The Eye 2 (2004) Poster

(2004)

Semi-successful sequel
Leofwine_draca14 October 2012
THE EYE is one of my favourite Asian horror movies: a sublime ghost train ride of a movie, packed full of spooky sequences (not to mention THAT famous lift scene). So, from the outset, THE EYE 2 has its work cut out to even be mentioned in the same territory, let alone equal that first film's success. Having just finished watching it, I can confirm that, while it's nowhere near the same level of quality as the first movie, it turns out to be a fairly decent horror film in its own right.

The story follows on from the first film's but goes off on a tangent. This time around, the lead is a suicidal woman (played by THE TRANSPORTER's Shu Qi) whose attempt to kill herself leads to her being able to see ghostly spirits. Oh, and she's pregnant. The whole storyline is centred around the pregnancy and pregnant women in general, which makes for an intriguing slant on the first film's story. Of course, it's also an excuse for lots of creepy shots of ghosts just hanging around.

The material definitely feels looser this time around. Danny & Oxide Pang paint their film in broader strokes, throwing in a couple of Hong Kong urban legends (the faceless woman and the voice at the bus stop) that make no sense in relation to the plot but which make good fright scenes anyway. Although an attempt to emulate the first film's lift scene is an unmitigated disaster (those underwater swimming-style effects shots made me chuckle if anything) a lot of the other scary moments are effective, particularly a moment involving a couple of ghosts at the bus stop.

It's not a great movie, which is mainly down to the writing; the script dictates that the leading character is selfish and repellent for much of the running time, so there's a distinct lack of somebody to root for. Shu Qi acquits herself well in the fright stakes, but fails to elicit any sympathy for her character's plight. Watch out for a welcome cameo from HARD BOILED's Mad Dog, Philip Kwok, as a Buddhist master. Overall, as Asian horror films go, this is one of the better ones (and trust me, I've seen my fair share of ones that aren't).
Scary Story, Deceptive End
claudio_carvalho6 December 2005
Joey Cheng (Qi Shu) attempts to suicide using an overdose of sleeping pills, when her boyfriend breaks up with her. However, she is saved by the staff of the hotel and from this moment on, she has visions of dead people. When she finds that she is pregnant, she decides to have the baby and protect him against the frightening ghosts.

"Jian gui" is one of my favorite horror movies, and "Jian gui 2" has also a very scary story, with one of the strongest scenes I have ever seen. Although having the same title, this movie is not a sequel of "Jian gui". Unfortunately, the deceptive end is completely related to the Buddhist beliefs of reincarnation and too much straight for my taste. I was expecting for some last scary surprising scene, but I was completely disappointed with the correctness of the conclusion. The beauty of Qi Shu, an actress unknown for us Westerns, with her thick lips is amazing and a great attraction. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Visões" ("Visions")
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Eye 2
Tweekums30 January 2020
As this Hong Kong horror sequel opens Joey is shopping in Thailand; she phones her boyfriend back home in Hong Kong but he doesn't seem to want to talk. That evening in her hotel room she takes an overdose. She doesn't die but afterwards she starts seeing ghosts; in particular that of a woman who, as far as she knows, she has no connection to. Once back home she learns that she is pregnant; and things get more frightening for her as she fears the ghostly woman wants to reincarnate as her child.

While this may officially be a sequel to 'The Eye' it is only in a thematic sense. No characters return and the method by which our new protagonist starts seeing ghosts is different... so there is no need to watch the first to enjoy this. It is an effective chiller though with plenty of spooky moments and some good scares. The way Joey fears the one ghost has designs on her unborn child are effective and despite the fact that there are obvious Buddhist connections the fears are universally understandable... nobody wants to think there is something potentially wrong with their unborn child. The cast does a solid job, most obviously Shu Qi, in the role of Joey, who is rarely off screen. Overall I enjoyed this film; it was nicely creepy without obvious violence. I'd certainly recommend it to fans of Asian horror films.
What's Shu looking at?
BA_Harrison13 May 2012
In the Pang Brothers 'sequel-in-name-only' to their 2002 hit The Eye, Shu Qi plays Joey Cheng, a young woman who, after a failed suicide attempt, realises that she can see the spirits of dead people, including those who are waiting to be reincarnated. This proves to be quite unsettling for Joey since she is pregnant, and the spirit of her ex-boyfriend's dead wife wants to become her child.

