Flicka (2006) Poster

(2006)

Good Family Movie
bob-rutzel6 March 2007
Katy (Lohman) a teenager finds a wild mustang and decides that is her horse and sets out to tame it. Her father (McGraw) doesn't want her to end up on a ranch and wants her to go to college.

Yes, it's corny, sappy and all that. But just like a great big, juicy, cheeseburger sometimes you just "gotta have one." This is good family entertainment and the kids will love it. Everything works, the dialogue, the scenery, the acting, the music and, of course, the horses.

What's not to like when you see a herd of horses running full out over the plains and there are many scenes like that in here as the ranch is a Quarter Horse Ranch. There is something majestic watching those horses run.

The setting is in Wyoming and we get to see some really great scenery and the camera could have lingered longer on this landscape and yet we did not see the Big Sky, something for which Wyoming is famous for as well as Montana. I was once in Wyoming and saw the Big Sky and there is nothing like it. You look at those nearby gigantic, almost touchable, clouds and you know there something special there. And, when you look, you don't have to look up too far. But, sadly, no Big Sky in here. Maybe Flicka 2?

However, as mentioned this is good family fun and I'm getting hungry. Maybe a cheeseburger…….

Violence:No, Sex: No, Nudity: No, Language:No
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Truly Moving Picture
tollini8 July 2006
I saw this film on July 7th, 2006 in Indianapolis. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "…explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

Set in a stunningly beautiful ranch in Wyoming, Flicka is a story of a rebellious teenage girl and a naturally rebellious and wild, mustang horse.

The girl, Katie, is the only daughter in a long line of ranchers. She is a bad student, but it is because she is a dreamer and longs to be on the family horse ranch instead of at an exclusive Boarding School. Her father wants her to finish high school and go to college. She is constantly in a struggle with her father over her long summer break not only because of her lack of interest in academics, but also because she finds a mustang (she names Flicka) in the wild and wants to keep it.

She wants to break and ride the mustang, but her father insists that a mustang doesn't belong on a quarter horse ranch. And, they are going through tough economic times. The ranch of many thousands of acres is worth a fortune to land developers. No one wants to sell out, but they may be forced to. Katie has an older teenage brother who works the ranch because he feels it's his duty. He actually is the opposite of Katie. He wants to leave the ranch, go off to college, and experience the world.

It all sounds like a dysfunctional family. But it isn't. The father, mother, daughter, and son love each other deeply. As they struggle with their economic problems and coming-of-age problems, their love and fidelity to each other are the only things that have a chance to keep them together.

The cinematography and art direction are exceptional. You are actually there in Wyoming and can understand why people never want to leave the remote and beautiful West, and why they love their horses.

FYI – There is a Truly Moving Pictures web site where there is a listing of past Truly Moving Picture Award winners that are now either at the theater or available on video.
70 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wyoming in all its splendor
jotix10020 December 2007
Mary O'Hara's novel "My Friend Flicka" is the basis for this wonderful family oriented movie. Directed by Michael Mayer, a man whose work we had admired before, offers a positive view of a Wyoming family that is struggling to make a living out the ranch where they raise horses and the changes that are happening around them.

At the center of the story is Katy McLaughlin, a young woman who is happier being in the family ranch than at the boarding school, where she seems to be out of place. When Katy goes back home after not completing a key exam, she begins to feel like a human being. All the great outdoors are at her finger tips. The horses she loves are also part of her life.

A fearless rider, Katy is surprised one day by a mountain lion who comes near her. A mustang that appears out of nowhere comes to her rescue, attracting Katy's attention. A bond will develop between the young woman and the horse that will prove it to be a mutual love and respect they feel about one another. She names the horse Flicka and becomes her champion when her father feels a mustang doesn't belong in the ranch because what it will do to the other pure bred horses. In the end, the father, as well as the family realize how deep Katy cares for Flicka and the way the horse responds to her.

