American Dad! (TV Series 2005– ) Poster

(2005– )

Is to Family Guy what Futurama is to the Simpsons
ExpendableMan9 May 2006
On first glance, American Dad looks like a carbon copy of Seth MacFarlane's "other" show Family Guy. The animation is near identical, the lead character Stan Smith's knuckle headed optimism and in-your-face presentation doesn't so much recall Peter Griffin as grab you by the throat and scream in your face and Roger the alien and Klaus the goldfish work in much the same way Stewie and Brian do in the previous show. So far so very familiar, as though MacFarlane dressed up his fourth FG series with different characters when it was initially cancelled so as to stay on the air but stick with it, and American Dad will eventually reveal itself as a superior cartoon to it's predecessor.

Sure, the humour is once again a mixture of insightful witticisms, biting satire and odd bursts into toilet humour but rather than the chaos of Family Guy where the plot seems to revolve round the jokes, here the opposite is true. The flashbacks are almost totally absent and instead each episode features a structure and character development that is normally missing from the first show. Okay some of the episodes fall a bit flat but nevertheless, there are considerably more hits than there are misses and when it's good, it's brilliant. "A Smith In The Hand" for example is in this writer's humble opinion, the funniest thing MacFarlane and his team have ever produced.

What's more, American Dad is considerably more politically-orientated and everything you could conceive about the USA's current state of fear mongering and distrust is put beneath a microscope and parodied mercilessly. Stan Smith is a boorish depiction of all that paranoia rolled into one and some of his outbursts and overreactions are hilarious. Take the scene where he locks up his new Arab neighbours in his back garden for instance in a moment that scarily recalls the nightmarish conditions of Guantanamo bay yet still manages to be side splittingly funny or any of his numerous conceited one-liners ("only women have emotions son, they come from their ovaries").

Only time will tell if American Dad can outlive the shadow of it's far more successful big brother, but like the relationship between Futurama and the Simpsons beforehand, it's often a far funnier and considerably more focused show that deserves a wider audience. Highly recommended.
136 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Ahead of its time...
chirsa27 October 2005
I love this show. It's such a relief to see a show like "American Dad," especially on Fox. It can't be helped that some people are too unconscious to understand the desperately needed, hilarious criticism that it offers. It's "Sullivan's Travels" meets "Dr. Strangelove," rolled up into an animated series. Yeah, it's probably too smart for the masses, but we have to start somewhere. If it's marketed like "The Family Guy," during DVD release, then hopefully it will later be recognized for its absolute brilliance. Speaking of brilliance, airing the first episode immediately after the Super Bowl was unquestionably the most impeccably timed programming in the history of television. Did I mention that I love this show? That I need this show for sustenance?
70 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wasn't expecting too much. I underestimated this show.
Stonedwithoutdope10 November 2005
I was expecting this to just be a family guy clone with different character, This is more than that, its hilarious. The characters and humor are on the same sort of level as family guy but Seth McFarlane managed to work his magic and create a whole new different level of humor and wit for this show which sets itself apart from family guy.

A secret service FBI agent, prone to overreacting must find a way to use his skills to help his family and their new illegal alien housemate with basic troubles in life. Problem is sometimes it proves too much with hilarious results.

Remember this isn't a kid's show and I guess thats what makes this and family guy so special. They can put in all the added toilet humor it needs and the writers seem to know how to do it perfectly. The characters are great but the main character Stan Smith stands out above all the rest (With their alien friend coming in a close second). Anyone who wants a laugh, drop everything and watch this.
69 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
When a show has a joke about STAR WARS KID its obviously genius
Johnny Darko25 September 2005
For those who know little about this show, don't believe the ignorant bashers. The sad truth (i really mean sad) is that the jokes, and plot lines in American Dad are much more interesting, humorous, and intelligent than any new Family Guy episode. I loved Family Guy. I say loved because it seems to be the one that has fallen prey to recycled humor and an obvious detachment from its original creator. I don't know if lackluster Stanford grads were picked to write new Family Guy, or its just been watered down for mass consumption, but its return is so stale that MacFarlane needed another outlet source for his genius. It is American Dad. It has the same energy that pre-cancelled Family Guy episodes have. Along with that, it also has the same number of people disliking it for its dry sick humor, and overall intelligence. The fact that the show has generic characters is a joke itself for those who may not have noticed. Its recycled Family Guy lines aren't out of lack of creativity. They too are inside jokes for those who know all the Family Guy lines. If you are a true fan of what made Family Guy great, then American Dad should fill the void of what it now lacks. Another show ahead of its time for MacFarlane, which I hope gets cancelled and becomes rare since its current issues are far too developed for most people with Neilson Ratings boxes in their homes.
114 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
American Dad lays out Family Guy? You bet.
Zeke Pliskin28 September 2006
I always liked Family Guy. What it lacked in plot it made up for in outrageous non-sequitur humour and Peter Griffin's ubiquitous laugh. The juxtaposition of random jokes and standard plots made for some hilarious moments. But after season four it got old. It was a great one-dimensional concept while it lasted, but the appeal of a show with wafer-thin plots just to produce set-pieces can't last forever. Enter American Dad and his huge chin.

