Kung Fu Panda (2008)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for sequences of martial arts action|
Sex & Nudity
- Po gets trained by fighting over dumplings (balls). A metaphor for masculinity.
- When the main character tries to get up, he thumps the ground. Po asks him what's he's doing up there
- Two rice bowls end up stuck to the front of Po, unintentionally mimicking a bra or bikini top on him.
- Po makes a reference to his "tenders" (meaning his private) being hit.
Violence & Gore
- Martial arts fighting
- The main character, while narrating his dream, says bodacity. This sounds like badassity.
- Minor name calling and insulting to Po due to his fat.
- Po uses the word "suck" 2 times in one scene.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Tai Lung's backstory may be depressing.
- There are many emotional and darker thematises and sequences in this film, along with the humour, there is intensity in selective battles and depressing story telling.
- Some of the imagery in the film (especially of Tai Lung appearing menacing, with glowing eyes and sharp teeth, etc. as well as some briefly seen, but fierce-looking dragons) might be unsettling and suspenseful.
- The dark and foreboding maximum-security prison holding Tai Lung, especially when we aren't initially sure who or what Tai Lung is, and only see him splayed out and bent over, chained to a platform. This is one cold reminder of the horrors of life in prison as well.
- The whole fight scene between Tai Lung and Shifu is rather intense both physically and emotionally as they argue over their past and perceived betrayals.
Violence & Gore
- Po runs into the large doors of the palace as they close. He then jumps up and hangs onto the edge of a wall window, but then falls from that and lands hard. Trying to get into the palace, he then punches the huge door, ends up smashing into the wall, and has a bent tree rebound and smack into him. He then tries catapulting himself over the wall, but ends up hitting and bouncing off various rooftops. That's followed by him attaching many fireworks to a chair, with that blasting him into the palace wall and then high into the sky. The fireworks and chair disintegrate and he then falls a long distance back to the plaza where he lands hard.
- The Furious Five avoid all sorts of weaponry in a training facility (spiked balls swinging at them, flames shooting up, spiked poles spinning about, etc.). Po then hits a bottom-weighted dummy that rebounds and knocks him back into that course, where all sorts of things hit him, including in the crotch (with him exclaiming, "My tenders"). After going through the flames, he's a bit charred, but otherwise okay.
- The next day, Po begins his training which is really closer to torture as Master Shifu intends to discourage the panda into quitting, but the Panda amazes the masters with an indominatible tenacity that begins to earn the respect of most present.
- Guards fire harpoons at Tai Lung as he begins to escape his prison, but he avoids and kicks some of them back. A massive volley of arrows is then fired at him, but he avoids them by just getting under a platform that's being hoisted out of the pit. The rhino warden then cuts the chains pulling that up, sending it falling down. Tai Lung manages to get back up and avoids many guards when not hitting them about. The warden then activates a system where massive stalactites crash through the stone bridge Tai Lung's on, but he scurries up one stalactite after another until reaching the top level. From the outside, we then see an explosion of force blow open a door, scattering many guards in many directions.
- As part of his training, members of the Furious Five repeatedly hit and knock Po around, followed by Shifu doing the same (including spinning him around, bending various body parts, and kicking him away). That results in Po falling and bouncing down the very long stone steps leading down from the palace into the village below (played for comedy).
- We see a flashback to Tai Lung causing all sorts of property damage after becoming upset that his master didn't choose him as the next dragon warrior. He also knocks Shifu aside before his master does a nerve paralysis blow that essentially renders Tai Lung unconscious.
- Tai Lung and Shifu battle, with the latter initially able to defend himself from Tai Lung who sends a huge boulder, various weapons, and other things at him, while also kicking/knocking him backwards (and causing all sorts of property damage). He eventually pins Shifu to the floor with the latter's cane. He then knocks Shifu around more, chases him around with flaming fists, punches him around, grabs him by the neck, and smashes him down to the floor. Tai Lung and Po then battle, with blows and kicks blocked and delivered, as well as the two falling & bouncing down some steps, with Po's large butt landing on Tai Lung's face at one point. The battle and both knocking each other around continues (played for action and comedy), with large metal pans bashed to a face, and parts of a building sent toward the opponent. Tai Lung then blasts Po down onto a road and then smashes into him. As the battle continues, Po blasts Tai Lung backwards, spins him around, and causes Tai Lung to bite his own tail. Po then uses his large belly to bounce Tai Lung so far into the sky that he loses sight of him. Tai Lung eventually falls back and crashes hard into the road. Po then grabs Tai Lung's finger and does some powerful move on him that sends a massive shock wave in all directions, defeating Tai Lung.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- When Tai Lung escapes from Prison, where Tai Lung kills all of the Rhino Guards
- Master Oogway dies by being blown away by leaves.