The 4400 (TV Series 2004–2007) Poster

(2004–2007)

Excellent
Miles-1026 July 2004
This is an extremely ambitious but well-written and well-acted sci-fi story. The key is that it is not just about weird goings-on but rather, what people might do under weird circumstances. The answers are touching and thought-provoking. There are drawbacks and potential drawbacks. The show is not over yet; we don't know what it will look like when it is over, but so far, very good. I wish they had a larger budget so they did not have to skimp on special effects. But then, like early X-Files episodes--which this most closely resembles, the show relies more on the viewers imagination than on special effects.
105 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Good
jpintar11 July 2004
The 4400 is a very interesting story that I have not seen before. What happens after a person has been abducted by ETs and returns a number of years later. They find their loved ones dead. The neighborhoods they knew are gone. Their family had assumed they're dead and moved on. What would the readjustment be like? That is the story of this very fascinating miniseries is about. I will be sure to watch the rest of this series to see what happens. I'm sure some people will learn how to cope and some will not. But is there something more sinister going on? The 4400 is the cure for the summer boredom. I wish the networks would stop putting on one idiotic reality show after another and have shows that are at least have some ambition to them. Why does junk like The Simple Life and Fear Factor stay on the air and shows with ambition are banished to cable. That's where the viewers should go. Watch this show.
117 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Done
lsnyder7216 September 2005
I must absolutely agree that this show relies more on imagination of the viewer rather than special effects. For me, I wouldn't have it any other way. I like the fact that it makes me want to watch the next episode to see what happens next. What it takes from effects definitely makes up with outstanding performances, well rounded imagination, and an excellent plot. I would recommend this series not only to avid sci-fi watchers but also to lovers of other genres as well. It has a certain flair that I feel would appeal to all audiences, young and old. If you liked the suspense of the X-Files you will be on the edge of your seat with this one. Lots of twists and turns to keep you coming back for more. I would say keep your eyes to the skies and keep an open mind. Not only will you want to know what happens next, you'll be waiting for the next episode to find out. Two big thumbs way up!
57 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unusual and under-rated sci-fi classic - worth a watch!
mde-108 August 2006
Watching the 4400 is a bit like going to quiet café for a quick bite to eat and, unexpectedly, having one of the best meals of your life.

Hard to follow, and occasionally borderline kitsch, somehow The 4400 keeps you hooked with the fascinating characters, deep plot and unpredictable turns.

The storyline is highly original. The actors and the characters that they play are highly engaging. It tests some scientific and moral boundaries and makes some other programmes seem like music videos in comparison.

I think it is a sci-fi classic which, like Dune, will be loved by a small hardcore of fans, whilst most will just scratch their heads wondering what it is all about.
52 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even better on the 4th go-round
globalfreak-221 January 2005
Amending my statement as to the greatness of this show, which, I should point out, has been online since '05. Let me reiterate most vehemently: this was by far one of the best shows ever on TV. I think that Heroes is such a corporate fraud of this program. I liked Heroes for a while, but never forget that I knew from the beginning that it was a corporate takeover of the much better 4400. Now I can barely stand it. The plot is all twisted and crazy. The 4400 at least deserves a mini-series followup in which some of those tangled threads are sown up. This is by far one of the best shows ever. Take a look and see. The hero vs. villain plot was really fleshed out in season 4, only to end to abruptly. I know that the writers strike had a part in the shows demise, but still: NBC owns USA and thereby at least could grace us with a replay on SciFi, another NBC holding. They replayed KINGS or whatever its called, and it is no where near this caliber. I say again: mini-series of 4400 to resolve some stuff or else!
82 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing TV series
theguys13 June 2006
The 4400 is easily one of the best sci-fi shows on television. Every episode builds up suspense almost as cleverly as 24. You form a bond with all of the characters as the series progresses and it leaves you on the edge of your seat, wanting so much more. I honestly must say I can't wait for next season. Any of these absent-minded posters who give this show a bad rating should be ignored.

Each episode features another 4400 that has interesting abilities from the future and usually their powers have a repercussion, and Tom Baldwin and his team at NTAC try everything they can to bring the 4400 to justice or help them balance their powers.