It started off pretty good. The thirteen episodes on the first DVD (technically not the whole first season if the production numbers are anything to go by) get stronger and more likable as they go by. 'A Smith In The Hand' which satirises the supposed taboo of masturbation and 'All About Steve' which demystifies geek culture are personal favourites.

Then it got better - MUCH better. Around the time of the episode 'It's Good To Be The Queen' things really started to come together. Seth knows how to draw his characters in ways that suit the initial ideas he had when he started the show and leaves plenty of opportunity for comedy as he fleshes them out. He's really got a feel for how to pace his episodes and how to write great stories, still retaining his trademark for outlandish humour. Certainly there are a few episodes in the whole run so far that are weak, but they are more than made up for by the best ones. Family Guy has more consistency but it doesn't have the sheer brilliance of American Dad when it's at it's best.

What we have here is an animated show that is nearly as strong as my personal favourite, Futurama. In other words, Seth MacFarlene's best work to date.
57 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Is To Family Guy What Futurama Is To The Simpsons
kyle-hannah25 July 2007
Seth MacFarlane proves he's not a one trick pony with his innovative follow up to the smash hit Family Guy. American Dad! is unfortunately misunderstood as a rip off of it's own predecessor but it is by far not. American Dad! is completely different to Family Guy the only similarities are the art and the amount of characters.

While Family Guy focuses on random humour and pop culture references American Dad! takes satirical aim at politics and has many qualities that make me prefer it over Family Guy. Unlike Family Guy, American Dad! follows one plot line and one sub plot without random things popping in and out. That already makes it extremely different from Family Guy which has lately been following 3 or 4 sub plots per episode with the random pop-ins. This show is great because it throws every stereotype and every exaggeration of a Rebublican and a Democrat and forces them to live in the same house together.

Again for those comparing it to Family Guy I will elaborate on the character differences. Peter Griffin is a pop culture obsessed dim wit while Stan Smith is an overly republican jerk who is racist, homophobic, and overly patriotic. Lois Griffin is a caring wife whose party girl side is always coming out while Francine Smith doesn't enjoy the spotlight and does basically whatever Stan tells her. Chris Griffin is a slow, stupid, lummox while Steve Smith is a sex crazed, nerdy teenager who o thinks he's cool. Meg Griffin is a lonely, near suicidal loser, while Haylie Smith is a pot smoking, liberal, who will save a cat before her father. Stewie Griffin is a possibly homosexual baby bent on world domination while Roger is a fruity, television addicted, alien who doesn't shut up. Brian Griffin is an alcoholic, witty dog while Klaus is a sex crazed, loud, obnoxious, German fish.

