The Heartbreak Kid (2007) Poster

Under Rated
assignment4120 October 2007
I'm a little surprised at how badly people are panning this movie; I usually find IMDb ratings to be a good indicator. Many of the negative comments seem to be based on the movie not conforming to the typical 'good guy always wins,' formula driven, oh-so predictable crap that Hollywood tends to pump out. I see one reviewer here actually put "they couldn't even deliver the cliché ending" as if that is something to be strived for. As for me, if I want a morality lesson I'll go to church. If you're looking for a comedy to give you lessons on how to live your life, you've got serious problems.

I'm still only giving the movie a seven because it's a comedy, it's not like it was so moving that it changed my life or anything. As comedies go, though, I found it pretty good. It's not one of those constant, laugh a minute, slapstick comedies, but the parts that did make me laugh literally made me laugh out loud, which is pretty rare for me. All in all, this is one of the best comedies I have seen in years.
89 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
It's no "Something about Mary"
Kristen Kallahan7 October 2007
The horrible crude scenes leave a bad taste and overshadow any funny scenes. I think the Farrelly Brothers wanted to recapture the success of "There's Something About Mary" -- but they've flopped hard.

The universe of "Mary" was completely wacky and any naughty parts just fit into that universe. This one feels like there were too many screenwriters tinkering with it. (5 are listed). Someone wrote a mainstream romantic comedy script -- then someone else (The Brothers, I'm guessing) came along and just stuck in gross shocking bits.

It's very uneven. It loses steam in the third act. Has a very unsatisfying and unpleasant ending. Carlos Mencia is obnoxious. Ben is looking too old to be playing these parts. Meanwhile, the girls still look 25.
137 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
50% of marriages nowadays end in divorce...20% of this movie lacks laughs...100% of this movie lacks morality and heart
diac2287 October 2007
The Farrelly brothers have had a successful history, but their best work was past them a long time ago. Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary are among the two funniest comedies of all-time, and put the brothers at the peak of stardom. However, their track record afterwards is a heavily mixed bag; you find your underrated gems (Osmosis Jones, Fever Pitch) and then your disasters (Shallow Hal, Stuck on You). The Heartbreak Kid is their attempt to reach back into grade-A stardom like back in the late 90s. Joining with old friend Ben Stiller, they attempt to successfully recreate an old Neil Simon story about a man who has second thoughts about his marriage during his honeymoon. What we get is a cruel, twisted, vulgar, outrageous, and bittersweet movie that tramples over morality and messes around with the typical romantic comedy formula. Unfortunately though, the cruelty in this movie prevents it from being anywhere near romantic. While the Farrelly brothers crafted their best work since Osmosis Jones, this is still nowhere near as good as their comedies of the previous decade.

Heartbreak Kid is about Eddie (Ben Stiller), a lonely man who meets a woman (Lila, played by Malin Akerman) during a random encounter, and after a few weeks believes that she is the perfect woman for him. However, right after the wedding, another side of his perfect woman is revealed, and is slowly but surely becoming a nightmare come true. Despite their honeymoon being in a beautiful portion of Mexico, the honeymoon is a disaster as Eddie struggles to survive being with his new wife. Worst of all, during the honeymoon he meets another woman, Miranda (Michelle Monaghan), who seems to be absolutely perfect for him. In this cruel script, nobody is the hero, and seemingly everybody is the victim in some way or another. Nobody is safe in the movie; which makes this story perfect for the Farrelly Brothers.

Ben Stiller seems to play the same kind of role multiple times, as he has a similar presence to that of his character in There's Something About Mary and Along Came Polly. The only difference is, he's a bit more sinister and a much bigger jerk. His new wife is portrayed perfectly by Malin Akerman, who isn't afraid of embarrassing herself or showing off her body. Their physical humor together creates the biggest laughs in the movie. The most desirable character by far comes from the best performance; Michelle Monaghan of Mission Impossible fame delivers this charming, sweet performance as the adorable and beautiful Miranda. Everyone else did a decent job, with Jerry Stiller in a throwaway role as Eddie's father and Carlos Mencia (surprisingly funny) as a manager of the hotel in Mexico.

