The Triangle (TV Mini-Series 2005) Poster

(2005)

Absolutely entertaining
jessemaddox@charter.net7 December 2005
"The Triangle" was a six hour joy ride. I do not profess to be a fan of all of the SciFi Channel's programming (I recognize some great shows- Stargate SG-1 and Galactica) but the majority of "movies" shown on SciFi are predictable bounty hunting, government conspiracy, prehistoric super-animal chomp-fest. Very formulaic. Don't get me wrong, every other Saturday or so, SciFi shows a marathon of classic big screen films, and I'm generally in attendance. "The Triangle" uses a blend of clever writing, great acting, and manages to prey upon the mass interest of a phenomenon. The first two hours sets a tone that builds a surprisingly high level of suspense. The next two hours begins to mingle all that science stuff I'll never care to understand- but the acting carries it through (esp. Lou Diamond Phillips and Eric Stoltz). The finale seemed to mix that perfect amount of intellectual head scratching and great writing. I just hope folks give this mini-series a chance- it's well worth the time.
86 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From time to time Sci-Fi gets it good
siderite3 June 2006
Sci-fi channel is known for incredibly bad movies with occasional successes. This one is a keeper. A miniseries about the Bermuda Triangle that is done as a true story should be done: character development, cause and effect, a proper conclusion. I understand from other people here that seeing the series as a ... well... series, can taint the viewing pleasure. I took the liberty of watching it as a film, from start to end, and I was pleasantly surprised. The entire thing is about 3 parts of almost 90 minutes.

Actors. Lou Diamond Philips outdid himself, I think. Even in a secondary role, he had a difficult role, with a vast range of emotions. He played it well. Catherine Bell is cute as a whistle :) while Eric Stoltz does well as the lead.

All in all it is a film worth seeing, keeps you on your toes and, while some of the ideas are absurd and not everything is within the realm of logic, it is only a movie and should be taken as such. The effects are decent, without being too flashy, the music and atmosphere are also appropriate.
36 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent made for TV show. Way above the norm.
stormruston30 July 2006
This was a great little series. All the acting was top notch, not a single weak link.The special effects were adequate for a TV movie, ranging from pretty good to just short of great.

The story was fantastic, very original and sometimes down right creepy, especially Lou Diamond Phillips character. All the story lines tied nicely into a pretty exciting climax and a satisfying conclusion.

If TV was this good all the time i would subscribe to cable, sadly this is more of a exception then a rule, so I now own it on DVD.The DVD has a "making of" featurette that was enjoyable too.

Definitely worth watching if you are a SIFI fan.
47 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
creepy fun, saved by the actors
Juliette20055 December 2005
I'm not usually a 'sci-fi' kind of fan, I came to this quite frankly because there was nothing else on, and I was taken with it. It's haunted and very funny, I think in an intentional way (one line, describing a billionaire- 'he's the anti-Trump, no publicist, no parties, no public profile').

The actors rise considerably far above the material. Particularly Sam Neill, Eric Stoltz, and Bruce Davison, who all infuse their potentially one-dimensional roles with plenty of good stuff. My main gripe was with the plot, which is pretty convoluted, and didn't really become much more focused over the course of the next two episodes.

It was wonderful to see such fine Independent film actors tear up a script. They added depth and feeling to parts that normally would have none, and it became more noticeable as the mini-series went on and other actors came in and did not add that depth.

The director had a sure hand, and did a wonderful job not only with the actors but in creating a world that looks familiar, but can't possibly exist.

The music wasn't to my taste, but the photography was expertly done, there was clearly a great deal of thought and production value put into this film.

I'm hoping they'll make another one, perhaps turn this into a series, I think it may work even better as a one hour weekly adventure story.