American Dad! has been pretty successful for the two seasons it's been on and i look very forward to watching it's third one this fall however due to the return of King Of The Hill and the moronic time-slot for The Sarah Connor Chronicles American Dad! will air Sundays at 7:30 which is dead air time and may face unfair cancellation next year hmmm just like Futurama...weird.
59 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
If you like Family Guy, you will probably like American Dad
hazysistersunshine3322 June 2014
Contains mild spoilers…My favorite Seth McFarlane movie is Family Guy, but American Dad is a great spin off. It's one of my favorite animated shows and I never miss an episode. Seth McFarlane is a comical genius and kind of a wacko. I've liked his other stuff too. I will probably watch anything he makes. This revolves around Stan Smith and his family. He works for the CIA. Other things about it are similar to Family Guy well as the type of humor. If you've seen Family Guy you know what I mean. If you like Family Guy, you will probably like this. Seth McFarlane has this type of humor that's kind of random and pop culture and he throws every joke in but the kitchen sink. You either love it or hate it. I love it, but Family Guy is still my favorite.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This is much better than family Guy
treysama4 July 2011
American dad is amazing. All the whimsical and creative lines they write all following the story line makes it great. Hate to compare it to family guy but it's jokes stay on track to what is happening and doesn't go off on random rants like family guy. Not sure how people are rating this lower but it just goes to show IMDb's scores tend to base on popularity. If you didn't notice big actor movies on here tend to score higher even if they are not very good. And a movie with unknown actors that may be a great movie but won't be scored as high based on popularity. Anywho off the subject American Dad is great. The Alien is outstanding and so is Stan. The only downfall, like all shows as the season progress it usually loses its greatness, the later seasons Stan isn't so CIA crazed pulling his gun out all the time and stuff. He's more office CIA then Crazy CIA Agent. Overall its great though. My favorite
38 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Incredible
elem_hunter31 October 2007
This has to be one of the best adult cartoons ever created. It's hard for me to compare them with Southpark. I think that in many aspects, American Dad is way better than Southpark. Probably because it addresses to a much larger public, while Southpark contains jokes that sometime require some background knowledge, before you can fully understand them. Even for non-Americans, this series are equally funny and enjoying. Great job! I recommend this to anyone who enjoys some good humour. Now we can only hope that the American Dad Seasons will be longer and longer (from what I know a season of American Dad has more episodes than any of its "rival" shows). Once again, outstanding work and I hope to see this continue in the future and become a traditional show (and maybe see it promoted in other countries as well).
45 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
American Dad is to Family Guy as Futurama is to The Simpsons
walken_on_sunshine26 May 2007
When The Simpsons got slow and started losing it's spark Matt Groening decided to focus ideas elsewhere and partnered up with David X Cohen to create Futurama which was expected by many just to be a lame rip off of The Simpsons however it was a smash hit and in my personal opinion is better than The Simpsons.American Dad! went through the exact same thing as everyone expected it to be Seth MacFarlane's Family Guy 2 but once again American Dad! is a huge hit and in my opinion better than Family Guy.We have the basic formulaic family set up the father,mother,brother, an sister but with the addition of an alien and a talking fish were talking a new spin on an old idea.The characters are absolutely amazing and original even better than Stewie or Peter Griffin.We have Stan the overprotective father who works for the CIA and is demeaning,racist,fascist,violent,overbearing,stubborn, and close minded basically a Republican exaggerated and blown way out of proportion.Francine is the semi ditsy mother who keeps to herself and is 100% comfortable being a housewife, she's soft and mothering but with an extremely psychotic side as well.Steve is the geeky teenage son who cares about nothing but boobs and Star Trek his father is ashamed of him as Steve is extremely nerdy.Hayley is liberal hippie daughter who is constantly doing weed,rebelling, protesting, and giving hypocritical speeches during the show basically your exaggerated Liberal blown out of proportion.Roger steals the show as the effeminate alien whom the family found at Area 51 and have been secretly keeping secretly in the attic, Roger is outrageously funny he' whiny, b*tchy, and addicted to TV basically a woman going through a middle aged crisis but in n alien body.Klaus has basically served more as a supporting character the family pet a German talking fish he serves his purpose with some good one liners but he for the most part just gets in the way and it's evident as he is more and more excluded in each episode.The show is nothing like Family Guy this is like Seth MacFarlanes South Park his show to voice his political and social commentary in an extreme over the top and offensive way.This show constantly makes fun of liberals and republicans and carries some of the wittiest and most laugh out loud hilarious lines in TV history not to mention Patrick Stewart as a lovable supporting character named Bullock.American Dad! is amazing political satire without the flashbacks, character similarities, and random humour of Family Guy.
21 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
American dad
joekabye2 March 2008
this show is actually as good as family guy it has unique comedy and everything it is one of the best shows ever made and it is good the first episode was quite funny then the second then the third i loved it i know its not a popular show but i like it is better than family guy and its one of the greatest show in the world and another thing i like the alien he is genius Seth mcflarine is genius i love his shows especially American dad of course better funnier and bigger than family guy it is one of the funniest show and it will always crack me up and all my friends like it too they think its funny when i show them it and klaws the fish he fancies Francine i mean a fish fancing a human that is unique!
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I find it much better than "Family Guy"
Eric Stevenson5 July 2016
People joke about how similar this is to Seth MacFarlane's other show in terms of characters, but it really is quite different. The biggest difference is that there are no cutaway gags. I mean, just watching this I really get a sense of much more of a story and an effort to make jokes relevant to a story. I think it's great how Seth Macfarlane has managed to make something unique, but still loyal to his own style. I also love how this show has a ton more ongoing story lines, especially with Jeff being stuck in space. I can only say that Sinbad has never been funnier. I feel more for these characters because it's a show that knows it should take itself more seriously.

