The Last Kiss (2006) Poster

(2006)

Better than I expected
anhedonia3 October 2006
I know I saw the 2001 Italian original, but didn't remember much about it until I saw Tony Goldwyn's remake and the scenes and story came back. And it then surprised me how much of the original I managed to remember. That's also possibly because Oscar-winner Paul Haggis' screenplay sticks awfully close to its Italian origins.

I am a fan of Zach Braff's work. "Scrubs," for my dough, is the best half-hour comedy on TV and his directorial debut, "Garden State," was one of the best films of 2004.

"The Last Kiss" is not a romantic comedy by any stretch of the imagination, no matter what advertising campaign the studio launched. This is a well-acted, well-told story about the dumb things we men do to the women we love. And, of course, the consequences.

The film delves deeply into the insecurities of its characters, never offering pat answers or easy resolutions. There are no Richard-Gere-climbing-the-fire-escape-to-get-Julia Roberts moments in the film.

Braff plays Michael, a 30s man facing the harsh reality that the rest of his life has been plotted out and he longs for something different. Despite having a gorgeous fiancée Jenna (the lovely Jacinda Barrett), he finds temptation around the corner.

The film balances its three subplots well. They never interfere with the Michael-Jenna saga, yet add to the complexities of the story.

However, I found it interesting that while in the Italian film, the object of the protagonist's desire was a high-school Lolita, Haggis and Co. opted to make her - in this case, Kim (Rachel Bilson) - a college student. The Italian film tends to be a bit more potent on that level, though Michael's attraction to Kim is believable.

The performances all find the right pitch. Braff is completely believable as the confused young man in search of meaning to his life. Barrett is heartbreakingly good. There also are some terrific supporting performances from Casey Affleck, Blythe Danner and Tom Wilkinson. Then again, when was the last time you saw Wilkinson perform badly?

Couples should see this film. It's a mature, thoughtful, unpretentious, and sometimes even difficult, movie to see. But it is gratifyingly good. Don't go expecting a typical fluffy date movie. This film raises interesting and important questions about couplehood and then lets you figure out the answers. When was the last time a Hollywood film did that?
82 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Mature Look at Relationships.
Maximillian Hope18 September 2006
The Last Kiss, a film by Tony Goldwyn (Yes son of Samuel Goldwyn) was adapted from the 2001 Italian film L'Ultimo bacio, and written for the screen by none other than Paul Haggis. The Last Kiss goes through a number of relationships, spanning a number of different ages, and dissects the hardships of those relationships. Zach Braff seems to have upgraded his acting from Garden State and might actually become a more dexterous and talented actor than previously perceived. Paul Haggis' wonderful dialog lends greatly to the reality and adversity that co-exist alluringly within this screenplay. This film has been incorrectly advertised as a romantic comedy that puts Braff in the middle of two girls, and he cannot decide which one he wants to continue his life with. This is simply not true. The film is about a group of people that have just seen what the rest of their lives are going to be like, and want to add a small bump in the road of life. Overall the film does a lot more than your average romantic comedy/buddy film, and shoves the afflictions and austerities of modern-day relationships in your face. This is not the greatest of date movies, like the trailer wants us to believe, and should be perceived as a more earnest and pensive film than it appears.
58 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'The Last Kiss' is one of the better movies dealing with adulthood
moviesfan1112 July 2007
The Last Kiss; Michael is a frustrated architect on the brink of turning 30, who's spirits are dampened when he begins feeling as if his life is formulatic and planned. At a good friend's wedding, he meets Kim, a beautiful and charming college student. Michael's uncertanties with his fiancée Jenna lead to an unexpected affair with his new collegiate. However Michael is forced to deal with the consequences of his actions when his secret spills.

The Last Kiss is a very good movie, although you're likely to be depressed leaving the theater if you are under the age of 30. Smart, engaging and honest, along with incredible acting and dead-on dialogue add up to a penetrating, insightful melodrama that isn't afraid to pull the punches.

The movie is undeniably sad, but it's a certain type of sad in which you will probably find it hard to look away. The characters are interesting, flawed people just like you and me, and everyone stumbles onto something interesting from scene to scene.

4 from 5
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Quite Garden State 2
merkfosta11 September 2006
Don't necessarily expect to see the next step in Andrew Largeman's life. While the trailer makes you think "Hey, it's Zach Braff playing another guy who is confused about his life, and not sure where to go from here", The Last Kiss does offer a little more. For one its much more mature, and the characters are all flawed (and not in cute 'Natlalie Portman lies to get people to like her' ways) and they are all real. The performances were far better than i expected, the entire cast shines. The movie succeeds in appealing to everyone. No matter who you are and what state your romantic life is in, you will find someone to relate too.

Jacinda Barrett finally gets to show some acting skills, and comes through beautifully. Casey Affleck is great. Zach Braff makes me understand why he wants something different, despite the fact that Jacinda Barrett seems so lovable. And the biggest surprise is Rachael Bilson. Early on she seems as if she is playing Summer Roberts on the big screen, but as her character unfolds she simmers with sex appeal, and was able to break my heart with just a simple gesture.

