House M.D. (TV Series 2004–2012) Poster

(2004–2012)

My kind of show
mndoc6 February 2005
Let me put it simply. I am a physician, and as an inviolable rule, I HATE medical shows. Granted, TV series tend to be one dimensional, due to inherent difficulties in the genre, but "doctor shows" are something I avoid like the proverbial plague.

And then one evening I caught "House, MD" and was completely drawn into the show. In House I find the anti-hero that I've been waiting for in a medical show. The guy who knows everything, but is wrong often enough to keep us all guessing. I enjoy the contrast of House and his cadre of young fresh faced colleagues, complete with starched white lab coats, who struggle as much with their professionally imposed constraints, and sense of decorum, as they do with his personality. And, wonder of wonders, the use of ironic and tragic comedy is without peer in what I've seen in the TV world in recent memory. In a nutshell, I really never know what any given character will say or do and it's that freshness that will keep me coming back for more. Somewhere there is a team of writers who actually know their craft, and an acting ensemble that knows how to pull it off. Now I can watch my TV one hour a week........
1,265 out of 1,324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show
rebel_lover_1615 December 2004
Hugh Laurie as Dr. House is my new hero. This is a terrific show with some absolutely great writing. A little over the layman's head as far as medical jargon, but the characters, plot and script more than make up for any questions about a diagnosis. The show is really carried by House, but the team of doctors who work with him add dimension and depth to his character.

Any negative comments I've read about the show dealt with complaints about how the television doctors don't diagnose the way the viewing medical professionals do. May I point out to these people, this is a television show. Please get a grip on reality and watch it for it's pure entertainment value.

I hope this show has a good following and I'm already hoping for, and looking forward to, more seasons.
358 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting bordering on excellent
bch0357 December 2004
Great show, despite what others say, especially if a show like ER doesn't appeal to you. House is a unique character to be appreciated among the saps of TV nowadays.

I must say something to Hugh Laurie. People complain about his accent. He's English playing an American. I lived in England for a year on exchange. I'm an American. Though I'm no expert on accents, I have to say I didn't notice that Hugh Laurie had any sort of English accent. A slight accent can show if you're really looking for it, but, other than that, he's version of an American accent is great.

House is a great show, but it's not for the weak of heart or weak of stomach. It's not like ER at all. House is like the Sherlock Holmes of medicine. It's a drama without the screaming and tears.

Sorry if this is a horrible comment, but it's my first review on IMDb of a show :)
1,057 out of 1,165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most brilliant medical show to date
GaMEChldREBORN7 December 2004
House is a brilliant show medically speaking but so much more than that at the same time. The show is a kind of "24" meets medicine extravaganza. The main character, Dr. Gregory House, is played beautifully by Hugh Laurie. Dr. House is a bitter but brilliant doctor who is crippled in one leg due to the inability of doctors to properly diagnose his problem in time. This makes him a decidedly bitter person when dealing with others yet he is one of the best doctors in his field of diagnostic medicine. He is being forced to serve his clinic hours that he had avoided for a number of years, and this is where the show takes place; in a walk in clinic. Each show is a mysterious new case that puts the patient's life on the line as time runs out. I am disheartened by all of the bad comments people are making about this show, but everyone I have seen this show with and everyone I have shown the show to love it and find it enormously entertaining, funny, and brilliant.
617 out of 679 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You must watch this show!
forever_swirl14 December 2004
"House" is one of the best new shows of the season that no one is watching.

Yes, it is another medical drama (and haven't we seen enough of those?) but what this show lacks in originality it makes up in character. Namely - Dr. Greg House.

House is a cranky, cynical highly intelligent doctor with a limp that specializes in weird medical cases. Each week he, and his team of fresh faced young doctors, tackle some new medical mystery. With the use of CSI camera views and mouth-numbing medical jargon, the show tries not to bore you to tears with the specific case.

Still, though the cases are entertaining and puzzling, that's not why you should watch this show.

