Haven (2004) Poster

(I) (2004)

A Nutshell Review: Haven
DICK STEEL18 January 2007
It all boiled down to one Friday the 13th night.

Haven takes place in the Cayman Islands, paradise on Earth, with beautiful beaches, friendly people, and of course, being the ideal place to stash cash, ill gotten or otherwise, free from taxation. In its seedier side, to paraphrase from another movie, weed is the currency, openly passed around in nacho chip bags. This movie ditches the idyllic moments, to peer beneath the veneer, of hell on Earth instead.

I like movies which have many characters, each with their own objectives, but being led by unseen forces as they relate to one another, and events bring them to within striking distance. They might belong to distinct story arcs, but given the geographical proximity, their lives, their decisions and the consequences all become intertwined.

There are three clear arcs in the movie, but the characters involved flit seamlessly from one arc to the next. You have the corrupt businessmen looking to escape the law at Miami, an affair, a daughter who hooks up with drugs and the wrong company, a sly thief of sorts, two star crossed lovers, a hot headed brother, good friends, and gangsters. On its own, they could be short stories. But when narrative style takes on the fragmented, non linear approach to spice and disguise an ordinary story, that's what you get in Frank E. Flowers' Haven.

Perhaps what will put bums in seats is the presence of Orlando Bloom, though the M18 rating would have restricted his girly groupie fans here from seeing their cinematic idol on screen in a role which is similar to what Tom Cruise did in Vanilla Sky, sort of. He plays the role of the Romeo in the star-crossed lovers arc, as Shy, son of a fisherman, still figuring out the meaning to his life, and having a lack of ambition which worries his girlfriend Andrea (Zoe Saldana). Parental disapproval gets into play, and the rest is a spiral downwards for both lovers and their relationship. Some say Bloom's role is intense, but there isn't enough room for his character to justify that.

And sadly, that was just about the better story amongst the three. In reality, all three could have been extremely short, as the scenes, though intercut with each other and had some overlapping moments, don't really contribute much to the characters or stories. You could have cut off half the fat, and still the story would hold water. One saving grace would be the score and soundtrack though, accentuating the illusion of paradise.

But this is not to say Haven's a really bad movie. It just had enough story elements to cruise along in auto-pilot, and in the process offer nothing groundbreaking stylistically, or earth shattering in having any twists and turns to the plot. Breaking up and juxtaposing a linear plot does not disguise the fact that it inherently needs a lot more oomph.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great ensemble piece
terrywdhs14 September 2004
I just got back from a holiday in Toronto where I had the pleasure of attending the film festival there. One of the films I ended up seeing was Haven, which I knew very little about beforehand. What an absolute gem of a movie it turned out to be. Similar in structure to Amores Perros, the tale unfolds from different perspectives. All actors played their parts well but there were three who deserve special mention. Victor Razuk as Fritz and Zoe Saldana as Andrea are definite names to watch in future. However, Orlando Bloom was the real genuine surprise here. I don't think I have seen a more heartbreaking performance all year. The disintegration of his character - Shy - provides much of the emotional centre of Frank E. Flowers gripping first feature length movie. He is a director who is going to be talked about a great deal in the years to come. All in all , I would have no hesitation in recommending this powerful, though somewhat dark movie, to any discerning film-goer.
78 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Traffic" with a touch of Quentin Tarantino
Tiedyedaisy14 September 2004
I saw the second screening of this film, at the Toronto Film Festival. It reminded me a little bit like the film "Traffic" with a hint of Quentin Tarantino. The movie threads together multiple story lines and shifts back and forth through time.

Bill Paxton has a great performance as a shady business man who escapes with this daughter to the Cayman Islands.

Orlando Bloom's character is the most endearing. I found I could relate to his character the most. Shy (Bloom) was the classic boy from the wrong side of the tracks, who is completely in love with the rich girl, Andrea (Zoe Saldana).

Zoe Saldana has a great performance as well. Her character goes from a sweet girl who makes a complete 180 turn to a druggie /(how to put this politically correct) very easy girl.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. Frank E. Flowers did a really great job with his debut. The story was really intriguing and the setting was beautiful. A really well done film.
54 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Flowers' Film Blooms
tranquility_girl13 September 2004
I also saw the world premiere of Haven on Saturday at the Toronto film fest and all I can say is that I was completely blown away by it. I don't know what I was expecting when I went into the theatre but what I got was something that kept my interest peaked through out the entire two hours and had me filled with questions until the very end.

