P.S. I Love You (2007) Poster

A very relevant movie for me
alan_oneill8130 December 2007
As a husband who has a wife battling for her life with recurrent ovarian cancer, this movie struck very close to home. We a both in our late 20's and I am facing the possibility of burying my wife far to young, so suffice to say we both went to the movie and had a hard time keeping the eyes dry. There is nothing worse then prospect or actuality of burying your lover and your friend. I know this movie got a lot of negative reviews but when you see your life mirrored on the big screen you can't help but be moved by her struggle to move on and his undying love for her. I see another reviewer said to keep the boyfriends/husbands home, these people obviously have not faced such tragic circumstances. Usually I'd be the first to tear apart a click flick, but this didn't feel as cliché as most and I liked how the ending wasn't as predictable as click flick movies usually are.
331 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Helping Lost People Finding Where Their Hearts Are
People change in time, relationships change in time; Love doesn't. A man expresses his feelings of his love to his wife, through several shocking surprises after his death. This movie would tell why love is the only power that connects people, if no one could tell anymore what it really means. Gerry and Holly's relationship is a good example of how couples bring their love to the end quickly.

Leading actors Swank and Butler accomplished wholeheartedly acting jobs. A true success with Harry Connick Jr.'s role playing Holly's first flirt, but poor acting from Jeffrey Dean Morgan(whom we'll see him in "Watchmen" next year) playing as her second. As a novel adaptation, the screenplay is effectual. Some parts of the script is totally noticeable that hold our attention continuously. I liked the editing job very well after I've seen the deleted scenes from the special features of the DVD. The music score is so relaxing and emotional. Everybody keeps telling this film is a tearjerker, which I disagree; it's only because of the sensational existence of Hilary Swank. Her talented way of expressing psychological trauma just catches eyes, that's all.

There are 5 of my favorite scenes which I rewind each time I watch: 1*One of the greatest opening scenes for a romance of all time. In that scene just in 2 minutes, we get what type of personalities each character has. Lovers find a quarrel over a straw. They yell at each other, and Gerry leaves Holly getting out of the door. A minute passes or not, Holly comes back from bathroom and Gerry back from the door. Then they wildly lock in a close embrace after running towards to each other into the middle of the living room... 2*After the funeral of Gerry, at a time when Holly's longing of him hits the top, she can't help herself calling the home-phone from her cellphone just to listen to Gerry's voice from his answering machine record; while trying to sleep... 3*Holly's receiving of Gerry's first P.S.I Love You letter and his true guesses of what Holly is going to say in respond after his each time of gaffes... 4*Gerry's calling to memory of their first meeting in Ireland, from his words... 5*And best of all, my best favorite scene: Holly's return to karaoke stage singing "Love You Till The End" and imagining as if he is there forming a lonesome audience. This scene is the one I burst into tears. I don't remember myself crying because of a movie, or because of someone else's sadness ever; including the end of Dr.Zhivago or Love Story or The English Patient. Yet it just reminded me of a photo of my fiancée with whom we were parted away. In that photo she was standing on a step of an amphitheater watching my mockery of a stand-up show at the stage, forming the whole audience herself.

This is a therapeutic relationship movie. Watch it with your partner and you'll be able to see the missing, lacking or the incomplete part of your unity. Strongly recommended for couples who used to be in love before. Find out why love is eternal.
53 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Total tearjerker falsely billed as a romantic comedy
segacs26 January 2008
I saw this movie on a girls-night-out to the movies, and we chose it on the basis of the previews, which had billed it as a romantic comedy. Wow, were they ever wrong! The basic plot is this: Woman loses husband far too early and tragically. Woman grieves for husband, hard. Husband, through a plan pre-arranged before his death, sends woman letters at set intervals, each one causing a fresh stream of tears to fall.

The acting was great. Hillary Swank was particularly good in her role, and let us see her vulnerability and conflicting emotions. The supporting cast was all excellent, and ladies, there is more than enough male eye candy in this movie to go around.

