Grey's Anatomy (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

Shades of Grey
nicoledamian12 February 2019
I miss Alex in Pediatrics. Miranda as a strong leader. April in the ER. Cali breaking bones. Meredith and two young guys is unrealistic. Give her a mature man that respects her and her kids and allows her time to operate and research. That's what a tired single mom of 3 really wants. When did this stop being a medical drama and become a soap opera entitled the Weber/Averys standing around talking about a tumor for several episodes. Give me some more medicial drama and less standing around talking. Less grey more Gray!!
124 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 17 is so awful, the wokeness is ridiculous
raerae-6268121 March 2021
I'm on Season 17 and I'm officially over this show. I'm so over the political wokeness. Self indulgent, self important writers standing on a soapbox to show that they're better than everyone else by pointing out everything they think is wrong with the world when it's really all for ratings. It's so transparent. And pathetic. I had to fast forward through most of episodes 6, 7 and 8. And by the way, they seem to have a problem with good looking male actors. They killed off every single one over the years and now they just killed Deluca. Do you even know your audience?!?!?
27 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst season
swapelhorst11 February 2021
Worst season ever! Used love this show but this season is too negative and way depressing! Ugh!
27 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Milking the social justice issues
samba5321119 December 2020
I used to love this show. Couldn't wait for Thursday to come. What are they doing?! Social issues are important, but does every single episode have to be a freakin' sermon?
67 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost a lot of steam over the years
tainemil-88-6771153 November 2018
This show was a lot of fun to watch when the original cast were there, but as the seasons went on, and character after character were killed off, it lost its charm. Few of the newer cast are interesting to watch, with the exception of Amelia, whose neurotic behavior is just hilarious when you consider she's a neurosurgeon... When they killed off everyone in Meredith's family, there just wasn't enough to keep me watching. Lexie was the last straw!
85 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Initially seasons are good but ridiculous now
maniwood30 January 2019
First few seasons were good, but slowly all good and interesting characters were killed off, now show is not bearable.
111 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like the show but...
bellethatsails22 March 2021
I like it but I am SO tired of them pushing one persons policy agenda. Pls. go back to writing an entertaining tv show and stop your political grandstanding!
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First mid-season show EVER that I actually liked
critical-escapist12 July 2005
If you think ABC can't get any better - you're wrong. With the great success over smash-hits, "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" they also picked up a few shows over mid-season hoping for more success. They got "Jake in Progress," "Eyes" and "Grey's Anatomy" - but "Grey's Anatomy" is definitely considered the best out of those three.

Grey's Anatomy stars Ellen Pompeo (who has starred in a few movies but was never really noticeable) as the narrator - Meredith Grey. Her mother is the famous surgeon and she is trying to follow in her mother's footsteps. The story revolves around her time as an intern and the people she meets and sort of is portrayed as "survival camp for medical students." The minute she arrives at work, she meets Christina Yang (Sandra Oh - flawless in her bitchy supporting role), George O'Malley (T.R. Knight - one word: breakthrough performer), Izzie Stevens (Katherine Heighl - very, very believable as a model who is more like the girl-next-door), and Alex Karev (Justin Chambers - plays sort of a not-so-likable person). Most of all, there is Dr. Derek Shepherd (Patrick Dempsey - very attractive), the man that Meredith had a one-night stand with - he just happens to be her boss.

This is a show that wants to be liked. It just sort of screams in your face "Love me!" with all its interesting characters who are very different from each other and a nice plot that you just have to be addicted to. The supporting work is clearly a winner. It has a very lovable supporting cast with T.R. Knight as the sweet and sort of the "average guy" as George O'Malley and Katherine Heigl who is very likable in her role - even Sandra Oh is a clear winner on top. And my personal favorite is "the Nazi" - Dr. Miranda Bailey who is played by Chandra Wilson. Very, very well done.

