Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) Poster

Incredible comedy
masonsaul23 April 2020
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Rikcy Bobby is an incredible comedy that's gleefully stupid whilst also cleverly mocking the tropes and conventions of racing dramas. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are both incredible and have fantastic chemistry. Sacha Baron Cohen, Jane Lynch, Gary Cole and Michael Clarke Duncan are all great. It's consistently extremely funny even if a few jokes don't land. It's also well paced and Adam McKay's direction is excellent. Both the music by Alex Wurman and the soundtrack are really good.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic
nickcampbell-2846413 May 2021
An absolutely classic that holds to to this day. The movie has aged well and it's Will at his best. What isn't to love. A NASCAR movie with a deeper more comedic meaning.
Love it!
jrifas-130 April 2021
It's funny. Plain and simple. I continue to watch it over and over....and over. And I probably use at least one quote from the movie every single day.
The spiritual prequel to Step Brothers and Holmes and Watson
kingofdanerds12 March 2021
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is rather significant. Why? Because it is the first team up of Will Farrell and John C. Reily on the big screen. Released in 2006, Talladega Nights was released at a great time. Back when Will Farrell was at his height in the film industry and back when NASCAR was pretty popular. It only seemed that a movie should be made in hopes of making lots of money. And it did. Talladega Nights had a budget of $72.5 million and made back over double that amount. For the longest time I thought that Step Brothers was the better team up but since my opinion has slightly changed over that film alone, will Talladega Nights see a change in opinion?

Ricky Bobby has lived his whole life by the motto of "If you ain't first, you're last". Ricky Bobby is also a NASCAR driver and possibly the best there is. When a new race driver named Jean Girard comes to race, it seems that Ricky has met his match. A wreck occurs and Ricky is thought to be done with racing, but the Talladega race is coming around the corner, and Ricky wants to race. But most importantly, win.....

Again, for the longest time, I always saw Step Brothers as the better Reily and Ferrell film. But that has changed. I am not saying that this is leaps and bounds better than Step Brothers. I like Step Brothers and I like this film. But this film is not really a piece of art. The acting is fine. The actors feel right in their respective roles and to a point that I honestly forgot that Will Ferrell does not have a southern accent. Oscar worthy? No, considering the tough competition and what not, but still good. The characters themselves are fine too. They mostly follow the typical sterotypes which is something that some people say made NASCAR look bad. But, they all have chemistry and are loads of fun to watch. Especially Reily and Ferrell which is great that they did Step Brothers together. The story is considerably better in this film than Step Brothers as it is more complex and has an actual plot and what not. The comedy is good. Whereas Step Brothers took the really potty mouth approach, Talladega Nights is not quite as potty mouth with it's humor. Again, it is that dumb smart humor which actually works best in this film. Almost because it is a sort of satire in a way. I found myself laughing more than in Step Brothers which was the big deal about me changing my mind about how this film compares to Step Brothers. Not nearly as quotable as Step Brothers, but just the scenes by themselves are memorable.

Talladega Nights is a funny film. Some prefer Step Brothers over this film which is fine. If you are a fan of Will Ferrell and/or racing, this film should entertain you.
GREAT MOVIE
larsonroethling6 December 2020
FUNNY MOVIE, in one scene, when they are talking to somebody before the race at Talladega or Charlotte, you can see a jumbotron, on that screen they are interviewing a driver who just won a race in victory lane!
On fire
rebeckaflygare17 January 2020
Sorry sweet baby Jesus, but this is one of the funniest movies ever.
Going Fast
d-1101524 January 2020
Talladega nights is a nascar based film about a character Ricky Bobby who is a member of the nascar pit crew. One day at a race the driver doesn't show up, so they are desperate for a driver so Ricky steps up to the plate. It had been a dream for him growing, he had always wanted to "go fast". Ricky happily steps in And says "I wanna go fast" he hops in the driver's seat with no experience. He ends up doing well and gets 3rd place in his first race. Which impressed everyone from there on he continues to aspire as a driver.