It's another animated sitcom from Seth MacFarlane about a dysfunctional family, only with a talking goldfish and alien. The character Steve especially comes off as fairly realistic as he's more intelligent and has interesting friends. Yeah, half of them are mostly the same joke over, but it's still nice. Hayley is a pretty smart and free spirited girl who has nice arcs devoted to her. Roger (the alien) is one of the most insane characters I've come across and is mostly entertaining in his insanity even though it does make you wonder why the Smith family never punishes him. The show actually goes through changes as Hayley gains a husband. The jokes just seem better timed and the best part is how these characters really don't exist as mouthpieces for Seth Macfarlane's political views.

It's weird, because I think that was the whole intention of this show's creation. It actually ended up becoming distinctive in its own right. I really do praise the show for that. The laughs are more subtle and Francine is pretty hot, lol. Whatever your political allegiance, I recommend this. ***1/2
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A highly enjoyable comedy series
Connor Simmons1 August 2015
At first glance this show may look like a dodgy Family Guy copy but with different characters but it is far from that. American Dad focuses more on political humor and jokes that never fall flat. In a way it is Seth McFarlanes' Futurama. By this I mean its a show made by him that looks like his other show but has a completely different vibe. Fans of Family Guy constantly hate on this show because it has a different style of humour and tone. It still has curses, crude humor, violence and sexual references like Family Guy but focuses on making fun of political situations and current events. I say definitely check out American Dad if you want a nice satisfying half an hour of comedy. It is well worth watching.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This show will never bore you
bondblackberry17 September 2017
I am a South Park guy, but my friend introduced to Family Guy and recommended American Dad. I finished all the episodes in Family Guy, so tried American Dad. I was skeptical with alien and fish talking. I thought it is more for kids or teens, but I was wrong. First few episodes were okay. But wow you will love the show when you get used to what the characters are and what they think. You will love it. If you are a fan of Family guy or South Park, this show is for you. It is a shame that even Hulu doesn't have all the seasons. My favorite characters are Francine and Klaus (the fish). Francine is the normal housewife and Stan a typical CIA guy, who happens to be a conservative. Their daughter is a typical leftist liberal. To spice it up, they have a selfish alien. These characters really spice up with contradictions. You got to admit Klaus really makes you laugh with his usual lot of fun. I would highly recommend this show you will not regret it. It is just Family Guy plus.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It can't be called Canadian dad, because there aren't any dads in Canada.
AsifZamir4 December 2013
American Dad is an adult animated television series that tells the story of Stan Smith, his wife Francine and daughter Hayley, their son Steve and three roommates. These three roommates are very interesting unique characters including the family goldfish Klaus who is a man in a fish body and family Alien, Roger. Hayley's boyfriend Jeff is one of the roommates. There is an uncertainty if Hayley is really Stan's daughter but has been raised as his own in light of that fact. Stan's character is very masculine and can come across as being insensitive and inconsiderate. Francine often raves about wrongdoings in her family insisting on upholding family values. The show is mainly slapstick cartoon comedy and has no real life lessons, it's purely for entertainment but that's okay. - Asif Zamir
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Politically incorrect fun
4-Kane24 December 2005
Like Family Guy, American Dad is un-PC, but it was meant to be that way. American Dad is one of those shows that has grown on me. When it debuted, it occurred to me that it had the potential to become another successful prime-time cartoon series. So far, I am right.

When it comes to political stances, Stan Smith and his daughter Hayley are mutually exclusive. Stan is conservative, while Hayley is very liberal. It is fun to see such a conflict between the two characters. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how well parents and children get along with each other, arguments are inevitable.

