Cowboys & Aliens (2011) Poster

Cowboys, Indians and Aliens
Claudio Carvalho19 February 2012
In the Old West, an amnesic stranger awakes in the middle of the desert wounded in the belly with a bracelet in one of his wrists. He is attacked by thieves but defeats them. He rides a horse of one outlaw and heads to a former mining town, where the local preacher treats him.

Then he sees the youth Percy Dolarhyde (Paul Dano), who is the son of the powerful farmer Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford), bullying with the bar owner Doc (Sam Rockwell) and the other locals. When Percy provokes the stranger, he reacts and beats up on Percy. The local Sheriff John Taggart (Keith Carradine) arrests Percy and he finds that the stranger is the wanted Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig). The sheriff returns to the bar with his deputies to arrest Jake, but he subdues the men. However he is hit on his back by the mysterious Ella Swenson (Olivia Wilde) and he faints. Jake is arrested and when Sheriff Taggart is ready to take Jake and Percy in a coach to deliver them to a Federal Marshall, Woodrow arrives with his men ready to protect his son. But they are attacked by spacecrafts that abducts several dwellers, including Percy, Doc's wife and the sheriff. Woodrow organizes a posse to seek out the kidnapped people in a dangerous journey against an advanced race of aliens. Meanwhile Jake Lonergan has glimpses of his past life and they learn that someone among them may help them in the fight against the invaders.

"Cowboys & Aliens" is a very entertaining film with a battle between cowboys and Indians against alien invaders. The result is a funny adventure that blends western with sci-fi. Unfortunately Harrison Ford is histrionic and cliché in the role of the ambiguous Colonel. Daniel Craig is great, as usual and Olivia Wilde is very beautiful and charming. I had low expectations with "Cowboys & Aliens" and in the end I had lots of fun. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Cowboys & Aliens"

Note: On 18 June 2015, I saw this movie again.
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
What happens when you overvalue a movie concept and undervalue the story
Movie_Muse_Reviews30 July 2011
The answer to the obvious question hovering around Jon Favreau's latest action blockbuster is yes, "Cowboys & Aliens" is as ridiculous as the title sounds. Yet blame doesn't quite belong on Favreau's shoulders or that of star Daniel Craig or the rest of the cast; rather, the failure of this alien-infested Western results from the domino effect of the countless studios and producers who put their faith (and money) in a concept rather than a story.

To be fair, I know nothing of the Platinum Studios comic by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, but it couldn't have been all that good if all the hottest screenwriters in Hollywood couldn't whip together a plot worth a damn. The duos behind "Iron Man" and "Star Trek" along with "Lost" writer Damon Lindelof all took cracks at the screenplay and an earlier treatment from another pair of "it" writers who wrote next month's "Conan the Barbarian" was discarded. Frankly, criticism of "Cowboys & Aliens" all stems from a story with lackluster characters equipped with cliché motivations. Despite some cool aliens, the action doesn't offer anything unique enough to counter that we've no reason to care.

Craig stars as Jake Lonergan, a stoic outlaw in Arizona sometime in the late 19th Century who wakes up with no memory and some metal device on his wrist. When he arrives in the town of Absolution, the sheriff discovers he's wanted and attempts to ship him off for a reward. That's when the aliens attack, bombing the town and roping up locals before flying off into the night. Lonergan's bracelet activates as a weapon and suddenly he's the only one capable of defeating these things. He joins a rescue party led by a grumpy Civil War vet named Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford) and they all set off to find out what happened to their loved ones.

The script introduces characters willy-nilly and provides little satisfactory explanation for anything that happens. The story paints Lonergan as a quiet badass, but one who has flashes of some woman he loved. Because his past slowly unravels with nothing revelatory to show for it as the film wears on, it's tough to care much or even see him as capable of romantic feelings. Regardless, a woman named Ella (Olivia Wilde) keeps approaching him with questions he doesn't have the answers to and she evolves into a love interest for nothing but the sake of it. Sam Rockwell has little to no bearing on the film other than serving an example of an otherwise peaceful man who will do whatever it takes to get his wife back. He's a waste in the role. As for Ford, he just gets on screen and acts grumpy and impatient. We've seen everyone on board do so much better. Did these folks not read the script? Probably not considering the number of drafts alone.

Worst of all, the script thinks we will care; after all, this is "Cowboys & Frickin' Aliens!" In the final sequence, suddenly all these supporting characters have little moments together out of seemingly thin air. What are supposed to be moments in the story tying up relationship subplots between characters end up as reminders that these relationships and subplots even existed in the first place. Consequently, the film's pivotal moments result not in hearts beating, but eyes rolling.

In fairness, Favreau shows his adeptness from an action perspective once again in this film. The movie looks good if nothing else with strong visual effects and a strong concept team behind the aliens and related technology. The genre experiment generally works from a tonal perspective, an obstacle that certainly stood in Favreau's path. The film feels like a Western and one in which aliens could feasibly exist, so no problems due to identity crisis.

