Wedding Crashers (2005) Poster

Excellent summer movie
ivko24 August 2005
This movie will never win an Oscar, but it still surprised me and became my favorite summer movie this year. The plot, as in all good summer comedies, is simple. Two guys who crash weddings to pick up woman have zany adventures and learn a little something along the way. The real fun of this movie is in the actors, who deliver their performances perfectly. Owen Wilson is the aging California surfer type who may be ready to move on with his life. Vince Vaughn is his best friend who frequently acts like a spoiled, horny child but is actually a good guy. Christopher Walken is the slightly scary father of the love interest. So if you have seen Wilson in Shanghai Noon and Vaughn in Swingers and Walken in, well almost anything he has ever made, then you have seen these characters before. But still, they just work well together here. The movie contains just enough real emotion to keep you caring and enough absurdity and broad physical comedy to keep you laughing. This isn't Shakespeare, but it is funny. Highly recommend.
133 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was hilarious
Rooster9916 June 2006
An excellent comedy, Vince Vaughn is a gifted comedian. He kept "Old School" going, was the only light in a dismal "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", and had a terrific debut lead in "Swingers". I highly recommend people considering this movie, to watch the extras on the DVD; there is a karaoke scene at an Asian wedding which will have you rolling. It is a shame it was cut from the movie, but as the director's comments stated, "They just couldn't find a place where it would fit." I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of times I laughed out loud, a rarity for me while watching comedies. The lines were witty, the delivery was crisp, and the jokes were mostly new and fresh. Rachel McAdams was stunning, an excellent casting choice to play the object of Owen Wilson's desire. Despite the more or less rehashed plot (two guys lie about themselves to meet women, only to find that they now have a dilemma when they find 2 they really like), the film is nonetheless novel and original. There are a number of obviously stereotypical characters, (drunken grandmother, artistic introverted son, psychotic cheating boyfriend, immoral mother, powerful father), but they work in this film. Particularly the grandmother, who is prone to drunken scatological exclamations, had me laughing my head off. It was quite unexpected.

Although many of the situations could come off as contrived, they were secondary to the excellent repartee between Wilson and Vaughn. Their comic pairing worked to a T.

R.
62 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Witty, raunchy and sure to become a 'classic'
botner26 June 2005
Saw a advance screening of this on Friday night. Hilarious doesn't do the film justice. You know how in most films you remember the funniest parts and bring them up as you leave the theater? This one, it's hard to remember the best parts because there's so many of them.

Unlike his previous films, where Vince Vaughn is usually reduced to the role of 'scene stealer', here we get a full dose of Babaganush, and he's in his finest form since 'Swingers'. If you liked him in his Swingers/Made persona, you'll love him here. Some of the riffs that he has literally will have you holding your sides with laughter.

Owen Wilson is Owen Wilson. You either like him or you don't. He's more of the straight man in this film, although he does have some pretty good lines too, and he has great chemistry with Vaughn, especially in the scenes where they're fighting. He's the ying to Vaughn's yang.

The movie certainly 'earns' it's R rating. There's a healthy dose of nudity, sex related hijinks, and f-bombs. But it's not 'gross out' humor a la American Pie. It pushes boundaries, but not just in a 'shock value' way. It's genuinely funny.

I saw the movie with a bunch of critics, who usually the jaded type, were laughing their asses of as well. Guys will love this movie and will be quoting it for the rest of the year. Girls will love it too though, and there is a romantic subplot (cheesy at times, but forgivable given how funny the movie is), with Rachael McAdams doing a great job as Owen Wilson's love interest. Isla Fischer plays the role of 'scene stealer' in this one, serving as Vince Vaughn's psycho love interest. And Chris Walken is Chris Walken.

So overall..inappropriate, hilarious and glorious. Better than Oldschool. Way better than Anchorman. Best comedy of the year, maybe the last couple of years.
307 out of 449 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wilson and Vaughn: The Perfect Couple?
jvydelingum2 July 2005
The Frat-Pack, are surely the hardest working collective in Hollywood. Hardly a month goes by without a movie featuring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jack Black, Will Ferrell, or those Wilson boys Luke and Owen being released.

When Starsky and Hutch paired Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller it was good, when Dodgeball put Vince Vaughn with Ben Stiller it was better, but "Wedding Crashers" could well be the finest Frat-Pack pairing to date.

