16 Blocks (2006) Poster

(2006)

A few hair-pin turns before the 16 blocks are traversed
krorie4 March 2006
This is not a remake of "The Gauntlet," though the theme is a familiar one. There are, in fact, several movies with similar plots; "3:10 to Yuma" and "Narrow Margin" come to mind. A reviewer emailed me that "Midnight Run" not only has a story like "16 Blocks" but Bruce Willis' character Jack Mosley has a name that is a composite of the movie names for two of the leading roles in "Midnight Run": Robert De Niro's Jack Walsh and Yaphet Kotto's FBI Agent Alonzo Mosely. This, of course, may be mere coincidence. Though the story may seem like déjà vu, the action is fast paced making this an exciting film to watch.

Anyone who doubts that Bruce Willis can act needs only watch his standout performance in "Pulp Fiction" to see what depth this actor can bring to a demanding role. The role of Jack Mosely may not be challenging to Willis, but he still gives it all he's got which is plenty. Playing the part of an over the hill New York cop with a game leg, nothing to live for, and a drinking problem seems easy for Willis to make it all believable.

The criminal, Eddie Bunker, Jack must deliver to testify within a certain time frame is played with gusto by hip-hop artist Mos Def. Eddie is the most verbose prisoner ever. He rattles on and on about anything that comes to mind, some of it funny, some of it trite. He also has a riddle that is not answered till near the end of the film.

A standout performance is delivered by David Morse as the leader of the dirty cops, Frank Nugent. Morse is in danger of becoming typecast as a dishonest lawman. I'm hopeful he will become more diversified in his roles since he is such a talented actor.

This is another winner from action director Richard Donner. If you like his other successful concoctions such as the "Lethal Weapon" flicks, "Superman," "Conspiracy Theory," and "The Omen," then you will certainly enjoy "16 Blocks."
140 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
excellent suspense
ageorge10237 March 2006
This movie was an excellent surprise. It starts slow, but stay with it. Your first look at Bruce Willis as the burnt-out over the hill cop tells you this will not be the normal shoot-em-up cop drama. The plot starts building almost instantly, unlike many movies where you have to wait through thirty minutes of fluff before the story goes anywhere. The characters in the movie are surprisingly endearing, honest and genuine. They're just normal enough to identify with. Not the standard super evil villain and valiant good guy. Bruce Willis is awesome in his role as the tired underdog struggling with the morality of torn loyalty. Mos Def, whose character's voice was a little aggravating, played an excellent supporting role. The relationship he develops with Willis'character is both surprising and humorous. Overall, the movie was tense from the start and is filled with suspense, humor and a great deal of drama. It takes some unexpected turns and has a great ending. I highly recommend it.
130 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I underestimated 16 Blocks
tankeredbell3 March 2006
I wasn't entirely sure this movie would stick out from the rest but I chose to go since I had nothing else to do. Hell am I glad I was bored. 16 Blocks is a wonderful thrill ride with lots of action/suspense and mild comedy. Any Bruce Willis fan would love this like they did Hostage. Willis plays Jack Mosley, a drunk/hungover cop that seems to have lost his touch. He gets all the scrap jobs that no one wants and one of these jobs brings him straight to Mos Def who plays Eddie, a very hard to understand, very talkative guy who has apparently witnessed something and is due to testify at 10 sharp. It's about 2 hours until he has to be at the court house which is 16 blocks away and a hell of a lot of cops standing in the middle. Mosley doesn't entirely know what to believe, the kid or his ex partner of 20 years but he puts his faith into the kid and the thrill ride begins. Hands down the best dirty cop film I've seen in a while.
178 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
16 Blocks is intense, suspenseful, and even funny
PhatPhillyPhan4 March 2006
Bruce Willis is known for being a great action movie star. Richard Donner is known for being a great action director. The combination of these two should create great hype. I saw this the first day it was out and I guess it almost lived up to my expectations. Bruce Willis portrays Jack Mosley, a alcoholic cop who, after a long day of work, has to escort a prisoner to a trial for a testimony. Mos Def plays Eddie Bunker, the prisoner with a dream of becoming a baker. They have to go 16 blocks in a little bit over a hour. They encounter multiple attempts on Eddie's life, and Mosley begins to suspect other cops of this. 16 Blocks is an intense thrill ride with multiple twists. Great camera angles that create more suspense help you really understand what they are going through. David Morse did a great job playing the dirty cop. The only problem is that it has some parts that would make you laugh. This may take away the seriousness of the movie from some viewers. It can be corny and predictable at times, but 16 Blocks is a good flick and you should see it.
48 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In years...
Efenstor29 May 2006
I haven't seen a movie in years that would be able to touch me as deep as this movie did. Here you won't see piteous freaks or ill children. Just two adults: one elderly white cop and one young black guy (even not really a criminal). But I'd never believe how touching one action-packed day of their lives can be! There are dozens of a-cop-and-a-criminal movies like this but they are all not nearly like this! They are stupid and I never liked that kind of flicks. This movie is splendid. It really should be something to make such a fantasy/sci-fi fan like me to like a criminal drama (not really a drama, read further). Maybe the very idea of the film is plain, maybe the plot has somewhat unrealistic turns (who proved that real life hasn't?) but the characters and their behavior is so real, full of senses and inside thoughts that their acting touches the very soul! And the thing I really loved: unlike many "high art" movies this one ends realistically WELL because, maybe I am too naive, God is kind and life is not a movie. Such a movie ends well: it was really a kind surprise for me! My bow to the director, he's genius. The actors as well. Someone is still able to shoot truly remarkable movies.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oustanding Performances by Bruce Willis and Mos Def
jennifer_lenz28 February 2006
This is one of Bruce Willis' finest films yet. He plays a tired old cop who is handed the menial task of driving Mos Def, a criminal, who has to testify in court. Little does he know, he winds up running into very much trouble. Although one might think that this movie cannot be suspenseful because it takes place within the radius of 16 blocks, many twists and turns occur which make it very interesting.