This movie's biggest flaw is its obvious attempts to re-create the surprise vulgarity and bittersweet content of There's Something About Mary. It worked back then, but it has trouble now, simply because the characters are not as likable, and the movie lacks heart. In Dumb and Dumber, you knew that they weren't meant to get that dream girl, but their persistence and their kindness (hidden underneath their stupidity) allows for the audience to root for them regardless. In There's Something About Mary, the main character goes to great lengths to find Mary and attempt to be with her; it became a raunchy and bizarre hero's journey. In this movie, the main character selfishly marries, and tramples over other people (emotionally mind you) in order to find his actual soulmate; making him not a necessarily likable character.

In spite of the lack of heart, you will find the laughs, no denying that. The new wife from hell routine was spoiled far too much in the previews, yet was still enjoyable. Unfortunately, once again, misdirection keeps Heartbreak Kid from being funnier than it could have been. After a while, Lila practically disappears from the movie, focusing more on Eddie's budding romance with Miranda. The movie mellows down once Lila is out of the way, and then we see a train wreck waiting to happen for about half an hour. If you are a fan of There's Something About Mary, there will be plenty to laugh about, but none of the content is rich or deep; most of the funniest scenes happens to be gross-out and shock humor. One unique thing in Heartbreak Kid is pretty crappy special effects, which makes it worse for this kind of movie because these kinds of movies do not use much special effects, if any at all. Soundtrack also isn't as catchy or as fun as other Farrelly Brothers movies, especially Dumb and Dumber.

Bottom Line: Heartbreak Kid is funny, but its not an instant classic, nor is it a type of movie to take a date to. While it is not as painfully disastrous as Good Luck Chuck, it still pales in comparison to recent adult comedies and early Farrelly efforts. Ben Stiller still provides the laughs through his physical humor and his ability to perfectly portray a man mentally breaking down. However, this movie has major morality issues and then really slows down once the romance builds up, yet we aren't rooting for anybody because everyone is guilty of lying, deceiving, and worse (except for one character). The directors are somewhat on the right track back to their glory days, but still have a longs way to go. They also really need to grow up and try to fray away from the gross humor, something that Mike Myers suffers from. Looking for laughs? Look no further. Looking for an amazing film? Keep looking.
131 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
First half so-so, second half quite funny.
servoskull26 February 2008
The Heartbreak Kid isn't right up there in the list of great comedies starring Ben Stiller. It's a bit further down, nestled in amongst the likes of Along Came Polly and Envy.

That's not to say it isn't a good film. As far as romcoms go, it's alright. I think it's fair to say the first half trudges along quite slowly but stick with it while the main characters are introduced and the plot is founded because the second half is nicely paced with some very funny moments as things start to conclude. The cliffhanger ending is surprisingly delightful and watch for a final funny scene around halfway through the end credits.
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Stuff it up your nose
middleburg10 October 2007
I can't believe how terrible this movie is. And the Oscar goes to "The Heartbreak Kid" in the category of the worst remake of a film ever made. Even without comparing it to the original, the movie fails miserably in and of itself. I just got out of a showing of the film, where there were some initial laughs, but by halfway through the movie, there was basically dead silence in the theater for the rest of it. This is expected to be funny: the crazy cousin hitting each of Ben Stiller's legs with a baseball bat; Ben Stiller trying to pull a big pain pill out of Lila's nose with her deviated septum; Lila apparently smashing what she thought was Ben Stiller's member; a sideshow where a donkey is apparently going to hump a young Mexican lady; Miranda's cousins shoving a hot pepper up Ben Stiller's nose, Lila peeing on Ben Stiller on the beach as he is screaming in agony because of a jellyfish sting, endless hitting and bashing of Ben Stiller by practically everyone including Lila in her sexual frenzy, and on and on. The movie commits a bad crime for a comedy - the outrageous antics add up to cringes, not laughs.

