The Man (2005) Poster

(2005)

The Man
jboothmillard19 July 2014
I will be honest and say that the only reason I wanted to see this film really was because of the two leading actors in it, I thought bits and pieces would be relatively amusing, so I was prepared to ignore low critic ratings and give it a go anyway, from director Les Mayfield (Miracle on 34th Street, Flubber, Blue Streak). Basically in Milwaukee, Wisconsin dentist and dental supply company salesman Andy Fiddler (Razzie nominated Eugene Levy) is an ordinary man due to give a speech to investors in Detroit, and Derrick Vann (Samuel L. Jackson) is a hardcore undercover ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) agent trying to recover stolen arms following the death of his federal agent partner. It is after a case of mistaken identity that Andy winds up having to stick close to Derrick to help in his investigation, criminal Joey Kane (former Bros singer Luke Goss) believes that Andy is "The Man" behind it all and wants to make a deal with him. As the investigation goes on and they try to work out what is going on and how to stop the criminal activity, Derrick finds Andy to be getting in the way, asking too many questions and generally just talking too much, but he knows he is part of getting close to the criminals. Also starring Miguel Ferrer as Agent Peters, The Adjustment Bureau's Anthony Mackie as Booty, Susie Essman as Lt. Rita Carbone, Horatio Sanz as Santos and Rachael Crawford as Dara Vann. Jackson plays his usual if clichéd cool guy character fine, and Levy is indeed often rather annoying with his over the top facial expressions and constant talking, at least Goss does quite well as the British villain, the laughs are supposed to come from the friction between the federal agent and the ordinary annoying man, I admit I found certain parts funny, but it is indeed a predictable and sagging action comedy. Okay!
Man was this bad.
hitchcockthelegend15 May 2009
Two things I learnt from watching The Man last night, one is that Samuel L Jackson literally will do any film, regardless of how under written his role is. Does he even read scripts any more? You have to wonder when you see drek like this. Secondly I had it confirmed that film makers need to realise that a great supporting actor in comedies is not leading man potential. Eugene Levy, nice fella who tickled us pink as Jim's dad in Amercan Pie, simply isn't strong enough to carry a film, especially when his co-worker Samuel is bogged down by a meandering dull and unoriginal script {Piddock & Oberman you should be ashamed}. Luke Goss tries his best at villainy but Blade II seems a very long time ago now, whilst to under use Miguel Ferrer is tantamount to a treason of cinema.

Unimaginative dirge, 2/10 for sympathy.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The convention
jotix1009 October 2006
When Andy Fiddler, a man whose business is dental supplies, decides to attend the annual convention in Detroit, little prepares him for the adventure he is going to be involved, for being at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Andy, who happens to be in a coffee shop, minding his own business, has the unexpected pleasure to meet a low life guy dealing in illegal gun trafficking.

Detective Van, whose partner has been killed, is being investigated by Internal Affairs. The dead man was involved in the scam, as Agent Peters from that department tells Van, who is an honest man. Fate brings him and Andy Fiddler together, as Van wants Andy to work with him solving the case.

Les Mayfield, the director, shows a knack for making "The Man" an unexpected pleasure. He was blessed in pairing two different actors that make the movie even better. Samuel L. Jackson, an intense actor, and Eugene Levy, the comic genius, make one of the happiest appearances in a movie in quite some time. The material has a lot of laughs. The bonding of the two men is what makes the picture work. Miguel Ferrer is seen as the agent in charge of the investigation of Van. The excellent Susie Essman, long associated with Larry David, plays a police lieutenant in charge of Van.

The movie at 83 minutes running time, packs a lot of surprises. Les Mayfield, no doubt, will go to bigger and better things in the future.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No chemistry between Jackson and Levy
view_and_review10 May 2007
This movie was mildly humorous. Samuel Jackson and Eugene Levy tried, but I think this movie was doomed from the start. Samuel Jackson is not all that funny to begin with. He is at his best and funniest when he is in an action or suspense film and he's providing the comedy relief. To put him in a comedy outright is not his forte. Eugene Levy is a funny person, but his comedy hinges upon him being a supporting actor. I'm not talking about supporting actor as in second lead, but as in 3rd, 4th, or 5th string actor. Eugene Levy is good in small doses.

