The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) Poster

a healthy reminder that sex jokes can be well crafted; Carrell is genius
Quinoa198421 August 2005
Something about the 40 Year Old Virgin and the other comedy hit of the summer, Wedding Crashers, is similar, but they are two different films in some respects. Both are romantic comedies that have that kind of over-the-top, crazy sensibility that keeps the teens and guys in their 20's along with the usual dating crowd to go see the films. Both have some sort of formula to the stories as well. But by the end of the 40 Year Old Virgin, I think I found overall it was more satisfying than 'Crashers'. Although one can guess where the relationship story with Steve Carrell's character Andy and Catherine Keener's character Trish will go to, it isn't too basic for one to figure out like with Crashers, and the characters both leading and supporting are realistic, more rounded than most of the one-dimensional or unexplained people in the other. And, perhaps, it may also depend on how much you identify (or just find the lunacy) in both.

The thing is some people may go into The 40 Year Old Virgin not knowing Steve Carrell as well as Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn, as Carrell has built up his cult status on The Daily Show (one of my favorite shows on now) and in small but unforgettably riotous roles in Anchorman and Bruce Almighty. This is his first starring role, but it's not treated like some third rate vehicle. He and co-writer/director Judd Apatow treat the character of Andy with a certain level of sincerity that keeps the audience on his side all the way, even early on as he talks to his action figures while re-painting them. It's also a tricky line to walk on- in lessor hands this could be no more or less entertaining than the Lackluster 40 Days and 40 Nights with Josh Hartnett (also about sexual dysfunction). As the title suggests, Andy is the 40 year old who is like the nice guy friend with still a little Pee-Wee Herman in him (the opening over the credits of his his apartment is hilarious, a good sign).

So, his friends (among them Paul Rudd, Romany Mancoy, Seth Rogen, all very good comic foils) try and devise different strategies and tips to finally break the sort of curse over Andy's head to pop his cherry, so to speak. He almost gets with a overly drunk woman, he almost gets with a freaky kind of girl, and almost with his own boss (Jane Lynch, also very funny in the mockumentaries) as a (explitive) buddy. But this soon all starts to fade as he gets into a meaningful relationship with Trish, who works across the street from him. As they build on a relationship not based at all on sex, one might worry that the plot gear of "how is he going to tell her such and such" might get in the way of the comedy. It doesn't. In fact, if anything, Carrell and the cast build on it to a very high degree. For practically an hour and a half of the film's two hour length, there was barely a moment I wasn't laughing, whether big or small.

The big laughs though make up for not just any kind of formalities with the plot, or one or two little stray stories (the fellow co-workers have their own relationship problems as well, Rudd's being the funniest). The big laughs come through because of Carrell's reactions, and that the people around him can either back up with their own sort of humor/charm, or that its with some truth. Keener gives a very good performance and makes it so that there is a genuine spirit to their relationship (and, un-like 'Crashers', there isn't as much that doesn't make sense character wise). For someone like me who loves it when a comedian can get laughs just from the way he looks on his face, Carrell gets very high points here. And like with a Farrelly brothers movie, the more raunchy or outrageous scenes are done with total absurdity; the 'waxing' scene (which was done for real, by the way) and the sort of Aquarius musical number towards the very end of the film (the way it comes out at first is a total, uproarious surprise). But if you're willing not to get offended by it, there's more where that came from. This is one of the funniest films of the year.
123 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
40 Year-Old Virgin: There Is A First Time for Everything.....!
KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
From PASTO, COLOMBIA-Via: L. A. CA; CALI, COLOMBIA+ORLANDO, FL ---------------- The ONLY Tony Kiss Castillo on FaceBook! ---------------

As often occurs in Hollywood, Movies are made where the main idea seems to be so good, so foolproof, that you react by saying, "Damn, what a hell of a great premise for a movie! No WAY they can screw THAT up!" Unfortunately, where there's a will, there's a Way, and, consequently, sometimes even the best of concepts results in a five-alarm disastrous of a film... Thank God that, The 40 Year Old Virgin, is a case of "The Exception Proves the Rule!" And this, despite the fact that Universal seemed to do just about everything possible to spoil Virgin, it is definitely worth watching, at least once!

