The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006) Poster

Wow
mbworm14 October 2006
Impresively taking "Texas Chainsaw" back to its roots, horror fans and cinema-goers alike should definitely give this prequel to the daring 2003 remake a chance. Although the remake in 2003 was excellent and had a tighter, more involving plot than this film, it breaks a barrier because rather than directly approaching the style of the remake and trying to live up to its success, this equally grisly thriller ignores all of the gloss, cinematography, pacing and story that it was inspired from. Instead, it goes back to the film style which made the nightmare in 1974, a more direct homage to the in your face horror that started it all.

This story is in 1963, right before the events of the 2003 film which took place in the early seventies. Jordana Brewster plays Chrissie, who is on a fun road-trip across Texas with her friends, Eric, Dean, and Bailey, played well off of each other by Matthew Bomer, Taylor Handley and Diora Baird.

Shortly after the terrifying, recognizable psycho Leatherface commits his first murders, a cross story involving an encounter with some nasty bikers throws the doomed teenagers flipping across the road in a surprisingly brutal accident.

After Sheriff Hoyt arrives (R. Lee Ermy in another chilling performance), to take control of the scene, the nightmare begins for Chrissie's friends as she watches them get taken away in his police car, unknowingly headed for the house which would become a place of torment and nightmares for years to ensue.

Appropriately gory and no-holds barred, Jonathan Liebesman creates a tight, slick and sadistic thriller in the eyes of Chrissie as she endlessly attempts to rescue her friends from a demented madman's clutches. This is a highly worthy and satisfying entry in the horror series that will make an indelible mark on your imagination, if not already done by the seemingly endless spew of remakes and graphic horror films.
60 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't expect anything new
zahana7 October 2006
Please don't get me wrong, this is a good horror film. To those looking for gore, it is there any there is plenty of blood shed. I would speculate several scenes have been cut to appease the mpaa. Had this film been release before Hostel, The Hills Have Eyes, or the Saw Franchise, more of the film would have ended up on the cutting room floor. The film is being advertised as it will show up how Tommy Hewitt became Leatherface. Anyone looking for any real discovery to this information will have to look somewhere else. Truthfully the only real incite into the Hewitt family origin is how a homicidal sexual deviant was able to become a Sheriff. Being a prequel, the lack of background information is, to say the least, disappointing.

I don't want to get into specifics, but there are several parts where the film feels as though it being recycled. Some scenes feel as if they were rehashed from other Chainsaw films, needless to say they did not live up. Add to this the typical slasher clichés (don't go upstairs/down to the basement, etc) and it only adds to the predictability.
109 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unpleasant and disturbing...as it should be
preppy-36 October 2006
Prequel to the 2003 "Texas Chainsaw..." giving us the origin of Leatherface and his twisted family. That's all done within the first 20 minutes...then it's just a virtual redo on the original with four likable 20-somethings being captured and tortured by Leatherface and his family. Considering it's basically a remake of the 2003 film, it works remarkably well.

It takes place in 1969 and has two brothers (Taylor Handley and Matthew Bomer) going to enlist (after being drafted). Along are their two girlfriends (Jordana Brewster and Diora Baird). But they're stopped by crazy Sheriff Hoyt (R. Lee Ermey) who is Leatherface's uncle...and the "fun" begins.

Very grim and graphic with no humor and shot in muted color...just as the 2003 one. The gore is strong and disgusting (this got trimmed to get an R rating) and I can't say I liked it...but it did it's job. It scared me. I was cringing in my seat a few times and jumped more than once.

Another plus is ALL the acting is good. Brewster, Handley, Baird and Bomer are all good-looking and likable--when the violence starts you really are horrified at seeing such great characters being tortured. Ermey is on hand giving another terrifying performance as Hoyt. His character is so twisted, violent and sick that when he got a taste of his own medicine my quiet audience broke out in applause. Also there's good old Leatherface and his chainsaw chasing everybody.

In some ways I applaud a grim, graphic R rated horror film that pulls no punches--I HATE the watered down PG-13 crap we usually get. But unlike some (like "Scream") this is pretty unrelenting and wears you down. But it scared me and that's exactly what it's supposed to do. An 8.
118 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Good...Full-On Chainsaw. Lots of gore. Very little cheese.
wes-11526 September 2006
The movie is very good...if you're into this kind of thing. It's nice to see a franchise splatter film that is intense and gory without being cheesy. Many of the current crop of splatter films are played intentionally cheesy for humor. Which is fine, but they shouldn't ALL be like that. This movie has some humor in it, but it's a darker humor, and not meant to be cheesy or campy.

