Battlestar Galactica (TV Series 2004–2009) Poster

(2004–2009)

What makes us human?
morethanwho27 December 2010
BSG is a wonderful sci-fi series! In the midst of the battles between the human kind and the robots, the dark sides of the people are exposed whereas the robots display in themselves what humanity should be. The desire to survive, the yearning for the Earth, and the hope for the future drive both the humans and the robots as the distinctions between them gradually disappear.

The casting was exceptional and the performances were more than convincing. The actors did excellent jobs in expressing the emotional struggles within and without. The dynamic and unpredictable story lines demanded feats of acting skills and they all performed to high standards. There were a lot of breath-halting cliffhangers, palm-sweating suspense, and eye-widening surprises.

At times, some of the narrations seemed to be a bit preachy. There were times when the decisions of the people on the ship were too predictable and childish. I had an impression that the ending was rather rushed.

BSG kept asking us the same question "What makes us human?" In this regards, this TV series reminded me of a book called 'Somewhere carnal over 40 winks'.

I hope for more of realistic sci-fi series like BSG in the future.
1,333 out of 1,399 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite simply the best sci-fi show ever made
Ghostbusterx6 November 2009
When George Lucas announced that he was to make the Star Wars prequels I had this preconception of a darker, better acted, and more more grown up version of the movies that were made in the late seventies - early eighties. Instead we got a bunch of kids movies, littered with some of the most terrible cinematic decisions ever put on celluloid.

And then the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica came along, which I must add, I watched from start to finish only after the show had made it's debut on mainstream television.

I was initially sceptical of whether this would be any good, but after having reached the finale I can honestly say that this is quite simply the best sci-fi show ever made. The scripts are top notch, the acting superb with a real heart and soul, and characters that, even with their faults, will be remembered with great affection by the viewers for many years to come.

This is the template for all future TV shows. I't does not overstay it's welcome, knows when to stop, and constantly delivers fresh, new ideas as the seasons progress.

Series 1 was a great introduction; series 2 built on the initial success and delivered some of the shows highlights; season 3 was awesome for the first half (until the writers strike kicked in just after half way - but still highly entertaining); and season 4 put the icing on the cake with what I consider to be a tremendous and satisfying end to this great series.

The only downside was that I wished it could have continued, but I guess it is better to exit on a high and leave the crowd wanting more.

For me this has stripped Star Wars of it's crown and raised the bar where although it may one day be equalled, will never be bettered.

Awesome
310 out of 424 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sci-fi for Grown-Ups
Iok10 December 2004
Before I proceed, I'll just add a quick comment for those slating the series without seeing it: please, stop it. Instead, wait and see what the new show is about and give it a chance. Unless of course, you want to miss one of the best dramas currently airing...

BSG is a very human story. Yet unlike Star Trek, they're not resolved by the end of the episode. Here the characters are real people who make mistakes, grow and learn from their errors. Or maybe they don't...

The point is that in the new BSG, the impact of the loss of the Colonies is something everybody must deal with, be it on a resource-management level to dealing with the loss of their families. The impact of the Cylon attack - never explored in the original series - is a major emphasis in the show and the viewer genuinely does get the feeling of the "rag tag fleet."

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the original series as much as anybody, but it was a product of its time and audience-slot. The new BSG is a much more adult production, both in terms of the writing and performances and the intended audience.

Additionally, the show is very non-sci-fi, but in a good way. Whenever any "science" turns up, it's integrated in such a way as to have minimal impact on the plot and, unlike Star Trek, it isn't used as a Deus Ex Machina to simply resolve the "crisis of the week." In fact, I'd go as far as to say the show is closer to 24 or The West Wing than it is Star Trek or Babylon 5, with the focus being much more on the people and their individual actions, rather than a wide-scale "space opera."

Performances are all strong, with James Callis being the real star. His tortured performance as the guilt-stricken Baltar are a joy to watch as he flips from near-hysterical lunatic to scheming toad to smooth womaniser. Olmos has the presence to give Adama the air of authority required. Sackhoff's performance as Starbuck is "subtly obvious" - she plays the brash, cocky pilot a little too well, something that's explained in later episodes. And Bamber's Apollo is a mix of heroic action and self-doubt which balances well. Mention must also go to McDonnell's President Roslin who, over the course of the series, has grown in stature and presence in a very subtle manner.

Quite simply, Battlestar Galactica is one of the most consistently strong shows I've ever seen. Considering this is only the first of (hopefully) many seasons, it's amazing to see how the show has "hit the ground running," with each episode being an improvement on the last. And considering the high standard of the first one, that's quite the achievement.

Watch it. You won't be disappointed.
1,481 out of 2,184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Re-imagined..some well, some pointless, some plain wrong!
imaginary-two5 January 2006
I have read many other reviews and find points of many that I agree with and others I disagree with, to wit... I saw other mention of the bullets issue, and I agree, a civilization, and technology, with Faster Than Light drives, and seamless artificial gravity would NOT use guns that not only fired bullets, but were obvious current day handguns. The Cylon Fighters (Raiders), I can even accept the redesign of the Cylon Fighters, as if they got rid of the crew area, and put the Cylon face on them to signify the fact that the ship IS the Cylon, kinda makes sense, even, and they are not too different than the originals in motor and weapon placement and overall shape (minus the crew area). The Cylon Base Stars, what, was a order given that they cannot look ANYTHING like the originals?, the 5 sided round double angular saucer of the originals is not that boring, terrible, or unimaginative of a ship design! They could have enhanced that design, like they did all the other ships (kinda), the new double three sided star looking Base Stars have not even a hint of the originals, but the interiors, with their "Alien" organic look is nice. Speaking of the Galactica, and the recent Pegasus, I can accept them in a similar manner as a refitted WW II aircraft carrier or battleship. But, does the non networking philosophy of the new Galactica (which again actually makes some sense, and tries to explain the corded handsets) extend to the doors?, is it somehow illegal to have any that slide? I guess again a FTL technology can't make compact slider motors hid in walls, or is Ron just making sure you don't mistake this for Trek, or even Babylon 5?