I can see how the producers would think that Jackson and Levy would make a good duet and it was a novel effort. Now, they should just learn from their mistake and move on. Jackson and Levy just never hit it off on screen, and it was a good lesson for everyone that they should stick to the roles they are most familiar with.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tired retread of the buddy flick
george.schmidt12 September 2005
THE MAN (2005) * Samuel L. Jackson, Eugene Levy, Luke Goss, Miguel Ferrer, Susie Essman, Anthony Mackie, Horatio Sanz. (Dir: Les Mayfield)

Tired retread of the 'buddy' flick

Why is the 'buddy' film such a tired vehicle? You'd think mixing a comic actor with a dramatic one would be a proved formula since it worked for Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte in "48 HRS" which pretty much launched the subgenre of cops and comedy 20 odd years ago. Well it certainly hasn't aged well and the latest venture of comic and dramatic actors joined at the hip with bullets flying may well signal the death knell for it.

The plot has hapless nice guy schmuck dental equipment salesman Andy Fidler (Levy in his trademark character form) is in Detroit for a convention but winds up gumming up the works inadvertently for a sting operation by undercover ATF Special Agent Derrick Vann (perpetually glowering Jackson) when Fidler unwittingly walks into a diner and sits where Vann is supposed to be for a very important meet with an arms dealer who assumes Fidler is 'the man'.

When Vann abducts the shocked Fidler and ingratiating him into the operation at hand well insert the laughter here folks because this is when and why it is supposed to be funny: a fish-out-of-water white tight-ass with an angry black street-smart cop team up to get the bad guy. Are you laughing yet?

The plotting is so tedious and by-the-numbers you beg for the 'hilarity to ensue' already. The script by Jim Piddock (Levy's co-star in several of the Christopher Guest mockumentaries of late) and Margaret Oberman and Stephen Carpenter feels like it is a textbook playbook and Mayfield's debut as a director is skeptical at best.

The chemistry between the two seems natural yet in reality very forced. Fart humor and calling each other a bitch is the high point in this low-concept comedy of errors. Make a citizen's arrest and don't bother seeing this film anytime soon.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing new - or funny - here
Wizard-814 November 2009
We've seen this basic story many times before, the wimp who is forced into the world of cops and criminals. This wouldn't matter if the results had been funny as intended, but the movie isn't. Jackson's hard-assed cop character doesn't have a likable edge that makes us root for him to succeed, and Levy's character is simply overdone when less would have been more. The various gags in the movie are very familiar as well, from Levy's motormouth character to jokes about flatulence.

P.S. - If you must watch this movie, don't make the same mistake that I did and watch the TV print edited down so that it fits a ninety minute time slot with commercials. Some important information is obviously missing, resulting in several moments (like the pool scene) in the movie being somewhat incomprehensible.
Not Manly Enough.
anaconda-4065816 September 2015
The Man (2005): Dir: Les Mayfield / Cast: Eugene Levy, Samuel L. Jackson, Miguel Ferrier, Horatio Sanz, Luke Goss: Misguided comedy about authority and individuality. Eugene Levy plays a dental salesman on his way to a convention when he accidentally gets mistaken for a crime lord. Samuel L. Jackson plays an undercover cop whose partner was recently murdered and he reluctantly uses Levy as an opportunity to solve the case. No originality and totally standard and conventional. Even production is totally standard issue. Levy and Jackson seem like an interesting duo to involve together in a comedy especially given their backgrounds, but they are basically subdued in action clichés that never pay off. We get Levy in the inexperienced field while Jackson yells a lot in his direction. This was obviously meant to sell Levy as a leading role after his hilarious success as the permissive dad in American Pie, but the screenplay holds no weight. Supporting roles by Miguel Ferrier and Horatio Sanz are flat, but then again nothing is elevated beyond the basics here. The director is Les Mayfield whose trek record isn't the best. He previously made such junk as American Outlaws and Flubber, and this isn't much of an improvement. This is just another buddy film whereas some are good, while others, such as this one, are painfully bad. In the end the screenwriter wasn't "the man" for this job. Score: 2 / 10
Paper thin cop film
StevePulaski26 March 2011
The Man is a knockoff of a many other successful buddy cop films like 48 Hrs, Beverly Hills Cop, and Lethal Weapon. Not too say it doesn't have a couple of funny moments thrown in it's just they aren't new or clever. I laughed once the whole film and that was the "farting in the elevator" gag. After laughing about it for a bout thirty seconds I asked myself "what the hell? Am I two?" and then stopped.