Although Wilson and Vaughn have appeared in four movies together so far, this is the first where they've both taken star billing. In "Wedding Crashers", John Beckwith (Wilson) and Jeremy Klein (Vaughn), are a pair of divorce mediators whose passion in life is sneaking into weddings to take advantage of the free food.. and of course score with girls.

They have a strict 'crashers rulebook', which dictates the etiquette of the pick-up, such as 'never use your real name'. It also suggests, by behaving raucously, loudly and generally being the life-and-soul, people will think you're so obnoxious, you can't not have been invited.

The pair eventually find themselves at odds with each other when John meets and falls for a bridesmaid at the Washington society wedding of the year.

Although "Wedding Crashers" is at times formulaic, the comic performances raise this movie above par and in lesser hands the main characters could have descended into Rom-Com cliché. The fast-talking machine-gun delivery of Vaughn is the perfect accompaniment to Wilson's laconic style. Their single-guy banter's often painfully accurate, as is the acknowledgement they're both a little too old to be acting so carelessly. There are also some great comic set-pieces too, notably the divorce meeting, the weddings montage, the cringe-worthy football game and the hunting trip.

The supporting cast are also an asset, Christopher Walken expertly walks the tightrope of being both broodingly intimidating and likable, while Rachel McAdams' 'Claire' has a charming vulnerability and an easy-to-fall-in love with quality. Former "Home and Away" pin-up Isla Fisher however, is less convincing.

I admit "Wedding Crashers" is far from perfect, at time situations seem too contrived, the nudity is laughably gratuitous, and Claire's evil fiancée Sack (Bradley Cooper) is an almost too heavy-handed device to make Wilson look good.

But if you can look past all that, and simply accept it for what it is, you're left with a very funny film. 8/10
222 out of 330 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest films I've ever seen
epicbrowniez21 December 2020
If you haven't watched this already what are you doing? Lmao it's hilarious and you need to check it out one of the best films froms the 2000s
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good comedy that only struggles when it has to focus on the actual narrative
bob the moo11 December 2005
John Beckwith and Jeremy Grey are committed bachelors who enjoy their womanising ways. They specialise in crashing weddings and picking up women for one night stands by taking advantage of their lower defences. Countless scores of women later, John is getting tired but the offer of "one last big job" tempts him back to crash the wedding of Treasury Secretary Cleary's daughter. Things go well until John falls for Claire Cleary while Jeremy finds himself trapped with the frighteningly clingy Gloria as the pair accept an invitation back to the weekend retreat of the Cleary family.

This did not appear strong enough to draw me into the cinema on its release but, on an trans-Atlantic flight it looked like being good enough to fill some time – which is actually a pretty fair summary of the film's strengths and weaknesses. I say this because it is funny enough to cover the problems that it has and thus will serve up as an enjoyable experience if you're relaxed enough to let this happen. The strengths lie in the lead two characters – they banter, they are lively and they are funny. Funny enough to cover up the fact that they are exploitative and sexual predators and funny enough to mean that the scenes where they are doing their thing are generally enjoyable. Of course it helps that Wilson and Vaughn are both doing their thing as usually and have great chemistry together – good news if you usually like them but, if you don't, then why bother? The weaknesses come in with the actual story because, every time someone has to fall in love with someone else, the laughs stop, the pace slows and the whole thing takes on a mushy air that doesn't gel that well with the banter scenes. Likewise the plot devices in the second hour tend to feel a little forced where they are just used to provide direction and create a proper ending etc. This doesn't mean it is terrible but it cannot be a good thing when you actively wish the plot would take a backseat in a film. The support cast share the comedy reasonably well; McAdams is cool and appealing, Fisher is a bit OTT but is funny, Seymour plays on her sexy image really well while Walken is reliable as ever as Christopher Walken.