Alison Lohman, who is seen as Flicka, is an actress that seems a natural no matter what role she is asked to play. Tim McGraw does justice to the father, and lovely Maria Bello is perfect as the mother.

The beautiful cinematography by J. Michael Muro does wonders to create the right atmosphere in which the action is presented. The same can be said for the musical score of Aaron Zigman, which is tuneful and fits well in the picture. There is no doubt Michael Mayer will continue to surprise us in his future projects.

Highly recommended for all families.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Different but Good
autoprincess16 October 2006
If you wanted it to be exactly like the book you are going to be disappointed. However the movie was awesome and I loved every bit of it. It was well done and the acting was great. I re-read the book to get my bearings and saw how different it was but still in love with the movie. The set was gorgeous and the horses are beautiful. Tim McGraw has proved himself to be a wonderful actor. And changing the "main" characters from Male boy to Female , I think, made the movie better. I cried like a baby in parts even when I knew how it turns out. We can all relate to Katy and her issues- makes her more real in peoples eyes. The book has so many descriptions in it you may lose the story at some point but the movie keeps right on trucking.
28 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Flicka is a faithful update of "My Friend Flicka"
rlgolden20 October 2006
So many times when writers "update" a movie, they destroy it by changing the heartwarming plot into something colder and more distant. Flicka remains true to the book, even if they made Flicka's owner a girt instead of a boy. Allison Lohman, really deserves credit as the teenage girl with spirit who find Flicka, a similarly spirited mustang. Her mother is Maria Bello (Doctor on ER, owner of Coyote Ugly) and her father is a beardless Tim McGraw (that took a while to get use to). Tim does a surprisingly good job as "Dad," and although its not perfect, he doesn't detract from the movie.

Expect lots of tears - bring lots of tissue.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Bankable
aimless-4610 August 2007
"Flicka" (2006) bridges several sub-genres, unfortunately it is one of the weakest examples of each. It's a horse movie (the original is better, as are "National Velvet", The Horse Whisperer" and for that matter most episodes of "The Saddle Club" and "Spin & Marty"). It's a "wild mustangs as a metaphor for the changing West" movie ("The Misfits" and "Billy Jack" do it better). It's an overwrought coming of age melodrama (countless other films do this better as well as most of the stuff you find playing on Lifetime).

It's also an Alison Lohman film and in all fairness contains one of her best performances. Lohman is always excellent and in "Flicka" she is given a lot to work with and handles it all quite well. However, the scripting and editing assembly work are so weak that her strong performance (and nice supporting work by Maria Bello and Ryan Kwanten) cannot turn this thing into a high quality film. You might notice that neither the two screenwriters nor the director have been involved in any feature productions since the release of the film.

"Flicka" was a major release (over 2900 theaters in the U.S.) and turned a profit at the box office. I credit shrewd packaging by the film's producers as they focused from inception on insuring that the project would be bankable. They incorporated elements that pre-sold the film beyond its target audience of pre-teen girls. Tim McGraw was cast to bring in his large fan base, Kwanten was counted on to draw a fair number of teenage girls into the multi- plex, and there were so few live action family films in 2006 that it was able to tap into an under-supplied market.

As for Mary O'Hara's beloved children's book (My Friend Flicka-previously adapted into two feature films and a television show, is credited), it would be more accurate to say "inspired by" rather than "adapted from". The original's ten-year-old hero has been changed to a 16-year-old heroine named Katy McLaughlin (Lohman).

I normally rant a bit when an older actress is cast as a teenager but Lohman is the Mary Pickford of her day and with her cute face and freckles still looks physically believable playing a teen. Her new look for the film, long curly hair-dyed dark, makes her look a lot like Kari Russell (insert "very Irish" here). In this remake it's totally Katy's story (in the original the parents had a more central role) and is told from her point-of-view. She even does a short voice-over commentary to begin and close the film. Normally this POV stuff leads to viewer identification and connection, but the scripting and directing works against Lohman and you stay distanced from her character.

