The Hunting Party (2007) Poster

Let the film take you where it will and you'l have a good time
dbborroughs23 December 2007
Based on a true story of a trio of Journalists looking for a war criminal in the former Yugoslavia. The Original group included Jon Krakauer, in the movie we have Terrence Howard and Richard Gere. Where originally it started as a bunch of journalists getting drunk and deciding to go out and find the bad guys, here we have Gere as a washed up TV reporter convincing his old camera man and a network executive (who got the job because of nepotism) that he can get an interview with "the Fox" if they are willing to go along with him. They go and things instantly begin to go side ways as nothing is as it seems and no one believes they aren't with the CIA. Not to put too fine a point on it I really liked this film a great deal. Its witty intelligent with lots of likable characters and a real sense of both humor and reality.Its probably three quarters of one of the most enjoyable films of the year (even with the nastiness.) What can I say I'm a sucker for great buddy films and Terrence Howard and Richard Gere have an ease when together that makes you certain that they have been friends for decades. Its magical. If there is a problem with the film its that the film kind of loses steam toward the end. Somewhere the need for an "ending" kind of gets in the way of things and the film begins to be a bit less...I don't know, fun. Don't get me wrong its still better than many other recent films, but its just disappointing that things have to be "neat". Of course the pre-final credits explanation of whats real and what isn't a scream. See this movie, thats all I have to say. See it and go with its vibe and I think you'll have a good time.

And forgive me for being spotty about things since I'm trying not to say too much since not knowing what happens is part of the joy.
110 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood's political conscience continues to grow........
rehman-amer6 September 2007
Just got back from the premiere at Venice, where a huge round of applause acknowledged the film's quality as well as Richard Gere's enduring star status.

As society and modern youth get serious again, so Hollywood follows the trend, as movies tackle war corruption and hypocrisy following Clooney, Gore et al's lead. Shephard manages to combine thriller with humour and quips without it becoming a cheesy Lethal Weapon type ride. That's due mainly to sterling performances from Gere, reinvigorates after The Hoax, and Howard, showing a comic side after the intensity of 'Crash' Jesse Eisenberg also looks like this role was written for him personally, and the remaining cast are appropriate. The crisp, realistic docu-direction, mainstreamed by Paul Greengrass, has exerted its influence and fits neatly into this film without looking forced.

Therefore, it works - it brings a serious issue to attention with humour, compassion and enough adrenaline to remind one of the risks some people take with their lives for their causes, when most of us take the cosy path of least resistance.
100 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film well made
Gordon-1110 February 2008
This film is about a disgraced journalist trying to hunt down the most wanted war criminal in Bosnia.

I understand that a topic like this would attract rather polarised opinion. Putting aside the historical facts or political opinion, I think this film is well made and acted. It has thrilling and comedic elements. Just as things start to get slow, there are gunshots, car chases and road blocks to pump up the action. And just when the thrill gets too much, there are fun and relaxing scenes. The ending is strong and affecting, and it sends out a strong political message (or protest) about how the West is not doing their job. Jesse Eisenberg's role as Benjamin is a little redundant, but still I thought "The Hunting Party" was a good film.
51 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Better Than Average Movie
petsteph19 January 2008
It's good to see Richard Gere again. And his co-star is a fine actor. The story is good, the direction is good, you wont be disappointed - in fact you might wonder why you didn't hear about this movie before. Hollywood produces some good things and some dross; this is one of the good ones and politics must have dictated the release date, not the quality of the product, because it leaves many of the seasonal releases in the dust. This movie is about Bosnia, which most people find easier to forget. I was there in the early 90s and liked it a lot - and then the criminals came. Watch the movie - you wont regret it. I gave it a 7 and it might appeal more than that.
73 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great messy mix of black comedy and thriller
SnoopyStyle28 September 2015
Simon Hunt (Richard Gere) and his cameraman Duckie (Terrence Howard) take great risks to report on wars around the world. In 1994 Bosnia, Simon blows up on the air after anchorman Franklin Harris (James Brolin) asks the wrong questions. Simon is fired while Duckie is promoted to be a cameraman back in America. Five years later, Duckie is following Franklin to cover the peace process in Sarajevo. They are joined by a network vice-president's son newbie Benjamin Strauss (Jesse Eisenberg). Duckie is surprised by Simon who is reduced to reporting for minor foreign news agencies. Simon has a lead on Serb war criminal Bogdanović with a $5 million bounty and convinces Duckie to join him. Strauss eagerly joins up on the hunting party.

