Commander in Chief (TV Series 2005–2006) Poster

(2005–2006)

Request renewal of program
schmidtrr2 May 2006
We think Commander in Chief is an excellent program and think it should be renewed for next season. Our children should see a positive female role model in a very responsible position. There are not enough show on television that encourage a young girl to further her aspirations.

The plot line is realistic and very true to life, the characters are engaging and very dynamic. We love the strife between Donald Sutherland and Geena Davis. The side plots are also pretty good.

We look forward every week to this show.

Please keep this show on.

Thank you.
44 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Too much of a threat?
ryfjstc4713 February 2006
WHY IN THE WORLD HAS THIS EXCELLENT TV PROGRAM BEEN SHELVED? Pretty good chance it was because of political reasons. This series of stunning presidential decision-making opened a door. Viewers could become more politically astute---could realize there are political alternatives. To some people, this show may seem too idealistic, but it told how things could be done "another way"---with savvy and vision, and a real concern for the people---all people. Spilling blood certainly did not take precedence. '

You have to admit, getting it shelved is one way of inflicting invisible censorship---nothing to do with poor ratings.

I, my whole family, neighbors and much of my community were regular watchers of this show. We finally saw people we could refer to as good role models.

Shelved for six weeks pretty well means a death knell, unless enough people speak up. I've written to ABC, but it will take lots of people.
68 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Commander in Chief - Superb show!
pallison1197113 December 2005
This is one of the best shows of its type I've seen in a long while. The acting is excellent and the casting superior. The show incorporates references to current events which procures and then holds your interest throughout the show while leading you to anticipate the next episode. Although it is similar to both movies and television shows in the past, I find that commander in chief takes a somewhat different approach. The way in which the scenes are portrayed make the viewer feel they are right in the middle of the action. It sets up extremely realistic scenarios and brings them to conclusion. I am tremendously disappointed when substitute shows are placed in its regular time-slot and hope to see this practice subside shortly. If a full season has not yet been shot, I would urge the production company to do so immediately. I believe this series will be one of the most popular yet. I LOVE Commander-in-Chief.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Proof that a Republican can never occupy a Hollywood White House.
Clive-Silas5 April 2006
Here in Britain, abc1, the satellite television offshoot of Disney's ABC network, has been strongly pushing their new US drama success Commander in Chief for over a month. Though intrigued by a new show set in the White House, I couldn't help feeling that the trailers gave the impression that Geena Davis's principal source of conflict was that the Washington establishment was entirely made up of antediluvian chauvinist pigs. In the actual show, fortunately, it seems that the writers have actually worked a little harder than that, and provided sound-ish political reasons for the Vice President to step down just at the point where she might be called upon to step up, and not just the fact that she's a woman.

The style of this drama can perhaps be deduced from the rather implausible political situation depicted. Mackenzie Allen is an Independent (because there have been too many Democrat Presidents in the Hollywood White House, but heaven forbid we ever show a Republican to be heroic, or even a normal human being), but from references by Democrats to her being in a position to "help the Party" seems to indicate that she was a former Democrat, who had rejected party politics and then accepted the role of Veep to a Republican president. In the real world, the problem with allowing Allen to become the Chief Executive would not be that she would be unwilling to further the late President's radical conservative agenda, but that as an evident turncoat she'd be politically dead to both sides, a total pariah. Unlike The West Wing (comparisons are inevitable, I'm afraid) this kind of realpolitik simply doesn't come into the equation in Commander In Chief. But that is no bad thing, I hasten to point out. There is certainly no need for every show set in the White House to wallow in the dregs of real-world American politics at the expense of good character-driven drama. It is no secret that The West Wing has more or less lost its way in its final two seasons, with excessive dwelling on the appalling process of the typical US political campaign, a process likely to leave everybody looking less than a fully rounded moral human being.