Katy is mega-headstrong, uncomfortable and bored at her boarding school but at one with the wilds of her family's horse ranch in Wyoming. Her father is grooming Katy's older brother Howard to eventually take over the ranch, clueless about Howard's desire to escape and about Katy's affinity for the place. She is the chip-off-the-old-block, not her brother.

The title character is a two-year old black mustang mare that is a source of conflict between Katy and her father for most of the film. While the movie looks pretty the thin plot, the poor sequencing, and absence of "genuine" emotion" doesn't add up to a particularly satisfying viewing experience.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
great family movie
sacoody23 October 2006
Its about time someone came out with a clean, funny, suspenseful, and outright wonderful family movie. I am sure I will watch this again, and again. Tim McGraw surprised me being able to act on top of singing. All of the actors and actresses in this film were really good. I think I only heard one cuss word which was very nice considering most films now. This movie made me laugh, cry and just feel good. A definite on being seen. If you want a good time with your family ... go watch this movie. Can be watched by all ages. It does a few parts that might be a little too intense for ages 6 and under but everyone else I think will love this movie as much as I did.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The First Decent Family Film I've Seen All Year!
Jean Mank12 November 2006
My daughter and I are avid movie-goers. We both agree that the movie market is over-glutted with CGI animated flicks. We saw both "Over the Hedge," and "The Wild," and they left us cold. We may give "Flushed Away" a chance, only because the guys behind the beloved "Wallace & Gromit films, and "Chicken Run." "Flicka" has it problems, such as a female lead who looks far too old to be in high school, a "brother" who acts likes he is flirting with her more than his on-screen girlfriend! and an impossibly perfect mom, but it still does not disappoint. Of course I read the original "Flicka" book as a child AND remember the old B&W TV series! This movie doesn't even come close, but from the moment the rodeo guy took Flicka away until the end of the movie, my daughter and I were crying buckets! I also think that hunky Tim McGraw was superb, and was jealous of Maria Bello when they did the slow dance!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
WARNING: to parents, serious issues
mustangjc13 December 2007
I have trained un-broken horses and instructed young riders for a few years. Currently I am a Mounted Patrol officer. Please take what I say very seriously. I am very concerned about children endangering themselves based on "lessons" they might learn from this movie. As an officer on horseback I am used to having children literally run up to my horse. A normal horse, without special training would have injured/run away from these children. It bothers me that parents usually stand back and laugh as their children run at our horses. I believe both children and parents are getting the wrong idea about horses and the way they act based on movies like this one that continue the mis-notion.

This movie teaches: 1) That if you get on a wild mustang's back, that has never had a rider it will miraculously understand! Oh, you may fall off a time or two, but that's alright!

REAL LESSON: It takes weeks, months to even "green" break a horse (walk, trot, canter) Even the process of adding weight to a horse's back and riding equipment is done slowly and gradually. The young girl here goes against the horse's natural nature and defies all safety/acts bratty towards her Father when he tries to correct her.

2) It's okay to steal/run away with a horse in the woods/rainstorm!

REAL LESSON: I think you understand this one.

other things that are just wrong: Galloping a horse in the rain, "talking" to the horse as if its a human instead of using riding cues, not wearing a helmet (Many Western riders do not, but on a green-broke horse this is just asking for trouble).

I'm worried that someone's young daughter is going to wander into a neighbor's pasture and approach a horse thinking it will "magically" become her friend. I've seen a little boy injured because he hid into a strange horse's stall believing it was his "friend."

This movie does not at all encourage realistic, safe relationships between horses and riders. If you do let your children watch this version of Flicka, try to explain to them that horses are animals and Katy's behavior is wrong. If they want riding lessons after this movie talk to your instructor about how to act around a "real" horse. Encourage them to read books such as "Pony Pals" or "The Saddle Club" which usually encourage safer practices/life lessons.