This is a brilliant black comedy and gonzo reporting thriller. The tone does go all over the place. To me, that's the charm of this movie. It feels a movie through the unstable mind of Simon Hunt. All three actors deliver the goods. There is also questions about the reality of the story. It's definitely not a balanced take on the Bosnian civil war. However it's not completely out of bounds. The wild back and forth between serious and comical adds to my appreciation of the surreality of a civil war.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bullfrog
dima_r26 January 2008
This movie is a typical American propaganda. Once again, Eastern Europeans are shown as hardly groomed, beer drinking, song singing retards. Anyone who traveled outside of of the US knows that depicting of Serbia or Yugoslavia like that is obnoxiously unfair and lacks any respect for a foreign nation. And however inspired by the true story, it cannot be based on a true story... When three men (one of whom is outright out of his mind) go in the woods in attempt to capture a person guarded by the bunch of armed people... Com on people! However, it will go for a mindless time passerby. I am amazed that producers spend a lot of money for such a piece of garbage.
85 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't ask my husband to pause once when leaving the room
noladoll31 May 2009
This film was schizophrenic. It was trying to be a cliché sidekick action flick and make a serious political statement at the same time. It failed at both.

First of all, you would never believe the two of these people (Gere and Howard) would ever be friends. Howard, who is a witness to Gere's pregnant girlfriend's brutal murder, doesn't act like this matters until half way through the movie. Then, it hits him. The acting and dialog is hideously weak by all parties. The fact that these three people overtly roam around a dangerous country, unarmed, haphazardly, is just beyond believability.

Secondly, there is nothing in this film that truly educates the viewer about the horrors of what happened there.

That being said, it is just this side of watchable on a Sunday night with no better choices.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Trust no one"?
fangomatic7 January 2009
It gets more and more disturbing as Hollywood masters the art of propaganda, calling onto seasoned actors and putting all the effort into making it work. As we all know there are at least two sides to every conflict and this movie's best is only a formal hint at that. Countless WW2 movies have finally shown us that a war movie should never portray the matter in black and white. To rip a piece out of the never-ending Balkan tragedy and to present it so blindly and preposterously cannot serve any other goal than political. Put against the recent "liberation" of Serbian Kosovo with joint Alban-NATO (as in: US-backed) efforts the movie looks even more frustrating, as we now have the motive: if you liked this movie then the next time you hear the word "Serbian" you _might_ get an eye twitch and the next time an American president (*doh* the UN, the UN of course) decides to slice up a foreign country called Serbia for the good of "democracy" or whatever you _might_ notice a righteous grin on your face. Peculiarly, in "The Hunting Party" the Serbska Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina is even misspoken as Serbia once.

Oh and by the way, Kosovo now hosts the largest US military base in Europe.

PS: War criminals aren't just those with the "kalashnikov" in their hand, shooting and raping women. Sometimes a signature is as bad as that.
52 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoy Sarajevo…The Hunting Party
jaredmobarak8 January 2008
Based on an article that was published in Esquire, The Hunting Party tells the story of three journalists—actually five as the end of the film will explain during its comical "what was true and what wasn't" montage—who took it upon themselves to find the most wanted war criminal in the world, Bosnia's "The Fox". Brought to screen by Richard Shepard, this is a movie that keeps you highly enthralled throughout. It may not be as solid a film as his previous effort, the underrated comedy The Matador, because it tries to push an agenda against all that was working for it. At its best, everything is absolutely pitch-perfect: taut thrills, suspenseful story, and great acting. As for the worst, it becomes a diatribe on how the world's governments care more about money than safety. Honestly, we all know this and don't need our entertainment to jam it into our skulls even more. Falling into a growing category for me—one that includes Blood Diamond—the end result here is a great film that just can't stop from trying to be more than it is, stumbling on its misguided mission rather than allowing its natural momentum to carry it through to the finish.

Stylistically this thing is beautiful to look at. I enjoyed the use of freeze-frames during the exposition scenes and the moments in warzones come across as real, dangerous, and above all else exciting. The joy and genuine laughter emitting from our leads after they narrowly escape death over and over again adds to the code of living life to the fullest that they both follow. Shepard holds some cards close to his chest also, showing us events leading up to Simon Hunt's breakdown, all but killing his career, however not explaining the entire story until absolutely necessary. Each character's motives aren't exactly the same towards the end as they were in the beginning. What's first a quest for redemption (Hunt), youthful vibrancy (Duck), and an excuse to show his father that he is made of more than a cushy Harvard school lifestyle (Benjamin) soon becomes a mission to do the right thing. These men are fighting for civility and humanity, two things that have left that part of the world and is in desperate need for return.

