Numb3rs (TV Series 2005–2010) Poster

(2005–2010)

Good mystery; I liked it!
Timfitzvs23 January 2005
Despite being another police drama (this time it is the FBI), it has several unique elements. I don't think I have ever seen a mathematician as one of the main characters in a TV show. It worked. I liked how he related to those he dealt with. He was able to communicate on a human level. The mystery and suspense aspect of the show was very good. The writing was also very good but it may be difficult for the show to keep up the quality of its writing with its main subject a mathematician. Although it is somewhat unrealistic, I liked the idea of the two brothers working together with a common objective with the father putting his two cents in once in a while. I found the show very entertaining and I hope it lasts.
109 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Novel Concept
jlowitz23 January 2005
As opposed to some users that write comments before viewing a new show/film, I just finished watching the first episode and I am so far very impressed. While the show may lose some points for taking the "safe route" of being yet another crime drama, I felt that the show's unique concept of mathematical probability dictating life (a la "Pi") and unconventional lead roles set it apart from its predecessors. I've never even been a big fan of any of the CSI series, but found this show very entertaining and watchable. I'm also happy to see that Sabrina Lloyd (Sliders) is still alive and well on the planet Earth.

Some viewers seem to let prejudices decide whether or not they like a show, but I've taken a look at the evidence, and I happen to be looking forward to the rest of the series.
90 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent
Peter Swanson8 April 2005
I like this show a lot. I'm not mathematically gifted, but I appreciate the logic behind it, and the universal applicability. Robert Heinlein said "If it can't be expressed mathematically, it's not a fact, but opinion," and he was right. I enjoy seeing an extremely intelligent person portrayed as a human being. During the last 15 years many popular shows have featured likable but illiterate louts (the characters of Dan Connor, Joey Tribiani, Jerry Seinfeld, and Doug Heffernan have all stated that they don't read,don't want to read, and don't like to read), and I appreciate having both the central- character brothers shown as bright, each in his own way. I also love the cast of this show. The only one with whom I wasn't familiar was David Krumholtz, and he more than holds his own in this group of old pros. I loved Sabrina Lloyd in the sharply-paced "Sports Night," and she's wonderful here as well. Peter MacNicol may be risking being type-cast as Mr. Looney Tunes, with his socially dysfunctional character in this show following his socially dysfunctional character in "Ally McBeal," but he's so good that it's still a pleasure to watch him work. "NUMB3RS" is primarily a good cop show, not an intellectual exercise, so no viewer should skip it because he's afraid it'll be too brainy for him. I'd recommend this show to anyone who isn't afraid to think, and to watch others do it who are better at it than we.
79 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great show
brian botkiller4 February 2005
This is an awesome show, definitely one of the best CBS has rolled out in a long time. In an age when TV shows are playing themselves out early by relying on tired ideas, Numb3rs has the potential for great things, because it's starting with an original idea that builds from something that is a great basis for a TV show; Crime. David Krumholtz is truly awesome in his Role as Charlie, the brilliant mathematician who helps his brother, Don (Rob Morrow, of "Northern Exposure" fame) solve FBI crimes using his mind and intelligence (oh no!) thru mathematics. The show will be a bit much for some folks; lots of quick moving thoughts, fast ideas and not a lot of gun play. The series is executive produced by Ridley and Tony Scott, both whom are known for electrifying stories to new levels. Their influence is felt on the camera work; the show moves like a film, not like a TV show. These few factors plus great writing will hopefully keep this show alive for a long time, beating out the boredom of most shows on ABC and NBC as of late. Five stars out of five. Catch this show.
63 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show with interesting theories.
mnmurray24 January 2005
Numb3rs offers a fresh and interesting look at the worlds of law enforcement and mathematics. The two subjects, though seemingly different, work well together in this series. The focus of this show is not the crime, mathematics or policing, but the relationship between these three components and how they can work together to find a solution that is otherwise elusive - each offering information that would not normally be entertained. The relationship between Don, Charlie and their father is secondary to the plot, but no less important to the show's ideas. I can't say that I've watched a lot of their previous work, but I can say that I look forward to watching this show each week to see how Charlie and his mathematics can help DOn and his FBI team solve another crime.
72 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Constantly degrading
tr_s16 February 2010
As an engineer, I must say this show's first season started out very promising. Most of the applied mathematics were somewhat plausible, and the relationships portrayed between the Eppes brothers and father gave the show an interesting edge.