All in all, worth a watch.
65 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get Lost In 'The Triangle'
marcus_stokes20009 September 2006
*The Bermuda SPOILERS* After having lost yet another ship in the infamous Bermuda Triangle, shipowner Eric Benirall (Sam Neill) decides to enlist the help of a quartet of specialists; journalist Howard Thomas (Eric Stolz), meteorologist Bruce Geller (Michael E. Rodger), marine biologist Emily Patterson (Catherine Bell) and psychic Stan Lathern (Bruce Davison), to discover the secret behind the mysterious disappearances in the Triangle; if they will, they'll get $5 million each.

Soon they find out that the US Navy is somehow involved, and that probably the famous 'Philadelphia Experiment' done in 1943 on the USS Aldrich may have been the start of it...

I hadn't big expectations, when I sat down and watched 'The Triangle', and I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the great names (Stoltz, Bell, Davison, Neill, and Lou Diamond Philips in the pivotal part of a man who returned alone from the Triangle and helps our foursome solve the enigma) weren't there just for show; there was also a very good script, that kept me guessing, and waiting with baited breath for the next twist, and also caring for the main characters.

A great miniseries, in the vein of '4400', which I regret not having, in DVD or otherwise.

The Triangle: 9/10.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Triangle
kimsfamily114 May 2006
It was a spur of the moment decision to watch this show, the combination of Craig Baxley, Dean Devlin and Rockne S O'Bannon gave me hope that it would be good. I was not disappointed and enthralled in it from beginning to end.

I have read a lot of books and been curious about the Bermuda Triangle since I was younger and found the show entertaining. The kids had never heard of the Bermuda Triangle and they enjoyed the show.

Eric Stoltz did an awesome job, as did Sam Neill and Lou Diamond Phillips as Meeno. Of course we were glad to see that he had both kids at the end.

The effects were good, the story fluid and the ending well...I would have bet that they would not have gotten paid (great debate ensued on that one in the house) but hey they did. Pleasant surprise.

It was worth watching, the underwater facilities and the time shifting kept it up the unexpected surprises. I liked the unusual ending, where those not doing so well end up doing well and the others well...there is balance somewhere they guess.

I never expected more than what there was, I did not see any hints of an offshoot series and am glad it concluded as it did.

I would recommend the show to those who like sci fi and don't need a ton of shoot outs to make a show enjoyable.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mystery finally solved??
kairingler14 January 2008
For most of the movie; i loved it,, the facts, storyline, acting, relating story back to Columbus, The Philadelphia Experiment very smart, Being an avid Bermuda Triangle fan over the years, and reading countless articles, books, TV, and movies , this movie i am the most happiest with as far as interesting story being told as close to actual facts as you would have it,, the acting very pretty darn good also. i just didn't care for the ending, felt they couldn't make up their minds what to do,, and after the "ending" the sappiness of what happens to the characters lives, i could have done without, i hate that in movie more than anything, but overall i really enjoyed 90% of this movie with no problem, and do recommend it to avid Triangle theorists like myself. yeah some of the theories are "out there" but plausible, considering the Navy, and the U.S. Government over the past years, so yeah i buy into the explanation and all, just kinda didn't like the last second indecision of the man in charge of the experiment, and the post character stuff .
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beats the crap out of "Surface"
softshellcrab2 April 2006
Just saw this on the Sci-Fi channel today and I loved it, especially compared to the terrible mini-series, Surface, which ran on NBC last year. Triangle had good acting, good special effects, a tight storyline, a satisfying ending, and was plausible within the basic outlines. I just hated Surface, though I watched most of it -- mostly in the hopes that it would start to get better but it never did. Surface wasted my time -- it was too long and drawn out -- and there were so many loose ends and implausible parts to that story. Its special effects were tacky too, especially that ending scene of the flood. Triangle excelled in all the places Surface fell on its face.

I don't care if the idea of the Bermuda Triangle is plausible or not. If you accept the fact that it exists for the sake of this movie, then the parts of this story make sense -- ie, what caused it and why it was causing so much havoc in the ocean. Sure there are a few things that are unexplained, but they are not major.

