this movie. This is not because the character has any less depth than other super-heroes, but I knew that it would be extremely difficult to transition Steve Rogers to film in a serviceable way. The guy is called "Captain America" for heaven's sake.

Any comic-book reader would probably appreciate the ironies and idiosyncrasies behind such ostentatiously patriotic code-name, mostly because in print Cap has challenged the assumptions behind his symbolism, becoming a more conflicted and universal figure.

But its hard to translate any of this idiosyncrasy successfully in 2 hours. Fortunately the film, instead of getting to political, is more old-fashioned pulp like Indy or "Sky Captain," which thankfully never takes itself too seriously (which was one of the flaws of "Thor").

I had my doubts that Chris Evans could pull off the modesty and heart needed for the role, but I was wrong. As the Red Skull, Hugo Weaving was wonderfully evil in a nostalgic, serial-villain kind of way. Haley Atwell is a sidekick/love-interest with the rare quality of not being incredibly annoying, and Tommy Lee Jones is perfectly cast as Tommy Lee Jones.

The reason I found this to be a good movie was because I enjoyed it, plain and simple. It's well-photographed and well-acted. Like its titular hero, it modestly embraced its silliness, creating a charming B-movie experience.
165 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The First Avenger
MR_Heraclius22 February 2020
It wasn't that bad of a movie, but undoubtedly it had a few flaws in terms of screenplay. The story itself was fine, and I'm personally a big fan of Captain America's origin story so this movie was a nice watch for me. Maybe not so much if you don't care at all about superheroes such as CA.
56 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6.9?!? 8.5 all the way at the very least!!!
reddiemurf8123 July 2020
At the time it came out, this was my favorite MCU film. I don't know how this one could've been done much better.

The casting is perfect!! Evans was obviously the choice to portray Steve Rogers. I will forever keep Hayley Atwell in that red dress as a fond memory. Weaving as Red Skull? No brainer. No one else could've done it as much justice. Stan, Jones, Tucci, and the rest of the cast of characters bring the story together.

If you haven't seen it,,, GO WATCH IT!!!!
63 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How is this movie a 6.9
drhuffman-1726324 March 2019
People suck, that's the only reason this movie is rated to low! I love this movie!
143 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE best big budget movie of 2011
ThomasMagnumPI28 July 2011
All too infrequently, a much hyped blockbuster hits the mark right on the spot. Captain America First Avenger is such a movie. It's the best big budget movie that I've seen this year. It hits a high standard of excellence by combining a cool plot, breathtaking action sequences, a heavy dose of self discovery and realization, charisma, a dash of patriotism, love and puts it all together in one amazing package. This movie will surprise a lot of people with its heart while sacrificing none of the fun. The inner turmoil worked well, the beautiful thing is that we can relate to each character, especially that of underdog Steve Rogers. His never say die attitude and heart of a champion makes this hero more interesting then most. Captain America delivers on every level and does so with great emotional moments and it's a movie that lives up to all the hype it has generated.

Everything has converged perfectly, delivering what is now the best summer movie season in recent memory. It's certainly the best overall summer for superheroes. The cast is obviously stellar but that doesn't always mean greatness. (American Gangster, Wanted, Sphere, etc.) I'm happy to say this amazing cast delivers in every way. Believe it or not, Chris Evans himself delivers one of the greatest performances in a comic adaptation film EVER. Maybe it's because the character itself is one of the most complex and intriguing that any genre has to offer but that doesn't diminish just what a home run Evans has hit. They took the character seriously but still remembered to include fun and humor. I almost can't convey how much I enjoyed this film.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captaining the upcoming Avengers....
kunalkhandwala29 July 2011
In preparation for its 'Avengers' who assemble next year, Marvel Comics ends the super- heroes showdown this year with its final prequel about the origins of 'Captain America' – the leader of the Avengers. Unlike the hi-tech flamboyance of 'Ironman', the might and super power of 'Thor' and the destructive temper of 'The Incredible Hulk', Captain America has little to offer but his devout patriotism and impenetrable shield as a hero. However, what makes him the captain, is the quintessential quality of compassion within the weakling Steve Rogers, that values both strength and power. After shrinking the kids, playing a live board game, recalling dinosaurs and creating werewolves in his movies, director Joe Johnston takes us back to the World War II era when in the midst of the Nazi turmoil, a country sent its troops to war with one hero, who would save the day for America.

The diminutive Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) never gave up on a fight in the alleys. Being rejected several times by the U.S. Army due to his short and skinny stature was hardly a discouragement. Nothing stopped this patriot from repeated attempts and finally he was enlisted upon the recommendation of a German military scientist (Stanley Tucci). He soon became a part of an experiment that enhanced his strength and capability with a serum that made him the first and last of a new breed of super-heroes. Helpless with just one experimental recruit, Colonel Phillip (Tommy Lee Jones) insists on Steve staying out of war as just one hero would do no good. The tall and muscular Steve now sells war bonds while dancing on stage in various cities as Captain America. After much humiliation and insult, Captain decides to cross enemy lines and play a greater role by overcoming bullies such as the Nazi Red Skull (Hugo Weaving), whose Hydra initiative is aimed at world dominance.

Captain America's adventure feels like Indiana Jones in its action sequences and at times like a James Bond movie with an ambitious villain who could dominate the world. At times, even the patriotism that is portrayed, can be overwhelming but then, our hero has to justify his name..... The problem here is that Captain America's back story seems to be a mandatory feature needed as a build up to 'The Avengers'. Although its period setting provides a richer backdrop for a super-hero story, one fails to engage deeply with the Captain's motives, emotions and powers. Without his impenetrable Vibranium shield, he is just a stronger human without any powers. Will he be greeted upon his entry in 'The Avengers' with the same fan- fare that Ironman, Hulk and Thor receive? Certainly not. He may have exceptional leadership capabilities through his mild, good-hearted nature but what is a leader without a team? That is what the movie fails to address and ends up being just another super-hero movie.