Overall this is an enjoyable if patchy comedy. It trades on the usual delivery and chemistry between Wilson and Vaughn and the two do well to produce the film's best scenes when they are together. The need for a plot, romance and separation does hurt the film a little (because it is not as good as the aimless banter) but not a massive amount. Not a great comedy then but certainly good enough to please anyone who liked Anchorman, Dodgeball and other films of similar styles of humour.
50 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A comic masterpiece from start to finish.
dead4754814 June 2007
A pitch-perfect comedy full of laughs and heart from start to finish. Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson play off of each other as natural and easily as Abbot and Costello. They really are the perfect comedic duo. Wilson's confidence and heart of gold combined with Vaughn's supremely charismatic hate of the world. All of the performances in the film are golden. Rachel McAdams is so sweet and adorable that you feel like she's the girl next door that you've been in love with your entire life. Christopher Walken is an actor with such warmth and charisma that it's impossible not to love him. The real highlight of the film though is Isla Fisher. She is so natural and convincing in one of the most difficult roles of all time, that is scares the hell out of me. I'm scared to ever meet her because of how convincing she was. Will Ferrell delivered arguably the greatest cameo of all time. Even Bradley Cooper was brilliant as the chauvinistic, over the top jackass who is stealing the adorable, perfect girl. I really love everything about this film. I die in laughter from start to finish every time I see it. It's so quotable as well. My only real complaint is that it's pretty one-dimensional but that can be forgotten with how perfect of a comedy it is. Vince Vaughn is really a comic genius. His style of striking, smooth quick-paced, charismatic cynicism is more brilliant than any comedic style I've ever seen. He really is nothing short of a miracle to comedy.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed every minute of it
hesdeadjim8227 January 2008
When I first watched this movie in the cinema when it was released I loved it then and saw it twice. I unfortunately forgot about it until I saw it again on TV tonight. How could I have forgotten? It is truly one of the best big box office movies that is actually funny. Clever humour, good morals (eventually), and plenty cheesy one liners that makes it a one of a kind amongst the many hundreds of slapstick US movies. I love how the movie demonstrates to us that the crazy gene does not discriminate between class and bank accounts, and we should all except our families with a sense of humour. I think any woman wouldn't mind if either of them crashed their wedding.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly Funny
christian1237 May 2006
John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) are life-long friends who have made a hobby out of lying to get into wedding receptions, where they pick up vulnerable women with even more lies. Their plans to crash the upscale wedding of a high-profile politician (Christopher Walken) go awry when John falls in love with the politician's daughter (Rachel McAdams) and the two guys end up spending the weekend with her family…who just happen to be completely nuts!

Wedding Crashers is easily the funniest film of 2005. It's constantly hilarious and it's not completely immature. The premise is pretty creative and original. The film is not just filled with cheap jokes and toilet humor. There's actually a pretty mature love story to be found here as well. In all honestly, the script isn't that great but the film works really well because of the cast. The actors bring life into their characters and most of them give funny performances. Vince Vaughn is the true star of Wedding Crashers. His over the top performance is very funny. Some people may find him annoying though. Owen Wilson also gives a funny performance. He just wasn't as good as Vince but he holds his own. Together, Vaughn and Wilson have great chemistry and really make their scenes with one another really funny.

Rachel McAdams is one of the best young actresses working today. She appeared in three movies in 2005 and this one was the best. Her performance is pretty good and it's so easy to love this girl. Christopher Walken does his usual routine and he gives an okay performance. He isn't as funny as everyone else though. Isla Fisher is also another talented young actress. She comes out of no where and gives a very funny performance. Jane Seymour is underused which is too bad because she's pretty funny. Bradley Cooper was okay, nothing really special though. Not all of the film is perfect. I think the running time is too long. Long comedies rarely work out and while this one does, it could have still been edited. Also, the ending is kind of cheesy which is okay but a little unexpected. Will Ferrell makes a cameo and let's just say that it was not needed. It wasn't completely bad but he seemed to be trying way too hard. I really think that he's just an average comedian and nothing really special. One last thing, the film is pretty funny yet it doesn't have that great of a repeat value, at least for me. In the end, Wedding Crashers is worth checking out. Rating 8/10
54 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crashers rock!
muri735 July 2005
Movie lives through Vaughn and Wilson. Both show an easy performance and want the audience to just simply have a good time.

The Story is nothing spectacular. If you liked "Meet the Fockers", you're gonna like this one as well.

Its the actors, who make the difference. Vaughn is hilarious and proofs, that he's much better in comedies than in "serious" movies. Wilson plays himself (as in every one of his movies) and scores a good 2nd place.