Yet the film never provides a single reason to justify why it had to be a story about cowboys and aliens. In that sense, the movie results in nothing more than several studios and producers thinking we'd simply be interested in a fusion of a shoot-em-up Western with an alien invasion. All involved failed to ask the one critical question when making a film based on a concept: "is there a good story here?" No, there's not. Despite every ounce of you wanting to find a reason to care about what happens, none arrives. As such, "Cowboys & Aliens" offers watchable but lifeless entertainment.

~Steven C

Visit my site at http://moviemusereviews.com
310 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Unexpected Brilliance
markzipperboy215 January 2016
I had heard the negative reviews despite my high hopes for a new different perspective. So with such a negative feel about it I was so enthralled with it. Blown away with this mix of genre that worked beautifully and the cast was amazing. From start to finish I loved it. It started as a genuine Wild Western movie with a very slight hint of something just not quite right. If I had seen this movie without knowing the title and synopsis like I did with From Dusk Till Dawn which had me incredulous with its amazing twist. I had no clue as to what was to follow. Daniel Craig was unbelievably perfect as the confused clueless gun slinger struggling to remember his identity. Ford was exactly the hardened war veteran you wanted that had to think on his instincts despite what he was seeing. The originality was insane. The past meets the unimaginable and the necessary meeting of 4 different groups of humans in the 1800s just to defeat the darkness is something to revel in. If you love westerns and sci fi I defy you to not enjoy this.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
How can anyone not like this movie?
Mischief81011 December 2014
It is well acted. It is well produced. It has a star-studded cast and a fun twist on sci-fi action thrillers.

Here's what you do for a "summer fun" movie: Combine a bunch of cowpokes with a hostile alien race, set it in a time period where the human race has no concept of time or space travel. Then let Spielberg do his thing.

I've had fun watching this film several times. As with all good flicks, there's always something you missed the first, second and third times. This isn't really meant to be serious science fiction. It's meant to be an entertaining romp that mashes up the western and sci-fi genre, and it throws in just enough action and special effects to make up for a so-so script.

If you watch this and don't like it, then you don't like watching fun movies.

This. Was. Fun.
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Oater this world or oater space, a choice of very poor puns for a GOOD movie.
janus-2020 August 2011
Wow i enjoyed this, partially due to the negative reviews here on IMDb (thanks guys) and in part due to Harrison Ford clearly having more fun with a character than he has in a long time.

Its not a perfect film and there are questions that could be asked of some of the plot points, but the questions, such as they are, would require irrelevant exposition, which would only serve to hobble the pace of what is essentially a "Men (and Woman) on a mission" movie.

What really stands out for me were the scenes at the beginning of the film, Jon Favreau introduces the characters, locations and situations in such a manner that when the real threat manifests itself, despite the films title, it catches you as off guard as the characters are.

The cast are all great, some nice character work from Clancy Brown and Keith Carradine. Daniel Craig brings the stoic, no nonsense aspects of his Bond to Jake and as i said earlier Harrison Ford obviously relishes the role of Dolarhyde.

It reminds me of the films i used to enjoy about twenty years ago, that had lively pace, but were'nt frantic. The effects are special, but not overblown or overwhelming to the point where they become the focus thereby obviating any interest in the characters stories.

I don't want to talk about the story too much and spoil it, i'd just urge you to go and watch it, because this movie is an honest attempt to try something a little different. Its not Superheroes, its not a TV show, its not a line of toys and its not cute animated whatevers. Its an unlikely, but successful fusion of two genres to produce a film with humour, drama, action and a refreshing amount of practical effects work. Give it a chance, i really was surprised how much i enjoyed it.
141 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Ridiculously fun and entertaining.
Dominic LeRose3 April 2016
Literally the film is about a spaceship that arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region. A posse of cowboys and natives are all that stand in their way. Daniel Craig teams up with Harrison Ford and Olivia Wilde to save the day. Problem? Nope. "Cowboys & Aliens" is a blast of summer blockbuster fun, delivering fun visual effects, consistently entertaining action, and fun dialogue to spice up the fun. This is the kind of film you would expect to be god- awful, but turns out to be super fun and enjoyable from start to finish. None of the actors try too hard to be serious, knowing what kind of film they're in. And producers Steven Spielberg and Ron Howard also understands what audiences are going to want out of this film. They nailed it. This film delivers exactly what it needed, crafting a fun and stupid movie that everyone will find somewhat enjoyable.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Looks good, superb cast but painfully predictable.
amesmonde13 August 2011
Its 1873; New Mexico Territory; an  Outlaw and a Cattle Rancher must put aside their differences to stop Alien invaders hellbent on experimenting on humans and stripping the land of its gold.