Mos Def also delivers an outstanding performance through the use of his accent and his hilarious anecdotes throughout the movie. He adds a lot of depth to his character and to the movie as a whole. Thus, the audience is able to sympathize with him. Overall, this movie was excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great fast paced thriller.
125 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
satisfying
antoniotierno6 April 2006
Certainly a decent cop - thriller; it's quite entertaining despite some actions sequences that are really unlikely (they could also be called brainless). In fact credulity is put to the test a lot of times, nevertheless "16 Blocks" is a kind of movie that makes you reflect on what you saw. Bruce Willis plays the unusual part of a broken down cop ready for both rehabilitation and retirement, weary of working and living as well; Bruce has never looked more unkempt and scruffy but his part his acting is really persuasive and cogent. The ending could (should) have been less predictable but the job is in my opinion well done.
50 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
People Can Change
Claudio Carvalho2 December 2006
In New York, the alcoholic and decadent detective Jack Mosley (Bruce Willis) is assigned to deliver a prisoner to the court sixteen blocks far from his precinct in 118 minutes. Eddie Bunker (Mos Def) made a deal with the D.A. office and will identify and testify against a dirty detective. While driving to the tribunal, Jack is attacked by a group of corrupt cops and protects Eddie.

In spite of being a flawed movie, "16 Blocks" is a good entertainment with lots of action and an optimistic, hopeful and commercial message in the end that people can change, with the redemption of Eddie and Jack. Mos Def irritates with his accent, and Bruce Willis is totally different from his usual shape, inclusive with a "tire" on his belly. It is funny to see all the damage caused by the bus in Manhattan and no press and no interventions of Ada MacDonald (Brenda Pressley), who was interested in the case. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "16 Quadras" ("16 Blocks")
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fun flick
elizardo-127 February 2006
saw preview in NYC. Fun action flick. somewhat derivative but some good audience laughter in right spots and applause when appropriate. should have good broad based appeal. didn't fall asleep which, these days, is a good sign. Bruce Willis does weary hero well though its unclear why his character does what he does. Mos Def is funny and engaging but nasal voice is annoying after awhile. Best job is by David Morse who is completely believable as a NYC cop though somewhat unbelievable in terms of what he will go through to do what he feels he must do. Others have drawn parallels to The Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood and there are definite similar themes and scenes but , obviously , more updated and , actually fun.
43 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
some good elements but they fail to fully come together
Roland E. Zwick26 March 2006
"16 Blocks" features an aging Bruce Willis as a broken-down, burned out NYPD detective assigned to transport the key witness in a police corruption trial from his jail cell to the courthouse where he is scheduled to testify 16 blocks away. However, something goes terribly awry when the cops who are the targets of his testimony attempt to knock off the witness, forcing Willis and his charge to run for their lives through the crowded streets and deserted back alleys of downtown Manhattan.