It will be better for your family, I assure you.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Screw you, Dad!
pdxflower12310 February 2007
Which is basically what teenage Katy says to her father over and over and over again. AFter lying (again), not only to her family but the rodeo management, Flicka is seriously injured, and Katy is in bed with a fever. The dad doesn't want Flicka to suffer, so he heads off to put her down. Katy comes down the steps, tears streaming down her face. "Finally!" I thought, "She is going to redeem herself and say she's sorry for the incredible mess she's gotten everyone into." But, nooooo, she says 'it's okay, Daddy, you can kill both of us'. OH MY GOODNESS!! My super-favorite part, though, was at the end, when the DAD apologizes to Katy. What?!! Way to go Hollywood, for emasculating another Father and making him appear totally incompetent.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
oh please
nenya_elvenring4 March 2007
From practically the opening scene, I wanted to slap this girl silly. Nobody but a 12-year-old girl should find "Flicka" appealing, and I would recommend against letting any 12-year-old girl see it, because it rewards bad behavior and sets a terrible example. She's not "rebellious," she's a brat: arguing with her father in a business meeting (what on earth was she doing there in the first place?), disobeying direct commands and being generally unpleasant. The father was an ineffective disciplinarian and the mother spineless. This movie stands up only as an example of how NOT to be a parent. The only redeeming quality the movie had at all was that the rest of the family truly seemed to love each other deeply and had no problem showing it.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
And Hollywood gets it wrong...again
kitprate26 April 2007
Mary O'Hara must be doing spins in her grave! It was bad enough what Hollywood did originally to her books (all three of them in the series) without this version hitting the screen. This was not a "kid's book" (I've seen the reference...obviously from someone who never read the books); it was a series of books about the complex relationships of a family living in 1940's Wyoming: A loving mother, father, TWO sons, and an infant daughter. The father/son conflict between the younger son and the father, and the relationship between the brothers, Ken and Howard, were well crafted; as was the very deep (and at times) troubled love relationship between Rob and Nell. What could have been a sweeping family saga was turned into a sappy boy loves horse opus for Roddy McDowell (great actor!), shortly after his successes in the Lassie boy loves dog films.

Just once, I'd like to see Hollywood get it right. If the book ain't broke, don't fix it!!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
our children critiqued this movie for us
stults71 November 2006
Unfortunately, we did not read a review of Flicka before taking our three children. Our 13-year old son commented during the movie about the father/son shoving scene. Our 9-year old daughter told us how disappointed she was that the girl was rebellious with no consequences for that behavior (in fact, she is rewarded), and our 16-year old said it was too sappy for her taste. I liked the music, the scenery, and the horses. The acting was good too, but the theme is counter to what we think are important values: integrity, respect for one another, and healthy communication. We own a paint horse and it is no where as big as the one portrayed in this movie. Was "Flicka" in fact a mustang?
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Very Good
cjbtl254 January 2007
I just went and seen this Movie. I loved it, it's a beautiful story. The Location and Horses are BEAUTIFUL. Alison Lohman does a wonderful job as Katy. Her emotion at one point in the movie made me cry. Her love for Flicka is known from the moment she sees her in the Mountains. The mother played by Maria Bello and is the glue that holds th family together. If there is a problem or conflict she tries to work out the problem. Ryan Kwanten plays Howard the son. He is cute. And he is the one the father wants to take over the ranch when the time comes. Katy(Lohman)and Howard(Kwanten) aren't just sister and brother but best friends. Tim McGraw does a pretty good job. The way he shows the characters love for his family is awesome. I can't wait for it to come out in the stores.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Flicka: modern presentation of an old - but pure - family concept!
canuckteach22 October 2006
I saw the film with grandkids Saturday Oct 21st here in Ontario, having read our colleague tollini's lead review (only). I, too, loved the movie and can report that the mixed audience (kids, teens, parents) was very quiet, and did not stir throughout. A 'youngster' with a horse on an ol' ranch is an ancient Hollywood concept (the original film 'My Friend Flicka' - available for review here at IMDb, was released in 1943). It's surprising that a modern 'sophisticated' audience can be entertained by it -- who says you can't sell pure story-telling any more? (--: Yes, there's conflict in the story - isn't that what intrigues us about great tales? This family does have respect and affection for one another, though - it is not mean-spirited. I mention this because L. Braun of the Tor-Sun 'dissed' the movie because of the conflict twixt dad and daughter, viewing this as a poor role-model! (ok, Liz).

