Spider-Man 3 (2007) Poster

(2007)

1,947 Reviews
I'm so sorry, Spidey...
streetcar19516 May 2007
As I was walking down the stairs and out of the theater, I was trying as hard as I could to pull a smile out of my face. My friends tensely asked if I liked it, I said "Yes, of course!!" They nodded weakly in response. On the way home, I kept thinking to myself. "You liked it! C'mon! It's Spiderman!" Now, it's two days later, the euphoria of waiting for Spidey to come out has subsided, and I've begun to look at this flick a bit more (shall I say it?) critically.

It's plain to see that Sam Raimi is a fantastic director. He knows when to do what and realizes that he is making a superhero movie, which is why the Spider-man movies have done so well. It's not like the recent Batman and Superman who try to hide the fact that they're just fun superhero films. Raimi knows his material and embraces it. The effects were astounding as usual. Spiderman's one-on-one fight with the Sandman and the crane scene being the major highlights. I thought these features would outbalance the weaker spots of the film, but unfortunately they did not.

As far as acting goes, I'm surprised to say that Topher Grace stole the show. I remember how outraged everyone was when he was chosen, but obviously someone knew what they were doing when they let him on as Venom. James Franco and Kirsten Dunst played their usual selves (I can't help but think of Dunst dreaming of getting back to work with Sofia Coppola while doing these films). However, Tobey Maguire REALLY disappointed me. I've always thought he was so great at Spidey, which is undeniable in the first two films and even in this one...when he has his red suit on. Maguire is a one note actor, at least as far as Spidey goes. He just could not pull off the black suit; he wasn't good at being bad. Then came the horrific bridge scene with MJ. Along with most other people I've talked to, my entire theater erupted in laughter when he started crying. It was just...sad...and not in the way the writers intended it.

Speaking of the writing, I hate to be beating a dead horse, but c'mon: 3 villains, Sandman's background, trouble with MJ, Harry's changing attitudes, 2 different Spidermans, competition at the Bugle, Gwen Stacy, etc. It was just WAY TOO MUCH! Even if you had four hours, it's just too much to cram into the audience in one sitting. The great thing about Spiderman 2 (the best of the trilogy) is how focused it was. You had the inner struggle, the villain and his relationship with MJ. There it was! Beautifully filmed and written. From the first 15 minutes of Spiderman 3, I knew that all these parallel story lines were going to crash within the next two hours. The sequence that shows how far they've fallen from part two is the whole emo/hair in the eyes/eyeliner/oh so cool "bad" Spiderman scenes. The first few minutes of this was funny in the same way that the "Raindrops are Falling on my Head" scene in part two was great, but this time they stretched a good thing way too far. This whole sequence is what sticks in my mind and refuses to let me think that the film was just as great as the rest.

I tried to like it! I really did! I just can't fool myself any longer. Some critics like Peter Travers for Rolling Stone are saying that we can let this one slide because it's Spiderman, but I couldn't disagree more. Spiderman 3 missed the mark and, deep down inside, we all know it.
929 out of 1,362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Progression of the Peter Parker/Spiderman Saga
Specterno17 May 2007
I saw this movie at the 12 O'Clock showing and was pinned in my seat from 12:01 to the credits. I went to school ranting and raving about how excellent this film was and was so excited to see it again with the rest of my family. Monday, to my dismay, i was greeted with very negative thoughts on this movie. some even said that it was the worst movie that they have seen in a long time. this angered me because frankly, these people were judging the movie completely wrong.

Most people walked in and expected a beat em up movie with back to back spidey fighting and action galore but instead were greeted with a realistic drama between Peter Parker and MJ and lessons in morals and friendship and forgiveness. to me, this is what made this movie so excellent. Here you have a man with so much power he could be rich and famous but instead, he gives a vast majority of his time protecting people who in many cases don't even appreciate his efforts.

when things finally start going good for him he is hit with relationship troubles, friends turning their backs on him, and super villains to boot. when i saw how he handled things i couldn't help but feel that it was a totally realistic response to what he was given. it made me relate to the character so much more.

this movie made me hurt when he hurt, cry when he cried, and cheer when he triumphed. i can honestly say that i loved this film and would recommend it to everyone. keep in mind though that spider-man is nothing without the man behind the mask and he fights with his heart. without a heart, superheroes are nothing.
83 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An early contender for this summer's best blockbuster.
spooly_montana15 May 2007
When you venture out to see a movie in the theatre, you hope to be engaged and have your appetite for entertainment met. You congregate with fellow audience members in the darkness and ideally will leave with a satisfied feeling that only a very good movie can give. The third installment of the Spider-Man franchise did just that for me. The film swung into theatres on May 4th and has broken box office records, making $59.3 million it's opening day alone! SPIDER-MAN 3 is something of a marvel, forcefully shaking off the "sequel law" which dictates that each sequel must inevitably get worse and worse, declining in quality and really being just a cheap facsimile of the sharp original movie. The Spiderman trilogy proves once again (i.e. the Indiana Jones trilogy) that the sequel rule can be broken on rare occasion. In case you have not caught the first two Spider-Man films or need some refreshment on the plot, the starting of this film brings you from the beginning of the first Spider-Man right to where the last one left off with a cool montage of clips placed in the opening credits. Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) and Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) are getting serious in their relationship. But while Spider-Man's popularity in the city is at an all time high, Mary Jane has been let go from her Broadway debut after just one critically bashed performance. Peter is so engrossed in the people's adulation of his alter ego Spider-Man and fails to be a shoulder for MJ to lean on. Peter's former friend, the wealthy Harry Osborn (James Franco), is plotting his revenge for the death of his father who he believes died at the hands of Spider-Man. Flint Marko (Thomas Haden Church) is an escaped convict who falls into a particle accelerator while on the run, transforming him into a shape shifting sand-man. He wreaks havoc on the city, robbing banks and armored vehicles. At the Daily Bugle where Peter works we have Eddie Brock (Topher Grace), a hotshot freelance photographer who has just been hired. In competing with Peter for the best photos of Spider-Man he cheats by Photoshopping Spidey into a bank break-in. Yet still, there are more problems for Spidey: one night black alien liquid oozes from a crashed meteorite, and attaches itself to Peter while he sleeps. This gooey creature uses him as a host, making him aggressive and causing a downward spiral into arrogance and selfish behavior. As Spider-Man/Peter Parker confronts the darkness in himself, he must overcome the need for revenge which has consumed him after some recent disturbing facts have come to light. I will not give anything away, but those twists affect core plot points as far back as the first Spider-Man movie! Writer/director Sam Raimi weaves it all into a cohesive and entertaining 2 hours and 20 minutes. There could be a lot of conflict in such a loaded storyline, but it is handled deftly by Sam Raimi, and he leaves you at the end wanting more. He makes us feel empathy for the Sandman who is out getting money for his sick daughter, and Harry who lost his father. The first Spider-Man was extremely "comic-book", really just a visual thrill ride, while the second one made an effort at having deeper character development in its villains and good guys. The third one leaps astronomically far ahead of the previous two on all levels, making it a strong early contender for the summer's best blockbuster. There is a brief cameo by the co-creator of Spider-man Stan Lee as well, midway through the movie, so watch for that. This movie is the most expensive film ever made in history, costing $258 million dollars! So watch a rare product in today's Hollywood: an enormously budgeted movie that has thrilling special effects paired with a compelling and thought provoking storyline.
62 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst Spidey yet. I LOVED IT!
LennyRenquist4 May 2007
This film is deeply flawed in certain ways. It's much more convoluted than its predecessors, and nowhere near as cohesive. It seems like Sam has tried to fit too much into the film. Three villains as well as Peter's own inner demons, tension with MJ, problems at the Bugle...how much can one superhero handle? Sure, everyone has their own part to play...but introducing all those new characters, and having their individual arcs play out to a satisfying extent - it's a big job, and one that doesn't quite pay off - or, at least, pays off at the expense of smooth narrative flow. We end up with some terribly clunky lines of expository dialogue – such as Eddie Brock's line to Chief Stacy, which goes something like 'I'm the new photographer at the Bugle...oh, and I'm dating your daughter' - that will make you spit goo in annoyance (or, whatever it is you do when you're annoyed - I spit goo) The many mental/emotional shifts Harry (poor, poor Harry) goes through are handled in a pretty ham-fisted way, too. I can see what Sam is trying to do...but it just seems a bit...well, the word 'clunky' keeps coming to mind. There are also a couple of very 'sequelly' bits, which seem a little inconsistent with the other films. I'm not talking about the whole 'Flint-Marko-killed-Uncle-Ben' thing – that was actually handled surprisingly well. The most memorable example of what I mean is Bernard's little word in Harry's ear concerning Norman's cause of death. Umm...so, why couldn't he have mentioned it EARLIER?! Like, y'know, at the start of Spidey 2 for instance! It would have saved Harry a LOT of grief - not to mention Pete and MJ.

