Grey's Anatomy (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

It's time to say goodbye - just go into the light already
thekarmicnomad6 July 2021
I agreed to watch these from the start with my girlfriend.

I resisted at first but quickly got into it - the show is (was) full of drama, comedy, sadness, the whole Variety pack.

I had to stop watching the last season 17.

Although the show always tackled difficult social issues it did it as part of a story line, not always well, but it was always a situation that affected a character and you would see it play out.

This started to become less nuance as time went on until you get to season 17 where the characters all but look down the lens and say "these are the top ten reasons why America is racist" There is no story line or investigation into motivations or character just some glib -"yeah I am going to try harder not to murder my patients with racism"

Also Grey herself - how many times is this woman going to die?

The Terminator would have called it a day by now!

I swear she has her own parking space in Purgatory

The security guards see her coming and just wave her through.

"Hey, Meredith, what got you this time? Oh, a dolphin fell out of a hot-air balloon and crushed the ambulance that was carrying you away from that train wreck? What are the chances, eh?"

All things have to come to and end.

This must surely be the end.
102 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once good, now unwatchable
suego-4929322 January 2022
This show used to be wonderful. I loved it up through about season five or six. Then the downward spiral slowly started. By season 11 it was showing signs of that downward spiral picking up speed like a snowball rolling down a hill. And by season 15 it became unwatchable. Every episode after that they continuously beat us over the head with one woke ideology after another. There is no one on this show to balance this or represent opposing points of view, instead they all think they are incredibly superior for their extreme views and want us to think so too.

Beyond that (which in itself is more than enough to stop watching) it has become more like teenagers trying to find their way in the world (and almost always failing spectacularly due to their own stupidity and poor decision making) than about intelligent, mature, educated doctors. They jump in and out of love and each others beds more often than I change my socks. They cry, whine and mope endlessly. Seriously, they are the sorriest bunch of people you will ever (or never) want to meet.

I dragged myself through season fifteen and most of sixteen just to write this review as honestly and accurately as possible. But even I cannot take one more minute of these losers. I will re-watch this show, but like the fantastic Sandra Oh (Christina) who had the good sense to leave after season ten before it all fell apart, I will not ever watch an episode past that point again. Life is too short to waste on these pathetic characters.
63 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is was good in the beginning
aelings711 January 2022
Seriously, a nineteenth season?? This should have ended 4 or 5 years ago, it used to be good but it has turned into an awful show that i don't watch anymore and don't want to watch, they let it go on way too long.
54 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Going going gone
eoinpgeary21 March 2022
I usually wait to post an overall review until a show is fully done, but now I am fully done with the show.

I originally had it at a 9 then 8 and now 7 and I'm doing this review now before it keeps going down.

I have amazing memories of the show, season 1-11 are absolutely amazing, all of it, it had a fantastic balance between medical mysteries and difficulties in the OR, with a good mix of home drama and relationship issues, season 12-14 were decent with some good episodes but 15 up to now which is 18 are just some of the most horrendous seasons of tv.

There is no more shocking patients, even the family drama is just plain ridiculous, I get after 18 seasons ( renewed for a 19th) it's hard to come up with ideas, SO STOP, go out with a bang!!!

I have watched a handful of s18 and it's useless, the show now focuses on whole topics, forcing certain agendas at you, for example I think S17 Maggie thought her boyfriend was going to be killed by the police because he was pulled over, what a load of rubbish, this was in the height of police protests but my god, yes there are bad people out there but your painting an entire police force as animals, I really didn't like that. Greys was a place you would go to escape reality, now it's even worse.