It was interesting to see this story presented with the parents being youngish and attractive, despite having teenage children. I liked T. McGraw as the dad - but I couldn't help but picture Chris Cooper (of a few years ago - sorry, Chris!) as the ideal guy for the role.

I must concur with tollini that '..The cinematography and art direction are exceptional. You are actually there in Wyoming and can understand why people never want to leave...., and why they love their horses." May I also recommend tollini's gallery of film reviews? These are very classy films -- hardly a car-chase or FX-explosion to be had!

There are lots of scenes with little dialogue -- just great music, and interesting images. In fact, my theory is that the camera itself is the greatest FX - we can be intrigued by watching sweeping landscapes, or 'eavesdropping' on private conversations by means of it. That's what great story-telling is all about. - canuckteach (--:
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Attacked by a Cougar
tedg10 December 2006
This story in its original incarnation had some appeal. Coming of age, proving one's self, contact with nature — which in the original story was clearly conflated with confronting wild adolescent hormones. This was also the case of the "girl's" version "National Velvet" filmed immediately after the first, 1943, film of "My Friend Flicka."

Both of those new-sex-as-wild-horse stories were sappy and ordinary on the surface, but solid enough to last, to (almost) become a classics. Now see what has happened here: this fairly simple natural form has been beset upon by wildcats who have shredded it, turning it into the opposite of what it wants to be.

In the original form, the parents are simply dim but good. Everyone in the story is baffled by puberty, and only differ on how to handle it. In this disemboweled version, the girl is simply wild. She was wild before, during and presumably after we see her. Her dumbfounded parents only know how to fight, not to counsel. In the original, at the end is a harmony, a merging of child and beast where the beast is tamed and controllable and the child now empowered.

In this mortally wounded carcass, the girl wants to remain wild. We know she will be promiscuous, live unhappily (probably creating some new unhappy kids) and die. We know she will be sick or wounded but defiant in every event in her life. We know her parents will comply eventually to every request and wonder why they should be so cursed.

What a strange thing to celebrate harmful obstinacy. I suppose it is one legacy of how we sell presidents in the US.

And the cinematography. I found it ordinary in every respect.

7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
great camera work, rebellious child
littlerosemeade23 October 2006
I was very disappointed in this movie and would not take a tween to see it. The girl disobeys the father at every turn. It seems she thinks he makes rules only for her to break them. To make it worse, the mother sides with the child and not with her spouse.