Ghost in a taxi; ghost in a lift; ghost under a table; ghosts falling from the sky: The Eye 2 has plenty of spook action, and yet it still remains remarkably scare-free, the pale-faced spirits in this film being far from malevolent, doing very little apart from turning up unexpectedly in the strangest of places. Joey looks rather upset by the whole affair, which I guess is understandable—it's not unreasonable to want to visit the loo or have a shower without being disturbed by restless dead people—but all things considered, there are far worse ghosts out there to be haunted by.

In the end, Joey's personal supernatural stalker, who only wishes to be reborn so that she can forget all about her previous unhappy life, turns out to be a sort of guardian angel, preventing any harm from coming to her 'mother-to-be'. This reincarnation aspect of the plot is kinda interesting, I suppose, but it doesn't exactly make for a very frightening experience, which is what I imagine most viewers will be after.

4.5 out of 10, rounded up to 5 for IMDb.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As sequels tend to be, mediocre...
paul_haakonsen3 September 2021
I believe this is my second time to sit down and watch "The Eye 2" (aka "Gin gwai 2"), as I returned to watch it again here in 2021. I must admit that I couldn't really recall the movie, aside from it having Shu Qi in the lead, from back in 2005 when I watched it the first time.

Writers Yuet-Jan Hui and Lawrence Cheng didn't manage to compose a storyline that rivaled or matched the original 2002 storyline in "The Eye". However, it should be said that the "The Eye 2" is still a watchable movie. And if you haven't already seen the 2002 original movie, then "The Eye 2" is actually rather interesting. However, having seen the original movie, then there was just that creep factor missing in part two that was presented in the first movie.

I will say that the storyline was actually well enough written, and writers Yuet-Jan Hui and Lawrence Cheng did manage to make the story come full circle in an interesting way. However, the movie was just not all that creepy.

The movie was nicely carried by Shu Qi. And I will say that Eugenia Yuan (playing Sam's wife) definitely was nicely cast, just a shame that she wasn't given more time on the screen.

"The Eye 2" makes for a mediocre foray into the Asian horror genre. It was watchable and enjoyable enough for what it turned out to be. But it was, as most sequels tend to go, not living up to its predecessor.

My rating of directors Danny Pang and Oxide Chun Pang's 2004 sequel "The Eye 2" lands on a mediocre five out of ten stars.
The Eye 2
Scarecrow-8817 August 2007
Through the act of attempted suicide which almost kills her(the taking of a large number of pills, after spending all her cash on clothes, due to depression after a bad relationship is called quits), Joey(the superb Qi Shu in an understated, subdued performance)gains the sixth sense and sees ghostly apparitions. Finding out she's pregnant by her past lover(who was married keeping this a secret from Joey), Joey slides into an overwhelming sadness which doesn't bode well with the fear and torment of the scary spirits that pop up everywhere she goes. This one female spirit(Eugenia Yuan)seems to cling to Joey more than any other spirit..who she is will be one frightening discovery Joey would like to have not known.

The story is much smaller than the previous film, "The Eye" and much more of a character piece focusing on Joey and her traumatic story with all it's emotional upheavals. There are some excellent jump-scares, imaginative images that you won't soon forget such as the scene where Joey sees her child's face form into the image of the female ghost who stalks her. The film really uses the idea of reincarnation to full effect providing the story with an interesting narrative..spirits cling to the pregnant entering the wombs of women before they deliver eliminating the life they once lived to begin anew. The story might be much smaller in scale, but it's still quite an ambitious project using the Buddhist belief system as a means of telling a powerful story on one woman's acceptance of life through many unorthodox experiences and another who has passed on desiring for a fresh start within a brand new life.

This could be the Pang Brothers' best film to date.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reincarnation in creepy flick
lastliberal11 June 2007
I couldn't resist watching a movie with Qi Shu after seeing her in The Transporter. Unfortunately, while she did a great job of acting, the movie itself left a lot to be desired.

It was really nothing more than an episode of Ghost Whisperer. She doesn't have "the gift" of seeing spirits until she attempts suicide subsequent to another failed relationship -- like anyone would believe that someone wouldn't want her! It is more than seeing spirits, it relates to Buddhist beliefs and reincarnation. The key is that the spirits want to be reborn and forget their past lives. They do this by possessing babies as they are born.

Of course, she is pregnant, too. She keeps seeing the same spirit and wants to find out why it is haunting her. That is an interesting part of the story and I won't spoil it for you.

The only real horror is the fact that she attempts suicide three more times and fails each time. You won't believe the last two attempts.