Narrative flaws and rough edges aside, however, this succeeds in being far-and-away the most entertaining film of the three, based purely on action and laughs. It is the darkest, the most action-packed, and by far the FUNNIEST Spider-Man yet. This, I suppose, is the upshot of Sam Raimi himself writing the screenplay (with brother and Army of Darkness co-scribe Ivan). The sequence in which Peter turns into the lamest bad-boy in history is a total crack-up. The looks on the faces of the 'laydeez' as he struts along the street like a nerdy, emo-midget Travolta are absolutely priceless.

The chase/fight sequence between Peter and Gobby Jr. is brilliant. We fly and fall through the air, not knowing which way is up half the time. Only Sam Raimi could disorient an audience to that extent while still allowing us to keep up with what's going on - AND manage to inject the scene with such style, humour and gravity, all at the same time.

Both Sandman and Venom are great to watch. Yes, the special effects are awesome, but it mainly comes down to the fact that both characters are so well cast (no surprise really, given the casting in the previous films). Thomas Haden Church (a very BUFF Thomas Haden Church, I might add) brings real humanity to Flint Marko. We actually empathise with him. Topher Grace is great, too. He has fantastic comic timing, and gives us a very slick, smarmy, but perversely likable Eddie/Venom. He gets some of the best lines (as well as some of the worst).

The established cast are all as good as ever, and have now grown nicely into their roles. They all seem comfortable, with the possible exception of James Franco - just because his character has been messed with a bit. But he does a good job considering.

And then there's Gwen.

Bryce Dallas Howard.

(*Sighs*)

Nothing much to say, really.

I suppose I could say that Gwen would never make it as a model, because she's far too healthy-looking and altogether too attractive.

But that might be a little cynical of me.

Bryce has a big future in movies. She's a very capable actor, and is obviously extremely photogenic. She just needs to stop doing bad M. Night Shyamalan films. And keep doing good Sam Raimi ones.

Speaking of capable, extremely photogenic actors who keep doing Sam Raimi movies, it's good to see Bruce Campbell in a slightly more memorable part this time. I'd never imagined him playing a cheesy French Maitre'D, but he gives a hilarious turn in a classic scene.

Yes, this film has problems, but if you just sit back and soak it up, they don't really matter that much. The movie looks great, will make you laugh, and will thrill you as well as move you.

Possibly.

I can't really speak for everyone. I mean, you might be one of those unfortunate people without a soul.

But I love it, in spite of its flaws, and I still think Sam Raimi is one of the best high-profile directors in Hollywood - because he's all about having fun. And that's what it all comes down to with Spider-Man 3.

Fun.
522 out of 778 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST effects, yet WORST movie Warning: Spoilers
I enjoyed Spider-Man 3 quite a lot. However, there were so many problems with it that I ended up only "liking" it instead of loving it like the first two films.

Let me get to the pros vs the cons:

THE GOOD

The Effects: Birth of Sandman is the coolest effect on any film I can remember. Amazing! The fight scenes were also incredibly well realized.

The Humor: J.Jonah.Jameson had some hilarious moments - especially his first scene. Bruce Campbell plays a waiter (Maitre D really) in a French restaurant, and it is probably the best scene in the whole movie! Peter dancing!

The Action: The first Sandman vs Spidey scene was very exciting. Maybe the best battle sequence from all three films. CGI-Venom looked great in the whole four-minutes of screen time he got. All the fight-scenes were EXCELLENT, well choreographed and exciting.

The Acting: James Franco has improved much as Harry. Gwen Stacey was much better used than I expected. (And she was beautiful!) Thomas Haden Church was perfect for Sandman! Topher Grace did a fine job as Brock, not so great as Venom.

I guess that is a good intro for...

THE BAD

Venom has WAY too little screen time. His story was too rushed. Sandman is made to look like a good guy, then bad, and at some points we're not sure what to think. Do we feel sorry for him? Fear him? The filmmakers couldn't decide, and it shows.

The Costumes: Harry's mask was just ridiculous! Seeing Brock's face in the Venom suit looked stupid. And the Dark Spidey suit wasn't "alive" enough. It just looked like a suit, not a living organism.

The Score (music): Some parts were OK but some parts were SO bad it ruined the scene! An example is the over-scoring of the first Dark-Spidey scene (where he's hanging upside down looking at himself in a building window). It was painfully bad, screaming out for the audience to be amazed. Like holding up an applause sign. Tacky. Then there were plenty of similar moments, mostly in other action scenes.

American Cheese: Spidey landing in front of a HUGE, randomly placed, waving American flag. The camera panning back from a crying MJ and Peter atop a huge building, to make sure we see a sunset in the background, etc. Manipulative tripe.

The evil-dudes team-up in the end was very contrived. I didn't buy it. How Spidey deals with Sandman in the end was also quite silly. Not cool at all.

The biggest problem is trying to squeeze too much into one film. Spider-Man 3 should have been about Sandman and Harry/Goblin. Venom should have been held back for the next one. The fourth film could have been all about Venom, giving him more screen time and the treatment he deserves.

I know this was Sam Raimi's original plan (not to include Venom in this film) but Avi Arad convinced him to add Venom into the story, for the fans, since everybody loves Venom.

Too bad Sam didn't follow his plan. I doubt he'll come back for more now. Let's just hope he gets to make The Hobbit (unless by some miracle Peter Jackson gets to do it after all).

Thanks for reading! :)
459 out of 683 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You have got to be kidding me
kevin-11477 May 2007
How anyone can say this was a good movie is beyond me. This quite possibly is the stupidest movie I've seen in a long long long time. And it takes a lot for me to be that negative. You actually have to try to right something so non-sensical and idiotic. I left thinking that this wasn't just the end of the Spiderman franchise but it was done via cinematic suicide. It had to be. Nothing in this movie made any sense. For instance, 1) Sandman - OK so a guy escapes from jail, goes home to see his daughter and isn't caught but then later on he's running through some marshland (in NYC no less) being chased by cops and falls into a giant wide open hole in the ground which is actually a science experiment and the scientist think he's a bird so they don't stop the experiment and the experiment makes no logical sense but turns him into the sandman and the cops that were chasing him run up on this hole as the experiment is going on (again in the middle of the NYC marshland) and are like whoa a big hole wonder if this convict fell in or something, yeah he probably did let's turn around and walk away and let this giant science experiment hole go unaddressed. WHAT!!!!! This really happened in the movie I kid you not. Unbelievable.