Hugo Weaving's malicious plans of world dominance remind us of many European accented James Bond villains but, with a Hellboy appearance. He has played better roles than this one throughout his career and with a weak plot for world dominance, he has little to dominate on screen no matter how good he can be. Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter is dismal in her performance. Seldom has an actress portrayed such a straight face that became so forgettable. Tommy Lee Jones is fun to watch because he has the most vivacious character and Stanley Tucci, in his brief appearance is impressionable. Chris Evans is remarkable in his CGI enhanced (?) skinny version where his unfailing ambition is marred by his physical limitations. He is equally smooth in funny moments as he is when he is physically challenged in the Army training. Once he goes through his transition, it's as if he is a different actor altogether. Unaccustomed to his height and strength, it is fun to watch him realize his own potential. As a super-hero in combat, he is just like any other. Straight faced, muscled-up and awesome.

Joe Johnston's Captain America isn't an exceptional movie. It's a good, passable summer movie with loads of patriotism and historic appeal that nurture our hero. The film's concluding minutes will be the one that resonates through the audiences but otherwise, it won't disappoint critics, nor will it draw applause from the fans. In the Marvel world, X-Men still rule supreme but there is a new team lurking around the corner of 2012 and it's led by a strong man with a bullet-proof shield.....

7.818 on a scale of 1-10.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly remarkable
mfaizanak22 July 2011
To be very honest, when I saw the trailers of this movie, I felt it wouldn't do the job right. I love seeing comic books being made into movies, and I will add that I haven't read many Captain America comics. But Captain America is one of Marvel's biggest characters, if not the biggest. Every comic book fan knows his amazing shield and that virtually nothing can stop the hero when he has it with him. And this is why I was afraid. Once someone would take the idea and make it into a movie, that was it. There would be no "revised versions" or anything of the sort. There could be new versions but that would have to be years from now. You wouldn't want a movie like this to go wrong. I saw the trailers and I felt that that was exactly what was going to happen. The great name of Captain America would be ruined by a bad movie. I researched a little bit more to find who the director was and my fears grew stronger. Joe Johnston, the man who directed films like Jumanji, The Wolfman, and Jurassic Park 3? October Sky was good but that's a drama film. How could someone like that ever make Captain America into a successful movie? I went into the theater with low expectations. Forgive me if I bored you with this intro, but I felt if I wrote a review for this it had to be necessary.

You already know I liked this movie, presuming of course that you read the title of this review. It starts out with something I didn't expect at all (I'm not going to say what, and I promise I will not give any vital plot points away, just things you probably already know). After that begins the tale of Steve Rogers, a young man (boy if you wish to call him that) who wishes to enlist in the army during World War II, but finds it hard to do so because of physical problems (among others). But Steve has a good heart, and that makes all the difference. After that, well, you'll see what happens, but I'm sure you already know our little protagonist becomes a lot stronger (and yes ladies, a lot more handsome too). After having watched Chris Evans in Fantastic Four as the Human Torch, I had doubts about him too. I've barely seen any of his other movies but I obviously thought he was just a young pretty boy with not much real acting skills. But once again, I was wrong. Chris Evans is not Johnny (The Human) Torch. Chris Evans is Captain America. If you've seen Fantastic Four and its sequel, forget they ever even happened. Don't make the same mistake I did and think Evans is going to be the same as he was in his role in the two movies I just mentioned. He may not be the best actor out there, but I think he fit the Captain perfectly. Mature and serious for the matter, determined, courageous, good-hearted. Chris Evans pulled off a magnificent job. Evans became his truer self (I've seen some of his interviews and he's a pretty serious dude, but before that, I thought he was kind of a jerk based on his previous film roles). That's probably why he did this role better than he's ever done before. This is definitely his performance which will lead to him being called "Captain America" by little kids who see him on the streets.

The movie itself was a bit serious, a bit darker than I imagined, and not very cheesy at all (thank God, that was one of my other fears). It has its funny moments, and its depressing moments. But you will enjoy it, at least I hope you will, just as I did. Most of the film's cast performed very good. Hayley Atwell was great as Peggy Carter, the rather badass British, and I enjoyed Dominic Cooper's performance as the smooth and intelligent Howard Stark (yes, Tony's dad). Tommy Lee Jones, as was expected, was great in his role as Colonel Chester Phillips, and Hugo Weaving was sinister as the nefarious Red Skull. Another excellent performer was Stanley Tucci as the almost fatherly Dr. Abraham Erskine. But I think Chris Evans did the best, maybe because I didn't expect that from him.

The film has great effects, none extremely extraordinary, but they do their job perfectly. Based during the time of World War II, the movie adopted a sort of old-fashioned, 20th century style. And it works greatly. And the plot goes along just well with all of this. Somewhere in the middle, I did seem to think the movie was rushing a little too fast, but that's understandable due to length; it's longer than I thought it would be, 2 hours and 5 minutes. The film has its fair share of badass moments, moments where everything happens exactly the way you could possibly hope for them to happen. And moments where the film grabs you and makes you feel emotional, attached to the characters, especially Steve Rogers, who you stick out with from the start till the end. The hero marks the spirit of America, and has the power to inspire everyone throughout the world to be a hero, because as this movie teaches, anyone physically weak or strong can be one as long as they have a good heart.

And if you've read this entire review, I sincerely thank you greatly. But don't just take my word for it. Go watch it for yourself. Gather your opinions. And don't expect this to be the absolute best of the best because it isn't. But I'm sure if you give it a chance, you'll enjoy the experience as I did.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong start, then quickly ran out of steam.
contractorjohn200323 July 2011
Joe Johnston has done it again, managing to take what SHOULD be great action flick material and managed to make it, well, boring.

Don't get me wrong, the film started out quite well. The change from puny wimp to super hero was well done, as was the intro sequence with red skull. The whole nazi-mysticism mystique was done very well. But it seemed that after Joe Johnston filmed these two or three well thought out portions, the rest of the film was just filler.

I caught myself looking at my watch a few times, just sort of wanting the movie to end - and this was at the 1/2 point of the film. The action sequences are fairly average for the most part and I really never got that "edge of my seat" feeling as the characters faced peril.

All in all, an above-average film which could have been great if someone with better directing chops had been chosen.