But - and I strongly warn all of you considering this as a light comedy or a date movie - it's sad. Very very sad. Even the happy parts are sad. If you go see this, wear waterproof mascara and bring lots of tissues. Don't say I didn't warn you.
131 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P.S. Move On
Jon Ochiai26 December 2007
In a poignant scene Gerald Butler's spirit of Gerry confesses to Hilary Swank's Holly, "I'm not asking you to remember me…" and to move on. Although being a little too long, Writer and Director Richard LaGravenese's "P.S. I Love You" is a whimsical and surprisingly touching romantic comedy about life continuing forward. Swank and LaGravenese have collaborated before on "Freedom Writers" as evidenced in the movie's comfortable and sturdy feel. Hilary Swank is great in this romantic comedy, an edgy departure for the actor. Swank thrives--she never forces the humor, completely natural. She embodies a humanity and spirit in Holly that makes her vulnerable and funny in the story's context. Gerald Bulter is boldly charming as Holly's late husband Gerry, the Irishman full of life and dreams. Swank and Butler have a wondrous chemistry that smooths out the rougher edges of LaGravenese and Steve Rogers screenplay based on the novel by Wendy Finerman.

Even with its over wrought indulgences, "P.S. I Love You" rewards the narrative payoff. Wisely on the part of LaGravenese and Rogers, the catharsis opts for the lyrical and realm of possibility. The performances are stellar. Academy Award Winner Kathy Bates is awesome as Holly's mother Patricia. Seeing fellow Oscar Winner Swank and Bates together is truly something special. There is a heartbreaking scene where Swank's Holly breaks down to her mother saying, "I'm alone!" Later Bates's Patrica says to her daughter, "…If you're all alone, we're all together with you in that, too." So even with its intentional quirks and cheesy trappings-- all is forgiven, because ultimately "P.S. I Love You" is about the courage to love again and live life.

As "P.S" opens Holly is furious that Gerry told her mother at dinner that they are not planning on having kids right now. Although accurate, Holly is still livid. Holly laments that she is waiting for her life to start. Gerry reminds, "We are in life…" Transparent to us: Gerry and Holly are soul mates—the great love of each other's life. Fast forward several months, Gerry has died of a brain tumor. After the wake, Holly discovers that Gerry has arranged for the delivery of his letters all making requests of Holly. Unable or perhaps unwilling to move on after her loss, this may not be the best thing for Holly. Or is it a way for Holly to discover life anew?

Much of the movie's charm derives from Holly's trip to Gerry's Irish homeland, and her loyal friends. Lisa Kudrow plays Denise, Holly's gal pal who is crassly determined to hunt down a single, straight, and employed man—a crusade seemingly more difficult than it seems. Kudrow is at her scattered and hysterical best. Hot and sexy Gina Gershon plays other gal pal Sharon. Gershon is deceivingly strong and smart with the apparently vapid Sharon, who really possesses a depth of character. In a surprising moment in what initially feels like a frivolously long fishing scene with all three women, reminds Holly that her friends are moving on with their lives. Holly's trip to Ireland is a beautiful interlude that represents an eloquent return to the traditional and solid. Here LaGravenese brilliantly orchestrates his story of love everlasting and regret. Hilary Swank amazingly balances the suffering and resolute spirit in Holly. She too is brilliant and absolutely beautiful. Her smile just lights up your soul, and her anguish strikes an emotional chord. Gerald Butler is at his charismatic best. Butler also expertly tempers his charm with a touching and gentle compassion.

"P.S. I Love You" is one of the best romantic comedies in a long while, that has a great love story. Richard LaGravenese tells a wistful and touching tale with amazing performances and chemistry by Hilary Swank and Gerald Butler. Take a chance on "P.S. I Love You".
183 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An overall enjoyable chick flick and good date movie
(Synopsis) Holly (Hilary Swank) has been married nine years to a wild Irishman, Gerry Kennedy (Gerard Butler), and her one true love. Unfortunately for Holly, Gerry is diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. Knowing he only has a short time to live; Gerry writes Holly a series of letters that will guide her through her grief. The first message arrives on Holly's 30th birthday. Gerry has sent her a birthday cake and a tape recording explaining the letters that she will be getting in the mail. Over the next year, Gerry wants Holly to follow the orders in his letters by going on new adventures and to celebrate life by finding herself. Holly's best friends, Denise (Lisa Kudrow) and Sharon (Gina Gershon), accompany her on her journey. Gerry always signs off each letter with "P.S. I Love You."