Everything that comes to mind when you hear the words "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is in this movie. No wussing-out in this one! Murder, torture, cannibalism, insanity and a touch of the surreal. Oh yeah, and a chainsaw. No punches are pulled, so this flick is not for the squeamish.

Tonally it wasn't as surreal as the original, but it had a better (read: creepier) tone than the 2003 remake. Plenty of blood and guts. R. Lee Ermey plays a major character instead of a bit-player like in the 2003 remake, and the film benefits from this.
132 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Welcome to Texas!
Esken23 November 2006
I saw this when i was in L.A. screening my own horror short October 2006. It was at the Chinese theater, and i was so delighted that i'm still talking about it. I love the original and the remake, and i feel the same way with this one. It shows how f****d up things can get when you accidentally end up in places you shouldn't be. Ermey is a true horror star, and really shows of here. This is a very gory film, and those of you who can't watch much blood, stay away:) For those of you who can, come on in!!! :) When i watched it i almost felt that it might turn me off of making horror films, but the feeling of course came right back:) Leatherface shows no mercy! Just as us horror freaks like it. The thing that shocked me was that i heard that they cut 17 scenes to get it an R-rating? Then i'm thinking, i can't wait to see what they cut. Hopefully the DVD will show us the goods. This might sound dumb coming from a horror fan of a long time, but i hope they make another one:)
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Chainsaw Still Ain't Rusty
lovadoll30 September 2006
Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Beginning is a fantastic slasher film that brings us back to the classic era of 1970's slashers.I loved this chainsaw film simply because it answers all the whys and provides you with leatherface's history.Definitely gorier than the previous film and far more cringe inducing.This is first non cheesy slasher i've seen in ages which is a very nice change for me personally.

The acting in the film is very good there are some very intense performances and some graphic scenes.It's shot very 70's slasherseque which overall gives it a creepy aura.The storyline is very easy to follow yet very disturbing and depressing at the same time.Overall fans of The Devil's Rejects and The Hills Have Eyes see Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Beginning it's well worth the admission fee.
109 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pointless and Insulting
errolforprez16 October 2006
This movie was gore merely for the sake of gore. There was zero suspense knowing that all of the characters would die. The problem I've always had with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies is this idea that the state police never seem to come knocking after these gruesome deaths occur and the victims go missing. It's a kind of oh well we'll just overlook that one glaring plot hole, but unfortunately it's a big one and just too big to ignore. This Chainsaw film just seemed utterly pointless based on that fact and completely insulting to average intelligence. At least in the 2003 film, the main character, Jessica Biel, manages to escape. Every single character is so one dimensional and disposable that I didn't feel anything for the characters. What I did feel was sympathy for the actors playing these meaningless parts. I just sat there waiting for the next one to die and other than being mildly curious about what kind of morbid way they would be offed, I was far from being on the edge of my seat. The first act of the film is by far made the least amount of sense and just seemed like filler to get to the gory stuff and chainsaw scenes. The subplot with the bikers made zero sense. There is absolutely no explanation why the biker chick just suddenly starts pursuing the jeep out of nowhere to rob it. Uh where was her boyfriend and what was he doing? At least in the 2003 film, there were a lot better struggles and chase sequences and at least the setup made more sense. This film's ending was by far the biggest slap in the face of the horror genre. After sitting through 91 minutes of grotesque, sadistic torture the one single remaining character is killed in the most clichéd ways imaginable. This movie deserves to be banned - banned for being stupid beyond belief.
64 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the 2nd best chainsaw film?
sifort201212 October 2006
I've been a Texas chainsaw fanatic since i saw the original (when i was about 8) and all the sequels obviously tried hard (except the one with Bridget Jones in which was an utter waste of time) but ultimately failed to be worthy of following up such a classic. the remake was OK, it looked great and had some quality violence but didn't really hit the spot.

but when i had finished watching this one (a prequel to a remake?) I've got to say i was very impressed, of course it had problems. the odd character didn't seem to have much of a purpose other than to die horribly and scared teenage girls still have that tendency to walk towards the screams of pain rather than leg it, but the grimness and violence of it all was pretty much relentless. there was no crap attempts at humour (other than the 'sherrif' but thats laughing at how out of order he is) and once it gets going it doesn't stop until the abrupt ending.

