The Legend of Zorro (2005) Poster

The Legend of Zorro - Don't Compare It To The First One
mls-1128 October 2005
We saw "The Legend of Zorro" at our local theater tonight, long-anticipating a sequel to a wonderful film featuring Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones. While hoping it would follow suit with the first film, we were committed to going in with open minds.

Simply, the film does not match the robustness, passion or provocative nature of the first film. That does NOT mean it is a bad film - just different.

Strengths of the movie include admirable performing by the Alejandro and Elena stars. Clearly, their on-screen match-up was a great renewal. It was good to see them together again, though there was far less chemistry than they enjoyed in the first film.

The stunt work was fairly good, though some was a bit over-the-top and not particularly believable. All in all, though, it added a bit to the overall story.

The most disappointing aspects of the movie were select portions of the scripting and casting. For example, young Joaquin speaks in 2005 language - 150 years too early. Those creating the script should have restrained themselves, and used a bit more time to research the language of the era being portrayed in the story.

As to scripting: unless my eyes deceived me, one of the padres in the film (actually, Joaquin's teacher) appeared to be one of the Dons from the first film. I am unsure why this would have been a choice by the casting folks - and further unsure why it would be approved by the producer or the director.

Finally, the film seemed to drag out a bit - didn't need to be >2 hours long, in my estimation.

With all of this said, it is worth seeing. Just don't expect the blockbuster film that was the first "Zorro!"
89 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid family adventure film
Tigereyes3 November 2005
If you don't like Saturday morning cartoons, children's adventure movies, and silly fun, then don't bother seeing this film. Otherwise, you'll have a good time.

The filmmakers take major liberties with history, human behavior, and the laws of physics, but it really doesn't matter. They're not going for realism. They wanted to make a flamboyant PG-rated kids' movie and succeeded. The characters all behave pretty much the way they do in kids' movies, and the cast is obviously having far too much fun.

Adults expecting a grown-up swashbuckler will be disappointed, but the adventurous kid in me really enjoyed it.
61 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Formulaic, but reminiscent of old style westerns -- with a Latino cast
ms_jade_li5 November 2005
I liked the film.

You aren't going to get a more aesthetic movie than this: the actors (wow, Antonio and Catherine Zeta both in the same movie -- Anjelina & Brad, eat your hearts out -- no contest!), the costumes, the lighting, the villa and townscapes, and the sheer beauty of the location, day and night.

Antonio looks a little more "mature" than I've seen him in awhile, but he's no less smoldering and charming on the screen. He's a natural for playing Zorro. The athleticism of Zorro is pretty impressive too. Lots of leaps, flips, and creative uses of his whip.

Catherine-Zeta is breathtakingly beautiful, as always. Those eyes of hers... It's enjoyable to see her in a maternal role. I love her costumes! It's good to see her multi-tasking.

Their son, Joaquim, is outstanding. Child stars usually make me gag, but this kid has genuine talent, and the person(s) filming and editing have admirably captured it.

The main bad guy (the one with the mansion) is intriguing as well. Not sure who he is but I hope to see more of him.

The other villain is, plain and simple, unidimensional, which is typical of adventure type movies. No surprises there. The way he meets his end is creative.

The Horse. Wow.

The political framework of the plot worked well for the movie.

If you're looking for a movie that entertains while being pleasing to the eye, check it out.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much buckle, not enough swash.
Victor Field17 November 2005
One of my favourite entries in Roger Ebert's book of movie clichés states that any movie with the word "legend" in the title will fail to live up to its title; "The Legend of Zorro," though not a stinker, pretty much follows that rule to the letter.

This way-too-belated sequel to "The Mask of Zorro" brings back Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones and director Martin Campbell, but forgets to bring along the passion, high spirit and sense of adventure that made the first movie such fun; Zorro may now be a husband and father, but it's not the presence of the kid that makes the movie a disappointment. In fact, young Joaquin is so spirited that "The Legend of Zorro" might have benefited from being a look at Zorro third generation, since the man in the mask didn't start protecting fellow Californians until he was an adult - following the boy on an adventure, stuff like that. (That his action scenes are actually MORE exciting than his dad's reinforces this impression.)