(My Comment) This is definitely a chick flick that will not only make you cry, but make you laugh, plus the women will fall in love with Gerard Butler. Gerard was excellent in his part and Hilary did a fine job as well. At first I didn't think Hilary could pull off the romantic comedy role, but in the end you get use to her doing it. Hilary actually makes you feel her pain and how devastated she was when her husband died. I guarantee you that you will tear up during several scenes. Overall it was an enjoyable chick flick that you can take a date. (Warner Bros. Pictures, Run Time 2:06, Rated PG-13) (7/10)
91 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved PS I Love You!!!
momdeafmd2 December 2007
I was lucky enough to get advance screening tickets to go see this movie. I loved it! It is very funny and very romantic. It stars Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler (that gorgeous hunk of man who starred in 300, if you haven't seen it--go rent it).

At the start of the movie, Holly (Hilary Swank) and Gerry Kennedy (Gerard Butler) are married and they are having a marital spat, which, trust me, is hilarious. Let's just say they end the fight with him doing a very funny striptease. In the next scene, we find that he has died. Holly is so bereaved she is unable to function but soon letters start arriving--from Gerry. He spaces the letters about a month apart and in each letter he teaches Holly how to get on with the business of living.

Her ensuing adventures with best friends, Lisa Kudrow and Lisa Gershon are hilarious. Along the way, she meets Harry Connick, Jr. and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (who played Denny in Grey's Anatomy). The supporting cast is wonderful (especially the hilarious Lisa Kudrow). The movie is very funny, much more funny than sad. And Gerard Butler is quite terrific in it (and I am not just saying that because I am a fan). He is romantic, sexy, and just plain sweet. The striptease scene alone is worth the price of admission. I never laughed so hard.

Hilary Swank is very, very good. She and Gerry have really great chemistry. In the scenes they have together, you totally see how much in love they are with each other and why Holly is so bereaved when he dies. Although the movie does stray from the book at times, in my opinion it's an improvement. For example, Gerard Butler is not only in the first 10 minutes or so of the movie, but he is also in it quite a bit through flashbacks and such. Plus you get to hear him sing (which he has not done in a movie since "The Phantom of the Opera").

So if you get a chance this holiday season, go see this wonderful romantic, funny movie. You will love it! Amy V.
78 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Movie, Must See Romantic Comedy.
AbadKitty26 December 2007
My most favorite romantic chick flick the last two years!! What makes this movie so great is if you have no expectation. Because of reviews and not thinking Hilary Swank could pull off romantic made this movie shine. She pulls it off and the movie is way better than the reviews. Tear Jerker! The shining happy moments are definitely the comedy relief Harry Connick Jr. brings. He is good in this movie... sexy... charming and hilarious. This movie has a great ending and just is so beautiful. I read half the book and wow, the movie makes the book look bad. The movie is better than the book!

Now I love seeing girly movies, mostly they have disappointed me or been just okay. This one was better than all the rest.
137 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Boring in a nutshell
NikkiBay813 November 2010
I've felt the need to write the first movie review on my profile. If no news is good news, I have a lot of news. It started with some lame, god-awful song. The opening scene went from the characters, Holly and Gery, played by Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler (who had absolutely no chemistry at all), fighting to having sex. The second scene? Gery's funeral. What?! Oh right, a brain tumor, I guess...

Because you weren't able to get to know Gery as a character, you weren't able to feel any emotion when he died. Then the whole movie focused around some letters he wrote before he died. He arranged them to be sent to Holly after he had passed. One told her to dress in a dreadful disco dress and sing some boring karaoke song at the bar all while being tone deaf. I didn't really understand the point of this.

Did I mention the acting? Gag me. Remember when Sandra Bullock got an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year? Hilary Swank should have received a Razzie for this acting. Her acting in this movie was unemotional and very lacking. I'm talking about crying with a scrunched up face and no tears. Near the end when she buries her face into her mom's shoulder is when she didn't even have any tears. The comedy was a big fail. Holly and her two friends were on a boat. Their oars fell into the water and were FIVE FEET from the boat, so what did they do? Started screaming for help in the middle of the deserted lake and let the oars float away.