it looks great, the violence is above and beyond what you expect to see at a cinema (i don't know all the cuts made to the us version but the UK version seems to be about 8mins longer) and it felt like i was watching something that deserved to have 'texas chainsaw massacre' in the title.

if you like horror and gore films you should have a great time, go see.
53 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not one to miss!
xchloex1471 February 2013
I've been sat here reading through all the different user reviews of this film and have really found a mixed bag. One minute I will read a review laden with positive feedback and singing the praises of the film. The next I am met with someone complaining about every single aspect of the film, so to say that this was a universal success would unfortunately be a lie. In my humble opinion, I found this film to fulfil everything I wanted when I picked up the disk and more. New to this franchise I was happy to finally know the context of it all. The performance of Matt Bomer (Eric) should be highly commended and this is no surprise considering his other endeavours. I have seen people complain about the colour filter used in the film but I actually thought that it added to the atmosphere of the story and enhanced the thrilling nature. While watching the film I did wonder how on earth it was going to end but I was more than satisfied with the ending that I was provided with. As I have the film on DVD, I then looked at the additional features to find the alternate endings and I must say that the final one was by far the best. This is definitely one for gore fans because there is more blood than you can shake a stick at. In particular the scene when Thomas gets his 'new face' to become Leatherface is subtle yet effective. The scenes preceding this (withholding some information, I don't want to ruin the film) are definitely not for the fainthearted and even as a fan of gore of this sort did find myself wincing. Overall, as seen in my star rating, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and cannot recommend it highly enough and will be sure to watch it again. All I am saying is watch the film for what it is, not comparing it to the others. If you keep an open mind (as I did) you're sure to enjoy it. Happy watching!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Beginning? Are you kidding?
andell8 October 2006
There are a lot of things that astonish and disappoint me in this world...but this ridiculous piece of garbage film getting a 5.9 rating on the back of a LOT of perfect ratings is one of the most disappointing and disturbing of all. In fact, I dare say when I was leaving the theater, the only crime I felt had taken place was fraud! The cast is essentially the same...two girls (one brunette and one blonde) and two boys (one brunette and one blonde) are substituted for the "original" two girls and two boys with the same hair color and the same general appearance. Insert a couple of bikers, some inane "facts" about how "Hoyt" became sheriff, "Leatherface" was born and raised, and so on...and what you have is the original remake remade with a B class feel.

The contradictions in this are appalling. For instance, Leatherface is one bad mutha...he's huge, he's powerful (lifts one guy up off the ground, impaled on a chainsaw), and he causes the ground to shake when he walks. Yet he hides in a car, he can't be seen by a passing vehicle, and his stealth like nature allows for a very stupid and very gory finale that perhaps gives this wretched fraud the only genuine feeling of originality it deserves. Its original in this...but its also very, VERY stupid! This movie is throughly pointless. Hoyt wasn't the actual sheriff...well there's a shocker. Gee, could a man in a dead town be pretending to be a sheriff? Or that Leatherface had birth defects? Or that his mother gave birth to him on the floor of the slaughterhouse as she was dying (yeah, this was one grotesque scene...I can't even imagine someone being proud of producing that scene...let alone choosing to keep it in the movie), and he found a home away from home in the confines of the slaughter house? I'm of course off on a tangent here...but literally there is NOTHING in this movie...nothing at all. Simply put, this is a rehashing of the remade TCM, repackaged as a beginning chapter that simply was not needed. If you want to see Leatherface, do yourself a favor and watch the DVD of the remake- it makes more sense than paying money to go to the theater and watch the same movie for an inflated price!
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Life is too short to wallow in this 'Bay' of blood...
Jonny_Numb11 October 2006
There is an idiom about the way a human being feels pain—when a surge comes, it makes a brief period of time, sometimes only a matter of seconds, feel like an unbearable eternity. Sometimes situations like a pulled muscle or a banged kneecap are hard to endure without just a minor yelp of protest.

