Transformers (2007) Poster

(2007)

1,488 Reviews
Well worth watching for the visual effects alone!
TheLittleSongbird11 November 2009
When I saw Transformers, I will admit I wasn't expecting much. And you know what I thought it was a good movie. It is far from the best movie ever made, but it is well worth watching for a number of reasons.

The best thing about the movie was the visual/special effects. They were absolutely mind-blowing, and the whole movie is worth the look just for them alone. And the robots especially Megatron were convincing enough, and the movements weren't jerky in any way. The sound is absolutely terrific, and the music is great. The storyline is original, fast-paced and gripping on the most part. There is some nice humour thrown into the mix, however the dialogue for me was a little too cheesy in places.

The performances are spirited and bring a sense of fun to the proceedings. Shia LeBoeuf brings some charisma and appeal to the title role of Sam, and Megan Fox is hot. John Tuturro has fun in his role, and Kevin Dunn and Julie White are both hilarious as Sam's parents. Hugo Weaving is superb as Megatron, and Peter Cullen makes the most of his character Optimus Prime. In fact, the only weak performance came from the talented Jon Voight, he just seemed out of place. And while there are plenty of visual thrills, I wasn't a massive fan of Michael Bay's direction, it just seemed as though the visuals, story and performances were doing the work and Bay was just there making sure it was all going to plan.

Overall, it is flawed but Transformers while not the best or worst of its genre is worth the look, especially if you are looking for terrific visuals, great sound and a good story. That way, if you overlook the flaws it does indeed have, you are in for a treat. 7/10 Bethany Cox
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action Packed and Funny at Times,
lesleyharris301 October 2013
Transformers is a great movie with a pretty good storyline and a decent cast.It is a bit long but the two and a half hours fly by.I enjoyed the action in the movie,although it did go on a bit too long many times,sometimes so much that you would forget whats happening,but it is very well directed by Michael Bay.I enjoyed Shia LaBeouf a lot in this,but,although she is very attractive,Megan Fox is not a very good actress,I feel like she just says her lines and she probably wouldn't have got in to acting if it wasn't for how good looking she is,I definitely think a better actress like Emma Stone or Amanda Seyfried could have put in a better performance as this character.The best part for me is without a doubt the robots themselves,Optimus Prime,Bumblebee and the rest of the Autobots and Decepticons are beautifully animated and the voice work is outstanding.While Transformers has many flaws,its still very enjoyable and I would recommend it to all fans of Michael Bay and the Transformers in general.

A long fighting race of robots,the Autobots and the Decepticons,head to Earth and one young teenager might be able to fix things.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Transformers
MR-ODIN5 March 2020
Steven Spielberg and Michael Bay team up for the exciting and action packed blockbuster Transformers. Earth becomes caught up in a war between two groups of alien robots that have come in search of a device that gave life to their planet. That cast includes Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, John Turturro, and Jon Voight, who all bring a certain charisma to the film. But the real stars of the film are the special effects, which are amazing. And Michael Bay does an excellent job at delivering high energy action sequences that are visually stunning. The writing is exceptionally poor and the film goes on for far too long, but the action and the visual effects keep the audience engaged. Transformers is messy and cheesy, and sophomoric...but it's also a lot of fun and immensely entertaining.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Popcorn entertainment
thatheo21 August 2007
No, it is not a smart movie, or a well written one, but this movie certainly has it's goods, and one can hardly deny it is fairly entertaining.

The goods were pretty obvious. Stunning visuals, brilliant editing, mind-blowing set pieces, say about mister Bay what you will, he has always had an eye for the visual. And this is an absolute plus to all his work, basically. But we can also state that Bay's previous work, with a few exception, was nonetheless fairly disappointing. Transformers went further than just the visual shebang.

The movie had a good sense of humor too. It was clear that everyone knew that one can hardly take a few car robots seriously, and so no one didn't. Which is a good thing. It made the movie one hell of a lot funnier. The actor's were cool too. Shia LaBouf is a great lead role, John Turturro, John Voight, Anthony Anders and others had really cool side roles, and they made the movie worthwhile.