In the title role we have the comedy sensation of recent years, Steve Carell, who entered the Comedy Stratosphere with Bruce Almighty. (Where Mr. Carell was Jim Carey's TV weatherman competition. Remember that now famous scene where Carell's character is trying to break some important news, but all he can manage to get out is a series of weird grunts, groans and assorted sounds!)

It seems that, Carrell, who really WAS around 40 at the time ALMIGHTY was made, attained great comic success relatively late in life... But, of course, much better late..! One of Virgin's excesses is that every time the film reaches a rather difficult stretch, it appears that Director, Tom Shadyac (Liar, Liar) places too much responsibility on the shoulders of his leading man, who, despite his great and varied talents, sometimes can't help showing just how much of a struggle it is to carry the film forward.

Another example where VIRGIN is a bit over-the-top, regards the unrelenting profanity in the dialog! If any of you non-native speakers out there were not familiar with some of these words in English, during each viewing, you'll get to practice them at least a hundred times! At some point, it just stops being funny for everyone in the audience. Also, there is simply too much information about too many sexual acts and other kinky incidentals that might have provoked laughter the first, second, or even a bit the third time, but with the umpteenth reference ends up being downright nauseating.

With a run-time of nearly two hours, I think that Virgin would have been even more enjoyable with at least 5 to 10 minutes of strategic editing. But, despite the flaws mentioned here, there are a number of scenes that produce industrial-size laughter, which readily justify the time you invest watching! Also, Virgin demonstrates more than enough originality, both in general concept and in how it has been brought to the screen.

It is well worth mentioning co-star, Catherine Keener (The Interpreter, Being John Malkovich), certainly, a very underrated actress in Hollywood. She plays the competition for love interest to perfection, giving the film a much needed touch of realism and credibility. So here is an interesting and fun film that will probably feel good to both men and women alike! There is almost nothing visually graphic in Virgin, but because of its non-stop hardcore locker room language, I would recommend it for those at least 15, or over, in your family.

No matter if you lost yours at 12 or at 40 or even if you still are...Virgin makes us ALL laugh about an integral component of the human condition, one with which each and every one of us can probably relate to!

