V for Vendetta (2005) Poster

2,103 Reviews
Utterly Spectacular!
paxatron8 March 2006
I was a fan of the "V for Vendetta" graphic novel, and Alan Moore disinheriting the film was a bit discouraging. But he's always been a little crazy. The film version is everything I could have possibly hoped for - gripping, chilling, intense, exciting, heartbreaking. It gets Moore's music if not his exact words; elements are slightly different, subplots removed. But the idea - as V himself would be so proud to say - remains the same.

The plot is surprisingly complex and nuanced, and I don't want to give anything more away than the previews already have. Suffice it to say that a masked anarchist (voiced by Hugo Weaving) must save a young woman (Natalie Portman) during his attempt to expose corruption in the government. Weaving is perfectly cast, using his formidable physicality and imposing voice to give gravitas to the insanity of the character. Portman has gone from child to teen star and is finally emerging as a talented, adult actress following her Oscar-nominated turn in "Closer". Here, she gives her best performance to date as the orphan Evey. John Hurt is characteristically impressive as the enigmatic government leader, and Stephen Rea gives a wonderful supporting turn as the police inspector charged with finding V - before it's too late.

The Wachowski Brothers' former protégé, James McTiegue, takes on the directing duties here and helms an enormously impressive first feature, using every trick in the book in a manner reminiscent of his mentors' breakout hit "The Matrix". Unlike "The Matrix", McTiegue allows the story to be more of a focus than the action, and as a result the film is a tense and emotional thriller, with outbursts of spectacularly filmed and choreographed action. Showing more maturity and restraint than the Wachowskis, McTiegue doesn't show off, and his trickery isn't self conscious. When slow-motion overtakes a late action sequence, it seems as natural as breathing. The late cinematographer Adrian Biddle (the film is dedicated to his memory) does an outstanding job, Oscar-nominated Dario Marianelli's score is a fantastic accompaniment to the piece, and the visual effects are astonishing, terrifying, and deeply moving, especially in the climatic moments in Trafalgar Square.

With solid acting, great action, and fantastic technical wizardry, it sounds just like another "Matrix"-style ripoff. But the biggest difference in "V" is that it is a story of real ideas - not a fantastic, science fiction creation, but a genuine examination of the human condition. The power of fear takes center stage here - the fear of war, of disease, of famine. Fear is a basic human nature, and has been exploited as a weapon - a method of control - for centuries. And for those who would use it, a masked man waits in the shadows to carry out your sentence. The verdict? Vengeance. "V for Vendetta" is a must-see.

1,488 out of 1,763 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bloody Masterpiece!
atzimo19 March 2006
I am speechless. I just came back from the theatre, where I watched 'V for Vendetta'. There are three main elements in the movie and it excels on all three of them.

First off the dialogues and script. Intense, witty, honest but not patronising, intelligent but not pretentious. That's the first level at which the movie surprises you. You don't except such high level of script from an action movie. But it is slowly revealed to the audience that V for Vendetta is not just an action movie. The story is filled with current events and has a definite strong political sense.

Secondly Hugo Weaving's performance. It is definitely what grabs you from the start. He delivers some of the hardest lines with incredible charisma. His performance shines throughout the movie and honestly he sounds as good as any of the best actors out there. He should be nominated for an academy award.

Finally the visual part. Incredible, yet no "Matrix" effects used. Everything looks beautiful, dark yet vibrant. The cinematography is top notch. The final battle scene brought tears to my eyes.

Do not miss 'V for Vendetta'. It's one of the best movies of all time, an eternal classic.

1,097 out of 1,375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing feat of Cinema
divinethomas14 February 2006
"Remember, remember, the fifth of November, gunpowder treason and plot. I see no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."

I've never read the graphic novel, but I don't think you need to read it to appreciate the movie. I saw the film last night at it's World Premiere at the Berlin International Film festival. Though it became a little weighty in the middle (one part seemed to drag a little) other than that it was a great experience. The story was so topical that I got seriously emotional during a lot of parts. Weaving did an excellent job with the mysterious title character "V", creating a poetic, intelligent, and compassionate yet ruthless character. Portman always seems to surprise me, except with her Star Wars character. She portrays tremendous emotional range and transforms completely throughout the movie. This is one of those movies that really sticks in your head long after you watch it though... and it continues to stir and grow.
1,191 out of 1,538 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Unique
GreenPlastikMan26 February 2006
There are some that will, upon seeing this film, say that it was akin to Andrew Lloyd Weber attempting to make a political statement: overly dramatic. These people would be well served to remember that the symbol of drama is a mask, which certainly begs one important question- Why, if you are so put off by an overtly dramatic motion picture, would you choose to see a movie that stars as the (anti)hero a man in a mask? I just saw this film at an advanced screening and I must say it is nothing short of uniquely brilliant. Entertaining from the start, V manages to combine a strong socio-political message in a compact and highly intense experience. Infused with issues and concepts that pervade in the global political climate of our times, this movie is endowed with a tremendous timely relevance that belies its trappings as a mere action adventure.

The acting, the cinematography, the effects, and the general vision of this film all lead me to believe that it will likely receive a cult following. It is only my hope that the message of this film will come to summarize the history of our future ascendancy to true liberty.

