Sicko (2007) Poster

(2007)

Wow.. just wow
rich307723 June 2007
I just got done watching this movie and no other movie I have seen in my life has had the impact on me that this movie has had.

My wife has M.S. and requires a LOT of medical treatment. Just ONE of her many prescriptions is a thousand (US) dollars a month. This very expensive experimental drug is nothing more than an old flu shot they are experimenting with. ( seriously )

I am a middle class skilled worker with great insurance.. and I may soon be homeless due in part to this. The other part is due to the corrupt banking system that I hope one day gets equally exposed.

I am now officially embarrassed to be a US citizen. If it wasn't for me already being middle aged and having 15 years seniority in a job I cannot replace... I would forever leave this so called "Free Country"

Peace Rich

rich3077@gmail.com
346 out of 404 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
European VIEW FOR CONSERVATIVES
perebarr14 July 2007
As European living temporary in this country (my wife is American), I would like to give my point of view about the movie:

1) The facts that Michael Moore show about European Health System is true. We don't pay bills for medical procedures.

2) Universal Health Care it doesn't mean "socialist" health care like Cuba. Rich and middle-high class can go to the private system, so we have both to choice, but it's normal that if you have to afford a expensive medical bill (how can afford a 250k medical bill?), even rich people go to the public system.

3) As European living in United States, I can say Americans pay more taxes (direct and indirect), than Europeans, it's absolutely false that UHC will double the taxes of Americans.

4) This is not a issue about conservatives or liberals, this is simple a humanity question.

5) The Cuban woman made the right question: if a poor caribean island like Cuba can give Universal health care to their citizens, how the first economical potence can afford this? 6)One of the typical points to critic this movie is about wait lines to have medical attention in countries with UHC. The statistics are very clear: there are no more wait lines in this countries than in USA, even covering 100 % of the people (if you are a little bit intelligent and not a fanatic extremist, you can understand that if you exclude 50 milion person from medical attention, your rates about this issue can be better).

7) This people that support the actual health care, I think they don't understood one of the principal messages of this movie: it doesn't matter if you have a good insuarance...you can be exclude for "bussiness" reasons. HORRIBLE AND INSANE.

8) Every American had to recommend this movie to their neighbour, and associate (like in other times for other issues like segregation laws or vote for women), because affordable health care is BASIC HUMAN RIGHT, forbidden in the the richest country in the world.

9) A lot of Americans are proud to be good Christians...I'm not sure Jesus and God support a system that treat human being as garbage. This post is specially dedicated for people that love America and the tradition (conservatives), because if they accept taxes for pay national security, inside this security can include this silent and big enemies that are always waiting to kill American people (cancer, strokes...). Don't worry, you can be conservative and patritotic and support a human and Christian system that support the poor and normal people. This not socialist, is capitalism with human face (normal in other advanced societies where they live more and better).
272 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Michael Moore is the #1 patriot in USA, I hope people realize it now.
antti-kahkonen18 June 2007
I can only hope this movie wakes some people up, especially those flag waving people who keep on repeating slogans like "greatest country in the world" etc. This could be a serious wake up call for a proud nation. I have always wondered how people can still call it the greatest country if it does not have universal health care, but maybe the reason is, they don't know any better. They do not realize that in other western countries this has been done for ages and it works.