The only downs were the ridiculousness that often crawled onto the screen, of course fault to the slightly preposterous script. Usually I cringe with issues like these, but aforementioned points somehow made the movie awfully amusing. A great watch, especially in the cinemas, but maybe somewhat less entertaining to watch on a TV. be warned
37 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much more than I expected
gamergcfan28 June 2015
I expected this to be an action movie only, but it also has a lot of hilarious jokes similar to American Pie, such as when the robots were making lots of noise, Sam's parents asked him something embarrassing. There is some action, but there is also drama. At least the action and drama aren't so bad. However, the characters weren't so likable. Megan Fox was just eye candy (yes, she was hot, at least) and Shia LaBeouf was not a likable character.

Pros:

• Really funny

• Good action

Cons:

• Characters aren't so likable

Review: 8
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wild/Loud Summer Fun w/Robots
brando64717 August 2009
I was not a Transformers kid when I grew up in the 80's and I think that's why I wasn't so hard on Michael Bay's film when I caught it in the summer of 2007. Going into the film for the first time, the only characters I knew by name were Optimus Prime, Megatron, and Bumblebee (and I only knew of him through the mention of friends). So, without having the fanboy mentality, I was able to enjoy the movie as it was...and I did. I thought it was a fun action flick and one of the best popcorn movies from the year. Based on the Hasbro toyline and it's resulting animated series/comics, the film follows high-schooler Sam Witwicky who discovers his Camaro is a shape-shifting alien robot; he is soon brought into the middle of a war between the Autobots and the Decepticons, warring factions of a race of sentient robots.

Let's be honest. The only things that matter about this movie are the special effects and the action sequences. ILM did a fantastic job with the Transformers in this film. The robots look amazing and their transformations are seamless. I've heard that some classic fans aren't satisfied with their designs but I felt they did a good job adding what realism they could to giant fighting robots. The action sequences aren't as abundant as one would expect, but I'm not complaining. I felt there were enough action scenes without going overboard and drowning out story. The battles feel epic and they aren't heavily edited into quick jump cuts so you can still understand what is going on.

The cast does an adequate job and keep the movie from feeling B-grade. Shia LaBeouf was charismatic and had a good sense of comedic timing; John Turturro was a fun addition as the mental Sector 7 agent Simmons. Jon Voight seemed almost out of place in the film, though added a bit of class. I know there have been a lot of complaints about human characters in the movie, but it's a necessary element and I'm not complaining. The supporting cast did a great job; my favorites had to be Kevin Dunn and Julie White as Sam's eccentric parents. I felt the movie shouldn't have gone over 2 hours as it does begin to strain on the patience after a while but it still made for a fun ride.
62 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its really good
catpantry11 April 2020
You know that part of being human where you need things to matter, a lot. Theres no escape from it. This movie does it for me and can satisfy anyone else. Strong dramatic decision made in this one. Powerful time stunning move when Seeker climbs on the bars of a cesna plane and salutes walking by people who don't know who he is.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything I could have asked as huge fan
peternaulls9 August 2020
It's August 9th 2020. I am watching this again for the 100th time. Never thought about reviewing it until now. As a massive fan in the 80s I was obsessed with the Comics (have them all) the toys and the tv cartoon. When I learned this was being made I had zero expectations except the trailers making it look something special. It really did not disappoint. The CGIof the robots is brilliant. The story is something that falls in line with the source material which okay isn't the most amazing of stories however it's a modern twist with elements of subtle comedy a real babe in Megan and a badass Megatron. I know people were upset with the decision to scrap Megatron turning into a gun but how would it have worked? This is by far the best of all the movies made so far. If you are a real fan you'll appreciate the efforts made I know I am.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget those pompous naysayers who are rapped up in hollywood feminist agenda, who seem to hate the movie just for being a Michael Bay movie. This is a super fun movie.
CoolJL21 February 2018
Michael Bay has become something of a love to hate guy among certain section of critics, namely those who wants to promote politically correct feminist agenda who think they are better than others and want to inflict their ideals on others.

