A Million Little Pieces (2018) Poster

Bleh
alainp-936-2978869 December 2019
Could've been good but nah, they missed the mark. The lead, was fun to watch but terribly miscast ~ he was playing an addict who as the doctor said was near death with all his vital organs barely working, yet he looked like Fitness instructor.

His nude scenes saved this film imho.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has its moments
muamba_eats_toast4 September 2019
A strong central performance about a film that dances around the edges of the grim reality at times and at times was poorly paced sometimes rushing sections and dragging other parts out. Still does a good job making you care about most the characters unlike some similar films. Unfortunately however it doesn't quite all come together and falls just short of being anything more than reasonably good.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I hope the message of this tale helps those who need to hear it.
chicagovesuvi9 December 2019
Aside from the fabrications and embellishments, the core of this story rings true to someone who has known people who have fought (and continue to fight) for their recovery.

This movie was evocatively directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson. I give immense kudos to her skills. I was brought to the point of tears more than once. And the movie left me with a feeling of realistic hope.

I'd also like to heap praise on all the cast whose performances made this an honor to experience.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not too sure about this
idbad230 October 2019
I read this book because it was supposed to be a true story and then later found out that it was mostly lies and the author made most of it up. As a work of fiction it is a great book and hopefully the movie will follow the book.
20 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sort of gets there, in the end....
CelluRob17 November 2019
As long as we remember that this is a work of fiction, then it isn't a bad little runner. Aaron Taylor-Johnson and an extremely dapper Billy Bob Thornton engender some interest in their characters and as such, you do find yourself starting to care for them. ATJ plays an out-of-control druggie with little, he thinks, to live for; is sent to a rehab centre and meets Lilly (Odessa Young). The film develops sensitively - if, at times, angrily - and does offer us a little considered insight into the worlds of the carers and the cared-for. Nothing you won't have seen (or, likely, read) before and it is maybe just a bit too long, but it does deserve a viewing.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprised this was even made considering its all made up
setbro24 December 2019
So for those who don't know, this was one of Oprah's first book of the month. And this was when a little no name book could become a million seller. So the author sold this book to be a true story which it is not. Those of you old enough to remember well recall Oprah bringing the author James Frey back to the Oprah show and gave him a classic tongue lashing. It was epic oh, she made him cry on National Television.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whatever the truth of Frey's recollections
babybuletgani30 November 2019
Whatever the truth of Frey's recollections, there can be no doubting the power of what the Taylor-Johnsons put on screen. This is a full-blooded portrayal, beginning with Frey at rock bottom as he collapses after a crackfuelled party session. Bundled on a plane by a doctor - destination: a Minnesota rehab facility - he wakes up mid-air, immediately stealing a whisky miniature from the hostess trolley, downing it furiously. Taken to the clinic by his concerned brother (Charlie Hunnam), Frey has no wish to recover and hates the facility's 12-step programme, showing contempt for others there, including the seen-itall counsellor (Juliette Lewis). His antiauthoritarian streak leads him to another troubled soul, former teen prostitute Lilly (Odessa Young), though their secret assignations inevitably lead to more pain. More volatile than other recent addiction tales (Beautiful Boy, Ben Is Back), this film has a raw energy to it, putting Taylor-Johnson (the director) squarely back on more interesting terrain than her 2015 bonk-buster Fifty Shades Of Grey. Featuring fine work from Billy Bob Thornton as a flamboyant addict prone to dispensing pearls of wisdom, and an electric ATJ at his most grizzled, this is the sort of film where you just can't say no.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly great
iamkeysersoze-1322830 August 2019
The film won't be for everyone but I thought it was terrific. It was well handled for the subject matter, brilliantly acted from all especially Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Odessa Young. I really felt something in this film especially when Odessa's character committed suicide. Definitely watch it, it's slow but ultimately pays off.
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring!
carollyn-520169 December 2019
I paid $5.99 to watch this movie on demand.wush I had saved my money to wait for it to come out on cable. Parts of the movie were just ok but I found the movie to be very boring at times and I almost didn't watch to the end. Left a lot to be desired! Thumbs down!
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch but definitely read book!
lucyannashford19 January 2020
I found this book by accident, discarded on the landing of my hotel a few years back and thought I'd give it a go. I couldn't put it down until I finished. The story is horrifying yet compelling and only after I finished, did I learn of the media hype, implying it wasn't true. James Frey, I believe, has since said elements are fabricated or at least elaborated. Anyway...