The Last Kiss succeeds in letting its actors shine, and if anything you should see it for its great soundtrack.
128 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is that the Last kiss? Is that it?
Jamester11 September 2006
I saw this at the Toronto International Film Festival to a packed house!

And what a showing it was!

When I stepped in to watch this, I had no idea where the movie would go, nor if it would be remotely interesting. But it quickly started to make sense. An outdoor wedding by the lake, guys talking guy stuff, and cute girls chatting and flirting from the other table, and soon you know it's going to be about guy/girl relationships. And so the plot evolves.

And while it's not an entirely unique story-line, there are unique things about it. The characters are distinct. The main cast of 4 guys all get enough screen time and have their own 'problems' that can easily interweave that the story could really jump from one character to the next. That's a good thing. A relatively predictable story then becomes slightly less so.

If you're looking for a moderate movie -- nothing too serious, but then nothing too fluffy -- something that you can watch, maybe chuckle a few times, or maybe something that might get you to think more deeply about relationship (and in particular if you're considering getting into a long-term relationship, or if you're not sure a long-term relationship you're in), then this would be just the ticket. You get into the minds of the characters, and there are quite a few that you can get to know, which lets you empathize with them. Some questions that I pondered watching this: is avoidance an option in life? Is truth always the best policy?

Anyways, women will find this to be an enjoyable watch, as there are a few distinct women's points of view that come forth through this which seemed quite honest.

Anyways. Strong acting. A few giddy moments, but fun overall. The result was a story that moved along nicely.
120 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining and surprising
JP7 September 2006
I found myself actually enjoying this movie very much. Without giving anything away, it deals with the story of four male friends and how their relationships with women have evolved. They are all in their late 20's about to hit 30 and the reality of behaving and acting like an adult suddenly sets in.

I liked the movie very much because I saw myself in the main character and how I used to be when I was his age. Entertaining! The ending was actually surprising--the movie dealt with how both men and women react when they are hurt by the ones we love.

Go see it! Two thumbs up!
95 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A slightly problematic, yet excellent and poignant coming-of age film
DonFishies13 September 2006
Although I could never pin-point the one "off thing" about Garden State, I still am in believe that it is one of the best films I have seen in the past few years. Zach Braff really showed his worth with that film, and being an off-fan of Scrubs as well, I looked forward to his next film. It has been two years, but finally we now have The Last Kiss, which was scripted by recent two-time Oscar winner Paul Haggis. I managed to win a double pass to see a sneak preview of the film, and after seeing it, I am very glad that I did.

The Last Kiss centres around Michael (Braff). He is twenty-nine, and like anyone growing up, is conflicted about life. He has a wonderful girlfriend, Jenna (Jacinda Barrett), who just happens to be expecting their child, and life-long friends (the likes of which include Casey Affleck and Eric Christian Olsen). But as he is beginning to go through this crisis, he ends up meeting a young College student named Kim (Rachel Bilson), who becomes totally drawn to Michael after she lays eyes on him during a wedding.

What follows is a somewhat poignant coming-of age story. It is a bit of a departure from the usual work Haggis does, but his work here is just as good as the rest. On one hand, it is nowhere near as good as Garden State, but on the other, it feels more realistic and more mature than it. These are real characters facing real problems, and the fact is that, almost anyone can identify with them. The film stays grounded in reality for its entirety, and rarely deviates off course (unlike some of the strange subplots in State).

While it does focus on Braff's character mainly, there is special attention brought down in many cases to Affleck's character (as Olsen's soul purpose seems to be most of the comedy and/or sex scenes). It is honest and for the most part, absolutely heart-breaking to watch the characters go through life's challenges. But at it's core, like State, it is a film that speaks to the current generation, and tries to make an attempt at letting them know that everyone feels these anxieties, and that they truly are not easy to deal with. I would be lying if I did not say that I saw a little bit of myself and my thoughts in these characters.

The excellent performance here from Braff only continues to prove why he will soon become one of Hollywood's most sought-after actors. While some of the things his character ends up doing over the course of the film may become slightly agitating, his performance does not. Although his facial expression barely changes throughout the film, you can see the genuine emotion he is conveying in his performance. His body language and demeanor is both touching and pitiful (in a good way) at the same time. You really do not know if you want to love or hate this guy through his anxiety-ridden phase, and as a result, Braff really strikes an emotion-chord that probably would never have been even nearly as well developed with any other actor.

Barrett and Bilson really stand out as the women in Braff's characters life. They play their characters so they distinctly different to the point of it being deliciously delightful all at once. The two contrast each other magnificently, from Barrett's wholesomeness to Bilson's devilish sexiness. The happiness and sadness they have to go through is excellent, and again, really gives a sense of realism to the film. They really grow throughout the film, and their chemistry with Braff is an absolute wonder to witness. Supporting turns from Affleck, as well as Blythe Danner and Tom Wilkinson as Jenna's parents are all very well done (although slightly underplayed), and only complement the other three even more so.