"16 Blocks" deserves points for at least attempting to provide a bit more in the way of characterization and theme than we are used to in run-of-the-mill police procedurals, but the film winds up falling flat despite the best of intentions and some first rate performances by Willis and Mos Def as the man whose life Willis feels compelled to protect. For even though the low-keyed approach writer Richard Wenk and director Richard Donner have taken towards the material should have made this a more believable and realistic film than most in its genre, the filmmakers keep undercutting that truth by having the two fleeing gentlemen go through so many hairbreadth escapes that we begin to think that not only are these NYPD officers corrupt but amazingly incompetent as well. Moreover, the schmaltzy, humanity-of-man ending, with its theme of mutually achieved salvation and redemption, comes across as a contrived piece of sentimental uplift that never rings true or convincing.

What's good about the movie is its occasionally witty one liners and the performances by the actors in the two lead roles. Willis, craggy-faced, gimpy and sporting a noticeable middle-age spread, is subtle and subdued in the role of a man who has grown apathetic and cynical over the years, and Mos Def makes a very compelling character out of Eddie Bunker, the criminal-with-a-heart-of-gold who never stops talking, but whose deadpan, singsong delivery endears him to the audience. The actors alone compensate for the underdeveloped script and the overall sense of ennui that permeates the film.
53 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Was good action flick.
Chris` S3 March 2006
I Saw this Movie and was happy with how it came out. A good movie definitely worth seeing. a lot of action, tied in with a lot of twists. In that sense i mean you go "oh hes about to get caught" when the unexpected comes up. Was good acting as well all around, Bruce Willis made a fine Hero, or anti hero if you could call him that. The beginning started off fast and the ending came on slow. in my opinion the way a movie should come on. About the pg13 though, F bomb was dropped once (twice if you count a replay of it saying) The musical score also did a nice touch to the scenes. Dropping to low sad tones when death is about to occur, and jumping to a pulsing drum run when escape is occurring. Overall i give an 9/10 as very little was wrong if anything at all. I mean as a matter of fact besides maybe length or questionably of motives, i would say there is no problems at all found in the movie.
67 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly decent for a familiar Hollywood cops 'n' bad guys thriller
Leofwine_draca20 January 2013
16 BLOCKS is a neat little Hollywood thriller that might not offer the bulldozing excitement of a DIE HARD movie or the fantastic stuntwork of a MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE flick, but which still generates plenty of suspense from its straightforward premise. It tells the story of a cop and a criminal, two men who have to cross New York before their deadline runs out. Of course, there's a lot more at stake than it first appears, and gradually director Richard Donner weaves a story of friendship, betrayal, skeletons in the closet and, above all else, the need to "do the right thing". It's a story that's character-focused throughout, with the emphasis on the developing relationship between Bruce Willis' detective and Mos Def's criminal. Some might find this emphasis off putting, but I for one thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bruce Willis is much as we met him in DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE (and indeed there are many parallels and references to that movie in this one); he's washed up, past his glory, except here he's even worse, saddled with a paunch and a gammy leg. Once the bullets start flying, Bruce's character takes a turn for the better and he becomes the everyday hero we all know and love him for. I was prepared to dislike Mos Def's high-talking criminal but, surprisingly enough, he's one of the best things in the film, and he really makes the criminal character his own, adding warmth to the feature. David Morse, off our screens for too long, is as great as ever as the corrupt cop who becomes the nemesis of the heroes.