The film is very watchable and if you've read the book the story will be familiar and it does stick mostly to what's written. But the book paints a far more vivid picture of the horror of drug addiction and this is what keeps the reader hooked in a kind of prurient way. James seems to be a character you just can't help wanting to make it in life.

Aaron Johnson is cast well in this role and lucky Sam Taylor Wood deserves thanks for letting us see that wonderful body! I knew he'd be a brilliant actor after seeing him years ago as a child actor in Feather Boy. (Check out his REM Uberlin video - amazing!).

I didn't feel Leonard was cast quite as well - my image of him was more Hulk Hogan!

There is also a second book my friend Leonard which is also worth a read.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you want to get depressed watch this movie
xocelestexo-384-53172110 March 2020
This movie started out intriguing but the struggle was so torturous to watch. The sadness and desperation made me shut it off.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A million flops!
scwoods551 December 2019
I really can't believe they made a movie out of this book. I needed answers at a very sad time for my family. Read the book, thought it was true, it's not..... Won't waste my time! Shame on you!
13 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre movie about a boring subject, rehab...
deloudelouvain13 December 2019
A Million Little Pieces is the kind of drama I'm just not looking forward to. Watching addicts whining about anything, feeling sorry for themselves, blaming everything that goes wrong in their sad life to others, that's just boring to watch. If you do too much drugs or drink too much alcohol just assume it. So no I don't have much sympathy for addicts and no I didn't enjoy this movie. It's an average story, there are much better ones with the same subject. The cast isn't bad but the story is. Of course they had to put a little religion in this movie, like all rehab movies, and that's even more boring. If I was an addict and they came up with that religious crap I'd probably overdose just so I wouldn't have to listen to that dilusional whining.
9 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant depiction of addiction
nezatsphone11 December 2019
This film provided an insightful look into the world of addiction. It hinges on the cusp of greatness with the depiction of the main character battling his own demons and addiction. Would highly recommend this film to anyone.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
cyer3212 January 2020
I read the book and the follow-up, My Friend Leonard, and when it was revealed that it was mostly made up, I was disappointed but absolutely blown away by Frey's writing and storytelling. That CANNOT be taken away from him. This movie was beautiful. The actors all give their hearts to the story and the direction and cinematography are phenomenal. For all the people whining about it because Frey wasn't honest about his experiences, well, they must just need something to complain about. I'm guessing all of you just watch documentaries and were irreparably scarred when your parents finally told you Santa isn't real. I am so very disappointed that I only recently heard that this movie existed. I believe that it was overshadowed by the scandal, but shouldn't have been. Top notch casting, and a pretty long list of familiar faces, again, all of whom did a fantastic job. All in all, it's a story of triumph and perseverance and progress and growth through some pretty terrible obstacles, even if they are mostly self-imposed.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretentious film school project
ciffou5 April 2020
I don't undestand why they decided to make a movie adaptation out of the book instead of the controversy surrounding its publication. That would have been far more interesting. This movie is the poor man's Xavier Dolan film - and even his "artsy" shots are obnoxious enough. I assume they expected this movie to be an award winning project: nudity, check; tears, check; redemption arc, check; artsy shots out of nowhere, check. They even throw a couple of scientologists to the mix! Overall its plot is as basic and predictable as you would expect it to be had it been made during the 90s.
Its Okaaaay.....
slimecity-3866318 February 2020
I wanted to like this, it opens with some pretty nice slomo film work, and looks dark & impressive. I didnt make it to the end however. The characters were a little undercooked and their motivations werent always clear. The romance the lead has didnt seem that convincing. Plus I was really looking forward to seeing Giovanni Ribisi, however he also either had trouble portraying that character, or the writing wasnt right for him. The interactions between him & the lead also seemed forced and these characters seemed to "get" close all of a sudden, without real development of how this occurred. Billy Bob did shine in his role however, and (partially) redeemed this film to me. Its not a bad portrayal of drug issues, ie: it doesnt force the "drugs are bad" rhetoric down your throat - however there are better films out there dealing with these issues
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An engaging and remarkable struggle
Gordon-1126 January 2020
This tells an a remarkable struggle against substances. His transformation in the rehab is remarkable and pleasing. The number of familiar faces in the film adds to the viewing pleasure as well.
hard to swallow
ops-5253512 December 2019
Like a glass of whiskey or brandy, the taste that reminds me of being drilled by the dentist in my younger teenage years. its really a rollercoaster of high but mostly lows in the addicted lifes of addicts during a stay at a anonymous ''addicts'' center in the early 1990's usa. in fact its a very angry story narrated from the main characters standpoint, a pityfilled story, with dashes of crazyness so great that it starts clutching in the stomach.