People of USA should embrace Moore as the patriot he is. He wants the American PEOPLE all the best, but he gets sacrificed by the same people because he dares to speak about the government. But true patriots rise against governments too, if they are bad for the people. United states is not the flag, not the white house, not the senate, not the soaring eagle. It is the people living there, and this is what they have to remember. You can demand for universal health care, and you can vote for it.
741 out of 932 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Viewer beware on Sicko
roblange1713 June 2007
As an American this movie was one of the most depressing movies I've seen in awhile. Bowling for Columbine doesn't even hold a candle to the disheartening realizations contained in this film. I walked away with a sick taste in my mouth having been reminded of how disgusting and heartless our bottom line policy making is. How sick it is to be imprisoned by the government through healthcare. How the healthcare system will tear down every other joy in your life until your 80, working 50 hours a week to pay the cost of staying alive, unable to stand against the rich or have the hope left to vote. Thus the propaganda arm of the American Dream prevails. I don't plan to watch this movie again until I obtain citizenship in Britain, France, Cuba… or Ron Paul could get elected president and as a former physician he might actually fix the system.
687 out of 872 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Insured Americans beware
Natshaw17 June 2007
I recently finished watching Michael Moore's Sicko (it's a great documentary that everyone should see). It's not about the 47 million Americans who don't have health insurance, it's about some of the 250 million who have/had health insurance and in spite of this their lives were ruined. It dispels a lot of the myths espoused by some in America such as long waiting lines, higher taxes and the doctors being paid close to nothing. It explains why HMOs were established and how their primary purpose is to deny claims. Advancement in these companies is based upon how many claims an employee denies and any claims that are actually paid out are seen as failures. He goes to countries like Canada, England, France and Cuba and talks to citizens of these countries to get their take on their country's health-care system. He also goes to hospitals and emergency rooms in these countries to get the take of the people there and when he ask "How much do you pay?", they all laugh at him. Moore sums up the premise of film when he says the rest of the western world practices "We" health-care while Americans practice "Me" health-care.
208 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Film is Amazing!!!
brokentarot-113 June 2007
Please, cast aside your prejudices and watch this film with an open mind. I personally do not like Michael Moore whatsoever, but this film is mind blowing. I hope that that including quotes from the movie is not considered spoiling it.

Feb 17th, 1971 5:23 P.M.

Ehrlichman : "We have now narrowed down the vice president's problems on this thing to one issue, and that is whether we should include these Health Maintenance Organizations like Edgar Kaiser's Permenente thing." President Nixon : "Let me ask you, you know I'm not too keen on any of these damn medical programs." Ehrlichman : " This is a private enterprise one." Nixon : "Well, that appeals to me." Ehrlichman : " Edgar Kaiser is running this permanente thing for profit. And the reason he can do it... I had Edgar Kaiser come in, and talk to me about this... And I went into some depth... All the incentives are toward less medical care, because the less care they give them, the more money they make." Nixon : "Fine." Ehrlichman : " And the incentives run the right way." Nixon : "Not bad."
322 out of 423 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
his best documentary so far
ianriley17 June 2007
Brilliant documentary, with a softer, less angry Moore taking a good hard look at the current state of the inner-workings of the American private health care system, and comparing them to the universal systems in Canada, England, and France. The nay-sayers will argue that he's skewing his content, or simply choosing the worst HMO stories, but that's exactly what he has to do to drive his point home! The content here is far less controversial than in his previous films. It's widely known that, despite being one of the richest countries in the world, the states is far from best when it comes to taking care of their own.

The film gives the impression that Canadians wait an average of 45minutes to get seen at a hospital. Being a Canadian, I'll tell you right away that is not the case. There is an issue here in Canada with long wait times (both at the hospital and for major surgery), however, the system still works well, and everyone is taken care of, regardless of financial or social status.

Seeing sicko really made me realize just how much I take our universal health care system for granted. Some of the HMO horror stories Moore gives are shocking (to put it lightly).