Unlike most stale TV cop/medical/lawyer shows out there, "House" doesn't focus on the cases alone. Week by week we actually get a chance to...GASP!...learn about the characters! But the character that everyone will be obsessed with his Hugh Laurie's Dr. House.

House, even though cranky and unlovable, is a sweet guy at heart. He's the type of guy you want curing you. Though he rarely visits his patients, at least he doesn't sugar coat things for you. He will call you an idiot to your face and you'll love him for it. Each time you watch you'll want to know what else he likes besides "General Hospital" and Vicadin pills.

Dr. House is hiding out Tuesday nights at 8pm amid all the other bored-with-their-jobs characters. Whenever you're sick of case obsessed Gil Grissom or any Law and Order detective, tune into "House".

I promise you'll at least leave with a fresh feeling in your brain.
647 out of 724 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally, a network show I like. .
enddust29 December 2004
So I like medicine and mysteries and watched CSI the first couple of times but got bored quickly with the repetitive format and self-important characters. Nowadays there's usually not that much in the way of mystery shows on (US) TV anymore--cop shows, sure, but mysteries? And while ER is certainly a quality show, I never really cared that much for it either--too much like a daytime soap but with blood. "House," however, seems a nice combo of medicine, mystery, and character. Hugh Laurie's Dr. House is someone you feel guilty loving because he's so arrogant and callous, but he keeps you entertained because you can't wait to hear what he'll say next. House loves to tell the truth as he sees it, cutting through the nice happy lies that your average urban US adult tells and believes, never mind the hurt feelings he might leave lying bleeding by the roadside. But of course, his character *may* hide a heart of gold, so in the end he's trying to do the right thing. Sure, it's a formula, and House is even a stock character maybe, but it works.

If the creators/writers are smart, they'll allow a little character development, especially amongst the excellent supporting cast, but not ruin it by changing House or allowing him a romance with either of his female costars. Keep that sexual tension going!

For fun, catch Hugh Laurie--who is British by the way--sometime on one of the seasons of Black Adder (usually rebroadcast on PBS, but also available at better video rental shops). He plays a complete idiot and is as convincing in that role as he is as the brilliant and misanthropic Dr. House. . .
263 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show worth looking forward to
izil2 December 2004
I love this show. Fell in love with the pilot, which I got on DVD. I tried watching NBC's Medical Investigation, but it just felt and looked too corny. House is a definite improvement of Medical Investigation. It's smart and daring. I love the sarcasm and snide comments coming from Dr. House. Supporting actors are great. It's CSI-ish but quirky like Arrested Development. I hope it stays on the air. Cancel Medical Investigation but keep House. It's a good sign that FOX is pushing plenty of promos for the show, such as free DVD previews of the pilot. I look forward to watching the show every week. I'd like to see the show develop more of the characters and why Dr. House limps.
210 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine "medical detective" show
Kenneth Morgan23 December 2004
I'll admit that the main I reason I first watched this show was to see Hugh Laurie in a drama series. Besides his role in the film "Peter's Friends", I mainly knew his work from his comedy roles in "Blackadder" and "Jeeves and Wooster". Now, having seen him in "House", I find that he's a fine dramatic actor, as well. From previous reviews, you'll have read that Laurie plays Dr. House, an ill-tempered, disabled yet brilliant physician who doesn't like patients, but is challenged by unusual ailments. Aided by a small team of younger doctors, he tries to figure out a correct diagnosis and treatment. In the meantime, he also must deal with patients that he is forced to see in the hospital's walk-in clinic. As noted, Laurie's performance is very good; the early talk about an Emmy nomination for him is quite justified. The rest of the cast is also good, though the scripts have yet to fully examine each character. (Viewers may remember Omar Epps from his earlier medical role as the ill-fated Gant on "ER".) The stories, while set up as brain-teasers, are also refreshingly complex about the doctors, the patients and the hospital; they don't resort to the done-to-death "HMO's are the source of all evil" plot line. These doctors are brilliant, but not perfect; mistakes are made. In the end, I hope that Fox will allow the show to continue. It's good to see an interesting medical show on TV, now that "ER" has degenerated into a "tragedy of the week" soap opera. And, as for Hugh Laurie's accent, I've heard better, but I've heard a lot worse. Give him time. (In a recent episode, he got to use his native English accent for a joke.) One important note: "House" is not for the squeamish. There are some pretty graphic and disturbing scenes in the series that some viewers may find upsetting. (For example, one episode featured critically ill infants and pulled very few punches.)
204 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best hospital show since ER!
doors432 December 2004
This show has the potential to be wonderful. Hugh Laurie does an excellent job (and American accent I might add - he's British) as a sarcastic, yet super intelligent doctor. The show has a wonderful cast and the illnesses these patients come in with are very interesting. The acting is brilliant. It hasn't really been about the doctors yet, but it's starting to get a bit more personal. Up until now (the 3rd episode), it's been mostly about the patients, which is what you want in the beginning of a show. The comic relief is that Dr. House has to do work in the walk-in clinic where every hypochondriac in New Jersey comes walking in... his dealing with them is hilarious. And just as additional enjoyment, Jesse Spencer is very pleasing to the eyes. :)
213 out of 264 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best shows I've EVER seen
kitty_kisses7116 February 2005
"House, M.D." is one of the most cleverly written shows I have ever watched. This is coming from a big "M.A.S.H." fan. Hugh Laurie does tend to carry the show, but the supporting actors help bring out the various layers of House's personality. The sarcasm is somewhat of a front for his pain (I'm guessing both physical and emotional). Not that I'm complaining! His sarcasm is one of the reasons I watch the show. Not an episode goes by that fails to make me laugh out loud. Not just a little giggle. One of those great big belly laughs! You can't help but think, "That was so awful! HE'S so awful! But I love him!"