One can't fault any of our journalistic trio for anything they may find wrong with the final product. Richard Gere is spectacular as the fallen reporter, who we will eventually find has lost more than just his career. The desperation is always true and his actions perfectly played against the more sane members of the troupe. Terrence Howard shows us how great he can be and makes us wonder why he still feels the need to choose some god-awful movies between his good ones. The transformation he takes, in just a few short cuts, is rather staggering while essential to his role's motives later on. Going from an adrenaline junkie cameraman to a stand-in executive whose field work entails setting up outside the White House and Capital Hill almost makes you wonder how he ever could have changed so much. Then you think about the money, the security, and the relaxation time and soon the concept seems too good for anyone to pass up. The taste of danger never left, however, and it is his wrestling with that, by using some nicely timed humor, that helps carry the story to its conclusion. As for the boss's son, on his first foreign correspondence, Jesse Eisenberg epitomizes the book-smartass attitude someone in that position would have. It is his willingness to learn and bullheaded mindset to not let these two guys do anything to make him out to be a wuss that lead him to becoming an integral part to the team and mission at hand.

Along with them, every character that is met with on the journey to find "The Fox" adds just the right amount of infused quirk needed to keep interest. While familiar faces like James Brolin and Diane Kruger play their parts well, it is a guy like Mark Ivanir as Boris the UN executive that shines. He is caught up in this imaginary scheme of CIA hit squads coming in to do that which he wishes he could. It appears he has watched too many American movies and the dream of being a real live Deepthroat seems to appeal to his sensibilities as he attempts to help the trio in their quest to find that which is never found. These bit parts bring much of the laughter and absurdity that counterbalances the abundance of drama and high emotional toll seen at every turn. The Hunting Party does not try and sugar-coat what is going on in the Balkans and pays much attention in showing the truth and not what is read in the history books, both figuratively and literally—the book in physical form during a nice scene of Howard opening the innocent eyes of Eisenberg in a bar, along with the help of four of the real-life reporters on which the film is based.

Shot with some wonderful compositions and blocking of actors to build a sense of suspense and fear, Shepard has crafted a winner. Besides a too-long scene that goes on and on about how the UN and people in power are only out to create good PR without any work going towards punishing the monsters running free, I have little to complain about. I was almost completely removed from enjoyment with the horribly trite and overused joke with the ending subtitled words, but was redeemed with the inventive "what was real" sequence. To see the humor that was bubbling under the surface for the duration stick to the screen even after the story was finished brought the smile back to my face and made me remember all that worked, letting the more wrong than right final act to dissolve into the background.
44 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what the Hollywood is all about
tzar6418 January 2008
I just saw this movie and I had to post a comment. Not because it is such a shallow movie but because its rating is 7.3 so far. First of all, the story. It is based on true events but is very far from it. Im not saying that because I'm from Serbia, but because you cant make a movie regarding something serious like a war without researching all the facts. For Hollywood directors it is always simple - the good and the bad. In the 80's the Russians were the enemies, then the Arabs and now the Serbs. I'm not defending any side in any war, but there are always two sides and there are good and bad people on both of them. That's why movies like this offend entire nations (last year '300' was really offensive towards Persian and Iran culture). I respect all the people in the US, but the truth is that most of them get their knowledge of unknown countries through movies and movies like this are teaching them lies. I don't like movies where Arabs are terrorists, and Vietnamese are evil and all Germans are blond and nazzies. I know movies are fun but they also have educational character. That's why I'm surprised with such a high rating. If you want to see a movie much closer to the truth watch 'Savior' with Dennis Quaid or Schindler's List. I just don't understand why Richard Gere and Terrence Howard were involved in such a B production movie (it closer to the F production), but Gere was well aware what kind of movie is this because he didn't want to come to Belgrade premiere (he went to other cities around). To bad there is no 0 as rating because this doesn't deserve this 1.
68 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Hollywood tripe that betrays the lives lost in Bosnia
big_novak11 September 2007
This film is of the worst types of Hollywood films, historical enactments that trivialize tragic events by glossing over the human element while barely paying lip-service to the dead and loosely tying together history and hearsay with clichéd dialog and the worn-out conventions of cheap action-thrillers. It's no wonder MGM tried to burn-off this stinker at the end of the summer movie season, long before the more vital Holiday box office. I saw this in limited release in LA... at $12, it was a rip-off.

