Coach Carter (2005) Poster

(2005)

It's about time there's a movie about morals.
crity2re29 June 2005
Honestly, I don't care about dates. I don't care about names, or stats, or if the writers got a bunch of stats confused. I mean did you actually watch the movie, or were you just looking at the screen for misprints on jerseys? To believe that some people can actually watch a movie and then complain that the time line is off with reality is beyond my comprehension. Who cares about the time line! It's not reality that you're watching, it's a movie. Movies, no matter how real the stories they are based on, are not real. They are altered. They are changed to make a better storyline.

If people can be dense enough to complain about names and numbers and dates, then they missed the big picture. They missed a great movie that actually conveys a real message. It's not about the sports, it's about the students. And it's not always about what you put in, it's about what you take out. It's about what you take away from the situation that you've walked into.

That's what this movie is about, not about basketball. It's about life, and how easily people give in and give up. It's about learning, and having faith that people will do the right thing. Yes, it's about public education, and a community on the edge of stupid, but there's more to it than that. You just have to stop looking, and watch.

This movie truly was excellent, right up there on the shelf next to "With Honors." But make sure you are really paying attention, otherwise, what's the point?
189 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie
Gundersonm30 January 2005
"Coach Carter" is a well-made movie, and from what I have heard it stays true to the actual story. If you're sick of inspirational-type movies, then don't go see it, but otherwise I highly recommend it. All of the performances are at least tolerable, and most are really good. Samuel L. Jackson is great. Most sports movies have terrible action scenes, but the basketball footage in the movie is actually quite believable (for example, no short white kids dunking and things like that). The movie is very realistic, and the director has gone to great lengths to make it seem as true-to-life as possible. I think it works very well.
71 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coach Carter was a good portrayal of a true story
origbillygoat16 January 2005
I really enjoyed the movie and was actually inspired by the end of the film. The film was a little corny and syrupy from time to time but it was an overall good, positive film. I have read and heard so many comments about the morals and unacceptable behavior portrayed by some of the characters and in turn viewers bad-mouth the film simply because they do not agree with some of the behavior of the some of the characters in the film. But these people obviously missed the point of the film. Coach Carter was trying to instill values that he thought would help an entire community. The reality is that kids do have foul mouths, have unprotected sex, are faced with hard decisions (to have or not have a baby and selling drugs) everyday.

We should all be so fortunate to have the opportunity to see a movie that features a person that actually tries to deal with these issues without making judgment calls and instead offer resolutions to problems. He offered resolutions to his team's behavior and left it to them to make the right decisions. This was good because they were able to see the consequences of their actions. When they made the right decision, they were able to see the positive consequences. When they made the wrong decision the players were faced with negative consequences and had no one to blame but themselves.

The impact of a person of this magnitude is profound and if some viewers found fault with this movie simply because their reality is a little different at this moment then it was for the characters in this film is very unfortunate for the viewer. Because you never know when you might be faced with a person similar to that in the movie. You just might have to deal with this situation more personally than expected and if this happens what will you do? Because the consequences of your actions in a situation like this will be either positive or negative as well.
116 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
inspiring story
asim34522-129 March 2008
I was expecting nothing more than a basketball movie and at first was only going to watch this because there was nothing to do. At the end of the movie I was almost going to cry. I loved the movie so much. It wasn't just about basketball, about the story of the greatest basketball coach that ever lived. I loved the move, it was inspiring sad movie with some violence. I think there were about 80 people in the theatre and about 75 ended up crying at the end of the movie. It was detailed and shows how far a coach would go in order to put his team on the path of discipline, honour and commitment. My rating for this movie is an absolute 10/10. Watch this movie-I loved it
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your average basketball movie
cstu1115 January 2005
While basketball is used as the backdrop for the movie, Coach Carter really isn't about basketball. The real heart of the movie is in the way Coach Carter begins to turn the lives around of the players on his basketball team by showing them that someone actually cares about what happens to them after high school.