Yes, the plot is predictable. As my boyfriend says, "Do you think that maybe this week someone will have a disease and they'll have a hard time figuring out what it is and then they'll finally figure it out and save them (or not)?" But I don't care. I love the show, I love Hugh Laurie, and I give a great big two thumbs up to both! Of course, being a good show it will be canceled after one season because the brain-dead morons who make shows like "Survivor" popular won't be able to wrap their little heads around something so clever. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
35 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From a nurse's perspective...
Majestic_emu5 April 2005
I am an RN in my town's ER, and may I just say, this is an EXCELLENT show! As with ER, the show, most of the medical treatments/diagnoses/etc. are extremely overdone and not always reliable, however, with this casting for House, it encourages me to use the critical thinking part of my brain, as well as enjoy Dr. House's cynical and asshole-like behavior. The medical terminology, although which may be a bit above normal viewer's heads, is true to each diagnosis House makes, and I absolutely adore the new scenarios the producers create each week- not boring and mundane like I found ER to be. An EXCELLENT show with realism involved, as well as colorful characters, wonderful plot, and overall superb casting! Let's hope this one will be on as long as ER!

*****/*****
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riot in the "House"!
Aiwe26 January 2005
This show is just a perfect riot, even though it is a drama. It is tightly-written, and there are at least as many layers to the characters as there are to the medical mysteries. The worst part about the show is having to wait a whole week for the next episode to air.

The bickering and bantering among the doctors involved add an appreciable depth of humour and humanity as they work together to solve each case. The process they go through with each case shows the human fallibility of doctors as well as the fear and frustration of those waiting for the doctors to save their loved ones, and the show pokes fun at, justifies, argues against, dismisses and ultimately humanizes the arrogance for which doctors are infamous.

The cast is absolutely fantastic - I just love how these people work together. They are absolutely real and human as their characters alternately combat and cooperate with each other. They are the reason the plots hang so well together. And Laurie is just supreme. The sarcasm, the barbs, the snide remarks, and even the insults are so ridiculously honest one has to laugh.