While this film doesn't pack quite the punch, compared to Fahrenheit and Columbine, it's still going to turn a lot of heads. Everyone should see this movie.
155 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Michael Moore For President!!!
maxthapilgrim13 June 2007
After watching this film, i grew restless. Not the sorta restless, you get, when nobody calls you on the phone for weeks. No- restless that i can not reach out, and share parts of the health-care-system, from where i come from in Denmark. Now, i've only once experienced this sort of restlessness after watching a movie, and it was Michael Moores "Rodger and me". YES- Moore does it again. And he fulfills his role, as an rebellious anti-capitalist, pointing out the wrongs and rights in society, that people have simply grown accustom to. PERFECT! He once again gives us his artistic brand consisting of small terrific, or in this case, horrible stories from everyday people who have been neglected by the American health-care system. Michael Let's you pass trough the homes of MANY families as you engage upon their stories. This time Michael has brought far more people into the interviews, and it gives the hole bundle more juice then FAHRENHEIT. He also, takes his time to show old clips, video/photos of the people hes interviewing, so you feel you get the entire background on some of the folks. BRAVO! Michael himself, is this time a bit more "americaniced" -but only to really point out the benefits of the other countries, does he take the role of the average American joe. PERFECT! Over all. If you read this. I think this movie will make as huge an impact on you, as it did on me. And i think every Michael Moore film, is both educational and should be thought in schools, as well as very important for the entire society to see! That is... if you want to be a part of your society?
311 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much what I expected
janne-junnonen20 June 2007
Having read all the comments and reviews, this movie was pretty much what I expected. Moore does a really good job in making his point.

What bothered me a little was his black & white view of the healthcare industry - either it is public OR private. In reality, many western countries have a "hybrid" system. For example here in Finland we have a pretty reasonable public healthcare system (which by the way is not totally free for the patient, albeit very cheap), but in addition, we also have private clinics, if you want even faster service and are willing to pay extra. You can also get an insurance from private companies, which provides extra financial support and/or service in the private clinics in case of illness. Also some workplaces and institutes have free doctors.

A portion of the cost of medicines is substituted by the government in either case, and there is an annual limit after which they are totally substituted.

I think it would be pretty straightforward to establish this kind of system in the US. There is no need to socialize healthcare TOTALLY. There is no need for the insurance company to "go" (as Moore put it), they just need to step aside a little and stop being the main authority. Also, if insurance companies have to compete with FREE (health care), there is only one thing they can do: offer really good service!
181 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's worst than Romania!
siderite20 June 2007
I've seen a lot of movies that either make fun or try to exemplify American stupidity, but none convinced me of it unless I've seen Sicko. How can you people put up with this?! The medical system portrayed in this film is worst than here in Romania!

Basically, it tells about the medical system being bought and used by insurance companies to trick people into paying huge sums of money for any medical care, regardless of them having a medical insurance or not. Then there are examples of the Canadian, French, British and Cuban health care systems, which are, as I think they should be, free and of high quality.

And the logic is very simple, even if one chooses to disregard the highly emotional examples presented by Moore: people who win money from not taking care of you will not take care of you.

Take care!
54 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Entertaining Film
mlkyusuf13 June 2007
While it may not win any awards, when looked at purely as a film, this documentary by Michael Moore is an entertaining and interesting one. It presents all the facts (whether you consider them to be biased or not) in the typical Michael Moore style (heavy on the sarcasm and wit) that we've all gotten used to by now and in an easy to digest format. As this is IMDb and people should rate movies based on their values as films rather than opinions expressed, I think it's best to refrain from mentioning Mr. Moore's obvious view on the American health care system. However, if at all you're interested in learning more about the system or simply want to watch an entertaining documentary, I suggest you go out and watch this film when it arrives in cinemas near you.
141 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Moore hits the nail on the head. Luckily he won't need medical care.
bike75220 June 2007
This may be Moore's best work to date. While so many bash Moore as being un-American, the truth is, he is a patriot. His "crime" appears to be trying to make America a better country. Watching this movie you can see how far we have to go. America is so far behind virtually every other industrialized country in health care availability and other social programs that it would seem this country is doomed if things don't change soon. As a former member of the British Parliament states in the movie, the governments in countries like England and France fear the people while in America the people fear the government. That about says it all.