This is sort of a soapy spin on "Scrubs" and "ER" but with light comedy/romance and serious and intense drama where character build up the plot. Some of the characters may get a bit annoying for your taste (ex. Meredith Grey) but the acting is just superb and you can't help liking it. It has a guilty-pleasure feel to it and you just can't help but stay up late for this show. This show is definitely not about "medicine" - when it has to deal with medicine, it has a clear soft side to it. The doctors play heroes (pretty clichéd, but yeah - this IS a hospital show) and save lives or care or has to live up to certain defeat. Just to be aware: This is a show about relationships-within-a-hospital and the life of each person that works there.

The show breaks all the "bad" mid-season shows record. It is just extremely enjoyable. Go check it out - you'll definitely like it if not love it.
227 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do yourself a favour...
babydollfaff6 March 2020
And stop watching after Sandra Oh leaves. It becomes mediocre at best.
97 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TIME TO GO
eufemia11 October 2020
I honestly don't think the show should've continued after season 10, when Christina Yang leaves. I hadn't watched the last two seasons until I was bored at home because of quarantine and had nothing better to do. It was terrible, I don't know why they keep insisting on making more episodes, it's just recycled story lines at this point. I wish the producers would do the kind thing and put it out of its misery while it still has a shred of dignity left.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No longer a medical show
mbrinkley27 March 2020
I seem to remember this being a medical show with medical procedures/situations. Now just a cheesy soap opera.
71 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Farewell, Grey's
lpc-3191312 January 2021
I was an avid fan for many many years. This season has officially been my breaking point. I can't stand the over politicized garbage writing. Just adding to the division of us all. So long, farewell.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Needs to end
tmorse-7419414 February 2021
Sadly like most people have posted, I used to love this show. Was a diehard fan since season 1. The past few seasons have turned into nothing but politics and I can't it watch it anymore. I watch tv shows to escape the crap going on in the world. The last thing I want to do when trying to unwind after a long day of work is watch this crap. If I did I'd watch the news. I know it's not the only tv show to take this turn but my god- Hollywood writers take note!! We don't want to watch this! Stick to your original narrative-leave politics to the news. I couldn't finish season 16 but was hoping season 17 might be worth it with all the hype around Derek's appearance. 15 minutes in and changed the channel. It's time to end this show.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With "Anatomy," ABC Scores A Triple!
cchase1 November 2005
The Network From Nowhere really knocked me for a loop by smacking the viewing audience upside its collective head with THREE strong series that came out winners: "Desperate Housewives" and "LOST" being the first two.

Now that we are well into the second season for both of those, and their story arcs are looking a little 'iffy', it's the third and most surprising contender, "Grey's Anatomy", that looks to be the strongest of the bunch. As the follow-up riding on "Housewives'" coattails, I was ready to dismiss it outright as "Ally McBeal in hospital scrubs." But not having much else to watch in that time slot, I decided to give it a try, and was I pleasantly shocked! Though there ARE some moments where the principal characters come off as self-centered, neurotic and at times downright eccentric, it never reached the level of absurdity that "Ally" often did, and thank God for that! Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey comes off as likable and probably more self-aware and introspective than self-absorbed and scatterbrained, though there are moments you do want to reach into the screen and give her a good shaking.

And good call on the ensemble casting! You really have to give props to any show that FINALLY figures out how to effectively showcase the sweet-and-sour charms of Sandra Oh, who was good enough to elevate a sow's ear of a show like "Arli$$," if not to save it. And not to mention give assorted actors who have all been great in projects not up to their talents, the chance to really shine in some very well-written roles, and I want to single out Katherine Heigl, Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson and especially T.R. Knight as George, who is really coming into his own as this season progresses.

Not to snub Isaiah Washington, James Pickens, Jr., Kate Walsh or the so-hot-it's-criminal Patrick Dempsey. Seasoned vets all, it's just good to see them all land in a nice place where they can do great work with some sense of job security. (WE HOPE.)