7*.... ENJOY!/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English o en Español, are welcome!
33 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breakout film for Carell
ivko26 August 2005
Steve Carell has made a career out of portraying the slightly odd straight guy, first on 'The Daily Show', and then in various supporting roles. In Virgin, Carell has found a clever and hilarious script that perfectly capitalizes on his strengths. Carell plays Andy Stitzer, a middle aged man living a quiet, lonely life. Andy is a little odd, but in an awkward nice guy sort of way. One night, while socializing with his co-workers for the first time, Andy accidentally reveals that he is a virgin. His co-workers, David (Paul Rudd), Jay (Romany Malco), and Cal (Seth Rogen) initially tease Andy about his situation. But it's clear that all three have a certain respect for the decent human being that Andy is, and they resolve to help him out by assisting him in ending his virginity. And so begins Andy's quest into adulthood. Andy is the quintessential innocent, and the bulk of the humor derives from his naiveté to the situations he finds himself in throughout the film. Some of the humor is crude gross out stuff, but most of it is just well done intelligent comedy. In addition, I found some parts of the film actually pretty touching as Andy finds himself developing both romantic relationships and friendships perhaps for the first time in his life. I'm not trying to portray the movie as a love story or a drama; it's a rolling in your seats comedy. Still, every good comedy I have ever seen contains enough heart for you to care about the characters. A good comparison would be 'The Wedding Crashers' from earlier this summer. Virgin has a similar humor, but is perhaps a bit more vulgar in some of its jokes. I particularly loved the ending of the film, which I thought was a perfect way to end the flick. Without giving anything away, it reminded me of 'Something About Mary'. Very light and fun; it leaves you laughing and smiling, which is exactly how you should feel when you finish a comedy. I would highly recommend.
166 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
love, actually
pookey5615 December 2005
this is one of the funnier films i've seen. it had it's crude moments, but they were full of charm. it's Altmanesque screenplay, brilliant physical humour, and relaxed friendships were a pleasure to watch, and a slice of life most of us can relate to. and i can say with a measure of honesty that i was afraid for Steve Carell's nipple..i truly was. surprisingly, this is a good-natured, unabashed comedy that is essentially about love, and the many relationships we may find ourselves in along the way. Catherine Keener was terrific as Trish, and all of Steve Carell's friends were flawed but amiable, and so much fun. the idea that they suspected that Carell was a serial killer is a hilarious metaphor for a forty-year old virgin. but the simple truth was that he wanted to be in love first. original, charming, and very funny. highly recommended.
78 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The funniest comedy since "THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY" ; Steve Carell is a comic genius - the year's funniest film!
george.schmidt22 August 2005
THE 40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN (2005) **** Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Paul Rudd, Romany Malco, Seth Rogen, Elizabeth Banks, Leslie Mann, Jane Lynch, Gerry Bednob, Shelley Malil, Kat Dennings. Hysterically funny high-concept comedy about the titular Andy Stitzer (wonderfully played by perennial second banana Carell in a truly extraordinarily comic breakthrough performance sure to stratosphere him to the A-list), a tech services rep for an electronics store in Southern California who is found out about his secretive identity by a trio of well-meaning yet entirely clueless womanizing co-worker buddies (Rudd, Malco & Rogen, each one degree funnier than the next) determined to get their friend deflowered no matter the cost. What follows is an unlikely yet very warm-hearted romance with a vivacious mother (the marvelous Keener having lots of fun here) leading to add more fuel to the fires within Andy. A surprisingly good-spirited and unapologetically raunchy romantic comedy; the funniest since "There's Something About Mary" with a shrewdly observant script by director Judd Apatow and Carell that features some astoundingly gut-busting sequences including a scathingly accurate David Caruso joke, homophobic debunking ribbing, send-ups of 'date-a-paloozas' and demystifying the war of the sexes with cheeky aplomb. A true winner and an instant classic; the funniest film of the year.
72 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's about time a really funny movie came along!
LivinForMovies30 July 2005
I haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time. I got to go to an advance screening, and was thrilled because I had been dying to see it. I had tears in my eyes from laughter throughout a lot of the movie. The audience all shared my laughter, and was clapping and yelling throughout most of the movie.

Kudos to Steve Carrell(who I had already been a fan of). He proves in this movie his tremendous talent for comedy. He has a style that I haven't seen before. And Catherine Keener is excellent as always. Thank God there wasn't a cameo from Will Ferrell(love him, but saw him too much this summer).

There were parts of comedic genius in this movie. Partly thanks to Carrell, and partly thanks to the writing(also Carrell). The waxing scene and the speed dater with the "obvious problem" were absolutely hysterical.

I will definitely go see '40 Year Old Virgin' when it's released. My advice: go to see it for huge laughs and an incredibly enjoyable movie on top of it.
223 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliance...40 years in the making!
SeminolePhenom21 August 2005
Andy Stitzer(Steve Carell) is a 40 year old virgin who is pushed by his friend to lose his virginity. During this crusade, Andy meets many women, but one woman named Trish(Catherine Keener) catches his eye more than the others.

Steve Carell shows us to be an absolute genius. His role is perfect for him and just plain "makes" the movie. The movie exceeded all expectations I could have had. The acting was great, the writing was wonderful, and the comedy could not have been any funnier for what it was. If you have seen The Office or Anchorman you would know how Steve Carell steals the show and this movie proves it more than ever. Overall, the movie is just fantastic and is the second best comedy of the year, falling short only of Wedding Crashers.

I highly recommend this movie.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet romance buried underneath "Man Show" style humor
AlsExGal23 March 2021
If you liked "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" you will love this movie. In fact, it rejoins a couple of the supporting cast of that film, starring Steve Carrell, who played "Brick" who, in my opinion, stole that show with his clueless stares and inane ramblings. In this film, Andy, the 40-year-old virgin, gets a lot of unwanted help from his male coworkers, who are all so completely dysfunctional that they really don't have any business trying to repair anyone else's private life. The fact that Andy also still rides a bicycle and is chided by his coworkers for that, too, just seems to emphasize that modern society has turned virginity into a stigma similar to not being able to pass a driving test.