For those of us that remember the quirky, extremely clever and funny original, the comparison with this ugly, mean-spirited piece of dreck is almost painful. Other than two of the character's names, and the basic premise of a man falling in love with another woman on his honeymoon, and a couple of the same lines and plot devices early on, there is simply no resemblance. In the original, the only "bad guy" is Lenny - and that's simply because he's devious and dishonest, even though one can completely understand and identify with his predicament. In the original version, one feels for each and everyone of the other characters- Lila in her oblivious ignorance with her annoying (not horrific-like in the current version) habits, Kelly (Lenny's love interest--Miranda in the remake), selfish but coolly beautiful, Kelly's over-protective parents - it adds up to a surprisingly perceptive movie with regard to people's hopes and desires. And, Heck ---- it's just so damn funny with truly great clever dialog, unlike the newer version. In the new version, for some reason the same plot makes no sense, and one could care less about any of the characters.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie I laughed out loud. It looked like this was going to be a hilarious movie. I had heard how the characters were switched around - which made total sense in a remake, not just simply to redo the original, but make a new version with its own set of perceptions and laughs. BUT THEN, I read a review that said that the trailer contained the only funny moments in the film. I couldn't believe that. But now I do. Those few funny moments that are in the trailer are all that there is to laugh at. Save your self 10 bucks and a couple of extra hours in the day - watch the trailer, have a good laugh, and then rent or buy the original. A MUCH more satisfying experience!
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
We entertain you!
Carsten Bornemann18 March 2008
Good and fun movie. I generally like Farrelly movies. If you do, go see this one. I just rented the DVD and had a lot of fun with it. The extras on the DVD are also fun to watch. San Francisco as well as Mexico look spectacular in this movie. The locations act as another character and add a lot to the movie. The women in this movie are very pretty and likable. Of course nobody should treat somebody like that - but the title of the movie is "Heartbreak Kid", so I guess what else can we expect. This movie is not "Mary", but I enjoyed it a lot. It has some weaknesses. We don't really like or dislike some of the characters - the script could have made clearer choices. We don't really root for anybody (even though I wished, he stayed with his wife - she seemed cute, nice enough and willing to change if he just had asked). Overall a typical Farrelly movie, very creative, fun to watch but some weaknesses to the script. Also many, many great performances by actors in supporting roles.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
WOW, horrible
Melissa Lutz13 October 2007
This movie could NOT have been worse. Not possible. My husband and I watched.....oh I say over and hour before we just couldn't take it anymore. We got up and left the theater. That bad. There was NO character development AT ALL. Okay, enough where you knew their names...but that's about it. I really don't think anything the poor girl did was that bad. Okay, so she can't sing...um...ME NEITHER!!! And she got a bad sunburn. I'm sure we all did at one point in our lives. And her mom is big. Well, there's a a good reason to not love her. Whatever. Oh and the whole comedy thing, no that didn't exist either. I don't know, go and see it. But remember, I told you so. Have a nice day!
33 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
After the marriage, boredom kicks in!
Simon Parker11 October 2007
How the mighty have fallen! The Farrely Brothers once upon a time were the kings of comedy, with a string of hits under their belts and some laugh out loud movies that included Dumb and Dumber and There's Something About Mary, they were truly unstoppable. Then something happened, they suddenly made flops, or at least disappointments. Stuck On You in my mind is where this all began, uneven comedies that while having some good moments were just so unmemorable it was unbelievable. I never saw The Ringer, I didn't agree with the subject matter hence why I didn't watch it, but I was actually really looking forward to The Heartbreak Kid. The trailer made me laugh and it looked like a return to Mary territory. I went into this movie expecting a short, light hearted comedy with some hilarious moments. I came out bored to tears, having only laughed a few times and feeling really cheated and also very disappointed. The Heartbreak Kidis unfortunately a big flop and is definitely the Brothers weakest movie to date in my mind. This wouldn't bother me if everything about the movie was unbelievably awful, but the most frustrating thing is that there are moments in this movie that are genuinely brilliant. The storyline itself is great, the characters are great, the tone is right, so where the hell did it go some damn wrong? My guess is that studio interference has a large part to play. The gross out Farrely humour just does not gel with the sweet romance story at the centre of it all. Also the movie is way too long and the script way too uneven for this to be a good movie. This may not be the worst movie of the year in my eyes but its certainly one of the most frustrating. Ben Stiller is great, Malin Akerman is superb, there are scenes and ideas that are brilliant, the ending is pitch perfect, yet everything else is just so poorly executed!

So lets start with the cast which admittedly is the most consistently decent thing in the movie. Ben Stiller is on a return to form in this movie, after a few cameos here and there and a phoned in performance in Night in the Museum he finally seems at ease. In fact this is arguably his best work in my eyes since Dodgeball, not hard when you see his recent line of work. His natural easy going charm works in this movie and makes a potentially unlikable character, and actually at times his character remains very unlikable, just a bit more tolerable. A shame then the script gives him little comedy to work with, that is until a priceless psychotic breakdown over a Mexican band, which is one of the few highlights of the movie. The true star of the movie however is Malin Akerman as the psychotic Lila. Akerman seems to have a blast as the mad, former junkie, in debt, clingy, neurotic wife from hell. However I found something very strange while watching this movie, I actually felt sorry for Lila for a lot of the film. Sure when she's having sex and beating the hell out of her husband its hard to feel sorry for her, but when Ben Stiller is cheating on her its kind of sad. Whether or not this is intentional or not is debatable however. Michelle Monaghan definitely drew the short straw of the group in a role that is pretty pointless and just too unoriginal for me to give a damn about.

