Bolt (2008) Poster

(2008)

So delightfully entertaining!
Gordon-1113 January 2009
This film is about a dog that believes his friend is in grave danger. What he does not know is that he is the star of a reality TV show.

Who would have thought "Bolt" would be so thrilling and entertaining! The opening action sequence is rushed with adrenaline, it excites me even though it is an animation! The plot is intelligent, interesting and fun, the great thing is that it entertains without the need of any toilet or gross out humour. The super-bark and laser eye scenes are so hilarious, in a cute and mesmerising way. In addition, the transition of Bolt from being a super dog to realising he he has no powers is very well presented, that it makes me feel sad for Bolt. The animation is flawless, and all the characters in the animation are super cute. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of "Bolt", I think it makes perfect family entertainment.
57 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some of the most fun you'll have at the movies this year
Simon_Says_Movies8 January 2009
Standing out in the crowd is not always the easiest thing to accomplish for an animated film, but above what you may expect, against WALL∙E's heart, and Kung Fu Panda's slapstick hilarity, Disney's Bolt jumps forward as simply the most fun.

What makes Bolt noteworthy as well as a success on its own terms is its ability to take an age-old message about being true to oneself and finding your inner hero, and mesh it with a unique storyline that ends up spawning what, at first glance at least, seems wholly unique. Coupled with the expectedly bright crisp animation and stellar voice work, makes Bolt better yet, and a sure contender for best animated film at this years Oscars. Bolt also reclaims the original song work of Disney past, conceived between its also star and teen sensation Miley Cirus and Jenny Lewis and both compilations are memorable and sweet. Bolt never dives for the heartstrings, but scores its emotional points through well developed characters and thoughtful situations.

Bolt opens with a very entertaining action sequence in which Bolt (voiced to surprising effect by John Travolta) and his master Penny (Miley Cirus) are chased by well equipped super villains which plays out in the vein of The Incredibles. The genetically altered canine can leap helicopters in a single bound, melt evil with laser eyes and destroy villains at a whim with his super-bark. It is soon revealed that the action speckled lives of Penny and Bolt is in fact a hit television show, which requires Bolt to be kept in the dark about the nature of his existence; in brief, he actually believes he has super powers. But after a cliff-hanger ending of an episode in which Penny is taken, prompts Bolt to escape, determined to reclaim his friend and master. Embarking for the first time into the real world he haphazardly enlist the help of a very reluctant cat (Susie Essman) and a fan-boy err...fan- hamster named Rhino (Mark Walton) and along the way learns, and earns, the true stripes of a hero and that of friendship.

If everything I mentioned above was not enough to make you see this film, I can also reveal that Bolt is an at times hilarious send-up of the movie industry and genre clichés. Propelled by the hilarious supporting voice work including Malcolm McDowell, Dietrich Bader and James Lipton the blend of comedy, drama, and flat out entertainment value is unmatched. Also worth an enthusiastic mention are the pigeons that show up throughout the course of Bolt's adventure. Not only (as with all) is the voicing perfect but the physical humour implored is gut-busting, with the feathery fools twitching their heads in a pigeon- esquire way during their meetings with Bolt to glorious results.

If you have a chance, you obviously should see this film in 3-D, however it is still well worth your money viewed in a traditional medium. Bolt is a reminder of why Disney was such an animation juggernaut and it is pleasant to see them recapturing some of their past glory. And just in case you want it mentioned bluntly, yes there are many jokes that older patrons will more then enjoy. It is always refreshing to see an old formula revamped so effectively and certainly always welcome to see a movie that can put a smile on faces of all ages.

8.5 / 10.0

View all my reviews at Simon Says Movie Reviews: www.simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com
33 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly A Disney Film!
g-bodyl30 March 2009
I can't remember any film produced by Disney that I ever disliked. Every movie they made, whether it's Pixar or not, is a great movie to watch. Bolt is no exception. In fact, this brings Disney to another level.