It is time for change in the is country and hopefully this movie will be an impetus.
50 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A softer Moore, but a more efficient one.
LorienTheFirstOne16 June 2007
For those of you that seem to get "stuck" on HOW Moore chooses to pass a message to viewers, and thus mainly missing the message itself....you will find this film more to your liking. Moore here is more substance and documentary, than what some people would call "Rambo revolutionary". The documentary examines the US Health system, and then indirectly compares it to Canada's, France's and other countries.The differences are obvious.In the U.S if you cant pay the huge amounts of money required, you get no help. In these other countries, exactly the opposite. You pay nothing. And if you think you are left with no money, because of taxes, you're wrong. The sad thing is, that countries with much less development and resources can offer a better overall health system. It IS true that you can judge a people from how it treats, it's most unfortunate citizens. The conclusions are indisputable. The only thing i was hoping for, was some more heat on Pharmaceutical companies (major heat is on Insurance ones). Maybe in Sicko 2 , or the extras. A MUST see!
50 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Canadian Healthcare
pjgrease19 June 2007
Please pull the silver spoon out of your ass, and God help you if you ever actually become ill. As a Canadian citizen who became ill on American soil without my healthcare coverage that extends to other countries i would have had a medical bill for $6,000 for the following treatment hospital bed, 10 minutes with a doctor, blood sampling and signing the forms upon my release. Perhaps i might have had a 45 minute wait in Canada but at least it wouldn't have cost the same amount as my first year university tuition. And what would i have done if my insurance company had later denied my claim? It is a governments responsibility to care for its citizens, America has failed and although the Canadian system may not be perfect (please remove your rose coloured glasses) its not leaving millions of HMO recipients holding the bag. It is also not bankrupting families of sick children having to take out 2nd mortgages just so their children can see a doctor. You may not agree with past films produced by Mr. Moore, but this film is not political in my mind it is simply rational. Something needs to change perhaps this is a start
45 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly brilliant piece of documentary film-making...
commie00717 June 2007
Quite simply, this film is brilliant. Michael Moore's Sicko covers the spectrum from universal health care, to HMOs, to pharmaceutical companies, to sickening governmental complicity. It is a truly intelligent documentary on the state of America's health care system. But the film is about more than just health care; it is a non-partisan, richly in-depth piece of film-making that manages to capture the zeitgeist of our times. Unlike his previous work Fahrenheit 9/11, this film does not carry with it a blatantly biased point of view. Rather, it speaks to the human condition, in sometimes gut-wrenching ways, and the pathetic, dangerous state of America's health care system – a system that doesn't care if you're red or blue, but only about the bottom line. In a country where the vast majority of citizens feel we're headed in the wrong direction, Moore manages to take the issue of health care and shed light on much broader reasons for American discontent. Good work Mike - no one can argue with what you've done here.
53 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revolution is on
peanut_651 July 2007
This is a great film and it just shows our lack of character as a nation. Imagine if we would have applied the money from this self-created war on terror, and applied it to free health care. 600 to 800 billion would probably have been a great start. MM blew the whistle on the rich trying to get richer, and some people aren't going to like that. In reading the comments on IMDb, folks are already going through the cliché conservative motions. Like my favorite one of repeating that MM twists his facts until everyone starts to believe it. I would like to officially give a big middle finger to those folks, and tell anyone who can think for their self to watch the movie, and then be the judge. Thanks for representing the common man and telling it like it is.
37 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shining Light on America's Health Care Crisis
WriterDave8 July 2007
In many ways, "Sicko" is Michael Moore's most tightly focused film since "Roger & Me." Recently he's dealt with heady philosophical issues involving America's obsession with guns and violence in "Bowling for Columbine" and then displayed the follies of the Bush Administration and the quagmire that is current geopolitics in "Farhenheit 9/11." Here he turns his gaze to a single, tangible thing: America's health care crisis.

Moore is up to his usual bag of tricks with his goofy pop-culture inspired propaganda, expertly combining heartfelt sentiment with big laughs in his anecdotal pieces, and essentially preaching to the choir. Informing us that insurance and pharmaceutical companies are vile profit driven machines who lobby hard in Washington and buyout politicians left and right isn't exactly telling us something we didn't already know. Scary still are the review board doctors working for the insurance companies who get paid big bonuses for denying the most claims, and saddest of all, the people who actually die from not getting their treatment. Moore, never shying from his political leanings, firmly points his finger at Nixon (whose policies paved the way for HMO's), Reagan (who propagated the idea of socialized medicine as the first sign of Communist invasion), and Bush (who signed into law prescription drug bills that have crippled our senior citizens). He also suggests that Hillary Clinton, whose own health care plan was shot down by special interests back in the early 1990's, is now on the same payroll after losing the good fight.

