Earth (2007) Poster

(2007)

Stunning footage, but better presented in Attenborough's 'Planet Earth'
ruben-1548 December 2007
I was really looking forward too seeing this movie as it has been advertised as a must-see movie for people that love movies about nature. The movie shows different climates and the animals associated with them by starting at the North Pole and going down south as the movie progresses. The footage from this movie is often breathtakingly beautiful and I many times wondered how on Earth they could have taken some of the shots under water or in the sky. However beautiful, a large part of the footage I had already seen in the TV series 'Planet Earth', narrated by David Attenborough. I found Attenborough's narration of Planet Earth to be much better than the narration of Earth. 'Earth' is an easier movie. It skips much of the scientific detail that Attenborough covers in his 'Planet Earth' series. For instance, Earth will tell you that a tropical sea is an ideal nursery for a young humpback whale, because there are few predators. Planet Earth will tell you that a tropical sea is a good nursery, because the water is low in oxygen and doesn't contain enough nutrients to support very large animals, like large sharks, etc. To me, that's an important difference. That, together with Attanborough's far superior voice make Planet Earth a far better documentary than Earth. Still, however, I think Earth is worth watching for the beautiful footage and the fact that it's easier to understand makes it interesting for children too.
67 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Film
MarkVanKamp28 January 2008
This was playing at our theater in Amsterdam and the film we wanted to see was sold-out so we went to this, not knowing anything about it other than it was a documentary about the planet. We were very happy at our misfortune as this was a very powerful film about life and the delicate balance we all share with the rest of the inhabitants of Earth. This film has some of the most breathtaking photography I have ever seen in a film and took me places from deserts to oceans to rain forests and displayed things I have never seen in a film, TV or book! "Earth" is a film that every student should see before they become jaded. I will encourage my niece to see this film since she will be inheriting the planet we leave her. This is also a film to see on a theater screen or a very big television since the photography is so powerful and exotic.
44 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A masterpiece
gatnom12 February 2008
This is simply the most astonishing movie you will ever see. I thought it was just another documentary, but it really is something else. It doesn't try to teach you anything, it shows you how life works in nature.

I won't talk about the quality of the pictures, because you obviously know from other comments it is unmatched.

Earth is funny, tense and sad. It can make you laugh, it can make you cry. Sometimes both at the same time. This is the first movie that made me cry, not because you feel sorry for the animals, but because you come to realise how fragile our planet is and what treasure we were blessed with, yet we don't appreciate it one bit.

This movie should be shown obligatory in schools. It is the most wonderful film you will ever see, so go and see it. Who knows, maybe it is the last time we might see our planet like this...

10/10, but I would easily rate it more if it were possible.
65 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Breathtaking and heartbreaking in its magnificence
ackstasis30 May 2008
I've heard nothing but great things about the 2006 television mini-series, "Planet Earth," narrated by my childhood idol David Attenborough. Nevertheless, whether it was screened down here in Australia or not, I never caught up with it, and when I happened upon the opportunity to see 'Earth (2007)' – a feature-length compilation of the same nature footage – on the big screen, I jumped at the chance. The theatre was basically empty; just one other patron sat in the row ahead of me, and it was as though I had, not only the big screen to myself, but, indeed, the entire planet Earth. For 90 minutes, I was lowered into the beauty and perils of the isolated wilderness, amongst some of the most beautiful living creatures ever captured on film. Awesome in its scope, and yet painfully intimate at times, 'Earth' is a heartfelt plea from the filmmakers to recognise the delicate balance of life on our planet, and how the intrusion of humans has placed countless glorious animal and plant species on the brink of extinction.