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. In the meantime, go see this movie.
1,104 out of 1,434 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Not Only For The Brilliant Script And Acting
lua-3145420 August 2018
But Also because all the miscellaneous rightists and racists are irritated by its bravery and morality.

Went completely in the right direction as compared to the usual right-wing claptrap.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Brave Film
zgp-171167 June 2018
On the eve of the suppression of freedoms following 9/11 and the government spying and intrusions this was just the film we needed. Over ten years later it is still exciting and riveting. Whether seen as entertainment or a polemic against right-wingers: V is a hero.
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't be more relevant now (2018)
cby-3275312 November 2018
You want to see where the "Nationalist" movement around the World is leading us? Think "it can't happen here"? Watch this and despair - or grow a pair.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one of the best films I have ever seen...
LordBlacklist25 March 2006
...I am well aware that my summary line invites several retorts, and given the nature of my comment those retorts may very well be resoundingly, unanimously negative. If I say "This is one of the Best films I have ever seen..." One would think the immediate response would be, "Then you must not have seen many films in your time, dear boy." Butoh I have, and it has been far too long since there has been something up on that screen in the darkened theater that I enter to leave this boring, monotonous existence that had the capacity to inspire. To see the possibilities of what might be, what could never be, and what could happen if the leaders of the world keep things going in the directions that they are headed. V For Vendetta is just a film, yes? But it is also a wake up call of which there are not enough in this time we live in. It speaks directly to the hardship that we endure but seldom take notice of because we are distracted by things that do not matter...upon leaving the theater I saw people, teenagers mostly, the very people who should be pro-actively questioning the methodical erosion of this thing called government in the modern age, react with complete apathy. Most try so hard to be so outwardly different from the rest that they do not realize that in doing this they become just like everyone else; oblivious. We as a society do not want to see films like this, we do not want to acknowledge the atrocities going on in the world, all we want to do is play our video games, watch reality television, spend our money on clothes, jewelry, entertainment. Things that for all intents and purposes we do not need. These are the distractions that keep society from pondering in the wee hours of the night what they can do to prevent true injustice. The evils committed by those that govern are far worse than any fiction the cinema can dazzle us with these days. Yes this is a truly great film and one that I will cherish for a long time. I can only hope that its message finds a wide audience that is open to seeing things from another perspective, in a uniquely human light. In the end that is what the film is about...being human. Having the capacity to choose weather or not to recognize the evils of society and take a stand to make things better than they are. The film of course takes this idea to extremes but for the viewing public dramatic examples are needed to awake them from this artificially induced state of being we call existence and say, "I see there is wrong, and it is my duty as a human being to do what I can to make it right." To the makers of this unique and wonderful film, I salute you.
376 out of 507 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very powerful even if it makes Thatcherism look heavenly!
cosmic_quest28 March 2006
'V for Vendetta' will no doubt be remembered as being one of the most well-produced films of this decade for its powerful script, strong character depictions and the sheer excellence in terms of quality. Loosely based on the DC Comic, the film is set in a totalitarian Britain where the BNP-like government who run the country with an iron fist that they make Thatcher's Tories look positively warm and trustworthy. Then emerges a vigilante in the form of V, a man deformed by fire and the governmental experiments that have given him enhanced strength, who is determined to free the UK from dictatorship by blowing up the Houses of Parliament. Evey is the young woman who is unwittingly embroiled in his plot and soon understands what just it is that motivates V so.

The acting in 'V for Vendetta' was top-notch and, along with the well-written script and apt soundtrack, gave the film the essence to engage the audience and make them feel-- for better or worse-- for these characters. Although her accent was wobbly in places, Natalie Portman delivered a strong performance as Evey, depicting the character's growing love for V and the realisation that the time for her to fight has arrived. Stephen Rea also deserves a mention, as the detective who begins to grasp just how corrupt the government he has supported really is, as does Stephen Fry who proves he can do much more than play bumbling characters in his performance as Deitrich, a protester who hasn't quite grasped just how far the government will go to shut their opponents up. John Hurt's Chancellor Sutler was very terrifying as the dictator who couldn't give a toss about his people so long as he remained in total power. However, above all, it was Hugo Weaving's absolutely brilliant depiction of the lead character V who dominates. Without ever seeing his facial expression, he exudes the pragmatism, charisma and intelligence of the character with a twist of revenge-driven madness.

Entertainment-wise, the film doesn't fail with it's apt soundtrack and well choreographed fight scenes that do remind you that this was based on a comic book. Yet 'V for Vendetta' maintains the ability to leave the audience shaken and chilled at the thought of how easily a Western country can be ensnared by tyranny when a corrupt government is allowed too much power and goes too far. The elements dealt with are all the more disturbing with the state of the world today. I imagine it will touch a deeper cord with Britons like myself (it would have been interesting to see more on how Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland had fared in this new world though) as it is so rare that a Hollywood film is set in the UK. It's always simpler to pretend these things could never happen here so it is a sharp shock to see such a dark future located in familiar surroundings of home.