The humour of the movie and the unevenness of pace is definitely where the Heartbreak Kid literally breaks. The movie does start off quite well, sure its not classic but its amusing. In fact the start of the honeymoon is relatively funny, but then about the halfway mark the movie just gives up all hope and dies. The jokes dry up, the romance and sentimentality factor kick in and the eyes start to droop. Despite some decent one liners the movie just doesn't make an effort any more. You find yourself not caring anymore, you couldn't care if Eddie stays with Lila or not, you just want the movie to end. And then the film drones on and on and on. And then when you think you have an ending it suddenly does something else. Thankfuly the unexpected ending lifts things up slightly, but the standard beforehand is so low it doesn't redeem the movie. In fact take out the brilliant Mexican band running joke, the amusing sunburn bit, the few sex scenes and a couple of one liners this would struggle its already low 5/10 rating.

The Heartbreak Kid is really a movie I cannot recommend as it is way too disappointing. The cast do an admirable job with little material and the idea is there. A better movie is probably underneath this wretched turd somewhere, but unfortunately for now this movie remains just another lame addition to the Farrely brothers already struggling CV. The Farrely brother may have once been the kings of gross out comedy, but in an age when we have Knocked Up and Superbad, maybe its time they gave up and tried something else.
73 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Awful
emilylong12 October 2007
I walked in expecting to see "the best Ben Stiller movie yet" and walked out feeling gross and upset to have spent ANY money on a ticket to have seen such crap. The beginning of the film was funny with typical Farrelly/Stiller moments of awkward situations. Even though it was much more crude than any of the previous films these collaboraters have done, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. However, the laughs quickly stopped. This was severely disappointing. I understand the Farrelly brothers are the masters of the "uncomfortable" moment, but they cross the line with this movie, over and over again. It was sleazy and an awful commentary on current views of marriage. Yuck!!
31 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
What a horrible man..
pukke25 October 2012
In short this movie is about a man who marries a woman he doesn't know and on their moneymoon he gets to know who she really is. He ends up hating her and falls in love with someone else on the trip.

I think you are supposed to feel bad for the husband and root for him, but I just ended up hating him and feeling bad for his wife.

Sure she isn't perfect, but he is far worse than her in my opinion.

The things she does "wrong" are fairly normal in my opinion.

She sings loudly in the car, accidentally farts while he hears it, are aggressive in bed, get a sunburn and end up having a pill stuck in her nose.

The things he does however are far worse and just wrong.

He is disgusted instead of supportive when she opens up to him and admit she used to be an addict, disgusted when she accidentally farts while he is present and down right mean as he disappears with another woman while his wife is at the hotel in tears because of a sunburn that causes her to look like a monster.

He talks down to her because she isn't very intelligent, and is downright rude about her job. She is not paid as it is for charity and thus it isn't a job to him - just a hobby.

Sure you should never marry someone you don't know, but most of these things he experiences with his wife are normal.

I keep thinking of her point of view.

He is annoyed at everything she does and dishonest about how he feels about it when she asks him. He choose to leave her alone in tears and go party with another woman on their honeymoon - and then lie about it when he returns.

He is basically a scumbag. He lies about everything and is never honest - leading his poor wife on to believe nothing is wrong up until she discovers the truth.

Horrible!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Absolutely Horrible
Kevin Cox10 October 2007
I made the mistake of seeing this crap because I thought it was going to be a hilarious escape movie. The reasons it was so bad are many and other people have listed them here. But the main reason is that Ben Stillers character was such a self-centered, unlikable jerk. He usually plays a loser, but ultimately a likable loser that you want to root for. Here he's a lying, misogynistic pig of a man who treats others with complete disregard. I absolutely hated him. And the twist at the end just makes you want to see him get tortured for being such an a-hole. Horrible, horrible movie.