The Cylons , or most of them, the human looking ones, I see as rather a cop out, ST:TNG had "The Borg" and now this, one might begin to think that Ron is just scared of, or incapable of, making truly alien looking aliens, or robots? The re-imagined CG Cylons are cool looking, but what of them have we seen, maybe a total of 10 mins. of screen time? Will they ever talk?, even if the original Cylon Centurions sounded rather like a cheap "Darth Vader", or a 1980s vintage Chrysler Lebaron that featured a canned on a chip synth voice, they at least could talk! More importantly, will these new CG Cylons ever be portrayed as anything other than short screen shots with no real personality, or purpose, other than to shoot their bullet firing guns?

Now for the acting, I think Edward James Olmos is great, I loved the few Miami Vice episodes he was showcased in and his Blade Runner performance, his trademark hard line seriousness is a better Adama than Lorne Greene ever was, sorry. I could never stop thinking of Greene as Ben Cartright, I kept waiting for him to get on a horse! I also like Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslin, and I don't remember seeing her as anything other than the small part of the president's wife in Independence Day, and was unimpressed with that, so I don't have a bias for her. James Callis is good as Baltar, and although I think the original Baltar (John Colicos) was a much better villain and more interesting character, I have grown to like the re-imagined Baltar, and his subplot. I thought, BTW, that Callis was just silly in ST:DSN. The new Col. Tigh is interesting as well, but I again liked the original Tigh better (and I must say I think the only reason Tigh is not black is because they are too politically correct to have a drunk black) the rest, well, the others I consider interchangeable with 100s of other so-so actors in B-grade TV shows, and the Cylon/Human Number Six (Tricia Helfer) is a obvious name rip off of Seven of Nine in ST:V, and the character is just a bimbo whore, but one who happens to support the (Cylons looking for God? Cylons wanna have a baby?) subplot connected to Baltar. I also think the feminization of Boomer and Starbuck is pointless, except as maybe another politically correct move. I liked all the original pilots better. Speaking of old pilots, I am glad they gave SOMETHING to Richard Hatch (Apollo in the original, Tom Zarek in the re-imagining), after his hard work and even mortgaging his house to make the pilot for his idea of a continuation of BSG, he certainly deserves something, more even, like do his vision, maybe? One other character I must comment on, Admiral Cain, (Michelle Forbes) is very different than the original's Commander Cain (Lloyd Bridges) of the Pegasus, but I like her performance, at least on Jan. 5th, before I see part 2 tomorrow, I also liked her as Lt. Ro on ST:TNG and she plays a similar role, a believable strong female, so her "persona" has continuity, and I like that.(Yea, sure, call me the type cast loving kook!)

I could go on, but I will end with this, I LOVE some elements of the re-imagined Galactica, and I find other parts VERY distasteful, and for me it's very much a Love/Hate attitude I have about the show, but I have grown to kinda like the show, and will continue to watch it. It has drama, the camera work I happen to like, some of the actors are very good, it has interesting plot twists and questions yet to be answered. So for now I'll overlook the distasteful elements.

And of course I loved the original, and really wish that a character like the "IL Series" Cylon Lucifer (voiced by Jonathan Harris, "Lost in Space's" Dr. Smith) was included, and hope (I'm sure quite pointlessly) that a episode similar to the original's "The War of the Gods" would be made in future
615 out of 976 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10 reasons why you shouldn't watch Battlestar Galactica
lamiable1 January 2010
1. If you want mindless techno-babble, then this show isn't for you. 2. If you don't manage to appreciate what good... no, let me rephrase that for you: exquisite acting is, then you definitely shouldn't watch it. 3. If you expect to have a crew of four, including a science doctor, an alien, a military and some random Indiana Jones guy, all of them solving new let's-save-the-Earth-before-lunch problems, then skip BSG, is not for you. 4. If you're afraid of seeing real human stories put into a SF shell, perhaps you should go back to Star Trek (and I'm a trekkie too, but...) 5. If you crave to hear 'shields up' or 'engage' or other classic one- liners, then you should rather settle for "frak". Or is it "frakk"? 6. If you're unable to follow a 4 season-long story arc with every episode adding something precious to it without having withdrawal symptoms, then you should really don't give it a try. 7. If all that you want is see people in tight suits flashing laser pistols and teleporting from harms' way, then change the channel. 8. If your interest for spiritual quests, tough sexy girls and people really dying and not returning is something like zero. Oh well, you might skip that 'dying and not returning part' :P 9. If you don't like space battles rendered so real (and with as most care for real physics as a TV SF show can take) that you feel you ARE there. 10. Finally, if you have a mind so closed that you cannot appreciate what the best SF show ever made is all about.

In my opinion, any problem that somebody would have with this show would be his/her problem, not the shows. For the rest of us, BSG raised the bar so high, we almost cannot enjoy other SF shows anymore.

But then... we can always re-watch it, and hope others will learn from it, too.
287 out of 459 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different? Yes, Better? Absolutely!
sktrucking4 June 2006
As a child of the 70's I can say that I loved the original BSG and always wanted a proper return to the story, not that lame attempt called "Gallactica" with the guy from "Adam 12". However, I was skeptical about this new show because of the core changes, like making Starbuck and Boomer female, for example. It didn't matter. This is one of the best TV shows ever made. It's dramatic, funny, sad, extremely dark and immensely engrossing. By changing the character of Baltar from a ruthless power hungry madman in the original to the witless and sympathetic patsy that he is at the beginning of this show creates a whole new dynamic to this character and his development. Adding the president to be a counter balance to Adama instead of the commander automatically ruling over everyone was far more believable than the council full of wusses that were supposed to be in charge in the '78 version.