Kudos to the casting people and the writers as well as the creator - this is one of the best shows ever. I hope it lives for many many seasons, and I can hardly wait to see where it leads!
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hugh Laurie
robert-62526 January 2005
While most of my fellow Americans have never heard of him before I have been a fan of Hugh Laurie since I first saw him in Black Adder back in the 1980's (Thank goodness my local PBS station showed British shows back then).

When I first saw Hugh in House, M.D, I couldn't believe this is the same person who played silly Prince George and Lt George. Here he is playing a serious character without his British accent! I had to check the name in the credits to make sure it was him.

I hope the American public recognizes what a great actor he is.

If you like him in House, MD, watch him in the Black Adder series.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laurie's accent is fine.
vcwills12 March 2005
larajane from London writes: "What astonished me was the grimly mangled American accent Hugh Laurie chose, or was forced, to adopt for the role. I am English and even I can tell the accent is hopelessly fake."

I have nothing but respect for larajane, and, of course, her wonderful country, which has presented the world with such gifts as Hugh Laurie. However, I do wish that she would leave the subject of who does or does not have a convincing American accent to, well, the Americans. Many of us love Hugh Laurie and have done so for years, and I have yet to meet a single American viewer who has any bones to pick with Laurie's accent on the show. I've even met more than a few viewers who are getting their first glimpse of Laurie now, and to whom it never would have occurred that Laurie was anything other than American-born and bred. Hugh Laurie, as Dr. House, has the accent of an upper-class or upper-middle-class white male raised in the Northeastern portion of the United States. Gregory House's voice would have been perfectly at home in the milieu of voices I heard during my years living in Princeton.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fantastic show
annfay24 May 2005
As a fellow MD, I have to express my gratitude to the writers of this show, and the brilliant portrayal of the characters. I have not been disappointed with any episode I have seen, and in fact, feel that I am learning by broadening the differential diagnosis in my own practice. I can only hope this series continues far into the future, and does not waiver from the basic premise of the story lines (i.e. does not become a soap opera, but the focus continues on medicine). I have watched the show with a team of peers and have recommended the show to several medical students who I precept. We actually set aside 10 minutes or so on Wednesday mornings to discuss the program which aired the previous night.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abrasive medical doctor saves lives - no matter what the cost.
rumour_5825910 May 2006
This is one of the best, most lifelike medical dramas I have ever seen.

House himself is abrasive and rude and it all adds up so you just like him more. At the start you really don't like House - he seems rude and infantile, but as the show progresses you develop a love for his style.

He definitely saves more people than those doctors who practice medicine by following the rules.

Although he has his problems (addiction/crippled leg) you don't tend to see them - so intriguing is this character. He will stop at nothing to discover what is wrong with his patient - even if he has to break into their home.

The closest medical drama to this that I have seen is ER - if you are into ER, House is a must.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Respectfully Disagreeing with Brit Review
bstillion17 November 2004
Having studied acting and dialects for decades (including in England with the RSC), poor dialect is a PARTICULAR source of annoyance for me, and Hugh Laurie's dialect in "House" didn't bother me at all (at least in the one episode I saw), so I think this Brit "reviewer" is being hyper-sensitive in that regard.

I also have to say I enjoyed the plot--what would be the point of simply copying ER's "trauma-drama?" It was like the best "quiet" episodes of ER, with a bit more thoughtfulness and focus on the element of a "mystery" to be solved. I LIKED that as an alternative to ER. Note that ER is my absolute favorite show, and the ONLY show I regularly watch--but they are already doing what they do, and doing it extraordinarily well; a new show ought to do something DIFFERENT, it seems to me.

As for the "when doctors make mistakes, people die" line, the writers were obviously LAMPOONING that, as it got repeated on a soap opera that some characters were watching on T.V. So maybe the whole show was just a tad too intellectually challenging for that reviewer--and/or maybe he missed that bit running to the kitchen for a snack, and so didn't get the joke.

