The Departed (2006) Poster

(2006)

1,875 Reviews
Moles And Rats
bkoganbing7 December 2009
When The Departed finally gained for Martin Scorsese a Best Director Oscar it was felt it might have been for the work of a lifetime. It's not my favorite Scorsese film, that honor belongs to Casino for me. But it certainly was the Best Film of that year as well, rivaled in my humble opinion by Blood Diamond.

Instead of an Italian atmosphere for The Departed, Scorsese decided to use the Boston Irish who are the dominant group of that city in everything including crime. The film is simple enough, the police want to take down organized crime kingpin Jack Nicholson who plays a character named Frank Costello. That was Scorsese's little joke because the real Frank Costello was one of the Mafia overlords back in the day, although his real name was an Italian one.

Nicholson's character is based on Whitey Bulger who was the real life organized crime chieftain of the Boston area. He came from a really interesting family because a brother of his William Bulger had a long political career that culminated in that Bulger being elected President of the Massachusetts State Senate. I didn't add the word distinguished because scandal crept around that man all his life.

Getting this man won't be easy because he has a full bag of tricks. One of them being that years ago he put a young man played by Matt Damon through the Boston Police Academy, concealing a juvenile record and Damon moved gradually up the ranks and got to work in the Boston PD Internal Affairs Division. A great spot for a mole to keep an eye on pending investigations.

But the Boston PD has put one of their own undercover in the person of Leonardo DiCaprio whose family knows Nicholson from the neighborhood. At that point the whole film becomes a cat and mouse game on both sides with each having their informants on the other side. There are no dummies on either side, the police aren't keystone cops and the criminals as shrewd and brutal as they come.

Scorsese probably had a lot of help in having both Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg in the cast. Both of these players are well known for their Boston roots and they fit really well into their parts. Mark Wahlberg for his role as one of the task force trying to take Nicholson down got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He lost to Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine.

Wahlberg was the only one who came up short at Oscar time. The Departed won additional Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Film Editing to go with the Best Picture And Best Director Oscars for Scorsese. Leonardo DiCaprio had a career year, he might have been nominated himself if he wasn't up for Best Actor in Blood Diamond.

The real Whitey Bulger is 80 years old now and in real life he was as full of tricks as Nicholson's character is in the film. If you think you know how this film ends, I guarantee you will be wrong. Nicholson's character has survived in many ways, that's all I can say.

Scorsese has a nice feel for Boston's atmosphere, as good as what he had for Goodfellas in New York and Casino in Las Vegas. He assembled a great cast of people who all got a crack at working with one of the best film directors of all time. The cast didn't let Martin down at Oscar time and they won't let you down when you see it on the big screen or the small.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scorsese's best since Goodfellas!
MaxBorg8931 October 2006
He has made good musicals (New York, New York), surreal comedies (After Hours), satires (The King of Comedy) and biopics (The Aviator), but Martin Scorsese has never done better than the times he's dealt with life on the streets and gangsters. Mean Streets, Goodfellas and Casino (and, to some degree, Taxi Driver) are proof of that. It doesn't seem strange, then, that his finest film in over a decade (Goodfellas was released in 1990) sees him return to that familiar ground. With a few changes.

The Departed, based on Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs (2002), is Scorsese's first gangster film not to feature Italian-American criminals. In fact, this film is set in Boston, where the Irish rule. One of these "godfathers" is Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson), the man the State Police want the most. After years of investigation, they're finally getting close, thanks to undercover agent Billy Costigan (Leonardo Di Caprio). Because of his family (all Irish, all bad), becoming a member of Costello's crew isn't that difficult. Now all Costigan has to do is report to his superiors, Queenan (Martin Sheen) and Dignam (Mark Wahlberg), who will pass on the information to Ellerby's (Alec Baldwin) Special Investigations Unit. What they don't know is that Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon), the most promising element of said unit, has been on Costello's payroll since he was 12. Soon enough, both cops and crooks become aware of the situation, beginning a manhunt that's gonna make the already fragile Billy even more nervous and Costello increasingly crazier.