I highly recommend this film to all as it will leave you both entertained and pondering matters raised in the storyline long after the credits have rolled up.
354 out of 482 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have only one thing to say, AMAZING!!
nad-1911 March 2006
I saw this movie yes today here in Denmark, and i didn't know what to expect, because i haven't heard of the V or read the Comics from publisher DC comics. But was i in for a BIG treat, this movie is so superbly acted by all the actors, especially Natalie Portman performed according to me to an Oscar nomination next year. The movie is perfectly put together, so if you haven't read the comics you will be on the edge of you seat the whole movie. Its really that good folks. And lastly, the visual effects is fantastic, and the action scenes is nothing but spectacular. Watch this movie :-).
697 out of 998 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a vividly vivacious and voluptuous volley of a very violently fun time
samseescinema14 March 2006
V for Vendetta

rating: 3.5 out of 4

V for Vendetta is a swift and smugly entertaining portrait of revolution. Albeit, this is a Wachowski Brothers revolution, meaning there must be wildly theatric heroes and crisply tailored CGI stunts all set comfortably in an oppressive Totalitarian society. But this is more than The Matrix with a Victorian flare. V for Vendetta offers up a convincing vision of the near-future paired with an operatic comic book tale of love, mystery, and a Guy-Fawkes-masked rebellion.

Our hero is V (Hugo Weaving), a masked terrorist with a mind for the subversive, a taste for the eloquent, and a hand for knife-wielding acrobatics. His accidental apprentice (or maybe hostage) is Evey (Natalie Portman), a young woman V saved from the fondling grasps of corrupt Fingermen (kind of the CIA for the V for Vendetta world) as she hurried across town past curfew. Our oppressor in this world is High Chancellor Stutler (John Hurt), whose persona is shown primarily through a five-story tall projection of his ever-angry head. The exposition for this near-future lies mostly in the implosion of America after the middle-eastern war expanded into a world war that reached its tendrils even through Western Europe. America folded into civil strife while Britain became the final bastion of modern civilization after a biological attack isolated the island into a zone of quarantine. Stutler rose to power in the chaos and now rules Britain with the mantra "England Prevails!" Rest assured, however, this is not a reality governed by rolling robots and giant overhead blimps; it's a world that's, instead, very similar to ours. The technological innovations are hidden subtly into the film's environment, refusing to take precedent over the historically opulent flavors of England's architecture. V for Vendetta has a flare for the theatric and operatic, after all. There's no room for bleeping robots and bounding technology.

On the eve of November 5th, when Britain traditionally celebrated freedom and truth, V launches a subversive plot to topple High Chancellor Stutler and his surrounding administration. Hijacking the British Television Network, he broadcasts a speech that sets the date one year from November 5th as the date of the revolution. Our story takes place in the interim year leading up to the supposed revolution, with the evolution of Evey's politics, the ongoing vendetta V has set against the players of a mysterious government plot, and the deepening hole V digs for Stutler and his boys to stumble into once that fateful date arrives. "Remember, remember the fifth of November."

What separates V's rebellion from the teeming hordes of other cinematic coupe d'etats made over the years is that V for Vendetta approaches the topic with one eye held straight at the politics of the present. Hot button headline topics continually rear their heads here. Bush is paralleled to Stutler, the news media is heavily clouded, our hero is paired with images of suicide bombers and subway attacks; not to mention the undeniable fact that we are asked to sympathize with an outright terrorist. Is terrorism justified when paired against a strict oppressor? In the political climate of today--where the title of terrorism is threatening to mirror the clout McCarthy granted the title of Communism--V for Vendetta's answer to that question is a sure-handed yes.

But V for Vendetta is no heavy-handed political allegory. At its heart, V for Vendetta is entertainment. And as any entertainment with a hand in Victorian elegance, V for Vendetta must have romance. But before you conjure images of the Fawkes mask flying in a sweaty bald-headed scene of lust, realize first that there also is a master-grasshopper dynamic between Evey and V. The romance is formed as an understatement and rarely addressed, let to simmer below the surface and lend more chemistry to scenes that would otherwise ring hollow.

Natalie Portman may have stolen the tabloid exposure with her shiny shaved head, but Hugo Weaving is the masked performance that steals the show. Much of the role's success lies in the writing, for V is made not to be simply a mask. There's a theme throughout the film asking whether behind masks of revolution, there lie fighting men and women, or only their ideals. V answers this question with charisma. Contradicting the common mantra that masked figures must be laconic, V, in fact, probably has the most lines of all. The character is full and rich with quirks and personality, but still exists with that essential air of mystery. Weaving achieves the same level of iconic performance that he did with Agent Smith in The Matrix. It really is that good.

There's been debate over the quality of adaptation the Wachowski Brothers offered to Alan Moore's original graphic novel. Moore has publicly separated himself from the film, quoting in the New York Times last week that "the screenplay's rubbish." Well, before we all walk away from the ticket line, remember primly that Alan Moore will be the first to tell you himself that he is a selfish, pretentious prick. He knows it, and we know it. Let's move on. The screenplay's fine. In fact, it's a near-masterpiece. What the Wachowski Brothers have done is find the right balance between the theatrics of the graphic novel, and the solemnity to the richly Victorian narrative. They form a dynamic that plays to both sides, allowing for a story that sparks both political debate and giddy entertainment. We'll first shake our heads at the sentimental, soft-focus flashbacks and silly sub-plot for "nuclear human experimentation"; but when mulled over, we realize it's just the comic book mentality showing its spots. After all, V wouldn't start all his sentences with v-words had this film shunned its comic roots. And anyway, V for Vendetta is a vividly vivacious and voluptuous volley of a very violently fun time.
542 out of 781 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riveting and Exciting.
HiddenVoice9 March 2006
This marks the fantastic return of the Wachowski brothers.Those who were disappointed with their last two efforts will not be disappointed here,there is no doubt that the Brothers are talented.Here they make their comeback.But not as filmmakers,but as producers and writers.And to be honest ,this film thrills you from beginning to end.You'll be blown away with this adrenaline excitement and dramatically intense thriller.