This film is about the bonds of friendship between Bolt, a "superdog" and Penny, a young actress. Bolt thinks he has super powers but he he obviously does not. He realizes that when he takes a cross-country trek with a mangy cat and a weird hamster to save his human companion.

I guess you could say the voiceovers are great. John Travolta and Miley Cyrus certainly did a good job.

I liked the music in this film. I shouldn't be surprised because Travolta did star in Grease thirty years ago. The duet with Cyrus is a great song.

This movie deserved to win some bigtime awards. The only reason this did not happen because Wall-E overshadowed this film.

This is one of the best Disney animated films this decade. Actually, most of them are great animations. Anyway, I rate this film 10/10.
46 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A VERY fun movie for old and young alike
NightBiker15 November 2008
Its an animated movie about a dog. GIVEN, its a 'kids' movie. Unlike many animated movies, the dialog isn't full of innuendos or 'hidden' humor that only adults would 'get'. Its easily understood by kids, the animation is top-rate (as would be expected) and the characters are engaging and easy to enjoy. I admit that even though I love animation, I went to this sneak preview with a few misgivings. The trailers didn't look all that exciting, and I didn't expect to see anything I hadn't already seen. On one hand, I was right. The animation WAS very good, but nothing that hadn't been done before. But on the other hand I was pleasantly wrong. The formula works perfectly for Bolt. It was fun, didn't have any 'dull' spots, and while my theater was filled with a fairly consistent mix of children and young teens, and a relative smattering of adults, everyone seemed to enjoy it. Laughter was pretty consistent among the old and young, and at the end of the flick I heard something I rarely get to experience in theaters these days: applause. Granted, the adults were the ones applauding, and I joined in enthusiastically. The wife and I agree that this was one movie where we felt we got more than our dollars' worth. Thats a rare treat. Bolt did not disappoint on any level -and will find a spot in our library when the DVD eventually hits market. I fully expect this movie to do very well.
169 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Easily my favorite Disney film, and perhaps my absolute favorite movie of all time
Apemangalore14 February 2009
The 2000s have not been very kind to Walt Disney Animation. While there has been the occasional Emperor's New Groove or Lilo and Stitch, the majority of their films from this decade have been rather mediocre (most notably 2005's Chicken Little, which - ironically - remains the studio's highest-grossing film of the 2000s). With that said, I initially had some doubts about Bolt, despite hearing that it would be Disney Animation's first film supervised by Pixar founder John Lasseter. The surprisingly positive reviews posted shortly before the film's release convinced me to buy a ticket. Thankfully, I was forced to eat my words; welcome back, Disney.

The film revolves around Bolt, a white German Shephered who has spent his entire life on the set of a TV show in which he portrays a "superdog". As a result, he believes that the events on film (and his super powers) are real. When he is accidentally shipped from his Hollywood soundstage to New York City, he embarks on a cross-country journey to reunite with his owner and co-star, Penny. Along the way, Bolt teams up with a jaded alley cat named Mittens and a TV-obsessed hamster named Rhino who also happens to be an extreme Bolt fanboy.

First of all, the effects in this movie are unbelievable. Everything in the movie looks so realistic and yet doesn't contradict with the animated cartoon-esquire characters. Also, while Bolt is obviously the star of the movie, the real comedy comes from his unlikely companions. In fact, my favorite character of the bunch is Mittens the cat, voiced excellently by Susie Essman. Very seldom do I hear/see a character and say "I can't imagine anybody doing a better job playing him/her", but Essman really brings a lot to this already memorable character. And though I found him to be pretty irritating at first, some of the best lines in the movie come from Rhino the hamster.

Lastly, in one of the opening scenes we see Bolt as he is in the TV Show to set the understanding of Bolt's world. Seriously, that was made of awesome. The scene was action packed and full of excitement. I would watch the show that Bolt is in. If I had to have a complaint, it would be that it takes some ideas from several other films (such as Homeward Bound, Toy Story, and The Truman Show). That said, it still manages to feel like its own film, and with grace.