The 4400 is a winner, and you will not be disappointed if you watch it. Rating: 10/10
53 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing! The best show I've ever seen.
Growlyted1 January 2005
The 4400 is in a word - amazing! The acting is excellent and I'm glad it's an ensemble piece. The vulnerability of Shawn as he struggles with his abilities & social life is well captured by Patrick Flueger. Maia (Conchita Campbell) is innocently cryptic. The romance between Richard & Lily is sweet and deals sensitively with racial issues. Tom & Diana learn to care about the returnees as people, not subjects, and certainly prove themselves in the fantastic finale. The remainder of the cast including Kyle (Chad Faust) in a mysterious coma and Jordan (Bill Campbell) as the sinister, self appointed leader of the 4400 are also well cast. The storyline kept me gripped throughout. The music was well chosen, especially "Bye Bye, Baby" in the pilot. I love the title sequence too. The effects are superb. The second season proved to be just as exciting and emotional, as the first. It also introduces Jeffery Combs, my favourite Star Trek actor. It's his best role yet. Each key character gets a storyline of their own, which intercut nicely with the overall arc. For every question answered, there's a new one raised, so you're never bored. This is essentially a show about people, rather than solid sci fi, which is a definite plus. Well worth buying the DVDs. I'm sure Season 3 will be equally fantastic. I can't wait. A+++
98 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078
Tss507827 August 2016
The 4400 was a science fiction show, that featured time travel, strange powers, government agents, conspiracies, and a whole lot more. After a very solid, yet writers strike shortened first season, The 4400 looked like it was going to be Heroes meets the X-Files, easily the next big thing in science fiction television. If that wasn't enough to interest fans, the show also had a head start, as its creators weren't newcomers. The 4400 was the brainchild of Rene Echevarria (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Scott Peters (V, The Outer Limits). The show looked like a can't miss, then came Season 2...

Seattle Washington, 2004 - It's a seemingly normal night, when a space satellite picks up something unusual. Government agencies are in a panic, as this weird object descends over a mountain lake and emits a bright white light before vanishing. Once it's gone, 4400 people stand on the banks of the lake, 4400, who as it would turn out, have at one time or another been missing since as far back at the 1940s and as recently as six months ago. There's a big to do about what to do with these people, but they are soon released and a new agency is tasked with tracking and monitoring them. A seemingly easy job, until it's discovered that many of them have developed super human abilities.

The premise of the show is fantastic, on top of that it was created by one of the guys who is behind Star Trek: The Next Generation, basically a God in my eyes, and if that weren't enough it features Joel Gretsch, who is one of the most believable, realistic actors to ever play a federal agent in the history of television. This show had everything going for it, even the ratings were good, so why did they have to go and change things so much! Despite good ratings and reviews, people thought the show was too much like the X-files, so they turned the 4400 into this kind of religious cult. Instead of being a mostly episonic show with underling story lines, the show went continuous, spending all of it's time following just a handful of characters. The line between good and bad, blurred, and most times you really couldn't follow who was doing what for whom and why anyone was doing what they were doing. After the first season, there were a couple of good episodes here and there but by season 3, the whole thing had just completely fallen apart.

I readily admit that I watch far more television than most people and far more than television than any normal person should, so trust me when I tell you, that in all my years of doing this, I have never seen a show go so quickly from as good as the 4400 was, to as bad as it became. It defied all logic, honestly did the actors and network involved in producing the shows not realize that after a while the whole thing just didn't make any sense anymore? The bottom line is that the 4400 should have been the next Heroes, X-Files, Lost, Fringe, what have you. It should have been that next big sci-fi show, that had everyone talking. Instead too many chefs ruined the pie and the show literally became unwatchable.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show that keeps getting better and better...
xman197418 June 2005
The 4400 pays homage to a number of different science fiction shows, but manages to consistently put its own unique and original spin on the story lines week after week.

The tone and the atmosphere of the show hit just the right notes. The acting is good all around with standouts Billy Campbell playing a totally different kind of character than in "Once and Again" and Conchita Campell convincingly playing equal measures of cute and creepy.