A finely complex storyline about V, a reluctant freedom fighter , a rebellion who fights for freedom against the government in London in another time line.Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain,a mild-mannered young woman named Evey who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by"V." Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V urges his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself--and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

This is perhaps the first and fully realized and most successful of all the Moore adaptations.What I liked about this film was the way it balances action and drama.The script is fantastic and directing is equally worth a mention.The assistant director on the Matrix(James McTeigue) movies really has some talent ,and handles the action and drama very well.The film is fast paced and exciting.It is also politically charged and quite controversial but that is the point.It makes you think about the current situation, how well is the government handling the situation of terrorism.V serves as an anti-hero on a quest of freedom.His actions are right but his methods are wrong,he is trying to bring about a message in the wrong way.

This film focuses on the source material of the book, more on the characters than on the action.More on the emotions and the drama than on the violence.This film doesn't glorify V as a terrorist but shows that under certain circumstances he was tempted to be what he is.The film has an intriguing atmosphere throughout,never once boring,an apocalyptic future setting really heightens the tension with starkly dark set designing and stunning cinematography.The action is striking and the performances in the drama are standout.This is a terrific movie at all points, it has a strong script , impressive directing and commendable performances.But having read the book after the movie,I must confess this film is still nowhere close to being better than the book.No way.It feels incomplete adaptation,leaving a lot of details behind,whereas the book had a more in depth look at V's life and his relationship with Evey.But I guess the filmmakers wanted to take a different approach,to which they succeed completely.

There is a reference or close resemblance to Guatanamo prison and 9/11 issues echoes throughout the film.And it made the film even more direct.There are several more references to our world dominated by politics and government,regarding terrorism.And what they do to secure their safety.This is one thing that makes V so controversial.His actions will make you think he's insane,but it's just an idea,a notion that alerts us to take actions if our own Government ever try to control us,and inflict fear into our lives.

Hidden behind the creepy mask ,Hugo Weaving really proves he is a versatile actor.His character provokes thoughtful questions in a dystopian future ,and every emotion of his character is brought out by Weavings performance.Portman on the other hand also excels,with a convincing accent.She really is the heroine of the film and she handles the role quite well.The scenes between Evey and V are touching and well handled.The rest of the film is superb in its execution.

V is an idea,a symbol,a metaphor that cannot be destroyed.A man can be obliterated but as an idea,an icon he is indestructible and his message becomes more powerful to convey as people look upon this figure ,but not the man beneath it.One man can make a huge difference but united men and women can change something.And that's what made me respond to this film's ideas.It's full of it.Shed with technical and visual brilliance.

A spellbinding adventure , exciting action, superb directing and writing and a Sci-Fi film with a thoughtful message,and the first fully satisfying Moore adaptation.This film is the most controversial and at the same time breathtaking Action/thriller.A terrific achievement produced by the Wachowskis' and Silver.The climax,especially,was uplifting and beautifully executed.And will live on to be one of the most memorable conclusions.It always get me.

If there's anything out there in the theaters that will blow you away before summer season kicks off ,then this is a blast for you.
443 out of 636 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Personal Favourite Movie of All Time
seige-hound31 October 2016
It's been quite a few years since I first saw V for Vendetta. I didn't see it at release, because I was far under the age demographic at that time, but I managed to catch up to the film at around 2011-2012. Not sure the exact year, but I was a teenager at the time, and I loved the Matrix (still do), and heard that V for Vendetta was written by the Wachowskis, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It blew me away in many ways, and I credit the film as being part of the reason I became less homophobic and bigoted in many ways. It was the first time I saw homosexuality in a direct and positive light in the media, and it helped me immensely in establishing my more left-leaning views in the Christian world I was raised in.

It's for this reason I have a very deep and personal relationship with this film, but I love the film at a more enjoyable level as well. This film oozes with style. Everything from the cinematography and sound design, to the ways characters speak and act. The rather sparse use of fight scenes (in comparison to other action films of its ilk), opting rather to use political thriller tropes and character development, surprised me the first time I watched it, but even though the film wasn't as action packed as films like The Matrix or Equilibrium (both of which have massive third act spectacles) the action I feel is much more effective and emotional than either of those films (ironic, since Equilibrium is about emotion). While short, the final fight scene between V and Creedy's men is an incredible burst of ecstatic visceral action that makes the entire film worth it.