At one point in the movie Carter (played perfectly by Samuel L. Jackson) asks a player why he plays basketball and he responds with "to win the state title" - which of course gets him high fives from the rest of the team. Carter then asks the team who won the state title last year and nobody knows the answer. Carter tries to show his players that high school basketball is not about winning but about discipline, respect and the confidence to accomplish any goal.

If you are thinking about going to see Coach Carter as a basketball movie, I suggest seeing another movie, but if you want to see a truly inspiring story go see Coach Carter.
142 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I Came To Teach Boys... And You Became Men."
Megatron123412 October 2010
This movie was fantastic! I first saw it during the last day of Summer School (yes, I went to Summer School. Shut up) and I have to admit that I did NOT want to watch it at first because it was a sports movie. But upon viewing this movie, I found that I liked it and enjoyed it. I then swiped the movie from my father's house and watched it every night for 3 nights straight. Here are the things that caught my attention.

1) Samuel L. Jackson. One of the greatest actors ever was in this movie so I was instantly drawn in and thought that I'd give it a chance.

2) The Music. Loved the music even though the majority is rap. It fit the movie perfectly.

3) The storyline. I really loved the story and the plot devices. The drama sequences were REALLY good.

4) The truth. This movie was pretty much dead-on to Ken Carter's real life experience. I watched the bonus feature "Coach Carter: The Man Behind The Movie" and it compared the movie to real life. It was like a perfect match.

My favorite lines were at the end spoken by Samuel L. Jackson after the final game. I always watch that every night. It's become kind of like a tradition for me. I showed this to my mom and she instantly fell in love with it, too.

So, all in all, really good movie. If I could rate this higher than 10 stars, I would've.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Samuel L. Jackson Makes The Intense Coach Carter Come To Life.
BigHardcoreRed24 January 2005
There are many movies similar in plot and theme to Coach Carter but this movie stands well on it's own. Most of the credit for that has to go to the star, Samuel L. Jackson. They could not have found a better man to play this role. I do not know much about the coach this movie is based on, but I can not imagine anything better or stronger than what Jackson has given us here.

The story is pretty much like any other. A former basketball star from the early 70's is asked to coach this year's team due to the fact that the old coach is not able to keep the kids focused on their grades, coming to class, etc. Where this movie differs, and what makes this better than most movies of this type, is the depth it goes into in most of the players on the team. The bigger stars have their own back stories and reasons for why they are the way they are.