Every actor involved in Haven was perfectly chosen and held their own with spectacular performances. Personally, I think that Bill Paxton is at the top of his game right now and Orlando Bloom is just to die for as Shy, a young fisherman on the Island. Zoe Saldana had me in tears with her performance and I can't wait to see it again when it finally comes to theaters. I think it's fair to say that Haven will put Frank E. Flowers on the map and he has earned it with this movie. Unbelievable. I loved it.
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant cultural view
Elf_Addict5 July 2005
I count myself lucky to have been able to see this movie at the Toronto Film Festival where it premiered. I thought the movie to be a brilliant look at the culture, something we as Americans don't usually see. The acting was wonderful from everyone in it. I enjoyed the way it was edited together, following separate story lines individually, then bringing them together in the end. I was completely surprised that this film was not immediately grabbed up and sent to screens everywhere. Then again, perhaps it was just too deep for some. I had no trouble following the action, although I've heard comments that some people found it confusing. Perhaps they weren't paying attention...

Hopefully without giving anything away for those who haven't seen it yet... I felt so terribly bad for Shy at the end of the movie.

I can't wait for Haven to hit big screens everywhere. I want all my friends to see it! BRAVO to everyone involved in its production.

Pat Grant

UPDATE (Oct. 2006): I see Haven is FINALLY coming to theatres... However I have heard that the movie went through a MAJOR re-edit and is a lot different that the version we saw in Toronto. I'm sorry to hear that. But I will go see it and support it, no matter what. It has a great cast.
44 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Choppy seas don't always mean a rough ride
Robert Yacht20 June 2005
I am glad to hear that this film will finally be released, albeit on DVD. I saw 'Haven' at the Toronto film festival and have been awaiting it's release ever since. I did think that the film was a bit choppy, which was mildly distracting, but that the overall ride was great. In following up his critically acclaimed short 'Swallow' with 'Haven', his feature film debut, Frankie Flowers proves that he is more than capable of writing and directing a full length film.

While it is a difficult task to jump back and forth in a timeline, from sub plot to sub plot, while keeping an audience interested; entertained; and able to follow, I believe that Flowers has done a splendid job despite sacrificing some of the continuity for stylistic shot making. Tarantino has tried, despite box office success, somewhat in vain in this regard for years. Movies such as Magnolia have come along and disappointed and perhaps the only film in recent years to truly excel in this style was Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's '21 grams'.

With strong performances from an ensemble cast of well known Hollywood stars and unknown local talent, 'Haven' is well acted from start to finish. Orlando Bloom leads the way with an excellent performance as the going nowhere fast 'shy', and proves that he can portray a modern day man between timepiece and fantasy blockbusters. Dare I say he would be better off, from an acting portfolio sense, taking on more of these roles.

I highly recommend 'Haven', especially in this age of over the top; special effects no plot movies. I hope that Flowers continues to be given opportunities to hone his craft and I look forward to his next piece.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Writing, Directing, Acting all Shine in Haven
greendog12325 August 2006
I attended a press screening of Haven on August 24, 2006. Here is my review: Producer Robbie Brenner, after reading the script for Haven, told Frank E. Flowers, writer and director, "I'll quit my job if you let me produce this movie." Many people couldn't believe the person who had written Haven was only 24 years old. Orlando Bloom (cast as Shy) was so taken by the script that he signed on to produce as well. He didn't, however, sign on to portray Fritz, the role he was initially offered. "I loved the script, but the role I most responded to was the character of Shy, who at the time was written as a young Caymanian kid about 15 years old," recalls Bloom, who was reluctant for Flowers to change the integrity of the script, but curious to see how he could do it. "I was amazed. In literally 48 hours, Frank came back with another script in which Shy had redeveloped into a character I could play. I knew right then that if he could do something like that, I wanted to work with him." At the time only 27 years old himself, Bloom also made his first foray in the producing role. "It was exciting to start at the bottom of a film and work your way through it, to really roll up your sleeves and get involved," he said. "It really made me emotionally connected to the movie, so much so that it became part of me." After seeing the movie tonight, I too, was astounded that such a complex story was so well told by such a filmmaker, and a producer/actor, both of whom were still a few years shy (no pun intended) of 30.

Let me state up front, I didn't attend the initial screening of Haven in 2004 at the Toronto International Film Festival so I'm unable to offer any comparisons of the earlier version of the film to the 98 minute version screened tonight. I've heard there's been some possible re-tooling and editing done since 2004. If so, the result is a tight, fast-paced multi-plot film replete with irony and more twists and turns than the complicated financial system of the island.