Though the film, directed by Alastair Fothergill and Mark Linfield, obviously argues for the conservation of the wilderness, it refrains from beating us over the head with propaganda, and the puzzle that is politics is ignored altogether; indeed, there is not a human in sight. Instead, we are simply taken on a breathtaking journey into the majesty of the natural world, to experience the resilience, and also the fragility, of life on Earth. I hear that the original mini-series, which ran for eleven episodes, delves a lot deeper into the scientific background of world ecosystems, but I think that, here, the filmmakers made a wise decision to replace information with emotional impact: I can't remember the last time that I felt so inspired, and yet utterly heartbroken at the same time. By establishing an emotional link between the audience and a select few individual animals, anthropomorphising them to an extent, we are suddenly able to appreciate the "human side" of each species, and their hopeless plight for survival becomes less a statistic and more an unacceptable tragedy.

'Earth' is basically comprised of a selection of dramatic episodes, whether it be the struggles of a female polar bear to lead her young cubs to the Arctic ice, or the tramp of an elephant herd towards the life-saving seasonal floodwaters of the Okavango Delta. The documentary demonstrates the delicate balance between life and death, most heartbreakingly exhibited in the desperate ballet of predator-prey interactions. Though occasionally, perhaps to cater towards a younger audience, the footage cuts itself short at the crucial moment, I regularly shed at tear at the inevitability of death in nature, and the raw instinct that fuels these animals' final, hopeless efforts at survival. There's even a haunting beauty to be found in the hunt, both in the slow-motion footage of a cheetah bringing down its prey {the result of a single fateful misstep}, or the majestic mid-air leap of a Great White Shark as it engulfs a hapless sea lion. It is this frail balance that has been fatally disrupted by the selfishness of our own species.

Aside from these main stories, we are also treated to brief snippets of wildlife from around the world, including the birds of paradise of Papua New Guinea, and the autumn migration of the demoiselle cranes. Of course, entire films might have been dedicated to these species alone, and an inevitable consequence of having to sift through so much footage is that some interesting ecosystems are glossed over far took quickly. By choosing to focus most closely on the polar bear, elephant and humpback whale – tracing their lifestyles, via some astonishing high-definition time-lapse photography, throughout a calender year – the filmmakers were able to avoid any structural problems that might arise from having so much to show, and only 90 minutes to show it. Consequently, 'Earth' left me thirsting for more, and, fortunately, I now have approximately eleven hours more, as soon as I can track down a copy of the DVD box-set for "Planet Earth." Uplifting and tear-jerking, awe-inspiring and heartrending, 'Earth' is a truly magnificent documentary experience, and it might just be my favourite film of 2007.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Earth - what more could you want?
Loxlie-28 November 2008
Rather annoying that reviewers keep comparing this to Planet Earth... Of *course* Planet Earth is better - it has much much more of the same. Earth is like an extended trailer for the Planet Earth series, and as such, is inevitably inferior and simplified. But that is not comparing like with like.

As a feature-length documentary (or actually as a feature-length anything), it surpasses pretty much anything you will see in your entire life (unless you choose to traverse the Earth in helicopters with long-range cameras for years on end, and wait for months in the most extreme environments to catch a glimpse of the most extraordinary beings on earth, which - lets face it - is unlikely).

On the narration: yes everyone in the UK - very much including me - adores David Attenborough, and there's little excuse for him not to be narrating here, but that hardly deserves knocking down a star or three. He wasn't a presenter on Planet Earth, just a narrator, and I'm sure he's modest and gracious enough to realise that anything that gets more viewers in is a Good Thing.

Anyone who sees this will be overwhelmed by its awe, majesty and glory. All reviewers agree on that. Those who love it (ie. everyone) will/should go on to see an buy Planet Earth. So three cheers for its cinematic release, and a big boooo for anyone cheap enough to buy this on DVD rather than the Planet Earth box-set. But as works of art they're not in competition here people.

The Earth is big enough for both.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An inspiring film doesn't necessarily make you feel good...
ysbrant29 November 2007
I loved the way EARTH is made. Its photography is unbelievable, editing it must have been an interesting challenge and Patrick Stewart's voice over is PERFECT. In addition its music and sound editing make watching EARTH a profound experience you don't want to miss. You really are on a journey to where you would probably never-ever end up by yourself.