So, I got to see Qi Shu again, but I was hoping for better horror.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultimately unsatisfying
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews8 June 2010
Since I liked the first one so much, I was hoping that the sequel would not be of the cash-cow variety; you know, the ones made purely for a profit, since the producers know that the audience is already there. I was thankfully right. This isn't phoned in, and it isn't really a follow-up to the original(not sure I see how one could be made). Instead, it's a completely different concept, albeit with similarities(also in the tone and, to an extent, the way it terrifies you). A young woman becomes depressed after a break-up, and tries to commit suicide. After that, she begins to see things that others don't seem to be able to. I gotta say, I love the idea(which I can't imagine many in the West thinking up) behind this(and refuse to spoil it for anyone). We get new characters, and the main one is again likable. The acting is quite good in most cases. This one is written by one of the same guys, and the director brothers return. The plot is interesting, and the explanation(arguably overly spelled out) basically makes sense, though the ending lets us down, and once you know the entire thing, it loses a lot of its impact. It's not as effectively creepy as its predecessor, even if it does start being so from the first frame. Eerie supernatural mystery, yes, thriller, not really. There are a few jump-scares and disgusting bits. It does work as a drama again, with genuine emotion, and it's only seldom corny and cheesy. The editing and cinematography are great, if a handful of shots last longer than they need to. There is a ton of disturbing content and some bloody violence in this. I recommend this to those looking for the hints more than the goods, and who don't require a strong conclusion, when it comes to Asian horror. 6/10
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite disappointing follow-up to "The Eye".
HumanoidOfFlesh27 December 2004
"The Eye" was easily one of the creepiest Asian horror flicks I have ever seen,so I decided to check out its sequel.Qi Shu plays a young woman Joey Cheng who is in a fragile emotional state following her third relationship break-up.She tries to commit suicide,unfortunately her overdose seemingly triggers a series of visions of creepy spirits,a phenomenon that intensifies in Hong Kong when Joey discovers that she is pregnant."The Eye 2" lacks the suspense and chills of the original.Still there are some memorable set-pieces including a drowned corpse traversing a woman giving birth in the elevator.The acting is great with Qi Shu giving an excellent performance as a troubled woman,but "The Eye 2" is almost completely devoid of tension.However if you are a fan of Asian horror give it a look.7 out of 10.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I see you too
CuriosityKilledShawn21 October 2012
Danny and Oxide Pang follow-up their 2002 horror movie with this non-related sequel. It's not as effective as the original, but still has a few scenes worth watching for.

Joey Cheng (Shu Qi, who you might recognize from her terrible performance from Transporter) is a young, pregnant woman who attempts suicide, and fails, only to obtain the ability to see ghosts. There's no plot though. Some of the ghosts seem cursory and are never fully explained. They're weird and visible just for the sake of it, with no explanation. There's a slight mystery involving the woman Joey sees lurking in the train station which leads to sweet ending, but it's not really enough to sustain a 95-minute running time.

It falls short of the Eye, though there are a couple of tense moments and it's not completely dissatisfying.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie as it's moments
atinder2 May 2011
The Eye was one the best horror movies to come in last 10 years or so, it one of favourite of horror movies of all time., it was really creepy and wheel made.

The Eye 2 is stand alone movies, it not connected to the first movie.

After a failed suicide attempt, a pregnant woman gains the ability to see ghosts.

This movie is not as good or as creepy as The Eye however this movie hold up by it self, there were some really good scenes this movie The scenes with baby scan, freaked me out little and I really liked the scenes at the bust stop as it made Jump twice in 60 seconds.

The acting in this movie was good but not great. This movie dose have moments so I going give 5 out of 10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It's the beginning of a new life."
Backlash00730 August 2009
~Spoiler~

The Eye 2 sees the Pang Brothers back in familiar territory. This time out they're telling a completely different ghost story that has little to do with the original film. The new story follows a pregnant Shu Qi as she tries to kill herself multiple times and something will not let her die. Once again there are some chilling moments but I was ultimately let down. I watched Stir of Echoes, The Eye, and The Eye 2 back to back to back; I'm ready for an evil ghost movie. The ghosts in this film just hang around pregnant women while they are waiting to be reincarnated. The idea would have made a good anthology episode, but hardly warrants a feature film. That's the main flaw here, it didn't hold my attention. And I found Shu's character to be very annoying. She whines all the time and even after she knows the ghosts don't have evil intentions she is still afraid they are going to hurt her baby. If Philip Kwok tells you the ghosts just want to be reincarnated, you believe him. I know they are capable filmmakers, but the Pang Brothers have yet to seriously impress me.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent, if loose, sequel to the original
DVD_Connoisseur31 December 2006
When the DVD of "The Eye 2" slid into my player, I had began to think I'd seen most of the scary scenes that Asian cinema had to offer. Don't get me wrong, I love Asian movies - it's just that in recent months, every film I'd watched had the same Ringu-like ghosts, the same overall feel.