The same idiom can be applied to "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning," a film that runs 84 minutes, but is packed with so much gratuitous meat, gore, slime, urine, drool, grime, screaming, agony, sadism, misogyny, and outright misanthropy that it feels like 10 hours…10 long, extremely unpleasant hours (and that's putting it generously). This is the most uncomfortable 10 hours (I mean 84 minutes, sure...) I've ever spent in a darkened theater. "The Beginning" is not only a repulsive film within the horror genre (which has been on a rapid downhill slide some are calling a "renaissance")—it could very well be the worst film I've ever had to misfortune to waste my cash on. Period. By the time the credits roll, you'll officially know how Marsellus Wallace felt in the basement of that pawn shop.

I have seen many horror films in my quarter-century on this earth, from early black-and-white classics, '60s kitsch, gritty '70s realism (including Tobe Hooper's original "Chainsaw"), '80s slashers, '90s badness, and a healthy dose of uber-gory European selections from the likes of Fulci, Argento, Pasolini, Deodato, Buttgereit, etc. I'm far from a prude when it comes to cinematic violence, and it takes a lot to offend my otherwise salivating horror sensibility… But "The Beginning" is absolutely wretched—a rock-bottom low in horror…and film in general. If ever there was a case where I would put my stamp of approval on the protest, censorship, banning, or outright incineration of a film into the stratosphere so that it may never be viewed by human eyes–and I am usually against such things–this would be it.

This is a film that produces zero scares, but an overflow of disgusting, artless imagery wrongly assumed to BE scary. Its villains are grotesque, unfunny inbred sickos, and its 'heroes' (including 2 guys who resemble Christopher Atkins and Robby Benson, and their girlfriends, with less definition than their Gap-model looks) exist only to have all manner of beating, torture, and mutilation inflicted upon them. Chainsaws and other sharp implements are plunged into flesh in gory close-up. The Vietnam War is cynically exploited to analogize two characters "coming of age" and "becoming men" while suffering the torments of the savage Hewitt clan (also given an un-ironic layer in R. Lee Ermey's war veteranship). In a slasher film where the overriding intentions appeal only to the basest, most reprehensible urges in man, trying to infuse "commentary" into the proceedings comes off as profoundly as a monkey reaching for guano.

Like so many low-budget horrors of the 1950s-'70s, the title of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was a misnomer. The film featured a handful of deaths, only one of which was committed with the titular weapon (and, even then, only shown a few drops of blood); the movie was an absurd comedy of sorts, shrouded in a gritty, documentary-style realism that fueled the terror brewing beneath. There's a good word: "terror." Hooper's 1974 original is, as others before me have said, brilliant for what it doesn't show; it created a terrifying atmosphere and utilized locations and techniques that made the events seem very real. By comparison, the 2003 remake was slick, overproduced, and took the carnage of the title quite literally, offering little more than a plot less torture show, and "Beginning" takes that nihilism to a whole new level.

This time around, it's the subtitle that's misleading, as any insight into Leatherface (oh, excuse me–"Thomas Hewitt")'s madness is limited to a gratuitous shock-prologue and vague flash-cuts over the opening credits. "The Beginning" then dives into a story we've all seen too many times before. To those who have seen the 2003 version: it's the same thing. And to those who haven't, it can be summed up as simply as: 2 young couples relentlessly tortured for 84 minutes by a family of cackling psychopaths.

Seriously, that's all there is. It's a nihilistic, grueling, and utterly unredeemable excuse for inflicting pain under the banner of "horror," when it is really anything but. (If Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes company has proved anything to the world, it's that he hasn't the foggiest idea how to scare people.) Horror's recent shift toward hard-R films where dismemberment and gore are the order of the day ("The Devil's Rejects," "Hostel," etc.) has been a thorn in my side as of late–not that I have any problem with these elements of horror, but that few filmmakers know how to back up their excesses with a good, scary story. The underrated "Wolf Creek" is as grim–if not more–than "TCM: The Beginning," but at least gives us a trio of realistic, likable characters whose side we are squarely on, counterbalancing the actions of the psycho terrorizing them; evil is not vanquished, but, at the end, there is a faint sense of hope regardless. "The Beginning," in all its proudly repulsive glory, gives us villains who aren't served a lick of justice, and heroes who, by the insulting, sick-joke climax, have all met with the service end of Tommy Hewitt's 'saw.