Commander in Chief looks at things as more black and white and slightly larger than life, and certainly nobody could be larger than life than Donald Sutherland's Nathan Templeton, chief Nemesis to President Allen, the Republican Speaker of the House and former heir apparent. Sutherland plays one of those villains that almost makes you feel any time without him on screen is time wasted, but this feeling is certainly alleviated by Geena Davis herself as the eponymous C-in-C. One or other of these two is on screen nearly all the time, along with sterling support from the Matrix's Harry Lennix as Chief of Staff Jim Gardner, and Ever Carradine as the interesting new Press Secretary Kelly Ludlow, shown nervously finding her feet in front of the White House Press Corps wolf pack. Exec Producer Davis and creator Rod Lurie have done a great job of writing and casting the political characters, though less good a job with the First Family, who are the absolutely standard "perfect and beautiful family plays second fiddle to main character's career". Kyle Secor's characterisation of husband Rob Calloway (inevitably Ms. Allen kept her surname) fatally undermines his character's position of having been his wife's Chief of Staff when she was Vice President. So far Secor is playing the part as a total Washington naïf, as if he'd been told Rob was an advertising executive with an "interesting" wife, like Darrin Stephens from Bewitched.

It is perhaps a little early in the series run to criticise the plotting for being maybe a little bit too glib and easy. The first episode storyline concerned the rescue of a Nigerian adulteress condemned to stoning under Sharia law, to which the new President's reaction was to prepare military forces for a rescue mission. So far so impossible, but plausibly entertaining and heroic. But then she was shown bringing the Nigerian ambassador right into the Situation Room, and getting the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs to tell him every detail of their plan to invade their country and kidnap one of their citizens. The next thing we saw was the terrified girl (plus baby - right there in the cell with her) being dragged along the prison corridor - presumably to her precipitate execution - as the third act cliffhanger. As it transpired, of course, the Nigerian soldiers were simply handing the girl off to the Marines who had flown in to get her, but that didn't really excuse the script from having set up the impossible situation of any American leader breaking every security protocol there is, instantly demonstrating why such a thing would never happen, and then have the situation resolve inexplicably "happily" with the girl looking down at her forever-lost native land from an American helicopter.

It isn't all glib flagwaving, however. In fact, the pilot episode managed to be very bitingly witty about Hillary Clinton via the tart comments of the PA to the new First, uh, Spouse. On the other hand, it strikes me that concentrating on the youthful indiscretions of the First Family (teenage twins of each sex and a ten-year-old girl) almost made it seem natural that these would only be additional travails of a woman President, which of course is not the case. Scenes of conflict and resolution with the family including an all-too-brief argument with the passed-over for promotion husband, can draw unfortunate parallels with The Geena Davis Show, her recent short-lived sitcom. However, though she is once again playing a high-powered career woman - about as high powered as it is possible to get! - Davis thus far seems to have mercifully reined in the "kook", and is capable of bringing genuine power to the rôle.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wow! I was wrong. . .
Joanna19 January 2006
This is amazing show! I watched it rather reluctantly, expecting not to like it because Geena Davis didn't really strike me as someone who could hack this role.

Nor do I like the idea really of further rallying the Dems for a H. Clinton '08 election.

However, I was pleasantly surprised! The episode was full of suspense and intrigue. Even Geena surprised me when I didn't hate her or the idea of her character. I found her very sympathetic and intelligent.

Definitely worth a viewing!!! If you get a chance, seriously. It is very interesting. You just might find yourself wanting more.
33 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Great Show!
caroldenise20022 October 2005
Commander in Chief: This was a great show! Geena Davis has a foreboding image on screen. She is confident, yet humble; she is healthy, yet not too thin and she looks like she is in control and is superb as the President of the United States.

Meanwhile, there is pressure from the old school boys, and there are games being played with teleprompter and there are loyalties to the dead president that have to be dealt with.

In corporate America, one would quickly be prompted to consult with the Human Resources department about Donald Sutherland and is cronies. But Geena is the President and she automatically understands the disenchantment of the old school boys and she handles it.