Yes, Samuel L. and Eugene Levy have a pretty good on screen chemistry going for them, but it's not enough to award this film too much more. The leads are strong, but not strong enough. The Man isn't even too confident with itself because it's run time (without credits) is 79 minutes. That's the bare minimum qualifications to be a theatrical "film." I'm shocked this wasn't a TV film or didn't get the direct-to-DVD treatment.

The plot: ATF agent Derrick Vann (Jackson) is looking for guns that were recently stolen from an armory. Meanwhile Andy Fiddler (Levy) is a dentist salesman going to a convention in Detroit. After visiting a diner and been given a bag with a phone and a gun, Andy is arrested by Agent Vann. Vann realizes that the henchman who gave Andy the gun really mistook Andy for himself. Andy becomes Vann's "bitch," and the two are now working together on the crime to get the stolen guns back.

Both Jackson and Levy are fit for their respective roles. Samuel L. is great at playing the bad cop with a deep voice and a no bulls--- attitude, while Levy is better at playing an always innocent guy or the talkative pushover. Jackson had cop experience in Pulp Fiction, and Levy had good innocence experience in American Pie.

This is by no means a horrible movie. It's halfway decent. The thing is, it's a shame something like The Man can be released in theaters when other underrated gems like Frozen and LOOK sit on the sidelines just wishing a wider release could've happened.

The Man didn't need to be made. It's nothing new or original. This review may have been short, but I don't know what else to say. I'm at a loss for words. Smiles are found in The Man, but they're found right when I decided on the review I was going to write for the film.

Starring: Samuel L. Jackson and Eugene Levy. Directed by" Les Mayfield.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Man has it's moments, but overall fails to deliver
Smells_Like_Cheese22 June 2007
I don't know why, but something just made me wanna pick up the movie The Man. Samuel L. Jackson and Eugene Levy, why not? I have never seen Samuel in a comedy, so I thought this would be interesting and it seemed like a movie with a guaranteed laugh. While I did have moments where I laughed, like the scene where Andy tells the bad guys who Derrick is, that he's his, well, you'll have to see, I don't know if I can write it on IMDb. The story was good and the actors were fine, I'm not sure why, but the movie just didn't work or click like I thought it would.

Andy is a dentist who is about to go make huge speeches around the country, coincidentally he is in the place of where a cop, Derrick, is going under cover to buy weapons from a gang. Andy is mistaken for Derrick and now has become part of the case pretending that he's interested in this stuff. But it may not happen since he's driving Derrick insane with his pure and wholesome image.

The Man has a few good laughs that I'm sure you'll get, but I do warn you that the movie doesn't provide a full out comedy that you'll die laughing from. Eugene held his own, but Samuel in my opinion at least really cannot hold a comedy very well. He was meant to play like a serious but lovable tough guy cop, but it didn't work. So I'll leave this one up to you, if you wanna check it out, go ahead, because it's one of those films you'll have to see for yourself.