Terrence Howard is mediocre at best. He lacks both the charisma and power to carry this film, which is awkwardly patched together with his clumsy and lifeless narration. Jesse Eisenberg is awful. It's clear he either got this role by pulling a fortune from a Cracker Jack box or by being the nephew of an important Hollywood producer. This possibility is only more pathetic considering his character is exactly that: a greenhorn thrust into the action by an overbearing father high-up in the network he works for. His incessant blinking, acting through his eyes and pour delivery made me want to laugh. Richard Gere's performance is uneven and his character never appears quite as conflicted as the script would have you believe.

Which brings us to the heart of this piece of Hollywood clap, the pathetic excuse for a script by Richard Shepard, whose most notable work before this was directing for Ugly Betty and Criminal Minds. The pacing is awful. The film doesn't truly start for over an hour, yet the most climatic scene of the whole film is setup and over in 45 seconds. No build-up, no tension. Throughout the painfully slow first 60 minutes there are numerous clunky scenes of ugly exposition that are forced down the viewer's throat like so many pieces of un-masticated, Americanized, overcooked and soggy hot dog. I was almost sickened as the clichés rolled in one after another... Bar scenes where buddies pour drinks of the local liquor that is said (more than once, by the SAME character) to bring the Devil himself to the table... Dark characters in clandestine meetings striking a match to light a cigarette and illuminate their distrustful visage... Evil faces emerging from behind dirty plastic sheets hanging in dank basements... Triumphant characters telling bad guys, "You're going down, mother-f***er!"... CIA characters being more than happy to offer lectures about the "gray areas" their organization is forced to work in... Car chases on dark rainy nights... Long shots of foreboding looks from local villagers... Flashback after flashback of the same scenes of lust and libations with lost loves. Easily the worst of these unnecessary flashbacks was a single line of dialog that was spoken by a character barely 20 minutes before. I literally asked the film - out loud - "Do you really think I'm so stupid that I needed to hear that line again?" It's sad to see such a good idea for a compelling story completely destroyed by an inexperienced, untalented writer/director with too much power.

Even if you can ignore all the cheap Hollywood tactics used to manufacture conflict, the script is riddled with so many other problems, it's impossible to become engaged long enough to enjoy anything... Long exposition scenes that could have been summarized in one line... Horribly out-of-character dialog... Completely superfluous girlfriend characters vacationing in Greece... Manipulative scenes that are so convenient in the placement of characters and timing that they are completely unbelievable. Add in a musical score filled with sappy, over-sympathetic violin melodies that destroy every mood that the movie was so careful to ALMOST construct, and it seems as though the film's intent is to dare you to become engaged.

The worst part is that The Hunting Party tells a story of a tragic conflict and genocide that NEEDS to be heard by every American, but the film is so bad at conveying its message, it betrays the memory of those lives lost. This film will not reach the audience it should, it will not touch the hearts that need changing, it will not come close to opening enough minds to possibly prevent another genocide in the future.

Even in its last moments, the film tries too hard to draw parallels and lay shame upon the inactive parties of the U.N. and the world's indifference to atrocities... While flashing "Where Are They Now?" title cards of the various characters in the last shots of the movie, Richard Shepard (with great and smarmy righteousness), goes above and beyond any notion of responsible storytelling by adding the idea that the U.N. and other related countries were unable to find the masterminds of the genocide in Bosnia because they were perhaps too busy trying to find Osama Bin Laden. This suggestion is so ridiculous, it smacks the face of every life destroyed by this war.
63 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad movie
lewaq23 January 2010
I'll stay clear from anything with Richard Gere from now on. This movie is ridiculous. I don't even know where to start.

Bosnians switch to perfect English as needed (heavy accent is a must though).

In Sarajevo, we're given impressions our heroes are in constant danger, yet they park their car just outside their hotel on regular basis.

But the biggest rip-off is the ending. "The Fox" has 10 bodyguards. But he goes hunting only with his sharp-shooting friend. Our heroes scare him with a bang, so he drops his rifle and runs away, leaving his sniper friend behind and they just catch him without any weapon, like they were playing some game of tag.