Forget those idiots, just watch the movie for what it is, which is a super fun action pack movie which just about anyone can enjoy. Shia Labeouf is fabulous in this movie and the chemistry between him and Megan fox is great. And lets not forget the Transformers themslves which, even after 10 years, the visuals on these robots are still some of the best you'll ever see.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AWESOME MOVIE! Watch 10 blockbusters action in one movie!
skywalker_200311 December 2020
I really love that movie! a masterpiece of Sci-fi genre with amazing visual effects and cutting edge action sequences by action mastermind Michael Bay. I can't remember how many times have watched that movie but every time i want to have fun and enjoy amazing visuals i try Transformers 2007 again. But annoying thing about the movie is that academy ignored that amazing visual effects and gave Oscar to garbage movie named golden comps. shame on you academy. brainless and stupid people of academy are blind to awesome stuff like TRANSFORMERS. Thank you dear Michael Bay!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well
b-22478-9211528 March 2020
This is the first science fiction movie I watched. I like it very much. I like Bumblebee.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My childhood up on screen....sort of
bh_tafe318 September 2012
For me just hearing the words "Autobot" and "Decepticon" brings back so many childhood memories. I was a massive fan of the G1 cartoons (never watched any of the spin-offs) and the Marvel comic books from the UK and US. The cartoon appealed to me as a child, while the comics took the mythos deeper in my teenage years with cosmic battles between Gods, a yin/ yang conversation regarding why certain Transformers are inherently good or evil. It was cracking stuff and it was with a lot of excitement that I greeted news of a new big budget movie.

Transformers (2007) delivered! OK, so they fiddled with the origin story a little bit, but so do most of the different versions of the show. I thought they got the major characters spot on. Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream were all the same characters as in the TV show and comics. I really liked the fact that Bumblebee could only communicate through radio signals, and, after the execrable scene introducing the minor autobot characters and Optimus Prime's various sermons, really wish that had been the case for all of the autobots. The decepticons are far more interesting, though we see nowhere near enough of Starscream. Megatron and Soundwave are both effective and the best realised characterisations in the film.

The humans in the story all do a good job. Shia Lebeouf had not yet been over exposed, and is actually quite entertaining as Spike. Megan Fox was a smoking hot brunette bombshell, still playing a stereotype (hot girl with a blokey hobby who deep down just wants to fit in), but at least not a damsel in distress as we typically see in these films. Spike's parents are awkward, but funny. John Turtorro's character seems to have accidentally stumbled into this film during a coffee break from a Coen brothers film. He seems like he has something much more interesting to do in an edgier film than this one. But his presence, while out of place, is welcome.

My big complaint with this is that the the film, after doing a nice job of setting up for a finale, seems to go in light speed in its last twenty minutes. It's often difficult to tell who's fighting who. There's also a death scene that we are supposed to feel sad about, involving a character who's been in a handful of scenes, and had a maximum of two lines of clichéd stereotyped dialogue. The resolution is neat and sets up well for a sequel. Overall, this was a reasonably faithful big screen portrayal of the characters I loved growing up, if not the story. The arrival sequence, and Armageddon-ish soundtrack are both breathtaking and really hammer home a sense of awe and wonder as the Autobots arrive. The awkward attempts by Prime to communicate with humanity are funny. The human characters, apart from Turtorro (who acts like no human I've ever met) all seem to react to the Transformers and their war in the way a normal human being would react. It is a very different back story and beloved elements like the Autobot and decepticons Volcano and underwater bases are lost. But what's left is a the characters we love fighting out the same war, in a way a new generation will find accessible, and didn't alienate me, well not in this original version anyway. I am more than happy to share Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee with a new generation of fans.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You get what you pay for.
Benjamin-M-Weilert26 May 2019
If you want a movie full of explosions and fighting robots, this is the movie you need to see. Although, it would have been a shorter movie if they didn't go slo-mo during a lot of the fight scenes (which is all right, because it's cool).
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great visual and sound effects, lots of humour and a lot of flaws.
Christopher_Reid30 June 2007
Transformers is a very mixed bag. There are great things about it and there are some not-so-great things about it...