Flowers says he doesn't consider himself a historian or a sociologist, but he does know his way around the islands and a great deal about the rich texture of its culture. That knowledge and experience is evident when watching the film, as we're shown various locations around the islands, from glitzy vacation villas, to smoky food vendor stalls along unpaved roads, to the party spots where wealthy "off-shore visitors" come together with the island's underground drug/crime royalty to party, to a dusty schoolyard, to the humble home of a fisherman.

The film is classic non-linear, multi-plot. The two stories, one a love story, the other a crime story, wind their way around each other in space, character, and time. While it would appear at first glance that Andrea (played beautifully by Zoe Saldana) and Shy, the main characters of the love story, have nothing in common with Carl Ridley (played well by Bill Paxton) and Mr. Allen (played by Stephen Dillane with a brilliant sense of wit and white-collar villainy), one discovers, as the story progresses, that they, as well as other supporting characters in both stories, are all flawed, broken people. Even though they are surrounded by the beauty of a tropical paradise, the refuge they seek appears to be just beyond their grasp.

"What attracted me to the story is that all of the characters in it are broken, and subject to the tragic consequences of their actions," observed Saldana. "They all had flaws, and whether they were victims of circumstances of because of the choices they made, they were very real because of their imperfections." The movie's cast is a refreshing combination of Hollywood veterans and local Caymanians who were recruited, auditioned, and trained for several supporting roles in the film. This resulted in a delicious infusion of local Cayman culture into over 30 speaking roles.

The role of Shy provided Orlando the opportunity to show new freedom and depth in his craft, perhaps to a degree never before seen. Certainly, being liberated from the restrictions of working with a sword helped. He does have two other contemporary films under his belt; The Calcium Kid, shot before Haven, and Elizabethtown, shot after Haven. While both films were delightful, I still think he brings more passion and spirit to this film. We see a wider range of emotions, from tender love and hope, to humiliation and shame, emotional withdrawal, rage, confusion, and despair, to name only a few. It is acting in its purest state, and he shines in it.

The film, in my opinion, is gripping, edgy, hip, tragic, complex, beautifully scripted, and wonderfully acted. The non-linear time shifts that Flowers employs may be perplexing to some. However, I found it served only to keep my eyes riveted to the screen. It's the kind of movie that requires your full attention. You'll want to put down your bucket of popcorn so you don't miss anything.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too dreadful for words...but I'll give it a shot anyway: one fruitless attempt after another to be clever in this wanna-be movie.
Panterken12 September 2007
First let me explain my rating-system. I consider a 5 a movie that's somewhat watchable, a 6 is already a good movie. I gave Haven a 3 because the soundtrack was good and the acting wasn't horrible. Now over to the bad stuff...

I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone. Usually in my reviews I try to say something like: 'this movie isn't recommended for people who don't like slow-developing plots' or 'it's not for people who want the plot wrapped up neatly in the end'. But I can honestly and objectively say this movie was just one of poor quality. The biggest problem is the plot itself. The storyline is multi-linear, characters are being followed and they're all supposed to be connected in one way or another through an event or multiple events. Examples of brilliant use of this method is seen in Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Crash and Magnolia. In these films the story lines have similar prominent themes and the characters are all connected physically. Every character adds more elements to the story until we have a complex web of story lines, constantly crossing paths and having effects on one another. I know this sounds confusing but watch Amores Perros and Crash and you'll know exactly what I mean. Haven makes one fruitless attempt after another to be clever until all we end up with is an unsorted mess of scenes thrown together in a wanna-be movie. That's the best way to describe Haven: it wants to be a lot of things but ends up being rubbish.

The thing that irritated me even more then the gimmick mentioned above was the chronologically scattered framework that was used. I feel like they realized the plot and characters of their attempted intelligent film were overly simple, and they tried to jazz it up with a chronologically scattered framework to fool people into thinking they're watching something clever. I heard the story was chronological at the premiere of the Toronto film festival and then they re-edited the whole film to create the flashbacks. That's not the way to write a story with a scrambled up chronology. You have to actually write the script like that (with chronology switching from the start of your story) or the storyline will be a mess. The storyline has to flow naturally, even if you use chronology like that. A prime example a brilliantly written script that uses the same technique is Memento. The technique used actually adds something to the suspense of the story.

Nope, don't waste your time on this. I usually only write IMDb reviews for films I like but this film was just too dreadful for words, I felt it was my duty to stop another human being from seeing it. I don't see why anyone should see this movie. It's certainly not to be entertained and I hardly think anyone would be enlightened after seeing a film like this.