The only thing I can really find wrong with the film lies squarely with Haggis' script (which was reportedly edited slightly by Braff). While the film is great, it really does not stay solid on what it is trying to be. Is it a comedy? Is it a drama? It is hard to tell, as scenes that should be purely whimsical are not all that funny, and devastatingly dramatic scenes have the audience laughing hysterically. This only happened in a few instances (the rest of the scenes are either funny or dramatic), but it was downright awkward in many cases. Braff managed to blend the two together quite well for Garden State, and we have seen how masterful Haggis' work is, so why does it all not totally come together here? It really makes for quite the serious question, as the film could have easily slipped in as the best of the year so far, but must contend with being just one of the best.

While the film has a chillingly bizarre problem with its tone, the performances and story more than make up for it. This is an excellent and poignant coming-of age film, and yet another vehicle to show off the work of Braff and Haggis. And with a superb supporting cast to boot, I am unsure of what more to ask for.

8/10.
61 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Be prepared to face yourself.
jdesando14 September 2006
"And he knew, before he could kiss her, he must drive something out of himself. And a touch of hate for her crept back again into his heart." D. H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers

I don't know about you, but maintaining love amid the pressures of modern society makes me feel every time as if this is the last kiss, even in a long term relationship. Will she tire of me or I of her? Will a baby change everything? Will marriage lock me in to my future without my control?

These and other contemporary issues such as realistically understanding parents' adult-love situations are the purview of The Last Kiss, an intense melodrama that watches the disintegration and sometimes rehabilitation of every relationship in the film, including a parents' seemingly perfect union.

As writer Paul Haggis did with Million Dollar Baby and Crash, he fashions reality-like dialogue around common struggles, which he elevates to universals. For example: "The world is moving so fast now that we start freaking long before our parents did because we don't ever stop to breathe anymore." This is not Eugene O'Neill, but it may be closer to modern idiom than the noted playwright's work.

In other words, these situations sound more real than reality TV, even though both are scripted, possibly because this film does not attempt to glamorize or accessorize the everyday challenges of maintaining love. Ibsen crossed with Pinter is the closest I can come to the style and tone of The Last Kiss, as good an explication of modern romance as we're going to get this year.

Granted, the people in this film are better looking than we and have more leisure time to agonize than we do, but then the beauty of art is in excising the mundane and exposing the big issues often played out by the beautiful. I fault the film only for its absolute adherence to reality, which does not admit elevated language while other elements are heightened such as the beautiful parents' home and the temptress's unworldly seductiveness.

Be prepared to face yourself if you have a last kiss.
60 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
True to life
kell997919 February 2007
Of all the movies I have seen recently, trying to grasp a hint of real life experience, this delivers in a splendid and quite significant way. Not to mention the terrific acting, but the comparison of several different relationships really works. Zach Braff is awesome as usual, as well as Casey Affleck's unusual appeal as the "the very unhappy married man" but the real surprises for me were that of Jacinda Barrett and Rachel Bilson. Jacinda Barrett, aka Real World London hottie, who knew she had this in her? Her and Braff's fight scenes literally brought tears to my eyes because they were so true to life, the acting from her was phenomenal. And Rachel Bilson? Goodbye O.C., hello mistress of seduction. She really broke away from her only known role as Summer Roberts, and introduced the world to a more mature actress, willing to take risks that actually work!!! The ending is definitely left up to interpretation, which changes the age old myth, that all problems can be resolved in two hours time!! I highly recommend this film.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Disappointing, I gotta say...
Turriff8 January 2007
So, My lucky streak is over...I finally rented a bad movie. Maybe it was because I was lazy, maybe its because my regular video store guy was there...who knows...

The point is, The Last Kiss wasn't worth the effort. The acting was so-so, especially the performance from Rachel Bilson, who I secretly find really unattractive. Her and the lead Zach Braff have absolutely no chemistry, and the love scene between them is an awful, painful experience.

I still enjoy Zach, though, and I'll forgive him for one bad movie.

Highlights are really limited to Tom Wilkinson and Casey Affleck in supporting roles. Not big, but they make the movie a little more bearable.

All in all, I wouldn't suggest this movie. I'd give it an Only if you had to, unless you're a huge Zach Braff fan. In which case, watch it to say you saw it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Trite, undeveloped, stunted, abysmal....
sutekh13721 January 2007
I almost need to develop a new vocabulary for how terrible this movie is.

The characters are undeveloped, uninteresting, unmotivated, unbelievable, and unsympathetic. Every role is compromised in the writing to be shallow and flawed, though no reasons other than "life is hard" are given for the flaws.