If you are weary of any prime-time cartoons/comedies that you consider to be long in the tooth, American Dad is a welcome alternative.
31 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
American dad is awesome
checkiec29 October 2016
Like Family Guy this show found it's own identity when it first started. My favorite characters are Roger because of his multiple personalities and over the top craziness, Francine with her history of being raised by a Chinese family and also harboring a secret life of stealing valuable items for 20 years, and Steve's awesome singing voice and energetic attitude of bringing new stuff to the table when his family are bored. Stan, Hayley, and Klaus are interesting characters as well. Who doesn't want a gungho CIA agent, a hardcore liberal activist and a German guy trapped in a fish body? I do because I love this show to death after family Guy. I love both shows for different reasons but I love them for their common interests to make me laugh out loud and enjoy these awesome shows.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Absolutely Stunned
1babelfish7 February 2005
It is very hard for me to write something that does not praise the creators of Family Guy, but it must be done. I, along with many others I'm sure, was ecstatic with anticipation for this show. I was hoping for a show that was equally as funny as Family Guy, which could only be a good thing. How wrong I was. The aim of this show was to take on a political spin and generally poke fun at the government in contrast to being a plain funny show. This, in my opinion, is an opportune time for a politically satirical show. This and non-frequent jokes are the only difference from Family Guy. I was very put off by the unoriginality, each character has a counterpart in Family Guy. There is the oblivious,manly and dumb father. The sit-on-the-sidelines wife who is a homemaker and suppresses her feelings of how she hates her life. There is the daughter overwhelmed by angst and the awkward boy. Don't forget the witty and pompous character with a strange accent who is smaller than all the rest. Lastly, there is the stray creature that was taken in by the family who has an addiction to something.If you have seen either show you will understand what I mean. This show relies to heavily on using political humor, though that is the aim, it uses to much of it. Most of the jokes are unfunny and repetitive. It is trying to branch off clumsily from Family Guy,and a branch-off would most likely fail anyway. This was a failure waiting to happen and I knew it.
52 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Don't listen to these other gooners
I personally used to hate family guy, and i didn't watch it because i thought that it was a huge rip off of the simpsons. I then watched some of the later episodes and i thought that they were great. The plot was funny and original and i automatically wanted to watch more. As soon as i was told by my brother that there was going to be a new show made buy the guys that made family guy, i was looking forward to seeing the first episode. As soon as i saw it, I loved it! This was my kind of comedy! All these people say that it is racist, and sexist and all that crap, but its funny because that is the way that people in real life act. It almost exploits the modern way of life for the entertainment of the viewers, and if you cant accept that then you have no sense of humour! And as for the guy that said that it was all trash, how old are you? Are you like some 32 year old that watches lizzy whatever her name is in their parents basement? If so then you should stop watching cartoon network and start watching comedy central! American DAD 11/10!!!!! *****
26 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of my favorite all-time cartoons...
Taylor Kingston18 April 2014
I really love American Dad. I never know whether to add the ! at the end. Is is really American Dad! Funny. Anyway, I love this show. It is so funny. I remember the first time I watched it. I was about nine and although I didn't understand every joke, as they were a bit mature for me, I instantly knew I'd keep watching it until it got cancelled. Even now, when FOX has cancelled it, they can't keep it from coming back, as TBS has now picked it up instead. My favorite character has to be Roger. Who doesn't love an alien who always dresses as different characters and has different personas? I know I can't resist. My second favorite character is Klaus. I love that he's a fish. Who can talk. Who was a human, at one point. I get a bit bored when the episode centers around either Steve or Haley. But you have to do that sometimes. I do love a good Klaus or Roger centered episode. Obviously I do. Because they're my favorites. Overall this show hasn't had many boring episodes. I know that when I have a marathon there is only one episode I skip, out of the entire series. A very good show, anyone with a sense of humor with love it, overall I give it a 10 out of 10. And I'm not being generous. That's what it deserves.
Underrated gem on television
Chakka55 September 2013
While Family Guy has degraded into the cesspool of what people can somehow still find funny despite unfunny, recycled jokes; American Dad has stood apart from this and still remains a truly amazing show. Roger the alien is unarguably the greatest character ever created with his selfish attitude and creating hilarious scenarios by constantly changing identities. Very few episodes could be considered bad but even those are better than most other shows. Many people write this show off because they view it as a Seth MacFarlane show but in reality and thankfully Seth has absolutely nothing to do with the show other than the voices. While I do wish that Stan was kept as a Republican lunatic, he actually gotten character development that is important to keep a show from getting stale. More people should at least try the show on Netflix or Adult Swim and see for themselves that hilarity and satire of American Dad.
An awesome show from Seth MacFarlane
Felix Saenz30 July 2013
I can understand why American Dad is better than Family Guy (but I still enjoy it) due to the writers cutting back on the long gag and politics/religion baloney. However, this show started off very slow. Once season 3 came, I grew to love it. This peak of interest would continue until the seventh season. That season shows slight decline, but after that, it thankfully got better again. I liked all the characters in the show (unlike a character was otherwise annoying/mean), but Stan, Steve, Roger, and Klaus (all male main cast) are the funniest. The others had their moments but Francine is much funnier than Hayley. My favorite recurring characters are Avery Bullock (Patrick Stewart), Principal Lewis (yet I understand his attitude changed a lot), Steve's friends, etc. Everyone who think FG sucks now think that is a recommend show. At the same time, I'd agree on that (but not on FG). To be honest, 5 years ago, I stayed away from this show for the most part before eventually being a Regular Amination Domination watcher. But today everything is different.
American Dad > Family Guy
Discordian30 May 2013
I for one value American Dad as a show and consider it to be far superior to Family Guy both in overall content and in several specific areas such as characters, dialogs, jokes and so on. To me personally Family Guy lost it's way somewhere after season 5. On the other hand I am yet to find an episode of American Dad to be rushed, shallow or boring. I gladly recommend this show to most people who ask me about it or that I know would enjoy this type of entertainment.