3/10 and I'm being generous.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Poorly shot, badly edited.
drorz8 September 2007
I just so it on DVD now.

An OK script goes to waste on 'inspirational' camera shots which are copy-cat & sloppy. The editing is so bad, there's little point to discuss it. While some of the acting is decent, the accent of the local Caymenees is hard to understand some of the time, and harder still to believe it comes off real. Some plot-lines are meant to be connected in a clever way, but we have seen too much of this before, and some parts are so generic-made it's painful. There is no promise from this film - no new actors, nothing to carry this film even to be a has-been; it is a never-was.

Hopefully, we'll see no more work from the makers of Haven.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entwined Lives on a Friday, 13th
Claudio Carvalho17 November 2007
In Cayman Island, the daughter of a powerful man - Andrea (Zoe Saldana) - and the fisherman Shy (Orlando Bloom) are in a deep but secret love, hidden from Andrea's parents. When Andrea's father sails in a fish-trip, they have a night of love at Andrea's home; however they sleep and are surprised by the arrival of her family in the morning. Later, Andrea's brother Hammer (Anthony Mackie) throws acid on the face of Shy and spends four months in prison. In Miami, the dirty businessman Carl Ridley (Bill Paxton) is chased by Federal agents and escapes with his teenage daughter Pippa (Agnes Bruckner) to Cayman Island trying to reach his lawyer Mr. Allen (Stephen Dillane). Pippa meets the small time thief Fritz (Victor Rasuk) sleeping in her room and he invites her to go a party. Before leaving the condo, Fritz sees Carl counting lots of money. Fritz owes money to the dangerous drug dealer Richie Rich (Razaaq Adoti) and tells him about the fortune Carl has. Along a Friday 13th night, their lives entwine in a chain of tragic events.

"Haven" is an entertaining movie, with a complex non-linear screenplay with many characters that have their lives entwined. There are many credible sub-plots and considering the running time of 99 minutes, the situations and characters are very well-developed. The direction and acting are great, there are many beautiful locations but the screenplay is really top-notch. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Haven"
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A stunning thrill ride through the wild youths and the crazed underground of Grand Cayman
Billie Bryan (Smile1902)24 September 2006
Speaking as a native Caymanian, I have to say I was especially impressed with this film. When news first got out of its production, I was sincerely hoping that it wouldn't amount to some lengthy, picturesque video brochure to attract further tourists to the island and, low and behold, it's anything but.

Haven is a gritty, fierce yet picturesque portrayal of realism surrounding Cayman's underground subcultures. From love to drugs to violence, Flowers and his team perform an astounding delivery of these themes through the use of raw, powerful drama, all the while winding around a multitude of heinous plots that grow and intertwine to the point of cataclysm. Brilliant.

Flowers is making a name for himself alright. And I'll be adding this thrill ride to my collection as soon as it hits DVD. Not jut because I'm a fellow Caymanian but because I consider this to be a great movie.
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pulp Fiction goes to the islands
mrisman12 September 2004
I saw this film at the world premiere last night at the Toronto Film Festival. It was a crime drama told in the non-linear style made famous by Tarantino. What really made this movie stand out from like-themed movies, was it's setting in the Cayman Islands. The culture of the Caymans is evident in every shot, every frame, and it give an entirely fresh perspective on subjects we've visited before.

Frank E. Flowers does a fantastic job of keeping the story coherent as we alternate between two timelines, set four months apart. The acting is strong and the entire film has a distinctive atmosphere.

The crowd seemed to love it, but then again, the entire cast was present and the audience was quite excited (especially by Orlando Bloom). Still, a very good movie. It seemed like it may have been a little long, perhaps ten minutes or so, but that really came from trying to establish the Caymanian culture, so it's understandable.
24 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haven
csl65622 September 2008
I have to say, I just saw this movie for the first time last night, and I think it portrayed the Cayman Islands as some drug infested little island. I am a descendant of the island and I am appalled to see that is how the island is being represented. Everyone in the movie spoke with a Jamaican accent and used phrases that are only used by Jamaicans. I cannot believe the Cayman people allowed this movie to be made and degrade this beautiful island where tourist goes to with their families for vacations. If I did not know better this would not be anywhere I'd want to go. Everywhere has drugs and crime, but this movie suggested that everywhere you go on the island that's all there is, the partying and the drugs and the killings. This Island is more than that and those who live there and depend on the tourist to survive should remember that. I vote this a ZERO.