To address a few of the comments of other reviews here -- 1) perhaps the reason the 4 didn't meet their other selves in the alternate universes is because the others were also transported to other universes at that same time; at any rate, it's a really minor point ... 2) I read a comment that Lou Diamond Phillips' character could have been left out and it wouldn't have mattered. While it's true his character is non-essential to the basic storyline, it adds richness and texture to the mini-series in emphasizing the impact of the time shifts. Phillips also does a fine job with the role. I guess I'm biased as he's one of my favorite actors.... 3) someone said it didn't make sense that ships prior to the date of the creation of the Bermuda Triangle were experiencing the effects, but if you consider that time shifts are two-way -- that a portal that allows someone to travel back in time will also allow someone in that earlier period to travel to another time -- then it makes perfect sense.

After having recently wasted so many hours of my time on the dismal "Surface," this mini-series is a real winner.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"A great mini-series from the creators of Independence Day, X-Men and Farscape!"
simon-trek4 April 2006
I've been interested in this mini-series ever since I first learned about it back in October of last year. It wasn't just the plot that caught my attention, but also the fact that this mini-series was written and produced by two great film makers and one great TV producer combined! They include Dean Devlin the producer and co-writer of Independence Day, Bryan Singer the director of the X-Men films and Rockne S. O'Bannon the creator of the science fiction/fantasy series Frascape.

So ever since I learned about this mini-series I really wanted to now when it would premiere here in Australia. For months I've been seeing commercials on television about the The Triangle which only say "Comming Soon" with no clue of an exact start date, which really annoyed me. But at last this great mini-series has finally premiered here on Australian television!

If you like science fiction/mystery stories than this is just the mini-series for you. It has a very suspenseful and complicated plot about a psyche, a journalist, a meteorologist and an underwater scientist who are hired by a shipping billionaire (played by Sam Neill) to solve one of the world's greatest mysteries: the Bermuda Triangle. This shipping billionaire also has a problem. A number of his ships have recently disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle and he is desperate for answers. So these four characters all of whom have only just met head out on a very dangerous investigation to solve a phenomena unlike anything the world has ever known!

As for the cast of this mini-series there are only three main cast members that I am familiar with. They include Sam Neill an actor who is very well known here in Australia. Bruce Davidson, an actor best known to X-Men fans for his role as Senator Robert Kelly in the first X-Men film. And Catherine Bell who is best known for her role in the TV series JAG.

So all together this is a brilliant miniseries and I loved it! So if you like stories about the Bermuda Triangle and you love science fiction mysteries than this is just the mini-series for you!
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top Quality TV entertainment
sally-t23 January 2006
Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin are highly respected director/producers in their own right, with world-wide successful productions behind their names, such as Independence Day and Godzilla. Considering The Triangle was a mini-series for TV it is still impressive enough to rank alongside excellent film productions as well. One hopes it will make it to DVD as well so that it can be enjoyed throughout the world. The production value is high (not surprisingly considered the team who put it together) and the casting is excellent. I was especially impressed by the supporting cast and guest starring roles. Very often these minor roles are ignored and not enough effort is put into casting good quality actors for these roles and this can often lead to bringing a production down, however, in The Triangle this is not the case and they assist in making the stories and emotions truly real and believable. The majority of these smaller roles were cast in Cape Town South Africa, which makes one take note of the wonderful talent available there. I especially enjoyed the Meeno (Lou Diamond Phillips) storyline and emotionally charged relationship between him and his friend from the raft, Beatty (Sean Cameron Michael) - wonderful, intense acting. Congrats Electric Entertainment!
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing and Entertaining, But with a Disappointing Resolution
claudio_carvalho9 September 2007
While chasing a whaler, the Greenpeace boat sinks with the vessel, pulled by a mysterious force underwater and only Meeno Paloma (Lou Diamond Phillip) survives. Meanwhile, after the disappearance of six ships in the Bermuda Triangle in one year, the millionaire owner of the Mineral Shipping Lines Eric Benerall (Sam Neill) hires the skeptical journalist of The Observer Howard Thomas (Eric Stoltz); the scientist Bruce Geller (Michael Rodgers); the offshore engineer Emily Patterson (Catherine Bell) and the psychic Stan Lathem (Bruce Davison) to investigate the reasons for the phenomenon in the area. If the team succeeds in their quest for the truth, each one would receive five million dollars. They find a high-tech underwater facility from the Navy, and each one of them has glimpses of alternative reality after their discovery. They conclude that the experiment conducted by the Navy is affecting the electromagnetic balance of the ocean, while trying to find a way to close the dimensional tear opened by the Philadelphia Experiment. But they believe that the procedure actually will open the Pandora Box and destroy the world.