Bottom line, the stories are more intense, the characters are stronger, the suspense can drive you mad. This show is addictive to say the least. The creators have brought a realism to this idea that just wasn't there in the original. In '78, the show was a campy attempt to capitalize on the Star Wars phenomenon that was definitely entertaining, but was also a little too convenient in its "everything works out by the end of the episode" theme. Life isn't like that. This new version completely escapes from the happy family sweetness of a '70's TV series. Battlestar Gallactica(2004) is a more believable life and death struggle because people actually die in this series. The only noteworthy death in the original was that of Serena, and that was in the first 3 to 5 hours of the series. These people are fighting for their lives. They're not all going to make it. The last scene of season 1 had me and all my friends jumping out of our seats yelling "NOOOOO! They didn't just do that!!! They can't leave it like that!! When does the next season start?!?!?!?!" Not many shows have had that kind of effect on me in my life, and I watch way too much TV.

In closing, BSG(04) is a fantastic show. If you were a fan of the original, savor it for what it was, but give this reincarnation a chance, I think you'll love it.
305 out of 497 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best SF Series ever
rhob19601 October 2009
When I heard that the Science Fiction Channel (I refuse to acknowledge their new name), I was less than thrilled. The original series was, to put it bluntly, crap. They took a great idea, the near genocide of a species and let it rot. Rather than keeping it within the boundaries they set, Glen Larson and company made it basically, the fugitive in space. I won't go into how there was no science in this at all, no jump engines, no warp, no FTL of any kind. Of how they knew nothing about any astronomy, or the stupid measurements that meant nothing. The writing was horrible, many episodes were just rip offs of movies, the acting barely tolerable. So I was less than thrilled. However, when I heard that Ron Moore, one of the geniuses behind Deep Space Nine, the best of all the Star Trek spin-offs, was doing it. I was interested. Then, when I saw the miniseries, I was hooked. Galactica is a brilliant show that brought humanity back to Science Fiction. As the show went on and more and more plot threads were revealed, the show was shown to be complex, the kind of TV that's been lacking and can only be held up with excellent shows like Dexter and Breaking Bad. Brilliant in every aspect, Galactica is the kind of show that cannot be understood in one viewing, it has to be watched again and again. Galactica led the way for a resurgence of intelligent Science Fiction, with shows like Fringe and Flash Forward following it's example. Four seasons was for some, too short, but for me a perfect length. I eagerly await THE PLAN.
109 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Greatest Sc-Fi show ever, So say we all.
PeterWorthers5 May 2008
I am a die hard devoted Trekker. No other show can come close to the series I hold so dear to my heart.... or can it? I watched the mini series on sci-fi expecting to be disappointed. What happened in reality was a show I will honestly say is second to none, the best science fiction out there. The story lines are top notch, the struggles make you feel for the characters, you really get into this show. (that and I have never found a robot so hot before. Did I just say that out loud?) The way the camera moves makes you feel like you are looking out a port hole at the action outside. Its not like other shows, this is hard hitting, nitty-gritty sci-fi. Unlike what we have been led to think the future is not all bright and promising , the future is bleak, hard and depressing. The technology we thought would make our lives easier will in fact be the end of our lives (FEAR THE MACHINE!!) Bad toaster. It is 4 seasons (and final sadly) in and still as entertaining as ever. It will be a sad day for geeks everywhere when the series finale airs. But at least we can live in the knowledge that we were here to see the series to end all series. So Say We All.
217 out of 365 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some of the best TV ever
Thirdover48 June 2006
I was a fan of the original and a fan of science fiction, but more so I am a fan of great cinematic television. This show went beyond my wildest dreams. Some people have a hard time with certain dramatic and artistic choices made by the producers, but to me those choices only make the show stronger and gutsier. The new Battlestar Galactica concentrates on characters, drama, and the human condition and shies away from the fantasy, serial elements of the original and others of the genre. A first rate cast with real acting chops help ground the story and characters in a universe where the audience cares what happens to them. This is the antithesis of the original that relied on caricature villains and cartoon story lines. The new show tackles real life issues about human rights, religion, and the moral ambiguity of war. It's no wonder Battlestar Galactica has garnered glowing reviews from Time Magazine, Rolling Stone, TV Guide, and the American Film Institute.
195 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame, dull and pretentious all the way to the end!
anacleto_biloba21 March 2009
This show is so messed up that the writers had to pull a "Deus ex machina" to tie up loose ends in the finale!!!

The producer of the show wants us to believe that it is a very deep scifi drama when in reality is just a pretty dull drama with some robots in it. I believe that the show was written as they moved along without a clear idea of what to do next. The series has interesting concepts and ideas. Sometimes the series gained some momentum, but it fizzled away very quickly.

The people from this far far away planet called Caprica celebrate what they call "baby-showers", drink "wine" and "champagne", suffer from some strange sickness called "cancer" eat sushi etc etc. There is no creativity in the writing!!! Everything looks and feels like today Earth!!! Even the characters behaviors!! If I want to see an earth like drama I'll watch 24, ER or The Bold and Beautiful

I did not feel the characters struggle to survive. Starbuck and Apollo tried tooo much to be "cool" and "tough". I hated both characters. Adama cried tooo much for a seasoned commanding officer.

The couple of seasons of Babylon 5 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/ dealing with the Shadow war kicks the whole galactica series ass.