You can say there are three main characters in this film. There's V, the titular anarchist vigilante, Evey, the young woman who is kidnapped, and slowly falls for V in a more violent twist of Beauty and the Beast, and there's Detective Finch, a government employee tasked to finding and unmasking V, and during this task discovering that his beloved government isn't as noble as it may seem. Each of these characters is given a fair and due amount of screen time, and they each have a full and satisfactory character arc. I find how well written and edited this film is to be incredibly impressive, and writing this I want to watch the film all over again just to appreciate it more.

There is something to be said, however, about the differences between the film and the original graphic novel written by Alan Moore. I haven't read the original comic, but judging by Alan Moore's distaste of films inspired by his work, and the fact that he refused to watch the film after reading the script, maybe this film isn't for fans of the original work. There's a great comparison video by CineFix on Youtube comparing the film to the novel, and they are very very different from each other. One notable difference is that the portrayal of V vs the dictator Sutler is much more nuanced and less Black and white in the novel than in the film, and that is a very well deserved critique of the film.

I do not claim that V for Vendetta is the best film ever made. I haven't even scraped the surface of world cinema and cinema history to ever make that claim. However I can definitely say that V for Vendetta is, at least for the time being, the most personally meaningful movie, and the most enjoyable movie, I have ever seen. Mad Max Fury Road did get close though.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a work of monumental genius
AmericanWorldPictures14 February 2006
well... all i can say is goddamn.

keeping in mind that anytime you see a movie as part of a major film festival world premiere, where the cast and creators are present, along with hundreds of avid film fans and press, it tends to raise the experience a notch or two... but having said that - i found it to be a work of monumental genius. i thought it was so amazingly good in fact that i actually had to say something as extreme as that to express my current mood towards it, which is still only a mere fraction of how i felt when i actually left the theatre. it was seriously that good.

and yes, i'm biased, if you can call it that. but i like the wachowski's for a reason, not blind admiration. they're geniuses, and they've trained mcteigue well.

naturally, i think it will be under-appreciated by much of the general public as its not nearly as action-packed as the trailer would have you believe, but whether it makes 100 mil or 200 mil, it should at least completely redeem the wachowski's legacy in even the most critical of critic's minds.