While the film is not action-focused, there are some highly impressive set-pieces which strive for realism – the stand-out scene being the bus hostage rescue, of course. Elsewhere, the layer of gritty realism – no pyrotechnics here – and the endless cops-vs-robbers stealthy sneaking around generate plenty of tension and also excitement. My only real complaint is with the ending, which could have been handled a little better, but then it chooses emotion over action and it's a character-focused finale rather than one with big bangs. I remember a few years back when the film S.W.A.T. attempted a similar storyline; the difference is, that film was a piece of crap, and this one is rather good.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I just can't take it anymore
CineCritic25179 September 2006
Apart from all other variables this film is ruined by one thing and one thing only: Blabbermouth Mos DeF.

My god, this is the first time I have EVER seen a fair-budget movie been wasted by something like this. For a couple of weeks now my headphone has got a nasty screek which is annoying, but it's not half as bad as the continuous blabber in the most annoying tone of voice I have ever heard. After a good fifteen minutes a was yelling to my screen to shut him up. After 30 minutes I was praying to God to keep him quiet. After 45 minutes I was about ready to jump out of my window.

Thank God I got the sense to just press the eject button. And I think I will now play some deathmetal albums volume up to get rid of that nasty blabber echo still in my head.

Avoid this like the plague.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ummm....It's been awhile since I've seen a movie that bad... wow...
theillusion856 March 2006
Where do I start? Bruce Willis should not be allowed to grow a mustache. But no, that's not my main complaint.

The main story in the movie is that he (Bruce) has roughly 2 hrs to transport a prisoner from the cell block to the court house, yet the cops are trying to stop him. OK, good idea. I'd watch the movie based on that.

The movie is slow from start to finish. I don't mind slow movies with a purpose. King Kong, for example, is slow in the beginning, yet I love it. 2001: A Space Odessy and The Birds are very slow, yet I find them good movies. This movie was slow because of poor writing. If you want to see some well done writing that is done in real time (1 hr video is 1 hr of story), watch 24.

But it goes down hill rapidly. Bruce Willis plays a depressed detective that really doesn't give a rip about his job. He's always tired. He's old and run down. He doesn't "snap out of it" enough to make his character interesting.

The prisoner, Mos Def. What the crap? Does he have mental problems? Is he a little eccentric? Is he just annoying? It's not clear. And what is up with his voice? The story was not written well. There were a lot of continuity errors. Like Bruce calls for some help, yet not only do they never show up, but they're never mentioned again. It's like it never happened. Then there were times where they acted like they had 5 minutes to get to the court house, times where they acted like they had 5 hours, and time where they acted like they'd given up on making it, or the time had already passed.

Far too many times, the bad guys were able to guess exactly where Bruce was going, yet it seems way to perfect. Almost like, he's a white male, aged 40, I bet he went to his old friend from college that works at K-mart for advice. That's not what happened, but it was way to precise of a guess to be written off as smart bad guys.

O, and the ending was predictable. There was a slight twist that I didn't see coming, but nothing huge. In the end, Bruce's character is still his old tired self, except he now likes his birthday.

The only movies I've seen that are worse are, Bulletproof Monk and Sphere. Bruce, I hope you get back to some real movies soon, like Sin City, Six Sense and Pulp Fiction.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
this movie made me angry
swqdrcewjltuso5 June 2006
If you watch this movie be sure you are able to mute the sound. Not only that Mos Def only talks about opening up a bakery and baking cakes for children's' birthdays he does not even stop talking about it throughout the whole film. If I was Bruce Willis in this movie I would have shut him myself just to make him quiet. Apart from that the film contains lots of illogical behaviour from different characters. To sum up one can say that the flick was good in the first twenty minutes. Then Mos Def begins to fall on ones nerves what makes the the film worse and with the beginning of the bus kidnapping it loses any existence authorization. I wasn't as angry after watching a film as I was after watching '16 Blocks' for a long long time.
28 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
painful
jamespsullivan14 March 2006
Yes, it's true. This movie was awful and if I could get my money back I would. It was the kind of film that if you could go back in time to help out the screenwriter's, producers and the director and even Bruce and mos def you would. The pacing was wrong, the structure and plot lines were so lame and predictable.....Its like they took a bunch of different cop movies;copland, Narc, die-hard and yes even speed, and put them into one. Quite poorly I might add. And as annoying and pathetic of an actor mos def was, he was the best part about the film.