But after the first season, the show started degrading, heavily. Most of the mathematics and technology used in crime solving is now utter gibberish and very laughable to all people involved in science & technology for real.

The involvement from the actors still feels okay and I can imagine a fair amount of money is still going into producing each episode, but in the end, this has degraded to a very unpleasantly tasting dish which is a mix of a grade C action thriller and CSI style cop show.

If you are gonna watch it, go for only the first season and possibly parts of the second. Thereafter I would not waste my time. Myself, I gave the show up midway through season 3.

Season 1 - 8 stars Season 2 - 5 stars Season 3 - 3 stars

Let's sum that up to 4 stars. Since Charlie doesn't know his math anymore, I won't bother with the correctness of mine either.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rare Gem for the Whole Family
vibeke-221 October 2005
Numb3rs is a rare gem in the world of modern television. When most shows revel in outrageous and offensive behavior, those of us seeking a high-quality show finally have something to watch. This show isn't centered around cruelty, lewdness or malice, but teamwork and family, things most programs today lack. Rob Morrow and David Krumholtz are perfect as brothers Don and Charlie, who are almost complete opposites, yet they work together well to solve the problems that arise in each episode. And the other members of the cast are just as important as the two main characters. Each member of the team has something to contribute, and by the end of the show, you get the impression that the resolution wouldn't have been reached if any one person was left out of the picture. This show isn't about solving crimes as much as it's about working together and realizing that one person can't accomplish very much alone. True, the dialog can be a little forced at times, but everything else in the show is so enjoyable, any weaknesses in the writing are forgivable. This is a show the whole family can watch comfortably.
57 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining and fun, but... fake.
Sine Pi19 November 2006
So far all the possible highlights of the show have been commented on multiple times, therefore I'll not cover them again. Instead, I feel I have to emphasize a hard-to-swallow problem with this show: far-fetchedness.

Come on. If the main point of the show is to show maths as a new, fresh, interesting manner of approaching crime-solving - why did it have to insult mathematicians? As much as most "hacker movies" tend to send any even moderately computer-savvy person rolling on the floor laughing (visual programs operated using long sequences of keystrokes instead of a mouse, typing "OVERRIDE" to override a password, hacking depicted as a sequence of random digits accepted one-by-one, absurd internet address formatting, huge data transfers taking seconds instead of hours, tiny data transfers taking seconds or minutes instead of being almost instant, etc, etc) - this show tries to show mathematicians as "number wizards" while the manner mathematics is depicted is often absurd or intentionally obfuscated. Following the old Latin notion, "quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur", anything said in Latin sounds wise, this show has characters often speak out long wise-sounding sequences of mathematical lingo meaning nothing at all. This is not a direct quote, but think along the lines of "Let's try to use a stochastic algorithm to split the data into discrete subsets, which we will analyze using a probabilistic equation to determine the likelihood of occurrence of the data in the original set", hearing which another character makes a wise nod and everything is clear... Except that what was just said is little more than "we'll try to see if the data appeared in itself", which is plainly silly.

There is a quote of another kind in the quotes list for this show, as I see now (just follow the Memorable Quotes link and search for "Heisenberg"). One character explains the whole Heisenberg electron-locating theory... only to brilliantly point out to the other, that if he was seen by the criminals, they might act upon it - take retaliatory actions or extra effort to conceal their tracks. How something so obvious needed getting poor ol' Heisenberg involved is beyond me.