Walken is just Walken and thats worth half the ticket. The girls are gorgeous. Especially Rachel McAdams knocked me out. Holy Cow! The Crashers are good fun. Not an new invention of the genre, but especially because of the actors, this movie rocks!
116 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn Really Click Well In This One.
BigHardcoreRed19 July 2005
Wedding Crashers is the latest installment in the new, over-the-top comedies cut from the same cloth as Old School or Meet The Parents. It will take it's rightful place in history along side these great comedies as it deserves.

Business partners John Beckwith (Owen Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) are also best friends that go way back. Every year they get together and go on a binge of crashing weddings to take advantage of the romance in the air and ultimately, to score with the jealous bridesmaids, or any other single woman for that matter. John and Jeremy are very smooth and do a lot of research to get a back-story that explains who they are, how they are connected to the families and why they are there. They also have what seems to be at least a hundred rules to ensure the crashing of the wedding goes as planned and of course, this could not be possible without the original wedding crasher, Chaz (Will Ferrell), who is not only THE wedding crasher, but also an innovator, as you will see.

This all works very well for them until they decide to crash the wedding of weddings, Secretary Cleary's (Christopher Walken) daughter and her new husband-to-be. John was unable to achieve his goal at the Cleary wedding of establishing a relationship with his other daughter, Claire (Rachel McAdams), who he is also falling in love with. Jeremy, too, is having his problems after achieving his goal with the Secretary's other daughter, Gloria (Isla Fisher), perhaps a bit too quickly, as he finds out it was her first time and she quickly attaches herself.

The long story made short, both John and Jeremy end up on an extended weekend with the Cleary family and hilarity ensues, very much the same way Ben Stiller was put in uncomfortable positions by his fiancé's family in Meet The Parents.

This was a great comedy in which I have heard compared to There's Something About Mary. I would not place it on such an iconic platform but it was very good and holds it's own along with other great comedies of today. Vaughn and Owen are a great team. Will Ferrell is typical Will Ferrell in his small bit part as Chaz. Christopher Walken's part was too small to really be noticed. Isla Fisher played the psycho first-timer in such a way that it even scared me.

The biggest surprise of this movie for me was Rachel McAdams. I took notice of her in Mean Girls and I believed she would be typecast in such roles for probably her whole career but she proved she could carry a movie as the lead love interest and was very captivating with her gorgeous smile.

If you liked the movies mentioned in this review, then I highly recommend seeing this one as well. It will not disappoint. 8.5/10
87 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shut-Down Your Brain and Laugh
claudio_carvalho14 October 2006
The thirty and something years old bachelor partners and best friends divorce mediators John Beckwith (Owe Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) have a hobby of crashing weddings following predetermined rules to have one night stand with different women. When they decide to crash the most important wedding of Washington pretending they are brothers, in a party promoted by the Secretary of Treasury William Cleary (Christopher Walken), John breaks their rules and has a crush on Claire Cleary (Rachel McAdams) and Jeremy scores the sex-addicted Gloria Cleary (Isla Fisher), both daughters of William. Gloria invites Jeremy to spend the weekend at the Cleary family estate, and John sees the chance to be close to Claire, in spite of her engagement with the arrogant Zachary "Sack" Lodge (Bradley Cooper). Along the weekend with the dysfunctional Cleary family, John and Jeremy will fall in love for the sisters, but their real identities jeopardize the relationship.

"Wedding Crashers" is silly and will never win or will be nominated to an Oscar. But it is also hilarious, with many funny situations. The great cast shows a fantastic chemistry and seems to have fun while making the movie, and is supported by a delicious screenplay and an excellent music score. My advice is simple: shut-down your brain and laugh with this highly recommended comedy. See also their one hundred and fifty-five (155) Rules of Wedding Crashing in IMDb. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Penetras Bom de Bico" ("Crashers Good of Talking")
33 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I do...
woowacka4426 June 2005
I was lucky enough to see a sneak peak of this at New Line Cinema about 4 months ago, and it was very very funny. It starts off a little slow, with Vince Vaughn carrying the film based on the fact that almost anything he does is funny... but then the film really finds itself a little bit later and the laughs begin. The further the movie goes the funnier it gets. And it honestly looks like something we all can do and have a blast doing it. I recommend this to others and I plan on actually plan on seeing it again when it comes out... Although this time I have to pay for it.