The character of Ricky Bobby is played by Will Ferrell which is a perfect fit for the movie. Will Ferrell is a world renowned actor for his impressive work in comedy movies. Playing the role of an aspiring racer who is very wealthy and living a wild is exactly where he belongs. Ricky Bobby or Will Ferrell has done many famous comedies including the famous Step Brothers If you liked Step Brothers you would enjoy talladega nights. Both characters dale and brendon are in Talladega nights except Brennan is Rick Bobby and dale is Cal Naughton Jr. Directed by the same director Adam McKay. Adam has created another masterpiece in the comedy film industry. It has the same humor enjoyed in both movies. Also a similar plot can be seen two brother who lived at home since they were 40 to both becoming successful. Ricky Bobby is a pit crew member who aspires to be a professional nascar driver.

If you find Will Ferrell's other movies funny or if you enjoy Jim Carrey movies, this is definitely a must see for you. Much of the same humor can be observed from these actors. Similar to dumb and dumber the two friends who do everything together and aspire to be something. With the included humor along the way which many will enjoy.

Talladega Nights uses very crisp soundtracks of nascar and many tracking shots of Ricky Bobby's car. They also have Ricky day funny things says to the pit crew when they try to tell him what to do. It creates the effect that draws your eyes to Ricky Bobby's car. Gives the effect that Ricky Bobby is star of the show and he really is. With all of his crazy stunts that he pulls on the track to do the best possible in the race.

When Ricky wins his first race he's signs many autographs that he accidentally signs his assistants forehead. Although the movie is hilarious it could use more of a backstory on Ricky bobby. About his dream to become a Nascar Driver when he was little.

If you wanna laugh until u fart this is the movie for you. Filled with tons of Will Ferrell's amazing humor. You also will enjoy the plot of this movie a successful nascar driver with a model wife and a hilarious family. This is a must see if you enjoyed step brother or dumb and dumber.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only reason to watch NASCAR.
chaostheminyoy7 August 2021
Will Farrell, legendary. Perfectly sums up what my family in Mesquite, TX is like.
Car
bevo-136788 March 2021
Pretty funny for a ballad but not a lot of singing and dancing
Pretty funny movie
tuozee8 January 2021
There were some funny moments that made movie worth watching. Oddly everything except Nascar things were funny. Maybe Im too European to understand.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funniest movie in recent memory
davesjbb7 December 2020
Good comedies are hard to find and this one has tons of funny moments. Sacha Baron Cohen is great, on top of Farrell. The nasty kids are hilarious until they are reformed.
Going Fast
d-1101524 January 2020
Nascar is a thrilling sport which Talladega Nights portrays quite well. Most people don't think of nascar as thrilling but after watching Talladega Nights you might change your mind. It has a nice contrast between a thrilling plot and hilarious plot and dialogue.

Talladega nights is a nascar based film about a character Ricky Bobby who is a member of the Nascar pit crew. One day at a race the driver doesn't show up, so they are desperate for a driver so Ricky steps up to the plate. It had been a dream for him growing. He had always wanted to "go fast". Ricky happily steps in And says "I wanna go fast" he hops in the driver's seat with no experience. He ends up doing well and gets 3rd place in his first race. Which impressed everyone from there on he continues to aspire as a driver.

The character of Ricky Bobby is played by Will Ferrell which is a perfect fit for the movie. Will Ferrell the actor all of us know and love. Plays the role of an aspiring racer who is very wealthy and living a wild is exactly where he belongs. Ricky Bobby or Will Ferrell has done many famous comedies including the famous Step Brothers If you liked Step Brothers you would enjoy talladega nights. Both characters Dale and Brendon are in Talladega nights except Brennan is Rick Bobby and Dale is Cal Naughton Jr. Both movies are directed by the same director Adam McKay. McKay has created yet another masterpiece in the comedy film industry. It has the same humor enjoyed in both movies. Also a similar plot can be seen two brothers who lived at home since they were 40 to both becoming successful. Ricky Bobby is a pit crew member who aspires to be a professional Nascar driver.

If you find Will Ferrell's other movies funny or if you enjoy Jim Carrey movies, this is definitely a must see for you. Much of the same humor can be observed from these actors. Similar to Dumb And Dumber the two friends who do everything together and aspire to be something. With the included humor along the way which many will enjoy.

Talladega Nights uses very crisp soundtracks of nascar and many tracking shots of Ricky Bobby's car. They also have Ricky say funny things says to the pit crew when they try to tell him what to do. It creates the effect that draws your eyes to Ricky Bobby's car. Gives the effect that Ricky Bobby is star of the show and he really is. With all of his crazy stunts that he pulls on the track to do the best possible in the race.

