Reeker (2005) Poster

(2005)

Give these guys cash!
edgent16 March 2006
I went to see the movie knowing it was a low budget movie and probably more of the same to boot, thinking it'd be bad goreish effects and ready to be bored. Actually committed to hate the movie.

But something happened. The movie's twisted sense of humor, as you can experience in the first minutes, gets you into watching the movie just to see what silly thing happens next, along with its jumpy moments, and typical bad guys and the so predictable deaths everyone knows (the proverbial closed door leading to a dark room that everyone seems to step into... or not:); but hey, it's still lightweight fun! Then the movie's final twist is revealed and all the silly things make sense, shifting the what you thought it was bland predictable stuff into something else you didn't really notice because you were having fun poking at the holes of the movie and its apparently predictable stuff.

The movie ends, people in the theater have stopped laughing and are silent in amazement, and my friend slowly says this weekend he's not going to the desert... just in case.
58 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A must-see-twice film that will make you think...
the_extremist29 September 2006
I saw this at the Johannesburg premiere last night, and the whole cinema seemed to love it.

There were some quality funny moments and a lot of jumps, my only criticism being that it lacked suspense, with some scenes being just a few seconds too long. But I never got bored, as my mind was busy trying to make sense of the plot and predict the "twist" I'd heard all about.

When the twist came, it suddenly made the whole movie so much more freaky. I'm normally good at predicting the end of movies but this one totally got me. Anyone who says the ending is unoriginal obviously didn't "get" the full extent of the twist. I have to go and see this again!
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Confused...
tonywilkes1 July 2006
I'm confused because this is one of the worst films I've ever seen, and yet some people seem to like it. The characters, the dialogue ('Didn't you just go to the bathroom already?' 'Tell that to my bladder') and the acting was awful, and... actually that's enough. Take that away from any film and you have a bunch of set pieces which either work or they don't, but it's not a film in any kind of enjoyable sense.

The pre-credits part at the beginning was great and I was actually set up to enjoy a great film - only it sucked. I quickly realised that I was watching five of the most shallow, dumb-schmuck, downright stoopidest high school folk ever committed to celluloid, and after ten minutes my reaction was 'Jeez, make them die already'. Harsh but true. They weren't even clichés, they were cardboard cut-outs from a How Not To Write A Move book. For a group of young kids thrown together in the midst of an ordeal watch My Little Eye.

The inclusion of a blind guy could have been interesting if it hadn't been handled so badly. The first mention of it - 'Thanks for rubbing it in' - was a bit ridiculous; he's been blind since the age of 6, hasn't he got over it yet? He can't still be bitter about it! And when a trucker meets him he is confused by why he doesn't shake his hand: 'He's blind.' 'Oh.' As if the blind guy (his name's Jack, but his role in the film is essentially Blind Guy) would stay silent and not hold out his hand to be shook when introduced to someone.

In the scene where Blind Guy enters a room and there's a woman with no face scratching a message into a table, he doesn't see her. Because he's blind, you see. But as he keeps mentioning how his hearing compensates for his sight, would he not have heard her moving around? This, coupled with him later saying he was blind since age *7* (apparently a continuity flub), made me think that he was in on the horror side of things. The number of plot holes, blind alleys and red herrings is enough to keep people guessing about what's going on (and not in a good way) and the ending doesn't help either. You can't just montage a bunch of new stuff that makes no sense and have the two surviving characters say 'Do you remember anything about the crash?' 'No. Do you?' 'No.' It's the equivalent of a 7 year old writing a poem and ending it with, 'And then I woke up. It was all a dream'. Blech.

The whole 'Group Stuck In A Horror Motel' thing was done infinitely better in some film I don't remember the name of from 2002/2003. It's ironic that I should forget its name, as the name Reeker will be etched in my memory for a long while yet, and not in a good way.

But hey, you kids have fun!
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sick mystery in horror clothing
SuperGus13 March 2005
I went to one of those secret test screenings they do here a lot in Los Angeles.   I knew this was a horror, am a big fan, but had never heard of it.  We were urged not to talk about the story until it opened, especially the surprise ending. If their so worried about the big twist, then don't screen it!