By moving from Hong Kong to Boston, Scorsese and screenwriter William Monahan have made the first step in ensuring this film will be quite different from its Chinese inspiration. Another significant factor is the running time: a mere 97 minutes for Infernal Affairs, 150 for The Departed. This is due to new characters (Dignam and Costello's henchman Mr French, played by Ray Winstone, were missing in the original) and subplots, such as the one concerning Madolyn (Vera Farmiga), a psychiatrist who gets emotionally involved with both of the moles. But the most crucial difference is in the depiction of the underworld: whereas IA was stylish without being excessive, Scorsese's vision comprises very colorful language (some insults are so creative one might expect Joe Pesci to show up) and, of course, buckets of blood, the last part of the movie proving to be particularly shocking. None of the scenes ever reach the gross-out level of Casino's head-in-the-vice scene, but in pure Scorsese tradition it remains unflinchingly violent (also notable is the music, perfectly setting the mood, scene after scene, alongside Thelma Schoonmaker's impeccable editing).

Amidst these brutal surroundings, the director handles a spot-on cast: Baldwin, Sheen and Wahlberg (the latter finally back on form) make good use of their little screen time, Damon fine-tunes the edgier side he showed in The Talented Mr Ripley and the Bourne movies, and Nicholson, playing the villain again at last, delivers another OTT but classy turn (original choice Robert De Niro would probably have played the part with more calm and subtlety). A special mention is needed for Di Caprio: working with Scorsese for the third consecutive time, he has finally found a way to shake off his Titanic image, thanks to a vulnerable, gripping (and arguably career-best) performance.

With its clever plot, excellent acting and expert direction, The Departed is without doubt the year's best film so far. If this really is going to be his last gangster film (he has said so), as well as his last studio-endorsed picture, Scorsese can be proud, given the masterpiece he has given us. If only they gave him the Oscar in return...
203 out of 315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lies, Betrayal, Sacrifice. What will you believe?
Billy_Costigan28 January 2009
First off, this is an American stylized remake of the Hong Kong hit, Infernal Affairs. I have to give credit to that, a good film. I have seen both Infernal Affairs and The Departed. I personally prefer The Departed, and I think because of one thing: Martin Scorsese. This is the master behind such greats as Taxi Diver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and he's at it again. The film has an all star cast with Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, and Alec Baldwin.

The Direction was amazing. (maybe one of the reasons why he won the Oscar for it) I loved how some of the scenes were shot and set up. Especially regarding the Chinatown, and police interrogation scenes, among many others. The film is perfectly set up with intense, suspense scenes while adding in amounts humor at times. It works really well. The script is top notch. (Also Oscar winning) Realistic strong dialogue from scene to scene.

Another thing I liked more in The Departed, as opposed to Infernal Affairs, was the acting. DiCaprio really seemed to earn a lot of respect from this role. Here, he takes on the tough guy persona so well. Sure it was known he was a good actor from his Oscar nominated performances in What's Eating Gilbert Grape and The Aviator, but he really takes it to another level here. I can't see anyone else as the character, he fits so perfectly with it. Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg, being Massachusetts natives, also give solid performances, with their natural accents. Nicholson works well in his role, as well. Everyone was extremely solid and everything seemed so real.

Set in Boston, The Departed takes in all the Boston like atmosphere. Beautifully shot scenes of the Massachusetts Golden Dome State Capital building is just one part of the landscape. The Dropkick Murphys song "I'm Shipping up to Boston" really fits, great use of songs. Scorsese usually works music into his films really well.