Even though it doesn't seem to bring anything "new" to the genre, it does however excel in being particularly well designed as episodes and sticking to their character's personalities and even as subjective as humor may be, much better "funny stuff", in contrast to a much poorer overall package Family Guy has brought to the table in the past several seasons (maybe with the exception of Brian and Stewie).

Also, Roger! ('nuff said)

Being original and new does not always imply being any good and at the same time, certain things become iconic for being what they are and not for trying to be something else.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Sporadically hilarious but has too many misses in there to hold a wider audience
bob the moo27 December 2005
Stan Smith is a CIA agent and holds the love of his glorious county above all else. He lives an All-American family life too, with a good white wife and his two children. Unfortunately for him his son is not the sporty American teenager he would like and his daughter is so left wing that he doubts her genetic makeup. Add to this an alien that he rescued from Area 51 and a goldfish with the brain of a German scientist and you have a tumultuous household.

Watching the first episode of this new series I must admit my first thoughts were why I needed a slightly different approach to a humour that was done well enough in Family Guy. However a few episodes in and the show began to settle into its own routine and feel. The CIA aspect and the rightwing mocking Stan essentially sets the tone of the series and many of the episodes have either his job or his politics as their focal points. Although this does provide MacFarlane with the targets he wants, it also limits the scope of the series and prevents it wandering too far. Eventually it will have to if it wants to survive and then I worry that the changes will be of necessity and not work as well. Anyway, for the first series it seems to have just about worked well enough to provide enough narrative to keep it moving, the question is whether it is funny enough.

Although hardly narrative or character driven, AD is more of a straightforward affair than FG, with the latter's "like that time I…" moments providing plenty of sudden humour. AD still has good lines and uses the support characters well to provide more off-the-wall moments but it can't get consistency down well. At times I'm laughing out loud, only for a few scenes later to be cringing in embarrassment as the misfires come in fast. It will appeal to those on the left with this style of humour but it is still an acquired taste and is unlikely to get as big a fanbase as Family Guy managed. The political right are correct to dislike it as, despite claims of Hayley providing mockery balance, it is very clear what MacFarlane thinks. As a non-American I'm totally fine with this because the right deserves all it gets, but again it does limit the scope of the humour slightly.

The cast are characters are OK without being great. Stan does what he is supposed to do (mock the political right) and is well delivered by MacFarlane. Francine is a bit washy and again highlights that MacFarlane seems to have problems with his female characters; Schaal does OK with it but rarely stands out. Grimes' Steve is enjoyable enough while MacFarlane's Hayley is actually a better character than I expected. As with Stewie though, the best lines are stolen by Roger and Klaus. Like the former, these two exist within their own world in each episode and can be relied on to produce the laughs. At first neither won me over as they just reminded me how good Stewie was but gradually both have cut their own rut. Roger is consistently funny and Klaus is sparingly used but used well.

Overall this is not a fantastic show but it lines up easy targets and knocks them down pretty well at the cost of being limited in scope. At times it is hilarious but there are also a lot of misses knocking around; it is the nature of the beast I suppose but it is still a problem. Worth seeing for Family Guy fans definitely but unlikely to have the wider appeal to grow as a series.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?