8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
who's the man?
disdressed123 January 2007
just finished watching "The Man"with Samuel.L Jackson and Eugene Levy.not a bad offering.it's sort of in the vein of "48 hours".now i'm not equating the 2 movies with each other,though i do seem to recall being less than impressed with "48 hours.i did however find "the Man" entertaining from beginning to end,from both a dramatic viewpoint and a comedic one.the 2 stars are both very gifted actors,so it was good to see them in action.admittedly,the film was kind of light in tone(it could have had been a bit more substantial) and very short in its running time.however,for what it was,it worked very well.i do have one small complaint dough and that is that the movie did seem a bit mean spirited in the beginning.not sure why that would bother me,since i would usually not complain about something like that.(it'a petty complaint,i'll admit) maybe i'm becoming someone who gets offended easily.in my ripe old age of 36.I hope not.anyway,i soon forgot about that and enjoyed the movie. a strong 7* out of 10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It may be stupid but, man, it sure is fun.
Pjtaylor-96-13804426 September 2018
'The Man (2005)' is about as generic as they come but, surprisingly, it's not bad. I'd even go so far as to say it's good. Good, but not great. Its moment-to-moment execution usually makes up for its clichéd concept and plot, and there's quite a bit of fun to be had when Jackson and Levy are attacking their odd-couple dynamic with full gusto. Indeed, while they both play variations of their most famous characters, the two leads are thoroughly, scene-chewingly entertaining. They're really the only reason that this is as much fun as it ultimately is. Well, them and the decent writing. You have to give credit where credit is due because, even though it's undeniably as clichéd as they come, the feature causes a considerable number of chuckles (fart gags and all) and you actually come to care for the fairly well-rounded characters, with the narrative taking some time to dip into a few expected but appreciated beats which serve to deepen the central relationship. It's certainly not a masterpiece, but it has a distinct charm to it and ends up as an experience that's ultimately enjoyable, if forgettable, and much better than it has any right to be. Trust me, the fact that I feel that way surprises nobody more than me. 6/10
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turned out to be exactly what I wanted it to be!!
Robert_duder15 January 2006
When I first saw trailers on The Man, I immediately formulated what I wanted this movie to be. Two completely unlikely and opposite men end up having to help each other to thwart the bad guys. One tough guy cop, one loser nobody, and in the end they find a respect for each other. Then the reviews started pouring in and they weren't favorable!! They completely shattered my hopes for what the film could and should be so I waited until DVD release to check this one out and guess what?? The Man is exactly what I wanted and expected from it which is great!!

Samuel L. Jackson is perfect and brilliant as tough, no nonsense, above the rule ATF agent Derrick Vann whose partner (turns out to be a dirty cop) is killed by a Gun Smuggler. Now Vann is suspected of being dirty as well and during a complete case of mistaken identity dental supply salesman Andy Fiddler is brought in to the underground world of illegal gun sales and Vann needs him to catch these guys. Jackson always plays the tough guy role well and he can deliver comedy as well so his role is perfectly cast. Eugene Levy who rocketed to fame during the American Pie craze is usually overused and over-rated (like the horrible New York Minute) and I was very concerned he would be overused in this film but instead he is delightfully annoying as Andy Fiddler. He's the pinnacle lovable loser that made him famous in American Pie. Him and Jackson really do have great comedic timing and chemistry which is absolutely essential for this type of film. I am devastated that this film didn't do better because I would have loved to see a sequel even though it never would have matched this one. This is a one trick pony for sure and it'll be a gem to some and horrible to others. Luke Goss is okay as the bad guy, gun smuggler but nothing entirely outstanding. Anthony Mackie has some genuinely funny moments as Jackson's informant Booty. The whole film really does revolve around Levy and Jackson's characters and interactions and it's just fun to watch. It's just plain and silly fun and worth seeing because it will make you laugh.

I was disheartened at the ridiculous STUPID, UNNECESSARY addition of a FART GAG to an otherwise well-written comedy. For the most part the comedy is not cheap, or dirty (Levy's lecture to Jackson on the "F" word is classic) and then they add in Levy's bad gas problem to cheapen the whole film and honestly drop this comedy an entire point in my books but it's done and said and they redeem themselves with other clever banter between them and a decent if not predictable storyline. Director Les Mayfield is a pro and has worked on some great projects and this might not be one of his best but it'll do well on DVD and you should check it out for a chuckle. It's not bad at all!! 7/10
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing special, but definitely watchable
bowmanblue11 January 2019
'Buddy cop' films have been around for as long as I have. Sometimes, they work, other times they don't. In short... simply having two people forced to work together who are basically complete opposites is not a recipe for success. Whether the film succeeds or sinks normally depends on the actors involved. And, I'm pleased to say that with the (perhaps unlikely?) pairing of Samuel L Jackson and Eugene Levy, it really does hit the spot.