Acting is missing altogether. I was hoping Terrence Howard would work it a bit, but he was just playing guitar and throwing swearwords around. The only character that does any acting job at all is Mark Ivanir in the comic role of UN commander Boris.

I give it an extra star for bringing attention to war in Bosnia, damages that have been done, and UN's failure there.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light comedy movie
Bosnia111 January 2008
The actor Richard Gere really took money for a bad movie.. Myself from Bosnia, i think this movie is like a joke maybe it will be fun to watch for foreigners i don't know but as for me and other people that think a little will find this like a propaganda movie sponsored buy i don't know who... They say they hunt "Radovan Karadzic" but call him another name in the movie, they take a stand on the Muslims side in the war. People often forget that even Serbs and Croatians died in that war. Yes people say remember the Srebrenica Massacre where around 7.000-8.000 Muslim men where killed but people for example forget about the 3.562 Serbian men and Women and children and old folks and other civilians that where killed in Srebrenica before the Muslims where, i think that was a act of revenge even tough you can not justify killing people with anything! This movie shows how Muslims are the good guys, and as normally Serbs the bad guys what are you to expect from a movie like this. I think this story could have been told better, i watched the movie because i live in Bosnia but if i didn't live there i would have left the cinema. I Excpected to see a good movie but all i saw was not as good as i hoped for. Bad story and i it sometimes reminds me of a comedy movie, but it is not but they tend to be so obvious maybe a 10 year old will find the movie good. I think I could write a better movie about catching Karadzic then the person who did this..

Its up to you, don't trust me i recommend you too watch the movie and tell if I'm right or not! I Give the movie a 2 for the actors that sold out so cheap i think even before they read the script...
46 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On the wave of hatred!
Glifada23 January 2009
I am really disappointed with the result of what could have been a good, interesting and decent movie. At first glance, 'The Hunting Party' resembles a low budget movie (a cheap hodgepodge as the result of a naive and unconvincing plot), but then you clearly realize it is a poisoning political pamphlet which promotes the need for and justification of revenge: if the alleged war criminal cannot be caught by officials (NATO, CIA, local police etc.) and prosecuted he must somehow be kidnapped and delivered by the three brave and righteous American journalists (sic!): not to the legal forces (the journalists decided to lose a fairly high remuneration of 5 mil. $), but directly to the furious victims because, as the movie suggests, lynch law is the only justice for some people. Blood for blood, that is what promotes this movie in 2007! And, when the victims (Bosnian Moslems) get their most wanted enemy (we see what they are about to do with him), the story can end up with nice, nostalgic and peacefull tunes of a typical Bosnian folk song, sevdalinka. I read all the comments posted here and am not fully agreed with all of you who judged the movie as wasting of time. In fact, we have something worse here - a very good example of crooked and professionally unscrupulous film-making covered up by several high-sounding names such as Richard Gere. I only feel sorry for him: this movie is not only well below his acting standards but hopefully below his professional and personal ethics! It is enigma for me (is it indeed?) why he had taken the role at all?
34 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Hunting Party
phantomtristan28 September 2007
The Hunting Party is a cold, disjointed film that seems to be hunting desperately for a genre to fit into.

The Hunting Party is based on a true story about three journalists (played by Richard Gere, Terrence Howard, and ) who go on a mission to interview and capture one of the most wanted war criminals in the world—the Fox. True story films usually seem to command a degree of respect, because as we watch it we know some or all of it happened to a certain degree. Despite opening with the line "Only the most ridiculous parts of this movie are true." I could not respect this film.

There were so many problems on so many levels I was left dumbfounded. The characters are underdeveloped, distant and impossible to relate to. The decisions they make seem almost trying to make us dislike them. The pacing and flow of the film was disorganized, chopped-up, and confusing. The entire film seemed to be random scenes of a true story tacked together to produce a story and Terrence Howard's calming narration added to the beginning and end to smooth it out and connect it. It seemed like it was trying to be an intense thriller, a true story about impossible odds, as well as a melodrama of two men who worked together and their experiences.

Unfortunately Gere's and Howard's talented performances were wasted in this messy mechanical, melodramatic film. I love true stories, but not all true stories were meant to be turned into films.
37 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time.
rafaelo44 January 2008
Opening with the cheeky warning "Only the most ridiculous parts of this story are true," "The Hunting Party" struggles mightily to juggle dark comedy, action and geopolitics. Although the film initially plays like breezy fun, it begins to crumble under the weight of lofty ambitions and a scatter shot tone. Writer/director Richard Shepard ("The Matador") obviously has something to say, but only the closing credit title cards come close to communicating a message.