448 out of 711 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"A weak man knows the value of strength."
Al_The_Strange8 August 2011
With the imminent "Avengers" movie coming next year, only one hero's origin story remains untold…until now. Falling in line with "Thor," "Iron Man," and "The Incredible Hulk," "Captain America" showcases the rise of Steve Rogers as the title character. Unlike the other films, which take place in modern times, this one goes way back to WWII, showing the Captain kicking Nazi butt! With a lot of "Wolfenstein" style occult mystique and a slight "Indiana Jones" sense of adventure, this movie has a number of solid action sequences, and plenty of imaginative special effects and setpieces. With its references to various characters and concepts of other Mavel movies, it fits into the franchise really well. It might take some stretch of the imagination to believe that Nazis could be this futuristic, but for a superhero movie, it's all good fun.

The story in this case is pretty solid. The main character shows strong development, and for most of the movie, you really root for him. There's nothing more thrilling than watching the underdog getting the upper hand. As it goes on, much of the character drama and story development gets pushed aside by the action, but it still works. By the end, voila, we have the lead-in for the "Avengers" film.

If there's any complaint for this film, it's that there could have been more. Whether it needs a stronger action setpiece or a more invoking sense of drama, I'm not sure, but something seems missing, and nothing really makes this film stand over any of the other superhero films that have come out so far.

The film is competently made, with decent (but never exceptional) photography. Editing is good for the most part, but I am not a fan of the montage in the middle of the film that makes the entire war campaign whiz by. A couple of action scenes seemed a little sloppily-edited, but it's hardly noticeable. Acting is swell; Chris Evans is surprisingly strong as the main character, and I enjoyed Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci, and Hugo Weaving in their roles. Writing seems pretty good. Production value is high, featuring lots of good (if not overly-slick) sets, props, costumes and special effects. Music is appropriately upbeat and adventurous. In the end, I'd say the film met my expectations, but never fully exceeded them. But it, along with an all-too-short sneak preview after the credits, provide the necessary bridge to the "Avengers" film.

Recommended.

4/5 (entertainment: 4/5, story: 4/5, film: 4/5)
114 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: Captain America: The First Avenger
DICK STEEL29 July 2011
Essentially an origin story, this was exactly how I remembered reading the Captain America comic books when I was younger, mostly sticking around how the sickly Steve Rogers (a CG- ed Chris Evans) became the beefcake he was through a top secret military experiment, and his constant battles with his arch nemesis standing for all things Axis powered personified by the Red Skull, played to perfection by Hugo Weaving with a German accented voice as the Johann Schmidt version. At its heart it's a clear cut battle between good and evil, although in this Marvel augmented reality, Evil is aided by the powers of the Cosmic Cube and the megalomaniacal ambitions of Red Skull and his Hydra shock troops, threatening to conquer the globe unless someone can do something about it.

Hence the first act concentrated on the innate characteristic of Steve Rogers, a determined, never say die young chap from Brooklyn whose enlistment to the US Army has consistently been met with flat out rejections, until the scientist Dr Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci) saw something in him that no one else does, and selects him as the first of intended many in the army's Super Soldier project, as headed by Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jomes). It's almost a master-protégé relationship set up in their short scenes together, but made no less powerful with nice touches about what really mattered in a world that's embroiled in a massive war.

Since there's always nothing too definitive out there as far as origin stories go in the comics world, it's admirable how Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely's screenplay still managed to extract the essence of the character, of what made him tick as the beacon amongst the do gooders, and explored how events pushed the man into donning the less than camouflaged colours into combat. Allies like Howard Stark (now played by Dominic Cooper) whom we've seen in the expanded Marvel universe of films in Iron Man 2 as the military's main contractor, Bucky (Sebastian Stan) as Steve's best friend, and Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter the British agent and romantic love interest, all factored in to build Captain America's world, which if a sequel is made would be a challenge to try and set it in the 40s again since the events here were pretty much open and close.

Action wise, while Captain America essentially doesn't possess super powers per se, still is the epitome of physical fitness, and Joe Johnston compensates this with large, and I mean large action sequences, coupled with plenty of montage to show the Captain's campaign against evil. And I thought there was a conscious effort to tone down the "America"ness of a one man crusade, and assembled a rag tag group of United Nations typed mercenaries whose loyalty is to the Captain since he busted them out from near death. His trademark Vibranium shield worked out very nicely in the fights, choreographed just as how one would imagine the real Captain America do it, with the shield featuring heavily in all fights designed that it's more than a good looking prop. I'd even appreciated effort to include the original shield Cap America used, together with a more logical reason how he had to don a cheesy looking costume that doesn't make camouflage sense, worked into emerging as an icon to rally behind in the face of adversity.

Subtlety is one of the key strengths of the film, with Captain America's additional and lesser known abilities mentioned in passing but enough for fans to pick up, with numerous references in this film that's set up to reference the other Marvel films from Iron Man to Thor. While the romantic angle was severely limited, I thought the emotional resonance worked particularly well especially if you know how the Cap would eventually end up, in a way fixed by the mythos and unavoidable, being the romance that had potential and room to develop further.

Some may say that a superhero film gets defined by the villain, but this one clearly didn't let its villain upstage the heroic character, which is quite rare. Not that Hugo Weaving did a bad job with Red Skull, but there are little evil deeds the Skull had significantly embarked upon besides pulverizing his opponents with no remorse, and his constant banter with scientist Dr Amim Zola (Toby Jones) to show just how egoistical he could be. Hopefully we will get to see more of the Red Skull in future sequels of Captain America, since Chris Evans signed for a total of 6 appearances. Evans too while being involved in too many comic book films as compared to Ryan Reynolds, will probably be best remembered for his Captain America outing than for his less charismatic Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four, and balanced both the drama and hard hitting action well, believable as the man you'd trust to rally the troops and lead them in the fight against evil.