As much as the CSI series is sometimes criticised for distorting the accuracy of the forensic analysis process, but most of the time keeps it believable even if slightly exaggerated, Numb3rs presents methods either absurdly effective (resulting in perfect guesses using almost no data at all) or involving huge amounts of calculation where the answer is in plain sight requiring a kindergarten-level of deduction.

In other words - watch it if you're treating it lightly and don't try to believe it.
86 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally, something on television that makes you THINK!
mitra_marshall27 July 2005
With all the reality shows and formulaic sitcoms and extreme violence (including gore) on television nowadays I have to say finding this little gem was indeed refreshing and proves that there are still creative spirits out in the world of TV conceptual development and developing interesting scripts. The eloquence of Math and it's relation to practically everything we encounter in our everyday, mundane lives is depicted in layman's terms through what most of us non-academic types need - visual clues - in other words "acting". This series, hopefully longer lived than the ones I fall in love with and end up being canceled by the second season, reminds me of a book my husband gave me more than 20 years ago called "Godel, Escher, Bach". The close ties between math, art and music and essentially life! The casting is excellent, Judd Hirsch has always been a favorite, ever since 'Taxi' and 'Dear John'; Rob Morrow is a fine actor whom we haven't seen enough of since the days of 'Northern Exposure' and David Krumholtz is wonderful, as the young genius who sees the world the the not so myopic eyes of a Mathematician, his lack of sarcasm and sweet sense of family love for his Father and Brother are all endearing qualities. Who would have thought, a family oriented show in the guise of a mystery thriller series. Tony and Ridley Scott were no surprise as being integral to setting this show up on the small screen, I just hope it gets fair air time and more advertising so we can enjoy many more episodes to come. By the way, the person who commented against this show being "too Jewish" was right on the mark! This show is not about a Jewish family, it is about a family that functions with love and respect without the presence of a Mother figure and it is about solving crimes using one's head, rather than a weapon straight off. I hope to see more television shows like this soon!
51 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All Star Cast!!
Janine Tesh23 January 2005
All I can say this that three of Hollywood's most under-appreciated actors are in this show. Rob Morrow in a role meant for him has been sadly missing since his Northern Exposure days. Judd Hirsch will always be remembered for Taxi, but I also loved Dear John and love seeing him play the Dad to Jeff Goldblum's character in Independence Day. David Krumholtz is, I believe, the most under-appreciated of actors out there. He has depth and comic vision and compassion that's been sadly lacking in the most recent spate of "new talent." His "I am right" attitude in this show is not presented in an "in your face" way, but in a way that you know that Charlie is completely perplexed when the math doesn't compute. I hope CBS and the viewers will give Numbers a chance to excel. P.S. BRAVO to the HOTTIE that David Krumholtz has evolved into over the last couple of years. I look forward to his evolution onto one of his generations' great actors.
61 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Facts About Mathematical Modeling
After watching a dozen episodes, I decided to give up on this show since it depicts in an unrealistic manner what is mathematical modeling. In the episodes that Charlie would predict the future behavior of individuals using mathematical models, I thought that my profession was being joked about. I am not a mathematician, instead a chemical engineer, but I do work a lot with mathematical models. So I will try to explain to the layman why what is shown is close to "make-believe" of fairy tales.

First, choosing the right model to predict a situation is a demanding task. Charlie Eppes is shown as a genius, but even him would have to spend considerable time researching for a suitable model, specifically for trying to guess what someone will do or where he will be in the near future. Individuals are erratic and haphazard, there is no modeling for them. Isaac Asimov even wrote about that in the 1950's. Even if there were a model for specific kind of individual, it would be a probabilistic (stoichastic) one, meaning it has good chance of making a wrong prediction.

Second, supposing the right model for someone or a situation is found, the model parameters have to be known. These parameters are the constants of the equations, such as the gravity acceleration (9.8 m/s2), and often are not easy to determine. Again, Charlie Eppes would have to be someone beyond genius to know the right parameters for the model he chooses. And after the model and the parameters are chosen, they would have to be tested. Oddly, they are not, and by miracle, they fit exactly the situation that is being predicted.