There's something kooky about the title Cowboys and Aliens, B-movie-ish, yet, exciting, enticing and genius. However, even with the star talents including Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, with the striking Olivia Wilde and excellent Sam Rockwell Cowboys and Aliens still falls short of expectations. The script is bland, every effort has gone into developing the two main leads but at a cost of the rest of the characters, the basic story and plot.

The special and practical effects are well integrated and executed but while fantastic they are nothing that hasn't been seen before, reminiscent of District 9, Independence Day to name a few. Considering director's Jon Favreau fun and exciting Iron-man outings this offering is less satisfying. It's not the mishmash of classic genres that's the problem, it's the lazy, predicable story telling.

The films opening is strong and intriguing, building up to the tension of Ford's character Colonel Woodrow Dolarhyde meeting with Craig's Jake; its Jones meets Bond, perfect. Both are excellent giving weight to the proceedings. Horses are flipped, guns and gauntlets go wild, aliens leap and stomp on cowboys. But after the first few alien attacks the film wavers onto familiar territory. Although it has a fabulous cast beneath its hat and sweeping, breathtaking Western landscapes under it's belt - it buckles under it's own weight.

Even with its somewhat serious tone it's not brave enough to explore or commit to its own themes leaving it underdeveloped. But it also omits much needed fun leaving the whole film unseasoned and as empty as the plains of Arizona. Debatably, flop Wild Wild West (1999) infused the sci-fi and Western genre more successfully.

Cowboys and Aliens is entertaining, it looks good, has a superb cast but it's painfully predictable and just not that great.
69 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This is the best Sci-Fi Western to date.
rlmarr5 November 2013
I do live on a tight budget. After buying the DVD and watching this move 3 times I realized that I would have paid full price to watch this movie not once, but twice. John Wayne would have been proud of this movie. So would have many other cowboy legends such as Roy Rogers. Not only was the base of the story well thought out the cast, crew and other members of this film worked really hard to entertain us. There are basic morals taught in this film if the viewer would jus pay attention. As far as Christian lessons carefully placed the writers could not have done a better job. Family values soared throughout this tale. This wasn't just a Sci-Fi-Western mix film. This is a brand new way to look at human struggles and how to beat the odds. This a fresh way to look into our hearts and learn to fight as a band for our survival. The odd thing there is a tremendous amount of sacrifice made all the way throughout the movie. And let's not forget about the humor. There is a subtle funny line at least every few minutes. For a viewer like myself I had to watch it 3 times since I really wanted to understand the deep message. And boy did the fireworks light up my soul. The way to win lives is truly amazing. I wish I could shake their hands.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Worth it's weight in gold!
SciFiSheriff11 April 2012
It has been over 42 years since a "good" Weird west movie came out. Now, Paramount Picture attempts to revive the genre again. Did It work? This is my review on Cowboys and Aliens.

The plot goes like this; A man wakes up in a desert without any knowledge of of history or his identity. He also notices a metal armband around his arm which looks like something WAY beyond it's time. He eventually finds a small town in Arizona entitled "Absolution". After causing chaos with the local Sheriff, he runs into a dirty, good-for-nothing Cattle owner named Colonel Dolarhyde who seems to own the town. But before Dolarhyde could get ahold of him, mysterious attackers from the skies assault the town, abducting anyone who stands in their way. After the attack, Dolarhyde decides to cut a deal with the man with no name, due to the fact that his armband is some sort of alien weaponry. A Posse is established and they set out to find the invaders and reclaim their family members.

With a few exceptions like "True Grit" and "3:10 to Yuma", Westerns that have come out in the 21st century have been far from Brilliant status of the older movies. Cowboys and Aliens seem to mix the two together; Assembling a classic western storyline with a modern alien twist- and it works!

The story has all the stereotypical western characters that appeared in the oldies. You've got an old drunk, the young kid that needs to learn manners, a greedy land owner and of course, a man with no name. The writers did a really good job establishing some great western clichés that seemed to be used a lot in the old movies.

The characters are extremely well acted- And why wouldn't they be. It stars great acting legends like Harrison ford and Daniel Crag. Harrison plays brilliantly, grunting and growling like some savage beast which the character seems to be. Daniel is quite good to,though there is nothing out of the ordinary to talk about. Good acting in general, but don't be going in thinking that there is going to be the best acting ever- because it isn't.

One factor a look at most in Sci-Fi movies is the Aliens. The aliens in this movie are amongst the greatest of modern aliens. Im probably alone in this, but they make me feel like I'm watching an old-school alien ultimatum which is very hard for modern filmmakers to achieve. One thing I like about them is their weaponry. You see a alien armband on the Daniel Crag's character for most of the movie, but as you get to the end they reveal a lot more. They have huge, under-arm Lazar cannons that explode large sections of the landscape which is quite entertaining to watch.The aliens' motivation is nothing special but it wasn't TERRIBLE. For the appearance and weaponry, I think they deserve credit.