Samuel L Jackson plays, well... Samuel L Jackson, while Eugene Levy plays - you guessed it - Eugene Levy. Neither really stray far from performances you've already seen them give numerous times, but - again - it works. Levy is a salesman who gets mixed up with an arms deal while having dinner in a café. Luckily, Jackson is on hand to step in and not just save him, but also sets him up as a supposed 'kingpin' that he can use to bring down one half of eighties supergroup Bros (or Luke Goss to be precise - a bad guys so generic, he'd fit right in to the Marvel Cinematic Universe!).

You may have guessed that a chatty and middleclass salesman is not the ideal person to play a dangerous criminal, but - yet again - it works. Or at least it works in terms of comedy. Yes, in real life Levy may have been gunned down within ten seconds into walking into a room with a load of criminals, but, here, they take him at his word.

There are some other minor subplots running alongside the main story, i.e. a branch of Internal Affairs are looking into Samuel L Jackson and he's also in the process of trying to patch things up with his ex wife and daughter. However, it's the two leads' show all the way. Their chemistry and banter elevates the film and makes it totally enjoyable. The bickering between the two is truly a sheer joy to watch as Levy's dry comebacks slowly wind Jackson up more and more. There's also plenty of swearing and some, moderate violence to go with the laughs, so it's more for an adult audience.

Samuel L Jackson has a wide range of movies under his belt, some big budget, others that feel almost 'straight-to-DVD.' This one sits somewhere between the two and is definitely worth a watch if you're a fan, or just like those kind of crime/comedies with a strong sense of mismatched central characters who have to overcome their personalities in order to reach a greater goal. A tale as old as time, but, if done right - and it is here - it's definitely worth an hour and a half of your time.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has its Moments but Mostly a Very Poor Comedy,
lesleyharris303 December 2013
The Man is a below average comedy movie with a predictable storyline with two good main cast members that don't end up doing well because of a huge lack of chemistry.There definitely were a few funny moments in this movie,but definitely not enough to make this a comedy I could watch again.I really like Samuel L Jackson,and he is definitely the best part of this movie,his character didn't bother me but Eugene Levys character had just as much, if not more, screen time,and his character was very irritating which would be the main part this movie was not very enjoyable.If your looking for a fun comedy for a laugh all the way through,the Man should definitely be avoided.

A tough undercover cop uses an innocent salesman in his bid to expose an international arms dealer
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Levy is "The Man" here, Goss must be "The Woman".
fedor812 October 2007
Sort of like "Midnight Run" but not nearly as good. Thanks to very good casting of Jackson and Levy, however, it is an amiable enough action comedy. No major laughs but quite watchable. Mediocre casting of these two roles would have sunk this movie beyond help, because the script doesn't have that much going for it.

However, casting Ferrer and Goss was a total blunder. Miguel is one of thousands of nepotists working in Hollywood, i.e. a talentless man, totally lacking in any charisma. His Daddy is Jose Ferrer, the actor, and his mother the terrible singer Rosemary Clooney. Yes, that makes Miguel the cousin of George Clooney, another bad nepotist actor, and as of recently world saviour and liberal doo-goodering flag-waver. ("I know how to solve the Darfur crisis, for I am George from the movies...") George is Rosemary Clooney's nephew and son of broadcast journalist Nick Clooney. It's all in the (Hollywood) family...

Goss plays a bad-a** criminal, which is preposterous casting. The effeminate features combined with those teeth as white as a polar bear's behind might remind you of someone... Goss? Does anyone remember that girl group, Bros, from the 80s? Actually, to be fair it was a boy-band, but everyone I know, including me, thought they were girls when they first saw their one-hit-wondering video and heard the high-pitched whining that was supposed to be singing. (It was just Goss experiencing the pains of losing a particular brand of virginity-losing.) When Jackson said that Levy was "his bitch", he must have confused him with Goss's character...