Obviously, judging the acting, Samuel L. Jackson is head and shoulders above the rest but others who stand out here are Rick Gonzalez, Antwon Tanner and Robert Ri'chard. Each of these guys played their characters to a tee. Overall, if you want to see an inspiring movie and feel like it accomplished it's purpose at the end, I can recommend Coach Carter to you. 8/10
64 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Plot,Cast,Director.Exceptional Drama.With Non-Hollywood Ending...
killbill_tarantino200326 September 2005
Sport obviously not the special themes for movies."Jerry Maguire","The Replacements","Any Given Sunday",etc.Hollywood already made it in like 1000 years ago.And mostly had great success in Box-Office and also great story.This year,Coach Carter prove it again.This movie was a representative for great Sport-movie in 2005!Coach Carter showed up and challenge this summer with Lots of wonderful and amazing things.Samuel.L.Jackson undoubtful again was the most stunning,excellent and superb actor of all time.He just could make it!Supporting by lots of great and amazing newcomers like Antwon Tanner or Channing Tatum.Maybe there was also the biggest mistake Ashanti joined this movie.However and Whatever it is,This Movie(plus the Promising Director:Thomas Carter!)was The Best!Loved it!Liked it!Two-Thumbs Up and crowds of applause for Coach Carter!
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i love this movie...
missprincesstoni30 January 2005
I can honestly relate to this movie. I am a female athlete and all through my high school years i've seen athletes get passed because they play sports. It's mostly the guys though. We have a coach that made every boy failing a subject get a tutor. This movie reminded me a lot of him. Not many coaches put their jobs on the line for the benefit of the kids. I agree with what he did 100% and i know lots of others do too. The movie shows perfect detail of how students act in schools and out of school. I went and saw it two nights in a row and each time, i saw different things about the movie. It's a great movie and I think all coaches and teachers should see it. It shows that most athletes are passed because they are athletes, not because they have the grades.
51 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good story of a coach who believes his players can excel in life
the-movie-guy12 January 2005
'Coach Carter' is based on a true story of Coach Ken Carter, a controversial high school basketball coach played by Samuel L. Jackson. Coach Carter took the coaching job under his rules. He believed that the players must maintain good grades and become a united team or they would not play. All the team players signed his contract to do just that. The team was undefeated and on it's way to the 1999 State Championship, when Coach Carter received the low grades of his players. Coach Carter received national attention when he locked the gym and benched the whole team for poor grades. Coach Carter received some praise and much more criticism for his decision. This is a good inspirational movie of what one must do to excel in sports and in life. Coach Carter taught his players that they must be committed and work hard to excel. This is good movie for people who like sports. (Paramount, Run time 2:16, Rated PG-13)(8/10)
90 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coach is a cut above.
michaelRokeefe28 June 2005
Realistic drama based on the true story of Coach Ken Carter(Samuel L. Jackson), a daring and inspiring coach that returns to Richmond High School in Richmond, California where he still held records from his basketball exploits. Carter accepts a little over $1,000 to work four months as basketball coach for a team of uncooperative, but heady young men. Carter has the players sign a contract to keep their grades up or be suspended from the team. When it is known that his players are not making the grade average and/or just not showing up for class; community outrage erupts when Carter benches his undefeated team and locks them out of the gym. In storybook fashion, the players left on the team bring their grades up and continue their Cinderella season to the state playoffs.

Typical slam dunks, ally-oops and no-look passes. PG-13 violence, language and sexual content. COACH CARTER stands and delivers. Worth watching more than once. Cast members include: Rob Brown, Channing Tatum, Robert Ri'chard, Antwon Tanner, Rick Gonzalez and a sterling performance from singer Ashanti. Jackson should be very proud of his outstanding portrayal as the inspiring coach.
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific
bob-rutzel25 June 2005
Ken Carter (Jackson) takes over a losing California high school basketball team and employs extreme measures to turn things around.

Yes, we have seen this before: a hard-assed coach molds his players into the image he desires for them. Yes, Samuel L. Jackson pontificates a lot in here. But all coaches pontificate to a large degree and it is justified. And, yes, it is a little too long, but so what? The basketball scenes are truly something to behold. The acting all around is excellent. And, yes, this is a terrific movie.

Okay, now for the down side. Why does Carter wait until the team is 9-0 to find out his players are not living up the contract they signed with him? The players are falling behind academically and Carter locks them out of the gym until they turn things around. But, waiting until 9-0 doesn't seem to have bothered anyone. Something doesn't seem right here, but no one has questioned this aspect. Even Carter doesn't say he should have looked harder sooner. Why not?

Now, in real life Carter owned a sports store. That is probably the reason I kept seeing different uniforms for just about every different game. When some basketball game scenes opened I had to wait until Carter calls the team over to the bench to see what players were his team, and then I knew what color jerseys his team had on. Before that, the action was so fast and furious I couldn't really tell. It's not like the players' faces were widely recognizable to viewers.

This is must see movie.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coach Carter was the best show i have seen in awhile.
debbcmi13 February 2005
This show was more then a show. It was long but you don't realize it. its one of those movies that you watch and say "its already over". IT was a positive influence for young kids to watch. I was so impressed with this movie that i cant say enough good things about it. I think some of the professional ball players could take some lessons from this high school coach. We could all be so lucky to have a man like this in our kids lives that actually cares for each and every child. The show is based on the real coach carter, so i looked up some of his internet pages. I think you will be impressed as well if you do some research after seeing the movie, Deborah
41 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies around
cool_as_ice1424 October 2005
This movie isn't just about sport but has an underlying moral message which is been shown throughout the film. Sport won't get you far unless your a great but study and hard work in school will get you everywhere. Enter, a town that is quite poor and a basketball team who just want to win. Once Ken Carter accepts the job, the whole team changes and it is for the better. Another message this film teaches is respect, at the beginning just after meeting the boys, Ken expresses a need for the boys to show respect not only for themselves but for their friends and elders. He does this by explaining how the word 'nigger' can be used as a degrading term and how by dressing themselves with respect, behaving respectfully isn't bad at all.