Please do yourself a favor and skip this one. Trust me, if you've seen the previews you've seen the only mildly funny parts.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Great comedy !
mheron-227 November 2007
The Farrely Brothers did it again ! One more good comedy for their list. I don't understand people saying this film is bad, cruel or something. This film is great, has a lot of funny moments, terrific cast and a rocking soundtrack. Who wants more than 1 hour and a half of pure fun, laughs and weird moments. The story is simple: Eddie (Ben Stiller) is a bachelor who finds what seems to be the perfect girl. He marries her only to find that she's a living nightmare. Later, he meets another girl and wind up falling in love with her. That's where the fun begins when he gets into a terrible mess with his wife and his new affair. The film is not politically correct, but fun don't have to be correct. Fun is fun and is meant to make you laugh and the film truly deliver the goods. If you are too moral about wedding, loyalty, good manners, please don't see this movie cause you probably will not like it. The ending really surprised me. I thought it was going to be something like sweet and warm. Instead, we have a real life, non-moral type of ending.
40 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Don't Watch This
JasonTrent3 January 2008
Where to begin? I rarely write reviews on movies, excluding those that are truly magnificent - in my humble opinion - or truly horrific. Unfortunately, this falls into the latter category. It is apropos that Stiller plays the lead role, as I can think of no other actor that would touch this role with a ten foot pool. The audience has no one to root for as the protagonist, Stiller, is a scum-sucking horrible being. To briefly summarize, Stiller plays Eddie, a 40-something year old who has commitment issues. When he meets Lyla and begins a whirlwind romance, his friends root for him to finally take the plunge. After a quick wedding the newlyweds begin their honeymoon and begin to discover each other and their past. Dismayed, Eddie begins to romance Miranda, who is blissfully unaware of Eddie's prior situation. The movie fails on every level. The laughs are few and sparse, and of the slapstick variety. The morale of the story reflects what is wrong with American society today. The concept of love is portrayed as arbitrary and something that we have no control of. When Eddie encounters a few stumbling blocks instead of trying to work them out with Lyla - which she does indeed attempt to - he turns to attempt a new romance immediately. Do yourself a favor, and pass on this.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Depressing
noperdd26 September 2007
I saw the pre-screening. I laughed twice so I'm giving it 2 stars. This movie makes you hate Stiller's character even though he is supposed to be the hero. He's creepy and a liar, yet he dates gorgeous women because they have no better options.

Stiller comes across in typical Stiller fashion, with quirky behaviors and odd humor. The film tries to be light hearted but ends up being quite depressing and not believable. Only a socially dysfunctional audience will see this film as romantic. The audience that has learned to create positive relationships may walk out half way through.

With a personality like that, Stiller's character would end up alone. Guaranteed.
92 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Flat Out Bad
StationsCreation5 October 2007
There is really only one way I can put this...DO NOT SPEND MONEY TO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! In fact, don't go unless your friend is literally paying you. It has a few funny moments, but that doesn't make up for the boring, played out nonsense that is the 45 minute gaps between funny scenes. The story is bad, the acting is sub-par, and quite frankly, I was trying to figure out ways to get my money back half way through the film. To go further, they shorten the funny scenes, and make the played out, annoying romance scenes way too long. Yes, there is nudity...but the nudity is not worth the money.

And if you do go to see it, though I don't know why you would, watch out for the highly unoriginal scenes that will remind you of romantic comedies that have come out in the past 5 years. I'd be more specific, but I'd hate to spoil any part of this horrendous piece of garbage.

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE!!!
76 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Farrelly's Return to Form...Not!
asalem18225 December 2007
After 3 watered-down, toothless flicks (Shallow Hal, Stuck on You, and Fever Pitch), The Heartbreak Kid was The Farrelly Brothers' return to raunchy comedy. Trying to recapture the greatness of their biggest hit, There's Something about Mary, they hired Ben Stiller and a Cameron Diaz look-alike. The end result is heartbreakingly mediocre. The film, which tells the story of a newlywed (Stiller), whose bride (Akerman) goes loco only a couple of hours after their wedding, just isn't funny. In fact, all the good jokes were in the trailer. The remaining jokes either missed the mark (anything that has to do with Monaghan's Miranda), or were removed altogether from the Egyptian theatrical version (apparently, there's a hilarious love sequence). In addition, due to sloppy writing, I found myself rooting for the bad "guy" (Akerman's Lila), and thought Stiller's Eddie was a jerk, as he cheated on his wife during their honeymoon. If that wasn't enough, the film is far too long (over 2 hours) and the last 30 minutes are so dark for a "comedy" that they're painful to watch. The film's only redeeming factor is Akerman, who gives a charming performance. But even Akerman's charm can't save this trainwreck.
46 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
A Waste of Money!
tjpinkston12 October 2007
Heartbreak Kid is truly AWFUL! I wouldn't even give it one star if I had the option. I'd give it a -10. Do they give movies LEMON ratings?