When Ricky wins his first race he's signs many autographs that he accidentally signs his assistants forehead. Although the movie is hilarious it could use more of a backstory on Ricky Bobby. About his dream to become a Nascar driver when he was little.

If you wanna laugh throughout the whole movie, this is what you should watch tonight. Filled with tons of Will Ferrell's amazing humor. You also will enjoy the plot of this movie a successful nascar driver with a model wife and a hilarious family. This is a must see if you enjoyed step brother or dumb and dumber.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sharp & Stupid
tonyleonardo3 August 2006
It's a pretty funny movie. You could tell Will Ferrell and Sacha Cohen (aka Ali G) and John C. Reilly all had the opportunity to improvise lines and riff on one another, and all three were pretty good.

Ricky Bobby's kids were given some choice lines and nailed home some great (albeit loud and aggro) deliveries. Amy Adams is totally hot. The dad role was well-played. The car action was money and you couldn't quite tell when it was CG and when it was recreated action, so that was good. They did it right.

The overabundance of seeded advertising was acknowledged in the film's dialogue and concretely addressed at the end of the movie (when Ricky Bobby goes sponsorless0 but it was still kind of annoying. I just can't understand how Hollywood blockbusters need more money. They could do the same movie without the extra $$ I think, but in this particular movie, set as it is with NASCAR, it certainly fits in the world we see on screen if there is rampant, colorful advertising.

So it's a good movie, a lot of gut laughs, and not unlike Dodgeball or Anchorman or the like...
138 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Lampoon of NASCAR- Best Comedy of 2006
DKosty12313 August 2006
This movie does something that is rarely done successfully done, pokes fun at the modern NASCAR circuit. Without detailing all the gags, this is pure fun which doesn't offend the tastes too often. Will Farrell is patently absurd as Ricky Bobby & the support he receives in this film from the entire cast is excellent. Gary Cole is very solid as Ricky's dad, & so is Jane Lynch as his mom. Amy Adams is solid too. In fact, the entire cast including John C. Reilly seems to have been fit into their roles like gloves.

Sasha Cohen comes off better in this as Ricky Bobbys French nemesis than he does in even Borat. He is used perfectly & fits his role really well. The story line works really well as the evolution from speed too shake & bake too magic man & me helps keep the film focused on something besides the jokes. There is just enough plot to hang the jokes on.

The script is lots of fun with references to lots of things besides NASCAR & Sex (which is all too often the only thing done as comedy today). This film proves that outrageous is much better than sex when done right as comedy. Thank goodness this is much better than the ill conceived BETWITCHED Farrell did in 2005. This film is really an excellent showcase for everyone involved. If your a NASCAR fan, you should even get some extra fun out of this one.

Get ready for the checkered flag Ricky Booby, this film is a winner all the way.
69 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece
ianmccallqb2 July 2019
A amazing moment in the history of cinema. Perfectly directed and absolutely amazing in every way
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Funny!
osusullins17 July 2006
I was lucky enough to be at a premiere in Chicago for this movie and it was pure fun entertainment. I am not a nascar fan and I love this movie. First off let me say that most of the scenes that they show in the previews are not in the movie, or are at least altered from the trailer version. The characters are extremely funny. John C. Reily and Will Farrell make a perfect red-neck match in this comedy. They play off each other and you can tell that they must have had a blast making this movie. The scene where they are saying grace around the table will, in my opinion, go down as one of the funniest scenes ever. I rank this movie right up there with other will Farrell greats like Old School, Wedding Crashers and Anchorman. So, whether you are a will Farrell fan or not, if you just enjoy fun movies that will have you laughing out loud from start to finish, than you should definitely go check this movie out when it comes out. I will be the guy in the front of the line waiting to get my ticket to see this movie again. A+
190 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the Unrated Version First
stormypewpew22 October 2020
The theatrical cut was good but the Unrated one was even better with 7+ minutes of content in it which makes it even better. Top 5 Best Will Ferrell movies.
hilarious
katieesteel16 July 2020
Classic ferrell and reilly. shake and bake baby. good film watched again and again.
Comedy Gold
mikayakatnt5 March 2020
This has to be my favorite Will Ferrell movies. No matter how many cable reruns I see it on, I always have to finish it. The movie is damn fun from beginning to end... and damn it's quotable.