Does this make the movie "honest"? Hardly. It makes it a montage of clichés and stereotypes, with stilted dialog and horrible acting to go with it. Why do these characters even care about each other, much less me caring about them? That's just for starters. Even within any given scene, there are dialog and emotional inconsistencies. An actual line from what I think was supposed to be a dramatic break-up scene involves a woman opening a door and screaming "GET OUT!" to her husband. Seconds later, she says, "Go on, go if you want to!" What? Do you want him to get out, or go if he wants to? Again, I am sure plenty of folks (I am very negatively astounded that this movie impresses roughly 2/3rds of viewers) will consider that part "suitably confusing" and "true to the emotional nature of the scene". No. Well-written scenes remain consistent while still being packed with drama and real emotion. This was packed with TV-movie quality triteness, written by someone who apparently feels the need to preach at our faces and hit us over the head with how hard life is. Seriously, I have bruises.

Underlying ALL of this aggravating cinema is a distinct feel of victim mentality. EVERY character is playing the victim in this film. Poor me, deciding about marriage is hard. Poor me, holding a marriage together (or not) is hard. Poor me, life is full of temptations. Poor me, I thought I had it all together and now I am using platitudes to try to describe it to the world. Oh dear, it really could not have been a worse movie if it had tried. Maybe it WAS trying to specifically represent the worst way in the world to spend 100 minutes.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More true today than ever
Kristine27 December 2006
I wasn't really too interested in seeing The Last Kiss, but I heard so many good things about it, especially from my best friend, so I decided to give the movie a shot. Even though it still felt like an American version of Love Actually, because it gave us a view of what different relationships are like with a little twist of how men, no matter how good their intentions are to stay with the same woman, there is always a falter. The Last Kiss is proof that there is always a grey area in relationships no matter how strong they may seem.

We have 5 men, one is in a relationship with a woman who is carrying his child, but he meets another young college girl at wedding and discusses his fear of the relationship. One can't get enough loving and refuses to to commit. One is in a marriage with a new born baby and is feeling the hard core pressure from his wife to become a good father. One can't get over his ex and refuses to give up on her, but finally decides to do some traveling to see what's out there. And finally we have our long term married man who has taken his wife for granted.

The Last Kiss turned out to be over all a good surprise and I think most adults could relate to in one way or another. Although the ending left us with some confusion, I think we could all interpret what happened, so it's all good. But I would recommend The Last Kiss for all movie lovers or even if you are just looking for a good movie, because let's face it, we do sometimes need a mirror to see what's going on in our lives.

16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another movie about a man thinking with the wrong head
Joseph Belanger21 September 2006
THE LAST KISS Written by Paul Haggis Directed by Tony Goldwyn

If you spend any time at all at Zach Braff's myspace page, you would read how excited and proud he is of his latest starring role in THE LAST KISS. In it, he plays Michael, a 29-year-old architect who has everything he's ever wanted. He has a great position at a large firm in a field he loves; he has a strong group of friends who are always there for each other; and he has a beautiful, intelligent girlfriend who loves him deeply. He knows he's a lucky man and his friends and family see how he's about to get luckier with his girlfriend pregnant with their first child. He has them all fooled though because he sees this baby more as permanency than possibility. In many ways, this is the perfect follow-up to GARDEN STATE, in which, in addition to writing and directing, he also plays a man in his mid-twenties who does not know where his life is headed. It is only natural to find a similar character a few years later facing the issues that confront you when you finally get your ducks in line. And whereas Michael's fear of never being surprised by life again is a real anxiety, the hollow characters that make up this ensemble lend little humanity to this reality. THE LAST KISS plays out, with rare exception, as a once-fresh tale that has been spoiled by one-dimensional characters, unmotivated actions, uninspired dialogue and an expectation that its deeper than it really is.

From the way Braff goes on in his blog postings, one would almost think he wrote and directed this film too. Despite not having any way to test this theory, I wonder if the film would have been better if he had. Braff's creative influence on GARDEN STATE elevated it to a higher caliber of film making because of its innovative visuals, believably broken characters and timely musings. THE LAST KISS was written by two-time Academy Award winning writer, Paul Haggis (CRASH, MILLION DOLLAR BABY). Haggis juggled an even larger ensemble in CRASH and managed to give nearly every character enough backstory to make them tangible. Here, characters are more like symbolic signifiers for Braff's Michael to go through his own transformation. One of the more notable examples is his friend, Chris (played by Casey Affleck who brings more heart to his character than any of the other younger cast members). Chris is married and has a newborn, whom his wife has grown so attached to that she no longer has interest or patience for her husband. The insinuation that this hell is what awaits anyone who gets married and has a baby is groan-inducing. Yet another obvious purpose is served in the writing of Michael's future in-laws (played by the always subtle Tom Wilkinson and always fragile Blythe Danner). They remind Michael, and us of course, that a long term marriage is difficult at best but yet somehow still worthwhile if you work real hard and learn to forgive.