Unfortunately scriptwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci fluff the movie by awkwardly blending domestic problems - even unto divorce! - with what's basically a spy plot involving smoothie Rufus Sewell, making the movie sometimes seem like a bad episode of "Alias" minus Jennifer Garner (especially in an extended sequence with Mr. and ex-Mrs. Zorro sneaking around at Sewell's house, and in the climax on a runaway train). The movie might have helped from Kurtzman and Orci pretending they were back writing for said show or even "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and gone for broke, but they don't; it's pretty unexciting for most of the time, and while the movie's sense of humour is a help sometimes, more often it just causes groans.

SPOILER FOR THE CLIMAX.

And as for the train finale, while FX Luddites may be pleased to see the train is a miniature rather than CGI, in this day and age there is no excuse for its fiery demise (complete with that of the villain) to be so obviously a miniature. Even if it is by WETA's Richard Taylor. (And hands up anyone who predicted that CZJ would make a joke about "The drinks are on me" - the evil scheme involves nitroglycerin in wine bottles.)

END OF SPOILER.

Zorro's son and the monk who plays Alfred to Zorro's Batman enliven the movie, and Antonio Banderas also gives more than he gets - but while it's ultimately an okay way to kill two hours, when it's over nothing sticks in your mind the way Zorro singlehandedly wiping out a group of men on horseback in the first movie does. Where there was spirit and a desire to pass on the torch, now there's squabbling. Ironically, it fits that "The Legend of Zorro," like the first movie, was executive produced by Steven Spielberg - it spends too much time Amblin for its own good.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent follow up is at least old-school cool
DocRedfield30 October 2005
As a more than passing fan of the Zorro movies that span the decades, I had been waiting since 1998 for a sequel to Martin Campbell's 'Mask of Zorro.' That movie took much (though not everything) of the best of the various Zorro films, serials, and series and then stole from other sources (such as Dumas 'Monte Cristo', etc) to concoct a sexy, swashbuckling action adventure that had great pacing and strengths, with high production values and actors. Mr. Campbell and those high standards at last return to the story begun, and we now follow our heroes and their son as California fights to join a struggling Union. Zorro's character is not quite so impulsive and cool as he once was, but simply comfortable and ultra-capable, while his wife Elena complains that the man behind the mask knows not who their son is growing up to be. None of these character 'upgrades' felt wrong to me; it was natural extensions of them from the first film, despite how adventurous Elena claims to still be (and for the most part isn't), but it does make the first act of this movie a bit tiresome after the initial (awesome) action sequence. This time, though, as the story and its many plot-points begin to move, the writers borrow heavily from Hitchcock to keep things interesting. It doesn't always work, as there's a lot going on but never QUITE coming perfectly, cohesively together, but ultimately it makes sense and spins a good yarn for the fighting to take over. Meanwhile the stunt coordinators take what has already been done in the best Zorro flicks and then go wild with it, giving us stunts and action of old-school-cool caliber, such as stage-coaches, leaps and horses jumping on to explosive-laden locomotives. Unfortunately there is not quite enough action, and while I do like the over-all story - with its subtle bits of murk and dirty grays underneath the battle of white and black hats - it doesn't actually pace perfectly, giving us bickering Vega family exploits and Zorro failures for a rather large portion of the picture. The sword fights are fewer and more far-between than I would have liked, sometimes degrading to fisticuffs instead of proper dicing, but then the explosions almost make up for it all. The humor is a bit silly, provided mostly by the horse(!!) and the sometimes-annoying kid, but the audience ate it up. The villains are good, if never entirely fleshed out, and the themes are handled well. It's the lag caused by the idea (which I never understood) that 'once a couple gets together they're not interesting anymore' that slows things. Regardless of my small issues, the movie DOES deliver as a Zorro film, (with a good ending, for certain) and while it doesn't completely live up to its predecessor, it is a worthy sequel - just not entirely the direction I would have gone.
48 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not an Oscar quality film but it could make for a fun night at the movies
christian1236 November 2005
Antonio Banderas is back under the mask of Zorro, the 19th Century swashbuckler who must face another dangerous mission, although he promised his wife Elena (Catherine Zeta-Jones) that he'd give up his life of adventure for a quiet family life as Alejandro de la Vega. But those who opposed California becoming a state in the Union are planning a new threat that might change their plans.

The Mask Of Zorro was a pretty good film. The sequel isn't as good yet it's still enjoyable. I personally would rather have the PG-13 rating but surprisingly the sequel didn't actually suck. I have to give credit to the cast and director. Martin Campbell knows how to direct action and he made this film very entertaining to watch. The story is a little weak and there isn't really anything new to found here but the action makes up for that.