I kept waiting for a laugh, kept waiting for something big to happen, kept waiting to be touched... Nothing. Don't waste 2 hours of your life on this movie.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome chick flick
KaceFace00021 December 2007
I am so glad I went against the many negative reviews of this movie... because it was fantastic! It has stuck with me in the several hours since I've seen it. Claims that Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler have no chemistry just are not true- the characters are different, and they clash at times, but this shouldn't be misconstrued. One can definitely see the love they have for each other, though the ways they express it are very different. Never has a movie pushed me to the brink of tears so many times! Sure, in Titanic we all (or was it just me...?) cried when we realized Leo's character had died, but P.S. I Love You brings that feeling several times over. It is so relatable- how would we act if we were completely grief-stricken with nothing to comfort us? I love this movie- both my friend that saw it with me and myself fully intend on buying it on DVD when it is released. Highly recommended. Don't forget Kleenex! *Kudos to Kudrow who is freaking hilarious!*
55 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P.S. = Pleasant Surprise
Chrysanthepop20 March 2008
Generally speaking, I dislike the romantic American tearjerker dramas especially films like 'Titanic'. So i tend to avoid them. A few that I have liked include 'Far and Away' and 'The English Patient' (which was much more than the average movie of this genre). What interested me about 'P.S. I Love You' was the interesting ensemble cast. Now that I have watched the film, I must say that it came as a pleasant surprise.

I found it very fresh: the cast which brings together talents like Lisa Kudrow, Kathy Bates and Hilary Swank; the idea of shooting in Ireland was very refreshing and the beautiful locations were so wonderfully shot that it just makes one want to visit the beautiful country; the screenplay, yes it is flawed as there are a few corny moments and some of the situations are a little too convenient but most of the dialogues are great, the comedic undertone is mostly welcoming and not misplaced, the ending is different from what one would expect; the soundtrack which adds more life into the moments.

It's ironic that just the other day I watched 'Reign Over Me' which also dealt with 'grieving over' lost loved ones. Both films were totally different but it was interesting to see how the central character of both films deal, or more correctly, fail to cope with their losses in different ways. Both the writer and director LaGravenese put a lot of heart into 'P.S. I Love You' and the film is strengthened by the chemistry of the actors.

Both Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler are excellent. The chemistry between them is electric. Swank gracefully shows Holly's transition from the whiny but loving working wife to the lonely widow. In a flashback scenes we see her brilliantly pull off the naive teenager. It's no surprise that the woman can act. Butler is terrific as the charming, lively and funny Gerry but his grasp of the Irish accent is disastrous. Lisa Kudrow provides comic relief. The actress gives a natural performance with shades of her famous Phoebe Buffay character (which I didn't mind as I miss Phoebe) but I wish she was given more screen time. Even Gina Gershon springs a surprise with a decent performance. Kathy Bates's acting is beautifully restrained. Harry Connick Jr. too adds some comedy (which might not appeal to all).

'P.S. I Love You' makes for a good rainy day film. It might not appeal to all as there are a few fluffy corny moments but the film does make its point well and for me it was worth a watch.
60 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P.S. I Love You...Till the End, worth every penny
cajonchik15 December 2007
Okey ladies i went to see P.S. I Love You last night with a girl friend now that we are both back in the OC for winter break. I have to say this movie is all i hoped it would be and more. I sobbed for a whole 2 hours, not kidding. It was sad yet uplifting and made me really think about life.

I'm 19 and a freshman in college, i went to an all girl's catholic high school. So personally this movie really hit home, and made me think "What if i don't ever find my Gerry?" I mean I'm 19 and I've never been kissed or been on a date. It just got me thinking about the fact that life is short and i want to be happy. I want my Gerry (obviously he doesn't have too be this romantic) but someone to love me with their whole heart as Gerry loved Holly. It also gave me some hope, maybe there is a Gerry out there for everyone. My friend and i went to chili's for dinner after and i pretty much cried through dinner but like i said this movie really hit me.

It was absolutely perfect and even the scenes that our Gerry wasn't in, his presence could be seen and felt every step of the way. All i can say is that GB has moved me in a way i never thought possible with a movie. I think this one has actually changed my life for the better or at least pushed me in the right direction.

Even after seeing JDM nekkid bum i must say our man still wins my heart. His voice is so amazing, and many times that all there was in a scene, just his voice yet it had me busting out into tears every time. I am still letting this amazing experience sink in but all i can say is, if i ever could say one thing to our Gerry, it would be that, he has truly made me love my life and hope that the love of my life is out there somewhere.