The people in charge; the director, producer, writer(s) should be ashamed for recognizing what kind of crap they were creating. Hope the paycheck was worth it.

Let me revert. AWFUL!!!!!
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why won't that guy shut up?
danielmahfood5 April 2006
The annoying voice was bad enough, but the fact that he NEVER shut up at any point in the movie made this thing unwatchable. As they flee in the streets and hide from people trying to kill them, they still have time to sit and babble endlessly, and always loud enough to ensure that anyone looking could find them. Without ruining the movie for anyone who wants to witness this trash for themselves, I will say that the bus scene is the most absurd and annoying of them all.

Mos Def ruined the movie all on his own, but Willis didn't really do anything stop him. He could play this part the way he did in his sleep, and it looks like he did. The man playing the archetypal "bad cop" was just as lazy adding nothing to the hackneyed script and even contributing to its unoriginality with clichés of his own. This character's mindlessness, particularly in his final scene, was idiotic to the point of insult.

To be fair, the plot was interesting enough. If it were a little less cliché and unrealistic, and much better done, this movie would be as good as any run of the mill action thriller-type. I did find myself trying to add complexity and originality to the story as it went, though. As it is, it has to be one of the biggest wastes of time and $7.00 available to the general public.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply terrible
footzie19 March 2006
This is a truly terrible movie.

In most suspense films one is asked to"suspend disbelief" at some moment in order for the film to continue to entertain and keep you involved. In "16 Blocks" you are asked to suspend disbelief in the first 10 minutes of the film, regarding the basic premise of the movie. I found the premise and the execution of the plot of the film to be an imposition upon me, my time, and my money. It is poor movie of the week TV fare.

Bruce Willis is so obviously an alcoholic mess from the start that I shudder at the thought that the "blue wall" of police solidarity would close around him even for a moment. It is a shame that David Morse, an admirable actor in so many ways, is stuck in this mess.

Why don't movies come with a money back guarantee. This one certainly should.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Intrigue , action and suspense with a sensational Bruce Willis
ma-cortes2 March 2007
The film concerns an experienced but tiring cop named Jack (Bruce Willis) about his retirement . The aging detective is assigned the last mission , transporting sixteen blocks away a foul-mouthed delinquent , from the precinct until the court . He is aware that the African-American young named Eddie Buken (Mos Def) is allegedly to testify against NYPD agents . He made a covenant with the D.A. office for identifying corrupt detectives at courthouse . Meantime , along the way , they're attacked by vicious gunfighters and pursued by all N.Y.C policemen and they find themselves under siege into a bus and surrounded by the SWAT . Then , they team up to flee , trying to get out towards the trial building .

The movie displays suspense , action ,thriller and is very entertaining . The film's writer, Richard Wenk, has reported that he originally conceived of the project with himself as writer and director and, before shopping it around to anyone else, first approached Richard Donner because they had a struck up a good relationship when Donner really liked his rewrite of a script for Lethal weapon 4 (1998) , even though that script was not used . It's a special buddy movie between a dreary , boozy cop magnificently played by Bruce Willis and a fast-talking prisoner well acted by Mos Def , detaching an agreeable chemistry . Although the film is principally interpreted by two main actors also contains exceptional performances by its entire secondary cast , especially by David Morse and Jenna Stern . Living musical score adjusted appropriately to the action by Klaus Badelt and adequate cinematography by Glen McPherson . The movie produced by Milennium (Trevor Short ,Boaz Davidson , Danny Lerner) usually producers of low-medium budget but here was lavishly filmed . The motion picture was professionally directed by the veteran Richard Donner . He's an action cinema specialist with numerous titles (Assassin , Conspiracy theory , Timeline , Lethal Weapon I..). Rating : Better than average . It's a must see for Bruce Willis fans in spite of his characterization as an old man .
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Willis tries a change of pace.
ikanboy10 March 2006
When we first see Bruce Willis dragging himself up the stairs, his weariness as a human, and a cop, is evident. He is a spent man, a drunk, a Schmo, uncomplainingly taking on the scut work his brothers hand out to him. As it is Bruce Willis, and as we have seen the preview, we know that there is going to be an Epiphany moment around the corner.