My greys days are behind me unfortunately, I'd recommend s1-11 they are superb but just stop after that.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A soap opera for the ages
Calicodreamin7 September 2020
I admittedly stopped watching this show in season 10, but feel I invested enough time to still leave a review. This show started out so good, well developed characters, heart wrenching storylines... but once the main characters started to leave, the show was over. But Ellen Pompeo continues to drag this show through the battlefield of fallen characters, every natural disaster you can think of, and every hairbrained medical mishaps on this planet and the next.
34 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disaster in the late seasons
chadmabe3 January 2022
They took a show about doctors who are learning and having love interests and turned it into a political arena for left-wing extremism. Wasted potential in the later seasons. What a shame.
50 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's boring!
provita-1114216 April 2021
A lot of writers today have lost their creativity. I don't blame the actors, they are doing their job, but unfortunately it's so boring.
48 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Each season weaker than the last one. A shame...
cjonesas20 December 2019
It seems that an eternity has passed , especially after the departure of Derek and Mark from the series. It's not even a medical soap opera anymore, it has basically become a medical circus where actors and actresses get paid for doing nothing, dreaming, kissing and performing stupid and unbelievable medical stuff.

It pains me to write these, cause I was once a true fan of the series. The producers stretched it thin so much that it snapped a few seasons back without them noticing it. Cancel it already and if you have so much money to waste, at least think of a new worthy series, whatever it might be, with fresh and new ideas.

Viewers scores (true or not) and fake popularity after two digits seasons are not everything. Respect yourself and your true viewers and admirers. They are the ones who count the most...
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With "Anatomy," ABC Scores A Triple!
cchase1 November 2005
The Network From Nowhere really knocked me for a loop by smacking the viewing audience upside its collective head with THREE strong series that came out winners: "Desperate Housewives" and "LOST" being the first two.

Now that we are well into the second season for both of those, and their story arcs are looking a little 'iffy', it's the third and most surprising contender, "Grey's Anatomy", that looks to be the strongest of the bunch. As the follow-up riding on "Housewives'" coattails, I was ready to dismiss it outright as "Ally McBeal in hospital scrubs." But not having much else to watch in that time slot, I decided to give it a try, and was I pleasantly shocked! Though there ARE some moments where the principal characters come off as self-centered, neurotic and at times downright eccentric, it never reached the level of absurdity that "Ally" often did, and thank God for that! Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey comes off as likable and probably more self-aware and introspective than self-absorbed and scatterbrained, though there are moments you do want to reach into the screen and give her a good shaking.

And good call on the ensemble casting! You really have to give props to any show that FINALLY figures out how to effectively showcase the sweet-and-sour charms of Sandra Oh, who was good enough to elevate a sow's ear of a show like "Arli$$," if not to save it. And not to mention give assorted actors who have all been great in projects not up to their talents, the chance to really shine in some very well-written roles, and I want to single out Katherine Heigl, Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson and especially T.R. Knight as George, who is really coming into his own as this season progresses.

Not to snub Isaiah Washington, James Pickens, Jr., Kate Walsh or the so-hot-it's-criminal Patrick Dempsey. Seasoned vets all, it's just good to see them all land in a nice place where they can do great work with some sense of job security. (WE HOPE.)

Realistic enough to be accessible but not a turn-off, and whimsically light enough at other times without straying into "Stefan-the-Frog" territory, (are you listening, David Kelley?), "Grey's" should remain as a dependable Sunday night staple as long as creator/producer Shonda Rhimes and her crew are able to continue to strike that balance, and keep its newfound audience interested and entertained with the trials, tribulations and trysts of the staff at Seattle Grace Hospital.
131 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please End This Show!
AngelHonesty6 January 2020
The beginning season were amazing!! Great actors with interesting storylines, it had the perfect amount of humor and heart to go along with the brutal cases brought into the hospital. But then it started to lose it's heart, characters became extremely annoying, and the personal issues of the characters became exhausting as they never seemed to change. Grey's Anatomy had a great cast to start with, then they took those characters and slowly made them unbearable to stand. While eventually getting rid of some of the best actors on the show to replace them with people who you will not be able to tolerate for very long. I wish this show would focus more on the medicine aspect and less on the personal lives of the doctors. It would be nice if they would clean up the cast and get better actors with better storylines or just end the show! 15 seasons is a bit much.
66 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overdue
jaabs11 March 2022
It is time to put this to rest. You need a score card to keep track of who is in bed with who. Having patients give love advice to the doctors is too much.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth investing time in cause it gets so bad
aprilsfriendorin11 March 2022
The beginning of this show is good, then it gets okay, and then it gets so, so, bad. Like, painful to watch bad. But when you've invested like 15 seasons into it, you don't just wanna quit. So best not to start at all.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quitting Greys After All These Years
Linda-7378216 April 2021
This show has become so woke, the agenda just suffocates. Non stop political righteousness.
55 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AFTER 16 GREAT SEASONS, I'M DONE!! POLITICS, POLITIC, POLITICS!
brennansmomma7 December 2021
Great series shows are my entertainment. When the show tries to ram politics down my throat, I can move on to something entertaining. In the past several years, I've watched show after show fail, once they start trying to make a political statement....just look at the awards' shows! Grey's Anatomy has had a great run but they should have left the news to the news shows.