go see wedding crashers
59 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wedding Crashers A Hilarious Comedy
tburke8520 June 2009
Wedding Crashers was a hilarious comedy mainly because of the great performances by Owen Wilson and especially Vince Vaughn. Director David Dobkin is admirable in making this movie about two best friends who enjoy to spend their time crash weddings and picking up chicks. Owen Wilson and Vincent Vaughn both made this movie worth seeing because of their great comic chemistry with each other. Their scenes together are worth seeing it alone. The film also stars a more restrained Christopher Walken, Rachel McAdams, Isla Fisher, and Bradley Cooper who are equally impressive as the supporting characters. The rest of the cast are okay in their roles as well. A few of the supporting actors provide some comic relief to to movie but most of the laughs come from Wilson and Vaughn as their characters find themselves in one hilarious situation after another. The pacing was a little slow at times but the rest of the film made up for it's few flaws. I was very impressed with Wedding Crashers because it's one of the best comedies I've seen in quite sometime. My parents even liked it which really surprised me. Overall Wedding Crashers has plenty of humor and exceptional performances by the cast (Wilson and especially Vaughn) making this comedy worth seeing because is sure to please almost any fan of the genre.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful!
CHiCkLeTdC7 July 2005
I will not bother with a synopsis, but I just saw a sneak preview of this movie tonight and had to write how much I loved it.

Being a huge fan of both Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams might make me more partial to have chosen to see it originally, but it was both sweet and laugh out loud hilarious. In the vein of Old School, Anchorman & Starsky & Hutch, only with romance and quirky families thrown in to the mix. I think the audience for Wedding Crashers has the potential to be broader for that very reason. Vaughn and Wilson have a chemistry as lifelong friends, as do Wilson and McAdams as love interests. Supporting character roles were well cast and provided great framework.

See it on the 15th!
40 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie isn't smart. It isn't great. But it's "fun."
nathandg194 October 2006
The opening sequence with Dwight Yokum and Rebecca De Mornay is one of the funniest in the film. The rest doesn't live quite up to it. The movie suffers from an improbability problem. I know from working weddings like some they went to, it's not easy to sneak into a wedding, especially high profile weddings with bouncers and giant men standing at the doors looking at your invite! Besides that, I will say I enjoyed the film. It's not as funny as say, 40 Year Old Virgin, but there's some good stuff in there. Keir O'Donnell has some of the funniest moments in the film as the goth/artist/gay son of Walken. These were some of the laugh out loud moments of the film.

Owen Wilson is very likable in the film as the partier-coming-to-grips with his age and wanting more out of life. He more or less plays the straight man to Vince Vaughn's antics.

Vaughn speaks in lightening fast dialogue most of the movie. Funny, and good, but at times I was left scratching my head. He's a strong actor and makes strong choices in this movie.

The directing by Dobkin sometimes feels less than good. Desk scenes shot with 2 cameras make it look like the actors are improvising most of their lines and leaves these "buddies" looking a bit too disconnected.

Bottom Line: If you enjoy comedies, especially of this genre, see it. It is very formulatic and if you're smart, you'll know how it ends about 30 minutes into this overly long comedy. (over 2 hours) PS: Will Ferrell turns in a very odd performance as Chazz Reinhold the ultimate wedding crasher. You might feel a little dirty after watching this near out of place character.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So enjoyable, you almost want to try crashing a wedding yourself!
pyrocitor7 February 2006
One of the things movie audiences have to look forward to every summer is not only the release of several sub-par action movies, but also the inevitable arrival of the next "frat pack comedy". As this summer's past installment of the latter, everyone must have had a general impression of what to expect from Wedding Crashers - a simple storyline which is basically only an excuse to showcase the comedic leads, and give plenty of opportunity for improvised one-liners and other such laughs.

Wedding Crashers indeed lives up to the long loved frat pack formula, but still manages to take audiences by surprise in many aspects. It certainly pushes boundaries in terms of sexual content for humor, but fear not, the jokes are never in such bad taste that they fall into the realm of "gross-out humor" - the movie is far too funny for that. And surely enough, the key to the film's success lies in its two leads: Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn seem to be a comedic match that was always meant to be, with the effortless ease and skill they play off each other, managing to evoke a laugh from the most mundane of situations. Between Wilson's laid back, easy going persona and Vaughn's manic fast- talking improvisational skills, every second the two are on screen they never come across as less than superbly entertaining.