Oh, and Gerry's singing is amazing too, as are all his witty remarks and comments.... i can still hear his voice in my head! Erinne P.S. I Love You.... Till The End
53 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
worst I have seen for a long time
kertschy29 March 2011
A real good book turned into a really bad movie. I have no words for the badness of this film. Swank is only giving a big horse smile, Butler is so pathetic showing his affection. It is just sooo bad, it made me cringe. I only endured it to the end as I hoped this whole thing would at least have a good ending. But no - even that is non-committal and empty. Good Lord - what a waste of time and money. One of the rare films that leaves me embarrassed watching.

What were they thinking when producing this lot? The story is incoherent, plain, boring. The tears are false, the affection over-enthusiastic.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heartwrenching and hilarious
DeadliestSin13 December 2007
I am often disappointed when I go to see a movie, and all the good parts that were shown in the trailer- were the ONLY good parts in the movie. This film, however, managed to live up to the trailer and many of the best moments of the film were left out of the trailer and for good reason, as to not ruin the surprises.

I found Hillary Swank's character, Holly, to be believable in her grief and her inability to function after loosing the man she had been married to for 11 years to a brain tumor. I recently lost my mother to a brain tumor as well. I was able to empathize with her character in the feelings of loss and confusion. Through a series of letters her husband, Gerry, wrote prior to his death, Holly attempts to pick up her life and learn how to go on living without her husband. The movie is filled with flashbacks that show the viewer the type of life this couple had, coupled with moments in which Holly believes her husband to be 'there' with her. I cannot go without mentioning the great performance by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plans an Irishman that Holly meets while on a trip back to her late husbands hometown. He's pretty nice to look at too. Overall, wonderful performances by both Gerard Butler and Jeffery Dean Morgan. Hillary Swank managed to carry the story well, in a genre she usually does not venture into, but has done well in film.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P.P.S. It's god-awful...
bob_bear30 January 2011
If they were out to make a bittersweet rom-com in the style of Richard Curtis then the producers succeeded. This film is just as vapid, insincere, superficial, unfunny and as lacking in genuine sentiment as anything Curtis ever produced.

Holly, the shrew, falls for cartoon Irish romeo, Gerry, and persuades him (one imagines)to move to America where they marry. They live in a dump and he works as a limo driver while she can't hold down a job because of her ever present attitude problem. Oh, and then he dies of a brain tumor.

Cue the ever present soundtrack of mawkish folk-rock ditties that intrude at every opportunity. On the rare occasions they stop intruding we get the cheesy Celtic pipes tweeting away in their place. Whoever put this soundtrack together needs to be shot.

Despite the fact that Holly has no discernible income, she takes herself over to a Disney version of Ireland and by random chance ends up in bed with Gerry's childhood best friend who she apparently had never heard of. In the afterglow of their rumpy-pumpy he charms her with boyhood tales of his friendship with her dead husband --as one would.

Skipping over the rest of this garbage, the film's resolution again sees the penniless Holly take her mother to Ireland to "hear her laugh once more". Pass the sick bucket.

Just for once, it would have been nice to see a film that moved me because it was sincere.

Okay, if you loved Mama Mia and Love Actually you'll probably love this. If you didn't, you have been warned!!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You've got to be joking
Letizia Ortiz6 March 2010
I'm watching this now and I had to look see if I'm the only person in the world who thinks that this is probably the worst movie in the world. Irish accents - terrible. Irish ring tones on phones - no way! Chemistry between Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler, non-existent. Storyline - a shambles. I've watched an hour because I thought that it would get better but it's getting worse. As far Harry Connick Jnr. oh dear. It's trying to be cute and meaningful all at once but it's neither. A good movie about a dead husband (what a sentence !!) Ghost. That has real emotion even if it also has Demi Moore. OK, have decided, can't watch anymore.

The idea is great. The execution is woeful.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Terrible, boring and just plain weird
traceymorgan2 June 2008
I typically don't write reviews of movies, but I just felt the need to warn people how awful this movie was. I like Hillary Swank but she was the complete wrong character to be cast in this movie. I just thought all of the plot lines were just way too unbelievable. I did not think Lisa Kudrow was cast well in this movie, nor was Harry Connick, Jr. Not even sure why that character was inserted into the movie. There was nothing funny or even sad about this movie. It left me emotionless. The love pursuit by Gerry was just so cheesy and non believable. I also cringed every time they did one of those cheesy flashback scenes to when Gerry was alive. I also thought seeing his friend sleep with Hillary and tell stories about Gerry when he was alive to be kind of morbid.