i have to say, the rush of adrenaline i felt when...well, you know if you've seen the trailer - made me want to stand u and cheer. when a movie can make you feel like that, it's succeeded.
638 out of 972 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully DIrected - SPOLIER ALERT
isabellaf-569834 May 2018
The movie V for Vendetta promotes a government in which the people decide what is best for the country, and their livelihoods. Throughout the film, it becomes clear that a close to perfect form of society is when the government is scared of its people, not the other way around. In addition, the concept that love can overcome evil is evident. The hero of this film is a woman named Evey Hammond, whose goal is to help a man called V to take down the over oppressive, and corrupt, government. However, just like any hero, Evey has a flaw, and that flaw is fear to take action since her parents were killed for rebelling against the government. Evey was captured and tortured by the government to reveal the identity of V, but she never did. After a long period of time, and being constantly tortured, all her options seemed exhausted, but she rids fear within herself and accepts her fate. She would rather die then let the government stop the revolution. Luckily, it was actually V who captured and tortured her to see if she was truly loyal. The final showdown results in the death of V, however, with her new found strength, Evey completes the final step in the revolution in which the parliament building is blown up. Evey conquered her fear, and she now knows she has the power and the courage to change the world. With the parliament building destroyed, the people are now taking back their freedom, and will most likely form a government in which their voice matters. The movie includes a few main scenes that, when looked at together, are important in proving the message of the story: any injustice only takes a single person, willing to risk everything, to spark a world altering revolution. To reveal the corruption of the government, the viewers witness the police's attempt to rape Evey. The very people who are supposed to protect the citizens are the ones causing the most damage. In addition, a scandal in which the government purposely infected children with a deadly virus that only they could cure is shown. This proves the corruption of the government, and, now, all there needs to be is the rebellion. V's single man invasion in a TV building allows him to be known throughout the country, and, this simple act gains him followers, more fighters. The releasing of the mask, hat, and cape that he wears to every citizen might just be the most influential scene because this act gives the citizens something they never had before: a choice. Lastly, the final scene where thousands of citizens gathered, dressed in V attire, and push their way through the police to witness the destruction of parliament. I agree with the theme portrayed in this film because it shows how humans, though extremely different form one another, are able to come together when the time calls for it. I believe that this is a hopeful movie that lets the viewers know that they have more power than they think; a government cannot function without the support of its people. In all honesty, I would not have portrayed the movie any differently. The film was extremely intense, graphically violent, and painfully realistic; however, this intensity was needed to get the point across that there a corrupt government needs to be stopped. The redemption that is portrayed in the film coincides with biblical truth in that they both end with the sacrifice of one to free the many from the evil. In the same way V risks his life so that the rest of the country may live in freedom, Jesus died on the cross so that the entire world could be saved and washed from their sins. Although the biblical truth is a much larger scale, the concept is the same. However, the movie departs from biblical truth in what actions V does in order to achieve freedom for the people. V takes on a more hateful and violent approach in which he assassinates corrupt government people, and bombs the parliament building. On the other hand, Jesus takes on a more humbling approach in which he basically shows kindness and unconditional love to all. Although V for Vendetta condemns evil, it also allows the viewers to think that the only way to destroy evil is with more evil and violence. The intense violence in the film contradicts V's ultimate goal which is to rid of the violent and corrupt government. V is fighting fire with fire, but he is doing what he feels is right and what he sees as the only way to achieve freedom. This connects to the worldview of post modernism because the idea of breaking from the traditional rules, or the rules of the past, and doing what you believe in, or what you feel is right, is promoted. The film does not directly explore this worldview, rather, it reveals this concept through V and his actions. V wants to create a world in which people have the choice to choose what to believe in. In addition, he does whatever actions he deems necessary to achieve his goal. Similarly, post modernists believe that people should have the right to believe what they want, and do whatever they want, and that what they do is their choice. Given this mentality, I think that the writers are trying to say that humans should never be forced to believe in something. What we choose to believe in is our choice, and each person should respect one other regardless of their beliefs. If one thing is for sure, people typically do not like to be told what to do because for some reason we like choice, and how we live reflects our beliefs. This obviously does not reflect the teachings of the Bible. The Bible is pretty clear that in order to get to heaven, if you even believe in one, is, in summary, to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. V for Vendetta neither denounces nor promotes the Bible or Christianity. V does not care what you believe in, he cares that you were able to choose you beliefs without any pressure. This is, however, similar to the Bible in that people have the free will to choose what they believe(you can believe in Jesus or not); there is no outside pressure, at least there is not supposed to be any. The Bible lays out its case to all who are willing to listen, and people can accept or deny its teachings; V is fighting for exactly this, the ability to choose. Christianity is not portrayed in this movie because this is not a movie about religion, but it does indirectly comment on religion. It reveals the dangers of religions and how they can turn into corrupt political systems that take away a persons choice. Every religion is guilty of trying to pressure others into their belief, or there will be consequences. The film calls out any guilty of this sort of pressure, and it basically comments this: people need to make their own decisions, and if there is disagreement, oh well, it was their choice, not yours. Overall, V for Vendetta is not the most child friendly movie. It is extremely violent, in more ways than one, and the negative elements greatly out weight the positive. Some negative elements included an attempted rape, multiple murdered, lots of gun violence, torture, and encourages dangerous behavior. This movie definitely teaches that it is acceptable to do an measures necessary to fight for a cause, even if people's well beings are at stake. On a more positive note, the final message of the movie is inspiring. It teaches that it is ok to be different, and that people should have the free will to decided who they want to be; it inspires individuality. Even with a beautiful message at the very end, this film should not be recommended to everyone because of the negative elements states earlier in this paragraph. In this day in age, I think it would be acceptable that the minimum age to introduce this movie would be 13. At this age, children are beginning to be introduced to the real world, and they are just starting to figure out who they are. I think that this movie is a good introduction into teaching kids that it is okay to believe differently than others, but, most importantly, that people should not be judged for believing in something different.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Want to see where the anonymous mask came from?
nicholasjcourville2 May 2018
V for Vendetta is still after all these years one of my favorite movies to watch, and I find it as relevant today as it was whenever it was released in 2005. It is a story about a freedom fighter whose goal is to take down a totalitarian government that uses fear and deceit to control its people. To do this, he knows that one man is not enough to accomplish such a monumental feat and that he will need to use something that cant be silenced, hurt, or killed. he sets out with the goal of planting the idea of revolution in the people because, as he says in the movie "Ideas are bulletproof." One of my favorite things about this movie is that the main character is wearing a solid mask. It is a fantastic display of acting, both voices acting as well as physical. I guess you could say that I found myself not liking the character as much as I loved the idea of the character. The writers and director did an amazing job of drawing me into the storyline by mirroring enough of the world we live in today that I felt that the world I was watching on the screen could very easily enough being the world I live in one day. I saw myself in many of the characters and identified with their blind devotion to their country, their developing distrust of their government, and their inner conflict of trying to rationalize the two. Hugo Weaving plays the leading role of V and delivers and an unbelievable performance from behind a mask. Natalie Portman plays the role of V's sidekick, love, and accomplice. Stephen Rea plays the detective that is hell-bent on finding out the truth even if that means he must accept that all his life he has been on the wrong side. Many other great actors help director James McTeigue bring The Wachowski Brothers V for Vendetta to life. It is definitely worth your time. Please watch and enjoy this movie,
Most Captivating Comic Book Adapatation I've Seen
MichaelMRamey15 April 2018
After being told over and over again from friends to watch this film, I finally got to it. Despite it being overhyped by them, I still found myself captivated by V For Vendetta. There was something brilliant about seeing our "hero" at face value just like every other character along the way. There was no Batman/Bryce Wayne, there was only V and because of that it made him more of a myth and much more intriguing for what he stood for.

Vengence is in the title, but it so much more than that with a deeper meaning that rivals some of the best in Hollywood. I found myself reading more into the "idea" V represented. Now one of my favorite Comic Book Films.
OMG! Absolutely Amazing
prtfvr13 March 2006
OK, I only went to see this because of the Wachowski brothers involvement. I went totally expecting to hate this movie about a terrorist but it was so much more. I'm amazed to say that it's AWESOME! While not an action picture there's plenty of action and at least one funny homage to The Matrix. You've gotta see it. It's very inspiring, believe it or not and it didn't make me want to blow up buildings either. It just made me appreciate freedom even more. Hugo Weaving is terrific and Natalie Portman leaves Princess Amadala far behind with her performance as Evey. Everyone's great. Stephen Rea is terrific too. I just can't believe I liked this movie. I'm still in shock.
650 out of 1,048 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
V for Vox Populi, Verity, Victory, Veni, Vidi, Vici...
ElMaruecan825 November 2016
Or "V for Versatility"?