Despite all these poorly hidden character devices, I believe that Haggis' script is only made worse by Tony Goldwyn's direction. The problems even begin in the opening shot. Feet stroll by in close-up from each end of the frame while the credits appear amidst the limbs. A car approaches very slowly behind them and the camera tilts up to reveal Michael and his girlfriend, Jenna (Jacinda Barrett), sitting silently. The movement is awkward but the effort is noble. She asks what he is thinking about and he replies that he was wondering how he got so lucky to have her in his life. As he says this, a bus pulls up along side with a lingerie ad on its side. Michael leers and it becomes immediately obvious that THE LAST KISS will be about a man who learns to stop thinking with his penis and start feeling with his heart. Only Braff exudes too much sensitivity for him to come off as a typically uncaring guy. By the time Michael meets Kim (Rachel Bilson) at a friend's wedding (an event that naturally depresses the typical male because it feels so final), he has cemented his stance as the man who has no idea what he wants. This is perfect because Kim is the younger temptress who knows what she wants but has no idea why. They sit in a tree house and exchange thoughts on how the world moves so fast that it is only natural that people break down far earlier than in past generations. It may be a contemporary theory but it feels as borrowed from GARDEN STATE as the film's soundtrack does.

Zach Braff, post-GARDEN STATE, has become something of an easily identifiable every man. He filled the shoes for a generation unsure of its path and desperately in need of meaning. And though he merely plays a role in THE LAST KISS, he has become the face of the film thanks to all his praise and enthusiasm for it. I can understand his pride in his performance but his character is flat and unimpressive. The man he once personified may have been lost but was open minded and bravely forging out a fresh, new course for himself. The man he has now become walks down a run down street in worn out shoes and blends in with the crowd.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big pretentious pile of crap!
Jill Franklin1 August 2007
This film was truly terrible! I have seen soap operas that convey human emotion more effectively.

Main problems 1. Lack of character development - We are supposed to care about these relationships when we know nothing about the people in them.

2. Sexism - all the women in this film nag, whine and seem 100% reliant on men 3. Overblown, badly acted emotional scenes - These scenes made me cringe and laugh in equal measure. Who likes having arguments? Why the hell would you want to spend your leisure time watching them 4. The end - it ends so abruptly and randomly! I cannot believe I wasted an hour of my life watching this film. People who say they like it have a serious case of the Emperor's New Clothes!
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A brilliant look at real relationships and heart ache and coming of age that isn't teen age
Robert W.4 February 2007
Every once in awhile a film appears and really surprises you with how intelligent and real it is and the powerful message it conveys. It's usually these films that you just find something that connects you to it and makes an impression on you and The Last Kiss certainly did that for me. The Last Kiss could perhaps be described as a dark comedy but I truly think it's comedic value simply comes from being a very true to life film...art imitating life as it were. The cast are all very strong and the story is riveting and important and has such a strong moral lesson behind it that everyone and anyone can get something from it. Most importantly it is in a very small selection of films that deals quite poignantly with the coming-of-age of a different sort. Most people consider coming-of-age somewhere in your teens...almost twenties but for a lot of twenty-somethings we know that becoming an adult sometimes takes a little longer and that is exactly what this film deals with.

Zach Braff definitely demonstrates some serious acting chops with this film and pulls far away from his comedic roots although this isn't the first time. Braff is truly great as the anxious, overwhelmed late twenties guy Michael, who suddenly finds himself on the brink of leaving youth behind. He has marriage in front of him, friends that are on to different paths in their lives, and everything appears 'planned out.' Braff shows a confused, rather immature man who finds out he wants to grow up almost to late. He's a relate-able character to anyone watching the film. Jacinda Barrett plays Michael's long time girlfriend Jenna that everyone loves including Michael but he sees her as his final step into leaving youth behind. They share a wonderful relationship but Michael is scared. Braff and Barrett are perfect together and have terrific chemistry. Barrett is perfect as the hurt and devastated girlfriend in everything. Rachel Bilson plays the young, carefree, hot college student Kim that turns Michael upside down when she shows an interest in having a fling with him. Bilson is terrific in this role and probably had a difficult time with it considering she isn't exactly the character to like in the film. Nonetheless some may relate to her and see her for what she is. Her chemistry with Braff is also outstanding and comes across as more of an obsession than real which is perfect for the role. Michael's friends, each in their own stage of life, are played by Casey Affleck, Michael Weston and Eric Christian Olsen. The three of them do a great job in their small roles and each represent a different path in life that the four of them are looking onto.

Legendary TV and screen writer Paul Haggis knows how to capture emotion and realism which is exactly what makes his stories so amazing and he puts exactly that into this film. On top of that the actors are perfectly cast, the story moves at the perfect pace and it's just all around a great film. The film is almost hard to watch because Braff's character makes so many errors that almost make you cringe but it's real life and everything unfolds like that. I think I might have enjoyed the film more had their been less of a happy or good ending because then it would have demonstrated consequences of Braff's actions but nonetheless the film is terrific. Definitely not much of a romance or a date film but a great movie to watch with anyone. 9/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Anti-Date Movie
Superunknovvn13 March 2007
This is a movie that takes the characters where they don't usually go. It's not a romantic movie and if the hero makes a mistake it's not a sweet one, not one that the audience would adore. Still, "The Last Kiss" gives you more opportunities to identify with the main characters than most romcoms. We get a look at the phase after the romantic beginning. After the butterflies in your stomach have gone and it's actually hard work to keep your relationship alive.