Third, a very important aspect of modeling is almost always neglected, not only by Numbers, but also by sci-fi movies: the computational effort required for solving these models. Try to make Excel solve a complex model with many equations and variables and one will find doing a Herculean job. Even if Charlie Eppes has the right software to solve his models, he might be stuck with hardware that will be dreadfully slow. And even with the right software/hardware combination, the model solution might well take days to be reached. He solves them immediately! I could use his computer in my research work, I would be very glad.

As a drama, it is far from being the best show. The characters are somewhat stereotyped, but not even remotely funny as those in Big Bang Theory are. The crimes are dull and the way Charlie Eppes solves them sometimes make the FBI look pretty incompetent.

For some layman, the show might work. For others, the way things are handled makes it difficult to swallow!
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Utterly ridiculous
Jay C16 January 2007
The "math" aspect to this is merely a gimmick to try to set this TV show apart from the millions of other cop shows. The only redeeming aspect to this show is Rob Morrow, although his career must have been (undeservedly) waning after Northern Exposure if he signed up for this schlock.

The lame-ness of the "math" aspect to the show is encapsulated in one episode co-starring Lou Diamond Phillips (which just confirms that this show is the last refuge of the damned.) In order to catch a fugitive, the "mathematician" uses some theory about "bubbles". So, he gives this long explanation that, if we have seen the suspect in places A, B and C, then we can use "bubble theory" to calculate where he might be. He does this all on a chalkboard, or maybe with a stick in the dirt (I cant remember).

Anyway, when you look at the finished product, he basically took three spots, and picked a point right in the middle and said "Ok, mathematically, here's where we are most likely to find the fugitive." At which point, one other character points out "Oh, that point also happens to be the cabin where the guy used to live." Is that math? Its not even connect-the-f**k**g-dots!!! This show reminds me of the math major I used to work with in banking who had a mathematical analysis he could do to "support" points that every one else had already agreed on through either less-complex analysis or basic common sense.

It just goes to show -- When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I can't wait til they stick the NUMB3RS team on OSAMA... They'll use calculus, call an airstrike in the middle of the mountains, and hit Osama and not even scratch the five children he uses as human shields... cuz hey... its all about the numbers.

Totally ludicrous TV show.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Numbthreers: Dumb title, decent show
budikavlan7 February 2005
I've liked the show so far, though I can see the Mathematics as a Crime-Solving Tool angle will get old pretty quick. I don't necessarily think that will be a crippling problem for this show, however, because it isn't a flat-out procedural like the CSIs are. It's really a more old-fashioned show than that, more like some of the dramas from the 70s and 80s. If Numbthreers were really another CSI clone, we wouldn't have all the back story about Charley and Don's mother's death, nor would their father be a regular character.

I'm particularly liking Krumholtz, who has turned out to be very different from what I would have expected. Most surprisingly of all, he turned out to be CUTE. He was a fairly stereotypically nerdy Jewish boy as a teenager, but the big-eyed, shaggy-haired socially awkward angelic genius role fits him like a glove. In another actor's hands, it would likely be pretty cloying, but Krumholtz underplays it nicely.

Rob Morrow and Judd Hirsch are more typical characters, with more workmanlike performances so far, but the chemistry between the three Eppeses is fine. The other characters will be developing as the show ages, so we'll see how they turn out.

As I said, I suspect they will have to leave aside the specific formula they've laid out for the show so far, because even if they manage to come up with dozens of plots which hinge on some permutation of mathematics, the theme is certain to quickly grow repetitive and even self-parodying before too long. Since they have supplied interesting characters, though, change-of-pace plots should be just as watchable as the ones done up to now.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Insulting to those who actually understand math
ioanaspam3 October 2012
I was so happy to find a show which blends my two favorite past times: watching investigative shows and doing mathematics. There is so much potential to the idea, especially as mathematicians are CRUCIAL to national security and agencies such as the NSA and CIA/FBI for their analyses, especially involving cryptography, cyber crimes, and modeling and sim of terrorist/hostage/other dangerous situations.