I thought it was quite interesting, relatively original (imagine that, in a world of "reality" shows!), and LOTS of fun--a show about hunting for diagnostic "zebras." I could definitely be fascinated on a regular basis by medical mysteries (assuming the writing stays SHARP and accurate). I suppose, though, it may not survive long, if there aren't very many people who WANT to be entertained by being stimulated to think. Or worse, the producers may listen to the "not exciting enough" complaints like this and then just decide to try to clone ER (and of course, not possibly actually succeed, leading to a premature death, like poor Dolly the sheep and all such clones. . . . ).

Anyway, if you like a medical MYSTERY (as distinguished from, let's say, a medical THRILLER/ACTION-ADVENTURE, which genre ER already indisputably reigns over), this ought to be JUST your "cup of tea!"
289 out of 447 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it for the characters, not the medicine!
shells50017 September 2006
I've watched House from the first episode and really like the show, but one thing it is NOT is a MEDICAL drama, as so many previous posters have said. What it is is a very well-written program that delves into people's personalities and motivations set in a hospital backdrop with the diagnostic dilemma of the week to add interest.

As a practicing surgeon for almost 30 years, I know for a fact that the "medicine" seen on House each week bears only the remotest resemblance to what really goes on in a teaching hospital, or even a private hospital for that matter. The writers can't even get the specialties correct-- Epps' character is a neurologist, NOT a neurosurgeon, and would not be performing any type of operation.

I have,however, chosen to suspend reality when I watch the show because the characters are so good (especially Laurie). I do find the Cameron character annoying, but to tell the truth I encounter all these types of personalities daily.

The House character is really not far off the mark of many physicians who have been in practice for years. You really do develop the ability to determine quite quickly when patients are less than truthful, and also what they are NOT telling you. The only difference in real life is that we can't be as tactless as House. The show is actually at its most medically accurate when House is in the clinic.

To sum up, just enjoy the show for the entertainment value, because if you are expecting medical accuracy on the E.R. level, it ain't there.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ingenious and Compelling!!!
minni_satchmo12 May 2006
"House M.D." hit our screens two years ago and could have be lost in the myriad of other medico shows on TV currently. However, the ingenuity of wit seen in the script and the complexity of Laurie's performance has caused this show to rise above the pack! The range of talent demonstrated by the actors makes the show both compelling and simultaneously medically credible. Highly recommended to all who are fascinated by the quirky!

Hugh Laurie deserves a special mention: the flawed Greg House could have become a stereotyped charatcer, but Laurie's background in comedy provides him with the perfect delivery of his cynical lines. When he is teamed with his underlings, Chase, Foreman and Cameron and charaacters such as Cuddy and the ever-important Stacy, "House M.D." proves that it is worth the hype in the media currently.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Lupus!
NerdyNinja492 January 2015
Normally when I watch a series, I mildly enjoy it and wander through the series mindlessly, particularly with sitcoms. On very rare occasions, a show will pop up that I enjoy the main actor so much I follow him around for a couple years. This happened with House.

Hugh Laurie plays the part so perfectly and does this incredible thing where you absolutely hate him and love him at the same time. You want him to be happy, but you also can't help but feel like he deserves some of the things he goes through.

The thing that impressed me the most about House is the fact that House stays House from the first episode of season one to the last one of season eight. His personality doesn't waiver for one second, and that's a feat in and of itself.

While all of the medical jargon wasn't necessarily accurate and they had a habit of people coughing up blood in almost every episode, I did find it far more fascinating than any of the crime dramas that pop up. That might just be my personal opinion. It did get old the last couple of seasons though. "It's lupus!"

Probably the best part of the whole show was House and Wilson's relationship. All of my favorite moments surround their crazy shenanigans. Like the chickens. Ah, the chickens...