"The Triangle" is an intriguing an entertaining story that recalls "Sliders" in some moments. The characters are well developed but unfortunately the resolution of the plot is disappointing and confused. When the group reaches the base, in the climax of the story, it is very disappointing what happens next. The DVD released in Brazil has only 160 minutes running time, therefore 80 minutes vanished in the edition, and this might be the cause of my frustration with the messy end of the story. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "O Mistério do Triângulo das Bermudas" ("The Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle")
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was okay...barely
gee-1528 October 2007
When viewing films of this type, the viewer automatically must accept a certain amount of "mumbo-jumbo". Given that this program is entitled "The Triangle", the normally skeptical viewer must be willing to suspend a great deal of disbelief. Not a problem. But the great weakness of this film is asking the viewer to basically take their disbelief and not only suspend it but throw if off the top of the highest peak in the Rocky Mountain Range.

A few examples of "reasonable" suspensions of said beliefs:

1. The Bermuda Triangle is really a place where ships and planes disappear.(Not true but I'm okay assuming this for the sake of an interesting film)

2. The reason for the triangle has something to do with wormholes and "exotic material". (A hokey but acceptable science fiction premise)

3. The disruptions in the triangle result in shifts in universe that are unexpected. (One of the more interesting aspects of the film. Okay with me!)

Then we have some of the less reasonable suspensions:

1. A multi-millionaire selects a team of four individuals (a journalist, a psychic, a meteorologist and an oceanographer) to solve the mystery of the Triangle. Oh, and they can't use any outside people. Oh, and they'll each get $5 million dollars if they're successful. AND they have to start right away. (My suspensometer is now starting to go "sproing!")

2. Each individual has some tragic or sad backstory that manifests itself. (Does anyone have a normal life in these movies?)

3. The meteorologist is a gung-ho professor who lives in an academic world where he can chuck all of his research and classes for an undetermined amount of time by having graduate students and undergraduates students "cover" for him. (You have got to be kidding!)

4. The psychic and journalist frequently engage in tepid debates about empirical vs.supernatural evidence. (Will these films EVER bother to actually have an interesting debate about this issue? It's worth discussing but, geez, do we have to trot out the old "there are things that science just can't understand because it's too close-minded to." Sorry it just burns me up that that is the level of sophistication that screenwriters can muster.)

That's not to say that there aren't some scenes that are fairly interesting and even poignant. Catherine Bell's interaction with her birth mother in the alternate universe is quite affecting as is Lou Diamond Phillips' reactions to constant shifts in his family makeup. And yes, I must confess to finding a tear in my jaded eye when, at the end, Phillips turns over in his bed to see his youngest son lying next to him asleep. (However, what was the deal with Phillips' shower? What? In some alternate universe, the plumbing goes bad?)

Then the big eye roller, they find out that the reason for the problem is related to "The Philadelphia Experiment" (Brother!) and a secret government project run by the Navy (What? The CIA too busy?) for forty years. (Which is, of course, why we've had a federal deficit!)

Bottom line: A few good thing don't really add up to a terrific film. But it's an okay time waster.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huh?
gray1937-111 February 2006
Not that it wasn't pure joy to see the incomparable Catherine Bell again, but what was this about? What a waste of a good cast. Sadly, their acquisition must have totally sapped the budget, leaving nothing for the story/screenplay but a sappy montage of disconnected pseudo-science replete with what appear to be alternate plots when the last miscalculated branch turned out to be non-fulfilling.