Captain America: The First Avenger ranks up there amongst the comic book based movies done right even if the storyline comes up as somewhat expected given its necessity to focus on the hero's origins. This is undoubtedly highly recommended, and as always, don't leave before the end credits have rolled off, for the first look at Joss Whedon's The Avengers, and from the looks of it, it's going to be one heck of a ride, especially when mega egos come clashing up against one another. Summer 2012 can't come any sooner!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
America's Underdog: Retrofied and Wow-Factor-Free
jonnyhavey24 July 2011
This is the first "Avengers'" film from Marvel's contemporary franchise that puts aside imprudent jokes and replaces them with retrofied art direction and an old-fashioned superhero scheme powered by superbly written characters. However, while "Captain America: The First Avenger" avoids being classically campy, it falls short of being great with its lack of a wow-factor. Therefore, the film wields a double-edged sword tapping into new comic adaptation ground, but still suffering from clichés and an underwhelming predictable end of the world plot. Consequently, the real triumph in the film comes from Chris Evans's ("Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World") portrayal of Steve Rogers. He becomes a star straying away from his arrogant roots; instead embodying a meek, courageous, man aspiring to serve in the U.S. army in World War II. After Rogers was rejected from the service numerous times because of his small stature and health issues, Dr. Abraham Erskine (Stanley Tucci, "Easy A") sees his valor. Erskine then offers Rogers a chance of a lifetime allowing him to join the army under the command of Colonel Chester Phillips's (Tommy Lee Jones, "No Country for Old Men"). The Colonel begins to doubt Erskine's decision, but Rogers's courage allows him to transform into America's hero with the help of Howard Stark's (Dominic Cooper, "An Education") technology. Now Captain "Rogers" America must lead a group of soldiers on a quest to kill a Nazi named Johann Schmidt (Hugo Weaving, "Lord of the Rings") who delves into a mystic power changing himself into the infamous Red Skull.

"Captain America" is the classiest and most serious "Avengers'" film because of its authentic acting and art direction. Director Joe Johnson ("The Wolfman") utilizes the color spectrum to perfection creating passé visuals. He pairs this with a screenplay focused on furthering character and story development instead of over-the-top action oriented entertainment allowing Chris Evans to become a star. Evans makes a 360-degree transformation from his accustomed cocky characters, to becoming the face of underdog America. The story is further helped by its supporting casting casting choices including Stanley Tucci, Tommy Lee Jones, and its worthy villain portrayed by Hugo Weaving.

While trying to redefine the modern superhero film with classic cinematic roots, the film transgresses and loses its momentum. The film is awkwardly stuck in the middle of uniqueness and hopelessly cliché making what could have been a great movie into only being a good flick. Johnson was very aware of the generic environment his film was in and wanted to be different by cutting out the melodramatic action; however, this is still a superhero movie. Therefore, an hour of boring exposition building up to an anticlimactic ending is a disappointment.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" proves that a superhero movie can be well-scripted, well art directed and superbly acted especially by its star. However, where is the wow-factor that makes you want to be a superhero? It must not have existed until the "X-Men" came on the scene in the 60s.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From Comic Book to Screen, this one is a winner!
nettminder23 July 2011
The Marvel character movies have been a mixed bag. I know when a film is being produced and directed by people outside the comics industry that some things are lost in translation and some things are changed simply so the director can put their individual mark on it. Up until last month, Iron Man was the best movie to capture the main idea of the character and story, in my opinion. Iron Man was a very true to the mythos and great to watch. Captain America is better and that is not taking anything away from Iron Man. Yes, still some aspects of the story was changed, but I felt this was a great translation that captured and added to Captain America. They handled the background story and cast of characters with intelligence. I think the original intent of Captain America's creator comes through and what his values were. They did a great job with Steve Rogers pre-super soldier serum with the visual effects. The plot was very good and moved along well developing the story. I do not even remember any bad language at all which is rare these days. If you like super heroes and want to be entertained for two hours then this movie will do it.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captain America: The First Avenger is Marvel's Best Yet
mcvayd27 July 2011
Of all the Marvel comic adaptations, I most worried about Captain America because this is a hard comic to adapt. Steve Rogers AKA Captain America is essentially a flag waving, patriotic boy scout and that works in printed form but could end up being a cheesy corn dog on screen. True "Thor" is about an Asgardian thunder god but at it's core it is essentially a fantasy film and we have done that before, so I had a lot of trust that it would work. Captain America however is rooted in the real world and it would be really easy to make this a nauseatingly patriotic Michael Bay movie.

So this brings us to "Captain America: The First Avenger", the latest in the current series of Marvel films that lead into next year's "The Avengers". Did director Joe Johnston ("Jumanji" & "The Rocketeer") manage to bring Captain Steve Rogers to the big screen successfully? The answer is simple, yes he absolutely did. Johnston and his writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, have found the balance to bring Cap to life and one of the prime reasons this works so well was the decision to take the character back to his origins and set it in the World War II era. It would have been easy for the filmmakers to have a short World War II intro and then bring Cap into the modern world like the 1990 Albert Pyun version but we probably would have ended up with a similar mess.

The 1940's wartime era plays into that patriotic symbol theme that is vital for Captain America to work. Today it would have seemed tacky to send Captain America to Iraq or Afghanistan. The World War II setting offers Captain America a chance to be a real war hero, in a time when war heroes were celebrated, and to fight a clearly defined, evil enemy that everyone recognizes as a threat. Smart move Marvel Pictures.

The story of "Captain America: The First Avenger" is simple and for anyone who has ever read a Captain America comic, instantly recognisable. Week, puny Steve Rogers wants to join the army and fight for America. What he lacks in body size or health he makes up with bravery, heart and a solid moral code. When asked if he wants to kill Nazis, he answers that he doesn't want to kill anyone, he just hates bullies. After being rejected over and over again he is finally spotted by a scientist who is working on the super soldier program. The scientist, Dr. Abraham Erskine (played brilliantly by Stanley Tucci), recognises that Rogers has the right stuff for his program. A quick experiment later and wimpy Steve Rogers is turned into the super buff super soldier.

Let me just take a moment to say how much I loved Chris Evans in this film. Evans has always played brash and cocky characters. Take a look at "Scott Pilgrim Saves the World" or the "Fantastic Four" films for examples. We loved him in those roles to be sure, but Steve Rogers allows him to play a really humble, polite and sweet character and even after his transformation, he retains that pure and humble spirit. He may have superpowers but he really is just a kid from Brooklyn. While other superheroes are dark, brooding and full of doubt and/or pain, Captain America is like a breath of fresh air, he is brave and bright. He wants to be a superhero to do good, simple as that.