Bye-bye gang. I'll miss you.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
drdriggers6 January 2021
Lost everything that made it special. I wish that they would cancel it and stop dragging it out.
58 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
These are supposed to be doctors?
yastepanov22 May 2022
The enormous flaws in the show are immensely obvious. Surgeons are seen doing everything in patient care from diagnosis to running tests, MRIs and followup care.

Surgeons don't do this! Diagnosis is done by a physician who refers someone for surgery. The Chief of surgery doesn't run the hosiutal, an administrator does. Technical professionals run tests. Most patient care is done by nurses.

The doctors carpool as if they don't make $500,000+ per year.

Worse, the female doctors seem to be unaware of this thing called "birth control" because they are sexually active and getting "surprise" pregnancies.

It's crap.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enough is enough
subasici-0222729 April 2022
This show has absolutely no sense anymore.

I mean it doesn't have for a long time now, but enough is enough.

..... ....... ............. ................
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No longer a medical show
mbrinkley27 March 2020
I seem to remember this being a medical show with medical procedures/situations. Now just a cheesy soap opera.
130 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It went from good to eh, then unbearable. Incompetent writers.
filiarga21 May 2020
I liked it until Season 6. Then I kept watching it -just because- until Season 11. I recently checked back and I couldn't watch a single episode without flinching. To me, it went from a 7-star series, to a 3-star, then to a negative-1-star (negative, because the producers are still extracting profits out of a very low-quality show). The weighted average is now 1 star!

Every marriage fails. Every pregnancy becomes a high-risk one. Every season finale involves some big crash/disaster. Majority of the characters have been on the operating table, survived a major surgery, and never experienced a single complication during (a super speedy) recovery. And we are supposed to believe that highly intelligent characters, world-class doctors, base their arguments on emotions and irrational explanations. The drama heavily relies on situations that are highly implausible. Are the writers not able to actually produce quality writing?
35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy hell what happened.
D-G-P12 December 2021
Watched the show from season 1-10 and thought it was good but then i slowly stopped watching as life got in the way. Came back in the middle of season 16 and its like everything changed. A giant chunk of the main characters with any personality are gone or have died and yet Ellen pompeo is still there after 18 seasons. All the current characters are so blah and just seem to want to screw each other over and love to argue about the most petty things.

In summary-Characters past season 10 have turned into a bunch of whiny petty idiots that cant seem to practice medicine better than a toddler with a kitchen knife that snorted cocaine.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far, so good
NoRealityShows4Me11 April 2005
So far, I'm enjoying this show. I consider it a more serious "Scrubs".

To be honest, I started watching it because of the beautiful vistas of Seattle that they show at the beginning of the first episode. I love this city and most of the city views they showed so far would be very hard (or impossible) for me to get otherwise. Seattle is breathtaking on a sunny day.

But this was just what caught my attention initially. I fell in love with the cast and up to this point I enjoyed every minute of "Grey's Anatomy". Some people think it's not realistic and I agree with them, but what TV show is? And if it WAS realistic, I don't think I would watch it. Have you ever been to a hospital? Was it interesting? I didn't think so.