The good:

• The visual effects. Perhaps the best special effects I've ever seen in a movie. The transformations are amazing not to mention super-awesome. The CGI fits in seamlessly with the live action and it's easy to forget how logistically difficult a lot of it would have been to film.

• The sound design. The sound effects complement the action perfectly making everything twice as exciting. Probably less acknowledged is the alien atmosphere created by some of the score which heightens the tension very effectively and probably without the majority of the audience noticing.

• Shia LeBeouf. Without him the movie wouldn't be nearly as engaging. He has natural comic timing and is probably second to none in expressing disbelief of the "holy crap, there's a giant alien robot transforming in front of me" variety.

• The humour. Transformers is funnier than most good comedies which I was not expecting in the least. The transformers themselves are often funnier than they are impressive.

• The Decepticons. Man are they cool. The opening scene is particularly kick-arse.

The bad:

• Megan Fox. If hot means "can't act and doesn't weigh much" then yes, she's very hot. It's not a good sign if you want one of the main characters to die or at least get out of the way and stop trying to act. Her performance just seemed very shallow and probably wasn't helped by her dialogue.

• The script. Although the overall storyline is good, some of the dialogue is terrible. Too much of the film is spent on mumbo jumbo technical explanations the audience just doesn't care about. The less serious parts of the script work very well though.

• Michael Bay. Although some of the action scenes are very well put together and the humorous parts are timed very well, Bay can't help but ruin some of the scenes with unnecessarily flashy editing and over the top drama accompanied by none-too-subtle dramatic music. It's not that Michael Bay's style is too loud, it's that it's too clichéd.

• The music. Nothing new here (other than the alien sounding parts). Practically rips of Batman Begins and is otherwise forgettable. The music should enhance the film by bringing out interesting themes or emotions, not force feeding us the drama we can plainly see on the screen in super slow motion.

The ugly:

• Megatron. He's ugly. And super cool.

So, my verdict? The good outweighs the bad pretty comfortably. If you took out the bad you might even have a classic on your hands. Instead you get revolutionary action scenes and some great comedy with Michael Bay's unique brand of mediocre directing sprinkled throughout.
714 out of 1,250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first and the only best!
ivo-cobra87 November 2015
Transformers (2007) is the only best one science fiction action film of the last three movies that I enjoy. Okay it is not the greatest or the best science fiction film but it is still a good one. It's the only, only movie I watch several times. Transformers 2 I watch three times in a row so far and that movie made me exhausted, Transformers 3 I watch it twice. Once on the computer and once on the DVD I rent it in the Library. I have the third movie on DVD till today I haven't watch that DVD and I think I give 13£ for it.I have enjoyed this movie much better than the last three. In Transformers I loved the car chases with Sam, how the story began, than the war and the chase for the glasses All Spark. I love it. I love actor Jon Voight. Now I know why he did not return in the sequels. The movie was really awesome and I can't say anything bad about it. It had a great plot great action and great excitement.

This movie is great out of the four, which I think Age of Extinction is the worst one so far, over too long. Shia does an amazing job, the soundtrack is awesome and the special effects/sounds are "out of this world." I REALLY Love Transformers! A big fan of the original cartoon I grew up with the cartoon's as a kid. Could it only disappoint? Especially after all those less than OK "second generations" of the Transformers tale, and seeing that everyone's favorite Bumblebee character was no longer a VW bug, but a Camaro? Well, it was fantastic! It was great to see some of the characters adapt and come to life in this version, and the movie provides great action, really good humor and plenty of realistic effects for anyone, not just fans of the old collectibles. But it can only be even more exciting for fans when they are finally re-introduced to Megatron, Optimus, Jazz and more. The film does a great job of creating the feeling of helplessness for humans, which would only make sense against technology like the Transformers. I couldn't help buy find my hands continuously gripping the arm rests tighter, and that was during my second watch! Minus a few cheesy scenarios or brief moments that seem to creep into many an action movie.