The Triangle is a government cover-up and conspiracy. No, wait. Early on we found out that Columbus has an encounter there. What? There wasn't a government then. Well, never mind, the government's going to make it go away. Wait, our intrepid (and decidedly non-technical) protagonists have determined that the government's plan, whatever it is, will make things catastrophically worse. So they get in a cigarette boat and whiz out to where the *underwater* government facility is, but get there too late. So, recycle the plot and leave twenty minutes earlier. Drat! Those pesky Ospreys show up twenty minutes early, too. (Can they really fly forward at 50 knots or so with the props in lift attitude?) This time they blast the boat, from which the good guys have bailed just in time. Now the good part. The govies, who just tried to kill them, now go to their rescue and bring them aboard the secret lab. Why would they do that? Anyway, our heroes talk the misguided government scientist and administrators out of their ill conceived scheme to reverse the Triangles nefarious effects, and what? It all goes away. Just think, it's been sitting there all this time -- ever since either Columbus or the Philadelphia Experiment, I can't tell -- and if we ignore it, it'll just go away. Sheeesh!

A firm precept of good SciFi is that no matter how hokey the primary plot device, the logic of the tale has to be self and internally consistent. This approach has yielded some really challenging time travel stories, for example, because all the paradoxes in the basic idea have to be carefully worked out and accommodated. No such effort was expended here. Remember what Mark Twain (allegedly) said: "Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense." One could argue that this story must, then, be true for it surely makes no sense.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Giving Sci-fi a bad name.
dhood-428 March 2006
Rubbish from start to finish. When I heard about this mini series it sounded like it might be fantastic. Especially as Bryan Singer's name was attached. How wrong I was. I have just spent over 4 hours of my life watching one of the most appalling examples of bad sci-fi I've seen in a long time. It may have been a nice idea to have done a mini series about the Bermuda Triangle. But somewhere along the way that nice idea turned sour. It's absolute rubbish on every level. The prime problem being the appalling script. A script which was quite clearly written by someone with very little talent or understanding of basic storytelling. Why it had to be over 4 hours long is a mystery. The same story could still have been told in half the time. Avoid this trash at all costs.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
formulaic and a wasted opportunity
jamie_shares28 September 2006
Potentially quite good, but thoroughly ruined by lack of attention to storyline and development of characters. Clearly trying to capitalise on the success of Sci-Fi driven drama such as Lost/Invasion, but unfortunately forgetting to get the basics right. Eric Stolz and Sam Neill are both good actors. However, the dialogue they had to spout was glib nonsense and they knew it. Really disappointed with the cliché, disjointed storytelling and embarrassing script. Lost the will to live after 3 episodes...CGI special effects not particularly convincing and attention to detail very poor. The climax was confusing and the pseudo-science behind it very vague. Was it a weapon? Who was developing it? Who cares?
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great potential, poor payoff
vhsiv21 December 2005
After being wowed by the first night, I had hoped for something just a *little* better.

In their promotional material they seemed as though they were as jaded with much of the Triangle conspiracy material as they, the producers, were. However, after 2 nights of wonderful build-up, O'Bannon, Devlin and Singer took their eyes off the target and shifted their focus from the Bermuda Triangle to the myth of the Philadelphia Experiment.

Meh! And then they wasted Lou Diamond Philips in a side-story, that felt like padding. If they wanted to put forward a notion of alternate-reality and subtle changes, they ought to have done that with one of the other principals, and not just isolated LDP in his own little microcosm.

What many viewers, and I'm sure most people who came to Rockne through 'Farscape' were probably hoping for was something as inventive and experimental as that show had been, even if this episode echoed Farscape's 'A Human Raction'. Many of us Farscape fans were just plain disappointed.

The plot would have been much tighter if they had remained with the economy of the principals and placed greater emphasis on the mystery of the Triangle, rather than try to throw in the kitchen sink of wormholes and other gobblety-gook. Time-travel and alternate-reality stories are all about as threadbare as the last 'Star Trek:TNG' episode that used them.