This movie came out 12 years ago and we still talk about it. How many movies can y'all say honestly do that?

4.5/5.
Long Overdue NASCAR Parody
wastebot4 August 2006
You still get plenty of fast paced action, muscle cars, and massive car crashes. You just get to laugh a lot too.

Will Ferrell really doesn't get enough credit for his acting. As mindless as it seems, he still manages to make it believable. You have to keep in mind it's usually during over-the-top parodies, so it's supposed to be carefree and with complete disdain, yet he still manages to make it intelligent most of the time (at least in this film), so the result is far more than simple fart and gross-out type jokes.

He also had the benefit of writing this film, cast members like John C. Reilly and Sasha Baron Cohen, and a focus for the film in deep need of parody. NASCAR has been long overdue.
88 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun times shakin' n bakin'
TheUniquePerception14 September 2021
Exciting soundtrack, fun racing visuals, over the top comedy. Love the commercials, glaring product placements and outtakes during the credits.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Enjoyable Enough Comedy
Doublej2000528 December 2020
I mean, this film is just utterly ridiculous, but I did kind of enjoy it. The performances are great all round, particularly from scene stealer Sacha Baron Cohen, and the racing scenes were actually quite well shot. The beginning and ending had a lot of really funny sequences, but it was the middle portion that almost dragged this film down to a negative score. It has way less humour and just felt a lot more dull and uninspired than the opening and final half hour. Basically I enjoyed the racing scenes quite a lot, but the portion where there isn't much racing kind of dragged the film down for me. Overall, there are just about enough laughs to make this a fun time.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I wanna go fast!"
ryan_kuhn4 August 2006
When looking at the merits of a movie and decide whether it is good or not, one must think of the goal of the picture. Is it a serious film, designed to comment on society, or is the movie's job to merely entertain? I think we all know the answer to this one when it comes to Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. This movie's goal is to entertain the audience, make them laugh, make them spend an hour and a half rejoicing in talented comedians doing their job well. And this movie reached its goal. Not only is this movie an above-average sports movie (it even concludes with a big race and a warm and fuzzy winner!), but is also a very funny movie. All I had to do was listen to the reaction of the sold out theater I was in and I knew that most people will find this movie to be very funny. Will Ferrell is Ricky Bobby, a NASCAR driver who makes up one half of "Shake and Bake," with John C. Reilly's Cal Naughton, Jr. being the "Bake" half of the duo. They are childhood friends who have now become teammates on the top NASCAR level, where Cal sets up the play that lets Ricky win almost every race--that is, unless Ricky has already crashed out of it. Talladega Nights follows the same story arc that Days of Thunder did, but is far more entertaining, as Ferrell and Reilly work together to bring humor to all parts of the racer's lives, including a bizarre dinner ritual that includes corporate sponsorship. Sure, the movie slows down for about 20 minutes in the middle to develop plot, but that may have been designed to give us, the audience, a break, allowing us to get ready for the final scenes of the movie. Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Ali G, Borat) plays the French Formula 1 driver who threatens to oust Ricky Bobby as the best driver on the track, perhaps the funniest overall character in the movie. There is not one scene with Cohen in it that isn't funny. After watching this movie, it is clear why Will Ferrell takes his comedies so seriously (watch the extras on the Elf DVD to see Ferrell between scenes, he's not always "on" playing the clown on set)--he gets the results he's looking for. This movie is laugh-out-loud funny pretty much from start to finish, and seeing Gary Cole return to comedy as Ricky Bobby's father will bring back memories of Office Space for a moment, then this new character will win you over.
61 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
anthonydapiii9 May 2020
A funny movie where Will Ferrell brings another stellar performance with his partner from "Step Brothers", John C. Reilly.

A classic movie from when I was growing up.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Borderline great
pmtelefon15 March 2020
I don't know what it is but every time I sit down to watch "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" I think I'm In for an okay movie. For some reason I never remember this movie for how funny it is. In about ten minutes I remember that "Talladega Nights" is a very funny movie. This movie has a terrific look. I think the way this movie was filmed plays a huge part in why it works so well. The only demerit, and it's a huge one, is the casting of the almost unwatchable Sacha Baron Cohen. Cohen is my kryptonite. I can't stand him. Despite Cohen's dead weight, "Talladega Nights" delivers a ton of funny moments. Honorable mention: a terrific Gary Cole.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.