"Cops or Criminals. When you're facing a loaded gun what's the difference?" This quote really represents the film." Matt Damon plays a state officer in the Police, working for the crime boss of the area, Frank Costello (Nicholson). While Damon's character can be described as a "bad guy," he is really misunderstood. As a kid, he is sort of mentored into crime business by Costello while Costello becomes the father figure Damon's character never had. Leonardo DiCaprio plays a young guy, coming from a bad, crime ridden family. He's decides to become a police officer to get away from the crime life he's been surrounded by. Taking all this into account, Captain Queenen (Sheen) and Seargent Dignam (Wahlberg) decide to send DiCaprio's character undercover to find out more about the criminal underworld and Costello. With his family's crime record, he fit's perfectly into the situation. Now you have a highly ranked officer working for bad guy, and an undercover cop in the criminal underworld working for the State Police. From here it's an all out suspenseful thrill ride. Who's who? Who's working for who? Who can you trust? Paranoia threatens everyone. Lies. Betrayal. Sacrifice. How far will you take it?

At the heart of this film is character development. We really feel for the characters. We feel like we know them. It's really amazing part of this story and film. Tremendous story telling here.

This is one of the most entertaining and suspenseful crime/drama's I have seen in a while. While Infernal Affairs, came first, I think The Departed expands on it in so many ways. Really solid crime/drama. Check both out when you get a chance. It's really worth it. 9/10
234 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scorsese Does it Again
damianphelps5 October 2020
I think I would enjoy a Scorsese movie about making butter!

He's a genius and we are all lucky to have him.

Its a good story (a remake) that is largely swept to great heights by the performances of the cast.

There are over 2000 review for this movie so I don't think I need to add much.

Its really great entertainment that won't let you down.

Enjoy!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This one is about the mark of a great director
pedroborges-9088110 May 2021
Like i said, this film is about the mark of a great director, in this case a well paced, well written, violent movie with a great choice of songs, a mark that Scorsese is known for doing so well, but this one here is not his best film (not saying it's bad, far from it) but definitely not the one he should have won the oscar for, in my opinion the film that the Academy should give his best director award, was way back for Raging Bull, also not forgetting that he wasn't even nominated for Taxi Driver, but anyway, judging this film, it have a great cast, full of good performances, especially by Leonardo Dicaprio and Mark Wahlberg.

Also, this movie is a remake of a 2002 Hong Kong film called Mou gaan dou, the second time that Scorsese did a remake, the first one being Cape Fear (1991).
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10 out of 10 and WOW does this film deserve it! Absolutely Brilliant!!
James_Denton23 November 2020
Blood Diamond (2006) was the film which turned me into a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, and he must have been on a roll that year as The Departed (2006) was not only made that year, but is just as good as Blood Diamond with again phenomenal acting from almost all.

The good and the bad:
  • The film is 14 years old at the point of writing this, and is still as good as the day it was released first saw it.
  • The acting is phenomenal with the award (in my opinion) going to Leonardo DiCaprio .
  • One of the beauties about this film is: Just as you think you've grasped what is going on it throws another twist in.
  • The only let down for me (and it is minor irritation) was Matt Damon, whom I'm not a fan of or his acting.

With all the great reviews it should do without saying that The Departed (2006) is outstanding! A fantastic great story, with twists and turns and that will keep you guessing to the end - and even then you will mostly have guessed wrongly.

The film has it all... suspense, thrills and tense moments... the brilliance of the The Departed (2006) cannot be overstated. A must watch!

So this is one of those rare moments where 10 out of 10 is deserved.

Recommended.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Martin Scorsese Hits the Streets Again!
Alwood3 October 2006
Please don't make negative comments like some of the aforementioned people have been doing if you haven't seen the film yet! I have seen it, at a press screening last week. Not only is it the best film of the year so far, it marks a return to form for Martin Scorsese, and ranks with the likes of GOODFELLAS as being one of the best in his canon of films.

I'm a fan of the Hong Kong film, INFERNAL AFFAIRS, upon which this is based. While THE DEPARTED keeps the basic structure of the original, it is very much its own movie, so much so that the screenwriter, William Monahan, didn't even watch the original film while adapting its screenplay, thus enabling him to infuse the script with his, and Scorsese's, respective visions.