Indeed, when it doesn't warn about the risk of totalitarianism pending over democracies, through the Orwellian depiction of a Britain ruled by a Big Brother-like figure, yelling orders on a giant wall-size screen, and played by John Hurt,"V" is a captivating cat-and-mouse chase between the rebels and the armed hands of the Law, characterized by two opposites: Stephen Rea as the good cop Finch and Tim Piggot-Smith as Creedy, the overzealous fascist with an ugly mug.

Of course, the main attraction of the film is the titular V, that justice warrior hiding behind the now-iconic Guy Fawkes' mask and signing, like a modern-day Zorro, all his deeds with the mark V. As easy with words as he is with knives, V is a really fascinating creation we owe to the genius of comic-book artist Alan Moore. He makes his entrance when a young woman, coincidentally named Evey (Natalie Portman), breaks the curfew and is assaulted by two members of a local militia named 'Fingermen'. V doesn't believe in coincidences and sees in Evey the light of hope to shine on the future generations. Together, they meet on the 5th of November, and as a homage to the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, when Catholics attempted to destroy the House of Parliament, V orchestrates the destruction of the Old Prison.

And with 1812 Tchaikovski Overture as an accompaniment, "orchestrates" is the right word. The opening scene sums up what makes "V for Vendetta" a great entertainment, it is both visually and intellectually captivating. It is the kind of experiences that urge you to go to Wikipedia so some extra knowledge can make the plot a little more understandable, and sometimes, plausible. For instance, I live in France where, recently, the government revealed the existence of a big database containing 60 Millions of names, which means the entire French population. This comes within the framework of the fight against terrorism but when you think deeper, you realize that a government will always have a "good reason". In "V for Vendetta", we discover the extents of the tyranny: banning and killing homosexuals, Muslims, communist or atheists, and it is revealed near the end that it started with a 'virus' plot.

I don't see Illuminati everywhere, I know that some conspiracy theories are absurd but they shouldn't be used as an alibi against those that make sense and can be proved. The merit of James McTeigue's film is not to denounce something that might happen but to tell us that it might happen. The film was made in 2005, after the September 11 attacks, but the events prove them right, I just love a part where Finch, disillusioned, know that things will go out of control, starting with an incident that will give an excuse for the government to bring the army. That's how the Arab Springs begun and today, it changed the map of the world, for better and for worse, the worse is that it planted the seed of terrorism and Islamophobia in European countries. If there ever is a Third World War, it would be ignited by these two elements.

I just read a complaint from a IMDb user about the positive way the Quran was depicted, and I was wondering if that comment didn't prove that hatred was already marching in. It's very interesting that a character played in the film was killed because he had a Quran, if you look at the perception of Islam today, due to events that are certainly not caused by the vast majority but a fanatic minority manipulated by foreign groups and God knows who, you'll see that we're not far from this reality. Ironically, for all its positive portrayal of Muslims as victims or camp-candidates (a similitude shared with the other visionary Sci-fi movie "Children of Men"), religion is painted in a negative light, starting with the Bishop portrayed as a filthy pedophile.

The standing the films seems to take is that the first victims will be minorities and the film even includes a poignant lesbian romance in the story. But who knows, maybe the real dictatorship will come from hyper capitalism that would ban every form of spirituality. The fluidity of the plot sometimes derails in order to make a political statement, and I wish the film took more time to be a political satire than a Manichean thriller. It is also ambiguous in the way it denounces a form of totalitarian violence while portraying violence as the means to an end. The most glorious moment of the film, was the magnificent street marching with all London inhabitants wearing the Fawkes' mask, and when the soldiers had surrendered, V had virtually won.

So, did we need to see Big Ben destroyed? The people had seized the power, it was a revolution per se, and by inspiring them, the figure of V has achieved more than any other terrorist attack. But it felt like the director needed to end the film in a blaze of glory, and close the loop. It was spectacular but a tad predictable while something less flashy could have been more meaningful. "V for Vendetta" is never boring but it needlessly overplays the effects although it had everything to blow your mind, even the last speech by Natalie Portman gives you the perfect idea about the character, he's an idea precisely.

And this is indeed an idea that prevailed, as the Guy Fawkes mask became the inspiration for the "Anonymous" group, creating a case where fiction preceded reality, and underlined its own prophetic aspect. The film isn't flawless but it is a must see in our difficult times, and I'm glad I could finally review it 11 years after its release and 11 years before the time these events will happen, now in 2016, on the 5th of November.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Showstopper of movies
emkays21 May 2017
I became astonished, as I just watched 'V for Vendetta'. I was wondering why I haven't watched it till now. One of textbook movie on very sensitive topics of Non-Conformism, Anti-Regime, Revolution.