There is a lot of action scenes to keep the action junkies happy. As well as the explosions mentioned before, we has huge spaceships blasting people, Indians stabbing aliens, Cowboys shooting aliens etc. There is A lot of battles which are extremely entertaining.

Im not saying this movie is for everyone and most people will disagree with everything i have just said, but I, on the other hand, can't praise it enough. It brought me back to the old school B movies. I highly recommend the film to fans of Sci-fi action and old B westerns.

I give it a 10/10
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Huge Disappointment!
Mr_Kltpzyxm29 July 2011
Did someone put a gun to Jon Favreau's head and ask him to make this boring 'western'??

Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, one of the most fun directors around today, and a title containing both Cowboys and Aliens - this was definitely the most awaited summer movie for me!! And yet, somehow, the 'Curse of The Modern Day Spielberg' managed to defy all expectations and deliver a total damp squib. The story's weak (why capture the humans? why come to earth of all planets to mine for gold? how can one stolen gun destroy an entire operation?), the treatment confused (the whole Olivia Wilde arc), the actors under-utilized (somebody please stop the brutal destruction of everything that Harrison Ford has come to mean to moviegoers), and the action and thrills extremely underwhelming.

Please do not go to see this movie. More than the time that you'll never get back, it'll spoil James Bond, Indy, Cowboys, Westerns and Movie Aliens for you forever.

To think that I missed work to catch the first, early morning opening show. So disappointed.
146 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A tedious experience
Argemaluco27 August 2011
Some months ago, I read the graphic novel Cowboys & Aliens...and it honestly bored me to tears. Leaving the innovative concept described on the title aside, the story only offers hollow characters, sci-fi clichés badly combined with western clichés, and an excessively light tone which does not make any justice to the potential from that combination of genres. Paradoxically, that disappointment improved my expectations for the film Cowboys & Aliens. After all, Hollywood tends to change the novels it adapts pretty much, and I thought that some "expert" screenwriters would fix the many fails from the story. And even though Cowboys & Aliens improved a few elements from the book, it also preserved the characters without any substance, the arbitrary narrative and the inconsistent behavior from the aliens.

The idea of brave cowboys facing an alien invasion is interesting, but I think it works better as a concept than as an execution. The crash between advanced extraterrestrial technology and primitive weapons from 19th century would lead to an unilateral massacre which would make the film to conclude in its first 10 minutes; so, it is necessary to find the way to give the advantage to the cowboys so that the battle is more credible and there is suspense about who the winner will be. Unfortunately, co-screenwriters Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby did not find a logical way to solve the problem, and as a consequence, they employ many traps, excessive inconsistencies and absolutely ridiculous notions in order to give the cowboys the opportunity to defend themselves from the invaders. Without deepening too much in order not to get into the spoilers field, I will mention that, despite their technology and destructive potential, the favorite method of combat from the aliens is...body-to-body fights. And besides, their vulnerability changes according to the screenplay's convenience; when the presence of suspense is necessary, the aliens are practically indestructible; but whenever the movie decides to introduce a "cool" scene, it is easy to kill them with just one shot, an Indian spear, or a small knife.

And because of that, the movie constantly "pulled me out" with its coincidences and forced narrative short-cuts. On the positive side, the special effects created by Industrial Light & Magic are competent. As for the human element, Harrison Ford brings an adequate performance, while on the other side of the coin, Daniel Craig feels bland and antipathetic as the anti-hero. By the way, I am going to propose an hypothesis; Sam Rockwell and Clancy Brown interpret two supporting roles in this film, but they are too short and inconsequential; however, I think Cowboys & Aliens would have been a better movie with that duet in the leading roles; Rockwell is one of the best contemporary actors, and he has more cowboy "looks" than Craig; besides, his less athletic physique would make the challenges the character faces more interesting. As for Brown, he would have been absolutely perfect as the cacique from the village. Sure, none of them would have attracted as much spectators as Craig and Ford, but anyway...I am sure this movie would have been better if that fantasy was true.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend Cowboys & Aliens, because I found it insipid, irritating, and the worst thing of all, boring. Instead of wasting your time with this film, I recommend you three very entertaining "western/fantasy" hybrids: The Burrowers (cowboys against subway humanoids -which also includes Brown in the cast!-), Dead Birds (cowboys against ghosts) and Tremors (modern cowboys against crawling "graboids"). Cowboys & Aliens might surpass them in budget, but it is not even remotely to their levels of ingenuity and amusement.
77 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Big dumb mess
Andariel Halo2 August 2011
With a hokey name like "Cowboys and Aliens", you're really not supposed to expect much more than Cowboys and Aliens, fighting.

And very little of the movie even deals with that.

Being PG-13, it couldn't go all-out in a faithful depiction of the Old West, but it seems they only really pushed it so as to show off Olivia Wilde's buttcrack and a quick shot of a a guy with a big hole shot through the chest with an alien weapon, as everything else is virtually squeaky-clean, not a hint of racism or sexism, grit or grime, and an utterly blasè attitude from everyone but Sam Rockwell as the bartender "Doc".