I hope the show stays interesting and funny and if you're looking for reality, don't watch TV.
254 out of 356 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
totally unrealistic to the point of ridiculous & annoying
FilmLabRat20 May 2010
Sadly overacted, unrealistic, predictable series with 10 carbon copies of one character. The surgeons & residents all stammer, grow speechless, have the same tone, similar reactions, lines, mannerisms, tears streaming down their faces... and these are doctors in a hospital. Have the show's creators and writers ever been in a hospital? It's all unheard of.

I worked in a hospital with surgeons for 7 years and never ever saw one of them cry or scream of grow out of control the way these characters do every day on the job. It's totally ludicrous - doctors are very cool-headed in their work, to the point of almost lacking compassion at all - especially surgeons. They are criticized for being totally heartless, but you have to be to cut into human flesh. THey are never melodramatic the way ALL of the characters on this show are... not to mention the rotating bed partners and switching up sexuality -- although most surgeons are sleaze-bags, the philandering is usually with nurses, not with other doctors and never same-sex. Grays features all kinds of unrealistic craziness. Please give the American public a break and stop producing and airing this silly junk.
74 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show... ruined by radical politics
atdmv5 July 2021
Started out great, but the last few years ruined the show with radical leftist ideology.

Not for my family.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From a great show to a soap opera
marcusmarcysa9 December 2021
The firs three seasons are great, then the show declines. I stopped with the fifth season.

Generally - solid acting, good music/soundtracks, descent plot.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life Support
caspian19783 October 2017
When I began watching Grey's Anatomy I was single, dating and connected with the first round of characters that the show offered its audience. We were along for the journey with these young Doctors as they began their professional careers as well as their personal struggles with friendship and love. Fourteen seasons later, Grey's Anatomy has become a completely different show as we the audience has also changed. I am now married with children and at a similar time-line as some of the current cast members. It is for this reason that I am no longer a devoted fan. Having seen every episode since its pilot, I have finally questioned why I am still tuning in every week to watch the continuing adventures of Meredith Grey and her circle of friends and fellow doctors. Simple, it is no longer the same show I began to watch 14 seasons ago. Most of the character of the original show have left if not been killed off. The hospital has been set on fire, blown up, and taken hostage multiple times. We have seen love, lost, passion, promise, joy and sadness from multiple story lines throughout its run. Grey's Anatomy has reinvented itself so many times that we have seen its central figure (Meredith Grey) change for good and bad.

From the single girl, the devoted daughter, the young doctor, the passionate girl friend, the on again off again good / bad friend, the angry daughter living in her Mom' shadow, the newly-wed, young mother, widower, lost adult and now, for lack of anything else, a supporting character to the show that graces her name.

For this reason and the loss of so many of its prior cast members, I have found myself question time and time again when Grey's Anatomy "jumped the shark."

Grey's Anatomy by default has inherited the generational audience of fans from such shows as St. Elsewhere, Chicago Hope and ER. The hospital drama has a home with Grey's Anatomy. When the show began, it was a home to a young cast of young professionals that were in multiple "sexual" relationships as they juggled their careers and side stories. Also, the show has taken a life of its own by juggling a much more diverse cast then it set out originally. With good and bad results, the solid fact remains that the current show does not reflect anything that the original show set out to be 14 seasons ago.

While the show has created a multitude of amazing stories and moments for its audience to enjoy, I have lost that love and feeling many years ago. Now, I fear that after many years of hoping, wishing and praying, the show will not return to what it once was. It has tried several times to revive its cast to showcase this but has failed. Even during its second and third wind of new medical arrivals, only a handful have made the cut to the current cast while the large majority have disappeared if not written off the show. However, I am not angry at the overall show. Grey' Anatomy has (had) produced many good characters and stories back in the day. Thank you for the good times, which were many many seasons ago. Now, audience members have to make a tough decision.

With that said, the show has struggled for an identity while holding onto several different aspects for a show. It has taken me this long to finally "pull the plug" and take Grey's Anatomy off of life support.
28 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.