The way love is portrayed as something bleak here in five different story lines seems a bit forced at times and some characters are downright annoying. It probably would have been better to just concentrate on Zach Braff's story (and to avoid having Casey Affleck in the cast).

The other mistake that "The Last Kiss" makes is that it's smart alec in certain parts of the dialog, spelling out things for you that you really could have thought of for yourself. For instance, one character is giving a speech at one point about how life is always getting faster, so people sleep into crisis at younger ages, blah blah blah. Yes, that's not really a revelation. The movie is much more interesting, when we just see the main character slipping deeper and deeper into trouble and being unable to resist his temptation.

The target audience, if you want, for this movie are the twenty somethings going thirties. That point in your life when you realize you're really not that young anymore and you can't decide between growing up and enjoying the last days of your youth. Everyone in that age will find that "The Last Kiss" really speaks to him or her.

Speaking of him or her: this is definitely not a movie you would want to watch with your partner as it's probably going to lead to some heated discussions. Women will probably very much identify with the female characters, while men will feel the pain of Braff and his friends.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen "L'ultimo baccio", yet, so I cannot compare "The Last Kiss" to the original. Judging it by its own merit, however, I found the remake to be an overall thought-provoking and original movie.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cheesy, Low Rent, "The Graduate" Wanna Be
Ew.

"The Last Kiss" thinks it is "The Graduate," an up-to-the minute, profound, truth-telling film about love and life.

What it is is stupid, ugly, patronizing drek.

Its "band of brothers," a group of guys who watch each other's backs, is as phony as a three dollar bill.

One, a slacker who lives for anonymous flings, is much better looking than that type of guy is in real life -- he has the body of a 'roid-injecting, carb-shunning, gay stripper.

One is meant to be the endearing guy who can't move on from his last relationship; in fact he is a creepy stalker who could, without any change to hair, makeup, or whiney voice, star in his own "Friday the 13" style horror films.

The "decent one" in the clique dumps his wife just after she has given birth to their son. Counseling? Therapy? He doesn't bother. He just dumps her. And, remember, he's the decent one.

In any case, not a single character in this movie makes any sense at all. Blythe Danner leaves her husband for no reason, and then reunites with him for no reason.

Rachel Bilson is supposed to be a teenager -- ! -- who "falls in love with" Zach Braff, who is supposed to be much older. Bilson is no teenager and she can't pass for one. She and Zach Braff are not that much different in age. Bilson's personal total lack of charisma is made even creepier by her trying to pass as a teenager and a younger woman.

I could go on pointing to the utterly illogical garbage that passes for plot in this mess, but suffice it to say that every ten minutes or so, like clock work, the movie shows you some woman naked.

Okay, you're thinking, maybe I should see this movie. If you are thinking that, then this movie was made exactly for you -- someone who will believe garbage dialogue is profound, lousy acting is profound, and a pointless plot is profound, as long as every ten minutes, like clockwork, you get to look at a naked woman.

Here's a thought -- why not just stay at home and surf the internet? This movie is so bad that sitting at home pathetically taking in internet porn is a veritable feast for the soul in comparison.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the trailer lied
AshleyDenise17 September 2006
The trailer is one big lie. That's the first thing to realize. It is not the film you picture in your head--that film I dare say would be much better. I'm trying to think of a way to describe it. Above all, it strikes me as a failed attempt at making the guy equivalent of a chick flick. The only problem is that while the vapid loneliness of the chicks portrayed in chick flicks is grading, the moral repugnance of the men in this film degrades the women they supposedly love or at least make love to.