The acting is solid just like the first one. Antonio Banderas takes the role of Zorro again and he does a good job. Catherine Zeta Jones returns as Elena and she also does a pretty good job. These two have a lot of chemistry together and they are interesting to watch on screen. The new addition to the cast and the person who almost ruined the film is Adrian Alonso. He plays Joaquin, the son of Zorro and Elena. He has a few funny lines but for the most part, he is really annoying. His role should have been cut since he almost ruined the entire movie.

Many people are complaining that the new rating kills the film and I disagree. The fight scenes are tamer and safer when compared to the original. He actually doesn't really use his sword to kill nor is much blood shown. However, the fight scenes are still pretty good and there are a lot of entertaining scenes like the train scene at the end. There were some boring scenes but they didn't last long. Also, the film is really cheesy and some of this does get annoying, nothing too major though. In the end, if you expect something like the original movie than you will end up disappointed. However, if you want something in the vein of National Treasure, a safe family action film, then this sequel is for you and it can really be enjoyed by adults too. Rating 6/10
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Mom and Dad's night out
spencerkids2 November 2005
I am a mom of 5 children, so when I get a night out to see a movie I don't want to see a dud. When It is a date with your husband it is even tougher. It can't be too much of a chic flick and I don't want to see something too violent. It isn't easy to find a movie with some action (Dad) some romance (Mom) and some comedy (both). This movie did it. Now I am not saying it should get some academy award but I sure wish there were more movies like this. It was suspenseful without being gory. It was romantic and sexy without the sex (women love that). The addition of the child added a parent component that we liked. It really could be considered as a family movie for older children. I can't specifically recall any profanity (that doesn't mean there wasn't).This movie was definitely not a waste of a babysitter. It was also nice and long for those of us with a longer attention span who want a more developed plot. The story was interesting and entertaining and funny (if you catch it).
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
skip this and watch the Mask of Zorro on DVD
jsosne30 October 2005
I enjoyed the last movie, but was sorely disappointed by this film. The plot is ridiculous and the writing is weak. Some of the action sequences are great, but most of them are absurd. While some may enjoy the idea of a 10 year old boy in fight sequences, I thought it was silly. The movie's attempt at comedy came across as just plain goofy. There was just enough violence to ruin the movie for younger children (one child in the theater started crying). Anthony Hopkins lent the lat movie a touch of class that is lacking in this film. There may indeed be enough chemistry between the stars to warrant another movie, but the story and dialog made it impossible for me to enjoy to enjoy this film.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking Forsure...
PwnedYouNoobs16 November 2005
This has to be one of the worst movies of all time and you are wasting your money to go see it like I did. There was one good thing about the movie was the fact that they have one of the hottest actresses ever playing one of the lead roles which makes it a 1/10 instead of a 0/10.

I believe that this movie was just another remake of the story of Zorro that we all know.

I also don't believe that the acting was that great, but they tried their best so I guess its OK! Do yourself a favour and stay in or if you do go to the movies try something quite better like Saw 2 or HP which comes out this Friday :D.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes up a bogieman for the bad guy
phil-107626 August 2006
While fighting for freedom is all well and good, fabricating a "confederate" army in 1850 makes the movie seem like it's in a parallel universe. If this were sci-fi that would be OK, but the whole thing was so silly that I couldn't take anything else in the movie very seriously. This was too bad, since the action sequences and the chemistry between Zeta and Banderas was nice. The first Zorro movie also had some historical inaccuracies, but so obscure that it was no big deal. Especially annoying were the typical confederate stooge-types working for the bad guy. I know Hollywood hardly ever gets history right, but rarely does it get history so wrong.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great action film, period.
tmwest2 November 2005
When I just was taking for granted that action films nowadays were about car, motorcycle and boat chases with ultra modern weapons, I went to see "The Legend of Zorro" and I had a great feeling. The sequence of the train at the end is fantastic. The fact that Zorro has his wife and son helping him in the fights adds more interest to the story, which is about the time when California was going to become a state and just before the civil war. When I read reviews about this film they were not so great, so I wonder what those critics were expecting. I know that people in the movie theater were having a lot of fun. It seems there is a tendency to judge all films by the parameters you would apply to an Ingmar Bergman. The Legend of Zorro has great action, if you like this kind of film don't miss it and don't pay attention to the critics.
63 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another fun movie
tanmaytoraskar31 October 2005
Zorro is back in action. This time he has to manage his family life and the profession he has chosen, which is to rid of evil in the west. A good action packed movie, but this one doesn't live up to the expectations of the first one. Instead this does pull of a few good action sequences, good stunts and good acting.