With terrific animation, an incredibly heartwarming story, and some of the most endearing characters I've ever seen on film (animated or otherwise), Bolt has not only become my favorite Disney film (Pixar included), but perhaps my absolute favorite movie of all time. It feels strange saying that, especially considering that I didn't even expect to like the film, but I simply can't think of a movie that I've loved more. It's also one of the very few films that manages to bring me to tears every time that I watch it, and when a movie is able to affect me on that kind of level, it automatically becomes a winner.
84 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slight but very charming
planktonrules26 September 2009
The plot concerns a dog (Bolt) who doesn't realize that his entire life is just a TV show. So, when he accidentally gets lost in the real world, he cannot understand why his super-powers have disappeared. And so, until he meets a wise and worldly cat, he flounders--unable to figure out how he got there or how to get back to the little girl he loves.

This is not the deepest story I have ever seen for a computer animated movie, but it was quite charming and fun--something that many other family movies could emulate. In fact, compared to previous Disney-produced CGI movies (other than those from the separate Pixar unit), BOLT is a significant improvement--both in story and in animation quality. If you don't believe this, just try watching CHICKEN LITTLE some time--it lacks the charm and universal appeal of BOLT. In other words, CHICKEN LITTLE was purely for very little kids--adults would mostly be bored by the film. MEET THE ROBINSONS was a bit of an improvement, but with BOLT I could finally enjoy the movie along with my kids.

Fun, well-animated and different. While not exactly a must-see, this is a very good film.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come on guys!
doomedmac26 March 2021
Bolt is a fun movie! It's not harmful or offensive and it's got some heart and genius emotion. Lighten up!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bolt brings back true Disney
radioactive_man219 November 2008
I have been anticipating the release of Bolt for several months. I had an opportunity to see a screening of it and it exceeded all my expectations. Bolt is a wonderful movie with a good story and heart, something that Pixar has done well but Disney has struggled with. I believe the addition of John Lasseter to Disney Animation has made a significant impact on the quality and continuity of this film. Yes, it is CGI. You may ask, "Why is Disney doing CGI when Pixar already does?" All the studios are doing CGI right now. I have been very impressed with Pixar's CGI detail, however the detail in Bolt is even better. Creating a dog with fur that gets dirty, wet, wind-blown and looks real is very impressive (at least it is to me). In addition to better detail, the color and light of this film is so true to life, you'll think it's the real thing.

I laughed, cried, and was on the edge of my seat. Disney has created some lovable characters who will definitely win the hearts of millions. Congrats to the entire Disney Animation studio, well done.
169 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun action packed Disney adventure
jonconnormustlive-462983 December 2018
Bolt follows a canine actor known for playing a super hero on a TV show, he is supported from his owner and must find his way back to her, all while believing he truly has super powers.

Bolt is loads of fun! There are lots of creative action scenes, plenty of funny jokes, and even some emotional scenes. Bolt has the makings of a Disney classic, but it does come up a little short of the usual Disney magic.

Firstly, the story lacks depth, the story basically tells itself in the first 30 minutes, then fuels the rest with action, comedy and drama. Secondly Miley Cyrus proved to be an annoying choice for voicing one of the main characters, not only is she an ear-sore, but she struggles to express different emotions vocally, her voice feels fake and just detracts from the overall film.

Luckily there's still plenty good in Bolt, it's definitely a great choice for a family friendly action comedy!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not quite a Disney classic, but one of Disney's better films of the 00s
TheLittleSongbird12 April 2011
I have been a big Disney fan all my life. After quite a solid Renaissance, with only Hercules and Pocahontas lacking that extra Disney magic, the Disney movies of the 00s have been mixed. Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch were great, on the other hand Home on the Range and Chicken Little were forced, predictable and forgettable.

Bolt did have me interested, but I wasn't as enthused with the initial casting of Miley Cyrus, who I can't stand. Actually in the movie, she does okay and her character is quite cute.