All in all the film would be worlds better if it didn't suffer from a unbelievable lack of subtext. Also, the cinematography struck me as amateurish; the angles, the depth of field, and frame choices were poorly chosen. There was even a scene in the beginning of a film where they broke the 180 degree line, and not in a purposeful way. The acting wasn't terrible. I guess at least the soundtrack was good.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Last Kiss
cultfilmfan23 September 2006
The Last Kiss is a remake of the 2001 Italian film of the same name. The movie is about a group of best friends in their twenties who each are having a midlife crisis and don't know what they are going to do in the future with their relationships with the women they love and how they are going to face the things that come with marriage, having children, buying a house and other things we face as we get older and fall in love. The film focuses on the men finding themselves interested in other women, not sure of what they really want and in the end what they want to do with their lives. The movie also focuses on a middle age couple and how they handle their rocky relationship. The Last Kiss has good direction, a good adapted screenplay, good performances by the entire cast and good original music. This past year I have already seen The Break Up a film about a couple who are thinking about breaking up and overall it wasn't a very good movie, but now we finally get a great movie about relationships and about the choices we have to make in the future. The performances in this film were all great and the direction and script (even though it was adapted from the earlier film) were also very good. The characters in this film were all very likable and believable characters and I for one could relate to things going on in their lives and things they said and I think a lot of people whether you are a young adult to middle age will be able to relate to this movie in some way and it may remind you of the fears and decisions you have had to make in your own life. I also felt for the characters and even though they made mistakes and did things that may not have been the best you still care for these characters and like them and hope that somehow things will manage out for them in the end. The film kept my interest for the entire running time of the movie and I really got compelled into this movie and the different characters. The film has a few comedic moments that work quite well and the dramatic moments are played out very well and are very realistic and at times represent people and life very well. I also found this to be a very honest movie and I liked how the movie didn't sugar coat things and make everything happy and like a family movie ending and without being too sappy or melodramatic. For being a movie that is entertaining, well made, well acted and that is a movie that is easy to relate to and for being such an honest and realistic film I really loved this movie. The Last Kiss is one of the best films of the year and I hope that the age group that this movie is intended for (both young adult and middle age) will see it and find it as rewarding an experience as I have.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst Movie
Reid Cain5 October 2006
I am a simple movie goer that has never left a comment before. But this movie was so bad I feel obligated to let others know. It is the darkest movie I have ever seen, that wasn't one smile to be had the entire time and you left this movie unhappy, upset, angry and otherwise mad. Some people compare it to Crash, but even Crash had some redeeming value and some positives at the end, this movie fails. I understand some people enjoy the non-traditional movie where it doesn't work out for ANYONE and everyone is upset and you feel like crap but not me.

The characters weren't even gripping, you didn't really care about any of them and you didn't even root for there happiness.

So plain and simple, if you are liking for a light feel good movie, this is not it. It you are angry at love and think no one in the world is ever happy then this is your movie. When this movie ended in the full theater someone yelled out so all could here, "THAT WAS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVRE SEEN!" The whole place erupted, agreeing by clapping and yelling!

I hope this helped. Cheers!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has anybody seen the original?
cathy_carty14 December 2006
Hello but everyone on this website is talking as though this is the original film IT ISN'T (although most of the trailers fail to mention that) its basically a very average translation of a great Italian film called 'L'ultimo bacio' by Gabriele Muccino from 2001. In the original film Carlo is in a relationship with Giulia and they are going to have a baby together (sound familiar) over the top of the film there is Carlo's dialogue about growing up and reaching 30 how when he was young he dreamt of being grown up and how now he is there he realises he preferred being young bla bla bla. Anyway he's at a wedding where he meets, the young, but beautiful, Francesca and he is infatuated with her etcetcetc. To cut a long story short has an affair realises what he's done and goes grovelling back to his pregnant girlfriend who obviously takes him back. At the same time his friends love stories are unfolding and a group decide to go on a roadtrip to Africa, etc. Also Giulia's parents split up but get back together. The point I'm trying to make is that it is exactly the same movie but it unfortunately never reached anyone in the English speaking world. I'm not saying the remake is bad its not, its good. I just think its a shame that none of you probably know there is an original let alone seen it. The original is one of my favourite films and however many times they remake they can never beat it. It was a good try though! I hasten to add that this new version has no sign of being released here in Italy, I have never heard any mention of it. Swings and roundabouts as they say.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"The Last Kiss" is a poor remake filled with unlikable, one dimensional characters as well as an extremely sappy and predictable script.
MovieManMenzel15 September 2006
"The Last Kiss" is a remake of a 2001 Italian film entitled "Ultimo bacio, L" aka "The Last Kiss." This film is about a man named Michael (Zach Braff) who seems to be in a great relationship with the woman of his dreams, Jenna (Jacinda Barrett). But when Jenna announces that she is pregnant with his child, Michael begins to think that his life from this point on will be very predictable. It isn't long before Michael makes the idiotic decision to get involved with a younger woman named Kim (Rachel Bilson). A dull soap-opera type film ensues…

Yawn…is really the best way to describe my feelings on "The Last Kiss." When I first saw the trailer for the film, I immediately wanted to see the film because not only did it look great but it had a great cast as well. Unfortunately, the interesting marketing campaign which makes this film seem like it will be "Garden State 2" isn't true at all.

So let me begin why I was disappointed with this film.

First off, it's a remake of an Italian film which is far superior. A remake can be good because it has happened before but "The Last Kiss" isn't. Next, the characters in this film are all very unlikable, one dimensional, selfish, and overall extremely stereotypical. When all was said and done I didn't care about any of the characters and I didn't care what happened to them. Thirdly, the film was so extremely predictable to the point where the members in the screening actually began laughing at the fact of how predictable it was. There were so many predictable scenes that it was almost like they were taken from previous movies. But what made it even funnier was the fact that so many people in the audience were just calling out every scene. Lastly, the movie felt overly long and boring even though it only ran an hour and 45 minutes. Many scenes felt overly long and dragged out, and there were a number of other scenes I could have done without like some of the sex scenes which seemed more like time fillers than anything else. Also the best friend played by Eric Christian Olsen was a completely pointless and meaningless character.

