Shazam! (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,362 Reviews
A little known fact about the reviewers saying this movie is 'Just okay'
flashbatmanquestion28 March 2019
They must have superhero fatigue. Why? This movie is at the very least comparable to every other. Here's what this movie has:

First, a lot of really genuinely good comedy. You aren't going to laugh at dirty jokes, you aren't going to laugh at corny jokes, you're going to laugh at genuinely well written and performed comedy. In fact, probably soon to be one of the most iconic comedic moments in superhero movies to date with Shazam and his foe.

Second, this movie has more than one cameo. The entire team did a great job of keeping a secret cameo (and it's not the one that people might think of at the very end).

Third, this has such a great portrayal of Foster families. Very often movies have these really negative, terrible portrayals of Foster kids and the families they go into. The family that Billy gets into genuinely care about each other. It's easy to see why Billy would want to accept them. Especially after you find out some information which I will not reveal here.

One common criticism is that this movie forces drama between the comedic parts and that it doesn't work well. This is only somewhat true. The drama is believable, but it's a little forced, but let me play devil's advocate. We have gotten very used to incredibly great dramas, but not every movie can have this. It's a superhero movie. In all honesty, the drama in most superhero movies always comes second. It is never really THAT captivating. This shouldn't be held up to the standard of great dramas films. Really, no superhero movie should. With that being said, I find the motivation for the villain to be persuasive. Imagine that you are a child that is being bullied. Typically if you cannot rely on your family and friends to help, you're going to probably grow up with anger in your heart. In this case, he has no friends and his family ARE the bullies. Someone criticized this, but they're completely wrong. That's a strong motivation to be someone who wants to take his anger out on others (especially family).

Another thing I love about this movie is that Billy is never really just motivated to start doing good. He shows that he is willing to do good. He protects Freddy from being beat up, but only when it's gone too far. He's chosen by the Wizard not because he is some perfect, good-hearted child, but because he has the potential to be exactly that. The fact that he's willing to protect Freddy from bullies and that he gets his powers, then doesn't immediately start to save everyone shows the writers knew exactly what they were doing. This isn't some shortcut to being a good person. It doesn't show that he does all of the very funny things he does just to.make the audience last. He's learning. He's still not perfect. It's only when he has to save people from a problem that he created that he even remotely starts to start trying to understand the responsibility he carries. It's not until he begins to accept his foster family as his real family does he really understand the importance of helping others. You have to remember that he's always been a loner. He's never really experienced love since.. well, you'll see, but NEVER. In fact, I don't even think he's fully understood by the end of the movie. He's still learning. And why wouldn't he be? He's only 14.

This movie is absolutely great. It's much more than okay. It's honestly better than most comic book movies I've seen in awhile, but for different reasons than the other traditional superhero movies (like I said, this movie has those traditional elements, but also much more). The only way that it is "just okay" is if you have some serious superhero fatigue.
751 out of 996 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2019s biggest surprise
christhebeard27 March 2019
Seriously can't believe how much I loved this movie! This felt like a proper superhero movie felt when I was a kid, they captured the perfect tone, can't fault it.
343 out of 490 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The future is bright for the DCEU with chapters like these!
jakebirkel27 March 2019
I got to see an early screening of Shazam! at my local theater, and boy did it not disappoint. It's not flawless, but the good outweighs the bad more often than not. With a bright story, boundless energy, and an irresistible sense of fun, this is certainly one of the best-if not the best-installment of the DCEU so far.

Direction: I feel like David Samberg is the DCEU's Taika Waititi. He's this movie director that really isn't known for much past some horror, which made him an initially odd choice for this movie; a choice that paid off tremendously. He helps some light shine into this world, but doesn't underplay the action. His direction and coordination through framing helps us laugh and, in some cases, feel the punches. The action isn't jolty like the other DCEU installments and due to the bright vibrant colors, we really know what's happening, where it's happening, and who it's happening to. Well done.

The writing was uneven, but definitely fun. It's a basic story that converts Billy Batson's origin into a modern-day retelling with some elements of Big in there. The humor is well-timed and consistently funny; a lot of meta jokes and inner humor help the story obtain its brighter feel. The relationships written in are heartfelt and the story itself has a lot of heart. One part that causes a rift is the central character of Billy. His two versions, between the adult and the kid, seem to be two completely different people. It's an inconsistency that's fine being just about the only part (besides typical villain problems) that bugs you about the writing.