For me, "The Eye 2" felt like a breath of fresh air. As a very loose sequel to the first movie, this film has a lot to offer. There are some genuinely effective "BOO!" moments in the first half, and a real sense of unease throughout the proceedings.

The very beautiful and extremely talented Shu Qi plays the central character, Joey, who's failed suicide attempt opens communication channels with the world of the dead. This is a cue for ghosts to present themselves at every opportunity...and not just in the dead of night. The feeling that Joey isn't safe at any time is effective and the ghostly apparitions managed to take me by surprise on more than one occasion, nearly leading to a trip to the dry cleaners. By borrowing from urban ghost stories, the directors include some very effective and chilling set pieces into their movie.

For the sake of realism, Shu Qi certainly had to go through some pretty unpleasant experiences - in the first 10 minutes of the film, there's a hospital scene that some may find difficult to watch.

The Pang Brothers have delivered, in my opinion, a better film than "The Eye". While the pay-off in this film couldn't match the sheer spectacle of the first, "The Eye 2" has a satisfying conclusion and its ideas will linger with you once the credits have rolled.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Eye 2"- A solid but uneven creep-fest with a surprisingly warm heart beneath the scares.
Growing up in the United States in the 90's, I was never really exposed to foreign film as a child. Foreign films were more a niche market at that time... something you had to actively be aware of and seek out for yourself in cramped back-sections of video-stores or through special orders in magazines. It wasn't really until my mid-teens in the early 2000's that I became a fan, when a rash of Americanized remakes and reboots started to popularize foreign film- particularly Asian cinema- to increasing numbers of western audiences. Soon enough, by the time I was 16, I was ordering Region-Free imports of films and series online, scouring the shelves of the local Video King for the latest translated releases and borrowing whatever I could from friends and relatives.

One of my favorite finds around that time was the Pang Brother's wonderfully eerie and thrilling 2002 release "The Eye"- a fun but somewhat flawed ghost-story about a woman who goes through a cornea transplant and gains the ability to see spirits and ghouls. It was a very fun little tale of terror, and even to this day, I give it a watch now and then. However, I wasn't immediately aware that the film was only the first of a series, with several sequels of inconsistent quality having followed. So you could imagine my surprise a few years later when I stumbled onto "The Eye 2" on a store-shelf one Summer day.

"The Eye 2" is most certainly a peculiar follow-up. Not a direct sequel by any means, the film tells a unique tale regarding a depressed woman named Joey (Shu Qi) who tries to commit suicide after a failed relationship, but survives and learns that she is pregnant with the child of her former lover. Soon though, she begins to see vile spectral figures that follow her, and she learns that they are trying to take ahold of her unborn baby so that they may be reborn into the human world. And so, she goes on a journey to try and discover just what's happening and if there is any way to save her baby from being taken over by these seemingly vengeful spirits.

The film does falter quite a bit in the fear department which is why it loses some crucial points for me, and a big part of the issues at hand is the lack of fear and panic in comparison with the first film. While it does have a few select moments of genuine creeps and jumps, the film is far too focused on story and character to really get under your skin, and the genuine scares often come few and far in between. I also found that Joey, while a compelling enough protagonist, is saddled far too often in the first half into being little more than a sort-of sad-eyed puppy-dog of a woman. Yes, the film is about an emotionally damaged woman... but it can be a bit overbearing at times.

However, the film excels and is still a worthy watch due to the shockingly warm heart it contains beneath the surface. It really sets the film apart of not only the other entries in the series, but also the other contemporary horror films as a whole. The film is genuinely an emotional roller-coaster and many of its twists and turns are actually quite sweet and good-natured. It may seem counter-intuitive for a horror film to have a good moral center, but it actually works quite well here. The film's themes tend to center on ideas like seeking forgiveness from both oneself and the others around us, the concept of motherhood as a whole and just doing the right thing no matter what, and it gives the film a very fulfilling arc for not only Joey as a character, but everyone around her. Qi is quite good as our protagonist even if it takes some time to accept her depressive personality. And supporting roles by the likes of Eugenia Yuan and Jesdaporn Pholdee are exceptionally well-played and add a lot to the proceedings.