As soon as I saw this film, I knew that I wanted to see it. It has everything that makes a great movie, action, great dialog and most importantly, a good moral message and in a time where morally corrupt movies are on the rise, a great movie like this is a rare find.

Intiallly, my friends didn't want to see this movie with me as they thought it was boring, and too intense but after months and months of waiting, I finally hired it out on DVD and watched it.

You can actually take things away from this movie and it has a very good morals which can be applicable to everyone.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Lean on Me" meets "Miracle"
IMSandman26 June 2005
I give this movie 7 stars.

All in all this is a good movie. As the title suggests, it is basically "Lean on Me" (Morgan Freeman) merged together with "Miracle" (Kurt Russell).

Of course the sport here is basketball instead of ice hockey, but the story is very good.

Jackson's performance was solid as expected and the supporting cast made the story believable. While it certainly was not the best sports movie ever made, it is based on a true story and is worth a rental if you like Samuel Jackson and/or if are into sports movies.

Happy Viewing!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coach Carter Review.
IndianaFord24 January 2005
Coach Carter is the story of a basketball coach who was persistent and had his priorities straight. The positive message the movie conveyed was that lives can be changed for the better through self discipline, hard work and the building of character. I was thinking to myself that the whole story was pretty believable, but then I looked into it and found it to be a true to life story so I guess it really is believable.

Samuel L. Jackson put in a convincing performance as the strict Coach Carter, as did the rest of the cast members. The movie, itself, was reminiscent of Lean On Me. It was the same basic story with the disciplinary figure helping the distraught kids through life.

I found it disappointing that the parent of the basketball team emphasized a mere game over something vastly more important, education. I rated this movie 7 of 10
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Points awarded for drama NOT for depth
the_usual_suspect28 May 2005
From the same school of plot development that Dangerous Minds attended, Coach Carter tells the story of the Richmond basketball team who learn that 'student' comes first in 'student athlete'. Cliché philosophy and lines such as "I met you as boys and now you're men" are given pride of place is this film, but for entertainment value and moral fortitude, you can't go far wrong with this effort from the director of Save the Last Dance.

The problem with the film as a media text is that it does not stand up to deconstruction. Behind the camera is a director who has no distinctive style. The action packed basketball scenes spice up this drama but never excel beyond music video quality, which is not an insult. The editing is snappy and mixed with the basketball beat of hip hop, the energy of the matches being truly communicated, but no effort is made to do something new with the camera angles. The way to enjoy this film is not to look beneath the surface, instead just allowing yourself to be carried away by the innocent excitement of simplicity.

Coach Carter was always going to need a strong lead to gain the substance that is has done. The no nonsense and iron willed demeanour that Samuel L. Jackson brings to the role makes him ideal for putting across the image of a man who can hold court in front of these hard life ghetto teens. What Jackson also brings is an amusing aggressive streak that make the audience glad they are not in the gym with this psycho who, despite pounding his players with endless 'submissions', still locks the gym when their grades don't come through.

Carter is a difficult character to understand. He seems ready to refuse entry to hard nut bad boy Timo Cruz (Rick Gonzalez), but caves in when Junior Battle (Nana Gbewonyo) turns up at his shop with his mother and begs forgiveness. As the film progresses however, we learn that Carter is doing everything he can to get his players into college and gain a life worth living, presumably to become what Carter himself has.