Okay, back to the film. After a minor action scene, Rogers becomes really popular in the USO circuit selling war bonds as Captain America, cheesy costume and all. It is when his best friend Bucky (Sebastian Stan) goes MIA that Steve Rogers jumps to action and the real Captain America is born. With a new costume, super shield and a crack team of commandos at his disposal, Captain America sets about systematically dismantling Hydra, the super evil science division of the Nazis led by Germany's own super soldier, the evil Red Skull.

Hugo Weaving's scenery chewing performance as the Red Skull is brilliant and he often steals the film. In fact the performances by the entire supporting cast are rock solid and this helps Evans sell the more fantastical aspects of the film. Along with the already mentioned Tucci, Weaving and Stan is the ever reliable Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Chester Phillips (Cap's superior officer) and Dominic Cooper as Howard Stark (yes, Iron Man's dad). But I have to give special mention to Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, Steve Roger's love interest. Atwell is not only physically beautiful but she also has guts and can hold her own with the boys. I found the mutual attraction between Rogers and Carter pitch perfect and I think it is one of the most successful love stories in the Marvel films yet. She is a star in the making and I look forward to her future career.

So far I have gushed and to be fair I must point out that the film's third act does have a minor logic flaw, but in the great scheme of things it doesn't take away the sheer pleasure of watching this film. I found that I had a smile on my face from beginning to end.

"Captain America: The First Avenger" proves again that Marvel knows how to bring their heroes to the big screen like no other company can. It is simply the best Marvel superhero film yet and Chris Evans IS Captain America. I can't wait to see "The Avengers" in 2012.

Oh, and one last note: stay to the end of the credits for the most satisfying post credit sequence to date.

I originally posted this review on my site http://geekactually.com
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Retro Blast
TourettesPersonal29 July 2011
Captain America: The First Avenger is a pretty decent film by its own merits. Showing the good old retro style and production design, since this film is directed by Joe Johnson who is capable of portraying the old times perfectly. Chris Evans did a great job as Captain America. Some of the action scenes are disappointingly unexciting but at least the CGI effects are eye candy. The movie ends with true patriotic heroism and full of heart. Definitely not new but it's still enjoyable.

The trope of Captain America: The First Avenger has been reused by so many superhero movies. A good guy who is a weakling became powerful then eventually saves the day. It's definitely not innovating even for the people who've never read the comics but it's a relic. Well made production design & the old fashion score. Most battle scenes are montages. The action scenes are large. It can be watchable but some of them are pretty bland and poorly directed.

The joys and the thrills mostly goes to the performances. Nothing goes wrong with Chris Evans. He did a decent job as Steve Rogers/Captain America. Hugo Weaving is fun to watch by his campiness and menace for the Red Skull. Tommy Lee Jones is the comic relief here. The special effects are everywhere. Skinny Chris Evans and the background of the 1940s. Well, they are good enough for this film.

Plenty of things worked in the end. Captain America: The First Avenger is a relic in its old fashion style but a little messy when it comes to the editing of the action scenes, but it's still enjoyable. Patriotic heroism, full of heart, Chris Evans, and decent production design. Marvel Studios and Joe Johnston really beats the awful 1990s version. The action could have been better but their flaws can be ignored. It's fun enough as a superhero movie.
209 out of 355 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utilitarian use of CGI and thoughtful story make this a don't miss movie
devcybiko29 July 2011
ONE LINE REVIEW : Utilitarian use of CGI and thoughtful story make this a don't miss movie RATING : See it in theaters (Rating scale : "See it in theaters", "Wait for the instant download", "Don't waste your time")

NO SPOILERS

Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) is a 98-pound weakling who wants nothing more than to kick some Nazi butt. He goes to every recruiting station in Brooklyn to get accepted and keeps getting turned down. On top of that, he is the neighborhood punching bag, constantly getting into scrapes with bullies bigger than him. And that is what drives Steve - he hates bullies and there are no bullies bigger than the Nazis.

He finally happens upon a special recruiting drive where a scientist (Stanley Tucci) is looking for someone with Steve's kind of guts. But tough-as-nails Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) is more than dubious and runs Steve ragged in basic training. But Steve's kind heart and determination make him the perfect personality for an injection that turns him into a super-strong Captain America.

It turns out that the Nazis aren't the biggest bullies on the block. No, it's Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) who is just using the Nazi platform as a way of taking over the world. All the players are set and we're off as Captain America goes into battle with the forces of evil.

This movie is the beginning of the Avengers series and we're no doubt going to see more of the classic Avengers from Marvel comics in coming years.

It is set in the 1940's during the second world war and the costuming and period sets are excellent. I really felt drawn into this world. However it's a sort of bizarro world where Nazis really don't show up that much and Red Skull's "Hydra" forces are everywhere.

And speaking of Red Skull - Hugo Weaving is amazing. Not just for his delivery and persona. But for being the best actor behind a mask since Michael Keeton's Batman. Weaving was the man behind the mask in "V for Vendetta" where he delivered the entire movie wearing a Guy Faulks mask. Here, he uses his flesh-and-blood face for the first third of the film and then pulls that off to reveal his Red Skull face. And still delivers a flawless intensity that he has brought to every other role he's plays since Agent Smith in "The Matrix". The man can do no wrong.

Chris Evans starts out the movie looking very frail and sickly. But once he undergoes the special treatment, he is one buff dude. I haven't spent any time trying to puzzle out the CGI magic that makes this possible, but it is impressive. I'd swear there were two actors in the role. Otherwise Evans is a pretty bland character. But he has all the golly-gee-whiz Mom-and-apple pie look and delivery that makes Captain America believable.

I said of "Green Lantern" that is was the perfect super-hero movie. I may have to take that back, because Captain America raised the bar higher. The writers took their time building the character of feeble- Steve. Then they took their time building the character of buff- Steve/Captain America. All the while defining the evil villain, creating relationships between Steve and love interest Agent Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell), and Colonel Phillips, and buddy 'Bucky' Barnes (Sebastian Stan). Unfortunately, they spent little time defining the relationships between Cap'n America and his team - but hey - it's only a 2-hour movie.