This show, however, makes a MOCKERY of mathematics, and thus gets a "1" from this reviewer. Basically some Hollywood director who clearly did not hire one mathematician for his staff to advise him, just makes up some random equations using as many variables and mathematical symbols as they can and peppers the show with cool sound effects as the equations float by in the background or are written on a chalkboard by the main character, usually shown in a stereotypical "genius" daze of not paying attention to anything but math.

Other than the insult this show brings to all people who understand math, even more insulting is that it gives a sense of patently false understanding to those who never felt like they "got" math before.

As for the acting, character development, etc, the premise of this show is so preposterous that for me, it overrides everything else. The actors may be good, the writing may be solid, but I can't even tell, I am too distracted by the mockery that is made out of my main passion and its misapplication.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Numb3rs review
Michelle Giorgi24 January 2015
Last year in algebra I our teacher had us watch Season 1 episode 5 of Numb3rs. I found it so interesting, so I decided to start watching the series on Netflix and I'm glad I did. this show will always be one of my favorites. it makes math seem interesting! it was never one of my best subjects. Numb3rs is one of those shows that can be confusing, gets you to think, but also carries an important message with some comical and heartfelt scenarios. The characters, cast members, and story lines of this show are all so genuine. I just finished the series as of yesterday and the finale was so sweet. I'm extremely happy to have watched Numb3rs and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fresh new series.
mom123425 January 2005
OK, so we've seen the Numb3rs promos on television and we await the premiere. I've been so skeptical seeing the end product of hype and commercialism that Numb3rs is a breath of fresh air. It's a brilliant series about a mathematician who solves crimes using long equations and logic. David Krumholtz does a brilliant job of portraying Charlie Epps a Mathematical wizard of epic proportions. Pairing him up with Judd Hirsch and Rob Morrow was just pure genius. They have a chemistry that will take this show far. Krumholtz gives this character a level of eccentricity that rivals that of John Nash in A Beautiful Mind. Then in the series we see shots of him staring at a sprinkler and seeing the equations of where the drops are going to land in his mind. It's fascinating to watch as the plot develops as we probe deeper and deeper into his thought process.I was expecting to see yet another CSI or SVU crime drama but this was not the case. The family interactions in the series are well placed giving a feeling of normalcy in an otherwise stressful situation. absolutely loved the pilot and am looking forward to seeing where this goes. If all the episodes are as interesting as the pilot it's going to be a hit.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Numb3rs a new, CLEVER and Entertaining New Crime show!!!
bcpmd20 January 2006
My name is Brian and I am a physician.One thing I never liked in school was math. I could not see the importance of it past the basics.Namely calculus and other higher math required in premed.I wished Numb3rs would have been on when I was in school.It makes me see how math applications make sense.And the use is important.But back to the show and we need to realize it is a show and I too was stunned by others comment that this show was too Jewish. I am Irish catholic and did not notice that anyone was any particular race, extraction. I looked at the show as a positive role model for our current student to possibly find an interest in wanting to do better in mathematics!Lets face it, most countries feel our present students are not up to snuff compared to other countries.I feel Numb3rs is unique, original not a clone of 2 or more other shows with the same name but occurring indifferent cities.Please tell your friends to give it a "shot".Usually shows this different bring up controversy and opinions.That in itself is a positive statement. In closing I guess I was colored blind because I just saw several great actors doing their job wonderfully. Thanks for your time. BCPMD from Northern California.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An intelligent yet easy-to-follow show!
ViveLaNeige30 September 2005
"Numb3rs" is an excellent show, even for those (like me) who aren't big fans of advanced math. It's also a uniquely-paced crime show, as it's not a Bruckheimer production. This makes it a refreshing change.