Realistic enough to be accessible but not a turn-off, and whimsically light enough at other times without straying into "Stefan-the-Frog" territory, (are you listening, David Kelley?), "Grey's" should remain as a dependable Sunday night staple as long as creator/producer Shonda Rhimes and her crew are able to continue to strike that balance, and keep its newfound audience interested and entertained with the trials, tribulations and trysts of the staff at Seattle Grace Hospital.
133 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 17 isn't something of my liking.
elitz-x21 November 2020
First Alex left unexpectedly in 16th season and made no sense for his character to do so. And I was really hoping that they won't be including COVID in season 17, and I'm deeply disappointed with it being inserted in. It's like we don't have it enough in our daily routine, but now it's in our TV shows? Not to mention it's inspiring more fear in people. Please stop this madness before you lose many viewers that have been watching this for so long...
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't People Watch TV As Means of Escape?
Brytannikp9711 December 2020
What the hell are any of the writers on this show thinking? There's enough drama on the news about covid. Every time grey's anatomy is on, I hear covid, pandemic, covid. God. This show wasn't realistic to begin with, why are they starting now? I have never seen such lazy writing. So many people are suffering from this pandemic. These are people's actual lives! People turn on the TV as a form of escaping from their troubles. Now, if someone has covid, has lost their job, they're reminded of their reality when they turn on the TV.
53 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kindergartners, MD
greanjellibean8 April 2021
This cast of emotionally stunted, confidence-deficient characters make you wonder how they ever put their socks on, paid a bill, cooked mac 'n' cheese, much less got through life, let alone med school, let alone conflicts, let alone surgeries. These caricatures of adults with their never-ending internecine dramas make kindergartner sandbox politics look like high-level international deal brokers by contrast. Meredith and that babysqueak voice who holds an endless torch for a dead-ender; Alex and his abject d-baggery, betrayals, and frat-boy antics; Cristina with an emotional iq of -- somehow is "brilliant"/please?!; McDreamy who can rewire brains but can't figure out that he doesn't like his wife anymore; McNally who's got an elementary-grade crush--and what is with the unbelievable high body count? The death rate on the ORT makes it look like they got their med degrees at a vending machine. After a few episodes, we saw the pattern, "Oh, s/he's not going to make it. That one's going to croak," and sure enough, we could predict with 95% certainty what would happen. It would be a comedy if the jokes were better and a drama if it weren't lathered in soapy ridiculousness. Total snoozer. This show's characters needed to have mature, internally strong personalities with high moral integrity and backbones working on patients--these show docs are often selfish, egotistical, dismissive, condescending and contemptible toward their patients--WHY would they go into medicine/surgery if they were misanthropes and preferred gazing at their bellybuttons (and below) more than saving lives and advancing medicine? It's a prima facie contradiction that sets up an untenable arc for compelling tv. Save yourself time.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No hope here
Ctherra2 April 2021
It's April 30, 2021...Meredith has been in heaven for so long it's become completely boring. No light at the end of the tunnel at Grey/Sloan...no mention of vaccines, or the kids going to school, or asking if life will ever be normal again, no they're all just happy with the way it is, not wanting it to end.

It's over for me.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love the first 10 season but now it is horrible
paolitacabrera-9712119 December 2020
I'm done with greys anatomy they should end the season when still good. Covid 19 and black lives matter if I want to see all this I watch the news
42 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far, so good
NoRealityShows4Me11 April 2005
So far, I'm enjoying this show. I consider it a more serious "Scrubs".

To be honest, I started watching it because of the beautiful vistas of Seattle that they show at the beginning of the first episode. I love this city and most of the city views they showed so far would be very hard (or impossible) for me to get otherwise. Seattle is breathtaking on a sunny day.

But this was just what caught my attention initially. I fell in love with the cast and up to this point I enjoyed every minute of "Grey's Anatomy". Some people think it's not realistic and I agree with them, but what TV show is? And if it WAS realistic, I don't think I would watch it. Have you ever been to a hospital? Was it interesting? I didn't think so.