After seeing the first couple of shows in Season 2, I am looking forward to seeing where the 4400 is going to take us.
43 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a stinker!!
innocuous26 November 2005
I had high hopes for this series when I rented the DVD. The reviews and comments have been generally positive.

Unfortunately, it seems as if I watched a different series. The writing was awful...contrived and unrealistic. The special effects were not even good enough to be "skimpy". (Come on! You couldn't afford to put two characters in front of a REAL cabin and photograph them? You had to superimpose them rather poorly on a photograph of a cabin?)

By now you must know the gist of the plot. So we have 4400 "returnees" showing up in a ball of light from what appears to be a comet. Naturally, all news coverage and websites concentrate on the 4400 returnees. There's virtually no discussion of ETI or how they got back or what exactly is going on.

Then the DHS (which I gather is charged with handling alien abductee returns) decides that the best they can do is put TWO investigators on it. One is a flaky FBI agent who happens to be closely related to one of the returnees (yeah, the government is real keen on putting relatives in charge of investigations). The other is a CDC investigator (I gather that being abducted by aliens is also considered some sort of disease). As far as you can tell from this show, the Federal government can only spare a couple people to investigate the whole darn event.

None of the characters act in any way that can be considered the least bit natural, plus, the writers have this dedication to making social commentary through the script. This ends up being heavy-handed and totally out of place.

The creepy little girl is the final straw. You start yelling at the screen, "Hey, dimwit! You might STAY with foster parents if you quit telling them about the future and making remarks about their deaths!" She's a super-intelligent (and apparently psychic) little girl who can't seem to understand that her little eccentricities might freak people out.

All in all, this series royally deserved to be canceled.

* (for effort) out of *****
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect example of how to ruin a nice plot
kv-pradeep1 April 2016
The idea had a huge potential to be a very interesting sci-fi show, but they screwed it so bad... I couldn't watch past half of second episode of first season...

the lead duo have no chemistry, they look like two employees at a DMV office rather than mystery solving partners!

In the second season.. the lead female couldn't be more dumber... instead of leaving the Bailey dude alone... they shoot him for no reason!

The other characters are way too much of a cliché...

Its a pandering set of characters, none of them alive or involving.

The writers should just go jump into a shark infested waters.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's like coming back from heaven and realizing that everything has changed.
crysclr19 July 2004
i didn't watch "The 4400" from the beginning, but when I tuned in, it hooked me and reeled me in, in a quick 60 seconds. What interested me the most was how the people left behind reacted to the people who had returned. Some freaked out, shouting crude and spiteful remarks to some of the returnees; others just were afraid to go near them. They couldn't seem to handle a person whose disappearance was mystifying, and whose reason for returning, place from which they had returned, and a source of a power, so extraordinary...could just not been explained. Those returning from a past unknown don't remember where they came from--where they had been for so many lost

years...They come back unchanged, physically and emotionally-fully capable of functioning, fully remembering the life they last saw before they vanished. But when they come back, they realize the life they had left behind was not the life that re- greeted them was landing on the place called home.

People grew up. People changed. People died. And the returners felt an emptiness like never before---like, they lost out on some wonderful life they knew they would have had, if only, they never left.

it's like coming back from heaven and realizing that everything has changed. But you're still the same. You're still you. An old man, married for 20 years. A little girl with parents still well-alive. A brother and a son, in high school, tall, handsome and healthy. In your heart and mind, you have taken these memories with you--memories of the life and the people you once loved have embedded themselves deep within your heart, and you wonder why the world has kept spinning without you. You were gone, but can't quite remember where you had gone to and what you were doing in that period of time...you don't remember....you can't remember, and you feel like an alien on your own planet. A stranger to your own world....your own home...Earth.
42 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea, poorly done
shanti-md25 January 2008
The idea is interesting, and it's refreshing that people from future are in game, and not aliens again. And also, music, title sequence and effects are very well done.

But story is not believable and neither is acting.

I can't believe how unrealistic and incompetent American government and her officials are displayed. Well, except the part about acting all morally righteous, especially with people from other countries (Rwanda).

It's a shame, because this could have been a great SF.