All the actors are first-rate (yes, even Leo, for all you DiCaprio bashers out there), and turn in some of their best performances to date. THE DEPARTED is sure to garner a host of Oscar nods, if not wins, including (hopefully) Scorsese's long-overdue statuette for Best Director. Plus, with actors like Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin playing supporting roles, that says a lot about the quality of the film they signed up for! THE DEPARTED is tough stuff, not for the faint-of-heart. That said, it is a must-see for adult viewers who long for intelligent, gritty stories to grace our movie screens once again.
885 out of 1,354 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable thriller but there are failings and missed targets across the running time
bob the moo7 November 2006
The war between the police and the organised crime in Boston has reached new heights. Both Oliver Queenan and target #1 Frank Costello have placed a mole into each other's organisations. Billy Costigan is selected to infiltrate Costello's ranks thanks to a family background of criminals and working men, meanwhile Colin Sullivan has been groomed since youth to come up inside the ranks of the BPD. As Costigan makes progress it becomes clear to his police superiors that they too have a rat feeding information outwards. With only Frank knowing Sullivan's identity and Queenan and Dignam knowing Costigan's, a race begins with the first one to expose the other winning.

Having enjoyed the original film, I was quite looking forward to this film and not really worried that Hollywood would mess it up. In a way it does deliver but it is hard to ignore the problems and failings in the film and if I didn't realise how IMDb put together their top 250 list, I would be amazed that the film is running so high up it. The original was a tight cop thriller which I remember thinking owed much to American cinema in style and tone, so surely America can only do it better? Well, if not better then this is certainly bigger, with stars oozing out of every pore, a big director and a long running time. In regards the latter, the film should be commended for moving slickly through the 150 minutes and not feeling as long as it is. The fact that it is cool, engaging and quite exciting will be enough for most audiences and indeed the sheer volume of positive votes on this site shows it has struck something of a chord, but this is not to say it is a classic and those putting it alongside Goodfellas are simply out of their trees.

The script here tries to give more room for growth to the characters, to explore their feelings outside of the tension and fear of their situation. Unfortunately this produces many scenes that are a bit dull and unconvincing as they attempt to deepen the material. Specifically I am talking about the thread involving the girlfriend, her scenes add little and the dialogue in the session scenes is obvious and, as a Sopranos viewer, I was surprised by this. A secondary downside of this (although not totally to blame) is that it is not as gripping and claustrophobic as I would have liked. Yes it is thrilling at times but I wanted it to be consistent like a real cat'n'mouse game with the noose tightening palatably around each character's neck as they raced to hang the other first. The ending is also a little less effective than it should be because, added to the original's strong ending is an extra scene that doesn't have a strong foundation and is not as good as it should have been.

Ironically for such a starry affair, some of the performances are a bit weak, and I'm thinking specifically of Damon. He never seems like the flipped version of Costigan and I never really got the feeling of him being trapped, panicked and hunted in the same way as his opposite number was. Conversely then DiCaprio is pretty strong and is convincing as he loses himself into Costello's gang of murderers. He works well alongside a scene-stealing Nicholson. At times he threatens to completely tip over into ham but for the most part he is just larger than life and provides a lot of energy to the film. This energy is harnessed well by director Scorsese who directs with this usual eye for a setup and also an enjoyable soundtrack. The use of sudden stops in the music and quick cuts is perhaps a bit much to get used to but it is strangely effective. The support cast is impressive in depth but they are not all that well used. Walhberg has all the best lines but it seems like he has wandered in from another movie at times and, funny as he was, he is never the developed and involved character that he needed to be for the way the narrative required. Baldwin is the same although he is more restrained and fits better, while Sheen is a nice touch of class. The woman playing the girlfriend is as weak as her material and although she did have an important part in the story, she adds very little beyond the writing on the page.