I want two hours back of my life for watching this movie. I would not recommend this movie.
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a Shame!
India Naylor Bethell31 January 2008
I read the book last year and was really impressed. Ahern really got the characters and the emotions related to grief, spot on. It was funny, touching and very sad.

Even though I was a big fan of the book, I had reservations about the film, it looked too "hollywood" and to be honest trying to convert a very poignant story into a glossy romcom was never going to work.

so the film... it seemed to lack any real emotion, all the scenes of holly grieving was glossed over. Her friends and family did not appear very sympathetic. Also I couldn't understand why the film did not show Jerry actually being ill or dying, the film jumped from Jerry and Holly bickering, to his funeral which didn't make sense.

Other major irritations of the film where the shocking "Irish" accents, though this did cause much (and the main) amusement for me and my friend (who happens to be part Irish), which leads me to my next point.why were all the "Irish" characters so stereotyped? They were always drinking either Guinness or Jameson's, and both of them looked and dressed pretty much identically.

I was also disappointed as I really rate both Gerard Butler (in 300)and Hilary Swank (in Boys don't cry)but their chemistry on screen was non-existent.

So to anyone who is contemplating watching this film, I advise you to spend your money on buying the book instead!
27 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Drama? Romantic Comedy? Who cares? This is the best film EVER!
ayeluvyew5 June 2008
I have never felt compelled to leave a comment about a film until i saw P.S. I Love You. The emotional journey of the story was engulfing and intense. The comical and dramatic aspects of the film were both nurtured and explored deeply. I've never cried and laughed at the same time.

I would absolutely recommend anyone to watch this film. In fact, after watching it with my mom I plan to watch it with my boyfriend!

Lastly, I would recommend that you watch the deleted scenes. The last one (showing the McCarthy couple - Gina Gershon and James Marsters) was truly touching, and I wish it hadn't been cut out of the film.
57 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nine reasons not to watch this movie
f s17 November 2008
1. You are past puberty 2. You value your free time 3. You dislike cheesy lines 4. You have suffered a real loss in life 5. You have a reasonable sense of humor 6. You don't enjoy a predictable story 7. You value your intelligence 8. The movie is wrongly classified as "drama romance", but it is really a romanticized, imaginary, phony, fantastic way that a teen or someone who is completely detached sees an adult life (a science fiction perhaps?). When you watch movies that are described as comedies, you know what to expect. But here, you are mislead into believing that this is grounded in real life. Well, it isn't. 9. You loved Hillary Swank in other movies and want to believe that she can distinguish a quality scenario.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh dear, How embarrassing
patty-10727 January 2008
As an American ex pat, living in the UK for 8 years, this movie was a total embarrassment. Who watches this stuff (in the USA?)? I only watched it because my 12 year old was having a cinema party and THEY wanted to watch it. The acting was atrocious, the story line was probably written by a cheerleader who likes Ireland or something. It was Hollywood at it's worst. Please, if you think you are going to do a film partly about a European country, have some Europeans on board who will advise you how schmaltzy a film can be for the rest of the world (and don't release it over here). The theatre was pretty empty and I can see why. Waste of 6 pounds for me. The main actress was so annoying to watch and look at, those teeth, my goodness.... Only redeeming qualities were the shots of NYC and Ireland and a rather good conversation between the mother and daughter towards the end. It wasn't worth watching for those reasons however.
29 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just a chick flick
KittyGrimm29 December 2007
To be fully honest, I'm not one for what we know as "chick-flicks" because of their tendency to be as predictable as a crystal ball or as cheesy as cheese. However, hearing that Gerard Butler and James Marsters were both in this film together, seeing as I adore both actors for many different reasons, I thought I might be able to stomach it and maybe even have a laugh.

By the end of the film, I found this film to be more than just a "chick-flick"; it was instead a bittersweet story about a young widow, played by the strongly talented Hilary Swank, coping with the death of her husband through letters that he'd written for her teaching her how to live and remember how to be happy with herself. All in all, I'd say it was a great film. It was one of those film that can make you smile, scream, laugh and cry and the writers capture the audiences emotions beautifully.

The writer has clearly gone through the same situation of losing a loved one because if I'm not mistaken, I do recall hearing my grandmother going through the same emotions that Swank's character was going through after her own husband passed away.