2)Harry tries to kill Peter because of his dad but low and behold after a wild chase through the city Peter knocks him out and of course Harry gets amnesia so he conveniently forgets for the next act of the movie that he really wants to kill Peter 3) Kirsten Dunst sings 3 songs in the movie. What is this a Broadway play? 4) Yup. It is a Broadway play. Or a bad version of Saturday Night fever as Peter does a totally ridiculous piano playing/dance number himself. Basically a retarded version of John Travolta in every move he did in the 70s.

5) OK. This was the lamest part. Harry wants to kill Peter because Peter killed his dad. But right before the final battle Harry's butler comes on screen and tells Harry that Peter didn't kill Harry's dad because he saw the wound and the wound was from his own glider so Harry's dad killed himself and Peter isn't at fault. Uh. Huh? And who are you anyway? 6) Final battle. Why exactly does Sandman want to kill Spiderman??? Wait, he doesn't. He actually says he's not a bad guy and didn't want to hurt anyone? So why did he? No reason. Only because it made for a cool 4 way battle at the end. Jeez how about we TRY to come up with some motivation for him? Sandman could have been the coolest character but he's basically a puppet.

7) Venom. Yah. OK.

There were so many other dumb plot points and ridiculous assumptions and what not that we spent the whole movie laughing.
54 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought it was great
rainbowsheeps5 May 2007
Let me start by saying I see some reasons why fan boys are upset, and some of the issues people had problems with. Yes, it packed a ton of things into it, but it made it feel more like an event. I have read comics in my life, mainly Spider-Man and Batman comics... I'm familiar with the original comics origin story of Venom and all of these characters before they hit movie screens, but I still can't understand some of the hatred and criticism that the film got. There are issues, which I'll list below, but the film has a strong emotional core with its characters that shines through here.

The dramatic elements, according to many reviewers and critics are done poorly here, but that's not the case. It's easy to feel the hurt Peter feels when MJ has to break some horrible news to him, you see his anger when he realizes Marko's connection to his murdered uncle, Ben, and the roller coaster that is Harry throughout the film even lets you sympathize with his position because you see, for the first time since the first film and done even better here, a more "innocent" side to Harry, though it doesn't last long.

Also, I did read plenty of online reviews prior to viewing and many of them gave me the feeling that the only way Peter's anger and 'dark side' is shown is through a dance number in a jazz club, which is not the case at all. You see Peter going overboard and saying and doing hurtful things all throughout the mid-section of the film, causing problems for himself and other characters and fully descending deeper and deeper into his own vengeance and anger. A lot of this part of the film is lightened with comedic elements, which is true. There is indeed a dance number, but there's a point to it and plays into a more emotionally charged scene later on. If you've read anything about tonal shifts or the film being called a "mess", I'd say don't believe it. It's done with class and maturity to make it a bit more fun, yet it doesn't take away from the more emotional and mature scenes that come prior and afterward.

Of the fight scenes, all were done well. Sandman's scenes throughout are usually the most beautiful and interesting, while Venom is done quite well too. One thing I did sorely miss was the use of the plural speech from Venom. A "We're not Brock... we are Venom!" line might have been nice. Its a minor grievance though, and all of the action scenes are done quite well, specifically the first and last.

The film is flawed, yes, but it's also quite fun. This is a small list of issues that are present throughout the film that are result of mostly lazy scriptwriting/storytelling, but didn't ruin the movie, at least for me.

Issues: - Harry's Amnesia: Amnesia always feels like lazy writing, in almost every case (except maybe Memento). In this case, it's fairly weak but its forgivable as it allows you to see a side of Harry that hasn't been seen in a long while. It opens him up to more feelings and truly allows for sympathy when things go bad for him, and particularly the end. So, to me, it was quite forgivable as I saw why they used it.

• Suit's Introduction: Yeah, the odds of the meteor crashing right next to Parker, a.k.a. Spider-Man are quite slim. The comic origin is out, of course, but perhaps tying Jameson's astronaut son from the second film by having his ship be attacked by the suit and need rescue from Spidey would have been a better way to incorporate the suit... it would have allowed for another action sequence, tie in MJ's ex-boyfriend and tied the symbiote in a little more neatly. However, perhaps such a sequence would put the budget or time limit too high.

• Butler: He mostly kept his mouth shut through the first two films, but in this one he delivers an important message to one of the characters that changes the course of the film. It's slightly forgivable because he's given a more humanized part in this film, but it's still a display of some lazy writing.

Aside from those issues, I disagreed with many of the other critiques that I've read. I don't find the comic aspects disheartening, they were done well, but from the reviews I thought it would be light on the serious and dramatic content of the films, ie, I wouldn't be emotionally invested in the characters this time around. That turned out to be false though, at least it was for me. The special effects were great, the action was great, the acting was great... but what really holds this film and makes it all feel worth it is the emotional attachment to its characters and the way it builds your feelings for them. All of these characters are flawed, some very seriously, but you care about what happens to them all and brings the first two films full-circle in terms of pretty much everything. It wraps up what's been done in the previous two and does some of those things even better.
48 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The darkest, most complex, and best of the three
darthheimdall5 May 2007
I saw the midnight showing and was blown away not only by the special effects, but also by the acting and the story. Each movie in this series is better than the last, putting this in the league of trilogies such as Star Wars (the originals) and Back to the Future.

How the movie stands on its own:

Plotwise-The primary plot is Peter Parker struggling with the arrogant and aggressive desires given to him by the alien being that has created his notorious "black suit". There are numerous subplots in the movie (Peter's ego affecting his relationship with MJ, the discovery that the Sandman was his Uncle's real killer, Harry blaming him for the death of his father, and a rival reporter in Eddie Brock, plus romantic attention from Gwen Stacey), but all of these either cause him to accept the alien's powers, or are aggravated by his use of the black suit, so they are all tied in nicely to the main plot.

Characters-Maguire is able to portray Peter's darker side while keeping his "nerdy" core. Dunst is great at portraying a jealous MJ. Franco is fantastic at being an obsessive, vengeful Harry. The versions of the Sandman and Venom portrayed by Thomas Hayden Church and Topher Grace, respectively, are different from the comic versions, I am told, but within the scope of the movie, they are well done, especially considering the lack of screen time they each get. Here, the Sandman is a sad, reluctant villain who stoops to crime to get money to find a cure for his daughter, and Eddie Brock/Venom is a cocky, devious "evil twin nerd" version of Peter Parker. Bruce Campbell as a French host is hilarious. The actress who played Gwen Stacey doesn't get as big of a part as she deserves, but she works with what she has.

Setting-New York City, so it's obviously good. Also loved the American Flag in the background before the final battle-USA! USA!

Dialogue-Funny moments such as J. Jonah Jameson being buzzed to take his blood pressure medication more than make up for cheesy lines said during a break-up scene on a bridge in a park.

Flaws: -The villains, since there are three of them, aren't as well developed as they are in the first two movies. In particular, Venom needed more screen time (and a MUCH closer relationship to Gwen) to give him more of a motive for hating Spiderman. This is a shame, considering how well Doc Oc was characterized in the second movie. -Some of the emotional moments (i.e. the bridge break-up) are overacted, making them somewhat cheesy. -MAJOR SPOILER: Harry changes sides way too quickly after a less-than-minor character tells him the truth about what happened to his father. END OF SPOILER.