for a story comparission i will mention the concept marillion album ''clutching at straws'', that rang in my ears in the early 90's, about a late 20's guy out-of-work whose life is a mess. He seeks comfort mostly in alcohol to numb himself. He is trying, but failing, to forget what lies at his feet-a failed marriage, being a deadbeat father while clutching the straws of a sugar mice in the rain.

the actors really do a good performance, and the cinematography are at the top level, but the drawback is the fast shifting moves and lack of introduction and development of the caracters

the grumpy old man recommends if your an post addict or if your having a sunshining day.because its a flick thats hard to swallow after all.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Performances
rfieldj22 December 2019
Everything about this movie was actually well done, from the performances to the direction and writing. However, I just wish they would have disclosed the back story about the book, "A Million Little Pieces." Apparently, the author lied a good deal throughout the entire story and it created a huge firestorm back in 2006. A lot of people felt duped, it rocked the publishing industry for a short time, and frankly some kind of notice at the beginning or the end of the film would have redeemed it. For anyone who doesn't know about what happened. Here's a link below.

"In a stunning switch from dismissive to disgusted, Oprah Winfrey took on one of her chosen authors, James Frey, accusing him on live television of lying about "A Million Little Pieces" and letting down the many fans of his memoir of addiction and recovery."
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All made up...and it shows
df420514 March 2020
Never read the book, but was aware of the stink it caused when it was revealed that it was all made up. The movie seems equally made up from the get go. I know that movies are fiction and all that...but if they're supposed to take place in our reality...shouldn't they follow the rules of our reality? Even accepting that this took place in the eighties....you cannot just throw an unconscious person on a plane! That's called kidnapping sweetie. And since the predicate act crossed state lines...now its a Federal offence. How did the 'doctor' know where to send him? Who paid for the 'five minutes from now' plane ticket? I'm with the character on this one when the stewardess says she's not allowed to give him a drink. "Says who?" That 'Doctor' is not his doctor, he has absolutely zero authority to give you orders in regards to him. And its nice that (presumably) his family has the money to pay for this treatment. Cause let me tell you...treatment facilities ain't cheap! So, I couldn't even make it to the ten minute mark myself. The only thing the film really had going for it was Aaron getting his kit off twice. Other than that, it just seems like one big PSA advert. This movie is your brain on drugs! It's a fictional movie, based on a fictional book, dressed up to seem like a true story.
Decline of a Person
westsideschl23 February 2020
If seeing how drugs/alcohol can destroy a person then this movie seems to do the job well. As to treatment centers it was a bit more theatrical, but somewhat useful anyway.
Contrived and Implausible
SantaCruzReviews26 January 2020
Cartoonish and unlikable characters who were poorly acted. Worst depiction of chemical dependency treatment. If the movie accurately depicts the book, it's a wonder how anyone believed it and was shocked when it was revealed that he made a lot of it up.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Authentic with just the right amount of cheese
stevojaxon26 December 2019
It would be easy to dismiss this film if you don't like a celebration of a wasted life and it's ultimate rehabilitation. However, I know a thing or two about this type of stuff and the opening scenes are very cool and authentic ... someone did their research. Aaron the lead is consistent throughout with his tantrums and anti-establishment guilt fuelled dysfunctional behaviour standing out. I'm just disappointed in the closing scene; a bit too moralistic for my taste. Billy Bob always adds to the production doesn't he? But you just never know if he's going to be terrific, neutral or completely bored with what he's doing. I think he has had a lot of good pay cheques coming in so he doesn't have to pretend to be hungry I suppose? But he's good in movies where he's hungry. And Aaron's girlfriend in the rehab is really good. I'd enjoy seeing her again in a different role but alas she hung herself in the movie so that's the end.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.