Additionally, the husband consequently, assumes a woman's role, and however reluctantly he becomes first man, he bites the bullet. At least he does five minutes before one of the most important speeches on television ensues.

Should Geena pull this off continually, Television just might have created a show for the nation that is truly worth really watching.
72 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Follow on for "West Wing" fans
Susanne Crosby27 April 2006
I was hoping that this could take on the mantle of the gap I know "The West Wing" will leave after the final series: something to stimulate, challenge and educate me, not to mention making me laugh. After watching 4 episodes I'm pleased to say that it might. It's intelligently written, doesn't pander to the audience and the performances are excellent. Geena Davis is incredibly believable and you can sympathise with her being torn between home and family and the most important job in the US. There are a couple of drawbacks - the enemy character of Nathan (and I've always liked Donald Sutherland). It's just that the paranoia and backstabbing is getting a bit tiresome. And to a lesser degree, I really want to slap the teenage daughter who's a real brat (the character, not the actress). I'm looking forward to more, I want to see exciting plot lines and I'm hoping it doesn't go down the route of "I'm out to get you in every episode": the same rehash every time, because as much as that might reflect reality, I'd like to see more of her governing and doing the job, rather than being thwarted in her attempts.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Commander in Chief;
sdrrice28 September 2005
Gena Davis anchors the Commander In Chief with her remarkable, nuanced acting skills; if the writing stays as top notch as it was in the season opener,and if the supporting cast is developed with the complexity suggested in the season's opener, this show should prove to be a provocative drama; it will be interesting to note if, as with the West Wing, the story lines sometimes reflect contemporary or recent events... hopefully the writers will challenge the viewers out of status quo mindsets, where the idea of being American has become too facile.....the show, I hope, will gradually draw a large audience despite the fierce competition at that time slot from other networks.....Good luck to the creators and writers of Commander In Chief!
56 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
If you can get past that "Chief" is essentially a poor man's "West Wing", it is a solidly entertaining contemporary political drama
liquidcelluloid-124 June 2006
Network: ABC; Genre: Drama; Content Rating: TV-PG (adult content and language); Available: DVD; Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1 - 4);

Seasons Reviewed: Series (1 season)

When the president of the United States suddenly suffers a stroke and dies, the most powerful office in the world then goes to Mackenize Allen, who will make history as America's first female president, but is fought at every turn by a scandal-hungry media and power-hungry Speaker of the House Nathan Tempelton (Donald Sutherland).

Right off the bat, the smartest thing "Commander-in-Chief" does is cast Gina Davis in the role of President Allen. Her brief foray into the sitcom world forgotten, Davis possesses all the class, stature and dignity to make a show that is essentially based on a "so what" gimmick utterly believable. For years and years men have had to sit and suffer through the self-promoting rhetoric of women who say that if there was a women president there would be less war, more talking and general peace and harmony in the world. "Chief" puts that to bed in the first episode where Mac doesn't flinch to call for a surgical military air strike on the heroine crop of a terrorist sponsoring country.

"Chief's" lighter tone and improbable situations makes it hard to shake the idea that we are seeing a poor man's "The West Wing". Compared to the big, regal inside-politics juggernaut that was "Wing", "Chief" makes itself more instantly accessible to drive-by viewers. Dare I say, dumbs itself down. Where "Wing" was about issues, history and civics, "Chief" treats the national scandals and political wrangling as if it where another office drama situation - just transplanted into the oval office. Cameras roll when husband Rod (Kyle Secor) trips and appears to grope a young intern. Mac gets political ammunition that could destroy typically evil Republican Tempelton but is just too classy to use it. "Chief" has all the intensity of office gossip.

It's always refreshing when a show can bring you something completely original. One of the most interesting elements is the redefinition of the spouse's role now that his wife has become the president, Rod becomes the First Gentleman. I've honestly never heard that phrase before. But, the show handles Rod like a winy school boy who wants his parents to listen to him. Steven Bochco protégé Mark Paul-Gosslar makes a very good turn as a brilliant political strategist that drags Mac into the game against her will.