The players Carter strives to impact upon succumb easily to Carter's will. Occasional outbursts punctuate what is mostly a submissive relationship between coach and team and director Thomas Carter seems focused on delivering a realistic ensemble rather than the typical teen comedy entourage of weird and outrageous characters. It is a little unnerving being thrown into a gym with an unbreakable coach and a group of muscular teenagers who need to work to get average grades and can't roll off witty one-liners like the teenagers in other films in the genre. This decision to communicate realism is brave, but gives the film an enhanced depth that makes the lesson learned at the end more heart warming and honest. The ending is one of the film's three pointers, going against not only the conventions of the genre, but of Hollywood.

What lacks is subplot development. Timo Cruz's drug running is given screen time between matches but ends abruptly. Cruz shoots from being a hard case to being a shivering wreck on Carter's doorstep, in need of a strong father figure which I suppose we are to assume Cruz does not have. A little background here would not have been amiss. Cruz's doorstep tears also bring to attention the relationship between Carter and his son Damien (Robert Ri'chard), which appears very son-and-sir in nature. There is a hint of tension beneath the surface that we glimpse at when Damien arrives late at practise, and there may also have been an undertone of jealousy when Carter hugs Cruz, but this is not elaborated upon and there is a slight emptiness in their bond.

However, Coach Carter remains entertaining throughout. Realism and drama team-up to hit home hard the lessons that the team learn. Their struggle to overcome the stigma of their stereotypes is captured patiently, yet there is never a dull moment. Samuel L. Jackson brings a mountainous presence to his role that allows the audience to feel the film's extremes of pride and disappointment to a great extent. Involving emotionally and arresting dramatically, but superficial textually (although points awarded for fearlessness in parts of the subject matter).

Rating: 3/5 By Joshua Morrall
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable tale based on real deeds of Coach Ken Carter, a controversial high school basketball coach
ma-cortes19 September 2013
A classic tale of self-improvement , triumph and redemption , being based on a true story . It begins on the street and it ends playing a state championship . Sport film with sentimental story and intelligent character studio . Classic story rings true because of Samuel L. Jackson 's complex and sensitive acting and stunningly realized by Thomas Carter . Exceptional Samuel L Jackson who gets a chance job coaching a High School team , displaying a first rate performance reaching an important milestone . It is set in Richmond where basketball is the sport of the Gods ; there a high school basketball team gets an opportunity , thanks to supposedly experienced coach . A coach with an experienced past trains a high school basketball team to become a top contender for the championship . Controversy surrounds high school basketball coach Carter after he benches his entire team for breaking their academic contract with him . The coach makes the team and each person in it , better than they thought possible . The physically unsuitable team to achieve for big time , thanks to the coach who triumphs over by odds , but sheer determination helps them attain their dream . The team was undefeated and on it's way to the 1999 State Championship, when Coach Carter received the low grades of his players. The team dreams of playing basketball final , no matter how far-fetched the dream .

This is an agreeable tale based on true events , it contains a classic plot and deals about a slice of American history , and is plenty of good feeling , heartfelt, interesting characters and formidable performances . However , being sometimes some sentimental and predictable but is still pretty amusing . Likable and enjoyable plot about a team and the coach , he carries out a hard challenge : Carter cancels all team activities and locks the court until the team shows acceptable academic improvement ; but both of them face the dual duel of bringing the players to the state championship and redeeming themselves . Splendid film from the filmmaker and writer John Gatins , of another David beats Goliath sports movie in which protagonists assume a difficult challenge . Sentimental plot stretches Hollywood manipulation , but is still entertaining . Samuel L . Jackson delivers an engaging acting as is backed by a good supporting cast such as Robert Ri'chard as his son Damien Carter , Debbi Morgan as his wife , Rick Gonzalez as Timo Cruz , Antwon Tanner as Worm , Vincent Laresca as Renny , Ashanti as Kyra, Texas Battle as Maddux and Channing Tatum who a bit later on would become a first world star ; in fact , Tatum had never played basketball before making the movie so he had to have individual training with the coaches to get up to speed with the other actors. Atmospheric and adequate musical score by Trevor Ravin , plenty of rap music . Fine production design and good sets , filmmakers had trouble filling the FieldHouse with extras for the final game, and needed to move people around when shooting different angles . The motion picture was compellingly directed by Thomas Carter , he's a notorious writer , producer , actor and director , as he realized other films for youth such as ¨Save the last dance¨ and ¨Swing kids¨. Rating : Better than average , worthwhile seeing and it ranked #4 on the highest opening weekend of any release from an MTV Film .
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very good film to watch
chandrasekharkolla2 July 2021
This is an emotional and inspirational movie which you can watch along with your kids. Although the plot can be easily guessed taking and action by Sam L Jackson is next level.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Basketball Film Ever !!
lulutadic4 June 2021
It's definitely one of the best movies ever. I can watch it ten times a day. It's wonderful, it's inspiring and it's cool. It has everything a film needs. The actors are great and very realistic. I can definitely recommend it!!
Enjoyable film!
MichiganMan8713 January 2021
8 out of 10