Instead of wanting to lose his virginity, though, what Andy really wants is a relationship with the nice woman running a store across the street from where he works. His virginity is just a byproduct of him not finding a good relationship with a woman yet. The resulting story is actually a rather sweet romance buried underneath all of the Man Show style humor. It carries a rare message in modern film - that chastity before marriage is not a bad thing, and that everybody is running on their own schedule.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Prepare to blush as much as you laugh
TheMovieMark18 August 2005
All right, here's the deal: if you're easily offended then you might want to stay far, far away from this one. There are some painfully funny moments in the movie, but I probably blushed about as much as I laughed. Actually, I probably blushed MORE than I laughed. And if I wasn't literally blushing on the outside, then I was blushing on the inside. If there is absolutely nothing in this movie that embarrasses you then you simply have no shame. Whether that's a badge of honor or not is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

I will not deny that I laughed quite a bit, but this is a movie that I simply cannot give a blanket recommendation due to its subject matter. If I were to say, "This movie is hilarious, go check it out!" and some sweet, little old church-going lady heads to the theater and has a heart-attack during one of the graphically explicit sex situations, well, that's just something I don't need on my conscience.

So how raunchy is it? Hmm, try about 100 times worse than The Wedding Crashers. Honestly. My mom would've walked out during the first scene. I feel it's my duty to at least warn you of what to expect.

There is some cleverly intelligent comedy here, but that's what I come to expect from the man (Judd Apatow) who had a hand in both Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. I'm all for making fun of Michael McDonald; the only man whose hair and beard are white enough to give Kenny Rogers a run for his money. Paul Rudd proclaiming, "If I hear Ya Mo Be There one more time I'll Ya Mo burn this place down," is hilarious, but it's one of those things that the majority of the audience won't appreciate.

And when we see a quick 3-second flashback of Steve Carrell singing along to Cameo's Word Up, I laughed for a good two minutes after the joke was over, whereas most everybody chuckled and then forgot about it.

Strangely enough, despite the raunch, there's an admirable moral to the story. The movie doesn't portray Carrell as some freaky loser just because he's a virgin. He's really portrayed as a likable, admirable character. Sure, he's a little weird. After all, he has a framed Asia poster, "more videogames than an Asian kid," and a toy collection that features the Million Dollar Man's BOSS, but we're never led to believe that there's actually anything wrong with the fact that he's a virgin. As odd as it may seem, there's a bit of an "it's OK to wait" message.

But man, oh man, please be warned that this pushes its R rating about as far as it can go. That was certainly Apatow's intention. According to him, he just let some of the guys (particularly Rogen and Malco) improv and talk the way they normally talk, all in an effort to find lots of new ways to be dirty. If you can handle that or talk that way yourself, then you'll love the movie.

I'm not a big fan of excessive profanity and sex jokes. I find that subtle, clever humor is much more entertaining than about 200 uses of the f-word or fratboy sex discussions. But that's me. Like I said, there are some absolutely hysterical moments here, but you have to ask yourself if they're worth sitting through one of the most vulgar movies you're likely to ever see at the theater. I just don't know how interested most women will be in what's discussed by men while playing poker. Honestly ladies, you might not want to know. If you've ever been curious why some girls think guys are gross, well, this gives you a good idea.