The movie opens on a family traveling in a minivan demolishing a deer on the road. Then they encounter a mysterious noxious gas that maims their dog and nearly decapitates the father.   The first 3 minutes is totally sick and whack.

Then these college kids, strangers, share a ride through the desert.  I especially liked the blind guy and the music obsessed geek. When their truck breaks down and they get trapped at a motel, the movie really takes off.    It veers into weird, funny, scary, strange to totally messed up.   A psycho ecstasy dealer (who I recognize from "Resident Evil") is after them  -- or isn't he? There are sightings of mutilated dying people -- including a hilarious and gory appearance of a "half a trucker."  An old man shows up in a RV looking for his missing wife.   And I don't even really need to say it, but, someone or something is killing them off one by one...

It's the mystery that really makes this light years better than most horror films I've seen recently. Unlike THE GRUDGE, this one makes sense. I'll admit, I'm still trying to sort out all the little details of what really happened.   I worked my way back through the movie all night and it's even better in the morning.   Not all the special effects were finished and the sound wasn't done either, so I can only imagine Reeker will get even better. Two mangled thumbs up!
50 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Thing Reeks of a Bad Movie
Escaping Fate20 July 2009
Awful

Bad acting, plot holes, bad movie.

I know it was low budget but a low budget is no excuse for a bad movie, a huge budget DOES NOT make a good movie, i love "Killer Clowns From Outer Space" and "Bad Taste", both low budget, but great movies! After watching this i came right here to express my disgust and i was speechless to see people liked the damn thing! I can only assume that they were people who had just turned 15 and gone to see their first horror movie or they have not seen enough of the horror genre to see how bad this is or they have never seen anything other then a Hollywood film.

I wanted to like this film, i really did, i just didn't.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
F-in Great!
harrisonflyboy14 June 2005
F-in Great!

I saw two midnight movies at the Tribeca Film Festival, "Reeker," the first, and by far the best, was a welcome surprise in a world of tired horror retreads. What we have here is something that is not so much new (the story is in the great tradition of "kids stuck in the middle of nowhere") as done right to such an extent that it elevated the material beyond my wildest expectations. Not only was I totally sucked into the mystery, but I was caught up in the plights of the characters (all superbly fleshed out), AND scared out of my seat. In addition to jumping and almost making a pass at the dude next to me (don't ask), I laughed so hard on at least half a dozen occasions that I missed entire scenes... This movie is FUN.

Kids get stuck, something's not right, a rank odor follows them around... they start getting killed. You'll never forget the blond in the outhouse.

The production is compact – filmed mostly at one desert gas station/motel – with some scenes on the road and in Los Angeles. The music is spot on. If you're a music lover, the smart placement of several songs is well worth the price of admission. The gore fx and computer fx are great, especially for an independent movie. The whole affair has a very "classic horror movie" feel.

There is a twist end. These types of endings only bother me when they don't work. In this case, this is one of the reasons this movie is so clever. With the reveal you learn that all the mayhem you've just witnessed actually was working on many levels. It's a puzzle that may leave some scratching their heads. My advice – PAY ATTENTION!

"Reeker" avoids the standard run of the mill slasher pitfalls, creates a new monster/killer that's so original it's almost not (You wonder why no ones thought of this villain before). If you don't take your horror too seriously, want a change of pace from your J-horror fetish, get in line and catch "Reeker" the day it opens.
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reeker
Scarecrow-8810 July 2007
Heading for a rave, Gretchen(Tina Illman)tells Trip(Scott Whyte)he needs to relinquish a batch of drugs he stole from illegal pharmaceutical chemist Radford(Eric Mabius)or else hitch a ride with someone else. This shortly after they leave a diner with various people having lunch. Gretchen, who has a kind heart, decides she'll give Trip a lift back to the diner so that his cell phone can gain a signal. Cookie(Arielle Kebbel)has a bladder problem and needs to urinate before their trip back to the diner. On their way back, Cookie notices a turned over SUV which looks similar to the one they are riding in. When arriving back to the diner(..and a little motel nearby), the group notice no one around. It's certainly suspicious because they had just left from there with plenty of people inside. Patrolling the grounds, the group begin to fall one by one to a mysterious hooded figure with a type of gas mask covering his ghoulish face who, before appearing, introduces himself with a foul stench as he arrives from this type of gaseous cloud..could he perhaps represent "death"? Other members of the group include blind Jack(Devon Gummersall)with an abundance of witty liners, often poking fun at his handicap and Nelson(Derek Richardson),a turntable musician who has a gig lined up at the rave. In a peculiar group of circumstances, Radford emerges, and disappears, all throughout the characters' terrifying ordeal..what's his part in the grand scheme of things?