I hope the show stays interesting and funny and if you're looking for reality, don't watch TV.
257 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grey's get woke
tos-164-38024319 December 2020
I wouldn't profess to this show being a beacon of the best writing, it's a somewhat guilty pleasure watch, but there's only so far i'll go before the crigne pushes over the edge. I still love the show(despite my gut saying i shoudn't), but it's really heavily pushing a "wokeness" noone really wants shoving down their gullet.

Don't forget to check yourself GA.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life Support
caspian19783 October 2017
When I began watching Grey's Anatomy I was single, dating and connected with the first round of characters that the show offered its audience. We were along for the journey with these young Doctors as they began their professional careers as well as their personal struggles with friendship and love. Fourteen seasons later, Grey's Anatomy has become a completely different show as we the audience has also changed. I am now married with children and at a similar time-line as some of the current cast members. It is for this reason that I am no longer a devoted fan. Having seen every episode since its pilot, I have finally questioned why I am still tuning in every week to watch the continuing adventures of Meredith Grey and her circle of friends and fellow doctors. Simple, it is no longer the same show I began to watch 14 seasons ago. Most of the character of the original show have left if not been killed off. The hospital has been set on fire, blown up, and taken hostage multiple times. We have seen love, lost, passion, promise, joy and sadness from multiple story lines throughout its run. Grey's Anatomy has reinvented itself so many times that we have seen its central figure (Meredith Grey) change for good and bad.

From the single girl, the devoted daughter, the young doctor, the passionate girl friend, the on again off again good / bad friend, the angry daughter living in her Mom' shadow, the newly-wed, young mother, widower, lost adult and now, for lack of anything else, a supporting character to the show that graces her name.

For this reason and the loss of so many of its prior cast members, I have found myself question time and time again when Grey's Anatomy "jumped the shark."

Grey's Anatomy by default has inherited the generational audience of fans from such shows as St. Elsewhere, Chicago Hope and ER. The hospital drama has a home with Grey's Anatomy. When the show began, it was a home to a young cast of young professionals that were in multiple "sexual" relationships as they juggled their careers and side stories. Also, the show has taken a life of its own by juggling a much more diverse cast then it set out originally. With good and bad results, the solid fact remains that the current show does not reflect anything that the original show set out to be 14 seasons ago.

While the show has created a multitude of amazing stories and moments for its audience to enjoy, I have lost that love and feeling many years ago. Now, I fear that after many years of hoping, wishing and praying, the show will not return to what it once was. It has tried several times to revive its cast to showcase this but has failed. Even during its second and third wind of new medical arrivals, only a handful have made the cut to the current cast while the large majority have disappeared if not written off the show. However, I am not angry at the overall show. Grey' Anatomy has (had) produced many good characters and stories back in the day. Thank you for the good times, which were many many seasons ago. Now, audience members have to make a tough decision.

With that said, the show has struggled for an identity while holding onto several different aspects for a show. It has taken me this long to finally "pull the plug" and take Grey's Anatomy off of life support.
21 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why it had to change for the worse so much?
parniczky-tibor15 February 2021
This show had its merits on its own rights for so many seasons. Covid could have been an opportunity to keep this high level, at least, or even improve. Instead it has become a chaotic mixture of different genre story lines, the characters one-dimensional and lecturing the viewers with simplified political messages in premier plan. Using brainwashing techniques may strike back.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show that gets worse as it goes on..
christig-3098412 December 2020
Great characters in the beginning and the longer you go on the more insufferable and awful the characters and actors get. I wouldn't go behind season 7 with the exception of the Denzel Washington directed in season 12 ep 9. One of the best eps ever!!!
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop the Covid madness!!
jrbraintrainer6 December 2020
We are sick of Covid! We do not need to watch it on TV! If it doesn't stop I will stop watching the show! What happened to just enjoying fake life, reality is bad enough lately!
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.