It comes when he is asked to look the other way as his buddy's (most prominently David Morse, as the sociopathic ex partner) rub out an informant that Willis is dutifully transporting to the Court house.

When it comes, Willis keeps the brakes on, and continues to move slowly up to his crowning moment. Perhaps too slowly. For an action movie there is much down time, time enough for Def Moses to steal the movie, which is O.K., because in this movie Bruce is content to let his Co- Star have all the best lines, and most of the best scenes.

Thankfully both stay in character, so that the unexpected ending fits into the movie without jarring the mood of the piece. The mood is just like Willis's character: dark, weary, and dispassionate. It is, in the end, a movie that focuses on character rather than action. Just when I thought that the movie was going to have me accepting the epiphany as a typical Hollywood cliché, it offers an explanation that is quite believable.

I like my action movies to go at breakneck speed with occasional breaks to catch my breath. This one takes so many breaks that the pace often slows and my interest started to wander, but it had enough twists and "unlikely" moments that allowed our heroes to escape, that it kept the interest from waning too much.

Too often I had a hard time hearing Def, as he speaks in a street patois that, like most popular music, is ironically lyrical: it has a beat but the lyrics are hard to focus on. Like Bruce he keeps the brakes on, and I am grateful he did not go down the road of playing his role in the obligatory street wise, hyped up, smart ass jive mother******. He lets his character grow likable, and has the patience to let us catch up with him.

************SPOILER*****************

The premise of the movie is too laughable. Who is going to believe the testimony of a lowly Black "Hemmorhoid" over the word of dozens of New York's finest?
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Predictable and clichéd, but mildly entertaining
Shawn Watson7 May 2006
16 Blocks is the kind of movie you can really only watch once and even at that you'll be correctly guessing what happens next as it goes through loads of familiar developments with a lot of unsubtle foreshadowing. I'm surprised that Richard Donner managed to make a film so tepid.

The rapidly ageing Bruce Willis plays a downbeat, alcoholic cop who is talked into transporting a witness (most definitely Mos Def) to the courthouse to testify against dirty cops. Only those dirty cops make it very difficult for them to make this seemingly simple, short journey.

Since the film runs 102 minutes and they have 118 minutes to get to the courthouse, it's not strictly in real time. But it did very much remind me of Phone Booth in terms of brisk pacing and bustling New York backdrop. A suspension of disbelief is seriously required as a few completely implausible things happen.

I mean, how the hell do the dirty cops constantly manage to catch up with them. Do they have secret homing devices and teleport machines? Why did Willis not shoot any of them in the foot so they couldn't follow? Why didn't he identify himself properly on that bus full of complete moron passengers?

Richard Donner has proved himself a master of action in the past but this PG-13 rated movie is just packed full of jittery, blurred, badly-lit, incomprehensible shoot-outs. A harder nature and bad guys that DID more evil instead of talking about already doing it would have made a better movie.

Rent this. And completely forget about it the minute you switch the DVD player off.
36 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Complete Garbage
santegeezhe14 November 2006
This movie is terribly, wretchedly, god-awfully horrible. In fact, I can't recall the last time I saw a movie that was so bad. Please, for the love of god, don't watch this movie! The worst part is that I had a vested interest in liking this movie. Let me explain. The bulk of this stinker was filmed in Toronto, and some of it was even filmed in my apartment building. The scene where Mos and Bruce get chased into the Chinese dude's apartment, and the elevator scene - those were filmed in my building.

It was definitely interesting to see how Hollywood works "up close" (example: painting over our ancient stairwell, only to re-paint it with fake "handprints" and grime - like the original wasn't grimy enough). I even got to briefly meet Bruce Willis, which was a cheap thrill, although there was no eye contact - his gaze was downcast the entire time. I guess he was getting into character... I also found it interesting that a 10 minute sequence in a movie would inconvenience our entire building for several weeks - no elevator, cables and equipment strewn everywhere, etc.