But Sutherland is almost comical. He grimaces, narrows his eyes, laughs maniacally and plots diabolically with his sidekick (Nattasha Henstridge). An over-the-top caricature, Sutherland's bad guy is a notch below "The Simpsons'" Mr. Burns. You'd think at any moment we'll see him laughing at a construction worker hanging for dear life from a broken scaffold just outside his window. But despite that, the show hones in on what it does well and begins to have a lot of fun with the rivalry between Mac and Tempelton. Particularly in a late series episode in which a burst appendix puts Mac in the ER and gives Tempelton a taste of that office for a few hours.

Despite not possessing a pronounced liberal voice-box on the issues, "Chief" was immediately taken out to the woodshed by the political right which claimed it to be a Hollywood work to ready the public for Hillary Clinton's run for the White House. There is no evidence of that in the show at all. The right's paranoia toward Hollywood matches the left's paranoia toward, well, everything else.

I understand "Commander in Chief's" motives perfectly. It isn't about the fact that Mac is a women that makes her such a dangerous force of nature in the political world, it is that she is an outsider in a world ruled by archaic traditions, useless decorum and ruled by those rigidly trapped in themselves. (If you'd like, pretend I'm the usual hysterical internet critic and insert a Bush-bashing reference here) While the show runs from any real political satire, episodes often climax with Mac slamming home a speech or idea that makes common sense and upsets the applecart of the career politicians. (here) The theme is never pronounced, but runs pervasive through the series. (here)

Still, the show failed to connect with the viewers, and like Hillary Clinton, it has nothing to do with her being a women. (here) In a sense, this show is yet another insufferable regal portrayal of politicians sitting in lofty seats in the shadows of great men carrying out historical precedent just trying to do what's right for the people. Oh please. Nobody believes that politicians are really like this and unfortunately "Chief" comes at a time when the public's anti-government sentiment is at a high. (here) We could go for it in "The West Wing", which pitched itself in an Capra-esquire fantasy world, but "Chief" puts itself in our not-to-distant future, globs off real events and comes off as just another big, wet politician ass-kiss. (here).

Early on, the show went through a changing of the guard after the network objected to creator Rob Lurie's idea to involve Mac's daughter in a (get this) graphic sex scene with a secret service agent. (…and here). I can't imagine how that would have fit in, but I liked new show-runner Stephen Bochco's interpretation for once. It is almost a guilty pleasure to say this, but yes, "Commander-in-Chief" isn't rocket science, but it is solidly entertaining nonetheless. It deserved better. Maybe ABC should have changed up their advertising just a little bit. How about: "Watch this show or you hate women". Guilty them, like a real politician would.

* * ½ / 4
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
General Comment
jovanna-carter12 October 2005
I just wanted to comment on how much I truly love the show. I've never been big on politics because it's always been a bit over my head but I find this show very intriguing and I look forward to watching it every week. For some reason I really feel as though I can relate to Geena Davis's character. I like the respect that is shown to her when she walks into the "Situation Room" and how she seems to switch gears so quickly. One moment she's talking to her kids the next moment she's on Ntnl. Television. It's empowering and I'm really enjoying the show thus far. Geena Davis is a great actress and I have no doubt in my mind that this role will lead her right to her 1st Emmey.