There you go - my humble, honest take on what to expect. Be that your guide. It definitely should not be seen with your Sunday School class, mama, grandmama, any family members of the opposite sex, children of any age, or anybody who is easily offended by excessive profanity or explicit sex discussion. If you'd see it with any of the above then you apparently do not have any concept of what it means to be uncomfortable.
172 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very funny film that really showcases Carell's talent
nmeaton_727 July 2005
Just came out of a sneak preview for this film. It had me laughing every 30 secs. The ending was so funny that tears were rolling down my face and it had me wishing I hadn't bought that large coke. There are definitely some lulls, but, overall, highly entertaining. The movie lets Steve Carell have a chance to shine after stealing the spotlight from both Jim Carrey in "Bruce Almighty" and Will Ferrell "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgendy" in their movies. Paul Rudd is hilarious as always. I love that he can be so funny in these broad comedies and continues to work in indie dramas (like P.S.). I think that Seth Rogen should be getting more work, because he so freaking talented and engaging. Leslie Mann also had some incredibly funny moments. I highly recommend it for those who just want to laugh like a maniac. However, if you're easily offended, don't see this movie. If you're a rabid feminist, don't see this movie. And, please, not matter what, even if you think you're one of those "hip" parents, don't take your kids to this movie. Sure, you should let your teens go see this movie, just don't watch it with them. It would make for some incredibly awkward moments.
263 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raunchy and heartfelt in equal measure!
AhmedSpielberg9928 March 2019
It may feel overlong, sketchy, and familiar; but all this actually because of one single flaw, which is that the movie completely delivered itself to its message. Don't get me wrong, the message of the movie is one of its best merits (it's well-conveyed, and it makes the movie stand out from the rest of raunchy comedies). But when the plot ends up being completely driven by the moral of the story, you know that there is something wrong here. A lot of monotonous, stretched story-lines, and repetitive jokes made the movie feels as if it has overstayed its welcome. And I kept always wondering why a movie that felt so fresh and genuine, and also has a lot to say (considering its remaining running time and the almost flawless, extremely hilarious and intriguing first act and half of the second). I think I found the answer as the third act kicked off, which is to keep stretching the movie as much as it could until it reach the denouement, and hence delivers its message at the end. It ends up being pretty much a run-of-the-mill rom-com.

However, The 40-Year-Old Virgin completely deserves the cult status it has achieved. First and foremost, Judd Apatow pulled off a something seemingly impossible: a combination of a crude, gross-out comedy and a heartfelt, tender romantic comedy. While these two sub-genres didn't mix very well with each other, glimpses of each of both have managed to be consistent throughout the entire movie. That's largely due to the likable and unbelievably relatable protagonist, Andy, brought to life by an outstanding, star-making performance by Steve Carell, who revealed his massive talent, showing an impressive range he would latter become famous for.

All the secondary characters here have a reasonable depth that prove how this movie is really different from your typical gross-out comedy. They may be stereotypical after all, but the witty rude humor that came from them added an extra, and maybe interestingly contradictory, layer to all of them. I think all the performances are great, but Paul Rudd really stole the show.

Also the movie features a young Jonah Hill in a very funny cameo. I mean, what more could you ask for?

(7.5/10)
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully funny
SnoopyStyle25 December 2014
Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) is hopelessly single at 40 working as a tech guy at an electronic store. He has no game with the ladies and no experience with sex. His co-workers David (Paul Rudd), Cal (Seth Rogen), and Jay (Romany Malco) reluctantly asks him to join their poker game. During the game, Andy let slip that he has never had sex. The guys make fun of him but then vows to get him laid. They give contradictory and generally bad advise. At a club, he goes home with Nicky (Leslie Mann) who is crazy drunk. Trish (Catherine Keener) comes into the store to buy a VCR. She has a storefront across the street selling other people's stuff on Ebay. Marla (Kat Dennings) is one of her kids. Cal tells him to keep asking questions to be mysterious and that works on bookstore clerk Beth (Elizabeth Banks).

There are a lot of awkward hilarity coming from this Judd Apatow comedy. Steve Carell especially with that haircut is perfect for the role. There is nothing more painfully funny than Kelly Clarkson. At its heart, Carell is an adorable dork. The other guys are almost as ridiculous. That is why this works so well. There are so many great comedians working with such a funny idea.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best comedy I've seen in years
howismyfish22 August 2005
Steve Carell comes into his own in his first starring role in the 40 Year Old Virgin, having only had supporting roles in such films as Bewitched, Bruce Almighty, Anchorman, and his work on the Daily Show, we had only gotten a small taste of the comedy that Carell truly makes his own. You can tell that Will Ferrell influenced his "comedic air" but Carell takes it to another level, everything he does is innocent, lovable, and hilarious. I would not hesitate to say that Steve Carell is one of the next great comedians of our time.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is two hours of non-stop laughs (or 4 hours if you see it twice like I did), a perfect supporting cast and great leads charm the audience through the entire movie. The script was perfect with so many great lines that you will want to see the movie again just to try to remember them all. The music fit the tone of the movie great, and you can tell the director knew what he was doing.