The Swashbuckling hero, Zorro(Antonio Banderas)comes out with great comic sense, he does his expressions and action in a very cool way. His wife Elena(Catherine Zeta-Jones)is very feisty and puts a good life against her husband. The space given between those two is very well done. The stunts are spectacular and a must see, mixed with the action sequences.

The only problem I faced while watching this movie was the plot, which proved to slow the movie down and extend it till the end. The dialogs were very nice but didn't seem to be so catchy either.

All in all this is a fun action movie and can be enjoyed by the whole family. The first one was more of a better adventure, where this one just dies along till the end. A Good 6.5 out of 10 for this one.
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zorro is good, but the history is a mess
wombatdc12 August 2006
The people who wrote this should re-read their American history: they have butchered it. It is so bad, the movie makes no sense. They have combined Civil War (1861-1865) with California becoming a state--that never happened. California was a state way before the Civil War was a reality. They even have the wrong American flag when they signed the paper making California a state. There are so many mistakes that make this movie a total complete fiasco. Maybe the makers of the movie should have made this movie an 'alternate history' movie; even that would not save this movie. This movie was just horrible. As a movie, this tries to make Zorro a legend. He and his wife undergo a divorce and here reality takes a complete leap into unbelievability. Divorce did not exist back then as it does today. Divorced, his wife works for the Pinkertons as an undercover agent for the U.S. government. In reality, Pinkerton was a private detective agency and did not work for the U.S. government at this time; it only worked for the U.S. about 12 years later during the Civil War. Zorro exposes the nefarious plot, saves the day, and helps California to become a state. The railroad was not as big back then, and not big at all until after the Civil War when the Continental railroad system was made in the 1870's. Even using the Henry rifle in California was wrong. The stunts do not save this mess; even Antonio and Catherine were not able to save it. The original 'Mask of Zorro' was better than this mess.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 thumbs up
dkochan29 October 2005
I was looking forward to this movie for months and personally I loved it. I laughed and cheered throughout the movie. If you want a Zorro adventure/action flick you will get it. Catharine Zeta-Jones role is enhanced and she gets to be more than a pretty face. I loved Elena's role as Zorro's partner as well as wife. The mini-me Zorro son was fine with me also and got lots of laughs from the audience. Good villains and great scenery from San Luis Potosi in Mexico. Good stunts especially with the horse. While some of the plot may seem unbelievable you must suspend belief and just sit back for a good time. The audience applauded at the end. Nice music too!
46 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not great, but enjoyable sequel
govenor_phatt25 October 2005
Just saw this at an Advanced Screening the other day and must admit i was not particularly looking forward to it. Mainly due to the fact that i loved the original. I loved its tongue in cheek campness, its fun and exciting action scenes, and Anthony Hopkins.

Thankfully LOZ has 2 out of the 3 (no Anthony Hopkins for obvious reasons) and while the film has clearly been dumbed down and made more "family friendly" as with all mainstream Hollywood sequels, it still has Banderas and Zeta Jones clearly having fun with it.

True, some of the CGI looks a bit naff, and there is a terribly unnecessary scene with a horse which made me laugh just because i would have cried because of the terrible effect, but the action scenes are action packed and use a fairly minimal amount of it.

As for the story there isn't really much to say of it, which is probably why it doesn't live up to its predecessors standards. But it trys well enough.

At the end of the day fans of the original Zorro film will probably enjoy this, as long as they don't expect it to be anything other than a fun popcorn sequel.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
horrible to say the least
Roving_eye20 March 2006
I cannot believe how there are so many decent reviews given to this movie on IMDb. This movie is banal. Every scene is so clichéd that it took me 4 nights to finish this movie, I watched in parts of 20-30 minutes... I couldn't take it longer than that. Highly predictable, uninspiring storyline, lock stock and barrel stereotype characters, poor dialog, over the top laughable stunt scenes...I could go on forever, but I can't waste more time with this movie. A total back flip from the first part. The one thing this movie gets a thumbs up in is putting you to sleep if you have a case of insomnia (it helped me 3 times).
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a stupid film
richard-noon212 March 2006
This is without doubt one of the most awful piles of crap I have had the misfortune to watch in many years. Where to start? We start off with a 2 dimensional baddie trying to scupper a democratic vote. Why?, who is going to gain from this? - who cares? - no explanation is given. The accession of California into the union is a victory for democracy unless of course you are a native American but I wouldn't expect such an ideologically idiotic film to even 'tip its hat' in that direction.