A Cayman Island Descendant.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretentious and miserable...
Pepijn Schmitz19 February 2008
What a horrible movie. It's pretentious and wannabe cool, but the video-clip style editing and constant jumping in time just serve to annoy and confuse. The main problem is the depressing story though. It's about miserable people who all end up miserable, with no redeeming features such as an interesting character study or something like that. It appears to be an attempt at having many seemingly unrelated plot lines coming together at the end like a jigsaw puzzle, but the connections are so tenuous and arbitrary that that aspect falls entirely flat.

Utterly pointless, except for people who enjoy watching misery. The three out of ten is purely for the location, which slightly redeems the movie as something to watch for the pretty pictures.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haven is one stylishly cool flick!
yougotherefast2 March 2006
I saw this when it was screened at the Toronto Film Festival, and thought that it was brilliant. The style of the film is original and beautiful. The dialogue was great, the characters, create, and the feeling of chaos and tragedy effective. It's really unfortunate that Flowers is having such trouble trying to distribute the film; it is a genuine indie gem.

With a great soundtrack, cinematography (absolutely brilliant), acting (big names too), and archetypal tragic theme, I am continually surprised that Haven hasn't been picked up by anyone. Though I haven't seen it in nearly two years, its beauty and surprisingly honest (un-hollywoodised) story and characters have stuck with me. If this movie goes unreleased and remains unseen, it will be a great loss.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very interesting Indeed
dikshant18 March 2007
I had this DVD from a friend for quite some time, but because of its low ratings on IMDb, i just kept pushing it away. Let me tell you i am really glad that i did see this film last night and am very impressed. The most striking feature of this movie is its Direction and Sound. Frank Flowers is a very talented director and i wonder why hasn't he got enough opportunities after this one. The Fact that movie was made in 2004 impresses me the most because of its very contemporary style and techniques. Movie is a plain Scam-thriller and goes about its job of presenting it in an extremely interesting way. The story line is quite simple but presented in a very slick way. You never feel that movie slows down at any point of time and its quite nicely stitched till the very end. Except for some average acting from lesser known actors (not Orlando bloom) in the movie, i cant find too many defects in the movie.

I am really looking forward to "Trespasser", the next from Frank.

-Dikshant
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
-- Gratuitous Multilinearity --
andrewjohnwallace14 September 2004
A very different movie than any other...the closest thing you can compare it to is Tarentino's "Pulp Fiction" but only because of it's multi-linear story.

The cinematography rocked. The acting was superb. The sound went unnoticed, so good work guys! But...

Usually in a movie like this, the multi-linear loose ends will cleverly tie together in the end showing why these particular characters were being followed. But it never did this. Bill Paxton and Orlando Blooms timelines ran almost totally autonomous from one another; crossing paths but never changing the outcome of the other. It was merely a gimmick. The first rule of film making...everything has to have a GOOD reason.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting, and very well done
brontes9929 January 2005
I was lucky enough to be able to see Haven in the Toronto film festival earlier this year. Considering it wasn't a highly anticipated film, I did not go in with high expectations, but came out extremely pleased.

The cast was very well selected, with an outstanding job by Orlando bloom, Victor Rasuk, Anthony Mackie and Zoe Saldana. The plot was well written, and even though it wasn't the most uplifting of films, it left an impression and I was pleasantly surprised.

Cheers to Frank E flowers, on a great job and an impressive second film.

********* 9/10
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Caymanian Dream Come True
taylorburrowes12 July 2005
It doesn't seem fair to compare this movie to any other, as it is clearly a fresh and original screenplay, meticulously weaved together by a brilliant and inspired first time feature film director. The challenge of bringing to the surface an unexposed culture, with a story that translates yet does not adulterate its personification, is an overwhelming and arduous feat. Frankie Flowers digs deep within his own personal and cultural experience to articulate an artistic and purposeful message. This message is more than the descriptives of its plot, but a personal exclamation of pride, ambition, and poetic communication of a representation of life known only to a select few, but understood by even less. His effort to communicate this to himself, his compatriots, and his audience speaks loudly, and reveres as much attention and intrigue as his characters command emotional participation and vulnerability.
16 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too much nose candy went into this picture
rowmorg23 May 2007
The director somehow forgot to TELL A STORY, and he overlooked to DEVELOP CHARACTERS. Incredibly, the action got all mixed up in the editing suite and no one was straight enough to sort it out. That's my guess. What else happens when a bunch of stoned young men get together to make a movie on Grand Cayman? The leading lady was set up to have turned sixteen that very day, when Orlando Mister-Twickenham Bloom pops over to make love with her. Trouble is, she looks about twenty-five. Bloom gets acid thrown in his face by her charming brother, and oh-so-luckily his face is wrinkled up, but both his eyes survive perfectly! The movie started like an international James-Bond-type suspenser, but later turned into a lackadaisical picaresque tale about an ordinary boat-polisher and his burning passion. Yawn. Couldn't be bothered to find out what happened, there was no end for it to happen in.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
just awful
Jay Harris21 June 2007
I thought I had written a review of this travesty of a movie.