And although, at first, I was quite surprised by the laughter of the audience as we see animals in their daily fight for survival, I could not help laughing myself sometimes. Nature simply seems too impressive to comprehend.

But, rather than the need to laugh, I left the cinema with a profound question:"Howcome 200 years of industrial revolution can destroy natural systems that have been here for thousands and thousands of years?"

With this question in mind, you'll understand how I felt somewhat bitter and powerless after seeing EARTH. I felt the immediate need to change the world, to help all these animals in their struggle, to undo the changes we have gone through the last centuries and to stop the global heating at once (all that not being a NGO activist at all!)...

So I immediately visited the website mentioned at the end of the film to see what I could do to save our -still- fantastic planet (and the polar bear) from its depressing fate... (www.loveearth.com)

I was a little disappointed to find no direct answers to my questions there. Yet it was very interesting to find out more about the film and the struggle its crew went through.

I hope that cutting on my energy-use will do. I don't know how else to shorten the distance polar bears have to swim to reach land before they drown or attack animals they cannot beat in their exhausted state...

An inspiring film it is, but I didn't leave the cinema feeling very happy.
52 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely stunning
stephane_decker1 March 2008
I have to say that sometimes "looks" are all that matters, just like Jeremy Clarkson from BBC has pointed out (not about our earth though, but he is right anyway).

And when it comes to looks, this movie is such an unbelievably stunning beauty you will absolutely love what your eyes are about to see.

And then there's the personality of the movie as well, interesting, with a captivating narrator voice and narrator stories that will touch your soul as you watch those superbly filmed images.

The movie probably won't affect your lifestyle, ruining these beauties, but it will certainly remember you how precious our earth we live on truly is.

This movie deserves it's 10 stars as it is one of the few stylistic earth documentaries i truly enjoyed.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good and in parts
simon-130316 November 2007
There is some spectacular, heart stoppingly beautiful photography here of a range of scenery and animals, from arctic to tropical and everything in between. The camera techniques are varied and spot on from close ups to aerial work. Editing is tremendous and the commentary is spot on too, with just the right tone and some dramatic and telling facts about our world. Where the film falls down a bit is in trying to cover and integrate four themes - seasonal patterns, climate change, individual animal stories and hunter/ hunted interactions across multiple environments. Eventually it all gets a bit bitty and disjointed. Overall, well worth seeing especially given the issues covered but don't expect Oscar material.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Second wake-up call to save our planet!
Ken Vandenbussche31 October 2007
Just like Al Gore shook us up with his painfully honest and cleverly presented documentary-movie "An inconvenient truth", directors Alastair Fothergill and Mark Linfield also remind us that it's about time to improve our way of life in order to save our beautiful planet. "Planet earth" is also a wake-up call that the global warming of our planet has disastrous consequences for all living creatures around the world. Al Gore showed us the bleak future of planet Earth by presenting hard facts backed up by documented examples through long yet always interesting monologues. The creators of this documentary choose a different yet equally powerful way to accomplish this. They do not present us with a future representation of what might occur to our planet if we don't radically change things around, but they rather show us the genuine beauty of planet Earth in all of its amazing glory. We see places that we knew that existed but never thought they could be so beautiful. In this movie, we see a wide array of the most extraordinary places such as forsaken deserts, giant forests full of fauna and flora and icy-landscapes as far as the eye could see. And in all of those immensely different environments, we see the most beautiful animals trying to survive.

This is exactly the kind of movie that had to be made, in combination with the one from Al Gore, in order to make us realize that our planet is too precious to meddle with. The voice-over by Patrick Stewart is always relaxing and thus very well done although at first it sounded as though I was watching an X-men movie instead! The cinematography is probably the most remarkable thing of this documentary. At times: what you see is so unreal that you tend to forget that a man with a camera actually had to film all of that delightful footage.