Filled with sex jokes, some nudity, and a lot of language, this movie isn't for everyone but if you liked the Wedding Crashers, Anchorman, or any movie along those lines, you will absolutely love The 40 Year Old Virgin.
117 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Modern Definition of "Serious Comedy"
metalrules316 July 2008
I'm not quite sure if the term "serious comedy" applies to this movie, Im not even sure if this can be applied. On the last few years movie theaters have become filled with comedy movies which are way too stupid to even make us grin. Therefore, I considered the movies which do not fill these requirements as "serious comedies".

Does The 40 Year Old Virgin fit into this guild? That is finally up to you, but in my opinion, this is a very funny movie. You get to laugh a lot, plus it delivers a social commentary through some really great characters and situations.

I'm pretty there is more than one 40 year old virgin out there, and even the people whom do not exactly fit this specifications, may feel identified by one of the characters in the movie, especially men.

The story, as the title says it, is about Andy, a shy, silent guy, whom collects action figures, watches Survivor with his octogenarian neighbors and whose favorite band is Asia.

Kal is Andy's co-worker at SmartTech. He believes Andy to be a psychopath until Andy's secret is revealed. Kal is clearly a sexual pervert but yet he seems to get what he wants with the opposite genre.

David is the passionate guy who is still in love with his ex-girlfriend, whom ran away with another guy. And Jay, a man in a relationship which seems to be affected by his continuous cheating and getting caught acts.

I'm pretty sure most youngsters from 13 to 21 have already watched this film, but it really does not have an age limit to be able to enjoy it. So in case you haven't seen it and will enjoy a little laugh, with social commentary, than go to your video store and rest from those deep and depressing independent films.

It also includes DVD bonuses which you'll really see from top to bottom.
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute, crude, charming, nasty, hilarious, and more......
dhair5917 August 2005
I got a free pass to a preview of this movie last night and didn't know what to expect. The premise seemed silly and I assumed it would be a lot of shallow make-fun-of-the-virgin humor. What a great surprise. I laughed so hard I cried at some of the jokes. This film is a must see for anyone with an open mind and a slightly twisted sense of humor. OK.....this is not a movie to go to with your grandmother (Jack Palance?) or small children. The language is filthy, the jokes are (very) crude, and the sex talk is about as graphic as you'll find anywhere. What's amazing, however, is that the movie is still a sweet love story. My girlfriend and I both loved it. Steve Carell is terrific, but (like The Office) the supporting cast really makes the film work. All of the characters have their flaws, but they also have depth and likability. Everyone pulls their weight and the chemistry is perfect. I can't wait to get the DVD. I'm sure it will be up there with Office Space for replays and quotable lines.
139 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He he
bevo-1367831 March 2020
I like the bit where he is 40 years old and still a virgin
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Legend has it the Michael McDonald DVD is still playing
andrewburgereviews30 May 2019
Here we have yet another first-world comedy from the king of first-world comedies, Judd Apatow, himself. The director/writer/producer crafted, this time, an interesting story with a lead character just begging to be liked. Andy (Steve Carell) is an apparent worry-free, happy, well-groomed respectable man, working at a tech store, but there is something off about him... oh, right, he's a 40-year old virgin (in case you hadn't figured it from the title) and a nerd.

If riding his bike to work and signaling his turns does not make you think that something is off with him, then his enormous collection of toys and action figures definitely will. The plot revolves pretty much around his co-workers and friends helping him to get laid--hallelujah! Despite its comedic tone and its raunchiness, this is a surprisingly insightful film as far as buddy comedies go, even if the information revolves around various echelons of women and naughty theories about sex. The film's misogynistic moments are often necessary, and not everything boils down to sex, but the experience of love.