I really wanted to like this show. I watched every episode, but at the end I still cannot recommend it.
196 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretentious and ponderous, but ultimately very weak
jmgindiana14 April 2009
After watching the whole series, I must say this was a total disappointment, and the ultimate proof about how things are done in Hollywood: good contacts, speaking loud, and making the audience believe they are smarter than they really are because the series it's "intelligent".

From the very beginning there were lots of things that didn't add up, but we let them pass, such as full-election process in a refugee fleet, including public debates and such, as if anyone of the 48.000 survivors could care about politicians after their worlds, friends and family had just been killed. Boomer's sabotages to the fleet didn't make much sense, but they were interesting. Cain's "reimagining" was just a one-dimensional creation, a square warmonger who -as always happens with writers who dislike the military- is ultimately proved wrong in almost everything she does. Things got gradually worse, starting with the one-year jump, and the introduction of the "final five", a concept that most likely was spurned by fans who were asking themselves who were the remaining "models", instead of writers who actually had anything planned for those characters.

While the show garnered critical acclaim, viewers left in droves. Those who remained could be ultimately divided into two groups: the fanatics, for whom anything with the brand "Galactica" (excluding the old show) was God turned into television, and regular viewers who were giving the show the benefit of the doubt, hoping that things could be salvaged at the end with a plausible explanation.

The show's decline, however, became even more pronounced in the last seasons. Instead of fixing the glaring problems of the previous seasons, they introduced new ones, contradicting a lot of stuff, and creating whole story lines -the aforementioned "final five", for example- that in the end turned out to be just a big red herring. Even worse, they committed the worse sin for a show supposedly grounded in reality, even being sci-fi: they resorted to "divine intervention" to explain the whole plot and most of the central story lines. Two characters, one barely seen, suddenly became "angels", while another was turned into a "divine creature", without even the most basic explanation. The whole epilogue for the characters was a disaster, pulling the "emotional strings" while throwing logic out of the window.

To add insult to injury, the show's lack of appeal forced a number of obvious budget cuts, but at the same time, the number of episodes per season was increased from 13 to 20. As a result, we ended up with a sci-fi show with little sci-fi at all, with almost no action to speak of (space or otherwise), and tons of episodes to the top with filler. Of course, that filler was filmed as if it were "relevant" and "dramatic", with hand held cameras and dramatic lighting, no matter if it was just two guys speaking about nothing in a corridor.

As always, a number of fanatics claimed, as they will always claim, that the show was about the characters, about "drama", and never about space battles and such. They are wrong. Battlestar Galactica was sold as a sci-fi drama, not just "drama", and that's the reason it was green lit in the first place. Those who claim that Galactica was always what it turned out to be in the last disastrous seasons should take a look at what it was in the beginning.

In the end, the problem was one person -Ron Moore- with too much power and ego to make "just" a sci-fi series. He had the means, and ultimately proved his detractors right exactly about what they were trying to say from the beginning: that Moore, and Galactica, were all show and no substance, with soap-operish drama, weak actors -with a few exceptions in Olmos, McDonnell and a couple more-. Not only that, but by trying to write himself out of his corner, Moore's writing turned most of the events in the earlier seasons totally unnecessary, ruining the series as a whole.

So farewell, BSG 2004. You went the way of the do-do at the end, and just like the X-Files, managed to survive as long as you could avoid giving answers. I doubt anyone would want to re-watch the series knowing how useless everything turns out to be.
288 out of 520 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific
max-42122 February 2005
I watched regularly the original Battlestar Galactica and I liked it when I was a teen, but it was not one of my favorites. Nevertheless I didn't like the idea of a remake, in general I don't like the idea of remake at all, it's typical of Hollywood to be willing to film something again, to adapt it to current taste, or moral. But why do you have to do it? Would be like re-writing Moby Dick every 20 years to adapt it to changes of the readers. It's ridiculous, be imaginative and film something new.

So, I watched the first episode of this new Battlestar Galattica with more than prejudice, I was pretty sure I would have not liked it. I actually watched the making of, before to watch the very first episode, and I listen to the producer Ronald Moore and I didn't like him either, I thought he was phony.

That's why while I was watching the first two episodes (the pilot), I found myself with mouth open thinking... Gawd... He just know how to write. He really does.

It's not without flaws, of course, as life is... But Ronald Moore just really know his job; this new Battlestar Galactica is terrific. The stories are so well written, few of the actors are unbelievable. Edward James Olmos is gorgeous. And all the cast is extremely good.

Let me just spend a word for Starbuck, maybe Katee Sackhoff is a kid, but she's obviously talented, and she just fit the role like a glove.

The casting is terrific, the stories are... The acting is...

You will just forgive what you will not like, because, overall, this is a terrific show.
259 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I've done what most of you asked and tried the new Battlestar Galactica.... but....
jayoung-413 September 2005
I have just spent the last hour looking through several posts that tell fans of the original Battlestar Galactica to give the new "improved" series a chance.

Well I HAVE given the new BSG a huge chance... I even bought the miniseries sight unseen excited at the prospect of falling in love with the characters all over again (regardless that Starbuck and Boomer are now females). I then recorded every episode of season one (this was the only way to ensure I didn't miss an episode as I work shift work). I've tried and tried and tried to even LIKE the new BSG but unfortunately I have to say that IT IS BORING....I'd rather watch paint dry! I'll give you my reasons:

1) The writers/producers seem to be relying on the fact that viewers want to see the main characters in compromising positions with each other almost every time the scene changes (just turn the channel and you'll see that sort of thing on just about every other program - ranging from "sex in the city" to the common late night movie). The blond "bimbo" cylon is only there to try entice the male viewers. She does absolutely nothing for female viewers...apart BORING them to death and making them wish she would go away so that the story can advance.