In any event, I was pretty pumped about getting to see my humble abode on the big screen. Unfortunately, that's the only enjoyment I got out of this terrible, terrible movie. It almost doesn't bear discussing, it's simply that bad.

The plot is clichéd as all-friggin-hell. Everything reeks of paint-by-numbers script-writing and characterization. Trust me, this is nothing you haven't seen fifty million times before. There's absolutely no suspense, drama, or interest. I just wanted it to be over as quickly as possible. And Mos Def is simply maddeningly annoying and deserves to have his Screen Actor's Guild membership revoked.

This movie is beyond bad. In fact, it surpasses bad and achieves the status of disturbingly bad. What can you say about an "action" movie where the most exciting scene consists of a bus speeding down an alley destroying air conditioning units? Avoid this tripe at all costs.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average Cop Movie is Average
tacmovies18 December 2009
Story: The story is fairly archetypal within the police procedural genre: A beat down cop defends an innocent on the run from the polished but corrupt police establishment. There are many, many cop movies that share this premise, and most of them are written so much better. I'm going to get crucified when I say this but even Street Kings had a more inspired version of the same story, and LA Confidential has no fears of this movie ever catching up to it either. The archetype works, so this story isn't bad, but it just feels adequate and lifeless. C

Acting: Mos Def's character annoyed me so badly that I kept hoping his character would die in this movie, and the worst part is that I know he can do better, like he did in Be Kind Rewind. Bruce Willis does an effective job of playing an alcoholic cop, but nothing terribly memorable here. The real show stealer was David Morse as one of the most likable villains in the history of movies. He's doing a horrible thing, but he just seems like such a nice guy while doing it, and he'd probably even invite Willis over for supper after the dust settled, assuming he got his way. He's good... and he bumps the acting category up to C level.

Direction: The atmosphere is very depressing, which was probably by design for this story. There are lots of awkward pauses, lots of Willis giving confused looks and looks of disdain for his life instead of a reply to of character's dialog. Again, this is perfectly acceptable, but not exceptional. It's average, and average direction gets a C.

Visuals: This is probably the strongest part of this movie. The visuals make use of lots of shadow, which assist the atmosphere of depression. The Godfather has no worries of losing it's title of best use of shadows in a movie, but this is really this movie's strong point. B

Overall: This movie is okay. Average. If it's on TV and you've got nothing better to do, watch it. If your local library has it, rent it. I wouldn't pay anymore than about five dollars to watch this one. And you certainly don't need to be searching this one out unless you're a huge fan of some member of the cast or crew. C
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a great film....honestly
CoolHand99617 June 2006
This movie had everything that makes a good thriller and also becomes a memorable film with the great ending that really left you with a great feeling about friendship and change. The acting was great. Of course Bruce Willis wont get any credit at all for his performance because " hes ot a good actor" which is just ridiculous and i don't even wanna go off on this because it will take too long. Mos Def was great too even tho the voice was a bit testing but in the end it also proved memorable. David Morse was in my opinion the best part about the movie...the guy is just so cool and rather witty at times as well. A great movie and even though the movie didn't gross 4830385954 dollars like some cruise movie....it should prove that bruce willis and his films will go down to be much better then those of the box office boys like cruise.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Police Drama Of The Decade
Tasos Tz.9 June 2006
Richard Donner is back with one of the best police dramas of all time.

Bruce Willis is back too, with the role of his career. Forget Willis's past. This is his magnum opus. He plays that character he's played so many times before only this time he knows what works and what doesn't. His performance alone is worth watching this movie. He plays the old washed-out, alcoholic cop that finds a chance to redeem himself and takes it. This is the equivalent of Clint Eastwood's role in 'The Unforgiven'.

Mos Def is excellent too. He shows real maturity and control over his performance. David Morse is the icing on the cake. He plays the villain you hate to love. His performance is worth an Oscar for supporting role.

The harmonious combination of all these elements is because of Richard Donner being behind the camera. Of course he has done the 'Lethal Weapon' series and with '16 Blocks' he gets the chance to show the dark side of police stories. The most important element in the movie is the sense of realistic intensity, projected by Willis' outstanding performance.

Seeing Steve Kahan in the movie made me feel warm inside. I wish Richard Donner would make films more often.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this