Next - this is supposed to be 1850 - I will come back to this in a minute. Cue next baddie - Count Armand, a Frenchman (there's a surprise) who is part of a European conspiracy to destroy the United States. His plan is to supply the Confederate Army (in 1850?) with some bottles of Nitroglycerine so that they can defeat someone (presumably the United States Army - in 1850?) Sounds like an idiotic plan to me. There is a scene where the European baddies are in a room listening to this plan, The English representative gets up and says he wants nothing to do with it whereupon he is killed by the Frenchman. The English are loyal to the US - the French its implacable enemies. Of course less then 100 years before these ludicrous events the French were very much the allies of the fledgling US but, never mind.

Shades of the UN security council I think - transparently so. Of course Democracy wins and the 'Old Europe' (to use Donnie R's phrase) baddies are defeated.

The best thing I can say about this film is that it is a waste of electricity. The worst is that it panders to (and reflects) the worst American Conservative drivel which is dangerous and just plain stupid.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the first one but...
Chrysanthepop15 September 2007
...it's quite alright for a one-time watch. I enjoyed watching Catherine and Antonio together again as Zorro and Elena but their chemistry was less electric than in the prequel. The film itself is a little slow-paced with loads of over-the-top stunts. Then there's also the unnecessary 'save America' bit which just seems to be a necessary formula for all Hollywood superhero films. Some well shot scenes include the dance scene at the party (no, it's not the flamenco) that has a touch of humour. Cinematography is quite good and the locations are beautiful. In a way it does stay true to the first movie as this time we see both Elena and their son Jaoquin fight by Zorro but it lacks the heart, the natural humour, the energy and passion of the wonderful prequel. Direction isn't completely up to the mark as some scenes seem to have been cluelessly shot. But on a more positive note, 'The Legend of Zorro' was entertaining to an extent, just don't expect anything fantastic that you'd take away with you long after the film's concluded.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth seeing- see the first one instead, even if you've already seen it
abum19021 March 2006
Within the first five minutes, I knew this movie was not going to be as good as the first one. Some may say that you shouldn't compare a movie its prequel, that a movie should stand alone, but that's dumb and people know it. You cannot watch this film without thinking about Mask of Zorro and recalling just how much more fun it was and, at the same time, how well everything was pulled off.

Now I know there are a lot of people who never saw Legend's prequel, but even if you did, this one's not worth seeing. The action is cheesy and the camera has trouble focusing on it to make it interesting. The plot line is slightly intriguing, but the juvenile way in which the story is written forces you to accept that the movie's not going to try any harder to recognize your intelligence- the movie even gives its key plot twist away before it means to, which kind of ruined it for me. Even Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones, both of which were very good in the first film, seemed forced and hammy in Legend.

See, this is the kind of movie that you wouldn't really mind watching on an airplane where you don't have much to do anyway and you don't have to spend any money for it. But if you have to pay to see it, don't.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as the original
jayne613857 November 2005
It started out with promise, but it soon changed into something awkward and inaccurate in a lot of historical facts, which weakened the plot for me. It was also too violent for its PG rating, and deserved a PG-13 rating. California became a state in 1850, which is when this movie is supposed to be... however, they mentioned several times "the Civil War" between the states, and how the United States is divided. They also had Confederate soldiers in a couple of scenes. They were ten years ahead of themselves, and also there is a scene when it becomes a state and a man in formal attire signing the official papers looked similar to Lincoln, who didn't become President until 1860. Also it wasn't that easy to get a divorce in 1850, like Elena did. Three months after she kicked her husband out of the house and divorced him, she was engaged to another man, which was highly scandalous, because Catholics didn't remarry at that point without being ex-communicated. It had unbelievable stunts and stupid twists. The plot dragged on for the longest time. So, as you can tell, I really didn't enjoy this movie.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insults your intelligence...
jen5en6 November 2005
This is yet another proof that Hollywood is rapidly becoming the architect of its own demise. I can't think of anything worse than 'Legend of Zorro'. Not even 'Evolution' can win the crown of 'worst film ever'.