Overall though, this is a strong and professional film and it is a shame that it isn't as good as I wanted. The attempts to paint detailed and complex characters makes it interesting but not as convincing as it needed to be – with Damon in particular left out there with little to work with in comparison to DiCaprio. The moments of slick tension and action are very good though and the only downside was that it made me wish for more of the same and that Scorsese had focused on keeping it tight and taut in the same way that the superior original had.
41 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb acting on top of brilliant storytelling
General_Turgidson2 October 2006
Now I know that 'The Departed' is based off of the Hong Kong movie 'WuJianDao', but Scorsese really grabs hold of a great story and brings it to the American Screen. My father grew up in Boston and when we walked out of the theater he couldn't stop talking about how authentic the environment and attitude was. Then there's the acting in which the lead actors (Nicholson, DiCaprio, Damon) not only give stunningly entertaining performances, but you become engulfed in each one's perspective and dilemmas. The smaller roles that of (Baldwin, Walberg, Sheen) are supporting roles that remind me of Jesus Quintana from 'The Big Lebowski', by this I mean that their screen time is limited but they make lasting impressions that you cherish each and every scene they are in, Alec Baldwin especially. The story itself starts off with the basic intro of the players and the setting, but you'll find yourself slowing following each and every plot twist and rooting back and forth for the good guys and for the bad guys. If you're a Scorsese fan, which I am, I think you will appreciate this film. You can clearly see the Scorsese touch ranging from the cinematography and of course the music, it's great to hear "Gimme Shelter" again, but "Comfortably Numb" played in so well. It's another gangster flick from Scorsese, yet this one stands alone because feels so fresh and most would agree Scorsese does gangster films the best; so why not let him. Oscar worthy, the acting I certainly hope; this is DiCaprio's best role since 'The Aviator' which was his best role since 'Gangs of New York', am I seeing a pattern here. But my lasting impression wasn't concerned with the politics of the golden statue; my lasting impression was that I had sat through 2 and half hours of brilliant and especially entertaining storytelling. Thank you Mr. Scorsese.
931 out of 1,326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Identity
davidmvining29 March 2021
This is kind of the ideal remake. It takes a concept with great potential that the original didn't fully realize, deepens it, does more with it, and transplants it to a completely different setting. This isn't just Infernal Affairs in America, this is Infernal Affairs in Boston. The script by William Monahan, a Boston native, ends up so intimately tied to the reality of the city, its different cultures, locations, and even history that it gives the movie such a wonderfully distinctive flavor that sets it apart from the original. Add in Scorsese's incredible skill behind the camera, his ability to coax great performances from all of his actors, and the editing prowess of his long time editor Thelma Schoonmaker, and you've got one of the most entertaining mob movies of the past twenty years.

This film follows the original plot point for plot point, and yet they feel like entirely different movies. They're made differently with vastly different focuses that provide incredibly different experiences. Those who value plot over every other element of narrative would probably gravitate towards Infernal Affairs more naturally, while I see The Departed as a much more well-rounded experience that provides wonderful characters to enjoy. It's the story of two young men, one a police recruit and the other a protégé of the local mob boss, going undercover in the oppositional organization. There's Billy Costigan who goes from the police academy to the mob, and then there's Colin Sullivan, who follows the local mob boss, Frank Costello, around as a very young man who enters the police academy as his mole. The two moles end up on each other's tails, just behind as they try to figure out who the other is.

Where this movie really differs from its predecessor is ability to really let its characters breathe. That starts with Leonardo DiCaprio's Billly Costigan. A young man of two worlds from the start (his mother lived on the north side of town while he adopted a Southie accent when he went to visit his father), he's pulled from the police academy and given an undercover job to infiltrate the mob organization of Frank Costello, played by Jack Nicholson. DiCaprio gives one of his best performances as Costigan, especially deeper in the film when he begins to feel cornered, desperate for a way out. The other side is Matt Damon as Colin Sullivan. Overconfident, probably to mask some inner turmoil (potentially some homosexuality), he's a star trooper, helped along by Frank who offers up ironclad proof for crimes against unconnected people that Sullivan can present to his bosses and wrap some bows on cases. Sullivan is the much more improved version of Lau. His inner turmoil combined with the actual relationship with Frank he has that steadily frays as Frank gets more and more commanding and paranoid is a fully believable train of thought and action that sells the final act completely.