Have you noticed advertisement?
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seasons 1&2 Good, the rest, Pretty Bad!
TheEmulator231 July 2007
Man I hope it's not just me, but Season 3 was terrible, and even though Season 4 just started my hopes that it would be better this year have been dashed so far. It's not just me that thinks that is it? The 1st season was great (mini-series included) and even the second was pretty good. But now it just seems to be lost! I don't know what the hell the deal is with it, but it seems like the writers are snoozing or maybe they are off on other more important projects, I don't know. It is a real shame because there is nothing else to watch during the summer. I really wish they would get with program and make it enjoyable to watch again. If this keeps up, I doubt we will see a fifth season.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another sci-fi show cancelled before its time... the execution killed it
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews31 December 2007
I've watched every episode of this. After months of uncertainty, The 4400 was cancelled. Possibly a victim of the writers' strike, probably not the only one... but it would be unfair to put all the blame on said union act. Yes, this show definitely had its ups. Yes, there were occasional great episodes, such as the season two finale(which shall remain nameless in this review, to avoid spoilers), and even the rare extraordinary one, such as Life Interrupted. Yes, some of the show was fantastic. Some of the writing was intelligent, realistic. Several points made, themes explored, were very interesting. There was genuinely good and worthwhile science fiction found here. How often do you find that on television? Among the action and the special effects there were parts that were truly impressive. The drama wasn't without accomplished moments. No, this show wasn't all bad. But all the wasted potential is just difficult to overlook. The problem is, the very concept is flawed... it's partially overreaching(twelve episodes per season), and it's also just not limited enough. The obvious gaping plot hole, the logic problem, was never addressed(I cannot reveal what it is here, because it would be a spoiler)... in fact, the show always seemed unwilling to limit itself, for purposes of concise story-telling(and never run out of material... and for an inestimable amount of such, not to mention only having 42 episodes in total, for four seasons, they had far too many episodes that... just weren't all that good). Said storytelling did have something to offer, but not very much. There were too many things that they seemed to never really explain. Plots and ideas were introduced, seldom developed enough, and they either were not concluded, or it was done in an abrupt and unsatisfactory manner. Characters were presented, explored(if even that), and dismissed(another error in that department is arguably taking the Mulder & Scully approach). Acting was hit-and-miss. The symbolism was blatant, sometimes even insulting. It always seemed like it was going somewhere, bigger, smarter, better, and it just never got there. If it had some message, it lost it along the way. The season finales got increasingly more desperate, trying harder and harder to be given a renewal, and to promise viewers more, but continually failed to deliver. They almost never seemed to handle actors being unavailable terribly well, either. In the end, this was a mini-series that got unexpectedly high ratings, so the network decided to capitalize on that(and the lack of (new) Summer programming) by bringing it back as a series... and the producers may not have had enough of a plan. The people behind it maybe just weren't up to the task. The behind the scenes people were of insufficient talent, I suppose. I recommend this to fans of sci-fi and the actors(a certain one, perhaps known more from his horror work, who's done sci-fi before, appears... excellent as always, a bright spot in the show)... just don't expect consistent quality over the run of the series, or for everything to be wrapped up(partially due to the show's cancellation). 6/10
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S1 and 2 top, after that steady decline in quality, upsetting ending
Felix70219 August 2015
I just finished watching all 4 seasons on Netflix, and I have to say that S1 and 2 were really innovative and enjoyable Sci-Fi drama, with characters and stories you would care about. I also liked the idea behind the storyline.

Unfortunately the original storyline was washed away by adding more and more esoteric and religious nonsense in S3 and S4 , which amounted in the praise of a new Jesus (Jordan Collier) with a cult like movement willing to sacrifice half of the population of the earth because of some book and visions, a way that was hardly questioned in the end (altough it ends on a cliffhanger),and was indeed portrayed as good.

The whole mess started out when they added that rival group from the future trying to sabotage the 4400 with grown up Isabelle, instead of focusing on what really happens in the future (which was never made clear) and how the 4400 should prevent it, I mean set some milestones! By that time unfortunately a lot of plot holes started to emerge too, for example abducting Maia again and sending her further back into the past, or Tom committing "suicide" and being send back, Elena being abducted and send back further in the past too. I mean if it's just that easy to send everybody around in time and bring someone back from the dead into another dimension, what's the point of the 4400 anyway? Then everything goes, why not sending someone back to the ancient Romans and change course there, and if you don't succeed try again in the middle ages. ^^ They really should have focused more on the upcoming catastrophe in the future, on how and when it's going to start, how to prevent it.