The only thing I don't like about the show is the youngest daughter. She annoys the crap out of me on a weekly basis. She always seems to be in the way. She's always trying to look wide eyed and adorable when really she's just needs to find something to do.
36 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great Show!
rootedwomon8 October 2005
I watched this program last Saturday night and I was COMPLETELY impressed. There was lots of integrity and attention to detail. It was also great how there were captions that explained to the watcher who each character was, as pertains to how the US government runs. It was also multicultural without being over the top obvious about trying to represent all of the different ethnicities that make up this country. That is always a plus in my book when it comes to popular culture. I truly hope that they keep this one on the air. Taking the perspective of having a President (and I capitalize the word as a high five to Geena Davis),who is an Independent is certainly a different spin than any similar program that has come before (including others that have had a woman as in the oval office. I hope it has long life. I really don't care very much for The West Wing. Go Get 'em Geena and crew!! Can't wait to see the next episode.
50 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Commander in Chief is excellent
rpleet16 October 2005
The plot is moving along nicely with an exceptional cast. The addition of Warren Keaton as a foil for independent president Mackenzie is a brilliant story line. In history there has never been a Vice -President who is on the other side of Presidential positions. His statement of admiration for her decisiveness as the reason he will join her team was terrific and credible. I like the family inclusion but am looking forward to the confirmation hearings for Keaton. How topical and this will be interesting as we compare it to the reality we have been living with. Mr Coyote is an excellent actor and adds to the emerging story. I hope he gets confirmed. His commanding presence adds to the series.I hope he will have a continuing role that shows how effective a V.P. can be unlike V.P Cheney.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A Pity it's canceled! Too controversial?
TheEmulator2314 June 2006
It is a real shame that ABC has canceled this show. I watched most of these episodes online at ABC.Go.com. I must say it grew on me very quickly. I have a feeling that ratings aren't the only reason this show has gotten canceled. This show looks and feels like it must be very expensive. I imagine that Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland are far from cheap. It also seems to have one of the largest regular casts on TV today. (Not counting "Lost" of course.) I think it is a well written show that sometimes may be too smart for the basic American audience. It seems that half of the good shows that are on, never make it out of their 1st season. This show will probably go down as a brilliant but canceled sometime in the future. I know I will miss it, and the premise of a female president is something that is interesting and someday may happen!
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Commander in Chief: a West Wing in Santa Barbara
velijn8 February 2007
The problem with Commander in Chief is that, whatever you may think of "The West Wing", it did set a certain standard. We have to blame the script for that, especially in the Sorkin years. Whatever the ups and downs of individual story lines, you did get a real impression of the West Wing's White House, also thanks to a brilliant production design and a very good cast indeed. We may have smiled (or yawned) with all those tracking 'walkabout' shots through endless corridors and rooms, but this was a White House stuffed to the gills with people. When Leo (or Sam or Josh or CJ) boasts of "nearly 1,100 people working for us" you're inclined to believe them. This was a beehive, an overcrowding mass of people "doing things". And it surely set the tone of a believable White House.

But what has the Commander in Chief to show for her people? An Oval Office, a Cabinet Room, a small and dark office for the chief of staff (one of the most powerful politicians in Washington? Go figure), and a couple of corridors which certainly looked more at home in "Good Housekeeping" than showing corridors of power. What about the Hill? It is almost exclusively represented by the Speaker and his chief of staff. You don't get any feeling of two powers - White House and Capitol - clashing with each other, but only about two people - a decent president (decently played by Geena Davis) and a totally over-the-top malevolent Speaker (hammed up by Donald Sutherland). While West Wing's Josh and Toby and Leo and C.J. were wheeling and dealing with a host of characters, this White House used the telephone (and lots of extra's working as messengers). The Speaker was almost entitled to a bedroom in the White House; he seemed to be shown more in the Oval Room than doing his job on the Hill. And the rest of the Senate and the House? Well, they must have elected to reside in Santa Barbara, for we don't see them at all.

In fact, the whole tone was already set and stamped with the first episode. We, gullible couch potatoes, are quite willing to set aside our unbelief and enjoy a good time. But even a dimwitted viewer would have asked himself if a vice-president in a foreign country doesn't have at least a core staff with her? That the White House - reputed to have the most sophisticated communication system in the world - needs to send people all the way to France to tell the VP that the president has had a stroke? That a president and a Speaker even consider to ask the VP to resign? You may use all the fantasy you can muster to conjure up a lot of improbable situations (and West Wing did exactly that), but there are lines you simply can't step over without falling into a science fiction scenario. There is a Constitution and a slew of Amendments, and when you play with those you're losing a lot of viewers. So, what about a VP - still not confirmed as the de facto president! - who commands carriers around as if they were shopping carts? Or showing the ambassador of a hostile nation the innards of the Temple of Secrets, the Situation Room? And finally, we really have to believe that a Republican president has gone for an independent VP? How gullible must we be?