Where do we begin? Well, it's nearly impossible to categorize this film, since it does not appeal to kids, as it should. The film is filled with ridiculous sequences that will make you roll your eyes, simply because they try to be funny but aren't in any way. I doubt that anyone with an IQ above 50 will laugh at Zorro's horse Tornado smoking pipe and drinking booze. Zorro's kid doesn't make it any better with his annoying performance, proving that kicking a soldier in the butt and causing him to fall down a slide into some water becomes boring after the 12th time. This is by far, the least thoughtful movie ever. 'Dennis the Menace' is a deep and provocative experience compared to this.

Don't listen to the people commending this film. Preserve your dignity and stay away from this contagious peace of trash!
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful follow up to a great film!
bdaly776 January 2006
I went to see this film having been a fan of the first not expecting it to be great as sequels often are but this was a real let down.

The dialog was cringe worthy and the chemistry between Banderas and Zeta-Jones that steamed up the screen in the original was non-existent.

The action scenes were also a little over the top but provided a relief from the rest of the film which was a painful ordeal

It was the worst I have seen Rufus Sewell act and his accent wandered between Mexican, American and what sounded like French at one point!

All in all a great disappointment, so much so that we had to walk out with an hour still remaining.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A horrible cliché fawning the audience...
anders-16620 November 2005
Zorro finds himself divorced from his love after many years of marriage. His private investigation of his former wives new husband unravels a devious plot.

When I saw the opening scene in this movie, I knew that this film would ruin my Sunday afternoon. It's hard to point out any distinct, major reasons for this feeling, but I'll try to give you a short and drastically compromised selection of some.

-When I go to see a movie I expect to be at least briefly challenged or puzzled as to what might come next in the plot. When I went to see this movie, I was obviously expecting way too much.

-A movie with cultural integrity can be excused for a 2+ hours duration. When over 50% of the movies scenes could be removed with minor interference to both the plot or the artistic value, it usually is for the best to shorten the movie.

-The humor was misplaced and outright cheap. This is a very grim comnination.

-An actionmovie should have better action. There was no nerve whatsoever in the actionsequences in this picture.

I could go on for pages, but I doubt it would make for any good reading. The saddest thing is that this film probably will become a blockbuster and make lots of money. This will again lead to more pictures who feeds the audience with unintelligent romance, action, drama and cheap "values". A picture with no edge, no thought, no artistic quality...
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zorro rides again!
whipwarrior29 October 2005
The Legend of Zorro is as perfect as a sequel can possibly be. Well-balanced in action and humor, it brought back everything I loved about the first one in spades. Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones return to their characters in top form, with a storyline that maintains the screw-tightening suspense that a good cliffhanger should offer. Visually, the film is beautiful. The producers revisited the Mexican locales where Mask of Zorro was shot, giving its successor a fresh and vibrant palette of continuity. The stunt and action sequences are framed with thrilling cinematography that had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Finally, James Horner's phenomenal score kept the fire burning, and left me on an adrenaline high as the closing credits rolled. Zorro rides again!
38 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a very good movie
LupinsGal20041 November 2005
I saw the movie mostly because it was getting terrible reviews in the papers. usually when paid critics give movies bad reviews, it means they're pretty good.

I was right. The acting was excellent in this movie. Perhaps even better than in the first. The action kept the movie going, the story was interesting, comedy kept things light, the violence wasn't gratuitous, the swearing was minimal and tame at best, and the sexual gratuity was non-existent (Which proves that if you need gratuitous sex/violence and foul language, its only because you need to use it to hide all the stuff your movie lacks- like plot, acting ability, and good directing.) but this movie had excellent acting, a good storyline and lots of action to fall back on. It didn't need any of that "Shock value" crap a lot of movies need to hide behind. So I enjoyed it very much. It kept my attention through the entire length of the film.

I'm not saying this movie isn't without its faults. There were some scenes that just kind of dragged on a bit, but for the most part, those complaints are extremely minor. I'd highly recommend this movie to anyone who loves action, romance and good laughs.

Don't listen to the "paid" critics who have been giving this movie poor reviews. Three of the movies they raved about this year.... I fell asleep at, and others in the same theater walked out on. Shows how much they know.

See this movie. Was worth the money!!
65 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.