While it is far from amazing and far from a Disney classic like Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, The Lion King, Bambi and Sleeping Beauty, Bolt is one of the better Disney movies of the 00s. It does have its rushed and predictable spots, especially with the ending, and the human characters excepting Penny aren't as appealing and aren't given as much attention to detail as they ought to have done.

But what does compensate are some stunning animation with excellent character design, amazing colours and beautiful background art, a rousing soundtrack, a fast-paced and heart-warming story overall and witty scripting. The voice work is top notch, while John Travolta is suitably eloquent as the title character the real plaudits go to Susie Essman as the best character of the movie Mittens and Malcolm McDowell as Dr.Calico.

In conclusion, a surprisingly enjoyable family movie and one of the better Disney efforts to come out so far in this millennium. 7.5/10 Bethany Cox
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Locked Door
tedg11 January 2009
This is a children's film in the modern mold. That means it has to have cinematic values that effect and impress, and at the same time sport an acceptable message. Usually it about the value of family and finding self; here it is both. That means that these films have a built in bicameral tension, one foot in the future, danger, adventure and the other in manufactured notions of domestic comfort.

Regular readers know that I am a student of folded narrative, a simple example being what we have here: a film world within a filmed "real world." There are all sorts of narrative advantages that result from this device and they seem to work better when the film is animated. Something about acknowledged abstraction. The tip-off is in the first seconds where you see that the girl is redheaded.

Supposing you can tolerate or are immune to the dangerous "message," this will be great fun.

There's a sort of metastory here, like that one of fifty years ago when Disney changed the nature of cinema everywhere. Here it is Pixar — and specifically John Lassiter, changing film AND Disney.

Pixar has three signatures; you can see them all here plus a quote.

The first is the obvious: the ability to render and move three dimensional characters in ways that more acutely convey the dramatic effects. All of these ways have their origin in ordinary theater well before film. But here they are engineered to be conveyed in ways impossible with real humans.

Pixar was the first and for a long time the only animation studio to actually worry about the story. Disney now in this does as well.

Pixar still is the gold standard for experimenting with the use of space. I mean that both in the sense of framing the scene physically and with the camera. The combination of the two is especially advanced. As with the acting, the goal is to do things that work and enhance the goals of the narrative, but which are not physically possible with "real" sets and cameras. You can see that used here, especially in the movie-within chase scenes at the beginning, which notably are more extreme than the rest in all three of these values.

Quite apart from the general Pixar influence, you can see it in each of the three script teams.

The basic script team owns the story with the pretty sophisticated notions of folding and redheads.

The comic script team owns the gerbil. He's probably a quarter of the film and 80% of the laughs. You can see his importance in the folding as well: when you do something as here (where one character is "bolted" in/into two folds), you need to have an observer who similarly spans the two. Hence the gerbil. But then he was turned over to the comic team.

You can also see the influence of a third team, which I am sure came from Pixar. They own the pigeons. There are three main groups of three, plus others scattered around. Their rendering and motion can be traced all the way back to "For the Birds." All their jokes are Pixar in-jokes. All their mannerisms are more nuanced, and I imagine that they were actually used in educating the Disney crowd. In true selfreferential style, they left references in.

For instance, when we first meet some pigeons we see the theatrical personalities in their head cocking. Then they talk about it and instruct Bolt in how to hold his head (to extricate from a fence). Later, we see a similar tutorial from the cat to the same character for begging. Students of animation will know this as an exercise to move Disney away from their similar keynote scene in "Lady and the Tranp" of 50 years ago.

There's the Nemo joke, tied to aliens and when we first see aliens in the "new" film within, it uses a shot taken, yes, from Nemo which in turn is patterned after Ridley Scott's film. Not "Alien" exactly but "Bladerunner."