Brillant movie
swatigpmc28 July 2020
Movie is full of insipiration and courage to achieve goal in your life.Coach carter is very challenging role who taught everything to his students. I enjoyed and learn how we can passionate our dreams.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A testament to the power of sport
ethanbresnett18 June 2020
There were lots of striking similarities between Coach Carter and Remember the Titans which I also watched recently. Both based on real events, they tell the story of a sports team who are anything but a team, too used to losing and with no hope of redemption. Enter the stern coach who shakes things up, gets them winning, teaching them respect and discipline along the way.

I must say I love these types of stories. Sports movies can often be overlooked as a genre, but there is so much heart, passion, emotion and character in the majority that I have seen. Despite the subject matter, don't think that this film is purely for basketball fans. I've never watched a second of basketball in my life but was engrossed nonetheless in the trials and tribulations of the players and the team. This is a human story as much as it is a sports one, with an emphasis off the court for lots of the film.

The biggest triumph of this film for me is Samuel L. Jackson's performance. The character of Ken Carter was a deeply interesting one, but interesting because of his simplicity. He was a man with a firm set of principles from which he never wavered, making him a central and unmovable force in the movie. The rest of the cast were equally great, particularly Rick Gonzalez as Timo Cruz, one of the more volatile members of the team.

I also thought that the script was very solid. There's nothing I love more than a good motivational sports related speech, which Coach Carter has aplenty, all excellently delivered by Sam Jackson.

For any sports film you want the actual sports element to be realistic. As mentioned I've never watched basketball, but it seemed pretty real to me. Good camera work during the games, nice flowing montages, creation of suspense. Not much more I could ask for from the basketball action.

Last but not least the soundtrack for Coach Carter was spot on, matching the tone and vibe of the film exactly.

Coach Carter, much like Remember the Titans, is a testament to the power of sports, expertly demonstrating that its not just a game. Sport is so much more and informs and develops every facet of an individuals life, which Coach Carter displays in bucket loads. A great film which will lift you up and provide 2 hours of solid entertainment.
Favorite Film and Inspirational
anthonydapiii9 May 2020
I'm always honest in these reviews.....I watched this movie more than 3 times.

It is amazing. A mix of sports and self-improvement that leads to the path of change for all players and the school.

I love the underdog story. I love this movie because it shows what one coach/person can do to change many lives.

The underdog to the best dog.
Inspirational
Gordon-111 December 2013
"Coach Carter" tells the story of a basketball coach who refuses to give up on a bunch of failing high school students in a deprived area of the city. The way Ken Carter insists and persists to help the students using his unconventional ways, being the call of his duty, is truly remarkable. There are so many thought provoking lines from Carter, such as saying "That's exactly the problem" when responding to the principal's accusation of him taking the highlight of the students life away. How Carter motivated the students to be champions, not just in the basketball court, but in life as well, is truly inspiring and emotional. I really enjoyed this film.