The good elements of this movie far outweigh the bad elements, and it is honestly the best movie I have seen in a long time. Not only is it a great story, but it also has a brilliant theme of how liberating forgiveness is and how poisoning revenge is in contrast. There are rumors of a fourth movie coming out; all I have to say is, if Sam Raimi, Maguire, Dunst, and other members of the original cast are still in it, I am SO there!
77 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider-Man 3 is adequate, but adequate just isn't enough.
thecowardlylorin5 May 2007
My feelings after watching the third film are somewhere in the neighborhood of satisfied, but that feeling is fairly disappointing. Satisfied more or less means adequate and to follow a sequel that I consider excellent with a film that's only adequate is a certainly a step down. Positively, Spider-Man 3 does reasonably well at maintaining a feeling similar to that of the first two films. I never felt like I wasn't seeing the same world or characters and that's important to me. Continuity in tone really helps hold a series together. The Matrix Reloaded never felt to me like I was witnessing the continuation of the story and world presented in the first installment. The scenery and characters felt like weak and dull recreations and that really bugged me. The New-York of Spider-Man 3 is about the same as before, as is Peter's apartment, The Daily Bugle offices, etc. Peter, Harry, Mary Jane, Aunt May, etc. also carry over well and it's easy to jump back into their lives. Where it doesn't feel like its predecessors is in its pacing and scope. The film tries to tell a lot of story for one film, much more than either the previous installments. This makes it messy. If you took Spider-Man 1 and 2's stories, wove them together and compressed them into one 2 hour film, you'd have a mess pretty similar to Spider-Man 3. A lot of this has to do with poor exposition and the decision to include three villains. In good exposition, events lead to other events and it all seems to flow naturally. Some films end up feeling like a story wasn't really even written, but instead a series of well-crafted scenes that don't necessarily fit well together. A bunch of smaller scenes are then written to connect those scenes. These scenes can feel very forced because they often rely heavily on coincidence. The Matrix Reloaded is full of these contrived scenes and so is Spider-Man 3. They're frustrating because they act like speed bumps where the plot suddenly feels awkward and my enjoyment of the film drops. One scene sticks out particularly in Spider-Man 3 as too awkward. Venom, one of the super-villains, is swinging through alleyways when he is ambushed by the Sandman, another villain. Venom proposes they team to get Spider-Man together, Sandman agrees, end scene. This scene is needed to set up the final, huge battle of the film but just seems poorly worked in. For one it's very short, and two the characters don't know each other and have completely different motives for being villains. That the two would decide that quickly to become partners after coincidentally running into each other is just sloppy to watch.

Despite how it seems, I didn't hate the film. I was just disappointed in its flow as a narrative and thought it aimed much higher than it should have in terms of what to include plot wise. Regardless though, many scenes were very enjoyable to watch and I don't just mean action scenes. The Daily Bugle scenes, as always, were great and funny. The addition of Topher Grace as Peter's photographer rival, Eddie Brock, was great casting. His line delivery works perfectly with his character's sleazy personality and his scenes with Peter are some of the best. The character Harry Osborne returns and becomes one of the film's three villains: a new Green Goblin that takes over where the Goblin of the first film left off. Harry and Peter's relationship is probably the most interesting part of the story. Their struggle between being friends and enemies makes for some tense moments. One of my favorite scenes in the film is a verbal confrontation in a diner between Peter and Harry. Playing off Peter's presumption that he and Harry are back on good terms, Harry orchestrates a bit of nasty drama that sticks a knife in Pete's love life. He has Peter meet him in a diner just to drive the knife in a little further. As Pete storms out, Harry is awash in sadistic joy with himself before making a fast and creepy exit. Harry is really the best handled villain of the film. Not only as the Green Goblin Jr. fighting Spider-Man in the sky much the way his father did, but as Harry, Peter's estranged friend, using their friendship as a pretty sharp weapon against him. The villain I could have done without was the Sandman. His character was interesting but his place in the film as a main character seemed unnecessary and forced. He's an escaped convict running from the police who accidentally falls into a big science experiment and becomes the Sandman. He is also apparently the actual killer of Peter's uncle Ben thus giving Peter motivation to go after him. This reworking of the first film's story seems very far fetched and unnecessary. The computer effects used to create Sandman are terrific as is the performance by Thomas Hayden-Church, but I think the film would have improved without him. More time could then have been given to the conflicts with Harry and Eddie and likewise Goblin and Venom. Venom is particularly nice because he's the only villain not the product of some crazy experiment gone wrong. His creation is almost entirely Peter's fault. Venom acts as a slimy toothy grinning anti-Spider-Man, who hates Spider-Man on a personal level after Eddie Brock loses his job and girlfriend and holds Peter responsible. Two villains definitely would've been enough for one film, especially two villains that feel wronged by Peter personally, not just Peter as Spider-Man. I don't really want them to continue this series, but since it seems like they may anyway, I hope some lesson is learned with number three that less really can be more. If the time that was spent awkwardly packing too many stories into one film was instead spent working on one good story so that it flowed naturally, Spider-Man 3 could have excelled the way number two did.
283 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good movie...but more importantly a two parter.
God75 May 2007
The movie was very good..just as good as 2 was...not better..but just as good.. even though there were some corny lines..it doesn't mean the enteire movie is bad...damn..

I don't think I have contained any spoilers..but just know the following..

if the movie was sentimental..like..when the characters were crying..well.they had a good reason to cry..Peters best friend dies...and he cries...and the audience laughs at him..? I was like..wtf!!!...

The whole point is..if you had watched the movie..and was really paying attention..this movie was kindoff like a 1stparter..and spiderman 4 would be the 2nd parter..

When the movie ended..I was like...the movie was good...but it just didn't end for me..I was just relieved that everything turned out good and back to normal..because the movie and story itself were very very dark concerning peter after he was being possessed by the symbiote by some level...

And if you had watched the cartoons..and even read a couple of comics on this story..you just had to know..that a sequel to this..just had to come.. The movie now...is incomplete..

Allot of people have been thinking like the movie was crap..and not good...just bad...because it was incomplete while they were thinking that this was the story itself...

I think that spiderman 3 is just an unfinished story....which continues in spiderman 4...

Tobey Maguire iss now the oficial real-live image of peter parker..M.J. lives through Kirsten dunst..and the rest of the supporting cast was just what was needed..and they did better. spiderman 3 will....well...it is an over-hyped film..that just couldn't do better than spiderman 2..because the audience wants to see better and better every time a sequel comes out.. It was a good movie..recommended to anyone..

if there are some haters..its they're opinion.. I just find everything in this movie..
61 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All I can see is people choking their opinions down the throats of people who loved it
Areeb Khan15 December 2014
First things first, about the emo Parker. I thought that was good. The movie needed some laughs, and he was there to give it. You wanna talk about bad Peter portrayal? Go watch the Amazing Spider-Man series, and enjoy as the so-called "Peter" does a flip on his skateboard and write "I love you" with his webs on bridge (Ha-ha-ha!). Sam Raimi didn't want to include Venom in this movie, but was forced to. All the fans complain about is that he didn't get enough screen time. Touche to that, truly. BUT, even the little screen time given to him was enough for us to see what he did in a very little time, and we wanted him dead. Now, for the best parts, tell me, didn't you guys like the Sandman part? The bad-ass villain was everything I wanted in this movie, and more. AGAIN, WANT TO SEE A BAD EXAMPLE OF TOO MANY VILLAINS IN ONE MOVIE? WATCH THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! This movie didn't leave anything half-assed at least. The movie has grossed much more than any of the later Spider-Man movies (or should I even call them that) earned, and the only thing I was disappointed in was that they couldn't get the original series to finish off properly. Long story short, despite what you guys might say, I really loved this movie, and you should really look into the fact that Tobey pulled off the emo part well too.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gotta See Movie
Ghumibhear7 May 2007
Even though there is more romance in Spider man 3 it's equaled out with the action that keeps you on the edge of your seat. MaryJane is a little betrayed by Peter Parker, feeling alone and probably envying the new publcity that spidey was getting falls into the arms of Spider Man's rival the New Green Goblin. Peter now finally comes to terms with being spider-man and knowing that he has a dark side too. Peter find himself asking the New Green Goblin for help fighting the Sandman and Venom. It comes to a startling end when the new green goblin comes to the rescue of both of his friends.