Why? It claimed to be a comedy, but only had cruel, slapstick style gags. The wife gets a sunburn so bad that she would have been hospitalized in real life. How can that be funny? Stiller's character took advantage of that and stayed around a second woman that he soon claimed to be his "true love."

On top of that, there were sex scenes that deserved a NC-17 or worse rating with at least one racial slur.

Unfortunately, these problems aren't the worst part! At the end, the script turned a so-so movie into a horrible waste of money and time. The "kid" had a chance to be with his "true love", but then we see that he has NOT learned his lesson. He is still trying to be with two women!

I want my money back. Don't waste yours!
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This film got a raw deal and that is heartbreaking!
meeza10 March 2008
What a heartbreak it must have been for the quirky director siblings The Farrelly Brothers when their latest outlandish comedy "The Heartbreak Kid" broke in as a box office disappointment. It did not help matters much when critics did not have a heart and ripped it to shreds. However, I am not one of those critics; probably because I do not have the certification to be a critic. All kidding aside, I thought "The Heartbreak Kid" was a laugh riot! Let me break the narrative to you. Ben Stiller stars as Eddie Cantrow, a San Francisco sporting goods owner who marries Lila, a woman he has only known for six weeks. Lila is played by the up-and-coming Malin Akerman. The movie is primarily set in Cabo, Mexico which is where Eddie and Lila go on their honeymoon. In Cabo, Eddie discovers that Lila is not the woman he thought she was and before you could say "se acabo in Cabo" he craves to stay apart from loony Lila. In Cabo, Eddie also meets a Mississippi cutie redneck woman named Miranda; played also by another up-and-coming actress Michelle Monaghan. Mr. Eddie all of a sudden wants to horse around with Miranda behind his wife's back. Plot twists eventually get more zany & bizarre, and of course what is a Farrelly movie without some Farrellycious gross comedy. Stiller, Akerman, and Monaghan did put their heart into their commendable comedic performances. Also, some other praiseworthy acting broke into "The Heartbreak Kid" in the form of: Jerry Stiller playing Eddie's dad Doc, Rob Corddry playing Eddie's follicle challenged best friend Mac, and Danny McBride playing Miranda's overprotective redneck cousin Martin. The Farrelly Brothers far-out comedy does go into a roller-coaster turn at times, but it was riding way high in most of "The Heartbreak Kid". I thought "The Heartbreak Kid" was in the apex of comedic popcorn entertainment for 2007, and I do wholeheartedly mean that. ***** Excellent
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Pathetic & Spectacularly Unfunny
justadventure-17 October 2007
This was a spectacularly unfunny movie.

Jerry Stiller - whom I love in King of Queens and Seinfeld - is absolutely horrible as the foul-mouthed 77 year old father. His stream of obscenities are not so much funny as they are unbelievable.

Ben Stiller, as usual, is not funny. His character is a pathetic loser who is impossible to either identify with or like at all. And that he marries his girlfriend without knowing not even a single iota about her personal life is ludicrous and 100% unbelievable. The writers made her character totally unlikeable which should make us root for Stiller, but his character was just so blah that I found myself rooting for her.

The characters are shallow, the gross-out humor is not even so much gross as it is just plain makes you cringe at it's awkwardness.

The character's attempts to return to America late in the movie felt like they were tacked on as an afterthought in an attempt to update the movie and make it feel topical. These scenes do not work at all.

Could go on, but I think I've made my point.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Heartbreaking...
Andrew Jerome5 May 2011
Lumpy and sour, "The Heartbreak Kid" is filled with crude language, crude jokes, and crude sex, little of which is even faintly amusing. It is almost entirely devoid of jokes that work or characters that are even remotely interesting. The character-driven comedy finds all the characters unsympathetic figures who seem either twisted, monstrous, shallow or just plain bad eggs. The film is limp and, for long stretches, quite tedious. I found it largely gross, mean-spirited, frustrating, and ugly. The occasional laughs provided aren't frequent enough or uproarious enough to warrant an investment of nearly two hours of a viewer's time.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
tried to hard to be funny...just wasn't (and I was looking for stupid entertainment0
pameladay7 October 2007
We just wanted to see a good/stupid movie. No luck. Crap. Lazy writing, weak ending (couldn't even deliver the Hollywood cliché).