Another frustrating factor were the relationships of Tom and Diana in S3 and 4. I mean I appreciate the fact that they for one time didn't do the obvious and brought Diana and Tom together, but their relationships seemed random and meaningless to the storyline, even Tom and Elana, but especially Diana and Marco/ Ben.

But the most upsetting part was the "let's bring god to earth" and "the solution for paradise is everybody on promicin" storyline. I guess looking back 2004-2007 was a time were evangelicals were on the rise in America and maybe that storyline reflects that a little bit, but it was unbearable to watch.

The idea behind this whole storyline alone contradicts everything we learned throughout the first 2 seasons, and that is that people with abilities are not automatically better human beings than people without. Just like the regulars some of them used their powers for good, some of the for their own sake or fraud, and some of them to hurt and kill people. I mean even the abilities itself were not in every case designed to do good, some of them were (like healing), others just caused destruction, chaos or violence.

That all was negated in S4 and especially in the finale, just do what some vision/ ability and an old book tells you (dumbest character of the series: Kyle) and give everybody an ability or let them die, because then you'll get heaven on earth, sure, no one out of billions of people will ever use an ability to kill somebody anymore, hallelujah, we are all reborn *facepalm*.

When you start skipping some scenes while watching to get to the end you know something has been lost in S3 and S4, and that's what happened when I watched. I'd still recommend it though if I have to rate all 4 seasons together.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good plot, very bad series
Xyphoid_Corporation25 February 2009
Just finished watching Taken and was surprised to see Joel Gretsch and Michael Moriarty again. The plot of the 4400 is very cool. No aliens, but people from the future.

It's just too bad that the story doesn't make me wanna know more about the characters. I do wanna know why all of those people were taken and why they were changed, but it wouldn't be a disaster if I never find out (which will be the case, since the show has been canceled...). Most of the actors were good, but even they couldn't take the story to a higher level.

I still give the show three stars, because of the soundtracks. The theme song is very cool and relaxing (like most of the songs they use).
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm looking forward to the continuation of the story in the next series
mqarkcambie31 August 2004
I actually quite enjoyed the first series. I was compelled to watch through to the final episode to see the characters story arc's develop.

Yes there are the typical Sci-fi clichés (maybe 4400 by the time the show is finished?). But I would say that this is a Sci-fi show and not a Sci-fact show, and by it's very nature it's a work of fiction, thus real world science doesn't really matter or nessecarily apply.

The scene the first post was alluding to was (I'm sure) not intended to be a dazzling display of the script writers grasp of near and outer orbital rocket science, but a characterization of both the governmental paranoia and hopeless desperation that humans can exhibit when faced with seemingly futile situations.

Personally, I don't think the acting is too bad, yes it does smack of countless other Sci-fi shows and draws heavily on many common themes running through all Sci-fi series, but what shows don't? There is little originality in Sci-fi these days, but the premise of this show is at least relatively unexplored.

How many shows do you know that effectively try to portray the multitude of challenges that face abductees when they try to re-integrate into a society that seemingly doesn't want them, can't understand them or are jealous of them?

Comparisons are inevitable, but when you're subconsciously thinking "Mulder and Scully" or "Rouge and Wolverine" while you are watching supposedly new characters then as a script writer you've got to try to distance yourself from what could easily be considered as stereotypes. This is probably my greatest (and only real) criticism.

If the script writers were just a little less derivative, and a bit more adventurous then I think we have a winner.

P.S. Oh, and they need to stop the re-caps at the start of every darn episode, the fast forward button on my Tivo's getting worn out as it is.