While it's never quite as startling as I'd have wished, I still find "The Eye 2" a very fun and engaging feature, and I'd definitely highly recommend it to fans of foreign horror. For me, it's a pretty solid 7 out of 10. If you liked the original, give it a shot. I'd just also recommend steering clear of the third film... Oh, boy.
Decent But Not On The Same Par As The First Movie
dfa12037418 June 2015
After thoroughly enjoying The Eye, I was looking forward to seeing The Eye 2, especially as this was also directed by the Pang Brothers, the two directors of the first film. Unfortunately, after viewing it, I was let down quite a bit and didn't enjoy it as much as the first, with this one being somewhat slower-paced and less creepy too.

This isn't really a sequel to the first movie either as it doesn't have any of the characters from The Eye, and it has it's own separate storyline. I guess it can be classed more of a spin-off from the first.

Also, this one had a completely different feel to it. The first movie WAS a supernatural horror, pure and simple, but this one, while still having the supernatural element to it, felt more like a sort of drama than a horror. It had more of an emotional attachment to it with the different aspects of the storyline. Not that that's a bad thing...as long as I am actually expecting a drama, but I was expecting a film that was similar to the first.

As I said above as well, there are much less creepier moments in this film than what there was in the first, but some of the creepy scenes here are pretty well done. I'm not sure, but it's as if the Pang Brothers were trying to make a film that dealt more in delivering suspense rather than pure "scare the s**t out of you" as it was more subdued this time around. I'm not saying that The Eye didn't have any suspense in it because it did...and plenty of it, but here it seems to deal more in suspense and less in creepy.

The story is a pretty interesting one as it deals with the Buddhist version of reincarnation and their belief on what happens to the spirits of the dead. As long as you keep an open mind and don't instantly think "ach, what a pile of nonsense" then you'll be fine (and that's coming from an atheist).

As mentioned, The Eye 2 is nowhere near the same level as The Eye, but it's still a decent watch, especially if you enjoy Asian horrors/thrillers.
Great Sequel...
suspiria1019 June 2004
Ratjng: * * * *

Synopsis: Joey is unlucky in love. After her third relationship comes to an abrupt end she attempts suicide. But this brush with the other side has left with the ability to see things that a person isn't supposed to see. After she finds out she is pregnant she tries to put her life back in order she finds that she is being menaced by one of the various spirits she now sees. She must save her baby from the spirit at all costs.

Review: This sequel to the highly successful creepy 2002 original stars Shu Qi as the lead Joey. This time around the scares are lessened as the narrative of this sad woman takes center stage. Very good acting across the board lends emotion to the story and at times helps drop your guard long enough to nail you with a good jump. The scares are often creepy little set pieces that add to the overall somber atmosphere of the film. The script incorporates many different elements including suicide, broken hearts and a little reincarnation for good measure. Well written you feel for the Joey character as her life goes to pieces. The Pang Brothers turn out another outstanding chiller full of emotion and chills, two combinations hardly seen together. The look of the film is awesome with a colorful look at times and a drab menacing look when needed. What is this thing that the Pang Brothers have with elevators? The music is very good and frames most of the scares in a usual fashion. A very bassy and cello heavy sound mix run through out the film and lends itself to the atmosphere. Overall a very worth continuation but I had a minor complaint with the ending; it kind of got away but was made up by the cool final scene.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the original
dfle330 May 2008
A sequel in name only to the The Eye/Gin Gwai. In other words, this movie's link to the first one is merely that a character has the ability to see dead people (ghosts/spirits/souls). Therefore, if you haven't seen the original, don't fret. You will not feel lost. Just by the by, there was a Hollywood version based on the first in this series, starring Jessica Alba. Haven't seen that one. Did see the first and wasn't a huge fan...from memory, some adjectives which came to mind for that were: sentimental, silly (but, to be fair, sometimes creepy too).

Anyway, I prefer this sequel to the first. It concerns a pregnant woman in a troubled relationship with a man. She unsuccessfully 'attempts' suicide, and this seems to spark her 6th Sense type ability. As a result, there are many eerie/creepy scenes where we/she sees spirits getting a little too close for comfort.