The worst part is when it's over. You are depressed for a few days. You know a show is good when it does that to you. I wholeheartedly recommend you go watch House.
My Kinda Doctor
Ankur Alone16 August 2013
Okay.. so i am kind of a late bloomer and i am man enough to admit that i should have watched this show eons ago. This show is absurdly good but not the eighth season-will come to that part. Gregory house M.D. is a super genius diagnostician and not a people person. He is self-centred jack-ass who doesn't care about the patients or any other people around making him my kind of doctor. The house character is played by Hugh laurie with utmost brilliance. All the other characters including wislon, cameron, lisa, foreman chase etc brought there A game to the table.

The best part about this show is they change the entire story in every season which makes it more interesting. Like in season 5 ending blew my mind and so did the season 4. Every season of house M.D is unique in its own way till seventh season.. The eight season kind of stretched the show a little bit but it does not make greg house uncool. The show is a kick-ass, the story, the writing, the dialogues.. all the witty comments of house.. all the cast in every season is just pure brilliance. In the end i'll recommend this show to everyone who loves good TV and great writing and perfect acting delievery. And a thankyou to everyone who suggested the show to me (you are just smart people). Go watch this show...if u haven't watched it yet..
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most intelligent programs in television history - not your average medical show
Dan Dan12 November 2012
I never paid much attention to "House MD" when it first premiered. I heard from a couple of people that it was basically the same thing every episode: Impossible disease to diagnose, House messes with his team, House suddenly solves the case.

But one day when I was bored, I switched the TV to House. And it happened to be the Season 6 finale (titled "Help Me"). Going to be honest, it blew me away. I did not know what was happening to the characters at the point in the story, but the acting was fantastic. The atmosphere was superb. The complexity of Dr. Gregory House intrigued me. I saw him as a tragic hero (something you find in works of literature) and his tragic flaw was his leg. Not only the physical limitations brought on by his leg, but the mental ones as well. The pain he suffers day by day that lead him to be the man he is. You see House as an ass...but you feel for him, because you know why he's an ass. Also, Hugh Laurie does such a good job with his accent, if I had not watched "A Bit of Fry and Laurie", I probably never would have guessed Hugh was British.

"House" is like a beautiful novel. It has its themes from episode to episode, and it has its overall themes as a television show. It is a work of art, and I hate that so many dismiss it because of its premise in a hospital. I have watched every episode of "House" since I first saw it and those were many hours well spent. If you've never seen it...the Complete Series is on DVD now!
The Greatest Medical Show Ever
prsd_yr2 April 2007
They say that if you combine a great character with a great actor, you're halfway to a great show. "House M.D." seems to do that with most of its cast, but especially Gregory House and Hugh Laurie. House is a snarky, sarcastic, occasionally callous but adorable jerk. He is also the most brilliant yet least well-adjusted doctor at Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital. Around him are three junior doctors, all three of whom have varied but interesting personalities. There is also his only friend, James Wilson, an oncologist and his superior with whom he has a rather antagonistic relationship. House involves strange, rare and complicated cases with no easy diagnosis, resulting in the spouting of some mind-numbing medical terminology(which I thought was a brave and successful attempt at retaining some reality)and often character-driven story lines. "House" has the best writing for any show in America, if you don't believe me just check the "quotes" section for samples of dialogue. House had an infarction in his leg, resulting in it becoming painful and near-impossible to move, which made him addicted to a painkilling drug known as Vicodin., which proves to be the source of many problems. House is, for all his imperfectness, a genius, a master of observation which is depicted in his clinic cases as he can instantly detect either and environmental cause for the disease/problem or find some the patient themselves do not know about. He is a deep character, though, and flawed, but likable, making him a cornerstone for this shows incredible success with the critics, though mainstream audiences prove less receptive and prefer to tune into pseudo-romantic, unintelligent trash like "Grey's Anatomy", a classic example of catering to the mainstream resulting in distaste from most critics. Why have not even FIVE ratings come for this show? Please rate it, even if your opinion differs to mine, rate it!!!!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Show Ever!
white_rider2616 May 2006
About ten or twelve episodes into the first season i switched on two a random show called 'House'. I only got to watch the last ten minutes of the episode but from the moment I saw it I was HOOKED! Now I've got the DVD set and follow the new series religiously!!