Another one of those gory "characters running from death" horror flicks, this actually has some entertaining moments. The characters are interesting and funny..quite likable and nowhere near as obnoxious and annoying as these type of flicks often litter us with. Surprisingly, several gore scenes show body parts removed from unfortunate souls..one poor fellow was stuck in a garbage bin with his entire lower body removed! I'm not sure how I take the twist at the end..it's awfully derivative of other films of it's ilk(..such as "Final Destination"). But, the flick sure is strange enough, with an unusual killer with unique abilities and arrives differently than the usual grim reapers this evil one clearly emulates.

Michael Ironside has a small role as Henry, this awkwardly behaving man looking for his missing wife who Trip encounters when running from Radford, often clutching his side as if he could keel over any minute.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not just another horror movie
Greatornot12 July 2007
First off WOW . Sometimes you get unexpectedly, great movies when you least expect. I go thru my on-demand on all my premium cable channels which is included in my subscription and stumbled on this. I tend to be drawn to movies with teens or 20 somethings finding HORROR in off beat, backwards places, but I digress. This movie surprised me in a great way. Sure there was the typical horror stuff which I come to love in every horror movie good and bad but than the twist , oh the wonderful , fantastic twist . Totally out of left-field. I thought the acting was better than a lot of these genre of movies . The cinematography was lacking but that was OK. I guess I should have sensed something unexpected because , with each death or near death something strange happens.I wont tell what it is. See this movie and another like it BLACKWOODS.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fear the Reaper...um, I mean REEKER!
Coventry22 March 2006
I feel a bit sorry to say that this isn't a great film and sadly suffers from a lack of originality, because I really did enjoy my viewing of "Reeker" and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other hardcore horror fans on the lookout for new thrills! "Reeker" is a fun film, with decent production values and lots of exhilarating gore, and it's only near the end that the script begins to show some major holes and plot twists that featured in many other movies already. Up until when the story becomes painfully predictable, Dave Payne manages to build up some genuine suspense, likable character-drawings and even some vivid black humor. Five twenty-something people who only know each other vaguely are on their way to a famous rave in the desert when their journey suddenly takes a nightmarish turn. After a truly banal drug-incident, the gang returns to the nearest motel, only to find that everyone has mysteriously vanished there. The only living soul for miles around is a middle-aged traveler who has severe problems himself, as he somehow lost his wife on the isolated desert roads. Things get really uncanny when a terrifying figure, bizarrely dressed and smelling horribly, shows up killing the cast members in – it has to be said – very imaginative ways! You certainly won't be complaining about a shortage of excitement, as the film doesn't cut back on grotesque make-up effects or over-the-top gory moments. After the first glimpse at the unusual killer and the ominous atmosphere, it becomes clear that "Reeker" is slightly more ambitious than your average high-school slasher. Such an ambition is definitely praiseworthy and promising for Payne's future career, but sadly his "idea" has been used already in many other (classic as well as more recent) movies before. Of course, I can't mention which ones because that would have the same effect as revealing the actual twist. Michael Ironside is the terrific experienced actor of the film, but he receives excellent feedback from the enthusiast young cast. Derek Richardson (who was in "Hostel") is very good and Gillmore Girl Arielle Kebbel is more than adequate as well. "Reeker" guarantees a fine watch all together, but it's a little shortcoming to end up a genre classic.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not scary and illogical at times
manicman8411 August 2006
"Reeker" didn't live up to my expectations at all. The film has really surprising turn in the end which, in contrast to "High Tension", is beneficial for this flick as it sheds a new light on a story which until this time has completely no sense. In fact, "Reeker" doesn't deliver anything new and even misuses certain patterns. In addition, the film is not frightening and evokes not much tension, which is significant shortcoming for this kind of flick. Not so frequent gory scenes are anything but original or imaginative. What's more, the flick drags incredibly and is illogical at times. Similarly to other movies of this genre, characters behaves very irrationally. For instance, the scene with a guy jumping out of the window was ridiculous. On the other hand, among virtues of this film I can rate good cinematography and beautiful desert settings. All in all, I regrettably cannot recommend this horror film.
26 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reeks of Embarrassment!!
isaacleonard3 July 2006
Went to the Odyessy Cinema in Belfast last night and chose this movie as it was the only one that we thought might be good.