2) There is also very little depth to the characters...you'd think that by the end of season one you would have some favourite characters that you want to see winning the battle over the "evil cylons" - BORING

3)The long and drawn out process of trying to discover who may be cylon or not. "Just cut to the chase" and get on with the story! If I wanted to watch a series based on conspiracy, backstabbing, and following every thing that the president says to try and catch the cylon impostors....I'd watch "24". The fact that it takes an entire series of this BSG just to clarify some simple story lines is BORING

4) There are far too many references to modern day Earth in the form of language, fashion, technology and religion. These are supposed to be a race of humans that are living in the distant regions of the universe! I find it extremely hard to believe that a society who's distance so far removed from our own could evolve in a completely parallel and uniform fashion! You just have to look at how diverse our current societies are (ranging from Christian to Buddist) and the cultural differences of the countries on this Earth. Are the writers that narrow minded that they want us to believe that the only way Humanity evolved in the far reaches of the universe is the same as modern day America??? This isn't boring it is STUPID!

I could go on for ages about why this "new improved version of BSG" is BORING, but, short of trying to watch both the miniseries and season one all over again to find some redeeming qualities, I'm going to go and turn on my DVD player and loose myself in the PURE ENTERTAINMENT that is the REAL "Battlestar Galactica - The original series" After all I did what most of you asked...I tried the new BSG and it is BORING! BORING! BORING!!!
685 out of 1,317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amongst the best TV out there
joren-vaes13 August 2013
Battlestar Galactica is more a war/survival series set in a futuresque environment, rather than hardcore science-fiction in a war environment - the latter being what we tend to find in star trek and the likes.

---Very solid storyline---

The story is very solid. It is more a story of survival and war, that happens to take place in a futuristic environment, rather than than the hardcore science-fiction we find in Star Trek or Stargate. It's incorporation of supernatural aspects is unusual, but works very well in the entirety of the series. Now and then I had an episode that I found a little predictable, but this was rare, and even when it did occur, it was not really that deal-breaking, since it was always in the details.

---Amazing depth of character---

Being the only series I watched twice, still enjoying it the second time, this is one of my favorites. The cast does an amazing job, giving the characters incredible depth, without overdoing them to create typical television exaggerations. My favorite is Balthar - played amazingly well by James Callis4 - as he struggles with what he does and has done.

---Visually excellent---

When I say visually excellent, I am not just talking about CGI. The color and grain in the series is perfect, giving this aura of darkness and sadness. Watching the series the second time, I noticed how (almost) none of the shots were very stable, there is always a little movement on the camera. Even if you do not consciously notice this, it makes you feel much more part of the series, much closer to whats happening, as well as closer to the cast.

---Amazing Music---

The music was mainly composed by Bear McCreary, and he really delivered. The music fits beautifully with the color and feel of the series, feeling very primal, yet soft when needed. The soundtrack for the series is one of my favorites, and is part of what makes this series so good.

This is what all TV should be like. It is not one of the components - sound, image, character, story - that stands out in excellence, but it's the way they work together so well. The lack of very hard science-fiction allows people that don't even like science-fiction to really enjoy this piece of art. A must see. Joren
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jumped the Shark
mrohlee14 December 2008
The show started out as one of the greatest, best written shows I have seen. Some where along the way they either ran out of ideas or had a fear of success or something. The original concept, that the Cylons were fighting a genocidal war against humans was thrown out when it was revealed that several key humans were actually cylon sleeper agents. If they had been activated the war would have been over the first week. It was one of the changes that completely negated the earlier, excellent episodes. It was similar to when the movie Aliens 3 starts starts off with meaningless deaths of key characters from Aliens2 or when Brad Ratner had Xmen start killing each other off in Xmen3. These things are bad by themselves but also taint all the earlier episodes. How can you go back and enjoy the first seasons of the show knowing that most of the actions by key characters are lies and completely illogical since you now know they are cylons. A bitter, bitter, disappointment.
151 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horror fantasy drama.
neacorp2 April 2009
When they aren't fighting killer robots they fight themselves, but at least the writers showed nicely how people crack in a confined space after a disaster. As long as you try to not yell at the shaky camera you can still watch this.

I just finished watching the last episode and I was incredibly shocked: "That's it?!" Yes, a horrible drama with fantasies instead of science. Oh it started swell as Lost, but at the end of season 2 it got lamer and lamer. They should have had an idea how they would end it all from the start. The writers deserved none of the pay for what they scribbled for a script after the writers strike.

It rocketed awesomely of into deep space. A handful of ships with the last humans trying to find Earth while escaping killer robots. It was nice, it was intriguing, but then it went too far. Suddenly people started having visions how to find Earth and stuff. By the end fantasy magic overwhelmed science.

How do you find a killer android? Do you put a metal detector to its head and hear it go BING? No. You need blood samples that only one man can decode. So the androids aren't really androids, just humans with a wireless Internet connection who think they are robots.

In the end they took some lame stuff out of Star Trek. Lots of class M planets around. ENDLESS amount of fighters and bombers and like in Voyager they only build one from scratch. Same goes for troopers and pilots. I understand where you get volunteers, but where do you get the gear, guns, BULLETS and missiles?! Killer robots ALWAYS know where to find them. Stuff like this tends to come up often. I still can't believe they managed to cram 48000 people, a cat and a dog into that tiny fleet.

The drama mostly rotated around the elite of the fleet: admiral, president, friends and family. Neglecting saving the human race they were selfish to order suicide missions. They are so ignorant, selfish and dumb that I started hating them all so much I laughed when they found Earth to be a post-apocalyptic wasteland. What to do next? How about go looking for a neighboring habitable planet and settle down? No. We wait till a little girl gets stolen, and we send the last strike force to rescue her. More died in the process.