It's not an ironic sort of injustice––it's merely depressing and infuriating. 'Irony,' in this case, would be knowing that "High Tension" was threatened with an NC-17 while this geek show passed through the ever-astute MPAA with an easy R. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" shook my soul with rage–a truly vile, worthless bit of cinema with no redeeming qualities. If ever there's been a reason to abort a worn-out franchise, this is definitely it.
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bravo
saiyaman1020006 October 2006
Rather than focus on what this film is not I will focus on what it is. From what some people will say TCM the beginning, (as the TCM Predecessor has been accused of)are, too predictable, not enough plot.....etc etc etc, all comments from individuals who obviously are watching the wrong watered down horror movies for the wrong reasons. If you want to watch a good old fashion blood and guts horror movie that delivers on the darkness, the atmosphere, the killing, all that makes a horror movie good (and not bad as is lost on most movie reviewers) then see TCM the beginning. It is a throw-back, just as the remake was to a time when the horror movie market was not dominated with slews of PG-13 watered down,"psychological horror" ripped off from real Japanese horror movies and only made worse by US film makers. I for one am glad that movies like TCM the beginning come out now and again to the same Criticisms that should be praised rather than scored, but then again i am of a generation that applauds the blood, and Gratuitous violence and dreary depression or horror, instead of going eeewww thats gross! It beats the heck out of the Japanese rip off PG-13 flicks and it definitely beats most of the 90s horror departure from the excellent horror of the 80s film makers who weren't scared to show blood, guts, nudity etc. That is just my general overview if you are the type of person who wishes to see a huge hulking serial killer demolish people, rather than some little bug eyed kid, or old man with a fisherman's hook then by all means see TCM the beginning, otherwise stay home and complain about the lack of all elements that have ruined most horror films over the past decade.
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
More Of The Same
ElijahCSkuggs6 October 2006
Story is about how the family became notorious for what they do best. That's killing young hippies, bikers and pretty much anyone else that crosses paths with them. And why? "We'll never go hungry again." Good enough reason for me! I, like many of you, are going to see this to see Leatherface and family, kill. To see gore, blood, maybe get a few scares, watch Leatherface do something really badass. Yeah! But is that all we're supposed to expect? Can't we hope for maybe something else thrown in? Maybe a real in-depth look into Leatherface aka Tommy. Nope, we get what I just said. The same old routine. We've seen it before. And it's been done better. Not with better special effects or cinematography. But acting, writing, and suspense. Not once was I scared, felt any type of suspense....anything. (I hope you did) I pretty much just sat there waiting for something "cool" to happen.

The movie was pretty hardcore though. Extreme fans of horror, people who have seen Untold Story and stuff like that, will have no problem with this. But the average viewer should have a sweet time with this. You'll be sucked into it. The tone of the movie works very well. It's a hardcore movie that sticks to it's guns.

I am just getting a little tired of the same formula. I was hoping for something different. Didn't get it. The movie is hardcore, bloody and has Leatherface. Not too bad.
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I like this face better
Josh Bond6 October 2006
This movie started off like any other horror flick. Especially a Texas chainsaw massacre flick but this movie answers so many questions from the first one and really makes it look like this movie should come first. The blood effects are amazing and the storyline was fresh and overall the movie was amazing! It took a little getting used to because although it was a lot like the first one it was very different. I won't spoil it for ya but this one makes the first one look like a Teletubbies Christmas Special! If you love gore, suspense, terror, and the symbol of all that is just plain wrong then The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is just your slasher!
60 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Texas Chainsaw Massacre "The Beginning"
Twnpksgirl15 October 2006
I had gotten a break from the usual drama of my daily life, and decided to go see the Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (TCM). Being a lover of TCM I was rich with enthusiasm when I heard that another chapter, "the beginning" of the Hewitt family saga was about to unfold. When I came out of the movie theater I was very disappointed.

I almost fell asleep twice during the movie. It had all the makings of a great horror film, but it lacked the kick in the ass that it needed, it was full of blood and guts lots of chainsaw action but the story line was weak at best.

Toby Hooper the original creator of TCM Co-Produced "the beginning" and there were a few scenes from the original TCM movie which were poorly regurgitated in "the beginning".

When I heard the phrase "the beginning" connected to another sequel of the TCM, I got goose bumps at the prospect of a peak inside the mind of a truly deranged and abused serial killer, and from the past portrayal of "Tommy" aka Leather face, as America's favorite chainsaw slinging serial killer, I thought this was going to be an intricate and very detailed account of what really made him the stellar man he was now, not so much. The movie grazes the surface of what I hoped "Tommy's" beginning would have been.