The Music score by Steve Jablonsky was awesome, I love all the music soundtracks in the film. Transformers is Michael Bay's first attempt of making of a Transformer movie and it succeeds. I saw this film and I was blown away, not only by the story, but how good the CGI of those robots were, these robots were looking like they were walking downtown In Los Angeles, they didn't look like CGI at all. They looked like realistic robots and that was great okay. For a movie that was under $2,000,000 that is right this film cost $150.000.000 and the robots looks that sweet, it was just great okay. The best thing about this film is not Michael bay heavy, you know what that means? It means there is no stupid and I mean stupid dialogues spoken trough the whole movie, the dialogues that was spoke trough whole this movie smart and somewhat funny in most parts funny mainly, it wasn't too over the top were feels like is not funny, that is stupid. Action in this movie is good, the movie is well paced at 2 Hrs. 24 Mins. is not the longest one that was the fourth one. Made was by Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures, they a lot and I mean a lot of Disney channel stars in in this film you got a Arwin (Brian Stepanek) from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and that fat blonde boy that was talking about Armageddon. I think that was a joke that Michael Bay put on him self, this is hundred times better than Armageddon, and I was you mean Aramgeddon the film or the joke, because that was good poke, because Armageddon was awful, that was great I like that part.

The mythology that was made for director Michael Bay. This is the beginning of the trilogy that tells the story of the long, galactic feud between the Autobots and their nemesis, the Decepticons. As a child of the '80's, how could you not love Transformers? I love it. I love the science action mythology flick of the first film, which did great.

The interstellar battle between the Autobots and Decepticons rains destruction down on planet Earth as director Michael Bay adapts Hasbro and Takara's popular Transformers franchise into a big-budget, live-action summer tent-pole extravaganza in this ambitious sci-fi action feature starring Shia LaBeouf, Tyrese Gibson, Bernie Mac, John Turturro, Jon Voight, and, of course, Optimus Prime and Megatron. Enormous aliens have chosen the third rock from the sun as their ultimate battleground, and as the villainous Decepticons struggle to obtain the key to unlimited power, a young Earthling named Sam Witwicky (LaBeouf) may stand as mankind's last hope for survival.

I am giving it a 10/10 It is not the greatest movie or the best one but it is a good entertaining film.

Transformers is a 2007 American science fiction action film based on the Transformers toy line. The film, which combines computer animation with live-action, is directed by Michael Bay, with Steven Spielberg serving as executive producer.

10/10 Score: A Studio: DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Pictures Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson, Rachel Taylor, Anthony Anderson, John Turturro, Jon Voight, Peter Cullen, Hugo Weaving Director: Michael Bay Producers: Don Murphy, Tom DeSanto, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Ian Bryce, Steven Spielberg Screenplay: Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman Story by John Rogers, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 2 Hrs. 24 Mins. Budget: $150.000.000 Box Office: $709,709,780
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boom.kerplaw! Boom!
drpainters10 April 2021
This has a decent storyline compared to the rest and the action, cgi and sound effects are all top notch. Watching in 4k with Atmos and it's just amazing. Def worth the watch of this and series for any action fan. Also check out battleship for similar movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best transformers movie
matthewrowden-0623223 March 2020
Transformers is a really good movie it's got really good action scenes it's got the best plot and good character development and the action scenes are well spaced out and an exceptional third act but the best part of the movie is megatron
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escapism Film-Making At Its Finest
zkonedog7 March 2017
Sometimes (probably more often than not in this day and age), movies are not meant to be intensely analyzed and picked apart. If one were to do that to "Transformers", the review would likely come back a negative one. However, this flick requires its viewers to be one simple thing: sit back and enjoy the ride! If that can be done, "Transformers" will thoroughly entertain you.