Well in a nutshell, myself and my sister who was visiting from England thought this was one of the worst films ever. TERRIBLE SCRIPT, ACTING, EDITING (in some scenes). Abysmal....FULL STOP! Anybody in their right mind, especially the film makers, studio etc, that believed this to be acceptable knows little about storytelling and/or film making!! DIDN'T STUDIO EXECUTIVES WATCH THE DAILIES, OR EVEN CARE??

The so called twist at the end would have Alfred Hitchcock turning in his grave!!

Ps. The only decent actor was the Blind Guy Don't waste your money or time!!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
it certainly reeks alright
stevenkickstart5 November 2006
well i went to the cinema to see this on the back of reading some positive reviews on IMDb and i was really disappointed.Where do i start, it has every horror cliché in the book, the girls are bimbos, the guys are stupid, everyone seems to split up all the time instead of sticking together and the film was just boring.It just seemed to take bits from final destination and jeepers creepers and pass it off as original which it wasn't.It takes a lot for me to want to walk out of a film and i was on my feet a few times but i persevered until the end and even the ending wasn't original so overall a very poor film that doesn't even deserve to be watched on DVD
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
scary film, great ending (no spoilers)
ShimmySnail19 November 2005
Now HERE is a great horror film. I haven't been scared since 28 Days Later or, to a lesser extent, the Ring/Uzumaki series. I gave this film an 8 only because some of the dialogue is trite, and they use some of the "gotcha" gimmicks where the sound increases sharply for an instant to make you jump out of your seat. Other than that very common horror movie tactic, it is a solidly enjoyable film.

The story is great. It proceeds along a very formulaic horror movie story at first. Four or five annoying young adults on their way to a sybaritic party in the middle of nowhere. One is blind, one is a foreign student, one is the blonde, etc. One of them is being secretly pursued by an ex-pharmacy student/drug dealer he recently ripped off who is rumored to have killed others who crossed him. The car breaks down, nobody comes to help, cel phones are dead, and then BAD THINGS start to happen, usually preceded by the choking odor of decomposing bodies (hence, the title). At first these things are only observed, and then they start happening to our protagonists. The ending, however, will probably greatly surprise you, I know it did me, and I'm used to surprise endings.

The acting is good, the special effects are top notch, it's scary, and the story moves at a good pace. Definitely check it out.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent horror movie
misbegotten30 October 2008
I regard Reeker as being a great horror movie - one of the best examples of the genre that I've seen in the current decade, though I've noticed that quite a few people seem to have problems understanding the film's storyline.

Here's my interpretation of the movie: the central premise of the film seems to be that sometimes people are killed in accidents that are so sudden that they don't actually realise what's happened. In these cases, the victims find themselves in a limbo between life and death - a world that looks identical to ours, with the exception that nobody else is there, and also time works differently (no matter how long you spend in this limbo, only a few seconds pass in the real world).

This is what happens to the main characters in the film. The moment occurs when they stop at the side of the road to let Trip out, and Cookie takes the opportunity to dash behind the bushes. Everyone feels what they assume to be an earth tremor. In fact, this is when Henry (Michael Ironside) had a heart attack while driving his RV, and plowed into them.

Once they've arrived in limbo, the Reeker hunts down the individuals who didn't survive the accident, killing them in ways similar to how they actually died in the real world (eg: Nelson getting a shard of glass in his throat after crashing through a window, Cookie receiving internal injuries while going to the toilet). As they now realise they're dead, this allows the victims' souls to pass on, going to the afterlife/heaven/hell/whatever.