Overall Topher Grace and James Franco are the two hottest guys in the movie. If you don't like the action these two guys are diffently worth watching on screen.
58 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Does whatever a spider can"...and a whole lot more...
moviefan2k413 May 2007
Life for Peter Parker in the city of New York has never been better. His web-slinging alter-ego, Spider-Man, is the hero of millions; his "day job" at the Daily Bugle is going strong. His college grades are in top form, and to top it all off, he and the lovely Mary-Jane Watson are madly in love with each other. For once in his life, Peter has very little to worry about...until a strange, small object crashes into Central Park, unleashing a living black ooze that eventually...well, more on that later.

On the other side of town, Flint Marko sneaks into his sleeping daughter's bedroom through an open window. Before leaving, he has a few words with his estranged wife about their child, and then leaves, lamenting, "I'm not a bad person. I've just had bad luck." The same night, Peter stops by Aunt May's apartment to tell her of his plans to marry MJ. May shares a heartfelt story about her late husband Ben, and how he proposed to her 50 years prior. Peter is on his trusty moped, when out of nowhere Harry Osborn swoops him into the sky for a battle-royale that ends with Peter sliced a few times, and Harry in a severe coma. A few days later, he awakes with very little of his recent memories, prompting some heartfelt scenes that touch on what Harry's life might have been, had his father not been so neglectful.

As for Mary-Jane...well, her job at a Broadway show is cut off, and due to his crime patrols, Peter hasn't exactly been the most attentive guy on the planet. Neglected, confused, and borderline hopeless, MJ's mood only gets worse when, at a special ceremony, Spidey is given the key to the city, and gets an upside-down kiss from blonde bombshell Gwen Stacy! Jealous and frustrated, she is shattered when Peter takes her for a romantic dinner, and Gwen shows up to say "hi". MJ walks out, blind to Peter's plan of a (now-botched) wedding proposal.

Meanwhile, Harry is recovering at home from his stay in the hospital, when his memories return in a flood of imagery, restoring his desire for vengeance against Peter. He blackmails MJ into dumping Peter, telling her she'll die if she refuses. And, the police inform Peter and Aunt May that Uncle Ben was not killed by a random carjacker. Instead, their new suspect is none other than Flint Marko, who falls into a crater after escaping a chase, only to become trapped in a nuclear experiment that transforms him into a being made entirely of living sand.

And as for that black ooze, it bonds itself with Peter's costume while he sleeps. Peter's mind slowly crumbles under this symbiotic influence, going so far that he retaliates against everyone. A fight with Marko leaves Peter believing him dead after opening a floodgate. Harry and Peter have a fistfight inside the Osborn mansion, leaving Harry disfigured by his own pumpkin bomb. News rival Eddie Brock's work is revealed to be a fraud, causing J. Jonah Jameson to publicly fire him. And Peter even woos Gwen Stacy, right in front of Mary-Jane! All these events come to a devastating head when, during a barfight, Peter forcefully knocks Mary-Jane to the floor. Faced with all the consequences of his actions, Peter flees to a cathedral, where the sound of the tolling bells causes the symbiote to weaken, and Peter rips it away from his body...

...where it drips down through the rafters, and lands on a grieving, bitter, and angry Eddie Brock. Consumed by the evil entity's power, Brock is transformed into the psychotic creature known only as Venom. Tracking down the Sandman, Venom arranges a team-up to take down the heroic wall-crawler, and kidnaps Mary-Jane to use as bait. Soon, Peter swings to the rescue, once again clad in his familiar red-and-blues. But the fight is too much for even him, and as the "Sandman" prepares for a death-blow, Harry appears, having been told the truth behind his evil father's demise. Thus, its two against two across the skies and down the streets of New York. In the end...well, let's just say many lessons are learned, about love, duty, and yes, even responsibility. When all is said and done, Peter somberly approaches MJ, with one sentiment on his mind...
41 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spider Man 3 is Marvel's cinematic PEARL...
guy3034 May 2007
OK, I'm Gonna start off by saying that this is my first review on the site, because after seeing "Spider Man 3" I felt the urge to fully Analise it:

Story- 10/10 The Story picks up from where it ended, leading the characters from the first two films onward to realizing their Comic- Book Potential (Especially Spidey Himself- Notice the "Key-to-the city" gig when he poses... That's Definitely the Spidey we all know) and placing the new characters in a very fitting way... it all goes as it should considering the story.

Characters- 10/10 This is one of the things I liked most about this film- the FANTASTIC characters and how they develop. every character has a story of it's own and all of them are interesting, compelling and exciting in such a way that I have never seen in a Comic- Flick Since "Batman Begins". The best were Definitely Flint Marko/Sandman and Eddie Brock Jr./Venom. The first with his sad and Tragic persona and the other with his frustration and thirst for vengeance... both were very vital for this film and came through all the way.

Acting- 7/10 This is NOT "Gone with the Wind", folks! It's an action/ comics flick so obviously we won't see any Oscar- worthy performances... when Peter started crying on Harry's dead body, THE ENTIRE THEATER BURSTED WITH LAUGHTER!!! However, here once again "the rescue" came from the villains: Topher Grace was absolutely Awesome as both Eddie Brock and Venom; he gave a powerful and very believable performance, and Thomas Haden Church did a TERRIFIC job portraying the Sandman (And the funny part is: I don't even like "Sandman" OR Thomas Haden Church! how crazy is THAT?)

Action sequences- 10/10 Not A LOT of it but when there is some... its just beautiful... every action sequence is better then the previous one, and altogether you get some of the most unforgettable action- sequences both in Spidey history and comic- flicks history..

Humor- 7/10 I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard in an Action- flick... as a matter of fact... I NEVER *EVER* LAUGHD SO HARD IN AN ACTION FLICK BEFORE! this film has parts that are absolutely hilarious, and most of them belongs to J.K Simmons's as J.J Jameson! (also I would like to add: the rumors are true: Bruce Campbell's cameo= PURE GOLD) but one of the main problems is that it didn't know when to stop and I found myself nearly crying when Peter started dance- walking in the streets, hitting on chicks... I just wanted it to stop! and don't even get me started on that Emo- crap!)

Visual/ Special Effects- *11*/10 Yeah, you heard me! 11 out of 10!! 11!! 250,000,000 $!!! you can CLEARLY see where all the money went. Visually speaking, this is the best Film of 2007! NO JOKE!

and finally... the most important:

Staying true to the Comic- book's Spirit- 10/10 I can't even describe it with words... you will understand when you see it, trust me.

If you are a true "Spider Man" Fan, go see it NOW! I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed.
51 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry for those who hated it
abrown968715 May 2007
I really do feel sorry for those that enjoyed the first two Spiderman films, but hated this one. I really enjoyed it, and for those of us who did, it keeps going or completes the story of Spiderman. Was it as good as the first? Yes, maybe better. Was it as good as the second? Nope, and I truly believe that may be why some do not care for it as much.

Don't get me wrong it has its problems. It did have a feeling of having too much crammed into one film, and the scene with Osborn's butler telling him that his father killed himself was the low point. Overall though the film was fun, had awesome effects, great bad guys, cool fight scenes, and most importantly it kept the focus of the film on Peter Parker/Spiderman. Not on Venom, which some of those that absolutely think the film sucks actually wanted.