I honestly think that "Commander-in-Chief" never recovered from that first episode. The new president was a fine lady, and Davis is a fine actress, but she simply couldn't fill the shoes of any president. Her press conferences and many of her talks with "important" people were devoid of any personal impact. Remember the first episode of West Wing, where Bartlet only had the last five minutes? But oh, what a minutes they were! You may or may not agree about that particular religious subject, but when he ripped apart the bigotry of the people involved you knew there was a president in the room.

President Allen's chief of staff Gardner also was too nice to believe in. You knew from the first episode onwards that, in spite of all those times he conferred with Evil Emperor Ming on the Hill, he would give his life and limbs for his president! And Donald Sutherland himself - a great and accomplished actor - killed the whole series almost singlehandedly by playing it up to the rafters. Yes, politics will always have its share of pettiness, but not on kindergarten level. Remember that episode that he was president for just a few hours? Gods, it was embarrassing - not only because they stole that plot line from the West Wing, but also because Sutherland looked every inch an emperor without any clothes. Remember that other Speaker, John Goodman, in the West Wing? Now THAT was threatening. Nuf said.

The reason why I'm climbing in my pen is that The West Wing, 24, Buffy, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Wired and handful of other shows did let us, Europeans, believe that in the middle of so much mediocrity and downright awfulness there was still room for genuine original or professional TV-making. Ron Lurie had made an intriguing little movie about power play in the Capitol & White House - The Contender - so we did expect at least an intelligent approach to yet another White House drama. Unfortunately, this White House stood in Santa Barbara. And even the incumbent inhabitant of the real White House deserved a better series.
Excellent Programming
scorpio_18_0412 May 2006
This show is an excellent program that gives light of how the first female President of the United States would work out. It brings a lot of ideas into the main spotlight, and it really gets people thinking. The issues within the show are current for todays standards and are relevant to the present time. I would recommend this show to anyone and everyone. It also shows how the First family deals with the crisis that comes into their everyday lives. It has an excellent cast, good script, and it is just plain good entertainment. Geena Davis was an excellent choice for the first female President. She really shows her character in a good light because she is so regal, and very eloquent. All in all after seeing this show I would definitely vote for Geena Davis if she ran for President!!
Great Show
carolyn-sass16 March 2006
I love this series! If Gina Davis was running for President I would vote for her. Heard she has a serious sore throat -hope she is well soon. Ready for a new episode, the Olympics killed the momentum. This is a clean, good, interesting drama series. Just love it! Very believable plots. She and costars seem to have a comfortable ease on this show. I love seeing Gina as a President, wife, mother and daughter all in one show. It relays what pressures women in America are feeling everyday, (well not the President position but certainly working outside the home with crazy schedules). I do believe we are ready as Americans to get a female in the oval office. Love this show hope it runs for at least 10 years.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
story line suggestions: third party movement
rcjansen26 December 2005
Given that it is a certainty that the CIC will run for another term, here is a suggestion for how to make it very interesting, and even historically appropriate:

The President should start a third party movement (from the political center, where she obviously stands, rather than from the far right or left).