Often sombre and leisurely paced, this is compensated for by being more intellectually rewarding than the first movie. However, you have been warned...don't watch this expecting to see a thrill a minute...this is more slow burn pacing.

In a way, I see this movie as being sort of an Asian "The Exorcist". I reviewed The Exorcist here a while back. In that movie, you are made to fear the devil and may run towards the Catholic Church to make you feel safer (not that the Church would have endorsed this movie...pretty sure that they condemned it at the time). Which is to say that in The Eye 2, Asian philosophy, of a metaphysical sort is explored. Specifically, the beliefs of Buddhism. Not really qualified to discuss the philosophy of Buddhism, but, to the extent that this movie draws on Buddhist philosophy (much? not so much?), it is really quite disconcerting to see how that world view would instantiate itself. If Buddhism is true, would this movie comfort you? Or scare you? On second thoughts, maybe this is the movie to scare you into becoming a good Buddhist!

At times, this movie does lack realism and tests your willingness to suspend disbelief, as far as 'real life' goes.
More thoughtful than scary
Gafke30 October 2005
While not as intense and emotionally involving as the original Jian Gui, this sequel still provides some interesting ideas about life after death...and life before birth.

Mentally fragile Joey, suffering from a recent break up with her boyfriend, makes yet another suicide attempt. As consciousness fades away, she glimpses shadowy figures gathered around her bedside. Once her stomach is pumped and she makes a full recovery, Joey realizes she is pregnant. As the pregnancy progresses, Joey begins seeing ghosts. They're in taxi cabs, falling off of rooftops and hanging around elevators. They seem particularly interested in the pregnant women that now surround Joey in her everyday activities. One in particular, the ghost of a sorrowful young woman, seems determined to keep Joey from harm, preventing further suicide attempts and even viciously attacking a would-be rapist. Joey realizes that the ghost was once the wife of the man Joey was having an affair with, and who is now the father of her unborn baby. But is it revenge the ghost wants, or something else entirely?

This film lacks some of the scares that the first one provided quite well and moves along rather slowly, but it is by no means a bad movie at all. Its ideas about the dead and the unborn are quite intriguing and the film, much like the first one, proves to be an uplifting experience. The performances are all excellent and the story quite intelligent. A scary scene in a taxi cab with a Ringu- ish ghost is especially tense and worth the wait.

I much prefer the original Jian Gui, but this one is a worthy effort. Fans of the genre shouldn't miss it.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst excuse for a so-called sequel, that has NOTHING to do with the completely superior 1st!
TheEmulator2312 December 2007
This for one has nothing to do with the absolutely fantastic first flick. And of course us Americans just have to remake everything successful into English, because man reading subtitles is SOOOOO Hard isn't it! From what I've see in the new trailers with the adorable now pregnant Jessica Alba (well that sure ruins every teenage boys fantasy everywhere doesn't it!) It looks EXACTLY the same but probably w/double the budget. I thought the original was one of the best horror/suspense/mystery flicks I have seen in any language in quite a long while. I would recommend watching that one and skipping this one all together, there is no reason to watch this as there is no reason this even called "The Eye 2" except to capitalize on the excellence that was the first flick. Do yourself a favor watch "The Eye" with the volume turned up and get ready for some probable jumping. I watched it w/headphones on and was pleasantly surprised on the excellence that was the direction of the Pang brothers. If "The Eye" remake does well which I'm hoping it does for the sake of the Pang Brothers movie careers, but at the same time it seems a shame that people won't/can't see the original, because very often/almost always the remake isn't as good as the original. Watch this one if one wants to be mildly kinda of boring flick, but the original is no comparison to this sequel in name only flick.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good sequel to The Eye....
MovieGuy0116 October 2009
I Thought that the The Eye 2 was a good sequel to The Eye But not as good as the first film. It is about a Pregnant woman called Joey (Shu Qi) who is on the brink of madness after several suicide attempts. She starts to see shadowy images that haunt her pervasively. Joey recovers from an overdose of sleeping pills after having her stomach pumped. It she had visions of dead people accompanying her during her darkest minutes. But just when she looks forward to a brand new life, she discovers that she is pregnant. Being tortured by the thought of an abortion, Joey finds herself becoming delusional and emotionally unstable. She is frequently threatened by the sudden presence of strangers, and also feels stalked by a mysterious woman.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is nothing worse then a life left unexamined - SPOILERS
jmbwithcats25 August 2004
The Eye 2 is a sort of spin-off of the original Eye, although this time it shows us another gift of vision... and not through transplant, but through self induced suicide attempts. Qi Shu plays a desperately struggling, and suicidal young lady, pregnant, and teetering on the brink of madness... She's the unwilling recipient of an influx of shadowy images that haunt her pervasively. In an attempt to quell this disturbing phenomenon, she hooks up with a msysterious caretaker, and her secretive ex-lover Sam (Tik Jesadaporn Pholdee), who may be able to shed some light upon the mysterious twilight world descending upon Joey.