As the review in my local newspaper said, very little is devoted to "why" with regards to the alien, and far too much "why" with regards to Daniel Craig's Jake Lonergan, played so stony and cold you don't give a damn about any of his problems.

The characters are horribly one-dimensional and predictable, and there were so many instances in the film where not only me, but a large group of people, burst out laughing. And not when the movie was being funny.

Not going to spoil it, but the big "revelation" moment with Olivia Wilde's character caused some very loud and noticeable derisive laughter from many of us in the theater, and the moment with the alien that Jake had first met having a final standoff with him at the end was so hackneyed, it provoked chitters and groans.

For a movie that felt so long and, by concept, seemed to be aiming for something big, it sure felt small, like a Syfy original movie with some big-name actors in it.

But the absolute biggest plothole involves the aliens interacting with the people. Not only is it never explained WHY the aliens are randomly abducting people, but as it turns out, their ultimate reason for coming to Earth, and their goal, not only has little to nothing to do with humans, but considering their technology, they could EASILY achieve without EVER interacting with the humans at all! Considering how a clichè'd Hollywood flick like this ends with the good guys winning, these aliens could've saved themselves a lot of trouble by not looking to pick a fight with the natives for no reason. But then we wouldn't have this big dumb mess we call a movie.
58 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Bad Ass Action Movie
Chris Jaramillo27 July 2011
Now this is a summer movie with a unique premise that's not only out there, but works so well that it makes me say "That was BAD ASS." Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the next heavyweight action film of the summer: Cowboys & Aliens.

Okay let's get the obvious out of the way: YES, cowboys and aliens in the same movie sounds like an absurd premise that would only exist in the mind of adolescent boy. And yet, this child-like premise is immediately forgotten when you watch surprisingly deep characters struggle through a dangerous situation with overwhelming odds against them. And this film can get DARK in both terms of the fights happening on screen as well as the gravity of the situation. Instead of some silly-mindless action, you get a film that will make you grow a beard sitting through its 2-hour run time (which flies by fast). And don't worry ladies, you get plenty of eye candy too.

The film stars Daniel Craig (flawlessly using his American accent) as Jake Lonergan, a cowboy stranded in the middle of the Wild West with only a strangle bracelet on his wrist and no recollection of who he is or how he got there. After a series of dodging mishaps in the nearby town of Absolution, he is corned by Elle (played by Olivia Wilde) and hard-as-nails rancher Han Solo, I mean Colonel Dolarhyde (played by Harrison Ford). An alien invasion then commences and lays waste to Absolution while abducting several of its citizens. Lonergan must then join forces with Dolarhyde and the strange woman to stop the alien threat and discover who he really is.

The first twenty minutes of the film play like any Westerner you've seen: Craig plays the gruff loner invoking the spirit of Eastwood, Harrison Ford plays the gruff boss-man of a bunch of thugs, and the usual Western archetypes are present throughout the cast. It's when the alien invasion begins that these archetypes are immediately thrown out the window and you find surprisingly deep characters. Lonergan is a wanted man with a brutal past but the allure of a lost love drives him to learn more about her fate. Harrison Ford is playing the best we've seen him in years (yes even better than Indiana Jones) as a former colonel who has seen the horrors of war and he uses his gruff demeanor to inspire confidence in lesser men. Both Craig and Ford bring their A game to this film as they pull of convincingly deep cowboys.

The rest of the cast turns in solid performances. The gorgeous Olivia Wilde plays a mysterious woman who knows more than she's telling, but you can't resist caring about her. Sam Worthington plays a meek bar tender out to find his abducted wife and Noah Ringer plays a scared boy searching for his grandfather. And yes, these two minor side characters develop their arcs as boys become men. Everyone else does a great job in this setting as well. Okay, so now I've praised the story and the deep characters, but is the action any good?

Oh. Hell. Yes. The fist fights between humans are brutal and visceral. Horseback chase scenes are made more awesome with alien ships hunting the heroes down. And the aliens? Looking damn fine. The computer generated images aren't glaringly obvious here with the aliens looking bulky, hideous, and monstrous. They are the perfect band of bad guys. And unlike other alien invasion films, you get to see humans get into vicious fights with the extraterrestrials. Limbs are blown off, Guns blow holes into alien bodies. Aliens eat humans right in front of their comrades. All of it is exceptionally well-done and reminds you that this is most definitely NOT a kids movie (PG-13 rating be damned).

The best part? The fights mean something. You care what happens to Lonerman, Dolarhyde, Elle, Doc, and Emmett. When characters die, the persons close to them EMOTE. The characters who die are characters YOU grow attached to. You WANT their deaths avenged. You are made known in none-uncertain-terms that the situation is dire. And that's what elevates Cowboys & Aliens from a merely good film to a GREAT film.