Moore really scores, though, when he starts globe hopping and shows us just how well socialized medicine works in countries like Canada, Great Britian, and France, and how much all of the people involved (doctors and patients) think it's wonderful and that our system is absurd. The most telling anecdote is when he's able to get a group of 9/11 heroes suffering from the debilitating effects of having worked at Ground Zero some much needed treatment in Cuba (of all places!) after they have been repeatedly denied by their insurance companies here in the States.

Other than marrying a Canadian or moving to one of these countries where health care is free to all, he offers no solid suggestions for how people who want to stay in America can fix the system other than to give this vague sense that "socialized medicine works." He's shed some light on the topic, and points us in the right direction, but isn't willing to lead the way with any practical solutions.

Some of the most interesting points are made while in France, where the citizens enjoy free higher education, free health care, 35-hour work weeks, and government issued nannies. One of the Americans living now in France points out, "the people in France get all this because here the government is afraid of the people while in the States the people are afraid of the government." Marie Antoinette, it seems, lost her head so the French could get free health care.

Funny, sobering, and frustrating, "Sicko" is a wake-up call for America to start their own revolution.

Message to Washington: Off with their heads!
34 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoughtful, funny, moving cinematic essay
Eat124 June 2007
Like many others, I hesitate to call Moore's films "documentaries"; Oscar win notwithstanding, it's become less trouble to remove them from that (ostensibly) "objective" label altogether and consider them to be what Orson Welles called his great 1975 effort F For Fake: essay films. Looking at the Moore filmography through that prism at least helps this writer free himself of the (at least subconscious) guilt for admiring the films in spite of their refusal to bow to the documentary tradition—not only in failing to present opposing viewpoints, but also for their loose, freewheeling structures (particularly in Bowling for Columbine) that some dismiss as rambling and disorganized.

So dismiss the ideology if you'd like, or tear into the minor points of contention, but make no mistake—Sicko is a tremendous film, possibly Moore's best, equal parts devastating fact, hilarious social satire, and genuinely moving emotion. Moore acknowledges (following a brief prologue) that the film is not about the 50 million Americans who are completely uninsured, but the 250 million who think they're covered, and their battles within our broken system. The film's first act is the story of a few of those Americans, and while Moore's reliance on anecdotal evidence may not be the greatest journalism, it certainly makes for good drama—and better film-making that a laundry list of statistics.

The second act takes us on a tour of foreign countries and their government-run health care systems—along with some helpful rebukes (though again, primarily anecdotal) of the usual (and usually right-wing) arguments against "socialized medicine." In a strange way, however, Sicko becomes about more than health care; Moore discovers other advantages of living in England or France, and wonders why America can't boast of the same.

I'm sure that some more narrow-minded critics will seize on these passages as proof of Moore's anti-Americanism, but I think it's just the opposite—he loves our country, but knows it isn't perfect. Here, it seems, are some ways in which it could be better. What could be more patriotic than that? I will say that I wish the advance hoopla over Moore's trip to Cuba hadn't leaked out, as the film is structured in such a way that it would have been a nice surprise. That being said (and concerns about the validity of that footage aside), it leads to some amazing footage of (at long last) care for people who genuinely deserve it, and a quite scene at a Cuban firehouse that moved me in a way that no other 9/11 commentary has.