"The Hunting Party" is one of those annual releases that bridge the gap between the box office heavyweights of summer and the more serious award-contenders of fall. But once audiences have a look at what's to come, they'll forget this modest "Party" ever happened.

Waste of time.
34 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
boring and superficial
msh-1213 January 2008
Wow. This movie is truly terrible. I have nothing good to say about it. If you're on a long flight and you can't fall asleep, read and then re-read the airline's crappy magazine rather than waste 104 minutes of your life watching this piece of junk. It was boring, predictable, full of stereotypes and badly written dialog. Run away! Run away! I can't believe any of the actors involved in making this film was committed to the project. Watch Salvador instead.

My comment did not contain enough lines. The minimum length for comments is 10 lines of text. Gee. I could fill a page with all that's wrong with this movie but I need to watch something good now to cleanse my mental palate.
28 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this movie only for retards?
bothapatak12 January 2010
I watched this movie yesterday and I'm still having stomach ache, because of it. This is a way to far from the worst movie I've ever seen, but may be the racist movie of the decade.

Once again, the Serbs are filmed as bloody, filthy, freaky bustards that only live for killing and raping. This is the worst prejudice of one nation that is ever filmed on the movie screen!

I write this review after Radovan Karadzic is already imprisoned in Hague tribunal. So they finally get him... but who arrested him??? Was it American journalists or CIA or Interpol? NO! Serbs arrested him and took him to justice, without US to interfere. OK, a long time passed before Karadzic was arrested, but better now than never.

And what about the end of the movie? What kind of human-beings leave a man suspected for war-crimes ( still not convicted), without a fair trial or any trial? Is that an American justice? No human rights for all... Should we people make our own law and judgements or leave it to courts?

This movie is filled with prejudice, hate, and misunderstandings. So, don't waste your time watching it.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Media war versus the Serbian nation
johnnyknez28 December 2009
First of all, I am a Bosnian Serb. And it is very sad and frustrating to see that films such as this one (and Behind enemy lines with Owen Wilson) even exists (and yet what is worse, both films has a good rating). I know that this isn't a place for political discussions but this must be said because this is what the film is about. Radovan Karadzic was responsible for many lives that was lost in the war that struck this lands, I am not defending him, but I AM trying to defend Serbian people, because they are continuously being shown in the media as terrorists (again a sadly funny thing, a movie Peacemaker (is ranked 5.8 which is lower than this 2 films) with George Clooney, the main villain is represented, I quote: "I am a Serb, a Muslim and a Croat.", and that is what it should be, because Serbs alone are not responsible for the war, for the lives lost). This films are made without any consultation with the Serbian side, movie industry doesn't care about History accuracy, it only cares about the money made from the films. I mean this is so immoral, this whole campaign against one nation. This films only creates prejudice about Serbian people. But no one talks about the other side of the coin. About the number of Serbian generals and soldiers in Hague court, and the number of Bosnian and Croat Generals in Hague. Bosnian and Croat together are not equal half of the number of Serbian generals. Why? You think it is because the Serbs were aggressors?? No, it is because there is a huge political and media war against Serbian people. Western countries are tarring apart former Yugoslavia, you all heard about Kosovo. Yet another example of media manipulation. Serbs are shown as aggressors who killed Albanians and yet there are videos of Albanians burning and destroying Serbian made orthodox churches. Albanians weren't majority in Kosovo until maybe 50 years ago. Kosovo is the cradle of Serbian culture. First Serbian state was founded in Kosovo centuries ago. And yet the whole world, in front with the USA took Kosovo from Serbia illegally and gave it to Albanians. American film industry should be ashamed for making films such as this because they are mocking and detracting a nation that is centuries older than American nation.
29 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fox hunting
jotix10023 February 2009
Richard Shepard's "The Hunting Party" is supposedly based on an Esquire magazine article. Scott Anderson's account about the encounter of journalists a few years after the war in Bosnia ended, is the basis of this film that for some reason, doesn't quite get the viewer's attention, perhaps because of the subject matter which never elicited a lot of sympathy from the American public. After all, this was an unpopular war with a recent happy conclusion when the real "Fox" from the movie, or Radovan Karadzic, was captured not too long ago.