Performances: I swear, Zachary Levi was born to play Shazam! He carries childlike enthusiasm and a heart in effortlessly. He oozes charisma and really... I won't be able to say it enough so here it is: Zachary Levi is perfection. The rest... Kid Billy was somewhat toned down but still played quite nicely. Mark Strong played a menacing villain. The child actors, especially Jack Dylan Fraiser (Grazer? I'm sorry I don't remember off the top of my head), were VERY good. Child actors really are improving. Any other supporting performance was played nicely and everyone knew who the real star of the movie was: I'm sorry, I'm gonna keep coming back to this: Zachary Levi is a national treasure.

What else... music was nice and heartfelt, I talked about the action sequences... every other part of this film is mainly there to add to Billy's story and I like it. The world is undeniably fun and we're not really pulled out of it.

The future is bright for the DCEU with chapters like Shazam! (9/10)
344 out of 501 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Funny and Family Oriented Movie !
yeycdlwk4 April 2019
I am quite disappointed that some of you guys felt that this movie is not even worth 1 star. How is it possible ? Seriously to me is very funny throughout the movie. This movie also suits family to watch together. Even though the story line is NOT as strong as other movie, but hey, the hilarious part makes this movie very interesting and NOT dull at all. Very RARE to see a super hero behaving in a comedy way...lol. Conclusion, worth to go watch at movie theater ! 10/10
266 out of 395 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shazamic !
muahmed-356014 April 2019
Despite the fun and family friendly looking movie, DC didn't lose its identity as a dark comic universe which we all love , SUPER recommend 😉
262 out of 390 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie!
brosello7 April 2019
I'm not sure why people are rating this movie with anything below a 6 stars. My guess is that some people are too engrossed in whether or not the CGI was perfect or too much into details. The movie was pretty true to the comics and had a pretty good storyline and acting.I went with my kids and wife and we all enjoyed it. If you are a comic book freak that is mindful of every little detail then you will most likely find bones to pick with this movie, but if you just want to watch an enjoyable movie, then this one's for you. It's not dark like most DC movies, has action and is funny at times.
61 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably an unpopular opinion
dynamiteheaddy-4338727 March 2019
It was pretty much exactly what I expected which is a really enjoyable and lighthearted superhero film with some funny moments and that will be enough for most people but it just didn't blow me away. No way this is a 10 like some are suggesting and to nitpick, adult Billy acts nothing like young Billy at all. Don't get me wrong - its still a fun movie which I can recommend.
276 out of 415 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A healthy change to the DC Universe
gregthmann27 March 2019
I went into this a little sceptical and found I came out rather chuffed with such a good film. Far far better than I was expecting and pleased I had gone to a preview screener for this.

The acting is spot on, the comedy is spot on and the action is.... You guessed it, spot on. I certainly recommend any super hero fan to go watch this and big praised to WB for leaving this alone and letting the DIrector get on with it.
249 out of 377 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who would have thought that we can get such unique superhero film after so many superhero films?
ocr-9452031 March 2019
This movie is just perfect in every way and very different compared to other superhero films. Trailers barely show anything. There are so many surprises (no, I'm not just talking about some little cameo, I'm talking about main stuff). Also if you feel that most superhero films are showing similar stuff and want something new then this is for you and those who enjoy every superhero films anyway then it's definitely for you. And even those who don't like superhero films at all, will also love it.
160 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent, but wholly unimpressive
piggulu6 April 2019
Technically a 6.5, but definitely not anything to be thrilled about, as there isn't much novelty. I'm not familiar with the comics so I had no special expectations. I can honestly say it was a fun movie, but I just don't see where the glowing praise is coming from.

Story-wise, it does its job without much surprise or imagination. The little drama with Billy searching for his long-lost mom, while being unable to accept companionship from others, is alright. The special FX are good, but there aren't any mindblowing scenes (no real fighting or magic other than smoke and lightning). I didn't mind the villain being one-note, but I wish they did something better than the old "7 deadly sins," or at the very least been more creative with the designs (which look like clay concept models of generic gargoyles and you couldn't even tell which sin was which).

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I didn't find it very funny. Sure I had a few smirks and chuckles now and then, but there wasn't anything roaringly hilarious. If the trailers didn't exactly make you LOL, then you'd probably won't within the full movie. The comparisons to a kid-friendly Deadpool are apt, but without the wackiness that "seals the deal" as most of the jokes are simple/cheesy/cheap (At the very beginning, Billy steals a cop's lunch bag while he pleads against it. Later on he uses his adult form to buy beer and visit a strip club like every teenage boy's wishes. That's pretty much the bar of humor throughout, besides the numerous "Look what I can do!" moments of discovery for the powers.)