Beautiful camera work, but no one rides anymore without a walkie talkie or a cell phone attached to their body, especially when they ride alone over vast amounts of land. And what about a horse so wild that no one can go near it, but they pen it up without food or water for days and days and someone must have gone in with it to pick up the manure...... It's just too bad that they didn't remake the old Flicka story. It was a great story.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Why you break my heart?
sariemarais18 February 2007
At the age of 12, I read the first book of this trilogy of Mary O'Hara. I lent the books at the school-library, and somehow i still got them (17 years later). The books were old, had a wonderful smell, and i had this ritual of listening to the soundtrack of "Days of Thunder" while reading the books every night on my bed. This is the memory from my childhood that i remember and value the most of all. The way O'Hara described Wyoming and the life on the farm, with the horses, the nature, the interaction between the family-members... I have never, even since, had a reading-experience like that (and I study literature at the university). It made me want to go to the US and settle in Wyoming. It was a world that embraced me all the way. It made me dream of certain actors that could realize these novels (at that time, in 1990, Mel Gibson was the perfect Rob for instance...). I found out that it would have been best to make a series of them, because all the parts in the books were so important for the good experience you get, that they would have to be included. I have always dreamed of these books to be realized on screen. But I was also afraid that someone would pick up the idea and tell the story from the books in a wrong way. And guess what happened? Last week I got a dog. Wonder why I called him Chaps? Exactly. So, today I went to the local café and found the Flicka-movie. I can tell you all I was surprised, I hadn't even heard of the movie. I brought it home, and now I've seen it, well, it's almost impossible to describe how betrayed I feel. It actually hurts inside. I don't think I was that hurt even when my boyfriend left me. What?! Who would destroy and Hollywoodify this beautiful novel? I'm so shocked I just had to write. I guess the movie could have been good if it didn't have the references to the novels of Mary O'Hara, but it does, and that just totally break my heart. Didn't the producers or the directors or anyone that had anything to do with this film-production ever read the three novels? This is a production that belongs in the trash-can. The only aspect from the novels they almost got to work, was the "Green Grass of Wyoming". But, Rob isn't quite like that! Ken is not a girl. The interaction between the family is totally misleading. Gus WAS Swedish, so why not let him be that? The wrong story on the name of Flicka. And then to commit the awful crime to mix Flicka with Thunderhead!! I can't believe what certain people are able to do just for the cause of making dirty, commercial money. To press this wonderful story down to a 90 minutes production I consider impossible to do, and if not impossible, it would take a great work of art to make. 20th Century Fox has dishonored and totally stabbed in the back the author of the books, the characters in the books, the name Flicka, and all the readers who ACTUALLY have read the books and know what they are like. Shame on you!!! You really make my heart bleed.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Pretty crummy
Maia Appleby17 March 2007
I thought this movie was terrible. Katie (the main character) is a miserable, thoughtless, rude brat who doesn't care who she hurts in her quest to get her own way. I think this is supposed to pass for "free-spirited", but I just couldn't like her at all. It's no wonder they sent her off to boarding school and kept her less selfish brother around the ranch.

The directing is lacking. I found myself wondering why, for example, I was watching people line dance for a while, and why they went swimming at one point. It didn't go together smoothly and there are many parts that just don't seem to go into the movie very well. There are some creepy parts where one of the ranch hands appears to have a crush on Katie, but that's also there for no reason.

The acting is really pretty good and some of the scenes of the horses and the mountains are breathtaking.

The theme itself is one that most of us will love, but my advice: If you like stories about how the history of the west was written on or by horses, watch "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" -- it's infinitely better.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Read the Book instead
Heath Henderson5 March 2007
This movie, while it was a good story, was horribly acted. At best, it can be described as over and under acted, which is quite an accomplishment. It's obvious that Tim McGraw as limited acting ability and Maria Bello's performance it quite disappointing. It must be stated that the script was as equally terrible as the acting that accompanied it.The best part of the movie is its visible stimulation. The movie location, Wyoming, is stunning and it must be said that the film's makers certainly choose the right locale. But that is as far as the goodness goes. I hear that"Flicka" is based on a book. My advice, skip the movie and read the book. It has to be better than this pile of crap on film.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Horse Feathers
Ric-724 October 2006
This is an extremely conventional, exactly-what-you-would-expect family film, which paints by the numbers, but unfortunately can't count higher than about 5. There is one absolutely terrific "movie moment": when Flicka is being hauled off, with Katie running down a dirt road screaming for Flicka . . . it starts to rain. No warning, no dark clouds before--it just starts to rain at just the right moment. It was so hokey--I loved it.

And then, when Katie develops 105-degree fever in the space of a couple hours and is unconscious, her dad (Tim McGraw) has a BIG scene. And this is after the big scene where the feverish and heavily made-up Katie comes down the stairs like Regan in The Exorcist and tells Dad something very touching.