For a basic plot summary, "Transformers" focuses on high school student Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf). While leading a relatively normal teenage life and trying to get the "hot girl" of his dreams Mikaela Barnes (Megan Fox), Sam is swept into an invasion of Earth by the evil Decepticons transformer robots. Allying with the U.S. government and the benevolent Autobots, Sam becomes central to the action due to his family lineage.

If one could ever classify a film as "whiz-bang", this one be the textbook definition of that statement. It has everything most cinema fans want: pulse-pounding action, cool gadgets, romance, and a script that never takes a down moment...the action is always moving forward.

What makes "Transformers" a truly quality experience, however, is the fact that the plot and characters contain a great deal of heart. The plot isn't Shakespeare, of course, but who can't relate to "good vs. evil"? LaBeouf is absolutely perfect as Witwicky, while Fox turned herself into a national sex symbol simply by playing "that hot girl from high school that all the boys lusted over" & leaning over the engine of a car (!). Again, a set of characters that most individuals can relate to.

Overall, "Transformers" will sweep you away if you can let it. Instead of nit-picking or analyzing "the small stuff", this is one to "get your popcorn ready" for!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch this if you know what you are in for
byrann_gowan27 October 2011
For those of you who are not fans of Michael Bay: for starters, do not watch this movie. It's really as simple as that. But, I've read some of the negative comments on this film, and it baffles me to read that all this film consists of is hot girls, hot action, and not the greatest acting. Come on, guys. This is a Michael Bay film, and let me emphasize the words MICHAEL BAY. When I think about him, I think about entertainment, and entertainment only, because that is what his films are about. With films like this, I don't go in expecting some great story, with amazing dialogue. This movie is not academy award worthy, nor should it be. This is an action film, that's what it's meant to be, and when it comes to action films, Bay knows how to deliver. Again, the storyline could be better, and Megan Fox could use some acting lessons, but like I said, when you watch these movies, you should watch them for entertainment. So, if you know what this film delivers, and you don't like Michael Bay, then by all means, skip this movie. But, if you do end up watching this movie, and say that it's nothing but a bunch of clanging metal and hot girls, well then, welcome to the world of Michael Bay. I saw it in theatres back in 2007, I went with an open mind, and I enjoyed it. 9/10 for me.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the best CGI flick I have seen
trashgang17 December 2012
This was a must see when it came out and I've just watched it again 5 years later and still it is one of the best CGI flicks I have seen so far. There's nothing else special in this sci-fi flick to see, just watch it for the effects.

The story itself wasn't that weak at all a thing we don't see that often with such kind of flicks. And even the acting was believable. Shia LaBeouf (Sam Witwicky) did a nice job here as the main lead. Of course he's the looser here and becomes the hero, that you could tell even as the flick isn't started yet. His opponent Megan Fox (Mikaela Banes) became the new big thing after Transformers although she was a bit too young aged 21. But she was voted already as one of the sexiest girls on our planet. The producers new it and she was more sexy in the next episode but it also became her downfall.

I enjoyed it a lot with all the action going on between the soldiers and the Transformers but also the comedy added. Here and there you will have your laughs.

But if you want to see the best CGI so far then see Transformers.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 5/5 story 3/5 Comedy 1/5
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best action film in a while!
paulclaassen12 May 2019
Hats off to Michael Bay, who went beyond anything - or any visuals - we've seen before to bring us this action fantasy spectacle. Almost every scene is masterfully done. The film is visually stunning and the action scenes are INCREDIBLE! The film combines so many elements of danger and suspense, and its also actually really funny during the lighthearted moments. It blends perfectly.