Acting: Hugo Weaving was just like a brilliant magician or musician or writer who had full command in his domain i.e. Anti- Regime, who has nor fear neither vanity. I always admired Natalie for her superb performances in Closer or Black Swan and above all this movie.

Story: The dialogues and script are intense & honest. It is a thriller movie, but it is slowly revealed to me that its more than that. The story is filled with current events and great quotes. Also it has a definite strong political sense, and I can relate it with current circumstances in many countries.

Direction: It was marvelous. Everything looks beautiful especially Fireworks, Home of V, Studio Scenes, all over dark yet compelling.

Verdict: Indeed It's one great addition into my "List of Movies That I Want To Watch Before I Died"
A Truly Revolutionary Work of Art
url-1681119 March 2017
To sum up the brothers' masterwork in one word is a quite impossible task, but I have come to the conclusion that V For Vendetta is 'perfect'. Nathalie Portman as the hapless chick is one weak link because she is not a good actress and her English accent is as bad as the Bridget Jones Diaries but the rest if just brilliant. Making this film all the more compelling is the classical music perfectly composed original musical score. This film deserves all the cult love bestowed upon it, especially the social movements it has aided. It deserves all these awards and more. V For Vendetta is a film that everyone should see and appreciate to its fullest extent. The good guys and the bad guys are so complex, so scary and so relevant that it will remain an immortal film forever. Homosexuals, Muslims, freedom fighters, media folk, cops, politicians and regular folks who believe life is just drinking beer and being stupid will benefit from watching this.
Amazing Characters, Brilliant Action and a Tremendous Story
oliviagd1523 April 2016
Remember remember the fifth of November When I first watched V for Vendetta I didn't know much about it. However I have always had a fascination with darker comic book movies such as The Crow and some of the Batman's. I am going start by saying that the character of V played brilliantly by Hugo Weaving is one of those characters that will be remembered and is an instance classic. This in truth is 1 of my favourite Natalie Portman performances, she is just so full of determination and curiosity and it's infectious. The scene where V and Evey first meat is truly tremendous. V saves Evey from some men trying to rough her up, she does hold her ground, V shows off some kick ass moves and a very versatile vocabulary (see what I did there). One of favourite things about V is he is an antihero yet he still views himself as a sort of freedom fighter who is standing up for the opposing government. The reason why I love this movie so much is the true determination to do what is right and the casualties that had to happen. V was a broken body but a free soul that wanted to make a difference and he did so. Was everything planned, I don't know but all I know is this movie is a must watch and truly is amazing
Totalitariansim Yin
cinemajesty6 March 2018
Movie Review: "V for Vendetta" (2005)

Under a major production effort with Hollywood insider Grant Hill and Joel Silver producing, former-assistant-director James McTeigue, receives his break after an mission-impossible back-to-back job-assignment for George Lucas "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" (2002) and The Wachowski's "Matrix Reloaded" (2003), getting a promise fulfilled by the overly-demanding producer and directors, who then in return adapted the instant-classic graphic novel "V for Vendetta" written by Alan Moore in years of 1986/1987/1988 and simultaneously illustrated by David Lloyd & Tony Weare (1912-1994), when "The Wachowski" present a powerhouse of a Anti-Totalitarianism Science-Fiction-Action-Movie, which stars Natalie Portman as compromised media-indulged character Evey, whose eyes get open by a man hidden behind an early 17th-century-terrorist mask, acted in heavy dark-colored costume and vocal-beats-striking actor Hugo Weaving as anonymous character "V", when this exceptionally-paced and visually-demanding deliverable of a motion picture with polishing haunting score by composer Dario Marianelli distributed to excellence by Warner Bros. Pictures despite real-life terrorist-attacks sweeping Europe in years 2004/2005/2006.

The supporting cast convinces throughout with John Hurt (1940-2017) as nemesis dictactorship-indulging character Adam Sutler, who seems to fight his demons of a career-defining character defeated-by-the-system Winston Smith in Michael Radford's George Orwell adaptation of "1984", when on the other side Stephen Rea as Detective Finch and Stephen Fry as all-symparthy-owning character Deitrich in a world-going on course for total controlling the society by fear of not-being enough as an individiual. The cinematographer Andrew Biddle (1952-2005) on his last job after a fulminate career as lighting cameraman, starting out with visualizing James Cameron's "Aliens" in season 1985/1986, for further benefits with "Matrix" production designer Owen Paterson, who creates unique world of clean-rectangle shapes in black/red color majorities, when the cave-like establishment of "V" gathers splendors of a lost era of living with analog technology as record playing devices, medieval properties of metal armor and weaponry to just seating on in a couchchair watching censored motion pictures.

"V for Vendetta" strongest suit becomes Natalie Portman's full-submission into a role that demands a complete transformation not only in physical appearance, but emotional openess of the unknown as controversial world of fighting dictatorship with acts of terror as wake-up call for a society, which seemingly seem happy and fulfilled in their microcosm of convenience, which makes this motion picture rich in attitude towards a certain way of life to be reached by a minority of people, while the majority watches and applauds or denies. In this case the outstanding as stand-alone graphic-novel adaptation had been put in capable hands of director James McTeigue, who seems to have been peaking in directorial vision already from this exceptionally-fulfilling debut for any movie-going audience.