There is a wealth of historical material to draw upon: Historically, the republican and democratic parties rarely agree upon anything, with one singular exception: they do everything possible to freeze out anything in the way of a third party movement that has any chance whatsoever of bringing about a realignment of the political landscape

Consider how the political landscape might be different had the Reform party chosen to carve its political turf out of the middle instead of the far right. American politics would almost certainly be different from what it is today.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An interesting experiment, thumbs up to all
sudztv29 September 2005
There will be cynics on both sides of the aisle when it comes to ABC's Commander in Chief. Leaving our current political situation out of the debate, on the surface this show is as good as it gets. It's a lot like West Wing but I think we're about to get a glimpse into the west wing of this White House that will be far better. Art imitates life and judging from the pilot episode I see a wide world of possibilities. Geena Davis is strong, yet vulnerable in her role as Mackenzie Allen. She delivers a great characterization of what a woman in her position is faced with as she carries out her constitutional duties. Donald Sutherland's portrayal of the cold, power hungry Speaker of the House presents an honest look into the psyche of a political powerhouse. That's not such a bad thing. As long as the writers keep it as real as the pilot episode, we've got a hit. But more importantly, I think that the more Americans who watch this show, the better. If the ratings continue to maintain their hold after the first episode there will be a pretty clear message sent to the political world. By accepting Davis as Commander in Chief, it's a clear indication that America is ready to accept a woman as its President. Good job, America. You've come a long way, baby!
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The "Absolute Best " New Show on Television
jsmcwhirk28 April 2006
This series is the best that I have seen in a long, long time. The acting is superb, although hubby could be less visible, and the format is unique. A Female president! I would certainly vote for this one and I hope that she remains in office for many years. I have heard, though, that the network, dummies they are, are thinking of pulling it off the air. For what? Another "reality" show? Please! They've already damaged it's support of viewers by pitting against that perennial giant, Without a trace. A sad day indeed, if this show is not renewed for at least another year in a better time slot. How are viewers supposed to remain loyal to a network when that network habitually pulls off the shows that rate the best. Commander in Chief was tops in the ratings the first few weeks and then, for some inexplicable reason, the show went on "hiatus", I guess to allow viewers to "forget" this show. Then when it returned, it was pitted against the aforementioned giant on a different network. Almost as if this show is meant to be doomed. Well, If it is, this network will not have the pleasure of me watching anything else it provides. Why would I? It will only get yanked when it becomes another show that i love as much as the Commander in Chief. Blind Justice was another, that I believe was on this network and it also got pulled. What's the sense in it all?
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Truly a great!
HopefulPandora23 January 2006
This show has quickly jumped to my number one favorite show spot. Politics is my favorite thing but I could never get in to West Wing or any other political show, and this one grabbed me and has kept me. Geena Davis is absolutely sensational as President Mackenzie Allen. She is a very powerful speaker and she looks so professional, like a real president. Donald Sutherland's character is the "enemy" of the show and he does a great job in making you hate him. I anticipate every Tuesday night for a new episode. Each week there is a new crisis to be handles and Mack also comes through. I hope this show continues for a long time because I think it can go so far.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Hail to the Chief
consortpinguin28 September 2005
**Contains spoilers if you haven't seen the first episode yet** The series premiere of any show has to "hit a home run." It has to establish the story, the background, and the characters, and at the same time grab viewers who will watch again and tell their friends. "Commander in Chief" did all that in one short hour.

A lot like "The West Wing," this show chronicles the first Woman President of the United States, Mackenzie Allen. It starts with President Teddy Bridges on his deathbed, asking Vice President Allen to resign, much to her surprise. The scene flashes back to the day when Bridges asked his Nobel Laureate friend "Mac" to run. Was it really just a political stunt to have a woman on the ticket? Donald Sutherland as the Speaker of the House also urges Allen to resign. He doesn't even try to mask his own Presidential ambition as the next in line -- "People who don't crave power don't know what to do with it." But she perseveres. Mackenzie Allen takes the Oath of Office and quickly makes the transition to the Oval Office. Although some of the former President's staff don't want to stay on, Bridges' widow offers the new President much needed encouragement. Allen handles her first Cabinet Meeting with the required strength, and engineers the US Military on a daring international political prisoner rescue.

An interesting sub-plot is the President's husband Rod being coaxed into his role as "First Lady." His Chief of Staff explains exactly what role the First Lady plays as she shows him around the White House. She repeatedly advises him against doing things that Hillary Clinton did.