Andy's buddies, despite being a bunch of hedonists and testosterone driven macho-men, are not worried simply because he never had sex. They want him to experience love, they genuinely think about his emotional future, and the comedy comes from the fact that the only way they know how to teach him is by bringing him to obscene nightclubs, offering him a box filled with pornographic material or simply giving him instructions on how to approach a woman.

There are tons of moments of pure modernity-inspired fun even outside this main plot. One of the most random and best recurring gags is the one in which the only material playing on the TVs on display is a two-year old Michael McDonald DVD of which David (Paul Rudd), makes a bold, funny and perfectly-delivered threat to his boss to be changed. All-in-all, Andy does interact with many women and we see flashbacks of his failed teenager years attempts at popping his cherry, all failing in hilarious ways--this is another thing that I liked: there was no dramatic moment or anything in his life, he simply had bad luck!

Apatow crafted yet another first-world, modern comedy. It is what it is, but by the end of it, despite knowing that ideally Andy should be with a single woman, Trish, who is presented as the one, the film does a great job at confusing you as well as him. Luckily there are many gags to keep you entertained and with such a sweet, human character, I can barely get past the cringe-inducing song at the end.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You know how I know you're gay"
UniqueParticle14 June 2021
One of the best comedies ever made! I absolutely love the cast they're heartwarming fun to watch. Judd Apatow's first film has become a cult classic that has aged like en expensive wine. Steve Carols breakout role that probably got him a lot of great future roles well deserving too! All the scenes with the friends are so delightful. So awesome that there's so much build up to admit being a virgin I'm glad they made it like that.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One long tasteless joke and not a very funny one
wellthatswhatithinkanyway9 September 2005
STAR RATING: ***** The Works **** Just Misses the Mark *** That Little Bit In Between ** Lagging Behind * The Pits

The gross-out comedy looks like it will strike another hit with The 40 Year Old Virgin, as well as make a big star out of Steve Carrell, waiting for his big break after supporting roles in films such as Anchorman and Bruce Almighty.

He plays Andy Stitzer. Andy works in an electronics store. He fits in with his work colleagues, does his job well and doesn't stand out that much other than his funny dress sense, the fact he rides a bike to work and his virginal qualities that his mates have started to notice. When his 'shameful' secret is revealed, the mates go to extreme lengths to get him to pop his cherry, but as events roll on, Andy discovers it's best to just let life roll on as it will and let things happen in the natural scheme of things, as he develops a relationship with a woman who is set to become a grand-mother at roughly the same age as him.

The film is too long. This might not have been such a problem had the film had more of a sentimental edge to it, a la Mrs Doubtfire, but it entertains it's near-the-knuckle laughs side a bit too much to really make it this way. That's not to mention the NTK laughs that actually cross the boundary into tastelessness, i.e. the drink driving scene with the woman with her own breathalyser and Andy in the car, which the many families of DD victims might want to complain about. You could argue the whole film is like this, but, that's your opinion. Successfully, I found the film to be rarely funny, extremely funny when it is but not that often.

It may have just caught me on a bad day and Carrell does have what seems to be a promising future as a leading man in comedies, but the impression I've initially come away with isn't much of a good one. **
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 40 Year Old Virgin
jackson_ro5 July 2020
A hilarious cast of characters and wonderfully talented comedians makes The 40 Year Old Virgin a comedic classic, but watching it in 2020 again the film and the jokes does seem dated. The movie would have done so much better if it tried beyond that "R" rating and went for the extra notch in raunchiness. The story itself is very linear and standard to what we would expect from this time period and this cast, but it is the standard of the actors that made the film so memorable for so many film lovers.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I would have preferred more Carrell...less of his loutish friends
planktonrules17 September 2021
"The 40 Year Old Virgin" is an odd mix. On one hand the film is very crude and nasty...filled with tons of sexual innuendos. And, on the other, it's a sweet romance. And for me, the mix didn't quite work. I would have preferred less of the crude humor and more of Steve Carrell's character and the romance.