At the end of the day, Sicko is simply an extraordinary film—funny and powerful and moving and scary (it gets under your skin in the same way Bowling did). It provokes thought, not just about the health care system, but about our country as a whole, and what we want from it. Oh, and it's got one of the best closing shots in recent memory.
33 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
DLivermore200220 June 2007
Brought tears to my eyes after the first 10 minutes. A good movie, just HIGHLY depressing. Very intense. Eventually makes you ask yourself, "what is wrong with us as a country?". The realities of the American health care system are not easy to swallow. As someone who IS NOT a Michael Moore fan, I went in looking for the flaws in this film. Hoping, in fact, that I could dismiss it as anti-republican rhetoric. Quite to the contrary, I was floored. If it was all scripted and BS, then it was FANTASTIC fiction. If, however, it is factual then it is a sad expose on American society (don't think that this film is limited to health care, it revolves around US society as a whole). I give it one thumb up (I lost the other in a farming accident and since I live in America, well...I digress).
33 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an eye opener for Americans of all ages and all political persuasions
Rick194829 June 2007
I am now convinced that Michael Moore is one of the most influential film makers of this generation. Forget Spielberg and Lucas. I am an avid Woody Allen fan and still love his films but Michael Moore has jumped in and become an entire nation's conscious. Even though I have realized for years that there has to be a better way for health care, Moore crystallized every feeling I have ever had about what needs to be done about it. All it takes is an open mind and anyone will see that changes need to be made to our health care system and needs to be done now. Many people in this nation claim the moniker "Culture of Life". Those who view this film will see that it is anything but a "Culture of Life" and we aren't even speaking about violence overseas. We are speaking about the covert violence against Americans who happen to get sick without enough funds to get the treatment they may need. Health Insurance companies in this country do more to harm Americans than any terrorist could.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hits the mark dead on
JustaskAlice4 July 2007
I'm sure everyone has had been screwed by their insurance company at one point or another. When you go into the doctor you are slammed with paperwork asking about preexisting conditions, secondary insurance policies, sponsor information, etc. This week I went to the doctor for an ear infection and received no care. I was told I had to wait two weeks just to see if a specialist could see me. And I have military insurance! Is this how America thanks its soldiers and their families? When I was visiting London I became very ill and was treated for free, no hassles, with a 30 minute wait in a West London emergency room. I can't even get that kind of treatment on Nellis Air Force Base as a US citizen with insurance, with an appointment! This film hit the mark dead on, I don't care what your party is or what your politics may be, insurance companies are literally getting away with murder and sucking the quality of life out of this country. Real American patriots will be the ones who stand up for the health and quality of life of all of their fellow citizens.
29 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
open your eyes
remikolk5 August 2007
What's wrong?

After watching this movie a couple of times now, it has become clear to me that the United States is sick (and I'm just talking about health-care here). I just don't understand the mentality. Answer me this; what's wrong with socialism? What's wrong with caring for your fellow man? I've read most of the reviews from from people who graded it at the bottom, and what became clear is the all but three are from the United States. And even of those three, one just didn't like the documentary, no political views were apparent in his review.

The argument that somebody shouldn't have to pay for somebody else's decease or accident doesn't stick with me. I'll explain: If you get into accident, you certainly don't ask for that. And on another note: a friend of mine has a blood decease, he didn't ask for this and he has to worry enough about this in his everyday life. Some people get born with a disability, chronic heart problems, what are we going to do; let them rot? That sounds a bit –although this is pushing it- like what happened 70 years ago. And I'll go further; when my wife had our child, we first had a doctor to come to our house. For some health reason we had to go to the hospital. My child was born, they had to stay for a night, and the next day we left. The following day we had a health-care worker who gave us tips, did some cleaning in our house. She came in twice a week for about 4 hours, this lasted for about a month. No bill, just happiness with the arrival of our son. My brother's son was in the hospital for 5 days, after that he left. No bill, just health-care. Unfortunately his son became ill the next year as well. But no problem, he went to the hospital and received care again. If I get sick or get in some kind of accident I get treaded in the nearest hospital and after I'm healthy I go home… that's it, no bill, no hassle, no fear. I don't have to worry about anything. We don't have a maximum on sick-days, and we still get paid for our sick days. I just pay my monthly bill of 95 euros. For dental I have to pay, but only for the first 250 euro, after that it's free again. People under 18 don't pay anything. And don't presume that our health-care is bad, of course it could be better… but that is not the point at the moment.