The story is a bit far fetched, but we went along for the ride having no preconceived ideas. What seemed to be an adventure film, doesn't hold our attention, perhaps because the story has been done before, much better, one must add. The main character, Simon Hunt, is a man with an agenda. He has seen the horrors of the fighting first hand. He is made a victim of the struggle when he lost the woman he loved by the Fox, when he comes to late to do anything to prevent her tragic death. Together with his old camera man and the son of a vice-president of the network which he worked for, he sets out to capture the fugitive guy, acting on his own theory to get the Fox and getting the million dollars being offered for his capture.

Richard Gere's Simon is an unlikely hero, as the washed up correspondent that did the ultimate sin while on camera, something his former network didn't take too kindly. Now, unemployed, he has to free lance in that part of the world that saw violence during the war. Terrence Howard, who is one of the best actors of his generation, has not much to do. In a way, he feels compelled to help Simon because of the remorse he feels. Best of all is Jesse Eisenberg, who turns out as a surprise at the end.

Mr. Shepard, who wrote the screenplay as well, proves he is not as successful as he was with "The Matador". One wishes him well with any new projects.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hated it...
hot-chocolate12 June 2008
In the beginning I liked the movie... wouldn't say loved but the flow was building. My better half was already at the point of shutting it off and moving on to our next rental of the evening... I held out and by did I ever pay for it. For me this movie didn't know what it wanted to be... important social message? black comedy? drama? There were too many comedic parts OR even worse they weren't meant to be and they ended up coming off that way - in a movie that was about the horrors of war and getting involved in them personally and having to report on them or coming close to the roots of the issues and not being able to make a difference.

It was just plain awful...
22 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best thing is the end credits
bongo_k4 March 2009
Pure rubbish. An awful idea to try and make a satire film about such a sad piece of history. Its made even worse by the imposition of the typical Hollywood feelgood / satire formulae onto the movie. The film is only 1hr 40 and I struggled to motivate myself to watch it all - indeed it left such a bad impression its hard to write a complete review! The only good parts are the opening 2 minutes and the "facts" in the end credits, so save 1hr 40 of your life and just watch those two parts. If you're seriously interested in the war in ex-Yugoslavia, try watching "Savior" or "Harisson's Flowers" instead - both are excellent films and will leave an impression on you which will last a couple of days
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The tragedies of Bosnia and Serbia.
gcats-111 February 2008
This film emphasises the horrors of the Bosnian war. It emphasises the suffering of the people both Muslim and Christian who inhabited the country and who were in the centre of an ideological battle which did not benefit anyone and which tormented everyone by causing endless suffering. Again as in many films we see that war does not benefit anyone and neither does revenge. So too does outside influence by other countries serve no purpose besides to add to the confusion of the situation. All this we see through the eyes of the three journalists led by Richard Gere, who tour the countryside in seek of a good story, fame and revenge. Terrence Howard and the young Jesse Eisenberg portray their roles quite well. If you have seen Richard Gere in his many revered big screen roles, I personally feel you are going to be disappointed with his performance this time round. I expected more in comparison to his great drama roles in the past. His role in his previous film, "The Hoax" was brilliant in comparison to this one. There was just something missing if one compares his acting to his usual outstanding performance. Overall though,this is an entertaining film which is worth watching.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peace of garbage!
koleton13 June 2009
This is one of the most shameless movies I ever seen. Total disrespect for a whole ethnicity-nation of Serbs, and their right (reasons) for fight to survive. There is a reason that Serbs in Balkans had enormous human losses through XX century, like no one of their neighbors (from Germans, Austro-Hungarians, Croats, Bulgarians, Albanians, Turks). Estimate is that Serbs would be 40-50 millions strong nation, instead 10 million, what is today. On a top of that three goofy journalists hunt and catch leader of the Serbs in Bosnia, like he is on vacation in California, LOL, I'm going to vomit on a second thought.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bad acting and badly written
wayan98765432126 February 2008
This movie is using a terrible bloody war to make American culture look good. All of the cheesy lines and frequently used swear words make this movie totally meaningless. Messages you get from the film are that there is a lot of war crimes committed in this war and the people that carry out crimes are pure evil. and that these American guys are the best guys around.i cant believe that someone could make such a stupid movie let alone how Richard Gere could act on it. throw in a famous actor and a funny black guy and a nerdy Jewish kid with an afro and we got a movie. I cant say anything else its just too bad, Don't waste your time! seriously i would rather watch a grey concrete wall for a week, id get more enjoyment out of it.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.