Yes I know Venom has a huge following, but it is not a film about him. All Spiderman films have kept the villains as antagonists that keep the film going, nothing more, and that is how it should have been. Through out all three films the main story is about PP and MJ like it or not.

Overall I think that Spiderman 3 is a great addition to the Spiderman films. The movie explores the "dark" things that people do to each other, and the ability to forgive those that do. I also liked the low key ending, which was different then the first two. It was subtle and suited the overall theme of the film. It also showed the finality of the series, while at the same time leaving room for a possible sequel. Once again sorry to those who hated it, because for those that loved it we now have the best comic book trilogy ever put on film.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A shame ... (may contain spoilers)
azjazz6 July 2007
My opinions: Spider-man 1 was flawed, but still decent. It had a number of rough spots where the acting was shallow, the script was weak, and the special effects were too cartoonish. However, the plot-line held together, and the movie was a fun ride.

Spider-man 2 surpassed the original in many ways - The characters were better defined, the humor flowed well, the pacing was good, and the acting was better overall. In addition, the special effects were more believable without being overdone. Marvel & Raimi learned from the first movie, and came up with an excellent sequel.

Now, on to Spider-man 3 ...

An odd thought crept into my mind about 20 minutes into the movie. Usually, I'm so engrossed in a movie, I just enjoy the ride and don't try too think hard about the quality of the production until after the movie is over.

During the first of many slow points, the thought that hit me was: "Don't worry ... It will get better." Sadly, I was mistaken.

Where the second Spider-man movie built upon the first, the third in the series was unfocused and added nothing to the other two.

The acting was arguably the worst of the three. This time, I can't even blame it on the actors being fed a bad script. The scenes that were supposed to be dramatic or romantic turned out to contain some of the funniest parts of the movie. The scenes that were intended to be humorous ended up being stupid or embarrassing, and not a single person laughed in the theater.

The pacing of the movie was poor - though not as bad as some other Marvel movies.

Again (as usual), Marvel attempted to bring too many characters & plot lines into a single movie. Let's see ... what plot lines did we get in this movie? Harry Osborn. The Green Goblin. The Sandman. Gwen Stacy. Uncle Ben. Eddie Brock. The symbiote. And, of course, personal issues with Mary Jane.

One thing that I thought that Marvel finally learned in the second Spider-man movie was to keep the plot lines simple and characters to a minimum. In that movie, it was basically just Doc Ock and some token appearances by Harry Osborn. (And, of course, personal issues with Mary Jane.) One major plot line with the rest of the subplots neatly weaving in.

Whatever Marvel learned in the second movie in this regard was forgotten by Spider-Man 3. Almost all of the plots mentioned were struggling to be the main plot line. Instead of weaving together, they tended to stand alone.

Regarding the special effects, they were obviously where the money went in this production. Spider-man 3 reportedly cost a quarter of a billion dollars to produce. That money brought forth a lot of flashy special effects that were way too congested during the fight scenes to be able to really appreciate what was going on. I can't imagine what they would look like on a small TV screen when they were so hard to follow on the big screen. The fight scenes had so much high-speed dodging of chunks of concrete/building parts/glass/etc, that the scenes lost credibility due to the special effects. I've always felt that special effects should add believability to a scene, and not draw attention to the fact that special effects are even being used. Spider-man 3 failed in this regard.

In my opinion, the best special effects were when the Sandman was the sole character on the screen. Those scenes were very believable.

Probably the most telling feature about the final quality of Spider-Man 3 was not what occurred on the screen, however. It was what occurred in the theater: People were walking out in the middle of the movie, and not returning. I would estimate that about 20% of the audience had left prior to the end of the show. There were many points during the movie that I was tempted to leave as well.

But, I kept thinking: "Don't worry ... It will get better."

'Nuff said.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
some good things but it never comes together
Special-K888 May 2007
Third entry has Peter Parker and alter ego Spider-Man fighting what could possibly be the greatest battle of his life. The intrepid Parker is on top of the world as N.Y.C. citizens have finally come to appreciate all of his heroic deeds, but more importantly he's found a stable relationship with Mary Jane Watson. His seemingly perfect existence comes to an abrupt halt when he learns that his uncle's real killer is still at large, he acquires a rival at the Daily Bugle, and best friend-turned-bitter adversary Harry Osborn comes seeking revenge. Peter also bonds with an unusual black symbiote that unleashes a darker side of him and threatens to destroy everything he holds dear. Some effective moments of intense, exciting action and superior special effects are undermined by overlength, and juxtaposed against moments of corny, unintentionally funny human drama. The ingredients for a success are there, including a good cast and some interesting subplots, but they can't overcome a leaden script which chooses to revel in its mawkish material rather than flesh out its characters or tell a coherent story. Watchable, but never as engaging or spectacular as its predecessors. **½
216 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quick review of Spider-Man 3
skywalker_ep34 May 2007
Well, your friendly neighbourhood superhero is back!

Its a different time now for Peter Parker as Spider-Man now becoming an icon,hero and idol for the people of New York. Consequently, it makes Parker become egoistic and arrogant and thus lead to many conflicts that he need to overcome as a human and a hero.

The good aspects about this film are : 1-The action sequences are stylish, brilliantly done and intense as hell. You need to see to believe it! The used of CGI here deserve an applause.

2- For a superhero flick, it balance its heart-pumping action scenes and well written drama with flair.

3- The creation of Sandman and Venom are very memorable and astounding.

4- J. Jonah Jameson and the Maître d' (brilliantly played by Bruce Campbell) really steal every scenes their in! Pure classic comedy moment.

5- The ending. A bit cliché but still sum up the trilogy quite nicely. It also provide hints that the future of this franchise is still bright.

The negative aspects of this flick: 1- The pacing. It felt rush ( not as smooth as Spider-Man 2) and there is little character development, especially from the villains. I felt for Dr.Ock from spider-man 2 far more than Sandman and Venom combine. The beautiful Gwen Stacy doesn't contribute much to the film. A waste of time for her actually. They should save this girl for the next film to produce more tension for Parker and Mary Jane.

2-Lots of crying and disco dancing. The scene in the club, where Parker (his dark side) expose his talent in dancing ( Fez from That 70's Show comes to my mind immediately when i watched this scene)is overlong. They should just cut it a bit and add more character development.

3-The climax. It so predictable and the dialogues from the female reporter are cringe-inducing . " Oh, the brutality." Enough said.

Overall, its still an enjoyable movie. I enjoyed it better than Spider-Man 1 but I think it cannot top the brilliant of Spider-Man 2. I hope if there is a Spider-Man 4, there should stick to one villain in that movie. It really makes all the different.
263 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect example of trying to fit TOO much into a movie
Paul1 May 2007
OK, I'm a HUGE fan of Spiderman...Liked the first movie, LOVED the second flick and was dying to see the third one. And since I live in Korea, I was able to see the movie tonight (SM3 opened in Asia 3 days before it opens in North America). I'm sad to say, I was let down by the third film.

The biggest issue by far is the fact that there are FAR too many story lines going on at once. The movie feels very bogged down and not nearly enough time is given for proper character development.

In this movie, there is Spiderman, Mary Jane, Gwen Stacey, "New" Goblin Venom and Sandman. Each character is given the bare amount of time for development.

I'm assuming that since most of the cast is non-committal to returning for a fourth movie, the filmmakers decided to throw as many stories into this movie in case it was the end. It really takes away from the movie as a whole.

The other big issue I have is the very forced sense of humor the movie tries to take. From a very lame riff on John Travolta's walk from "Saturday night fever" to watching Peter Parker dance to jazz music, a lot of the humor feels like it's was written for a SNL sketch.