Two brothers who are very different but care about each other a great deal work together in a surprising way: Don is an FBI agent, and Charlie (David Krumholtz) is a genius mathematician. They combine their talents to solve FBI cases, with Don receiving aid from formulas that Charlie comes up with to help predict a criminal's next move, or calculate the area in danger from an attack, etc. Many times the math terms Charlie uses are completely unfamiliar to non-math people, but that doesn't end up mattering too much, as he always explains his formulas and ideas to those who aren't as smart as him (such as his brother and the other FBI agents!). All the main cast are excellent actors, and the stories are interesting and varied every week. Not just another crime drama!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Numb3rs
IggyMcSnurd7 November 2005
I love this show...

(And, as a quick side note to: Author: budikavlan from Irving, TX... The show is pronounced "Numbers" the 3 is inspired by the "leetspeek" substitution of numbers for letters... They do that in the actor and character names in the title sequence as well. And it puts a number in the title as well. Very appropriate, really, and I like the idea.) Anyhow, on to the show itself.

I find it to be an incredibly creative premise, and they manage to keep the ideas interesting each episode. The fact that they show how Charly gets some of his inspirations from everyday things, or puts complex concepts into terms that almost anyone can understand says a lot for the potential of this show, which it has fulfilled thus far.

I also enjoy that, unlike a good number of crime dramas, you learn a lot more about the central characters, their backgrounds, and their lives away from work as more than just asides. it makes the characters a lot more three dimensional. Even the supporting characters in the show (outside of the Epps family themselves) have personalities and depth to them. This is wonderfully exhibited in the character of Dr. Larry Fleinhardt (Peter MacNicol), who sometimes helps Charly with his cases, and sometimes just stops by to bounce some of his philosophical musings off his friend. (Also showing that if you scratch the surface of any scientist, you will find a philosopher.)

One of the things Ialso credit the show with is being able to give a sense of the crimes and show what happens, without having to get graphic about it. When they do show blood, it's not overdone, and it's kept to a reasonable level, but you can still feel that something seriously wrong has happened. You won't get decomposing bodies dumped out of barrels, cooked bodies found in car trunks, dismembered body parts graphically shown, and such. In other words, unlike CSI, they won't need to continually top themselves on the "gross out" factor.

To sum it up in four words: I love this show.

IMS
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Math is cool!
bassgirl0624 February 2006
As a senior in high school, I've taken every math offered at my school. I've taken Algebra I and II, Geometry, Trigonometry, Precalculus, and I am currently taking calculus. Honestly, I have hated math ever since first grade. Since I started calculus in January, I have dreaded sixth period and the horrors and pain it seems to bring.

I started watching "Numb3rs" a couple of weeks ago. I had heard from some of my teenage friends that it was a good show, and I wanted to check it out. I was so surprised to see a hot guy who was good at math and was helping catch criminals! I had never thought that the math I hated could be used like that.

Teachers have always told me that math has an application in the real world, but honestly, I didn't believe them- until now. I don't dread calculus anymore. In fact, I go into sixth period every day wanting to learn more about what is now a fascinating subject.

Thank you, Numb3rs, for getting me interested in math. And thank you for a great, even educational, show that every kid should watch. Math is so cool now!!!!
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great series
jcp42810 September 2012
A series about violent crime that doesn't glorify violence in any way...a show where each episode involves guns and knives, but isn't about them, doesn't focus on them, and even though the graphic violent crimes are shown in action and in photographs isn't out to shock you.

A genius approach to modern television that offends as few people as is possible while managing to attract the largest audience...bravo. I've seen the entire six seasons several times and though i miss the characters i see why it had to end...they were running out of viable scenarios where math and science would be both understandable to the audience, and without rehashing old episode tragedies.

I am jealous of those who haven't seen any of these shows, i would love to see the entire six seasons for the first time, again...
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fascinating show that uses math to solve crimes!
gazebo25 April 2006
Okay. I lied. I don't watch the show because I was fascinated by how math is used to solve crimes, I watch because I found out Rob Morrow was on the show. I still remember Rob Morrow fondly as Dr. Joel Fleishmann from "Northern Exposure". I haven't seen any other work with Morrow so I wanted to see how he was in "Numb3rs".