The story is about taking responsibility, and is done in such a haunting and wonderful way, as we wind through the inner battle of Joey's detachment from her life, her lack of understanding, and her coming to terms with who she is, and what she has been a part of all this time.

Joey is in love with a married man, and when he discovers a conscience, and begins brushing her off, Joey attempts suicide, out of her own guilt, and sadness. Suicidal attempts develop into strange visions of the dead... but what is she really seeing, and what will it teach her?

Sam's wife commits suicide by jumping in front of a train, when she discovers her husband is having an affair, and Joey begins to see a woman following her around, a ghost, but does she know this woman is the ex-wife of her ex-lover, and why does she follow Joey in the afterlife?

Joey is pregnant, and the further along her pregnancy, the more we see this woman following her, and the more we see strange phenomena surrounding pregnant women. Joey at first thinks the ghosts are threatening the unborn children, but must accept that she is to be the mother of her ex-lover's suicided ex-wife, and that these ghosts merely await reincarnation. Joey evolves as a character, and as a human being, in this heartwrenching story of coming to terms, and self sacrifice, as Joey takes on the responsibility of not only parenthood, but raising the one person as her baby, she hurt more then anyone else in her life.

But, don't be fooled, this is not merely a touching story of responsibility, karma, and social illness, the ghost protects Joey, so that it may be reborn. When a man threatens to rape Joey, he is brutally disfigured, Joey is unconscious so who did it? I believe it was the ghost of this woman protecting Joey.

Alot of people did not like this film, but I found it very moving. Qi Shu shows us she is capable of alot more then simply looking cute, in this heart wrenching look at reality, and the repercussions of living a life without truth.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inferior to the original...but still worth catching,
willywants9 October 2005
After a failed suicide attempt, a pregnant young woman, Joey, begins seeing some not-so-benign spirits. She learns that to find answers, she must dig into the past of her ex-boyfriend—and father of her unborn child. This sequel to the 2002 film "The Eye", plot-wise, is unrelated, though much of the original's crew has returned, including the Pang Bros. Directing and Jo Jo Yuet-chun Hui penning the script. The story line has little to do with the title (it may have been better marketed as an unrelated film) but the story itself offers enough twists, turns and red herrings—some of which I didn't see coming—to keep things interesting and often exciting. While the ghosts in the original were mostly creepy-looking, the ones here tended to lean more towards the gory end of the spectrum, the best scene involving a VERY realistic depiction of what happens to one's body after falling from the top of the building. Qi Shu makes a very strong lead, and all the other actors were fine as well, but for some reason the first quarter or so of the film is spoken primarily in English, perhaps to cash in on the overseas market (?). My biggest complaint is the fact that the film can often be laugh-out-loud cheesy. *SPOILER* for example, when Joey jumps from the top-story of a building, twice, are we really supposed to believe she's in good enough physical health afterwards to deliver an infant!?!?!? Come on, give me a break…

Still, it's worth checking out if you like Asian horror. It's inferior to the original, as sequels often are, but it's an interesting film nonetheless.

5.5/10.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Pang Brothers fare ...
sitenoise7 June 2008
... inventive camera-work, thoughtful sound design, well constructed scenes, a few jolts, and a story line that mixes fantasy, flashbacks, hallucinations and dreams with some present tense reality and impossible events (like jumping pregnant off a building roof and ending up with only a few scratches and a healthy baby. Call it a script.

No secret, I guess, that the Pang Brothers have their own personal logic and/or they can't be bothered with cohesiveness to their stories as long as there's a general thrust of somebody doing something questionable so the scaries can come after them until they fess up in an ambiguous way. I don't care. They do everything else well enough for me to enjoy their films.

Big pleasant surprise was anorexic model Shu Qi nailed her part. She was beautiful and convincing.

There is no reason for this film to be called EYE 2 except for capitalizing on the success of the original EYE which dealt specifically with a blind person getting an eye transplant from ... drum roll please ... someone who didn't die right--the basis of most Asian horror--so they haunt until a remedy is found.