TCM "The Beginning" lacked the macabre scenes of the original which made the TCM so horrifying, in the original film the house was a collection of filth, human remains, piles of bones, chairs refurbished with human arms, upholstered chairs with human skin, etc. There was so much decorative and gory paraphernalia created by human remains in the first movie that just silent shots of this disarray made the audience truly terrified, and it made movie goers really stop and think about Leather face's psychosis.

Now you may be able to argue, well it's the beginning, but in the movie "Tommy" Leather face, was already filleting skin (origin not known) and covering his own disfigured face, to create a sense of normalcy within himself.

The rational behind the cannibalism in the movie stems from the "dying town" only kept alive by the slaughter house that was condemned and shut down, so instead of relocating their dysfunctional family they begin hunting down humans, torturing them, ultimately killing them and surviving on their remains.

The film was lack luster at best.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A very noteworthy installment to the series.
BloodStone6 October 2006
* MAY CONTAIN SOME MINOR SPOILERS* Well kiddies, just got back from taking in an afternoon matinée of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; The Beginning" & I got 4 words that best describe it: BRUTAL,GRUESOME and INTENSE! The film is gorier & more unrelenting than its predecessor from 2003. And actually we learn almost from the start, that Leatherface isn't the antagonist who got the whole grisly ball of wax rolling, it was his Uncle-the Sheriff wannabe (played of course by Lee Remey). We are shown the would-be mother of Thomas Hewitt (aka Leatherface) giving birth to the deformed child right on the floor of the slaughterhouse where she works. She abandons (well, we are led to believe it was her) said child in the dumpster behind the slaughterhouse where he is subsequently discovered by a hobo woman & taken to his permanent place of residence. From there, we are shown snapshot glimpses of his early childhood (I use this next term very loosely) "development." Fast forward to 1969, where little Tommy is now 30 years old, face covered virtually all the time with a dingy blue scarf, and of course he is employed at the local slaughterhouse where he's referred to in usually hush tones as "retard". All is "well" until the day when the place is shut down by the Texas Board of Health for obvious & serious health code violations. The little town down in Texas is now a ghostville USA because of the plant closing and the only inhabitants left are the deranged Hewitt clan (sounds just like Michigan under Governor Granholm-LOL). During the remainder of the film we see how dear old Uncle transforms little Tommy from a mere butcher of dead animals, into the chainsaw wielding maniac we've all come to know & love so well. And as a pleasant bonus, we also are given glimpses into why the "Sheriff" is such a twisted wacko. TCM for what it lacks in suspense, it more than makes up for with gruesome deaths, intensity, some gore & sheer madness. Wait till you see how the old dude in the wheelchair (from TCM 03) gets in that exact condition (both shocking & hilarious). Some of the scenes do mirror those from the original (dinner table scene from TCM 74) & others from TCM 03. So yes, a little of TCM the Beginning will feel like 'old hat' but then again we're not talking Shakesphere here. I also think many will be surprised at the ending of this film. Is "Texas Chainsaw Massacre; The Beginning" as good as TCM 74?-NO! But it does offer one thing I wish the original 74 version had done. We find out exactly why, the family are cannibals & it has nothing to do with having the best bar-b-que either. This film is a good (not great)installment in the series. My only real complaint outside of the lack of suspense, is that we are never really shown Leatherface's mug. I can't decide if that is a good thing or not or intentional on the directors part to perhaps keep the mysterious aura of Leatherface intact. Side note: I do hope this is the last of the TCM films because I feel there is nothing left of interest to do with this franchise that we haven't already seen.

BloodStone's Recommendation: A good, noteworthy addition to the TCM legacy & definitely worth a look.