Check out how the "moviewriter" pigeons send one off to get whole grain (which is not whole wheat) and how that is mirrored in the all-important introduction of Mittens.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tough to rate, it's cute but very unoriginal
Smells_Like_Cheese26 November 2008
Bolt, I honestly don't know what to say about this film because honestly I feel bad about saying this, I love Disney so much, but this movie didn't do anything for me. First off this was one of the strangest casts, I do like John Travolta, but I just couldn't see him as Bolt for some reason, his voice just threw me off completely. Miley Cyrus, this movie became more about her and I think they were just trying to attract her fans to this movie. The only thing that I really did enjoy from Bolt was the hamster, Rhino, he was just absolutely cute, he could have been annoying, but he's like the ultimate fan that loves you so much that it turns around and you like him right back. The animation, it was decent, 3-D is just becoming so huge this year I think. The story is just The Truman Show with a dog, it also kind of reminded me of Homeward Bound, so this is something we've seen before.

A super-dog named BOLT, whose days are filled with danger and intrigue-at least until the cameras stop rolling. When the star of a hit TV show is accidentally shipped from his Hollywood sound stage to New York City, he begins his biggest adventure yet-a cross-country journey through the real world to get back to his owner and co-star, Penny. Armed only with the delusions that all his amazing feats and powers are real, and the help of two unlikely traveling companions-a jaded, abandoned house cat named Mittens and a TV-obsessed hamster named Rhino -Bolt discovers he doesn't need superpowers to be a hero.

While I wasn't into this movie, I think it's a great family film, especially for the kids, it's a guaranteed fun time for them. The characters are cute, but it's Rhino and Mittens who steal the show. I don't know about you, but I think this movie had a little bit of a rip off from Animaniacs, those pigeons in the beginning reminded me too much of the Goodfeathers and Mittens reminded me a bit of Rita, if you've seen the show, you know what I'm talking about and will agree with me. Bolt is worth the look, but I'm not that impressed with it, watch it with the kids and for the fun 3-D stuff. The story is just a little unoriginal but the characters make it worth your while.

38 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grande
Iulians200215 November 2008
I was really not expecting much, was looking to one of those generic "newgen" 3D animations but, oh, I was so wrong. I can easily say Bolt is pretty much at par with Wall-E, the 2 21th century animations that conquered my heart.

Few times I laughed, few times I had watery eyes, and it's impossible not to adore the characters and be at the edge of the seat as you follow the story. Also really loved the "authentic" finale with Penny and Bolt.

The Real D (my first ever 3D glasses movie too) was the cherry on the cake with the astonishing graphics.
115 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixa- I mean Disney at its finest
Vartiainen5 June 2016
Lets face it, the early 00s were not kind on Disney. The Renaissance was over, their loyal target audience was in college and thus not interested, Pixar was doing the whole CGI thing way better than them and all in all they seemed to have lost their touch. Until this film. Oh sure, it's still very much like something Pixar would have done and a bit missing on that Disney magic, but it's still a very good film that allowed them to get back on their feet.

And when I say it's something Pixar would have done, I mean that in a good way. Kind of. The plot features a dog, raised to believe he has genuine superpowers, suddenly being separated from his loyal owner Penny and now having to make his way back across USA to reunite with her. All the while having to learn that the world does not in fact play by his rules. Sounds like a Pixar movie, doesn't it. But then again, Pixar is a great film studio so that's not exactly an insult.

And the story and the characters are very good in their own right. Bolt, the eponymous main character, is very gruff and no-nonsense, but also delightfully naïve about the realities of the world, while Mittens, his new cat sidekick/helper/kidnap victim is pretty much the exact opposite. And then there is Rhino, a hamster trapped in a plastic ball and also one of Bolt's biggest fans. Rhino is awesome.