Unique action movies are hard to come by and big budget films with great characters are harder still to find. Cowboys & Aliens finds a way to merge the Western and Alien Invasion genres into something fun, entertaining, and meaningful. Characters don't get any deeper and action doesn't get any harder than you'll find here. A fantastic summer movie that I highly recommend everyone to check out in theaters.
205 out of 385 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Don't Waste your Time and Money on this movie
jjm83-120-27880330 July 2011
I went in with little expectations on this one. I expected Cowboys & Aliens and thats all I got. What more could I ask for right? I could ask for story and a point this story, which this so called movie didn't deliver. I wasn't disappointed with the cowboys, but the aliens were just ridiculous with little intelligence. The movie never explained why they were on Earth or what the reason for aliens wanting gold was about.There was no reason for this movie to be made other than to take my money and dupe people like me who want something new and different than the conventional western or sci-fi movie. This movie was just two hours of people riding around on horses. Loved the cast but i hope they got paid well for being in a less than worthy movie.
135 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Much better than I thought it would be.
John Sim11 June 2012
This came and went from the cinema without much fanfare, and I've only seen the Director's Extended cut on Blu-Ray. But I can only imagine that those extra 15 minutes made a huge difference.

Firstly, it's a Western. Rough characters in a dusty town. Then there's the aliens, who terrorise the towns people. It's a recipe that doesn't necessarily sound that it would work, but the direction of Jon Favreau with a story by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman works to grasp the audience.

Characters are portrayed by all the actors with a touch of realism that's rare, and perhaps because of the extra time the director's cut allows each character is made believable.

Action scenes, and it's certainly not short of them, are fast paced but again the direction of Jon Favreau is excellent. Rather than the current trend of fast cuts where little is seen, the action is visible to the viewer and as such better for it too.

Overall, an action film which has a strong plot with character development. That in the end you do care for the characters. These days of action after fight after crash scene with little time for interaction between character to build on plot, this film is a refreshing treat.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Laserblast Revisited Warning: Spoilers
In the beginning, there's a cowboy movie. A man from nowhere, Daniel Craig, wakes up with a device on his wrist – then he's surrounded by three rough necks – followed by a quick, neat fight straight out of the opening scene of SILVERADO. He wanders into a small town, where a few more characters are set-up, and it feels like the kind of Western we love to watch, perhaps even something by Sergio Leone – that's the attempt, anyway. We meet the town brat, overplayed by Paul Dano, whose father, Harrison Ford, is a cattle baron with lots of money. All these and more folks are introduced, so many it's hard to keep track.

Then the aliens, in speedy vessels with lasers, and even lassos, attack: computer animation meets the scant Western setting. When a posse is formed, and the cowboys venture to kill the formidable foes, the pace flags. But it's when Craig's gorgeous love interest, supposedly the town whore, becomes "enlightened" by Indians and knows everything about the aliens... spouting exposition like directions on a new stove... that the film sinks beneath the surface of banality, completely losing its rough and tumble origins to a science-fiction melodrama.

Daniel Craig, attempting the iconic Clint Eastwood Man With No Name, is so tiny he's lost in his big hat. He juts his lips and hisses each line, and while this seems to work for James Bond, his performance as a mysterious stranger doesn't hold water. Harrison Ford, with a gruff, world-weary voice and a bitter hatred for mankind, seems to be doing a performance or imitation. The aliens, free from their ships and computer animated to the hilt, are too quick and dangerous to be worthy foes – thus Craig's wristband gun comes to play, making the other riders (and way too many of them) useless.

The only involving performance is by Clancy Brown as a wise, tough preacher, but alas, he makes but a quarter of the trip: one that starts with a quick bang and ends with a very long whimper. So here's one "spoiler" to sum things up – the girl eventually turns into a hummingbird, an image more stupid than the convoluted back story of our hero and the aliens, which is still completely unclear.

For More Interviews: http://cultfilmfreakreviews.blogspot.com
109 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Bad to the Bone
merylmatt31 December 2011
Thank heaven I saw this on cable & did not pay for it. Holy smokes, this was predictable, already done, clichéd.

**Spoiler Alerts**the character played by Oliva Wilde is an alien - it is so heavily foreshadowed, it clunks you on the head. She's there because the bad aliens killed all of her species & she wants to stop them (Uh, Star Trek, the Borg?) Speaking of foreshadowing, whatya think happens when Harrison Ford gives the boy his knife - gosh, is the kid gonna become a man when he kills an alien? You betcha! Native American guide is able to unite cowboys and Indians to fight together against the aliens. Together, they dodge, out run and out smart the aliens who have laser blasters. Since movies like this need a sacrificial victim, the guide gives his life to say everyone else.

The alien weakness? They don't see so good in the day time (Predator, anyone?).