The pacing was quite steady. I never felt bored and I never felt overwhelmed with last-minute plot devices. Except for one - Red Skull has this amazing technology and they really didn't explain where it came from (other than a reference at the beginning of the film where Weaving's character finds a glowing cube in some Egyptian ruins). The movie has a sort of steam-punk feel to it that I enjoyed.

So, for it's big effects - used in just the right amount. And a story well-told, taking the time to tell it well, I gave Captain America a rating of "See it in the theaters".

BTW: I saw it in 3-d which some reviewers have complained results in dark images. I enjoyed it in Real-3D and found the light levels to be just fine.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VERY GOOD ORIGIN STORY
andreascaloni6 April 2021
During World War II, Steve Rogers, a frail man, is transformed into the super-soldier Captain America and must stop the Red Skull from using the Tesseract as an energy source for world domination. There is a plenty of good performances and pulpy action sequences. The movie has a very good CGI and a beautiful origin story. Captain America The First Avenger is an entertaining ride that doesn't take any significant and creative risks.

Rating: 7,3.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just THE BEST
hjanjua23 July 2011
I not sure what to right, in 2011, this was my second marvel movie and the both were fantastic (TOR + Captain America). I love it. Guys just go and watch. I am waiting on the Avengers now. Also, don't miss out the credits they will show the Avengers trailer in the very end. This movie starts from the making of the "Captain America" and beautifully ends up in the New York City current day where Steve Rogers and head of STARK foundation meet. Movie has a lot of details about Captain America. Only thing which I might question was gun used by Steve. I don't recall from comics that captain America has gun but maybe I am wrong. Also, what I like was Tony Stark's father Howard Stark in the movie.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best superhero movie of the year without any gimmicks
caiged26 July 2011
I've never followed Captain America in comics though I do know a little bit of the origin. So I'm one of the people who could sit back and enjoy the movie for what it was rather than nitpick on gaps in the CA lore.

The best thing about the movie is what's not in it- and that's cheap advertising gimmicks, such as a character opening a laptop to show an Apple or Sony logo, or car symbols or Coke, Pepsi or any fast food restaurant. It, however, would have been interesting to see if they could tie CA into their food products by having Marvel burgers or the American Superburger...I dislike cheap advertising tricks and thankfully this was completely avoided. Gone also was any chance of using high tech gadgets much like what was shown in Iron Man 2.

I found the plot interesting- the buildup to Steve Rogers becoming Captain American was done well and very interesting. The downside would be the action sequences which I thought would be more realistic or appropriate to the time setting. Instead several sequences were more reminiscent of what Iron Man 2 felt like.

As I'm not a CA follower some of the historical nods to certain symbols or the side characters themselves were lost to me but I did enjoy that Howard Stark's character was in the movie as it introduced the origin of Stark Industries and it's technologies of the future.

Actingwise Chris Evans did a surprisingly good job. In Fantastic Four he was OTT and hammed a lot and was generally quite annoying. Here he's more serious, focused and determined. There were a lot less quips, something I really detest in American made super hero movies. The cheesy quips might work in graphic novels or comics but in movies it comes off as plain lame. Hugo Weaving was quite good though too- he's becoming quite popular in characters taken from literature, comics or cartoons.

This is a movie for pretty much every age gap. There are no swear words (I don't even think the word damn makes it into the movie!) and no sex scenes so kids are perfectly fine to watch it. It's definitely the best superhero movie of the year and one of the better ones made entirely. I doubt that any sequel will be as good in terms of plot and story setting but in the meantime enjoy this summer gem.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Excellent
heyanerd24 July 2011
Watched this last night and found myself waiting for the movie to make that odd little death- flop that comes with simply making itself an advertisement for "The Avengers" (which is what I felt "Thor" ended up being).

Director Joe Johnston understands the era, though, as seen thru his film "The Rocketeer", and realizes that one can put characters in peril all while not completely depending on new technology. The movie also does an excellent job of poking fun at the cheesier side of the 1940's war efforts while contrasting them with the dankness of actual war.

There were some steam-punk elements to this film that reminded me of the show "The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr." and led the film easily into connecting with the upcoming "Avengers" with hints of modernization.

The Actors played each character well, ESPECIALLY Chris Evans who, obviously, as the titular Captain, wears both bravery and humility on his shirtsleeve without becoming a parody of a weakling. Each supporting actor seemed to be having fun, not unlike actors in Johnston's "October Sky". Hugo Weaving was a great choice for Red Skull IMO. Also, UNLIKE "Thor" (sorry to rain on his parade), you feel like Cap and Red Skull are a perfect match for each other. Either one could kick the others' butt, it was just a matter of who would get the upper-hand. In "Thor", Thor and Loki would get in a fight and it would look good but you had no reason to believe one could be more powerful than the other outside of the fact that the movie was Thor's to begin with.

What I was happy about is that there were a few very explicit connections to The Avengers and a few subtle HINTS at other Avenger-related franchises. While I will not give them away, each seemed to have a purpose that suited the characters and their function in the film, which was incredibly satisfying to me (again, considering what I thought was truly weak about "Thor"). If this film had simply had to run on its own merits, minus the possibility of any sequels, we would have had quite a good film alone.

If I had to compare it to any other Marvel film, I would mostly compare it to the first "Iron Man" because it uses War as a backdrop to test our characters. And Tony Stark and Steve Rogers have completely different approaches to survival. Sure, the war in the movie realistically gritty as actual war, but that really doesn't affect how you feel at the end.

This is a pretty good movie to take your 10-year old to (minus some violence) on a Sunday afternoon. Here's to Marvel and their success in making more fine films that blend Character, Action and Story together, just like their Comics do!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drop what you are doing and go see this film.
fatsamuraireviews28 July 2011
Captain my captain; you have come into your own as a movie. MAN I loved this film; it was a perfect example of what a superhero film should be. It made the best of humor and action and told us a story of how a scrawny kid from Brooklyn with a huge heart made a difference in World War II. This movie is one complete origin film that makes a huge springboard for next summer's The Avengers. The people at Marvel have an excellent crew of film makers who understand that humor, action, drama and excellent story telling are key points in film making. This movie gets a green light from me and is a great action ride that is a 'do again' just to let the movie wash over you. I am going to go see it again because it's a movie that looks good on the big screen.