In short: This is definitely a must-see for everyone since it concerns every single person on this beautiful planet Earth! The truth is: I never thought our planet was so astonishingly beautiful!
37 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Earth was a huge disappointment.
pedertraa24 April 2009
Don't get me wrong, the movie is beautiful, the shots are stunning, and the material is dramatic. However, it was a big disappointment and I actually left very angry at what Disney had done.

BBC's Planet Earth was all of the above and more. It was subtle. It had an overall feeling of balance and showed the full circle of life and death. There was tragedy and triumph, loss and gain. It was balanced.

Disney's edit of Earth is none of this. They tried to make it a movie us Americans would talk about. They made it DRAMATIC. They put an over the top musical score there to frighten us. They made predators evil. They made WALRUSES evil. They showed every encounter as negative. It tried to be suspenseful and succeeded, but at the expense of the lesson of balance. The movie was an hour and a half of negative portrayal and only about 10 minutes of positive.

I am all for preventing global warning, but this was over the top political and environmental junk.

That's another thing, I went to see it on the big screen, but was disappointed in the picture quality. It looked better on my TV at home.

If you want to see something like this and get the whole picture, go out and buy, rent, or borrow the BBC's Planet Earth series. It is better lessons, better sound, and (if you have Blu-Ray)better picture quality.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Superb documentary on the planet Earth
emiptor2 November 2007
You have to see it to believe it! Directors Alastair Fothergill and Mark Linfield have done a thing really great, it is a 10 out of 10 so I can not believe that other user of this web had rate it so poor, unless they were expecting to see just a normal movie, with people, love scenes, and so on. I am also convinced that this kind of documentaries are an excellent way to wake up us in order to save our beautiful planet. Finally, it has nothing to do with Al Gore's documentary-movie "An inconvenient truth" mainly made of long monologues, painfully and with "truths" not always accurate, as many scientists have pointed already.

The best thing you can do on earth is not miss Earth.
35 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Most beautiful (and expensive) documentary ever
Ton van der Velden5 November 2007
The spoiler warning is for those people who want to see for themselves what animals and landscapes pass before their eyes, although I don't mention it in great detail.