Over all it tried to hard to be funny - really reached, it was painful. Wasn't campy, might have been better if it was.

Language was offensive and that is coming from someone whose favorite word is f*ck.

Crossed the line by using c*NT, and other phrases, that don't jive with 'teenage boy' language. A little creepy in that respect.

Don't waste your money.

Skip it -- not really even a renter.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Pure Crap
Natz17 October 2007
This movie is not worth your time or money, it has its funny moments and but has no heart. They try to make Lila as annoying as possible and they somewhat succeed but Eddie comes out as an a$$hole and even more annoying than Lila. Yes Lila is annoying but she has heart and good intentions, Eddie on the other hand comes out to be a shallow, inpatient guy. This is not a good movie, it has some funny parts and possibly one of the most gross moments in film. This was a waste of time, it would have been better is Eddie was searching for his true love, but it seems that he just gets married because everyone else is married.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This was possibly the most uncomfortable movie I have ever seen
Kristine27 December 2007
And that's incredibly sad after seeing Pink Flamingo's last year, I mean The Heartbreak Kid was just one of the most stupid films I have seen. There was absolutely nothing funny about this movie and I don't understand it's rating. The Farally brothers have lost their gift, because I have no idea what they were smoking when they came up with this film and thought it would be a good idea. Ben Stiller also, I mean, his character was absolutely the biggest jerk I have ever seen on film and was in no way likable. I think that was the main problem I was having with this movie was due to the fact that I think Ben Stiller's character was supposed to be likable, but there was no saving him from the way this script was written, because he is in no way justifiable. The Heartbreak Kid was definitely the worst film of 2007.

Eddie is starting to feel a bit alone in the world filled with love sick couples. But that all changes when he meets a beautiful girl, Lila, and after 6 weeks of dating her, she needs to go to a different country for a job, but Eddie is feeling so good that with the pressure from his dad and friend, he marries her. They go on their honeymoon and Eddie finds out that Lila have some disturbing traits to her personality. But his vacation quickly changes when he meets Miranda who is on a family reunion, and he falls in love with her. But of course, since he's still "technically" married, it gets hard to tell Miranda.

The Heartbreak Kid has some of the most uncomfortable nudity I've ever seen. I have no problem with nudity in films depending on the context, but this script was so awful, like how Lila loved being a freak in bed. OK, I get it after the first scene, but they continue this weird joke for a few more scenes, not to mention her jellyfish scene with Ben was beyond gross. This was just an unnecessary film in every aspect, the script needs at least some major work because the characters are awful and so is the story. Please stay away from this junk, it's not worth your time.

15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Horrible and a waste of time
paris_baaby18 November 2007
In general, people review a film out of will because they either loved it, or hated it. I am sorry to say but this review was written because I hated "The Heartbreak Kid". I went to see this film after weeks of anticipation. I am a huge Ben Stiller fan – as well as a fan of the Farrelly Brothers, so I thought, "this film is going to be gooood". No, no, no. Don't even consider seeing this film. Sure, you may get a few laughs out of it- (the beginning is averagely funny) but those few laughs will be strongly outweighed later in the film and you will just be filled with a feeling of discontent. I must say "The Heartbreak kid" is the worst film I have seen in a long, long time. It is definitely the worst Stiller film of all time. And yes I even saw "Night At The Museum"- Night As The Museum is "The Godfather" in comparison to this film. I can't even begin to explain how much a waste of your life seeing this film will be. Please do something else for 2 hours instead of seeing this film - unless you like horrible characters, plots, very-very-try-hard humour, then go ahead and waste your time.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Terrible!
madison322 March 2008
This movie...was awful. It was disgusting, offensive, and not even funny. I expected more from Ben Stiller - a quality romantic comedy, not a vehicle for sexual and scatological "humor" (and I use the term VERY loosely). The plot holes were endless - how did those twin boys keep showing up everywhere? I felt no sympathy for Ben Stiller's character and no spark between him and Miranda (she was annoying, too). The Mariachi band wasn't even funny. I felt that Ben's character got what he deserved. If the main character is unlikable, then the rest of the movie has nowhere to go. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy and I wish I hadn't wasted two hours watching it. And the ending?????? Terrible!
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!