Shia LaBeouf is very good in this film. The score by Steve Jablonsky is also really good and very effective. For a film with a running time of 144 minutes there literally never was a dull moment, as it kept the viewer engaged and captivated all the time. There honestly hasn't been an exciting action film like this is a while - certainly not on this level! Bloody hell, it was awesome! This was an absolute delight and feast to watch. Yeah, this is how you start a multi-billion dollar franchise!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I bought a car. It turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?"
Al_The_Strange4 July 2011
At the release of this film, 21 years have passed since the animated film came out. In all that time, we've seen two decades worth of cheesy action films, spirited adventures, imaginative sci-fi, and immense special-effects development. And with director Michael Bay fine-tuning his larger-than-life work style and sense of grandeur, it seems that cinematic fate has cumulated in the creation of this epic film. For fans of the classic cartoons or modern action junkies, the film delivers all the way; the action starts off strong and intense, and hardly lets up. Some scenes are quite awe-inspiring; the opening base attack, the highway chase, the city battle are among the best action scenes in any film. The scope and scale is impressive. The pacing is relentlessly fast. The humor is genuinely amusing and helps keep things light and fresh. It's every bit as big, original, and entertaining as some of the best blockbusters out there, and I think one would be hard-pressed to be bored by it.

The story for this could probably be picked apart easily by the most critical viewers (it's especially odd seeing a number of scenes turning from day to night in a matter of seconds). But if you're able and willing to forgive the film for its faults, it is a decently-structured plot with a fine cast of characters. It's pretty fun watching the film kick off with the relationship between a boy and his car; but heck, intergalactic robot war is pretty fun too.

The film has awesome photography; there must be thousands of gorgeous postcard-worthy shots throughout. Some scenes are a little shaky and editing is pretty darn fast; it might be a major turn-off for some folks, and I do believe it does make the actual transformers harder to see. But it is still mostly coherent, and helps keep the pacing up. Acting is…what it is. Shia LaBeouf borders on being annoying, but for his character it's fitting. Megan Fox is a little iffy in this role, but she is a looker. I enjoy Josh Duhamel in his role; Tyrese Gibson and Zack Ward are pretty fun in their parts. I didn't like John Turturro at first, but he grew on me. And of course, the voice-acting (including the talents of Peter Cullen and Hugo Weaving) is great. Production value is insanely high, featuring top-notch sets, props, costumes, and special effects; it's also noteworthy for implementing a huge amount of authentic military hardware and real soldiers in action. Music is pretty darn cool too.

Recommended! 4.5/5 (entertainment: 5/5, story: 4/5, film: 4/5)
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sick
m-499985 February 2019
Most awesome film I had watched that year and still is good to watch again best film of my childhood and is full of some good action scenes throughout
30 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brain - roll out! Fun - roll in!
lee_a_scott12 August 2007
After a series of disappointments this summer (Spidey 3, Pirates 3, FF2) I was not massively optimistic about this one, especially given the involvement of Michael Bay, despite the decent advance press I'd seen. Well, how wrong was I? This movie absolutely nails it, Bay does a terrific job, Shia LaBeouf is superb, the script is (deliberately) hilarious and the robots…ahh, the robots! They're uniformly magnificent, setting a new high-water mark for CGI, and adding everything that they should to this thrill-ride. Speaking as a Transformers G1 toy geek (I can freely quote the mottos from the little stats card that was on the boxes – and Megatron was my favourite) I am totally at ease with the design and vehicle changes that have been made – movies are not toys and it isn't the 80s. Everyone should go see this film to make sure that they do the decent thing and start prepping the sequel immediately!
106 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
Calicodreamin8 May 2020
I remember this being so unique and cool when it first came out, and it still gives off the same vibes today. The action and CGI are amazing, the acting is well done, the actors and robots are well cast. It's a Micheal Bay movie, so of course it's just a bit too long. But the action keeps amped up throughout the entire movie. A one of a kind action/robot movie. Auto bots, roll out.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.