None of the actors can really be blamed here, as their efforts were all solid. They only suffered from a weak script. O'Bannon - or the SciFi Channel – ought to have passed the script under the noses of O'Bannon's old workmates David Kemper and Richard Manning. They could have helped steer this production into a rock-solid effort, worth more than just the forgettable effort that appeared here.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this
coventrybird-388-10228028 December 2018
Wow, surprised it only lasted one season. Could see this story as real.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The acting helps
ctomvelu-115 April 2009
THE TRIANGLE is a 3-part miniseries, and reveals the tropical pitfalls of many miniseries: too much talk, too much padding, too little action, bad music, etc. What saves it from complete oblivion is the cast, which includes topflight names like Bruce Davison, Lou Phillips, Eric Stoltz (who practically steals this movie) and Sam Neill. A team of diverse experts is sent to the Berumda Triangle to investigate the disappearance of several ships, only to run afoul of the Navy's notorious Philadelphia Experiment. They then find themselves lost in a series of time and dimensional shifts. If anyone had half a brain, they;'d take this overly long drama and edit it into a 90-minute feature, the way the makers of the original SALEM'S LOT did. I love most of the actors here, but the thing goes on way too long and my interest eventually petered out -- well, except whenever Catherine Bell was on-screen. She can be fully clothed, with her hair tied back and wearing little or no makeup and still be skiers than most actresses dolled up and stark naked -- well, except for Virginia Madsen, but she's not in this movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What Was With the Ending?
YorkvilleGirl7 December 2005
I thought the cast was terrific...but I kept getting the impression that the story was being padded for time. Like they weren't sure when and how to finally end it.

Characters were introduced, then discarded without explanation.

The most unnecessarily confusing bit involved the group visiting billionaire Benirall's offices at the end of the movie. Instead of seeing Eric Benerall, they are dismissed rudely by his brother Winston...as Eric Benirall's assistant looks on, enigmatically.

It is never explained why Eric (Sam Neill) who has spent the series as a crucial main character and tortured personality, is not to be disturbed. (Um, maybe I missed something) And it would have, at least, made a satisfying resolution.

What made it so confusing is, after all that, the characters are given their $5 mill paychecks, anyway. Big deal. What was the point of the scene then? Just to throw in another silly, distracting plot twist?
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Builds to a climax; then crashes and burns
markbarnette8 December 2005
The mini-series begins promisingly enough, sets the initial plot well and the acting was excellent. I would disagree with others, though, that the director did a wonderful job. If this man knows the sci-fi genre he sure hid it well. The further we get into the story, the most lost he becomes; superfluous characters, pointless dialog, and increasingly inconsistent story lines.

The writers also don't seem to understand even the most basic concept of continuity. For those who watched the show, I have one question: why did these six characters in the show -- and seemingly only those six characters -- have any awareness of the different realities? For that matter, why should they? The writers and director make no effort to explain why these characters should be so privileged.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange, a bit lengthy
Verona13 March 2006
I am not so mad at all the sci-ency-government conspiracy gibberish as I was the ending- it ended, for me, with a huge "WHAT?". I did enjoy Katharine Bell, a sassy but sensual heroine who had amazing chemistry with Bruce (Michael Rodgers). But COME ON! What the hell?

I think Bruce said it all:

"My reality is having a family, responsibilities and a bum leg."

So, we never get to see Bruce and Emily get together and they have odd "lives" now. It was very strange, I kept expecting them to say "to be continued" or something.

I think TT's biggest problem was the fact that, like all mini-series, it was too long. It was like Devlin and Singer had to keep coming up with plot twists. I agree with the other reviewers that the whole point of having Lou Diamond Phillips in this film was to have Lou Diamond Phillips in this film.

I don't know, very mixed feelings.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great, Fun Mimi-Series
shepherd_moon12 June 2006
I watched the Triangle 2 months ago when it first premiered in Australia just after the Commonwealth Games. And boy did I enjoy it. I understand how there may be some criticisms of this mini-series, because I did found some bits confusing and there was one or two plot holes. I would have loved to see more collaboration between the Greenpeace guy and the team, but oh well.