And yeah, it's kind of silly that I keep complaining about the fact that it's so much a Pixar film. It does make it seem a bit artificial in a way, because you know that they're copying much of their good material. But it's a good film, when all is said and done. Do see it, if you have the chance, is what I'm saying.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Incredible Journey...of a Dog, a Cat and a Hamster
Chrysanthepop25 January 2009
After numerous duds, Disney has finally brought some quality entertainment on screen. Perhaps John Lasseter had a lot to do with it. The animation is similar to that of Pixar, detailed, vivacious and colourful. The story moves at a steady pace and even though it isn't anything new, it has its own charm and the adventurous feel. I loved the characters Bolt, Mittens and Rhino. They form a very entertaining trio. Travolta, Essman and Walton are great together. The Penny character is clichéd and Miley Cyrus's bad voice acting doesn't help much but thankfully she's not the main lead. I am also additionally glad that none of her songs appeared in her soundtrack other than the one she terribly sang with Travolta. The pigeons were laugh-out-loud hilarious. I loved how they moved their heads in a darting motion. If one took notice, the three pigeons in the beginning move differently from the three that appear in the end. 'Bolt' is the Disney movie that one has been waiting for. It's probably been ages since they have had a winner (the last one being 'Lilo and Stitch'?) and it's good to see them back with something solid.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bolt is a fine computer-animated feature from Walt Disney Pictures
tavm27 November 2008
Though my friend who works at a movie theatre had already seen this, he agreed to watch it again with me. This was a thrilling, heartwarming, and funny Disney-computer-animated movie for me. All the voices were great from John Travolta and Miley Cyrus to the rest. This story of a German Shepard who lives a "Truman Show" life until he accidentally escapes and meets a cat and a hamster is entertaining from beginning to end. Do yourself and your family a favor and take everyone you know to watch this highly entertaining flick. Not quite Pixar-quality but pretty close. Hope it does even better with the kids out of school this Thanksgiving weekend. So what are you waiting for, just go!
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bolt out the door to see or purchase this one, it is very fun & cute
inkblot1110 December 2008
Bolt the dog (voiced by John Travolta) is the star of an espionage television series. His owner, teenager Penny (voiced by Miley Cyrus) is his co-star. On the show, Bolt possesses "super" powers and is able to stop trucks with his paws, start explosions with his "stare" and outrun the bad guys. However, he lives on the set, in his own trailer, and never leaves the premises, not even to go home for the weekend with Penny. Consequently, he is unaware that he is an ordinary dog but, instead, he truly believes he is a superdog. Therefore, on the day that two pestering cats entice him to leave his trailer, he finds himself out in the "real" world. After a mishap, he ends up in a delivery truck to New York City, far away from Hollywood. Still thinking his special skills will get him home pronto, he is in for a rude awakening. But, through the help of a stray cat named Mittens (Susie Essmann) and a hamster named Rhino (Mark Walters), he begins the long cross-country journey. Will he make it? This film was cute and fun, with very nice animation and a clever script. There is a touch of violence, especially at the beginning, for the world of the superhero is rarely without danger, even on a television show. So, perhaps the film is unsuitable for the very youngest viewers. However, the cast is wonderful, with Travolta doing an excellent job as the voice of Bolt. Cyrus, too, is touching in her role as Penny, while Essmann and Walters are really superb additions to the film. All of the lesser characters are voiced very nicely, too, especially Malcolm McDowell as the pipes of the main heavy. The animation is colorful, skillful and very realistic, resulting in an attractive movie. Then, too, the score is quite fine, with Travolta and Cyrus doing a duet near the film's end. All in all, if you care about quality films for families, bolt out the door and arrange a viewing of Bolt. Everyone will be yapping with delight as the film runs its course.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would Our Pets Still Love Us If They Knew The Truth?
BabelAlexandria29 April 2021
My kiddos liked this a lot, better than some other middling Disney movies from this era, like Home on the Range. They enjoyed the like-able main characters, including the cat; the exciting cross-country adventure; and the bond between the girl and her dog that held the movie together. So the basics were well done, as was the animation. Still, I thought it's most interesting as an allegory - Bolt is deliberately fooled by humans, and overestimates its own self importance (and, by extension, the importance of her owner Penny); similarly, the agents and producers overestimate their own performance. But once the illusion has been shattered, Bolt is able to still find meaning in his companionship with Penny. As new rabbit owners, we realize that this is more a dog thing. Rabbits, for example, are realistic like cats, but less cynical: they expect food from us, and love to play with us as long as we keep bringing it!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Canis familiaris
Jay_Exiomo26 November 2008
Story-wise, there's nothing remarkably new about "Bolt," Walt Disney Animation's latest feature to hit the screens, but considering its patchy recent filmography, it's certainly a step to the right direction for the animation studio, now headed by Pixar-meister John Lasseter. While it's far below the sophisticated narratives and well-drawn characters of Pixar classics such as "Toy Story," "The Incredibles" and this year's "Wall-E," "Bolt" nevertheless charms its way to the screen with its eager-to-please lead character and diverting visuals.

Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) is the canine star of a TV show where he plays a superdog whose lifelong mission is to protect his "person", Penny (Miley Cyrus), from the evil forces around them. Problem is, as the creators of the show fervently believe that the show's success lies mainly in its realism, they have gone to great lengths to lead Bolt into believing everything is real and everything seems to be going well.

That is until a studio mishap has Bolt improbably shipped across the country from Hollywood to New York. With the help of Mittens (Susie Essman), an alley cat who strangely knows more about dog ways than Bolt himself, and Bolt-fanatic hamster Rhino (Mark Walton), he goes on a long cross-country tripping to find his way back to Penny.

Byron Howard and Chris Williams direct a calculated script by Williams and Dan Fogelman where nothing is terribly special, especially if you're not a dog-loving tween girl (I do love dogs, though), though it has enough sensitivity (that's Lasseter working) up its sleeve for some unashamedly touching moments. And with its cheery visuals, lively characters and a breezy pace, it also has enough going for the adults as well as the kids. It's safe harmless stuff.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A Standout But Entertaining
damianphelps17 April 2021
This is pretty formulaic but its well made and offers enough fun moments to make the movie an enjoyable time.

I like animated movies, you can tell how much by the number of times I will watch a particular title. Shrek for example I have watched countless times and continue to love it.

Bolt I have watched just the once.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The end of an era
briancham19942 June 2020
This film marks the end of a short era in the 2000s when Disney was experimenting with ideas that departed from their classic fairytale formula. This era has hits and misses - Bolt is somewhere in between. Bolt almost feels like a Dreamworks film in its style and it's definitely not bad but nothing memorable either. The premise is definitely unique, I'll give it that.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely entertaining - especially in 3D
aes6413 November 2008
We got the opportunity to see this in a sneak preview in 3D and were very entertained. Great plot, great animation and the 3D was amazing. Sometimes felt like Bolt's head was towering over the audience. Good thing he didn't drool!

All the characters were great. The pigeons were great comic relief. It's amazing the amount of detail the animators put in. Watching the way the pigeons moved their heads was entertaining in itself. Rhino and Mittens were also hilarious while having more depth as well. A lot of Rhino's great lines were in the preview but didn't exactly play out in the story the way they seemed like they were going to. Even with that, he was hilarious. Obviously the plot is predictable but it's a very fun story. We were laughing out loud throughout this movie.

Skip Bond and see Bolt.
91 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good day guaranteed!
jemps9187 December 2008
Ridonculous! Bolt has the audience in the pad of his paw from beginning to end.

A white American shepherd who plays a hit TV series' superdog hero, Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) leads a Truman Show life: he thinks his superpowers are real and believes that his sci-fi adventures with his person Penny (Miley Cyrus) are serious. When Bolt accidentally strays from the confines of his studio lot world, he embarks on a real-life quest to find his person and protect her from the evil Dr. Calico. He gets into true-to-life troubles himself, encountering genuine characters along the way: a trio of pigeons, Mittens the alley cat (Susie Essman) and fan-hamster Rhino (Mark Walton). Ally McBeal's Greg Germann provides the voice for Penny's scheming Agent, while The Drew Carey Show's Diedrich Bader is the voice for the Veteran Cat.