The end was baby sh**. Oh they eventually found the real Earth by randomly pushing buttons in a musical pattern. Ironically the planet was ONE jump away from a black hole and the main killer robot base. And Earth was inhabited by tribal humans who are our ancestors. And it turns out that all the pixies in Baltars and 6's heads were angels (or maybe demons). Starbuck was actually a ghost for an entire season. Boomer kept sabotaging stuff for 3 seasons but was redeemed in the end. And they sent all their ships into the sun for no sane reason. And the friendly killer robots who couldn't reproduce or think by themselves flew away to explore space. Yes, and I'm a toddler who likes these sort of stories.

Buy a tripod you maniacs! And never show this fantasy for a science again! I feel like I wasted several month of my life on this show. I never saw the original and I don't want to now.
100 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Open your mind and reap the rewards!!
polemistis-120 November 2004
As a long time fan of the original series of Battlestar Galactica I was apprehensive at best when I heard of the new 're-imagining'. However, I always like to keep an open mind and decide for myself, not take what the critics say as gospel!

I am very glad I do this!

The new series of Battlestar Galactica is excellent!! It's well directed, produced and acted. It's got a new depth and excitement to it. It's visually stunning, and has the ability to completely absorb the viewer into each episode. In short, it's a breath of fresh air!!

I beg other fans of the original series to give it a chance. Okay, so Starbuck and Boomer are women, so what!?! The new Cylons are cool, the ships are fantastic, the characters are wonderful, the relationships are very interesting and, as it's basis is the original story line, there's an oddly comforting familiarity there too. Anyone with doubts should give it a go. It won't disappoint!
479 out of 941 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I dare to call this turd a turd!
rock_slabfist26 January 2005
From the channel that brought you MEGALADON 3, BOAS, PYTHONS and LARVA, comes another all-too-successful attempt at wringing the intellect out of Science Fiction. BSG: The New Series.

This series is a stinky turd sitting in the bottom of the SciFi Channel commode and no matter how many people call it a rose, it STILL STINKS LIKE A TURD.

That being said, I will now give my detailed reasons WHY this show stinks.

Gender Changes: Change gender of characters to promote sexual tension. What OTHER reason could there possibly be to make Starbuck and Boomer female ? Moore is already taking advantage of the Apollo/Starbuck relationship and the Boomer/Chief one. So, what has Moore GAINED here...only an easy plot device. This is known in writing circles as being a HACK! What other reasons are there for changing the sexes? Someone PLEASE tell me how Starbuck's female side has manifested itself in anything OTHER than a sexual manner. You can't!

Cylons look human. How convenient for him. Now you can cast people as villains without having to actually DO any of the hard work associated with alien/robotic races. The Original Star Trek did a fine job on it's budget...and in a time when a show like "Sliders" can feature a T-Rex, surely the creators of this incarnation of BSG could pony up the dough for non-human characters. Well apparently NOT! Of course, non-humans are MUCH harder to write for, so again we see the HACK being displayed.

Blair Witch Camera Work. Well, well well. What can you hide with shoddy camera work? A WHOLE LOT. The cinema verite style has been done to death! If you're gonna use it, make sure there's a reason. There is no reason here that I can discern than to give this junk a pseudo-realistic feel. If you WRITE and ACT WELL, you don't NEED jerky camera movement to distract viewers. After all, that's what the hand held shots do, your brain is busy trying to make sense of what it is seeing and you are NOT concentrating on the story. Moore knows that if you were, you would be disappointed. Flashy camera work of SPX does NOT compensate for poor writing. Just ask George Lucas.

Poor Writing. Tigh says "JESUS" in the miniseries. That little slip up pretty much RUINED the entire continuity for me. So Tigh's heard of Jesus, has he? Well then, he's probably heard most of the old testament too, Moses, Noah...etc. Funny that there's no further mention of such a shared religion, especially when the colonials' world is coming to an end, surely the time to invoke a higher being if ever there was one?

In the miniseries, 6 kills an infant before the cylon attack. Now, this is not the SMARTEST thing to do. Sort of like if the sailors aboard the midget Japanese subs off Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th started shooting children on the beach. It just didn't make any sense, other than to show how evil the cylons are...they killed a baby!

In "Water" Helo and Boomer LIGHT A FIRE when they are trying to avoid detection from the cylons. Call me silly, but this is just PLAIN DUMB! Why not shoot up a flare to let the cylons know where you are? And of course, there are no ramifications for their STUPIDITY!

And in my opinion, the best example of the HORRIBLE writing on this show is how the Chief will protect and LIE for Boomer, even though she is the most likely candidate for sabotaging the water supply. Now call me silly, but if I suspected my girlfriend may be trying (even unconsciously) to doom me and my WHOLE RACE to death, I say or DO something about it. Even to protect HER. Covering up her possible involvement is just not an option when the WHOLE HUMAN RACE IS AT STAKE. This are just a few of the more GLARING examples of the LACK OF THOUGHT that went into this series.

To those who say that I should just watch the old show and let them watch this one, I say, Where it NOT for people like me who watched and LIKED the old show, THIS show would NOT be here. It was TOS that kept interest alive in BSG. If you like this show, in my opinion you would like just about ANYTHING that has a SF stamp on it. Just look at the revenues for Phantom Menace...made millions and it was a lousy movie when compared to the earlier films.