Well, I was surprised at how much I like the show! I was a little scared of the math thing, thinking it's too difficult to understand. I was right, sometimes the math is too complicated to understand, but it's not extremely central to the show. The show is basically about an FBI agent, Don Eppes, who has a brother, Charlie Eppes, who is a brilliant mathematician, a child genius now all grown up. Don and Charlie solves crimes together, but it's not just that, the show talks about how the brothers and their father relate to each other.

This show would not work if the main characters were not so appealing. Plus, Rob Morrow and David Krumholtz are such gorgeous men! If only all FBI agents and mathematic geniuses looks like that! The acting is very, very good. The plots are interesting even if they get a bit convoluted. There is a nice balance of action and intellect as we watch how the FBI solves crimes.

My only complaint is that I want the show to get more into the history and characters of the Eppes family. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of that soon.

I recommend the show highly. Don't let math scare you off from watching this show. I'm so glad I'm into "Numb3rs" now!
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I think I am done with NUMB3RS
rick-99115 December 2007
***Comments contain spoilers*** I was barely holding on to this show as appointment TV when they started the annoying music under EVERY SCENE, when Don Epps was averaging almost a shooting per case, when the very nasally Diane Farr was obviously pregnant (but we weren't to notice) and when Colby was a f*****g TRIPLE agent. But now, in tonight's episode,David is trapped with a paranoid, nut job who is an OBVIOUS amateur with a gun, in an elevator and....HE CAN'T DISARM HIM. A trained, experienced field agent who has been 1st through the door many times and is experienced in hand-to-hand fighting, CAN'T TAKE OUT A NUT JOB. Not when said nut job blinks, looks away, drops his head, closes his eyes; not even when he looks up at the fiber optic wire wriggling around the ceiling like a stripper on a pole for 20 seconds.

Then the scene came that let me know that as much as I enjoy learning from the chubby, frumpish but very charming Charles Epps and his sexy sidekick/love interest Amita, my Friday nights will be better spent otherwise engaged. Don gives David the "distress word" that is the code for "The s**t is about to go down"; David is ready, they kill the lights, drop the elevator, startle the nut job and......

David CANNOT DISARM/KILL/BEAT INTO SUBMISSION THE NUT JOB. The bad guy ends up with BOTH GUNS, David ends up SHOT.

I'm done. Hope the NUMB3RS are fun.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Educational, mind opening, relevant to life
Jonathan Haber4 November 2014
Excellent Show.

I seek education that will stretch my mind to look at life in new ways, and stretch my capacity to experience my own humanity through being present to relationships that seem and feel real and authentic.

This show hits the mark in a novel way. After watching it for a while, I have actually learned to engage very complex statistical analysis in my own life in ways that are very, very meaningful to me in making decisions and comparing potential pathways to move forth into the world.

I highly recommend it, and am considering mapping out how to apply what you learn watching this show to your own life if some of you request this. Let me know on my blog at HTTP://integralinquiryx.wordpress.com

Jonathan
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Patronising and ultimately annoying
petra-5910 July 2006
I suppose the idea of using a mathematician to help solve crimes using his expertise does sound interesting. And for one series – not too bad. But frankly I have had enough of the patronising that goes on. Rubbish masquerading as science eventually gets boring and stupid. Blackboards get filled with meaningless twaddle. It's all designed to make us, the viewers, feel stupid. You can make a series where we don't really understand what is going on. "House" is a good example. I don't comprehend the medical jargon, but the characters are good and the main actors fine, so it works. "Numb3rs" (isn't that a cute name?) is just irritating. All the crimes could be solved by normal police work. In fact the mathematics gets in the way of an occasionally good story. So here's a simple mathematical problem in probability. How much can the average viewer stand before the off switch is found on the TV set?
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this