"Earth" is an approx. 90 minute cinema version based on "Planet earth" which I watched all on BBC TV.The TV version was narrated by David Attenborough, a captivating commentator, who I had wished had also done it for "Earth" but it is Patrick Stewart, Star Trek's Captain Picard. There are regularly shots of the Earth from space so that's may be appropriate. In any case he has a nice enough and calm voice for it. There are 12 chapters in which we follow animal life on earth from North Pole to Antarctica. 3 animal families, polar bear, elephant and whale, appear in more than one of these parts. Each "chapter" starts with an indication how far from north pole or equator it is. We see something of each kind of animal, but only mammals and birds, and some fish, and some beautiful shots of vegetation, mountains, waterfalls, deserts and jungle, a near perfect presentation of the variety of life and landscapes and climates on earth. You get the impression that our planet is only inhabited by animals: people or villages or cities aren't in the film, so it's a typical nature documentary, but breathtakingly shot and accompanied by delightful music. When the film opened I already knew it would end far too soon for me. It is a family film, so no brutal killings of any animals. When one is caught by his hunter the shot ends and in other cases where we see the prey being caught it's shot in slow-motion which makes it less violent and watchable for young children (age limit 6 in The Netherlands). No blood is shed. Some scenes (newly born animals) are really cute and will be adored by kids. It looks like an ordinary nature film but when you know how many shooting days it took (4000) and how much money it has cost it becomes an even more astonishing piece of beauty. It had it's Dutch premiere yesterday, a month before the actual release, in a cinema of 500 seats, of which 15 were taken. True beauty is rarely interesting for cinema goers, it seems. As I knew the TV-series I was of course very curious if my favourite scenes would make it into this movie. Some didn't, but the most impressive shots (big waterfalls) did, luckily. It was the first time I ever cried in a nature film.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A beautiful and unique planet ... ours! ("ours" means "bear" in French!)
languedemoliere16 October 2007
This documentary makes you travel all around the globe. It contains rare and stunning sequels from the wilderness. It shows you how diversified and how fragile our planet can be. The polar bear's future is highlighted at the beginning and at the end of it. After all, its bleak future is closely linked with the consequences of global warming. This documentary is however a simplistic approach of such a serious environmental issue. It can nonetheless be easily seen by young children since it mainly remains descriptive. Scientists might well be disappointed as it is not a remake of Al Gore's documentary "An inconvenient truth" but frankly...what a description!!! A question may then arise: Isn't it worth preserving our world's beauty? Because this documentary proves that in 2007 such a beauty still exists despite the different pollutions. By living in towns and cities we tend to forget that we are part and parcel of this nature. All things considered this documentary reminds us that we own a common treasure called "EARTH".
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great Disney movie
twilight rules23 April 2009
best Disney movie EVER i got pretty sad when all the animals died but it is just life i guess. the best part was the beginning wit the cute little polar bears to bad there dad died of starvation. the elephants are very cool animals. the next one i want to talk about is the whales they are very fast creatures. i just saw it last night it was just great i think family's should go and see this with there kids. i hope you find this comment useful. not much to say new to IMDb please look at my movies afterwards i will be doing twilight and role models and yes man and THE DARK KNIGHT,monsters vs aliens,and the haunting in connecticut
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Earth (2007) The Movie !
Anita Atluri16 October 2014
EARTH (2007) looks like a Great Movie in Production! Since the beginning of the Production of the film, Earth, i am delighted & pleased to see that the Animal Kingdom stars of the movie, & EARTH, the Movie itself has had a Baby! i have Not yet had the Opportunity to see Earth. Nor Any of the Accompanying documentaries to Earth. DisneyNature is NEW! i have Not had any Exposure to DisneyNature thus far. Fun to see Something Other than Cartoons out of Disney. My main Documentary source is of course National Geographic. i am going to Investigate if there Are Any DisneyNature publications, such as: Books; Magazines; or even Globes! My main Review is just to congratulate Earth on having it's First Baby. Good Luck.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as good as Planet Earth, but a good movie-length cut.
david-282928 May 2011
Earth is a feature-length cut-down of some of the most jaw-dropping nature footage ever shot... the Planet Earth series. I'm a huge fan of the series, and watch it often with my family, and because of that I wasn't as impressed with the movie version.

I understand Global Warming problems, but the voice-over comes across as preachy and tries to hard to tug at the heartstrings. I'd prefer a more factual approach... not even the mellifluous voice of Patrick Stewart can overcome the script issues.

Planet Earth gets 10 of 10 stars in my book, and Disney makes an admirable attempt to piece together a feature film in an hour and a half. But there is so much ground to cover (har har) with these stories, and so many incredible locations that it feels overly stuffed and unfocused. You can tell they were cramming it all in, instead of the lush exploration of the original episodes.

I think once you see something in one format, to see the same elements mashed up together in a different way can often be less satisfying. But for first-time viewers, I wouldn't miss this documentary film... if for nothing other than the footage. You will undoubtedly see things you've never seen before.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Paradise on earth
Luigi Di Pilla1 December 2008
EARTH is a must see for children and adults. My son had great fun watching all these funny birds and ice bears. We can learn a lot from this movie and we should be proud on our great treasure on earth. There are some animals in danger to disappear. Exactly that problem should prevent all the authorities of our planet.

This documentary offers many exceptional pictures that I have never seen before. Then it is well accompanied by a heavenly music. The director did a great job here that gets high respect. Nothing can stop me and my family to give EARTH the highest rate. I hope so much that the stuff will create a sequel.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Film Worthy of Walt
Scotty27 April 2009
I think Mr. Disney would have been quite pleased with this film.

Overall, it doesn't try to persuade anyone to believe anything about our planet other than there is much we still need to learn. It proves we are learning about ecosystems, and warming trends, and how the circle of life goes on and on.

I especially liked how it didn't try to pin blame for anything on anybody. We all live together on this unique place we call earth, and we are all equally responsible for taking care of it.