Moving on to the acting, I don't know if I should blame the actors, the script or director on this one. But I will say this; I think Rachel Bilson is a mediocre actress who really should remain on television in TV shows like The O.C. because her on-screen presence isn't good. Also I have to ask how does Eric Christian Olsen keep getting roles? He is such a horrible actor who plays the same character in every movie! Also I am beginning to think that if this film becomes a big hit, Zach Braff will continue to play the same depressed and confused character over and over again. It's a shame because I think he has a potential to be great actor but he seems to be type-casted or maybe he just always looks depressed for no reason. Also I don't know why but almost every scene with Blythe Danner was laughably bad, which I don't get because she definitely is a good actress so I can only guess the material she had just wasn't good for her. Lastly, Tom Wilkinson's character was almost a complete waste of a character and to have him in this film and not use him to his full potential is definitely a major let down. Like I said most of the cast is talented but they are just poorly used.

Besides the talented actors and actresses who were wasted in this film, what made me even more disappointed with the film was the fact that this movie was written by Paul Haggis. Haggis is the man who wrote academy award winning films like "Crash" and "Million Dollar Baby" but I guess he couldn't go 3 for 3. Thinking back on "Crash" he just put together a bunch of stereotypical racist characters. He did the same thing with this film without the characters being racist. The problem is unlike in "Crash" none of the characters had any redeeming qualities and the story wasn't anywhere as interesting. Its amazing how poorly written and predictable this film was because as I previously stated there were so many scenes that the audience just started screaming out what was going to happen next which made it funny when it wasn't suppose to be.

In conclusion, "The Last Kiss" was a huge disappointment in my eyes. I was expecting a great movie since the trailers made the film look outstanding. Also the cast and writer Paul Haggis had me believing that this movie would in fact be one of my favorite films of the year. But instead I have to agree with Edward Douglas from Comingsoon.net who said "Bring a barf bag and a razor blade, because you'll need one or both by the time you're done with this." I would have to agree because I couldn't wait for this film to end. It was so dull and the characters were so lame and unlikable that after 30 minutes of this film, I hoped they all died in a car accident so the film would end. It was definitely a disappointment and if anyone feels the urge to see this, I highly recommend that you wait till DVD because many will be disappointed with the fact that they spent their hard earned money on this average film that seemed like a soap opera or a made for television movie that would be shown on the lifetime network.

MovieManMenzel's final rating for "The Last Kiss" is a 4/10, a disappointing remake that is filled with unlikable characters and a dull and predictable story.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
don't expect "Garden State"
In "The Last Kiss" Zach Braff plays a twenty-nine year old dissatisfied with the adulthood that awaits him as he nears thirty. His situation is compounded when his girlfriend Jacinda Barrett gives him the old "I'm pregnant" routine and he meets Rachel Bilson, a clingy college coed, at a friend's wedding. The love-triangle twist is hardly a recent story idea, however, had the film not been bogged down by subplot upon subplot of all too similar circumstances occurring to relationships with little distance from our leads, perhaps "The Last Kiss" would not have felt so emotionally forced. Little or nothing about this film is the comedy it was advertised to be, but it fails dramatically as well. There is an unnecessary emotional distance put between the audience and all of the characters. The only gripping drama tends to involve varying degrees of whining and yelling. This "St. Elmo's Fire" level of self-loathing sounds so much better in French; or like this film's source material, Italian.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
They cut out the only redeeming part of the movie!
rensseor4 January 2008
I was fortunate enough to have lived in Italy at the time L'Ultimo Baccio -- the film this one is based on -- was released. And that's a great movie.

This one follows, more or less, the same plot as the other. But they skip the final scene that literally changes everything. Without this scene, it's a pathetic and generic movie not worth checking out. With it, not only would the movie have been moderately good -- it also would have lived up to it's title! I cannot even begin to convey how disappointed I was in this movie.

My advice? Skip this one and check out the original L'Ultimo Baccio.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
blech
eye-shuh19 March 2007
Worst. Movie. Ever. Don't waste your money or your time. It's every other movie you've ever seen about divorce, only this one stars Zach Braff and isn't remotely funny.

The only reason I rented it was because of Garden State. I thought if Zach Braff can write/direct/star such a clever and amazing movie that any subsequent movie he was in would be golden. I was so wrong.

The Last Kiss is a "slice of life" movie that tracks a few friends going thru rough patched in their relationships. It was clever or funny. It didn't make thoughtful comments about relationships or marriage. It was simply two hours of the most boring crap I've ever seen. I wanted to turn it off after the first 10 minutes but I held out strong desperately hoping for something, anything to make the movie worth the money, but there was nothing.

Please please stop giving this movie good reviews. I would have for more people to come on this site, see the movie recommended, and then waste two hours of their lives and want to kill themselves out of pure boredom.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this