There is a very poor ending involving Spiderman and Sandman that defies logic.

I sincerely hope this is NOT the last Spiderman film, because if it is, it's certainly not the best way for the series to end. None of the magic and originality of the second film are here. I hope that a decision is made to do a fourth film and I hope if a fourth film is made, the filmmakers decide to go back to what made the second film so special.

** out of *****
260 out of 425 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some great action sequences are lost in a film who's script tries to do too much and be all things to all people
dbborroughs6 May 2007
Add my voice to those underwhelmed by the latest edition of the Spiderman franchise. While it does contain some of the best action sequences I've ever seen, it is far from the best film ever made.

The problem with the film is that there is simply too much going on. First off you have the Peter/MJ relationship bumping along, add to that the Peter/Harry story line still playing out, plus we have the addition of the Sandman story and coming in in the final half hour is the addition of Venom. Its too much for the movie to handle, the result of which it all feels half baked. Very few of the characters get the proper amount of time to develop with the worst offender is Eddie Brock and Venom who get zero and so seem to belong in another movie (Venom looks great which makes his under use seem even worse). The real proof the film has too much going on was that there are a couple of times where the plot is moved along by sudden out of left field revelations. The only one I"ll reveal, because its in the trailer, is that Sandman killed Uncle Ben in the first film. Had the film been better plotted the revelation wouldn't have been necessary, nor would any of the others.

There are some bright spots, the majority of the Sandman material is sterling, with the first appearance of Sandman in the sand pit almost perfect, and the sequence that makes up his first battle with Spidey one of the greatest things I've ever seen put on film. The Sandman sequences alone make it worth slogging through the ups and downs of the rest of the movie.

Is it a bad movie? No, just a disappointing one. Its clear that this could have and should have been the best in the series (and maybe the best film of the year) had all of the right pieces been put in place, indeed the final sequences in the film probably would have reduced most audiences to tears had they gotten the rest of the film right.

As I said the film is worth seeing at some point, just don't feel the need to run out with everyone else. Was it worth fighting the crowds the first weekend to see? Not really, but it is worth seeing. Hopefully they'll take a break before they make the next one, maybe they'll make the one that this movie should have been
177 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big-Budget Special-Effects Extravaganza, Out Of Focus
HalRagland6 May 2007
"Spider-Man 3" comes really close to being as difficult to follow as an "X-Men" movie. Well, maybe not that close since an "X-Men" movie requires the viewer to try to follow the lives of at least a dozen different characters. But I think it was a mistake for the makers to have Spidey contend with three different villains in one film. Unlike the two superior predecessors, it felt like they were trying to cram three movies into one with "Spider-Man 3".

I was most disappointed with the use, or misuse, of the Harry Osborne/Green Goblin character. We know that Harry must become the Green Goblin if he is going to have the ability to take on his super hero nemesis Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The makers of "Spider-Man 3" waste no time in picking up where "Spider-Man 2" left off. Not only does the movie not allow the viewer to observe Harry's transformation into the Green Goblin, but Harry doesn't even dress appropriately for his role. He wears a black uniform and never becomes the public menace his father did. I was looking forward to the Daily Bugle covers about the return of the menace of the Green Goblin. Instead Harry's campaign of revenge against Peter is quickly side tracked by a bout with amnesia after suffering a blow to the head in a fall during his first fight with Peter. After all, the film needs to introduce two more villains, Sandman and Venom, before it ends.

Whereas, in the first two films the viewer really gets to know the Norman Osborn and Otto Octavius characters, in "Spider-Man 3" the length of time devoted to the villains amounts to a movie short. Along the way Peter Parker must also contend with his dark side and his troubles in his relationship with his love Mary Jane Watson. Meanwhile, the landlord's daughter, Ursula, is back to amuse viewers once again with her adolescent crush on Pete. Add to all this the time needed to develop the Sandman and Venom villains, plus Gwen Stacy, and I was left wondering exactly what the movie is about.

"Spider-Man 3" is big budget extravaganza that is out of focus in the areas of character and plot development. While it has its laugh inducing comic moments and the best special effects sequences money can buy, it has little else to offer. While I really wanted to see the first two movies again, because I enjoyed the transformation of the main characters into super heroes and villains, it feels like the only reason to see "Spider-Man 3" is to check out the special effects again. If there are more Spider-Man films made, and there is no reason to believe there won't be given the money involved in releasing another film, then I would hope that the makers would simplify the story once again and do what made the first two films so enjoyable to watch.
243 out of 402 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great, Amazing Movie!!!
Skip_45916 May 2007
**mild spoilers*** I thought this was a fantastic movie. All of the plots seemed well balanced, the screenplay was outstanding, the score really set the tone for the film and created atmosphere, the acting was at it's best from everyone, the action was outstanding, and overall it was a great, amazing, extraordinary film! The more evil spidey was simply fun to watch. It was a nice change of pace for the character and it really gave the movie its own separate kind of feel. It was different than the first two films. And that was a very good thing.

This is also the funniest spider-man film. There are a lot of hilarious moments in it, and the best part is that they don't take away from the slightly darker tone of the film. They make it even more enjoyable than it already is.

I loved the villains. Sandman was great, the New Goblin was great, and Venom was just absolutely spectacular. Topher Grace in an evil role was genius.

Speaking of which, Topher Grace, who plays Eddie Brock, has some really awesome moments as well, and the transformation sequence from him into Venom was just great. The final battle scenes at the end with him are some of the best scenes in the series. He did an outstanding job in his role.

Probably my favorite scene is the jazz club scene, where the more evil and edgier Peter Parker shows off his dancing talent (and later gets a little violent with some people). It was funny, shocking, and just plain entertaining. The evil Peter scenes are some of the best in the movie.

The special effects were outstanding to say the least. There were, as usual, some parts here and there where they weren't as top-notch as they could have been, but for the most part, they were outstanding.

Some people argued that the film was a little too long, but I think it was too short. It could have been even better if there were more Sandman, Venom, and evil Spidey scenes. Maybe one more Goblin attack as well. But what we got is still very awesome! Perhaps there will be an extended edition in the future, like what they did with Spiderman 2.

There are only two flaws I can think of in the film. The first is that there is, in the middle of the film, a long period of time where we don't see Peter Parker in his Spiderman outfit. Now I didn't mind this, I thought it was great...but the problem is that this period of time might affect my future viewings of the film. Still, the first time I saw it, i loved that section of the film, I thought it was gorgeous.

The other flaw is that in the final battle, some more fighting with Venom would have been nice. I mean there is a lot of fighting in the final battle between Spiderman and Venom, but the character of Venom was so well done in the movie that even more fighting would have better satisfied me. If it were also a little more violent, that would have been better too because it could have given the darker tone more justice. There is still a chance of an extended edition, though, and the final battle is still awesome.

All in all, this movie was an outstanding ride, a true masterpiece, and one of the most entertaining movies i've seen in a long time. I'm not sure whether this is my favorite spidey film, but it probably is. It's an amazing movie, well worth my time. Go see it! I give it a 10 out of 10.
52 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Let Down.
imajestr4 May 2007
There are some things that work really well, like the goofy comedy that's also present in the other movies. The movie starts off nicely with a great looking action sequence that implies how great the rest of it could be. The special effects are fantastic. Unfortunately, the movie is so convoluted that anything like a coherent plot is lost, as well as any significant character development further than Harry, Mary Jane or Peter himself.

Peter's "transformation" into a darker self when he dons the dark suit is laughable. You're not sure whether you're watching a comedy, a drama, or a purposefully ridiculous B movie. Peter's actions are so over the top that you just want to laugh at the script rather than WITH it.