It may be executive-produced by Pixar's John Lasseter and has tinges of his comedy stylings, but Bolt is fully a Disney creation. Having Lasseter on board ensures that the adults in the audience will probably have an even better time than the kids. The animation is impressive, as it delivers the drama and emotion, as well as the laughs and the Fully Awesome action! It would just be really difficult not to smile and swoon at Bolt and his sidekicks. Watch it and have a good day guaranteed!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't Get Into The Characters Or Voice Of The Dog
ccthemovieman-115 April 2009
I find most animated films of late to be very entertaining. The best are the ones with a lot of humor. There are exceptions to that ("The Polar Express," for example) but humor seems to go hand-in-hand with animated feature films.

I say all of the above because this Disney animated film, "Bolt," wasn't too funny. Thus, at least for me, I didn't think this was involving and entertaining enough for me to care about the story much after the first half hour. I didn't find the characters appealing nor the story and I thought the graphics were overrated.

I disagree with most of the national film critics who thought this was great. "Penny," voiced by Miley Cyrus, was a bit aggravating and John Travolta doing the dog's voice was just too weird. Maybe I'm just not used to hearing Travolta's voice on animated films, but it just did not sound right here. It would up being a distraction from the story, and I see other reviewers here agree with me on that one.

They lost me early on when the dog was shipped a long way in a box with no room to breathe, no air holes, and yet.....no problem. Hey, I know it's just fiction and a fun, animated movie but let's have some sense of realism on things like that.

I'm normally easy to please with animated stuff, so it's unusual for me to be disappointed as I was with this one.
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Electrically entertaining from Trabolta
dfranzen703 August 2009
In Bolt, a TV-show canine (John Travolta), who doesn’t know he’s on a TV show and therefore has no super powers, races across the country to find his TV girl-owner (Miley Cyrus), convinced she’s in the clutches of the evil Dr. Calico, the bad guy on the show. Aided by a cynical alley cat and a hamster in a transportation ball, Bolt must fight the forces of gravity and the other laws of physics to be reunited with his Penny in this sweet, charming Disney animated film.

It’s encouraging to see a good Disney-only animated film for a change. Bolt does what an animated movie should do – it has a quick pace, it’s humanistic, it’s funny, and it’s adventurous. Oh, and there’s character growth. It’s no surprise that the intended audience – little kids, not me – found this entertaining, on average.

Bolt, an American White Shephard, escapes from his trailer on the set of his hit television series and finds himself shipped to the East Coast. Thinking that his Penny is in imminent danger from the man with the green eye (played with the usual maniacal glee of Malcom McDowell), Bolt tries to use his super powers – super speed, the ability to shoot lasers from his eyes, a Super Bark – to rescue her. Of course, since he’s just a normal dog, these super powers don’t work, but they do lead to some hilarious physical comedy.

One departure this movie offers is the casting of unknowns in key roles. Mittens the Cat is played by Susie Essman, and the scene-stealing Rhino the Hamster is voiced by Mark Walton. Who and who? And yet both actors are perfect for the roles. Sometimes it pays to cast someone based purely on their fit for a character, rather than hiring a “name” actor and letting their celebrity overtake the character completely. Which is how Disney did it for years and years; when the studio enjoyed its resurgence in 1989 with The Litter Mermaid, it cast Buddy Hackett amid character actors, and the landscape of animation changed. Next thing you know, you had Robin Williams in Aladdin and James Earle Jones in The Lion King. Not that these were bad casting choices, but they represented a change from olden times, for the most part.

Travolta is excellent as the intrepid, resilient, and initially deluded Bolt, a canine who learns that his super powers come from within him. Why, he had the power to save Penny all along! All he had to do was click his heart together, and.. Oh, never mind. The point is, Bolt learns that help can come from unlikely sources (a cat!), and comic relief is always welcome (a hamster!) And Cyrus – who has limited screen time, compared with Travolta – is spot on as the innocent Penny, who pines for her lost pup. In fact, if it weren’t for an extended musical montage (sung by Jenny Lewis), this would have been a great movie instead of merely a very good one, but you can’t please everyone.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.