Andy (Carrell) works at an Electronics store that is much like Best Buy. His co-workers are all jerks who talk about sex all the time. Andy, on the other hand, is pretty shy and has no experience with women...and at first these co-workers make fun of him being a virgin. However, later they make it their mission to get Andy laid. And, not surprisingly, these efforts don't work and their advice is pretty bad. Can Andy manage to find love as well as sex?

Apparently there's a director's cut which has more crudeness than this version. For me, I think there was already too much in the film and it really got in the way of the nice romance. Worth seeing but probably not a good date night film.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie's poster is funnier than the movie.
FilmSnobby24 August 2005
The feeling persists that Steve Carell is somehow smarter than this material. Perhaps it was his association with "The Daily Show" that generates high expectations . . . or, if "high" is too strong a word, our expectations are raised at least some inches above the curb abutting the gutter. And indeed, perhaps the original treatment intended to be a witty and ironic take on what is and is not expected of males in the sexual arena in our modern society. Blah blah blah.

But that's precisely the sort of movie that Hollywood would never bankroll, and so such idle speculations are really a waste of time. Carell and director John Apatow keep the material strictly aimed at the most lucrative target audience of 18-to-25 year-olds, as well as the younger adolescents who will view the DVD later: morning stiffies; "you-know-how-I-can-tell-you're-gay" wisecracks; plenty of T & A; a chick barfing in some dude's face. Carell achieves at least one original moment, to put it charitably (others may call it an all-time new low): he literally gets his hirsute chest bloodily waxed before our eyes. Laughing yet? Yeah -- nothing for adults here, even though the title informs us that it's about a 40-year-old.

Then it occurred to me that I was AGAIN witnessing a film featuring both Carell and Paul Rudd. The last time was in *Anchorman*. *The 40-Year-Old Virgin*, therefore, firmly belongs within the Wilson/Vaughn/Stiller/Ferrell/Rudd Nexus of Bad Comedy that I railed about in my review of *Wedding Crashers*. Now, we can add another forward-slash, followed by Carell's name, to the Nexus' lengthy prefix. I suppose one ought to be thankful that Will Ferrell doesn't put in a cameo in this one. Indeed, I almost raised up the rating for *The 40-Year-Old Virgin* to 2 stars out of sheer gratitude for this fact. But! -- Luke Wilson is referenced by actual name when one of the sexy females in the movie compares the Carell character to Wilson, physically speaking. (Carell, who wrote much of the screenplay, proves once again the eternal egotism of writers.) Now that was just one reference to the Nexus too many; therefore, back down to 1 star.
26 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great heartwarming comedy
masonsaul16 April 2020
The 40 Year Old Virgin has some jokes that aren't funny but its still a great comedy that's heartwarming, sincere and funny. Steve Carell gives an incredibly earnest lead performance and Romany Malco, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Katherine Keener are all great. It's very funny and well paced. Judd Apatow's direction is great and the soundtrack is really good.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a competent comedy film
calspers21 October 2021
"The 40 Year Old Virgin" (2005) is an excellent comedy film - and that by today's standards. Script is great, direction smooth. It has a very 2000's feel to it. Not in a cheesy but a charming way.

As usual, Steve Carrell is phenomenal. Seth Rogan and Paul Rudd are hilarious, too.

Brilliantly focused comedy written and directed from a funny and interesting premise. Highly recommended for a night of entertainment.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So So
iohefy-214 September 2005
After seeing the TV promo's on this movie the scenes show looked funny, so I went to see this movie last night. What they showed on Television were still funny, but for the most part the movie was very crude and got boring after the first 15 minutes. Once again what has happened to the writer's of the past. Either they make repeats of old movies or television series or they turn out crap like this movie. I as a male enjoy seeing sexy movies, but this one was the bottom of the barrel. The only really funny scene is when our hero was having excess hair removed from his chest. Pass this one by and I would even think about buying the DVD that should be out very very soon. I don't know what the critics were thinking when they gave this film thumbs up.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.