The main villains get only a short amount of screen time, and by the "big" ending you're just wondering when Dawson's Creek is going to end and when Spiderman 3 will begin. 90% of the film consists of Peter Parker walking around, crying, and making a fool of himself in various over-the-top ways. Perhaps I went in with too many expectations, such as the possibility of an atmosphere to the film that would fit with what was happening.

As a fan of the old cartoon, and a real fan of Venom, I was incredibly let down by the amount of time spent on his character, as well as the fact that Topher Grace is essentially Eric from That 70's Show, and I don't mean that it's the same actor. He's the same scrawny, sarcastic joker that he always plays, which, if you're familiar with the comic or the cartoon, Eddie Brock was NOT. Even if you've never heard of Venom or aren't a big fan, the villain has a total of about fifteen minutes on screen and isn't very exciting, nor is anything about him explained. He's simply suddenly THERE, as if thrown into the movie only to get butts in the seats. So feels the entire movie. It all seems like filler, even as the end credits start.

There was a point about halfway through the movie that I simply gave up trying to justify the movie, and realized that it was just plain bad. They tried to do too much, and by having so many villains, weren't able to make a single one very deep. And the whole "inner conflict" theme is a joke. Literally. Peter's "dark side" is more comedy than anything else.

I recommend waiting for this to come out on video and giving it a rent if you're really that much of a fan. Overall, it's a big let down considering the expectations and hype surrounding it.
790 out of 1,381 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong third outing, but doesn't quite match the brilliance of Spider-Man 2
space_base22 April 2007
While it does at times tiptoe on the line of being an epic and brilliant work of cinema, SPIDER-MAN 3 is also a big case of overkill. There's way too much going on, and it just seems to keep on coming.

After a somewhat shaky series of opening scenes (with that voice-over narration by Maguire still being as lame as always), the movie quickly finds its balance. It isn't until the symbiote subplot (involving the black Spidey suit) gets into full swing that things become a little too hectic. Director Sam Raimi pulls off an incredible feat by making the never-ending onslaught of subplots balance as well as they do, but the pieces still don't fit to the extent that you'd hope. There's enough plot here for two or three different movies, with plenty of obstacles for Peter to overcome and an ample amount of baddies for him to fight. But in putting the four main plot lines together (i.e., revenge against Sandman, Peter's relationship with Harry, the symbiote suit/Venom, and problems with MJ), the whole experience becomes overwhelming. There's not nearly enough time to absorb all the intertwining threads, no matter how hard the filmmakers obviously try to make it work.

That's not to say this is a bad movie. Far from it. In fact, despite its shortcomings, this picture still marks one of the most fun times I've had at the movies. It wasn't even until after I left the screening that I started to realize how many problems it had. I bet a large percentage of moviegoers will feel the same, being so taken aback by the constant action sequences and stream of story lines that they never even get a chance to notice the film's problems. That's the good news. Bad news is, there's no way these issues will go unnoticed upon repeat viewings. While SPIDER-MAN 2 seems to just keep getting better with each consecutive viewing, I see this one coming up short. It's still less problematic than the first film (which already feels a bit dated), but it just can't compete with the damn near flawless second.

One of the few complaints I had with SPIDEY 2 was the "raindrops are falling on my head" sequence. It was silly and awkward, not fitting well with the rest of the film's style... Well, this sequel tops it. After the symbiote takes over Parker, there's a lengthy montage sequence of him (now turned emo) strutting down the street, dancing around and pelvic thrusting at women. It's basically him hopping about to music while looking like a jackass. And it gets worse. He goes with Gwen Stacy (a hot but disappointingly extraneous character) to a club, where MJ is currently working, and basically reenacts the scene from ANCHORMAN where Will Ferrell starts randomly playing the trumpet and hopping across tables. There are slight differences, of course; this one involves a piano and groovy dance moves. But the outcome is the same, leaving audience member's mouths agape at the uncomfortable hilarity. They really should've saved that scene for the DVD outtakes. Then it'd at least be fitting.

Fortunately, the whole movie isn't plagued by scenes like these. It's only rarely that things start getting ridiculous or cheesy to the point where you can't help but roll your eyes. The other problem comes in the way of bits of awkward dialog and rushed character development. There's about an 80% hit rate where everything in the script is as smooth as can be, but that last 20% block does hurt the a few vital aspects of the storytelling. Particularly when it comes to fleshing out character motives and emotional conflicts (something that was given almost complete focus in the first two movies).

At least the action sequences stand strong as some of the most spectacular since... well, SPIDER-MAN 2. They take full advantage of the characters' abilities and surroundings, and then fuse the two together to create a number of downright breathtaking moments. The CGI isn't quite flawless yet, but it's still a visual feast for the eyes. The only disappointment is the use of Venom. He does get some time to shine in the movie's third act (or possibly ninth, taking into account how many different stories overlap), but Topher Grace removes all of the character's menace. It really hurts me to write that, considering how wonderfully handled everything was concerning Brock's character before that point. But alas, despite Grace's strong and amiable efforts, his voice is just too awkward coming out of Venom's mouth. And all they needed was some slight voice alteration to fix the problem. Drats.

SPIDER-MAN 3 may not be a flawless endeavor, but it's certainly epic. Raimi and company reach for the stars, and instead end up making it halfway across the universe. It's one bumpy and crazy ride getting there, but when things go well, they go really damn well. And while some movie trilogies end on a note that make you yearn for one last installment to redeem the series (I'm looking at you, X3!), we should be so lucky to get a conclusive finish to the SPIDER-MAN series. Almost brings a tear to my eye.
134 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite simply, the best comic book movie ever made.....
emperor_tom5 May 2007
One of the best things about Marvel comics, at least the golden age of Marvel Comics, is their ability to blend action, comedy, romance and drama into one beautifully enjoyable piece of artwork. The first two Spiderman films managed to being this beauty to life on the big screen, making us laugh, making us cry, making us scream, but most of all, thrilling us with a perfect display of cinematic goodness. So how does Spiderman 3, advertised as the darkest of the films, measure up ti its predecessors. Well bud, if you thought you'd seen it all, you ain't seen nothing' yet.

For Spiderman 3 is glorious in every sense of the word. From its flashback opening credits sequence to its beautifully underplayed conclusion, the whole film is so full of life and colour that you cant take your eyes off the screen. It is, to date, the only film I've seen where the audience applauded at the end. It should be noted that this was a cinema in a notoriously hard to please part of town, giving an indication of just how well its being received.

In this film we see how Spidey deals with more villains than ever before, and how Peter Parker deals with personal problems beyond anything he ever thought he'd face. Spiderman has become a celebrity in New York, elevating Parkers ego to an unprecedented scale. Meanwhile, Mary Jane is seeing her career take a downturn, being dropped from a promising stage role in favour of an actress who can sing better. Que an hilarious scene where an oblivious Peter tries to build up MJ's confidence by advising her on the perils of celebrity ('kids love me, Halloweens a busy time...'). This film has more heart than the previous 2 spideys, and really makes us feel for the characters.

But its the action scenes that most people will flock to this film to see, and they do not disappoint. Thomas Haden Church convinces as the Sandman, whilst Topher Grace is the slimy Eddie Brock, whose humiliation at the hands of the newly slick Peter Parker, leads to his transformation into the terrifying Venom. The final confrontation on a building site is amazing, the camera skillfully following Spidey as he combats the two foes, with a surprise partner in tow.

So, Spiderman 3 is everything you could ask for from a film. Thrills, chills and spills. And watch out for Bruce Campbells cameo as a french waiter. Hands down the funniest scene of the year so far. Go and see it, you will not be disappointed.
41 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.