Both Costigan and Sullivan are at war with themselves. They both want to be good and loyal, but to whom should they be loyal? Should Costigan be loyal to Captain Queenan and Staff Sergeant Dignam who leave him exposed to danger for years? Should he be loyal to Costello who takes him under his wing and ends up trusting him more than anyone else in his organization? Should Sullivan feel support to Costello who treats him terribly, threatens him constantly, and could potentially be an informant to the FBI (like Whitey Bulger, an inspiration for the character)? Should he feel loyalty to Captain Ellerby who promotes him and gives him greater authority? It's really interesting how often the two characters' journeys mirror each other, and it never feels heavy handed, like when Costigan has to get his broken arm recast while Sullivan is on the fancy date with Madolyn, the pretty psychologist.

Madolyn represents one of the major improvements from Infernal Affairs. None of the female characters in the original Hong Kong production could have been really called characters. They were thin placeholders for dialogue and little else. Madolyn gets into relationships with both Costigan and Sullivan, and she ends up being a driver for both characters. She meets Sullivan first, falls for his easy charm, moves into his nice apartment overlooking the state capitol, and gets engaged. They seem happy, but he's at war with himself and he can't open up to her, outright telling her that he can't tell her things. Costigan, on the other hand, is a patient that she sees a single time in a meeting so mean spirited but honest that she can't see herself helping him on a professional manner, but he manages to ask her to coffee immediately afterwards. There comes an honesty between the two that gives Costigan his one safe outlet in a dangerous world. She becomes his guiding light in the fog. Played with intelligence and poise by Vera Farmiga, Madolyn is a very good addition to the story.

Matthew Modine, in this video from the Criterion Collection, said that in theater actors create performances, but in film it is directors who create performances based on their choices of takes. Jack Nicholson's Frank Costello is quite a creation that fits this theory pretty well, I think. From the stories I've read of this film's production, Scorsese gave Nicholson a very wide berth to create Costello. The scene where Costello confronts Costigan on whether he's a rat or not was filmed with a few props just out of view that Nicholson could pull from if he was feeling like it. The take that Scorsese left in was where he grabbed the gun and pointed it at Costigan. What I'm saying is that Scorsese has learned how to both allow his actors to go off in any direction they want but to piece together a cohesive performance through the chaos. It helps that Nicholson is playing a man who's steadily feeling cornered and out of control, a psychopath struggling to keep control of his environment, but that could be a recipe for getting lost, like what Scorsese oversaw in New York, New York.

The film's resolution as the moles work their ways out of their holes, Costello comes to his end, and Madolyn discovers the true natures of the two men in her life, is a surprisingly affecting ending. There's a lot going on across a fair number of characters, but while ensemble pieces are hard they are far from impossible to pull off. Everyone's dealing with similar issues, centered around the idea of duality. Even smaller events have this implication like when Costello confronts the older priests about how they abuse young boys, the men of the cloth being corrupted. Costigan finally facing off with Costello's mole is the ultimate bringing together of all the parts, though, and the suddenness of the turns in this scene fit the story, fill out details, and it never feels cheap.