There is no attempt here to start a conflict. There is a beautiful, sensitive and caring portrayal of several aspects of our world as many of us have never seen it before.

Music and narration were wonderful! It stirred the soul and excited the audience in many ways. I overheard many gasps and "Ooohs!" and "Ahhs!" from the folks around me.

Bottom line is I think it will help us all think a bit differently about our world.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Photogenic charismatic fauna
Gene Crokus25 April 2009
In celebration of Earth Day Disney has released the film "Earth". Stopping far short of any strident message of gloom and doom, we are treated to some excellent footage of animals in their habitats without feeling too bad about ourselves.

The stars of the show are a herd of elephants, a family of polar bears and a whale and its calf. The narrative begins at the North Pole and proceeds south until we reach the tropics, all the while being introduced to denizens of the various climatic zones traversed.

Global warming is mentioned in while we view the wanderings of polar bear; note is made of the shrinking sea ice islands in more recent years. We never see the bears catch any seals, but the father's desperate search for food leads him to a dangerous solution.

The aerial shots of caribou migrating across the tundra is one of the most spectacular wildlife shots I ever saw; it and another of migrating wildfowl are enough to reward the price of admission to see them on the big screen.

One of the disappointments I felt was that otherwise terrific shots of great white sharks taking seals were filmed in slow motion. Never do you get the sense of one characteristic of wild animals; their incredible speed. The idea of slowing down the film to convey great quickness I think began with (or at least it's the first I recall seeing) the television show "Kung Fu" during the early Seventies.

An interesting sidelight is that as the credits roll during the end some demonstrations of the cinematographic techniques employed are revealed. There are enough dramatic, humorous and instructive moments in this movie to make it a solid choice for nature buffs. Perhaps because of some selective editing (sparing us, as it were, from the grisly end of a prey-predator moment) and the fact that this footage had been released in 2007 and is available on DVD it is a solid film in its own right. And you can take your kids!

Three stars.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
easily a breath-taker!
danny869125 April 2009
i almost did not go see this movie because i remember march of the penguin was not that much exciting. I went mainly because Disney promised to plant a tree if i go see it on the opening weekend, but after i did go see it, it was simply amazing; the fact that the photographers can capture impossible images are simply worth your money. You also get to see different habitats, different vegetation, animals, and natural phenomenons that will not only shock you - simply because you would never expect nature to be so magical and dynamic - but also touch your souls and raise the question of humanity versus the world, of how our lives have deviated from nature to such a degree that we take for granted of the natural beauty and miracles that are quintessential to our biosphere. You don't have to be an earth lover or a tree-hugging environmentalist to appreciate the mere awesomeness of this documentary. You simply have to be a curious soul who questions the value and miracle of living. Enjoy!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
more than a documentary
Hercooles128 July 2008
I saw this movie with my family and it was great! This film is more than just a documentary (that offers not more than cold facts) with long mono/-duologue's and lots of charts...The complete "power" of this movie comes from the impressive pictures being filmed under water, in the air or the Arctic.With watching this movie you can learn more about our planet than with just reading a book, it shows that WE are embedded in the circular flow of life. This movie is not only for "environmental fanatics" although people that want to look a good movie with a message should watch it. This movie taught me that we are not only living on the earth...we live with and through the earth and all plants and animals grow and die with us.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Like a commercial for the real thing
Tracy Allard29 April 2009
Two years ago I watched the entire series and was flabbergasted (even on an average TV set) and although I'm not a DVD buyer, if I were to buy DVDs, the series would be in my top 5 wish list. However, the screen version Earth, in comparison, is a huge letdown for three reasons:

1. I was prepared to see mostly the same footage, which was the case. What I was not prepared for was the low resolution! Of course some parts of the film have excellent resolution, but many of the slow 'feeding' scenes had terrible resolution. The theatre I watched this in today was one step down from an Imax screen, huge and curved, amphitheatre seating, and I sat almost center. In particular the white Arctic wolf chasing the baby caribou was particularly poor resolution, to the point were effort was required to discern any detail at all but the white mass running. Note, on a good size TV, this was simply not an issue. Maybe this would not have happened in 70mm, but in 35mm, an extremely fast sequence extremely slowed down was simply not satisfying on the big screen.