I'm pretty sure Shu Qi had 20/20 vision in this movie, but she was messing around with a married guy, causing the wife to commit suicide (didn't die right), comb her hair over her face like a good Asian horror girl should so she can effectively haunt the nasty mistress who is pregnant with her cheating husband's child.

The MIA husband of some other pregnant girl also haunts our heroine for some reason. I dunno.

They don't show it but at one point Shu Qi practically bites the face off some other guy. That was fun to think about.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joey Sees Dead People
Crap_Connoisseur10 August 2006
The Pang Brothers return with a very bizarre sequel to "The Eye". Bizarre, not only due to The Eye 2 not following on from the original film in any way, but also due to the fact that this film almost represents a change of genre. The Eye 2 is more of a supernatural thriller than a typical horror film; the tension arises from mysterious events rather than carnage or bloodshed. The result is an unusual and disturbing entry into one of the best Asian horror franchises.

The Eye 2 introduces us to a new heroine, Joey, who indulges in a shopping spree before swallowing a bottle of pills in a very weak suicide attempt (she asks hotel staff to check in on her before doing the deed). Joey is revived in hospital but her near death experience gives her the ability to see spirits. This new gift only becomes stronger when Joey discovers that she is unexpectedly pregnant. There should be something exploitative about a horror movie that chooses a suicidal, pregnant woman as its subject matter. And to a certain extent, there is a mean spirited edge to The Eye 2. However, this scenario also allows the Pang Brothers to create an intensely disturbing atmosphere and display much of the visual virtuosity that has found them an international following.

The film's sense of tension builds rapidly after a slow first half. Joey begins to see more dead people and after consulting with Buddhists, comes to believe that a spirit is intent on possessing her unborn child. The Pang Brothers explore this set up with a number of memorably set pieces. The image of the falling corpses in the bus-stop scene lingers, the ghost under the table at the restaurant is unnerving and the creepy, womb raiding ghosts would turn anyone off having children.

The Pang Brothers are such masters at creating tension and suspense through their eerie visuals and excellent use of sound that you almost forget that this is all window dressing for a paper thin plot. For example, one of the film's major failings is that Joey's suicidal behaviour is never explained. This makes Joey's incredibly self-destructive behaviour difficult to gage. It's hard to tell if Joey is suicidal or completely psychotic. The reasoning behind this may well have been that Joey's ambiguous mental state increases the sense of hysteria. And to a certain extent it does, but it also makes it difficult to connect with Joey and her plight. The re-incarnation sub-plot is also barely explained and Joey's relationship with her ex-boyfriend remains a mystery.

The film's flaws are more than compensated for by the impressive visual effects, creepy atmosphere and brutality. The Pang Brothers' unique sense of visual style, which could best be described as film noir on hallucinogenic drugs, remains intact. In many ways, this is the only real connection with the first film. The Eye 2 is more derivative than its predecessor. For example, imagery such as the floating ghosts, owe a debt to Japanese horror. However, there is more than enough originality on display here to demonstrate the huge potential of these filmmakers. The visual effects are polished and the Pang Brothers' direction is as hyper as ever.

The film also displays a mean streak that differentiates it from many other movies of its genre. Joey, played with great skill by Taiwanese star Qi Shu, is not your typical scream queen; she's not represented as a fighter or survivor but the victim of circumstance. Joey attempts to commit suicide, is rejected by her boyfriend, finds out she's unexpectedly pregnant, almost raped, asks for an abortion, tries to kill herself at home and then twice more for good measure, in an extended and admirably tasteless scene, in hospital. The imagery may be surreal but the canvas on which it is placed is relentlessly grim and gritty.

The Eye 2 is suspenseful and wonderfully atmospheric but there is little depth to the proceedings. However, this is unlikely to turn off too many genre fans. My only reservation is that the Pang Brothers are clearly capable of more.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent horror drama
ernesti24 July 2006
I thought this movie'd be good when its DVD box got to my hand. I rarely make bad selections when renting a movie. I didn't fail to select a good one this time. There's plenty of rules of which you can identify a bad movie. A big plus is that if it's not a traditional American movie made with a big budget.

This movie is hardly predictable which makes it so good. I've never watched a movie like this one, but i can see a some connections to "the Tenant" by Roman Polanski.

I can recommend this movie to everybody who's a horror fan and fed up with American horror movies.