Jack (the blind guy) and Gretchen survived the crash, and therefore the Reeker wasn't able to kill them.

As for the glimpses of 'the dying people', these are the victims of the other accidents mentioned by the policeman at the end of the movie - including the family we see in the pre-title sequence. They've already been killed by the Reeker, and are in the process of moving on to the afterlife. In the same way - because the limbo is half-way between the land of the living and the realm of the dead - we also occasionally see visions of Radford (the drug dealer) as he tries to save the lives of the crash victims, back in the real world.

The writing in the Bible and on the walls was presumably made by somebody (or several somebodies, over a long period of time) who had previously been trapped in the limbo, and realised that something was after them. Eventually the Reeker must have gotten them.

Gretchen seems to briefly retain some memories of what happened in limbo (She murmurs "Why didn't you try to help us?" to Radford as he pulls her out of the wreckage), and Jack also remarks that he can dimly remember being able to see Gretchen for a moment, but the final scene indicates that they have forgotten about the Reeker and the Half-Way Motel.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Smells Like... A Horror Classic!
terrible29 December 2008
Nothing about a film called "Reeker" says it's going to be anything but stupid, yet I was quite impressed by the outcome. Director Dave Payne (Adams Family Reunion... Really?) paints his picture with bold colors and an emphasis on red... "Reeker" entertains in a way that very few Indie horror films do... By setting up and knocking down all the horror film clichés' with great promise of things to come. The premise is simple, a group of people are stranded at a seedy hotel in the middle of the desert, when a rather stinky foe reeks havoc upon them. Other then the "Stinky" factor, it sounds pretty similar to a thousand other films, but Payne shows us something new and quite refreshing. The setting, along with superb cinematography sells the isolation feeling to great effect, and the stellar cast brings the whole story to life in a seemingly effortless fashion. I was most impressed with the villain (Reeker), who was a stinky breath of fresh air when it comes to over-done horror film slashers, and proved to be something different and creepy. Yes, you will love the whole "Cookie in the outhouse" scene, and the way the film opens is something you won't soon forget. "Reeker" will make you proud to be a horror fan, as it does not alienate it's audience, but instead invites you on a joy ride to horrific bliss... You will not be let down.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sadly accurate title
JoeB13114 October 2007
Please, stay away from this garbage.

This was an incomprehensible mess of a movie that only gets sorted out n the last five minutes, and even then it doesn't make sense.

Essentially, the plot is that five friends are on their way to a concert when they encounter a traffic accident (don't stop to see who it is for no good reason) and then proceed on to an abandoned truck stop. They are systematically hunted by a stinking Grim Reeper kind of character, until it is revealed at the end that they were in the car accident, and that the Reeker was collecting those who didn't survive.

It makes absolutely no sense at all. The acting is awful. I even felt sorry for poor Michael Ironside, whose a pretty good actor reduced to doing this sort of schlock.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst movie I've seen in quite a while..
Oxwall20 December 2006
This movie is about some sort of 'ghost' who whispers through the night, moves in shadow-like steps and kill a bounce of teenagers who has managed to get stranded on a desert hotel. Now, at the final moment of the film you reach a point where you get to learn a bit more about the true art of metaphorical events. Now, this concluded, I still don't like this film. As I see it, only a - big - waste of time! The actors where mediocre, nothing to put in the Christmas tree, but not totally ashame. The worst thing is the oh-so-played-out clichés appearing over and over, scenes and moves that perhaps just need to be there to make a classical horror flick. However, I can't see any good idea why people should see this, at least not something to ease back to if you're with a girl ;)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Follow your nose, this one's not bad at all
Maddis17 April 2006
Head towards this smell. Really not bad at all given a relatively low budget and mostly unknowns in the lead. Here is a movie that rests its strengths on the very essentials of a good horror movie: scares, creepy atmosphere, and a little humor to ease the tension. The plot is ho-hum with a group of college students making their way across the desert and somehow stranded at a diner. The stalking of an unknown creature begins and they are picked off one by one in various gore filled scenarios. The added intelligence of this movie is that it keeps you guessing almost to the end what is going on. When the twist is finally revealed we are left a little unsatisfied, but like a good roller coaster, the ride was enjoyable even if the scenery was a bit bland.