The Departed is the work of a screenwriter providing concrete settings and intelligent character work to an existing plot while an incredibly talented director builds performances that fill out the characters and pulls all of the other disparate elements into a complete package. It really is a great film.
Incredible
gianmarcoronconi18 August 2021
Incredible game of deceit in a movie that never gets boring and that always keeps you in suspense throughout its duration. Despite this, however, it does not manage to remain too impressed if not for some iconic things.
Quite brilliant
Sergiodave11 August 2021
English speaking versions of Foreign movies are almost always far inferior, this may be one of the very few which are better. The acting, script, direction and music are all great. A must watch.
Masterful
doomedmac2 November 2020
Amazing performances, action, script, production, and directing. Exactly what I expected from this amazing director.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scorsese at his best
Gus-Lannister28 June 2020
I've just been binge watching the Scorsese movies for the first time recently have yet to seen taxi driver as the considerable one I've missed but pretty much all his other "famous" flicks, I've watched very recently. I completely understand why people say goodfellas is his best film and I do love that film but this is truly special. Not only is the acting and directing phenomenal but I believe this film has slightly better pacing compared to Irishman or even king of comedy. I think this has the best ending to any of his work and I think mark wahlberg gives a very underrated supporting performance. Overall I think this is one of the best films of the 2000s and is truly a cinematic masterpiece.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I smell a rat"
BrunoRatesTheMovies23 November 2021
There were more deaths in this movie than in a whole season of Game Of Thrones. One of my favourite Scorsese films with all the usual suspects, Brotherhood, Betrayal and Bloodshed. This is the definitive cat and mouse movie. PS, I must have a Matt Damon obsession.
A great film
benjaminwest-2421 December 2021
The Departed is a truly solid feature. Acting is a plus, with a star-studded cast that delivers convincing performances. Damon and DiCaprio both play their roles wonderfully, supported by good dialogue within well developed character arcs. The plot builds nicely with anticipation, providing unexpected moments throughout. However, the film does contain a few minor, although evident, plot holes. This is largely presented in how the the movie fails to truly capture how certain relationships had grown and lasted. Additionally, parts of the film simply do not click as much as the audience would hope. Still, the story is highly intriguing and maintains consistently good editing, production, direction, and sound. The conclusion is also quite satisfying. Overall, a great movie that often hits the mark, but not without some largely negligible flaws.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hands down the best film of its genre/one of the best films of the century
thecarmenlips31 December 2020
The plot line of this film you could almost say is a Shakespearean tragedy. Beautifully written with surprise reveals. Casted perfectly and Howard Shore's score works great to bridge together the scenes. It's honestly as high of a 10/10 as you can get.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic crime film
elliotjeory27 July 2020
I love this film. The way it is shot, the characters and the acting is all done on a grand scale. So many enjoyable quotes from Jack Nicholson's character. Many iconic scenes like a typical Scorsese film and of course a fantastic soundtrack on par with Scorsese's previous films.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but very familiar story of cops and robbers
dbborroughs2 November 2006
Remake of Infernal Affairs is not the second coming of the gangster film that some proclaimed it. It is a very good, if decidedly over long tale of cops battling robbers with moles on each side trying to remain hidden.

The plot is simple, a cop is sent undercover in the mob at the same time a crook works his way into the police force. Complicating matters is the fact that the bosses on both sides quickly realize that a rat is among and they begin the search to ferret out the mole.

The original Infernal Affairs is one of the better Hong Kong Films of the last ten years. Its a well told tale with some nice stylish twists. If the original has any flaws its that the film falls in love with itself in the second half and becomes a bit too showoffy. Thats not the case here, here the story has been refashioned and rethought into a gritty tale of Irish cops and robbers in Boston. Its different enough to discourage comparisons, which is a good thing in these days of shot for shot remakes.

Martin Scorsese has fashioned a really good film. The cast is mostly excellent, with only Jack Nicholson ruining things with an occasional lapse into stereotypical "Jackisms". Leonardo DiCaprio has at last arrived as an actor and turns in an excellent performance as the cop gone deep undercover. His performance is sure to garner an Oscar nomination.

I really liked this film but I didn't love it. The film carries a sense of having been down this road before, not because its a remake, as I said it different enough to rebuke comparison, rather its because it takes the gangster films of the past thirty years and compresses them together and has a very familiar feel. It reminded me of several other films about the Irish mobs, State of Grace in particular, so it didn't strike me as ground breaking the way The Godfather or Goodfellas did upon first seeing them.

My one real complaint with the film is that it takes too log to get where its going. Yes its tense and it keeps you on the edge of your seat but when it was over I felt as though I had been watching it for twice its length. A good movie should fly by and make you lose track of time. I was checking my watch through out much of the second half of this movie.

Definitely worth seeing, but I'm not sure you're going to love it, so much as you're going to like it.