To see more of this review go to fatsamuraireviews.blogspot.com
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your a communist if you didn't enjoy this movie
kovar824 July 2011
While it might not be Marvels best or most daring film, Captain America is none the less a well executed film with some good old fashion fun that is a breath of fresh air after the super hero disaster known as Green Lantern.

When they first announced they were planning to make a Captain America film, I personally wasn't every enthusiastic about the idea, especially when i heard that director Joe Johnston would be directing it(A director who's had a very mixed bag of results in terms of films he's directed in the past.)Also the whole concept behind Captain America never struck me as easily adaptable for modern day audiences( the whole "looks good on paper but not on screen" idea came to mind).But as it turned out, like Thor and Iron Man before it, the film took its rather ridiculous concept and made it surprisingly believable.

One of the best strengths of the film was actually the setting. making the film a period piece set during WW2 really did help make the idea of a hero who goes around wearing an American flag and a shield more believable, mostly because WW2 was a very patriotic time period in US history( As well as the fact that Captain America made his comic Book debut during that era.)

Another strength, which is actually the best part of the film is its cast of Characters. Unlike Green Lantern, Captain Americas cast of characters are all interesting and have a lot of personality and depth to them, and they all fit into the central story line very well. And of course all the actors really carry their parts perfectly. When they first announced that Chris Evans(the guy who played the human torch in The Fantastic Four.) would be playing Captain America I initially had my doubts that he would do the character justice. But as it turns out he really did a nice job and for the most part carried the film(especially in the scenes where he's the weak Steve Rogers.)Hayley Atwell was also surprisingly great as Peggy Carter(and not bad eye candy either.) She and Chris Evens together had great chemistry, and probably have one of the most believable relationships out of all the Marvel films. Tommy Lee Jones as always steels the show every scene he's in. Stanley Tucci also did a great job playing the kind hearted German professor who's so likable that you wish he was in the film more(and he really maintained that German accent well.), and Dominic Cooper really made you believe he was Tony Stark's father. Of course i can forget to mention Hugo Weaving as the villainous Red Skull. While at times he did feel a little under used, and he and Steve rogers were kind of missing that hero villain emotional rivalry, his character was still very interesting to see on screen, and as always Hug Weaving really played him well(and I must say the makeup effects for him were actually very convincing.)bottom line every character is like a piece of a puzzle, and once their all put together they create a great film.

Another thing i should mention is the script. One of the biggest strengths in all Marvel films is their scripts. In this film all the dialog works well and never sounds cheesy, but what makes it work is the snappy jokes and dialog that the writers put in. Unlike Transformers 3, the jokes in captain America are funny, quick, don't relay on shock value, and don't feel out of place or bring the film to a screeching halt every time a character says something funny( D.C should really take notes when they start penning their future scripts.) In terms of action and effects, the effects were good and the action was fun, but there wasn't a lot that really wowed me like when i first saw iron man back in 2008. the action never bored me, but then again it never really got my heart pumping, in fact the scene where Steve gets the super solider serum was probably the most intense scene in the film. However, what wowed me the most was the way the effects team managed to flawlessly make Chris Evans look like a scrawny 90 pound weakling. The effect was so good that i almost forgot that it was an effect and not just a stand in actor.

In the end Captain America might not be one of the most exciting super hero films out there, and the plot might follow a failure path. But still when i walked out of the theater I didn't feel ripped off by any means. after being forced to endure visually thrilling train wreaks like Green Lantern and Transformers 3, its nice to finally get my daily dose of a good story and great character development. Captain America has something for everyone. It will make the comic book fans happy, but at the same time it makes itself believable and assessable enough for any none comic book fan out there to. And in conclusion i recommend this movie for any person, comic book nerd or not, who's just looking for a fun summer film filled with good characters.

P.S (SPOILER ALERT) your really going to want to stick around after the end credits,i assure you that you will not be disappointed this time around
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent throwback to the straightforward heroism of the past, and a mightily entertaining blockbuster with great humour and loads of thrilling action
moviexclusive27 July 2011
The last of Marvel Comics' superheroes to make its big screen debut before next year's hotly anticipated 'The Avengers' was also the first to debut on print some 70 years ago in Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's Super Soldier series. Captain America was his name, his appearance at the time when the world was in the throes of World War II- though it would be months later before America finally decided to join in the fight following the bombing of Pearl Harbour.

You'd understand why then the character was created as a square-jawed, well-chiselled, honourable man with almost zero flaws- the world needed a hero in the truest sense of the word and Captain America fit that profile to a T. In adapting the comic character, writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely (of the 'Narnia' franchise) have wisely opted not to distort the wholesome hero Captain America has been known to be, and this is precisely why their film stands out tall and strong against the plethora of superhero flicks in recent years.

Indeed, moral ambiguity has become de rigueur for the modern-day superhero since the likes of 'The Dark Knight', so much so that the simplicity of old-fashioned true-blue heroism is in fact quite refreshing. And other than his physical build, Steve Rogers is no less than the perfect hero- his only wish is to enlist in the war to do his part for his nation, and he's not afraid to fight back even when faced with an opponent bigger and stronger than he is. Rogers is finally granted his wish- after numerous unsuccessful interviews- when he meets German defector Dr. Abraham Erskine (the excellent Stanley Tucci), who recruits him as part of the US Army's plan to create super-soldiers.

Needless to say, Rogers is eventually chosen among the candidates- the choice, as Dr Erskine explains to him, is because 'a strong man who has known power all his life may lose respect for that power; but a weak man knows the value of strength and knows compassion'. An agonising serum injection later, Rogers is transformed into the buff and muscular Captain America- his newfound powers quickly put to the test when he sets off down the streets of Manhattan barefoot in hot pursuit of a German spy who assassinates Dr Erskine just minutes after the experiment.