The acting was very uninspired. Not awful, just not very interesting. This probably is best illustrated in McGraw's performance. In Friday Night Lights, he showed that with good direction, he could be a very interesting actor. Here, he was nothing more than passable.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wow...
Mike Anderson20 October 2006
I just saw this movie, and, throughout the whole movie I didn't know what was going on. It seemed like a long book turned into a 2 hour movie. I suppose if you really like horses you might enjoy this film. But if you know much about movies, it's an awful movie. The scene changes were all pretty random, and what wasn't random was extremely predictable. While watching this movie I kept thinking "Wow, this is the trailer, except it's 2 hours long, and explains a couple things." Until the credits rolled I didn't even know the characters' names, aside from a couple of them (Flicka, and Howard). In my opinion, there wasn't quite enough explaining. And I didn't really care about any of the characters.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
after school special
T Thunderbeing24 October 2006
Holy, I can't believe this movie got made. Im a pretty open-minded person. And I was looking forward to being entertained. Yeah, I knew it involved a girl and her horse, but still, I was open-minded, plus my date wanted to see it. I never read the book, but it was way too predictable. It was like I was psychic or something. about 10 minutes into it, I wanted to leave. it was agonizing.The main character who plays KATY was deece. she did a good job and was convincing. was nice to see a normal looking girl in this role besides the other young bubble heads in Hollywood (see Lindsay Lohan and Hillary Duff). Tim Mcgraw is terrible. Holy. His delivery is flat, forced and mono tone, like he is constipated or his jeans are too tight. He is the Mariah Carrey of country singers/actors. Also, like what rancher dad has a fake and bake tan with obvious hair plugs? I could not stop staring at them curling over his hair line. yeah the character worked outside, but he wore a hat. cowboys don't get THAT tanned. Dwight Yoakam or someone more realistic would have done well.at least dwight lets his thin locks flow, and sports a white pastey complexion. The actress who played the character of Nell was deece too. Didn't over act, and was subtle. she looked weathered and her hair was messy at times (more realistic) okay, who was jack? was he just a ranch hand? or a relative? not a realistic character. too pretty boyish. him and Tim's character were more prim and proper than the females in the movie. He seems like a good actor. but not cast well as a Coyboy. more like a mob bosses son or a cop. oh yes, the horse. I felt no connection to the horse. not like the one in Hildago. Sorry horse. other than that the rest of the cast did its job. in closing, Tim McGraw and the story like sucked. Boring movie. Even the ultra conservative residents of Utah will doze off. I bet Mike Tyson could write a more heartfelt movie than this one. ~T~
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Horrible remake of a classic film
Michael Hall31 August 2007
This film is just HORRIBLE! Its not even true to the original at all! This film totally ignores the original book.There are also many, MANY changes in this one from the original, like this one:The main character is changed to female Katy McLaughlin, when in the original it was male Ken McLaughling.Horses even died on the set of this film.And I'm sick of EVERYBODY saying ''No horses died, its just a rumor.'' or ''They just made that up, no horses were killed.'' Well, horses WERE killed! Isn't that horrible? Horses have helped us in dozens of ways and they shouldn't be slaughtered! This is just a stupid, horrible movie! Two words: SKIP IT.The original is much better than this movie.If you watch the original, trust me, you will NOT be displeased.Down with this horrid remake!

5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Sappy and cheesy at its worst!
rlnutt5 November 2006
My wife dragged me to see this movie and I fully expected to see a chick flick/kid flick and I wasn't disappointed!

Tim McGraw really needs to take some acting classes before he takes on another movie role and the script is barely entertaining at best.

The rest of the cast is talented and do their best with such a sugary story line, but even their obvious abilities couldn't save this movie!

It would be a decent Lifetime movie, but not a feature! Wasted my time and money going to see this movie, but I did owe my wife one for my choice a few months back with Snakes on a Plane! I think we're even now!

WAIT FOR THE DVD!!!
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?