Unfortunately, director David Dobkin and other filmmakers are not content to make a movie revolving simply around the pair of them doing their thing - they find it necessary to convert the story into more of a clichéd romance near the end. Not only is this approach far overdone and not that enjoyable at all, but it completely clashes with the jovial mood of the first section. It was a good attempt at a more profound storyline, but ultimately the film would have been more entertaining had it taken itself a bit more lightly, and simply given Vaughn and Wilson more time to wreak havoc playing off each other. As such, it is still a highly entertaining film, but mainly worth watching for the first half or so.

Although the focus is clearly on the two lead characters here, they are backed up by an excellent supporting cast as well, especially the beautiful and very talented Rachel McAdams as the object of Wilson's affections, and Isla Fisher as Vaughn's psychotic and overly clingy girlfriend. Jane Seymour also raises many a laugh (often uncomfortable ones given) as the mother of the two of them, and Christopher Walken... well, what can be said about Christopher Walken really? Suffice to say he is beyond excellent as usual, raising tears of laughter from doing virtually nothing at all.

As much as I may have never expected to say this, Wedding Crashers would have been much more entertaining had it made an attempt to stick closer to the frat pack formula instead of trying to work a more serious romance element in, which clashed uncomfortably with the carefree, uplifting mood of its first half, which was much more enjoyable. Still, Wedding Crashers is nonetheless one of the very funniest movies released in a long while, and worth seeing if only for Vaughn and Wilson's unparalleled chemistry and amazing ability to play off each other. Expect to partake in many a laugh, however crude or filthy, when watching Wedding Crashers!

-8.5/10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wesholden15 March 2021
The painting was a gift Todd, I'm taking it with me
Sooooo FUNNY!!!!!!
Kong8121 December 2020
This isn't a smart movie, but this movie is great and too much fun. Owen Wilson is very likeable but Vince Vaughn is the best in this movie.

I love this movie and I think that it's perfect to watch in relax-time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Carried by the supporting cast
grantss8 February 2016
Carried by the supporting cast.

Two friends, John (played by Owen Wilson) and Jeremy (Vince Vaughn), crash weddings to pick up women. One day they crash the wedding of the daughter of the Treasury Secretary, Secretary Cleary (Christopher Walken). Instead of short-term flings they end up being invited to the Clearys' island estate, and potentially meet the loves of their lives...

Has its moments but mostly quite silly and predictable. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn are quite irritating and unfunny (not really a surprise)

However, the supporting cast is great and almost makes up for Wilson and Vaughn's ineptness and dullness. Isla Fisher is fantastically over-the-top and scary as the clingy Gloria. Rachel McAdams is wonderful as Claire. Bradley Cooper plays the bad guy for once, and does it extremely well - swarmy, in-your-face and very over-the-top. Christopher Walken is...Christopher Walken. And then there's Jane Seymour as a Mrs Robinson-like Mrs Cleary...

Overall - mediocre, but could have been a whole lot worse.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long and trite sprinkled with occasional funny moments
bruce-3448 July 2005
This movie started out well. Then it got long...too long. Plus it tried to go from funny guy movie to sappy chick flick. It didn't work. Owen Wilson's performance was disappointing. He was still much the same guy he is in his other movies, but this time he was also depressed and whinny for part of the movie. Also, there is no way to write a spoiler for this movie. It was totally predictable. If you read any of the summaries about this movie you can guess what's going to happen. There are no big surprises which isn't that surprising when you consider the type of film this is.

Vince Vaughn was hilarious at times though!
42 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"We're not so young anymore . . . "
FilmSnobby20 July 2005
. . . Thus muses Owen Wilson to his pal Vince Vaughn in their new movie, *Wedding Crashers*. To which I say: Oh yeah? -- then act like it! But to expect maturity from the likes of Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn would be pointless, considering that both of them have not exactly behaved like adults in any of their previous films. (Well O.K., Wilson was interesting in Wes Anderson's *Bottle Rocket*, and Vaughn had a pretty good part as a creepy step-dad in that Travolta vehicle from several years ago, but 1 out of, like, 20 for each actor is a lousy scorecard.)