7 out of 10.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Departed is a great movie from Scorsese
eva3si0n18 September 2021
The Departed is a great movie from Scorsese. Magnificent cast, strong story and just a very memorable ending. Nicholson also played great as the main antagonist.
The Departed
auuwws13 March 2021
A great movie alone, the best films of the great director Martin Scorsese, the story of the film was wonderful and a shock ending, and I did not expect it at all, all the main actors excelled in acting, especially Leonardo DiCaprio who presented the film. Movie. Bill's personality a lot and it made me sympathize with him. The biggest negative was the first half hour, but it didn't significantly affect my experience, my rating for the movie is 8.6
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully directed, acted, written and edited
ronakkotian2 July 2021
Martin Scorsese has had many collaborations with Leonardo DiCaprio. The Wolf of Wall Street is my favourite of them but The Departed comes at a close second.

The Departed follows Billy Costigan who is an undercover cop working to infiltrate Frank Costello's gang whilst Colin Sullivan is a mole in the police force working for Costello as he pretends to infiltrate Costello's gang.

Scorsese is known for his mob flicks and The Departed is an example of one of his best works. What makes this film work so well is the direction, acting, writing, soundtrack and editing. The performances are all fantastic and it's sad that only one got nominated for an Oscar. This is one of Leonardo DiCaprio's best performances. His acting is a major reason as to why the audience cares about his character. It's amazing how he switches emotions when he's with the police and when he's in Costello's gang in order to avoid suspicion. He does it so naturally and should've got a nomination at least. Matt Damon is also fantastic here as usual and suits his role extremely well. Jack Nicholson is mesmerising in every scene he's in, truly embodying the character of Frank Costello. He's fierce, funny and has a huge presence when he's on screen. Mark Wahlberg gives probably the best performance of his career. Despite his short role, he completely steals the show in every scene he's in as the foul-mouthed, abusive cop. He's absolutely hilarious, a joy to watch and deserves his Oscar nomination. Martin Sheen is also terrific and Alec Baldwin is also great and hilarious during some scenes.

The film is very long but Thelma Schoonmaker's incredible editing and Scorsese's impeccable direction keep it from being a bore. There is a sense of tension as we see this cat and mouse game unfold especially with DiCaprio's character as to whether or not he will get caught. The film gets more tense as it goes on leading to an epic finale that completely shocked me as it happened. The song choices are also wonderful and fit very well with the film's location and tone which is expected from a Scorsese film. A massive contribution to The Departed's greatness is William Monahan's smart and witty script. The dialogues are sharp, funny and the actors make them sound so natural. Some of the lines are absolutely hysterical, especially the ones given to Wahlberg, Baldwin and Nicholson, which provides great levity to the suspense and serious tone.

The Departed is yet another fantastic Martin Scorsese film. It's great to see him finally get his overdue Oscar because he deserved it a long time ago. I would definitely recommend seeing The Departed. It's beautifully directed, acted, written and has enough thrills to enjoy.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Departed Is Great!
BrnzReviews24 April 2021
The departed is one of my all time favourites, the story is so great I enjoyed every last minute of this definitely worth the watch.

Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio are all favourite actors of mine so it came with no surprise that I would love this movie 10/10.
Martin Scorsese at his best
mycannonball7 November 2021
This is an exciting crime drama with suspense and mystery, but what makes this top notch is that you really care about these characters. Sometimes movies with mob bosses and their cronies are just about watching spectacle and stylized violence, but this story hits the mark in terms of character storytelling.
Whom Do You Trust?
Hitchcoc1 January 2010
Wow, this was exhausting. We have a cast of characters, each of which has a dangerous side. They are woven into a complex network of crime and honor. Some are spies; some are mobsters; some are weak; and some are strong. The one thing that fills the screen is no one knows when it's coming. There is so much danger out there and it could be around any corner. The performances are great, particular by Jack Nicholson and Mark Walberg. These are a couple of crazies who seem to enjoy the most insane, continuous process of interaction among crooks and police. They are suspicious and ruthless and absolutely great. The down side is having a hell of a lot of sympathy for anyone. Leonardo DeCaprio's character is probably the most sympathetic but we know the fine line he is walking and that disturbs us. There is so much graphic violence and disrespect for humanity that it's at times hard to like it. Still, it never stops, right up to it's dramatic finish.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.