Oh, and a LSD like trance induced by the witch doctor helps Daniel Craig remember where he got the killing bracelet and what happened to his wife that will lead to save the day.

The climatic attack on the alien spaceship frees the hostages and everyone is able to outrun a spaceship blowing up.

Cowboys Vs Aliens deserves to be on a short list of worst movies ever, but won't become a cult classic like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Planet X.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not a great western, not great sci fi. What's left?
Greg Smith30 July 2011
ONE LINE REVIEW: not a great western, not great sci fi. What's left?

RATING: Wait for the instant download. (rating system: "see it in theaters", "wait for the instant download", "don't waste you're time")

NO SPOILERS

Cowboys and Aliens opens with our hero Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) waking up alone in the desert wearing an alien bracelet and a fractured memory. He saunters into town and meets Ella Swensen (Olivia Wilde) who seems to know him. The aliens appear and abduct half the town, including the son of cattle man Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford). Now the remaining townspeople must muster courage to find the aliens and retrieve their loved ones. Our three heroes are joined by a doctor, a boy, and an Indian aid. Jake has a flashback that lets him remember that the aliens killed his wife, and now he wants revenge. With our team established and filled with sufficient resolve, they begin their trek to find the aliens, retrieve their kin, and destroy the alien invaders.

This story reminds me of the old-time westerns where Indians would raid the white man's town and make off with their womenfolk. Then, the men folk would form a posse and go retrieve their families. Only here, Indians are replaced with aliens.

So, this movie really offers us a story that was retired decades ago. But with sufficient star power and CGI, will it be entertaining to a modern audience? Let's find out...

Daniel Craig is the new "Bond". You'd think he might deliver a presence as the central character that carries the film. But no. In fact, he has very few lines (delivered in an American accent) and delivers them with complete solemnity. He spends most of his time brooding and taking his hat off or putting it on.

Harrison Ford is very believable as the hard-nosed cattle man with a past that includes fighting for the South in the Civil War. He's good... He's Harrison Ford, after all. His character goes through some important changes as a result of this journey. But that is usually what the lead is supposed to do. As good as Ford is, he cannot carry this film playing second fiddle.

Olivia Wilde is everywhere these days. She took a year off from "House" to make movies and she has put the time to good use (Tron, On the Inside, The Change Up). She is a smart and beautiful actor and I'm looking forward to seeing her in a lead role. However, the scriptwriters and director did not put her to good use in this film. She spends most of her time in the background watching everything else happen. We never get invested in her - nor does anyone else.

The special effects in this film are quite good. The aliens are pretty cool. They did seem to borrow from Aliens and Predator, however. The fighter ships that abduct the townspeople have a unique design. However the Mother ship resembles a vertical cigar. As for other special effects, a particular explosion was too reminiscent of the Challenger disaster for me. Too soon, I guess.

Overall this is a pretty unimpressive movie with under-powered performances and a stale story. I can't recommend you spend $10 on it, but you might enjoy it at home if you "Wait for the instant download"
108 out of 203 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Title Says It All
TourettesPersonal13 August 2011
It's easy to figure out what Cowboys & Aliens is going to be. I'm not familiar with the comic book that it's based on but the film is definitely what the title has promised us. There are cowboys, then there are aliens. If you are fond to Western movies then you'll be entertained but if you are expecting too much aliens then you might get disappointed. You won't be seeing anything mind blowing in this film. If you want to see Sci-Fi action plus Western Violence then this film is just for you.

Cowboys & Aliens is nothing but to entertain you. The only thing that is unique here is the Western & Sci-Fi collaboration. The film is just your typical Western movie but instead of Indians or some sadistic bandit, the aliens are the antagonist of the film. The aliens are pretty intriguing but we don't see them that much until the third act. It's disappointing if you are expecting too much aliens. The only things we see them do are ride their ships, stab people, shoot with their weapons, & jump scare the audiences. It's also your typical alien invasion film.

At least the action is full of explosions. Jon Favreau sure knows how to make the action scenes exciting no matter how flawed they are. The performances saved most of the film. Daniel Craig's character is actually bland in the script so does Olivia Wilde's, but Craig's performance gives a little more character to the role. I don't know what to say about Olivia Wilde's, she is just hot. Harrison Ford & Sam Rockwell do what they do best. Paul Dano can be both fun to watch and annoying at the same time.

It's easy to recognize that the CGI effects were made by Industrial Light & Magic, since the CGI aliens looks just like any monster from J.J. Abram's films. No doubt, it's good. The score is true to its western themes. The production design is pretty decent enough for a western film.