Let it be said at once that Generation X is aptly named. If Wilson and Vaughn are the best comedy-team my generation can come up with, then we rightly deserve to be nameless. These guys make one long for Martin and Lewis (this is not meant to be complimentary). I spent a good portion of the movie wondering about the state of Wilson's hair: what's up with that, anyway? Why does he persist in looking like a late-Seventies stoner in movie after movie after movie? Is it supposed to be his "trademark", or something? As for his pal Vaughn, he seems to be literally EATING in every scene of this film, and boy, it shows: this is one individual who is, to a painfully obvious degree, bloated with the corrupting amenities of easy living (i.e., the typical life of an undisciplined Hollywood star). He has become a fat oaf who turns in lazy, blubbery performances. Why is this guy a star, again? Was it that whole "you're money" thing?

Screw these guys and their lousy films. I mean, really. (I was dragged to see *Wedding Crashers*; I certainly didn't seek it out.) What kills me is that I kept reading all these laudatory reviews -- from professional movie critics who are doubtless GenXers themselves -- about this movie's "sharp, edgy wit" before I actually saw the damned thing. This is merely a case of the tribe protecting its own. Hey look, if your idea of sharp, edgy wit includes the spectacle of Vince Vaughn getting yerked off under a dinner table, then you'll love *Wedding Crashers*. And you'll die laughing when Jane Seymour gets her vanilla-pudding-bags squeezed by Owen Wilson. If those bits don't it for you, perhaps the repugnant wisecracks about Eleanor Roosevelt's sexuality (!) will tickle your ribs. Wow, what a scream.

And why wasn't I surprised to see A Certain Former SNL Alumnus make a boorish, unfunny cameo at the end of the movie? (Hint: he's the one who screams a lot, which, I am told, is supposed to be hilarious.) Look, people: it's time to declare a moratorium on the Wilson/Vaughn/Stiller/Ferrell/Rudd Nexus of Bad Comedy. Who's with me? The current going-rate of 3 comedies per year featuring any or all of the above-mentioned performers is literally destroying American civilization. It must be stopped.

1 star out of 10.
32 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time and money
todd-2228 August 2005
Terrible, yet another mind-numbingly boring film that isn't worth the price of admission. Why Owen Wilson keeps getting cast in movies is a mystery to me. Can't act, has an annoying voice and is about as funny as a rectal exam. Plus,I find the weird crook of his nose disturbing. I was dragged to this by my wife who has a strange love for what passes for a comedy nowadays. I wish I had the 2 hours back. I walked out before the ending. I couldn't take it anymore, it just wouldn't end. Can't anybody write a big (or medium) budget comedy anymore? The plot of this was paperthin, absurd and ran out of steam in about a half hour. How many rehashed ideas or TV shows do I have to sit through before something original comes out? Chris Walken where have you gone??? Talk about selling out...Jesus, remember when you were great actor???
27 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad I walked out
fldelk-128 August 2005
The success of this movie is a good measure of the state of Hollywood and specifically romantic comedy this summer.

Actually I was amused by the concept and the early montage of weddings was fun, but when the real body of the plot began it became truly painful to watch as it became as mean-spirited as the wedding toast "Claire" begins to make.

When the man slips on the banana peel it's only funny if he leaps up unhurt, if he has earned the punishment or if the humor is otherwise balanced with caring. The only people who earned their punishment in this movie were the leads and the rival for Claire's affection (After all, he was working to care for the environment and house the homeless. How evil can you be!). Jeremy's hell night might have been amusing if his torturers hadn't been so pathetic.

You're better off staying home with some classic comedies. Or better yet, go to a wedding or other celebration of family and love.
25 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you serious?
luvahire23 September 2005
I saw this movie and everyone in the audience was cracking up at the most stupidest things. I sat there thinking to myself "What's wrong with these people? Did they get high before they came in to see this crap?" I did not find ANYTHING funny nor did I laugh one bit. I just sat there and kept looking at my watch wondering when this crappy movie was going to be over with. Movies like this cause the box office slumps. I know there's probably better writers, better scripts and better actors out there but yet Hollywood doesn't know talent when it sees it thus releasing waste of time, money and talent movies like this. And I use the term "talent" loosely.
29 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.