"When will I, will I be fa-mouuuuuus?"; so goes the little pop ditty Goss sang (or rather, squeaked) for the screaming teeny-boppers. Well, the answer to that is: you will be famous again when you make more movies. You just need to convince more producers that you are star material. The world needs more female-looking movie heroes/baddies; we just haven't got enough already!

So what does Goss's casting in an action comedy bode for the future? Does this mean Justin(e) Timberlake will be play a heavy in 10 years, chasing the likes of De Niro through the streets of Brooklyn? Most probably. Maybe Joey Fat-One from N'Synch will play an ex-marine in a PC drama by Reiner. Or maybe even... No, there is no "even". That's as bad as it can get, and will get.

Hollywood, goodbye! It's been a fun 100 years, but now you're dead. I guess I'll have to watch Japanese movies from now on; at least they make SOME effort...

If you want to see my extensive Hollywood Nepotism List, contact me by e-mail. Or you can go to http://rateyourmusic.com/~Fedor8 and check out my "TV & Cinema: 150 Worst Cases Of Nepotism" list.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
mr.levy near the peak of his best
ops-525359 June 2019
Well its a action comedy for sure, wher people by incident gets drawn into a web of undercover agents and weapon crimes. if you want to get the upperhand on a cop, well then use FLATULENS!!!

mr. levy does a good job in this film, and this doest stand back from his appearances in films like when he play the sales manager in ''serindipity'', dad in ''american pie'', and up against steve martin in several films. he reminds me of a parrot mocking around all the time.

so if you are having a boring day, then the grumpy old man can recommend ''the man''
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing quite we haven't seen before
Floated218 June 2018
Samuel L. Jackson stars as ATF agent Derrick Vann - a streetwise, Detroit-based, tough guy cop who doesn't trust anyone. A mastermind criminal has stolen a large amount of guns and other firepower from the ATF, and Vann's partner was killed in the process because he was probably in on it. Now, Vann has Internal Affairs breathing down his neck and accusing him of being an accessory, so he sets out to catch the thieves and retrieve the guns to clear his name. Vann establishes a sting operation to catch the thieves, but something goes awry. Along the way, we meet the character of Eugene Levy, playing a role very familiar to his character in the American Pie series.

The main problem with the film is that it isn't funny enough for a comedy and doesn't offer enough action for a typical buddy cop film. The chemistry between both leads isn't there (even if that's the point) and it becomes tiresome quickly. The film is also nothing quite original or something in which has not happened before. A positive in which has been mentioned is its quick running time of 83 minutes,which also shows that the director and writers really didn't have much to do here.
A Nice Laugh
damianphelps1 January 2022
The Man drink heavily from the well of cliches but manages to swallow every drop, Its totally predictable.

What makes the movie work? The charisma of the two leads and some genuinely funny moments.

I usually find it hard to watch comedies as so many of them disappoint but The Man didn't let me down :)
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
odd pairing
kairingler4 June 2014
Samuel L. Jackson and Eugene Levy of all people are paired together,, don't ask me why,, I honestly didn't see much chemistry between the two of them. Samuel can be funny, but he's better at action. A dentist attenting a convention is caught up in the middle of an undercover-cop's investigation in Detroit, well the bad guys mistake our dentist for someone else and leads to nothing but pure mayhem,, the cop has to save his butt on more than one occasion,, but to catch the bad guys the dentist just has to keep assuming the role of the man who the bad guys think he is in order for the policeman to catch the bad guys. there are so good laughs in here, but on the whole, for me the two leads just don't seem to mesh that well.
Very funny
aharmas18 September 2005
Here comes a film, modeled after the incompatible relationship of "Midnight Run", but this one is actually funnier. What was unbearable and annoying in the other one, is hilarious here. Eugene Levy's non-stop talker drives a special agent insane with his constant reference to the goodness in people. It is refreshing how resilient his character is, managing to surprise us as the story moves on. In the end, we learn to understand his line about not ever meeting anyone who didn't become his friend. This character walks a thin line between annoying and endearing. You decide in the end.