BloodStone's Rating: 8.0
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dark, Violent, Twisted
deerhunterm18 May 2013
When I saw the 2003 remake of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I immediately became hooked on the Texas Chainsaw movies. When I heard there was a prequel being made I was skeptical, like most fans probably were, since remakes are usually terrible attempts to make money off of an original movie that was successful. After seeing this movie, I can safely say that it is one of the scariest, brutal, depressing, dark, emotionally taxing horror movies I have ever seen. What makes this movie stand above the rest are the characters. Jordana Brewster, Taylor Handley, Diora Baird, and Matt Bomer (the four main victims of the Hewitt families brutality) play their parts extremely well. The characters are certainly like-able and they give the viewer no reason to "want them to die" or to not care when they are disposed of in the worst way. Jordana Brewster and Matt Bomer are a couple in the movie and in the beginning of the movie they talk about how many kids they want and Bomer tells Brewster that he will never leave her. It's hard to watch good on screen chemistry like this and then watch them meet their demise later in the movie. It honestly made me feel bad for them, they had their entire lives planned and by no means were deserving of the fate they became. The hardest scene in the movie to watch is when Bomer is nailed down to a table and Brewster is trying to desperately to save him. Leatherface is heard coming down the stairs and Brewster is forced to hide under the table that her loving boyfriend (Bomer) is nailed to. Leatherface gives Bomer a look of hatred then fires up his chainsaw and plunges it deep into Bomer, all the way through the table, so that Brewster is not getting sprayed with the blood of the man she loves. This is just a hard scene to watch (not because of the gore) but because I honestly just felt bad for Brewster knowing that her boyfriend was being brutally murdered right above her head and their was nothing she could do about it. Another thing that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning has going for it is that there is no nudity or pointless sex scenes for the sake of filling up the R-rating. This film does not want to satisfy 16 year old boys need to see nude girls, instead it wants to scare the hell out of them. After about the second or third murder, you can see the hope in Brewster's character just start to diminish. The lighting and camera angles help to add to this sense of "no hope" for the remaining characters and if you stop for a second and put yourself in Brewster's shoes, you really start to understand how hopelessness she must feel at this point in the movie. Now of course this movie is not PERFECT, there are a few minor flaws here and there (I wont add them so that you are not looking for them when you watch the movie for the first time) but in my opinion there are so many worse horror movies out nowadays. See this movie!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great
umar900022 January 2007
This movie is awesome. The characters have managed to portrait there emotions to a degree of 100%. Which is rare. If this movie was out before Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2003) i'm sure Texas CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2003) would have been a great Hit. With the momentum created by this movie. And it's great to see how the movie flows as a whole with no break in the sequence of emotion being shown. The music is all so well taught of allowing us to be at the edge of are seats with anticipation and excitement. And last but not least what can i say that u guys who ever's out there should watch it and see weather i am telling the truth. It would be also fun to watch it in the dark.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Saw is back
jed-estes8 October 2006
I would like it be stated first that I really hated the last two Texas Chainsaw movies. Those being the remake and Next Generation. This one however being a prequel to the remake had a raw intensity that I had not seen in years and I loved it. I still like the first three chainsaws better but this was a step up to the old days. R. Lee Ermy brought something new to his performance in this that I felt was vastly lacking in his first attempt and that was a caring of the series. It seemed like the role fit him more in this. Andrew Byrinasli or however you spell it, is cool now because he is the first person ever to play Leatherface twice now, go Andrew. Go see this movie it is cool.
33 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
wow
TrottingTeapot398 October 2006
all i can say is wow. This movie was great. the ending was awesome when leather face is in the back of the car and cut right into her seat with the chainsaw. the saw went right throw her stomach and she crashes into a police man and a person. then she dies. the coolest part about the ending was the walkout when leather face walks back to his house. there was another part at the beginning when leather face hammers his boss with a slug hammer into his body and breaks all his bones so he can't move then smashes his head

i think this movie was the best of the series next to the original i give it a 10/10
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Ugliest Thing Ever Seen
Claudio Carvalho30 August 2007
In August, 1939, a worker has an abortion while working in a slaughterhouse and dies. The deformed baby is dumped in a garbage container and found by a beggar later, who brings him home. Along the years, the freak creature called Thomas is raised by the Hewitt family in spite of having psychological problems, working in a meat plant. In July, 1969, when the facility is closed, the inhabitants move to other places, but the deformed insane Thomas kills the foreman. His deranged stepfather executes the sheriff that is going to arrest Thomas, and assumes his identity, wearing his clothes, driving his car though the roads in Texas and entitling himself as Sheriff Hoyt (R. Lee Ermey). Meanwhile, the brothers Eric (Matt Bomer) and Dean (Taylor Handley) are traveling in a Jeep with their girlfriends Christie (Jordana Brewster) and Bailey (Diora Baird), Eric to serve in Vietnam and Dean escaping to Mexico. When the group has a car accident, Hoyt arrests Eric, Dean and Bailey and brings them to his house. Christie follows them trying to rescue the trio, trapped in the house of sadistic and insane cannibals, in a trip of horror and gore.