Mqark.
32 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very little "Sci" Lots of "Fi"
chuckewe18 June 2006
I really wanted to like the 4400, and for the first few episodes, I did. The premise of abductees returning was intriguing, and in the first few episodes, watching the various "powers" of the returnee's was fun. Sadly, the poor acting of the major characters, especially Joel Gretsch, made what could have been a fun romp into SciFi, a long slow arduous horror show of constant over acting. Then, things turned from bad to worse. The plot lines devised to include the main characters, started to stretch the fabric of credibility. When the main "investigator's" nephew starts to show amazing powers, and eventually becomes the head of the 4400's secretive organization, the governmental agency doesn't balk at one of the most absurd conflicts of interest, which in the real world, would obviously negate his future involvement. He is partnered with female named Diana Skouris, (X file fans, sound like another female partner's name? Dana Scully anyone?) who also has a background in science (yet another Scully coincidence?) and "adopts" one of the 4400, a child who knows the future before it happens, she doesn't get removed from the case either. (Nor, in future episodes, when the investigators and government need to know things, like the location or targets of 4400 terrorist, do they employ let alone discuss the use of the child to help them know terrorist targets) Things get even more bizarre when Joel Gretsch's character marries a 4400. Again, no conflict of interest there. (another oddity, the woman he marries on the show, is the real life wife of Billy Campbell, who is supposedly assassinated on the show, by, surprise, Joel Gretsch's son on the show.) Like I said, the "Fi" just continues to get more bizarre. Its to bad, as many of the 4400 guest stars bring some interesting and refreshing acting and character developments. This show started off with some mystery and great potential, now, it has devolved into a bad soap opera, rife with convoluted relationships, in a poor attempt to include issues which were much better covered in Alien Nation, or X-Men, the natural instinct of people to fear the unknown or those who are different. It might not be too late to save the 4400, if only the writers would change back to the unfulfilled promise of the first few episodes. And a change in the leading man certainly would refresh what has become stale in less then 1 seasons and two episodes of the second.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely poor
CineCritic251712 April 2007
Just to counter 'some' of the reviews here on 4400 that have titles like 'Awesome' and what more; this show is beyond terrible.

I just finished the first 30 minutes of the pilot. That may not be a lot, but it was quite enough. First off I see a bunch of actors delivering what appears to be script. The Cliché-ridden dialog ranges from "I'm worried about you Tom" and "Is it supposed to be that bright?" The latter referring to a fastly closing comet as if the character already saw the episodes of this series and suspected it may not be a comet at all but rather an extra-terrestrial 'Ball of Light' made by a wannabe CGI-expert who normally does the catering.

The Intergalactic marble is counter-measured with ballistic CGI missiles. In clear sight we see the missiles hit the object somewhere beyond the moon. Not only did it take these missiles just a few seconds to get there, they must have been the size of a small African state to be visible that far away. Despite their gigantic size, the SGI-Missiles have no effect and the Ball of Light conveniently descends in the back-garden of our protagonist's Observatory of Stray Alien Objects. It must have had a map.

After the Ball of Light delivers a couple of thousand CGI produced actors, the contest for the Worst-Wooden-Dialog-Award continues. Some of the CGI-actors turn out to be real people and they are held hostage by Homeland Security for 3 weeks being thoroughly interviewed while none of the returnees remembers a damn thing of their trip in the ball of Light. I'm sure this made for excellent conversation during those interviews.

Eventually the returnees are set free. One of them is a woman who's been gone for 10 years and thinks it would be a good idea to visit her daughter and husband after so long. When she gets to the house where her husband and daughter live, the screenwriters truly run out of inspiration and quickly down a six-pack of tequila flavored beer. Seeing his wife return after being gone for ten years, being abducted by aliens no less, the husband, in no more than 4 lines, tells her that 'alas things have changed for him' and adds a hasty 'sorry' as if he was sending some kids away who tried to sell him cookies. Without a single real-life emotion, the woman turns around and departs.

I don't know what the people that find this show even remotely enjoyable are on, but I wouldn't mind trying some of it.

This is considered good TV? Astonishing.
29 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I almost made the mistake of giving up on this series!
vyxngoisat19 November 2012
I grew to love this t.v. series. But some people here are right, this show takes a few episodes to get into. After watching the first three episodes in one sitting and I didn't think much of the show. I was at the point of moving on to the next series on my list of shows to watch but decided to give this show one more shot. I can't explain how the show sucked me in from this one episode on, but it did, and I'll be forever fortunate to have stuck with this series. The storyline just got so much more involving after the 3rd episode and the show became much more enjoyable. I can be too quick to judge television shows, maybe it's because I've enjoyed so many great ones and have high standards as to what is allowed to occupy my time.