'House' is one of those rare jems of TV which come around once and a while and you never forget when they're (god forbid) gone. The sarcasm and the cynical humour is fantastic! The arguments and quips from the fantastically acted cast are on the standard of West Wing. The cases are fantastic (even though a little far fetched as my med student sister tells me but who cares! It's television!) and Hugh Laurie? Well, Laurie is absolutely freaking amazing. I loved him before this from the buffoon in black-adder and even from his small appearance in Sense and Sensibility but when i saw him in action I could not believe that he was the same guy who got multiple concussions in 101 Dalmations. Go Laurie!

But this is a fantastic show and there have been rumours that it may continue for five years (jesse Spencer-chase-has signed a contract) which I seriously hope are true. I have to say one last thing: Thank you David Shore!!!!!!
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best things on the box
Mel J31 May 2007
'House' is like a breath of fresh air to television screens. It's an intelligent show complete with solid, interesting characters in a sea of bland, predictable and repetitive shows that bombard the airwaves. The show revolves around diagnostician Doctor Gregory House, a bitter and antisocial cynic whose heightened intelligence leaves him with little patience for most people around him. On the surface, he has little interest in patients and instead it is solving the puzzle of their ailment that draws him in but we see many subtle instances which prove he does have a heart for both his patients and his friends. Reeling him in are his best friend Doctor James Wilson, who sees House as fulfilling his need to be needed, and his boss Doctor Lisa Cuddy, one of the few who can give House as good as he dishes out in terms of insults. Training under House as his fellows are Robert Chase, Allison Cameron and Eric Foreman, who all realise what a trial their job (or rather, their boss) can be at times.

Hugh Laurie, in the title role of House, is absolutely perfect. He is able to depict House's startlingly genius IQ that is intertwined with his childishness and sullenness, which, in turn, hide the fact he does care for his patients and those close to him. As such, he turns what could have been an detestable character into one the audience can like. Robert Sean Leonard also delivers a strong performance as Wilson in a manner that shows the character's kindly yet, at times, manipulative nature. The chemistry between Laurie and Leonard is excellent, which is essential in portraying the complex friendship between House and Wilson. Lisa Edelstein, as Cuddy, excels in playing the school marm to the eight-year-old boy House can be without comprising the deeper attributes of the character. Jennifer Morrison, Jesse Spencer and Omar Epps, as House's three fellows, also shine through in displaying the individual traits of their characters and how each interact differently with House.

One of the first things that drew me into the show was the sarcastic humour. Almost everything that comes out of House is humorous, even if it does make the person he is speaking to cry! House is a true anti-hero, inherently a good guy but is willing to do whatever it takes to solve his puzzle regardless of patients' views and colleagues' opinions. The character probably has also done more for disability awareness (House walks with a limp and is in chronic pain after suffering an infarction to his right thigh) than any PC government campaign. Here we have a show that isn't afraid to depict a disabled person acting like an arrogant oaf at times instead of being as some sort of glowing hero and example to us all, as most shows enjoy doing when portraying a character with disabilities.

The show is more like a detective drama along the lines of 'Law and Order' with medicine as opposed to a purely medical show like 'ER'. As such, there is more time dedicated to development of the characters as they go about trying to cure their patient. Everything is portrayed in a darker adult manner and there isn't too much focus on romance (which can ruin a show). Story lines are meaningful and involving, with no softly option taken in showing the realities of life and death. That said, the medical aspects on the show are almost always realistic.

'House' is a highly recommended show for those looking for something put together with intelligence and adult characters who act like adults instead of over-grown adolescent children in high school. Long may it continue!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.