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning" is a great prequel to the classic "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". The story gives a good explanation to the origins of Leatherface, "the ugliest thing ever seen", and the movie is extremely violent and gore, with touches of surrealism. R. Lee Ermey has a great performance in the role of the deranged leader of the Hewitt Family. I had a very low expectation with this film and in the end I had a very pleasant surprise. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "O Massacre da Serra Elétrica: O Início" ("The Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning")
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
beats the remake to death...literally!
dtoonotblaidke8 October 2006
I loved this movie in all of it's brutal, insane glory! From beginning to end, the movie was far more intense and scary than the remake. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved the remake. I honestly didn't think that this movie would be that good though. I mean, the remake kind of started a new genre of horror (whether people liked it or not). BUT 'The Beginning' basically beats the remake to death...literally! While the 2003 Texas Chainsaw had some bloody parts and was very in your face, the new one doesn't shy away from ANYTHING! i mean, IMDb says that 17 scenes were edited to get an R...I still have NO idea how this movie got an R rating. Every death is basically by chainsaw, with blood, guts and screaming galore. My friend, who I saw 'The beginning' with last night HTED and i mean HATED the 2003 remake. She laughed her head off. This one left her speechless. This movie reminds us what true horror REALLY is! The directing is amazing, the acting, music and scares are incredible and Leatherface is basically my new favorite horror villain, hands down. Did you enjoy the remake? You'll LOVE this movie! I gave it a 10. It's good to see Hollywood at least trying to give us some decent scary movies.
An Absolute Nightmare In The Excercise Of Human Torture
michaelm19797 October 2006
We went to see this movie last night and afterwards realized that the 2003 remake of the horror classic is quite tame compared to this. It's incredible how viceral horror/slasher movies have become for this generation.

The film starts off in a slaughterhouse and a monster is born. The quick run up of how leatherface became a "man" during the credits was impressive. The slaughterhouse in which he works gets shut down. He's got to find some new meat to chop. He sure as hell does.

On a road trip across Texas, four friends run into trouble with a biker gang and as a result have an accident and run into the vicious "Sheriff Hoyt". As the female lead, Chrissie, tries to track down her friends that the sheriff has taken to that iconic house of the Hewitt residence, she's faced with many obsticles on the way, trying not to get caught. She fails and the unbelievable begins.

The movie takes the audience on an explicitly VIOLENT journey and never ceases to grab you by the jugular. The visuals are almost too tense to bare and the acting is fantastic by the lead characters and R. Lee Ermey makes you cringe at the sight of him and at the sound of his viciously demanding tone.

Definitely a step up from the PG-13 fare that director Jonathan Liebsman of "Darkness Falls" is more associated with. The story of how leatherface became such a monster is well examined. Also some interesting bits in the film to help one understand some of the circumstances in the 2003 remake are brought to surface.

In conclusion, if you're a horror buff and like your slasher/horror flicks to have no holds barred terror throughout, this is the HALLOWEEN ticket for you. Be warned however, if you were disturbed by the 1973 original, this film gives the term a whole new meaning.
awesome prequel
mrc_68586 October 2006
If you likes the first one (really the sequel) then you will love the prequel!!!Well done and way more disgusting than the 2003 flick!! Love them both, but was really pumped about this one!! The actors were very intense and seemed to fit their parts well. Jordana was really good!! She made me feel the fear. The movie touched on some basic questions one may have had in the sequel and, yet, added new twist to the distorted family in the sequel. Kind of wanted to know where the girl walking down the dirt road in the beginning of the 2003 movie came from and what her story was...I guess that was my ONLY disappointment. Bottom line...it was really good!!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could have and should have been better
pickferd7 October 2006
I was hesitant to see this movie, but after I saw the remake of the first one, I decided to give this movie a chance. I was hoping for a somewhat scary movie with a mediocre plot, so expectations were not high. Using these two criteria, this movie was terrible. Instead of being scary, Texas Chainsaw was just disturbing; the amount of blood and beatings that were actually shown was quite gross, and this seemed like an ill-attempt to cover the fact that there was no real plot and crappy dialog.Granted, I didn't expect an elaborate plot development, but the movie should have been less predictable and use fewer cliché scary techniques (like looking through a window and the bad person suddenly showing up). Texas Chainsaaw could have been done properly to really scare the audience, instead it was gory, predictable, and boring. Save your money and time and go see something else.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this