No remake has been better than the original. This show is no exception. I will no longer watch it. I'm tired of having my intelligence insulted. Maybe SciFi can redeem itself by doing a Space:Above and Beyond miniseries (much better written...much better acted, much better SPX and camera work) and pick up where the series left off. They had better think about it...cause I sure as hell aren't tuning into their stellar programming schedule as much as I used to. Oh, maybe that's why Moore SEXED up BSG...to get ratings.
665 out of 1,320 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler the best show i have seen in a long time Warning: Spoilers
I tried to resist watching this show for a long time, primarily because I am a very big fan of the original show, and I thought that it would be cheating on its memory. The second reason was whenever I asked someone about the show, the answer I got was closer to this " so Starbuck is a bad-ass bitch, and Boomer is a cylon Asian Chick and Apollo is actually called Lee, and Apollo and starbuck have the hots for each other and they are doing it. The first thing that would pop in my mind is a "re- imagined" twisted cheap porn version of Battlestar Galactica. Until one day I was reading this article about the best Sci-Fi shows of all time and I think this show was voted as the best. And then it hit me, I love Lost , but it is a show about a smoke monster and his immortal brother who trapped people on an island, but it is really more than that.

Then I borrowed the 4 seasons and the miniseries from a friend and I watched it all back to back and god was I in for a surprise, I hated it , and loved it and then hated it and loved it even more. I loved the characters they crawled under my skin, they were real and flawed, emotional and fraked . It was sad, but beautiful. The dialogue was not as witty as Firefly but it was deep and profound. it was political and serious and it reflected all our problems here on earth in a very smart way. I am still in awe. whenever I think about this show I get goosebumps.

And then I discovered that it was not at all a remake of the old show, they are 2 different shows, with very little in common and I can love them both. However, the new show has honestly become one of my all time favorite shows. Even though I was not a fan of the ending, I thought it was a very harsh ending, I think at one point I felt that all this greenery on the planet was going to suffocate me. I also felt so bad for Apollo who lost everyone close to him and had to live life alone on a new planet. Moreover, i did not like the fact that the strive of the colonials and the 4 years they spent looking for a new home was lost and not remembered by their grandchildren.

I am not enthusiastic about starting Caprica but I will also give it a try, who knows it might turn out to be just as good.
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Climbing on the shoulders of others.
warren-19767 December 2006
The fans of this show, like to use the excuse that the negative reviews are only from un-reasoning fans of the original, who don't like the new version. So let's look at it objectively, regardless of the original.

What are the positives about the new Galactica? 1 - It's gritty, and feels realistic (atmospherically) 2 - The production quality is top-notch 3 - Imperfect characters with personal conflicts

And what are its failings? 1 - The gritty and realistic approach is so forced, as to negate its positive effects. Shaky camera work has its place, but this is one of those shows that tries so hard to use the technique, it makes NYPD look like it was shot with a tripod. Over compensation. It's as though the film makers are embarrassed to be making Science Fiction, and try their hardest to hide the fact. 2 - The production quality IS top-notch, but so were the new Star Wars films, and I think most people would agree, they weren't anywhere near what they could've been. 3 - The characters are SO imperfect, that they become unrealistic caricatures, and the viewer loses any sympathy whatsoever for the leads. Also, not ALL humans are selfish, self-absorbed nihilists. If this show wanted to be realistic, at least SOME of the characters WOULD be good people (Who can still make the odd mistake).

Many of the fans claim this is superior television, because "it isn't scifi, it's drama". They show a complete lack of knowledge for the genre they are criticising. Their view of SF is probably dictated by a few old Star Trek:TNG episodes they saw as youngsters. "It's all about bug-eyed monsters, and men with pointy ears". The truth is, most television Science Fiction is easily accessible, because it has to appeal to the masses, but all good science fiction is dramatic, thought provoking, challenging stuff that goes beyond our pre-conceptions. It makes us THINK.

Yet the new Galactica does its best never to challenge the viewer. You will never have a plot that couldn't be directly transplanted to a soap-opera, or political/military drama. In fact, it doesn't even try to disguise this, but simply lifts its plots from the latest headlines. (Why write something thought provoking and original, when you can appear daring and cutting edge, by just watching the news for your plots?)

They are right when they say this isn't science fiction, but what they don't understand, is that it isn't a good thing.
331 out of 644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who cares if Humans are good or Cylons are bad if the plot sucks vacuum?
tfc6 February 2005
Alas, after reading the comments, most users believe the new Battlestar Galactica (BSG) is fantastic and riveting, I must have missed something. Having seen almost every episodes of the new BSG series, I have come to the following conclusion. The new BSG has been re-imaged and reinterpreted so radically from the old BSG that it is mostly futile to debate which series is better or worse. The new BSG will stand on its own merits and we should totally ignore the old BSG. That being said, what do I think about the new BSG? It is a nice scifi show. It's not great, it's not bad, it's just . . . nice. There are some nice computer FX of battles, Space ships, robots, and scenes. There is just enough action, angst, "love", humor, death, and misery in each episode. The actors are doing a nice job with the materials given. The story plots are nice scifi formulas with scifi type words added to the nice dialog. The humans are nice and the Cylons are nice. Oh, how nice. Another hour of my life, gone.

To be blunt; each new BSG episode to date is like big servings of meatloaf plots (with bits of FX bell peppers added) selected from the vast smorgasbord of scifi. Scifi with little thought or plot. Scifi lite. This belief comes from several items I have noticed since the beginning. The main one is, in the attempt to make the new BSG a very human, realistic, gritty, and "adult" (i.e. sex/language) story, I now could care less about the antihero characters personal problems, their quirks or their dismal fate. In an attempt to make the Cylons more mysterious, insidious, and enigmatic (yet some how threatening), they are tedious at best. If the new BSG sets become any more low tech, bleak and grey, the new BSG might as well start filming indoor scenes in an old steel mill and save some money. In the fight between the Human and Cylons, I would cheer for a double kill and, if the Cylons won, oh well. This laissez-faire attitude comes from BSG's general lack of a interesting or defined good vs. evil struggle. It is my opinion that virtue and morals are best shown when contrasted against their opposites. The greater the evil, the more an average person seems heroic (i.e. Lord of the Rings). This may seem simplistic but, it's the bad guys who make the story. Having antihero types fighting former pleasure robots who found God and want laid, does not inspire heroic epics but apathy. I wonder, what if we are really suppose to like the Cylons? And, humans are really the bad guys? Going out on a limb, I bet the God of the Cylons is some big omniscient mainframe. Nevertheless, if this series happens to come near a point, or plot, could someone let us know. In the future, I hope this show succeeds in proving me wrong and I need to recant my words.