There's a large disconnect between the ever-brooding Billy and the upbeat Shazam, almost like a reverse Jekyll/Hyde. I'd be pretty stoked too if I suddenly gained superpowers, but neither character is a natural extension. And except for Freddy, everyone is entirely one-dimensional and stereotypical: overly enthusiastic foster parents, the tech-wizard gamer Asian, the sweet 16-type daughter going off to college, bullies, etc. Billy has probably less than 10 minutes shown interacting with the fosters that him eventually accepting them as family is a giant, unsatisfying leap.

Overall, it's highly forgettable, but kids will enjoy it, assuming they won't be affected by the CG monsters.
125 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it!!! You will loved it
romanhussain-1216127 March 2019
Great film, loved it 😍😍 everything and everyone was amazing should recommend it
226 out of 368 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The smile never left my face
kumingz28 March 2019
I saw the trailer and I thought- genius a superhero that's actually a kid! Think, Tom Hanks' "Big" meets Superman (1978). I remember liking Shazam as a kid in the 80's (it took me a long time to call him Capt Marvel) but not much else I remember. So I watched the 1940's serial & was impressed, so I watched the 1970's tv show and although cheesy was entertaining, so I moved onto the 1980's filmation series and fell in love with that. This renaissance I had with Shazam only happened 5 months ago too! Shazam! (2019) has all that 40's/70's/80's elements mixed together. The bad guys look awesome, the movie has lots of laughs and tons of heart. One bad thing: there is 1 short scene (parent scene) that gets too dark - it made me feel uncomfortable...it kinda pulled me out of the movie but thank god it's a short scene cuz this is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. 1. Batman 1989 2. Dark Knight 3. Superman 2 4. CA Civil War 5. Shazam!
134 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
zibubu6 April 2019
Unfortunately a little weak and all over the place. Good story, good start and than just fell flat. Watched in cinema, couldn't wait for it to finish.
92 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent!
chiragchakraborty28 March 2019
Joyous fun from beginning to end. Kudos to Zachary Levi for his superb portrayal of a childish superhero.
116 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bright future for DC.
danielwlottering2 April 2019
Shazam was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. If you either a comic book fan or not regardless you will enjoy it from start to end. Although Shazam doesn't contain as much fighting scenes you would see in movies these days it still leaves you with a fully polished story and character development. Shazam shows a teenage kid that gets powers and what he uses it for and obviously its typical things teenage kids would do. If you are plotting on whether or not to go, the obvious answer is YES!
119 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Born For The Role
yazan-prime28 March 2019
The Film Is purely amazing and Zachary Levi born for The Role 100%
103 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor storyline, too childish and boring
timsmorris7 April 2019
Can't believe anyone would give this movie 10/10. The movie is childish to the enth degree, I know Its Shazam and it needs to be a little childish but it was like watching a preschool cartoon.
41 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brings Back your Inner Child!! A lot of Fun!!!!
aayushcpanchal1 April 2019
I saw this in the early screening and when I left the theatre I was overjoyed and smiling through because Indidnt expect it to be a fun adventure and a good action movie.This movie definitely touched my Soul!!! Good job DC
75 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing details
michaelnguyen-3068328 March 2019
I get to see it early in a theater and it was amazing and have alot of details and also they have action and i would give this 11 out 10 if i could do it but it is a good movie
76 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
ansharism2 April 2019
Great movie, another perspective of superhero, superhero with magic
99 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and fun
scarlet-0146528 March 2019
DC smashed it again. Unlike Man of Steel and Batman v Superman bright and fun.
115 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SHAZAM!
mihrali-4833229 March 2019
Great Movie! THANK YOU DC, THANK YOU WB....................................... .....
99 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I believe dc has thrown in the towel
tarincarpenter15 April 2019
I went into this movie with low expectations and was hoping to be surprised . I wasn't . It's just not good simply put . The casting is subpar no well know actors , the plot is predictable as is the dialog to the point you can guess accurately the exact words that are coming next . The soundtrack is non existent . The first 30 mins is an origin story that will put you to sleep , then when Shazam shows up it has a few humorous scenes.. all that said it's Shazam it's really a movie for 5 year olds so bring the kids , but for the DC universe it's a bad look I guess there switching lanes and making movies for kindergarten age kids now .
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it...so lighthearted!
shellbelle2328 March 2019
An amazing mix of heart and well placed humor. The cast was well chosen and they delivered! So happy to have attended the early screening. Would definitely see Shazam! Again!
78 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst superhero movie of all time
TheBigSick15 April 2019
The idea of the film is essentially copied/plagiarized from Tom Hanks's 1988 hit Big, but is much worse in every possible way. The visual effects are cheap and lousy. Levi's performance is a disaster. The tones of the young Billy and the grownup Billy are not consistent. The buildup is too long, and the plot lacks credibility. The result is a mindless comedy that is neither funny nor with heart.
43 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.