In the end, Cowboys & Aliens is just another blockbuster released to our cinemas. I don't know if this film is going to be remembered years from now but I think the only purpose of this film is to show its gritty western violence and some sci-fi action. If you're expecting more than the title then you will be disappointed. If you are expecting more aliens than the cowboys then you'll be disappointed. Cowboys are the focus and the aliens end up being the jump scare of the movie. It's not bad nor good though. If you are careless about the story and the character development, & you're just seeking for some sheer action and huge explosions then I can recommended this. But not quite.
64 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Awesome and underrated movie
cts-inc-ebay31 December 2012
Okay I really don't have a clue why this film's rating is so low. It was awesome. Without giving any details of the movie and messing it up for anyone let me just say that despite a very few slightly cheesy points, overall the movie was very exciting and in fact, thought-provoking at some times. The special effects were absolute great. Usually CGI leaves me for wanting but they did a really good job of making the aliens come to life and look very very real. If you like westerns, you'll like this movie. If you like sci-fi, you'll like this movie. If you like explosions, you'll like this movie. If you like a bit of romance, you'll like this movie. If you like being thrilled, you'll like this movie. I don't care that It's not your typical down-to-earth, realistic movie. In FACT, that's why I love it (and have watched it several times, thanks to DVD!) If you are addicted to PBS, but hate everything else... that's the only time I could see you not liking the movie. I hope they release a Cowboys and Aliens 2. I'll definitely watch it, as long as they don't flub it up with 3D and force people to waste 5 bucks renting uncomfortable 3D glasses. The theaters are so expensive as it is.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Excellent movie !
Trinh Amy15 March 2014
Wow! I see all beautiful concepts and ideas brought by through this movie.

The plot is deep and meaningful, with great educational purpose!

And it's not about someone being 'hero', this is about the joining hand between all people from children, to women,, to animal, from the Western, the Indians, to the Extraterrestrial, all are hand in hand for the same purpose of peace and love... each with different talent , yet being able to work with each other despite any personal conflicts ...

Someone may be wonder why there is not so much details about each character's history and personality, but that's not what the movie is trying to focus about... this is not about Hollywood idolization kind of stuff ...

I was actually surprised and impressed how the movie combining 'cowboys' and 'aliens' all together without any glitch; the actions are great, the graphic is excellent , the landscape and sound is beautiful....

I did enjoy the movie greatly ... and you will too!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
No cowboys freaked out at the sight of aliens in this movie...why?
tlooknbill1 August 2011
That's what I couldn't get out of my head during the entire movie. At least they could've allowed Sam Rockwell to play up his somewhat comical over the top reactive style of acting to lighten things up a bit and take my mind away from the nonsensicalness of it all, but then he'ld probably steal all the scenes compared to everyone else's dead pan serious tough guy & gal persona's.

I don't think there was one character in the movie that said... "Look at that! Wow! Did you see how ugly and creepy those aliens are? AND THEY CAN FLY!" All the characters underplayed their reaction to something that would even freak us out if we saw such creatures and these dudes could FLY! It bares repeating. But the cowboys stuck to their tough, rough rider exteriors as if they were used to seeing such things as just some ornery cattle rustlers to contend with.

I mean first off the aliens are lightning fast, bigger than a horse, creepy and terrifying as hell and shoot rocket propelled grenades off their arms while the cowboys were constantly emptying their six shooters and rifles at them getting off some of the most lucky shots imaginable. I know, it's a movie. You have to allow that.

And yet not one character in the entire movie was in a fetal position, drooling and chewing their tongue and gnashing their teeth upon seeing such horrific and unstoppable creatures.

I really don't think in reality cowboys, even the toughest ones, would've reacted that way back then and that's what made the whole movie seem off kilter.

The special effects and alien designs were amazing and quite realistic, though, which is why I give this movie 5 out of 10 stars.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
All in all this delivers what the title states
Ole Sandbaek Joergensen21 December 2015
I loved this film, but many people leaving the theater at the same time didn't, I guess they had set their hopes to high, if you expect an Indiana Jones like Harrison Ford or James Bond like Daniel Craig, well then you will be disappointed in one way or the other, but then again you didn't read the title very well if that was what you were expecting.

I expected (and got), Cowboys with a gritty attitude, self righteousness, tough and dirty. Aliens as the enemy in one way or another, maybe mostly I expected them to be big and ugly, well wait till you see the flick. Lots of fighting, shooting, gunning, explosions and good action most of the way.

All in all this delivers what the title states, it has humor & action and is very entertaining most of the way.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Under-rated
Laakbaar4 August 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. (Imagine me at this point snorting derisively at those who pan this film.)

Lots of action. Good story. Great character development. It's the kind of enjoyable sci-fi movie you can just get into without any effort. Just relax and hang on for the ride.

The strange thing is that it is both a good western and a good sci-fi film. Favreau nails down both genres (including the clichés) and marries them. Wow. It worked.

Daniel Craig is just fracking awesome as the tough-as-nails hero. Harrison Ford is great as the ornery old guy.

No, it's not a perfect movie. There were a few story issues. I got particularly irritated when dozens apparently had to die to free the dozens held captive.

Favreau is apparently now one of my favourite directors.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?