If I had a wish list to improve the new BSG:

Commander Adama: lighten up, crack a smile, and get a dog for a friend rather than Tigh. Read a "Book." President Roslin: Enjoy your power, delegate your light work, leave Adama alone for five seconds and get a new doctor with some modern equipment. Starbuck: Relax, take a bubble bath, we know you're tough. Quit trying to out drink Tigh, out do Number Six, and out fly Apollo. Apollo: Nothing really comes to mind. Baltar: Stop letting Number Six play with your slide rule and get to work you sissy! Number Six: Stop being a fashion model, leave Baltar's naughty bits alone, and be an evil Cylon. Boomer: Stop pouting and get a life outside the hanger. Col. Tigh: When all the booze runs out and you stop being salty, go find God, the Cylons did. Cylons: Show me the money! If you Cylons have evolved, prove it. So far there seems to be enough Cylons to fill a bus and there are only a few Basestars. CG FX can do multiples robots and basestars at little or no extra cost. Cylon/Human babies, I hope this idea does not die in the crib (ha-ha). Writers: Tell me a entertaining SCIENCE FICTION "what if" story. Not some revamped soap opera that happens to take place in space with special effects, CG, and strange words tossed in as an after thought. Show some color, get rid of the ties, do not over use "frak" or off the shelf technology. Every time you try to cut corners, it shows.
597 out of 1,189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5 reasons why the new Battlestar Galactica stinks
moviefan6918 January 2005
1. Making the Cylons human in appearance. Oh sure they show the robots. But making them creations of man, and showing them AS human is cheese. 2. Making Starbuck a girl. Sorry, but having this tough as nails, butch chick is laughable. Not only is is a bad idea, but the actress is terrible. Makes a bad idea worse. 3. Giving the characters "earth" names. Giving them names like William and Lee and making the original Galactica names call signs, makes this seem more like Star Trek. Like the culture is earth bound. Even the clothes that civilians wear in this thing look like they were picked off the rack at JCPenney 4. The spaceships firing bullets and missiles instead of lasers. Now we've sunk to the level of Wing Commander. That's pretty sad. 5. The show is absolutely NO FUN!!!! It subscribes to the current theory that all sci-fi has to be a deadly serious drama. This is fantasy! Lighten up! The original was light hearted, escapist, and adventurous. Like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, every kid wanted to be Apollo and Starbuck. It was wondrous. It was exciting. It had a sense of adventure with heroic figures fighting against evil. This new version with it's heavy handed drama, slow operatic music, overwrought dialog, and uninspired battle scenes, make this no fun to watch at all. In fact it's depressing. Give me the 70's version any day of the week. It's fun to watch, and that's why it endures to this day. $5 says that NO ONE will be watching this drivel 20 years from now.
583 out of 1,166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In a word: Hideous
gregmasters16 January 2005
What were they thinking?! The mini-series looked terrible and I was expecting at least some semblance of effort to make the series at least look acceptable. But of course not! Why spoil the SciFi Channel reputation for cheap and cheesy entertainment.

I keep hearing about the SciFi Channel wanting to attract talent and produce great shows and movies... If they're serious about it, they should cancel this sad excuse for a show.

What's with the herky-jerky stuff and the hideous "photography"? The whole thing looks like it was shot with a camcorder at the local amateur theater.

It makes you really sad for Eddie Olmos and Mary McDonnell that they can't find a job in a decent show and have to be surrounded with amateur cameramen and dead-eyed models pretending they're acting.

By the way, anyone else notice the number of people claiming to like the show who use the made-up expression "re-imagineering"? Makes you wonder where they all got the press kit.
568 out of 1,139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remake of the 70's classic but fails badly.
thegurujames16 June 2006
I may be looked as harsh, but other than idea of invading alien race and similar named characters, Battle Star is terrible to watch.

The acting is poor and story lines bland and looks something Canada chucked out.

If you ever saw Airwolf and then the remakes with Canadian actors you will see what I mean.

If you scrap the title, change the characters names, you still have a human race running away from Cylon aliens and even this can work, BSG fails badly.

Crossing a soap with sci-fi can work but again its just terrible to watch.

Some of you may like it and it is still being shown in the U.K. but I would love to see viewer ratings.

Terrible Terrible. It's not if it is too on budget, maybe new script writers and directors.

Remember how Deep Space Nice started with blandness but pulled in new teams to recover it, well maybe they should try but it could be too late already.

If you think it's great please tell me why.
548 out of 1,099 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The new Battlestar Galactica is a stunning drama that surpasses the original 70's cheese.
tony-goodwin6 February 2005
The two Battlestar Galactica series both begin in the same way with similar precepts – the end of a civilisation and the possible extinction of the human species.

The original chose to be lightweight in dealing with this underlying theme (the first thing they do post-apocalypse is go to a party planet) - the new series actually attempts to deal with the issue in an adult manner.

The writing, direction, and most importantly the acting, is superb - each combining to create emotional depth.

As a teen I enjoyed the original but (sorry to get Biblical) "when I was a child I spoke as a child, I acted as a child – now I must put childish things behind me".

The sex of the characters does not offend – it does not cause grief to find two key characters to be stunningly female. It doesn't even offend that a potential bad guy has a British accent.

Just enjoy. Drama really doesn't get much better than this.
478 out of 956 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.