Many have compared this to Dead End, which in my opinion was horribly drab. Reeker is far superior and if any comparisons should be made it should be to Haute Tension.

This team could certainly do better and will inspire a lot of fanfare for the next go around. But all in all, this Reeker was well worth the time.

Maddis 6/10
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than expected.....
neal2zod22 March 2005
I caught this one at SXSW 2005 - and was ready to hate it, mainly b/c of the ridiculous fanboy hype outside the theatre.

Yes, it's possible for a movie that nobody's heard of to have too much hype - it seems almost every low-budget horror movie these days has so much rabid fanaticism from the aintitcoolnews crowd, that all these movies tend to be decent but over-hyped (see Ginger Snaps, SAW), or just plain awful (see Jeepers Creepers, Dog Soldiers, Cabin Fever, or better yet, don't). The only one of these movies that lives up to the hype is the still-under-seen classic May.

While Reeker doesn't come close to the emotional punch of May, it's an entirely adequate schlock-horror movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, yet doesn't wink-and-nudge enough to ruin the material.

The less said about the plot, the better - it's essentially the same "college kids vs. monster" movie we've been seeing since Friday the 13th, but with the gimmick that the killer lets off a noxious odor before it strikes. (hence the somewhat juvenile title) And one of the kids is blind, so he can smell the killer better than the other kids. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. Don't worry, though - there's a twist in the end that makes it all come together, believe it or not - try to stay away from spoilers if you can.

Probably doesn't sound too great so far, but there's some big, big laughs, a few decent scares, a cameo by Michael Ironside, and quite possibly the first and last use of Cutting Crew's 80s hit "I just died in your arms tonight" in a film. All in all, it's a fun movie to catch on cable or as a cheap rental.

Oh, the end credits contain a pre-emptive rant against critics who will title their reviews of this film "It Reeks/stinks!", and the scratch and sniff promo cards say on the back "If you're a p***y - stay at home". It's that type of movie.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reeker Reeked!
jamie_likeskylie2 July 2006
Before I start my mini-review of Reeker, I must say that I am by no means a high-brow movie buff. The classiest movie I own is Aliens and let it be known that I have DVD's starring the likes of Hulk Hogan, and the great Pia Zadora, and even such classics as Hell Come To Frogtown and the Complete Friday the 13th box set have a place in my collection, I even have Glitter somewhere! Even for a disposable flick, this movie is cheap! I'm talking Poundland. cheap! The killer is invisible throughout at least half of this piece of nonsense. As far as special effects goes, I haven't seen dismembered bodies this ropey since they last showed Day Of The Dead on the Sci-Fi Channel! In fact I think the ones from that movie were better, even though it was made 20 years ago! I will spare you yet another synopsis of this excuse for a 'horror' flick, but I feel it does earn its 1 star for the finale which does help make sense of 90mins of one dull incoherent cliché after another. There are no scares, and certainly no laughs to be had with this lame effort. Rent one of the bad movie classics I mentioned earlier if you have an evening to kill, don't waste time on the Reeker, it stinks!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
read all these mixed reviews first
jethro2475 July 2006
well, i looked at the original review on the site, thought it sounded great but now assume it was either written by:

a: the director

b: a 12 year old

c: someone who has NEVER seen a decent horror film.

I am a big horror fan and go to see most releases, but this really was a piece of poop. (beep that!)

the usual gang of unlikeable youths on a road trip - doesn't really matter who they are or where they are going.

our 'hero' is particularly unpleasant (it's a good thing that the blind don't generally go to the movies that often as his treatment of the blind guy is pretty offensive). - anyway, it's a pretty stupid film, plenty of 'jump' moments but completely unoriginal, a 'monster' who is SO laughable ('death' with power tools and a gas mask???), i rather think not.

and as for the twist? - haven't we all seen this before?

it attempts to have a post modern 'knowing' style but that's been done SO much better many times before, even House of Wax was better (partly cos it has Paris Hilton getting a stake through her forehead - but that's another story.)