That spy is in fact under the service of renegade officer Johann Schmidt (The Matrix's Hugo Weaving in another expert villain role), the leader of the Nazis' occult research arm HYDRA building his own personal army for world domination. Schmidt is a fine nemesis to Captain America, the very antithesis of the latter's red-white-and-blue goodness and very definition of the word 'evil'. If the film draws Captain America as the equivalent of pure heroism, then so must it also paint Schmidt as the equivalent of complete evil.

But before the two go up against each other, Captain America must first overcome the politics of war, as he is quickly placed in a blue costume and made to perform on stage as an All-American hero to urge the public to buy war bonds and hence raise money for the war effort. Director Joe Johnston has plenty of satirical fun playing up the overt patriotism of these acts, presenting them in a montage that sees Captain America perform across different states but with the same act which includes a fake German Nazi. This detour into media celebrity also sees the film at its most grounded, as Captain America becomes a larger-than-life symbol used as a morale booster for the public.

He finally springs into action when he learns that his buddy Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) has been taken prisoner by HYDRA, and despite warnings from his former commanding officer, Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones), decides to go deep into enemy territory to rescue him and other prisoners-of-war. It is there he realises the extent of Schmidt's nefarious plans, the rest of the movie a non-stop thrill-ride as Captain America assembles his army to clean out Schmidt's bases one by one leading up to that final confrontation between the two.

Yes, it takes an hour before the action kicks in proper, but Johnston makes the wait absolutely worth it. Johnston has demonstrated his penchant for visual effects, and his abilities are plainly evident in the film's action set-pieces- beginning with a daring raid to rescue the POWs, followed by a sneak attack on Schmidt on board a moving train, and culminating in a climactic showdown set inside Schmidt's underground lair as well as around and in his fighter jet. There is unadulterated exhilaration to be had here, and the film's infectiously jaunty spirit adds immensely to the sheer enjoyment.

Of course given the period setting, there is a need to bring our hero to the present to join with the other members of S.H.I.E.L.D. including their team leader Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson in yet another cameo)- but kudos to both the screen writing team of Markus and McFeely as well as director Johnston for keeping this adaptation true to the old pop culture motif that Captain America was. Whereas modern-day superheroes tend to be less clearly defined in terms of black and white or should we say good and evil, this old-school hero is a perfect nostalgic emblem of heroism. That and the fact that this movie is also mighty entertaining is just the perfect finish to this summer's superhero bombast, and a run-up par excellence to next summer's 'The Avengers'.

• www.moviexclusive.com
27 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie is really good
tienzivencompany13 May 2021
Awesome! You won't waste your 2 hours to watch this movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!
comicguy346920 July 2011
I just got back from a special pre-screening (no they didn't show Avengers trailer but..) CA is awesome! I give it an 85 because there were some things they could improve on, but man was it awesome. I'd say Iron man is still #1, but CA is pretty dang close. It is par with Hulk and then comes Thor and IM 2. Yes I liked the Hulk, I couldn't figure out what fans didn't like about it, anyways another time. Great movie, I will for sure go see it again. I don't get why the critics are giving it bad reviews, I feel like they are now bias to comic book movies, or just don't understand what's going on in it. The only thing wrong with CA was that it wasn't 5 hours long, which makes sense, it was a little rushed, but whatever all the important pieces were there. It was great story telling, and man Chris Evans is Steve Rogers!!! The Red Skull was great too, an actual scary bad guy. And those of you who were worried, don't be there are Nazis and swastikas in it. It followed the comic almost perfectly, almost, you'll see what I mean, but I think for the movie universe it might just work out. The director did a perfect story telling job her, couldn't ask for anything better. I'd like to see some multiple emotional stories in a sequel as well as more bad guys. Anyways I'm pumped for Avengers (now we can see why CA is one of the greatest heroes in the Marvel Universe), and I will go see CA again tomorrow at midnight and again on Fri so hopefully I'll catch my Avengers trailer. This is one movie I don't mind paying for 2d or 3d, it's all about the story here.
41 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun Ride That's Worthy of All The Praise! Bring On The Avengers!
SpanishRicky10 August 2011
Captain America is a very very good film. I firmly believe that this character is the very toughest to bring to life in the Marvel stable simply because of his complexity. They did a fairly nice job keeping it simple but remembering to do so with heart. The film features a nice pace, the perfect cast and wonderful throwback action sequences. It does have its flaws but not enough to sink the film by any means. Overall, it's a fun ride that respectfully delivers a movie worthy of the legend and sets up for what could be amazing sequels and what will be an awesome Avengers film.

The Good

The cast is remarkable and every single character played to perfection.

Tommy Lee Jones simply stole every scene he was in and his character had the audience in the palm of his hand. Best audience reactions throughout the entire film.

Cap's wartime real costume, look and shield work is amazing. It's right out of the books. The same can be said of the Red Skull's look.

The brutality was not only welcome but needed. It grounded the film and made everything play out in a more real world tone with real consequences. The body count in this film is surprisingly high.

The film had true heart because they made Steve relatable and you instantly rooted for him and wanted to follow his path to glory. The pre-serum 98lb weakling Steve is not only an amazing CGI feat but perfectly hooks the audience.

A story featuring a true hero is so refreshing at this point. No dark brooding and moody anti-hero here…

The story itself is told with a very nice pace and in a crisp manner. Nothing drags at all.

The dialogue is witty and the humor works its way seamlessly in to the natural order of the story.

The tone and period work is dead on perfect. I loved the flavor of this film when the focus was not on anything Hydra.

The Bad

I really wish they had stayed entirely Nazi and left the Hydra element out, laser guns and all.

Having no "learning curve" hurt the overall film as well. What always works in origin films is having the hero learn and come to grips with his new powers or abilities. Iron Man and Spider-Man are prime perfect examples. I enjoyed Steve's initial use of powers because circumstances demanded it but they never showed him training or learning combat techniques at all. That's a terrible oversight, especially since the character is known as the world's greatest hand to hand fighter in terms of the Marvel Universe.

I would've liked to have seen more background on Steve as a character... growing up without a father and mother during the Depression era and the building of his ethical and moral code.

Overall: A great film that is one of the year's best and oh so close to being perfection. Wonderful job by all involved.
84 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.