After watching the complete series this show has become one of my favorites, although it was unfortunately canceled prematurely. Now, I've even purchased the novel that continues this series.

Great story, great acting, and a series that piques your imagination. And this series isn't corny like No Ordinary Family and it doesn't turn into a huge soap opera like the Heroes series. By the way, another great series similar to this one is Alphas, that's the one I'm on to now!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great TV Show!
g-data10126 June 2006
I thought that the first and second seasons of The 4400 (I haven't seen the third) were very well done. The plot was incredible and well thought out, and the surprises kept on coming. If you get the seasons on DVD be warned, you will loose a lot of sleep because you will always want to watch the next episode. The only problem that I found in the story was, there were too many characters on the story; but that is my own opinion, it might not be yours. Do yourself a favor when you next go to the video store, buy the 4400! You will not be sorry. And when season three comes out on DVD buy that one too! Hell, buy two! Buy one for your friends! Buy one for your pet hamster! This show breaks the marker for intelligent.
The 4400
a-dragon20 February 2005
The plot line of "4400" intrigued me.. 4400 people has disappeared the last 50+ years... Suddenly they reappear on earth, not aged one day, and not remembering anything.. But something has changed with these people. Something is different...

"The 4400" has the possibility to become a series of almost "unlimited" access for the creative process. If they want they can make 4400 episodes, just to explain the destiny of each and every one of the "returnees". So far, in season one, only 5 episodes has been made, including the pilot, and it looks good. First seasons often suffer under the pressure of establishing the cast and the story.. 4400 does this very good. Even after 2 episodes you got the notion of the different roles and characters, and you get truly "engaged" in the series. I saw all 5 episodes in one night! According to the website of the series the next season are to be aired in the summer of 2005.. I can't wait!
Not Very Good :(
jamesfnomar12 July 2004
I saw this premier last night and was very excited to see it. This was billed as the next best series on TV this year- it's not even close! Yes, the premise is cool and any show about abductions sounds promising but "The 4400" does not pull through. First, here are my complaints:

The actors/ actresses do not portray true emotion and are void of feeling. I could not get pass the horrible acting by the lead character.

The special effects are sub-par and look extremely cartoonish. "The Langoliers" came to mind a few times during the special affects scenes.

The first episode, although 2 hours in length, was way too jumpy from scene to scene. They seemed to rush through the plot and jump right into the next problem but it does not work. It takes you away from getting into the story. ie, *SPOILERS* when they find a comet is going to hit earth, about 1 minutes later they have already synchronized nuclear missile attacks heading for the object. The ridiculously fast pace is garbage.

The little girl is like a fricken robot and gets very annoying by the end. Who acts like this!!??

The superhuman aspect is another great idea but comes off as too "comic book" and not realistic enough to believe when this series is supposed to be a serious drama/ suspense show.

The only positive things I have to say about this series is the interaction between 1. The 1979 business man and his old wife and 2. the inter-racial couple. They brought feeling into the story and made the "4400" experience seem more realistic and heart-wrenching. I waiting over 2 weeks to see this show and will not watch another episode. I almost shut the TV off toward the end because it never grabbed my attention. Maybe I am too over-critical, but for the hype it got, I was not sold.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A series with 4400 stories and one more (mild spoiler)
keshayra31 January 2005
Having seen reviews of this series, I finally got to see it when my DVD arrived. The story is really compelling and thought provoking. It asks of the viewer the "what if" when 4400 people are returned to the present day after being snatched being some unknown beings. The events surrounding their return start of innocently, but then more and more of the returnees, or 4400s, are exhibiting unexplained psychic skills in varying degrees and levels. My favourite 4400 is undoubtedly Maia, and the actress playing her has a bright acting career ahead. The title music is so cool. I've almost totally memorised it. I am already looking forward to Series 2, and with so many snatched individuals there's spaces for 10 series. Well worth missing out on a night for!!! I give this series 11 out of 10 for effort, story and acting.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.