The acting in the film is perfectly done. Butler, though he can't hold an Irish accent very well, plays the role of a goofball perfectly, especially in his striptease scene and when he was watching his wife sing a sexy karaoke tune (poor guy was trying to contain himself while covering Marsters' eyes). Swank is also hilarious and in a scene when she's crying in an emotional breakdown, she plays it more realistically than I have ever seen on film.

What is also great about the film is that it rebels against most romantic comedies by practically spoofing typical chick-flick events, which was a great relief to me, since the recycled plots that I see in too many films and books nowadays (*cough*Enchanted*cough*) gets more than just annoying. Out of ten, I will give it a nine because the only problem I had with the film was Butler's accent. Other than that, it was a great film with a well-chosen cast and a well-written script.
56 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
views on book and film ps i love you
annehuetmarie4 June 2008
Please understand, I am commenting on the film and not the book here, the book was fantastic, funny,sad, warm really true to life, Holly had a great family, brothers and a sister who all had different tales to tell, I felt a part of this family, I loved the way they all got together at Christmas and at the barbecue.My favorite part in the book was when the younger brother filmed the girls on a night out and then won a prize!!!!!! The sad part was when Holly's elder brother was made redundant and his wife left him!!! Holly coped with all of these problems and worries as would have been expected of someone in her situation When Gerry went into the travel agents and booked the tickets for Holly and her friends was a very touching scene and I read it over and over How can the author let the film makers do this to her fantastic book how disappointed was I to see the film, there was only one thing in common with the book "Gerry died" and that was all The book was in Ireland, the film was in New York, the family was a warm and comforting one in Irealand, the film had a sister who was hardly present and the mother a sad old cow whose husband had left her NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BOOK Why do you guys buy books and then change them? If the book is a success then do the film as was the book I think that the people who never read the book will probably love the film, I think that the people who read the book and then saw the film will probably hate it Sorry to be so negative, however I am really angry at seeing a great book completely ruined Thanks for listening I feel better now
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
P.leasantly S.weet, I liked it, but it is just good, not great
Amy Adler26 December 2007
Holly (Hillary Swank) has been married for a number of years to handsome Gerry (Gerard Butler), an Irish gentleman. Wed at 19, he is the only love of her life and they have big plans for the future. Sadly, however, Gerry is stricken with cancer and dies, leaving Holly desolate. But, much to her surprise, letters start arriving from Gerry, under unusual circumstances, letters that provide encouragement for Holly to move forward with her life. Gerry suggests that Holly do some karaoke and take a trip to Ireland, where she should learn to fish and visit his relatives. It doesn't' hurt that Holly has two loving friends (Lisa Kudrow and Gina Gershon), a hovering mother (Kathy Bates), and a good-looking new friend (Harry Connick, Jr.) looking out for her, also. But, can Holly truly overcome the serious blow that life has given her? This is a sweet movie but, I must confess, I was a wee bit disappointed. Yes, I loved the basic story and the cast is beyond terrific. Swank is quite nice as the young widow while Butler is greatly engaging as the husband, with many of his scenes told in flashback. In fact, Butler is a new favorite among American women, thanks to Dear Frankie, and let us all hope we see much more of him. Kudrow, Gershon, Bates, Connick Jr., and some of the Irish players are just right, too, breathing more life into a script that is erratic and sometimes contrived. Of course, the sets in Manhattan and Ireland are very wonderful, as are the costumes and great camera work. But, the film could have used more careful direction and editing, in my view. However, all fans of romantic comedy should not miss it, no. As the fountain of romcom films has considerably dried up in the last two years, any new entry is a hearty meal for the starving. Just do not expect another Music and Lyrics this time around.
42 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plank as stiff as a board!
Allan Broad22 November 2008
Now... I know there are some who will love this flick no matter what... but for all those 'real' fella's out there... avoid this film like the plague! Terrible skimmed scenes and accents as Irish as American Pie.

A really good idea that was over-tamed to gain the maximum wet-eye cry at anything brigade to the cinema.

Two hours long... and for what. What we knew would happen from the first ten minutes manifested itself.

Bland at best... Hilary Plank was as stiff as a board... and Kathy Bates is no longer a master of arts.

I have to write ten lines in order to post this review which is typical of this movie... a waste of time, shallow and full of holes. No class!
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this