The suspense and the storyline was well crafted. I loved the characters and how their everyday lives are being affected by this so-called "tear" and how they have visions of an alternate future. I thought the Greenpeace guy's 'storyline' was perhaps one of the better ones. I can't imagine how it would feel to not know one of your children and then discovering that your entire family did not exist!

Great entertainment, wonderful ride. Loved it! 10/10
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre
fiksve25 August 2006
The production is good, and the acting is fine. If they just had some kind of a plot, the end result might have been good too. But it isn't, the "theories" posed aren't just unbelievable, they are flat out not interesting. Also, its very formulaic -- Well into the second episode I completely lost interest and began entertaining myself by imagining how the producers came up with this rubbish. "We need a science guy to confirm this, but as scientists are boring we must make him a extreme sports enthusiast", "Oh no, we are stuck again. we need a psychic to just come up with a new leads from nowhere".

I usually like "occult" mysteries, And I know that I cant compare the realism to a drama or anything, but I require one thing, and thats consistency. Each explanation which comes up here are self contradicting horse manure, they only fit the characters meaningless quest to find..eh..well, I don't know, and sadly, neither do they.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Triangle.... and Hollywood complains about stealing
robnels20009 December 2005
I was looking forward to the show even though I am traditionally wary of Sci-fi Channel productions, the previews lead me to believe they had a budget for this one. They even avoided the usual suspects as stars, you know the ones I'm talking about, had a big TV show in the past and now you never see them anywhere any more unless the Sci-fi channel is making a TV movie.

I watched the first part with growing disappointment as they ran in to every cliché about the Bermuda Triangle you ever hear of, and the Lou Diamond Phillips part was strait out of every Doppelganger movie I have ever seen, and I'm going back to the late 60's here.

By the end of the first 30 minutes of night two I was done, I could tell you what was going to happen about 20 minutes before it did. I gave up and put in a DVD, a GOOD Sci-fi (I, Robot) to wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

On day three I decided to see how they would end this mess and turned it on when they met the head of the Navy. OH MY GOD, The Philadelphia Experiment??????, Been done a million times guys. And you didn't even do it so it was interesting. And back to Lou, why even have him in it?? If you cut out every one of his scenes you would still have the same movie, nothing different. I think they swiped his stuff from another movie just to fill in some extra time instead of thinking up some thing better. It wasn't even the hired team that solved the it, they only made it worse if anything and still got paid.

I can't say I hated every minute, but it was close. The special effects were superior to all other Sci-fi channel movies, they always seem to do better with the TV shows like Stargate SG1 and Battlestar Galactica then the movies. And as for the cast, I have always liked Catherine Bell movies. She always seems to keep me interested, even in Time Shifters with Casper Van Dean, but the rest of the cast just repeated the same dumb lines you have come to expect from movies of this type.

Sci-fi has always been my favorite type of movies but this was just sad. Another example of how Hollywood can't come up with an original thought. Every thing they have put in the theaters the last few years has been a remake of a remake, and not even a good one. Then they say they are loosing money because of video pirates, HA who would steal trash.

MAKE SOME THING GOOD AND ORIGINAL FOR A CHANGE You need to stop stealing from others before you can cry about others stealing from you.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Six Hours?
DerrickFerguson111 January 2006
If the Lou Diamond Phillips subplot had been cut out of the movie, THE TRIANGLE could have been shown as one three hour movie in one night which I think would have made it a lot stronger. Not that there was anything wrong with LDP's acting but I couldn't see the point of having him mostly off on his own for most of the story and only getting together with the others in the last 30-40 minutes.

The acting was quite good but I don't think the movie adequately explained the mystery behind The Bermuda Triangle. Ships have been disappearing in there for hundred of years before The Navy conducted their experiments so why wasn't that explored further? And what happened to Charles Martin Smith, his Russian crew and their submarine?
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.