There was absolutely nothing worthwhile in it . I agree with the last reviewer its too much nose candy.

They use a hand held camera to the extreme, I have seen better hand held camera work on "youtube."

The acting is second rate by a well known cast.

I will not insult them by naming them, same for the director & writer.

This was filmed on the beautiful Cayman Islands,It should have been done on the Santa Monica beach, that is how much it looked like the Caymans.

Rating * (out of 4) 25 points (out of 100) IMDb 1 (out of 10)
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Haven update
britcay-119 September 2006
Having seen both the original in Toronto two years ago at the Toronto Film Festival, I must say that the original was by far the better version to the one that I saw yesterday whilst traveling. The attempt to juxtaposition flashbacks in the Zalman King mode was not as good in the final cut.

The part of Frtiz was well cast. I look forward to seeing this excellent actor again.

Also, the fact that Orlando cleans boats is not clear. When he finds the gun, it looks like he is almost a burglar as opposed to a legitimate cleaner.

Maybe the DVD will have another version and other features to let viewers judge for themselves.

Morristown Fan
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Third-Rate....it's "Degrassi High" with a dash of "Miami Vice"
ptoogo27 September 2006
I don't think all the jumpy, hopscotch-style editing in the world can save Haven". Although in my humble opinion, there was really bad editing of this movie.

I thought the acting was good, but the writing was so weak that I found that I did not give a damn about the characters. I think Mr. Flowers must be a real "likable" guy....lots of actor friends willing to help him with this less than interesting story.

I'll bet whoever is running the Cayman Islands travel bureau is wondering if their beautiful little island can withstand this little thriller....showing lots of drugs and offensive language. I found the language to be offensive and unnecessary. I am sure that many of the religious folks in Cayman are still jerking nervously from this movie.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Edited in a Cuisenart
marc-26228 September 2006
I knew that I was in trouble when, in the first few minutes of the film -- as Orlando Bloom embraced his lover in the sea -- the boom mic came into frame twice. The entire film appeared to be one long gimmick. The flashbacks were completely unnecessary. Some characters enter the film and then exit with no motivation or wrap up. Some of the dialog was completely laughable (in the press screening I went to some people DID laugh -- out loud and often). Characters were introduced, forgotten for an hour, and then reintroduced with little to tie things together. The criminals in this film have got to rank with the most idiotic in cinema. They could not find their behinds with both hands. Get Orlando Bloom back in elf ears or his pirate costume -- QUICK! Haven has rushed to nearly the top of my list of the worst films of 2006.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Everything in life is about mistakes
Who you trust, who you love, who you hurt, sometimes you just don't get it, but one act can change many lives.

This movie was for me part of my "must see" list, I'm not gonna lie I'm an Orlando Bloom fan, and I was pretty sure he's a handsome guy, but until this movie I started thinking that he'll be a great actor one day, His Shy, half innocence, half Romeo, so angry, so sad, was amazing, all the range of emotions that an actor would need and that tights, bow and arrows kinda hide, all I'm saying is give the kid few years and will see a real actor behind the heartthrob act.

Zoe's character made me wonder if good, cute girls are really happy, so broken and hopeless, her brother was the perfect tough guy from the suburbs, a bad guy wanting to play with big guys being just a spoiled brat. Anthony Mackie killed me I wanted to slap him every time he was on screen

there was another story on all this, more obvious if you're watching, corruption and deceive, Dillane and Paxton are as usual, not only believable but real.

I have to mention Lee Ingleby, his Patrick is my favorite, in one second he stole my heart when he leans over, So much love in just a gesture and so much fear.

The lesson at the end: people, even good people can be cruel. there's something for every one, a complete roller-coaster of emotions and a carnival of characters that I'm sure you'll enjoy. They drag you out of the couch and make you feel and live this.

warning here, sometimes things happen too fast on this movie and you'll get a better impression after two views, so don't think this is bad because is a little complicated.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this