Geena Davis is perfect for this role. She's a very good actress who has not received the recognition she deserves for her many other roles. Geena Davis became Dottie in "A League of their Own," and in this program she makes Mackenzie Allen come to life.

It's amazing how often life imitates art – for example, "The First Monday in October," a movie about the first woman Supreme Court Justice, no sooner premiered in 1981 than Sandra Day O'Connor was appointed to the Court. Someday there will be a woman president, just as there will be an African-American president. More than one pundit has drawn analogies to Hillary Rodham Clinton, although I see few parallels with Mackenzie Allen. I find it interesting that "Citizens for Rice" aired a commercial on the show – this committee wants to draft Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice for president in 2008.

This premiere succeeded. I will watch next week and tell my friends.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Absolutely Brilliant!
david-299112 April 2006
I have seen two episodes of this new drama and I am already hooked! The show's premiere in the UK was the start of April in 2006 on ABC's UK sister channel, ABC1. The first episode when the base for the entire storyline is gripping, it kinda reminds me of another favourite film of mine, Air Force 1. I find it interesting to see how Mac Allen (Gina Davis) will cope with being a mother, a husband and the President - I also think it will be interesting to see what happens in the future, if we will see much more on the views of Mrs Bridges (the former first lady) and Nathan Templeton (Mr Speaker). I just wish that ABC1 would show more than one episode a week as I am now very hooked! Keep it up producers! I have to also say that Gina Davis was the best selection for this character, she fits the role perfectly.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Command Me, My Chief!
ian-purnomo30 June 2006
At first I didn't really want to see this series, since it looked like a West Wing rip off only with a female Bartlet. However, but then my mate told me that Geena Davis won a Golden Globe for her role as the first female leader of the free world. Although it's not a guarantee, but being considered and won a major award should mean something about the series. Then, I decided to see it and after seeing a couple of episodes, my opinion was changed. I found it's pretty good.

I'm not saying that this series is the best TV show available right now, but I can say it can be compared with all the best ones available. The plots are quite simple. I must say it's a bit too soap opera-ish. However, with current TV series who are trying to be smart, it is good to have some escapism in quite an intelligent way with a political background.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Commander in Chief w/Geena Davis & Donald Sutherland
caroken10 October 2005
I find this Drama Series to be a click below The West Wing. A couple of issues with the series thus far bother me and I'm anxious to see how they will be resolved.

1. Not big on kids in drama series .. The kids are way too much in the foreground. Hopefully as episodes move forward they will get pushed back a tad because if I must endure these kids front and center each & every episode, I just might find myself flipping channels.

2. Donald Sutherland's character is a son of a bitch. It's good to establish her alliances and adversaries for the plot(s) and subplot(s) but I hope at some point this isn't the basis of each and every episode in having Mr. Sutherland plotting her demise.

3. Keep it real, generally the kids don't ride with the President.

4. Having Geena's character as an Independent with a Republican Control House & Senate is a little too much to take. There's already one first but being an Independent regardless of gender will be more than anybody care bare when attempting to get things done.

5. I've heard several comments from the Cast in reference of past Presidents including President Clinton. It would be great to do an episode with Former President Clinton in an advisory capacity.

*I see good things for this show and find along with The West Wing, I'm waiting eagerly for the next episode.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Excellent ... Why Cancelled?
eceggers16 May 2006
Commander in Chief is an excellent TV series with an award-winning actress, Geena Davis. ABC should decide once and for all what night and at what time the show should air and then keep it that way. And show the series every week, not on and off like they did.

ABC messed up by showing the series a few times, then not showing it for a long time, then showing it for a few more shows. How can a TV show gain any audience when it's not run on a continual basis in the same time slot?

Write to ABC and complain. This is too good a show to cancel. Tell ABC to select one night and one time slot for Commander in Chief and keep it there. And advertise it. Let's put this show back on the air and let it gain some fans. I am one of them.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?