It's a comedy of misunderstandings, with no unnecessary violent scenes or reckless car scenes full of wasteful special effects. The film works with the personalities of the main characters and the tribulations they encounter. It's got its heart in the right place and never pretends to be anything else but an amusing story between two very different people.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was funny but lame at the same time!
Sherazade13 March 2006
Sam Jackson plays an FBI agent whose partner has just been murdered in a gun-buy bust gone awry. With Internal Affairs on his tail, he struggles to clear his own name by trying to find the source of the gun supply. Enter Eugene Levy, an Innocent out-of-town salesman who is in town for a convention, when he is spotted reading the newspaper that Jackson's character is supposed to be reading during the meet and is mistaken to be "THE MAN". Throw in a few sentimental family scenes, gut-ripping funny back and forth Dialogue between Levy and Jackson, the stereotypical foreign bad guys and a police boss out of save one of her own and you've basically got the entire film.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated and Fairly Funny.
gangstahippie15 August 2006
Rated PG-13 for language, rude dialogue and some violence Quebec Rating:G Canadian Home Video Rating:14A(should be PG)

I just saw The Man on the movie network.This movie came and went in theaters but it had Samuel L Jackson in it and it seemed funny so I decided to check this film out.Samuel L Jackson is a great actor and this film is no exception.His acting is good.So is Eugene Levy's.The storyline is okay but this film does have some very funny moments and the chemistry between Samuel L Jackson and Eugene Levy was good.This film is about a cop who must team up with a salesman who talks too much in order to get revenge on the weapon dealers who killed his partner.The Man is a fairly funny film and I think its a good rental.

Runtime:83min

15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely Funny!!!
Pumpkin_Man16 August 2009
This movie is extremely hilarious! Eugene Levy and Samuel L. Jackson were awesome together! A dentist named Andy Fiddler is getting ready to go to Detroit to give a speech about dental tools. While in Detroit, he just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time, and some gun-dealers think he is a buyer. Agent Vann thinks Andy is robbing the store, because one of the bad guys gives Andy a gun. Throughout the film, Andy is annoying to Vann, who has no time for nonsense. Vann needs Andy to pretend he's wants to buy stolen guns in order to bring the bad guys down. Vann eventually begins to like Andy. If you love comedy, you'll love THE MAN!!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly stupid
xredgarnetx19 April 2008
Arguably a tad better than the similar PURE LUCK, THE MAN features Sam Jackson as an federal agent who somehow ends up playing nursemaid to salesman Eugene Levy, as they pursue the bad guys who have killed Jackson's partner. This one is a real groaner, with Levy playing the bespectacled fish out of water to Jackson's perpetually scowling lawman. A lot of time is spent in Jackson's car. A lot of time. I have to admit I could not sit through this one to the end, but then who could? Levy is mildly funny, but a little of him goes a long way, as he has proved in everyone of his movies. Jackson is picking up a paycheck, pure and simple. Skip THE MAN.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"He can't be any dumber than he looks"
mario_c25 May 2009
Following the old, and sometimes over repeated, Action/Comedy formula THE MAN adds something different to the genre. This combination between the Action Thriller and Comedy was done so many times before but not with a personality like Eugene Levy! He truly is "the man"! I mean this guy is unique in the way he represents the dumb guy, because he's genuine! No offense to the actor but like is said in the film "he can't be any dumber than he looks"! He really represents the dumb guy with simplicity, honesty, and mostly, veracity! I think this duet, Samuel L Jackson and Eugene Levy, worked out very well, because they are both excellent actors, and they represent very well the tough and the dumb guy respectively. And the combination of these two character genres, played by these actors, was amazing. At parts it was hilarious (the "He's my bitch" scene is remarkable!).

THE MAN is essentially action and fun but it also has one or two nice messages either. It's an entertaining film, made in Hollywood standards, but it's a very nice one in the genre.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.