however, if you insist on going to see this film, DON'T BE LATE as the first, pre-credit, 3 minutes are the best part of the whole film... "no, D is for..."

it's an expensive 3 minutes as you'd be best advised to leave after that.

enjoy if you can, but i'd rather spend my money renting The Shining, Ring, and Book of Shadows.

class
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Smell of Death in a Bad Trip
Claudio Carvalho29 July 2006
While traveling to a rave party in the desert, the college mates Gretchen (Tina Illman), Trip (Scott Whyte), Cookie (Arielle Kebbel), Nelson (Derek Richardson) and the blind Jack (Devon Gummersall) get trapped in an abandoned motel when their van run out gas. Along the night, the Reeper, with his smell of death, chase them and they have to fight to survive.

I bought this DVD expecting a bad movie, based on the unfair User Rating and some reviews in IMDb. However, "Reeker" is actually a good low budget horror movie that in some moments recall "Identity" and "Jacob's Ladder" and with a great conclusion. The idea of the Halfway Hotel being the purgatory or limbo may not be original, but worked very well. The story is tense and the unknown cast performs good acting. In the end, this film was a pleasant surprise. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Pânico no Deserto" ("Panic in the Desert")
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You HAVE to see this movie (twice)
Matt Jordan28 August 2006
Now what can I say about REEKER? Scary? nope! well acted? kinda! original? nope! entertaining? DEFINITELY! I loved every minute of this movie until about 4 minutes from the end, when I got a sudden feeling of dejavu! Was I watching the alternative version of DEAD END? it sure seemed like it!!! Anyway, I went to sleep that night thinking how some could remake a pretty original movie and get away with it! I mean that's all they did didn't they? Boy was I wrong! The next night I watched DEAD END and then watched REEKER again and realised that REEKER was everything DEAD END wanted to be! It is FAR superior in every way! The acting! the plot! the story EVERYTHING! Final analysis? if you like DEAD END you'll love REEKER! Actually, if you like horror movies you'll love REEKER! See it, but watch it twice, you won't be disappointed! 9/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Truly Average!
Pete Oppersdorff15 June 2006
I wasn't expecting much from a film called Reeker but being in Argentina was the only film in English available, so i was hoping to be surprised.

Nothing sets this film apart from anything thats been made in the past few years. It contains elements of Final Destination and Identity but doesn't pull the respective elements off as well as it these films.

Obviously one of the main elements in any horror flick is its gore factor which i do admit this film pulls off well, but for most of the film i was asking myself "what next", as is revealed in the end in what i thought was a half decent conclusion. I say conclusion not twist because a twist should take everything you thought you knew about a film and turn it upside down in a stroke of genius, all this does is makes sense of the last hour and half for which i didn't know why all this was happening as it all seemed rather unclear.

The actors do their part as horror isn't exactly a complex role, and the direction is steady throughout so its not gonna blow your mind.

I'm not gonna tell anyone on here to stay away from this film, i like horror and such especially if they try and do something a little different with it like this does but as i said i found it all rather tedious from start to finish. I'm sure there are people who will like this film as the gore and the ending are enough to satisfy but i feel after Saw, Final Destination and Identity, the bar has been raised for what is a slowly revitalised genre.

If you liked any of the above films especially Identity and Final Destination i recommend it but don't expect anything too shocking or original. 5/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Damn Scary, and It's going to get you......
Steve Barcik16 March 2005
Great film, shocks, laughs, and a damn fun ride, how sweet! Cool writing, some uncommon horror touches and a sweet ending that wrapped it up nice without the Hollywood "Part Two coming soon" ending set up.

An inventive film with good build up after a bang of a beginning, then it all breaks loose. The plot twists and turns in a way that keeps you guessing, and the end is solid and clear. Nicely photographed, with good lighting, and effects, great actors, and plan scarer. Crazy in it's shocks and scares, and with a humor that was solid and had the audience hooting! Man it is the next big horror movie out there! Release this thing on like 3000 screens on October 10th, run the cast around to all the great 15-40 year old shows, and boom you just blew up and got buried in money.

I will be there to watch any other movie you guys make.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this