2. Time and content wise, watching these 90 minutes was a little like watching a commercial for the real thing. It is over edited, and under informed. Very little info is given to the viewer, whereas the series was packed with info. Some scenes were overplayed, some were over , and repeated (6 chicks falling from tree, 20 times!), some were overextended (shark munching seal, splashing to the water, hidden because of splash, goes on and on). The series had excellent editing, or didn't need so much, as there was sufficient time in each episode to actually show what needed to be shown, and proportions made sense.

3. Emotional impact. Many viewers commented how the kill scenes were a little too much, and at first, as a biologist/ecologist, I snickered, as did others, well, that's nature. However, the 90 minute breakdown is approximately 30 minutes scenery, 60 minutes animal. Of the 60 animal minutes there's approximately 10 minutes of fun, 20 minutes of neutral and 30 minutes of killing time. Taken in perspective, I also now feel the kill time was overdone. It felt like it was all in the name of shock value.

All in all, although Earth has much nice footage, I simply can not recommend it, it has minimal knowledge content, bad editing and the large screen format is a double edged sword. By no means comparable to the Planet Earth and Blue Earth series.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stunning pictures, why make it dramatic?
oscarpeeters7 April 2008
For those who'd like to see this movie? I'd say: go! Without the narration it might be a very good movie/documentary. But the music, the narration and some of the implemented story lines make it very hard to watch for a sceptic person like me. Following several animals, their life in several seasons one gets the feeling that it is an animal soap we're watching. But the melodramatic point of view just doesn't cut it for me, moreover if a predator finally catches up on a prey (one exception left there) the camera zooms out or skips to another scene. I ask myself why that happens, if they were to show reality, why cut the scenes that a melodramatic fairytale remains? I think the moral is important for the mass of the crowd, cause after all: it would be a waste to destroy this beautiful planet.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very breathtaking scenery and quite enjoyable
derekprice197426 April 2009
I would have given this movie a 10, but there were two issues I had a problem with. First (THIS IS THE SPOILER), there is a scene in there that is directly taken from a show I saw on either Discovery or National Geographic. I was expecting totally new and original footage, so I'm now wondering how much of this film is new? Second, (non-spoiler), I was watching the movie on a DLP screen. A few of the scenes, especially when you see the zebra running on the sand, are grainy. I would not have expected something filmed probably in hi-def on a DLP screen to be so grainy--especially if it is completely new footage. I love my techie stuff, and pristine images is something I really enjoy.

Other than the two things above, this film is VERY enjoyable and amusing in some sections. There was a trailer on this movie for "The Oceans," which is coming on Earth Day in 2010. I am already looking forward to that film.

If you plan on taking your family to see this movie, make it a matinée. It's a good thing to watch with your family---they do show a few "kills," but there is NO blood nor carnage shown. Also, you're basically paying to watch an expanded and should-be-new version of a TV original, so no need to pay high dollar when you can pay matinée. By going to the movies to see this, you're saying you want to see more films made like this, and hopefully, you care about preserving the planet and animals so that more films like this will happen!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Movie Has Taught Us To Cherish Our Planet And Not Kill It
Grissom6624 April 2009
The first film in the Disneynature series, earth, narrated by James Earl Jones, tells the remarkable story of three animal families and their amazing journeys across the planet we all call home. earth combines rare action, unimaginable scale and impossible locations by capturing the most intimate moments of our planet's wildest and most elusive creatures.

Directors Alastair Fothergill and Mark Linfield, the acclaimed creative team behind the Emmy Award®- winning "Planet Earth," combine forces again to bring this epic adventure to the big screen, beginning Earth Day, April 22, 2009. Earth 10/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this