What's wrong with socialism? It might not be a perfect system, but I wouldn't have it any other way. The fact of the matter is that nobody can do everything on its own. Of course I believe that people should be paid for the work they do, or the amount of work they do. But a person making a million is still somehow dependant on people that have to work in shops, factories, or any other place.

I think the message here is that Americans should and could open their eyes. And maybe not to change their point of view, but at least to know that there are other systems in the world that work as well.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Awful Truth About The American Health Care System
virek21330 June 2007
For the third straight film, Michael Moore has become an extremely painful thorn in the side of the political right in America. And where he once tackled gun violence in BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE and the errant War On Terror in FAHRENHEIT 9/11, now he takes on the lack of affordable (and even universal) health care in America in SICKO, a typically scathing expose from the premiere cinematic muckraker of our generation.

As Moore points out, SICKO is not necessarily about the fifty million Americans who don't have any health care at all. This is about the rest of us who have health care and think that our health care plans will cover us, come what may. But as Moore tells us, the awful truth about the American health care system is that we may all be one illness and one rejection notice away from becoming either destitute or dead. And the awful truth is that the HMOs and big pharmaceutical manufacturers have a strangle hold on our elected officials that is matched or exceeded only by the military/industrial complex. Moore offers us dozens of little health care horror stories from across America, in which treatment was denied to patients by health care providers for one excuse or another (whichever was the handiest at that place and time), which in a few cases resulted in death. Now, this is happening in the wealthiest country in the world--the United States of America. It shouldn't be happening! Then Moore takes us to nations where universal health care is a way of life--Canada; Britain; and France. And for all the tough talk by uber-patriotic politicians in America about the ills of so-called "socialized medicine", what do we find? We find reasonably healthy people who don't pay for than a few dollars at a time for medical treatment, and a lot of times they pay NOTHING. And these countries have health and worker productivity rates that we in America ought to be having. But instead, with the HMOs and pharmaceutical behemoths running things, America has slipped to #37 in the World Health Organization rankings--just slightly ahead of Slovenia! But Moore's biggest coup, and where he has gotten himself into hot water with the Bush cabal (hot surprisingly), is when he takes four emergency workers who were at Ground Zero on September 11, 2001 to that bastion of the Red Menace, Cuba, for medical treatment that these folks could either not find on American soil or couldn't pay for. And do they run into a Commie bureaucracy? Hardly! They get the necessary care from doctors who don't have to look over their shoulder to see if an HMO or pharmaceutical lobbyist is about to put them out of business. And this is happening in a country whose leader we've learned to despise with every fiber of our being for almost half a century, and against which we've had an embargo in place since October 1962! UNREAL!

As always, Moore's film, and indeed the man himself, are being attacked by right-wing extremists, and the HMO/pharmaceutical bureaucracy. If he had only shown one or two HMO horror stories in this two-hour opus of his, they might have had the grounds to go after him they way they do. Instead, however, he shows us dozens of them, some of them involving hospitals dumping homeless patients on L.A.'s Skid Row. And there are thousands of other HMO horror stories that have been in the news the last thirty years. What Moore is presenting to us is nothing new, and that's the problem. This is nothing new, because America, in the age of Bush and the Iraq war, is apathetic, and lets things like this happen. Again, this agent provocateur with a movie camera is letting us in on some dirty little facts about his, and our, nation. And the most daunting and tortuous fact that he shows us is this: Unless we have a health care system that leaves things in the hands of We The People, particularly the doctors, instead of the hands of the HMOs, the pharmaceutical manufacturers, and their political lackeys in Washington, being the richest country in the world will be negated by our record as having the worst human rights record in the world. Universal health care shouldn't be a privilege. It should be a human RIGHT!
26 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocking indictment on American health system
cmoitze13 January 2011
This documentary is an expose on the capitalist nature of the American health system.

Quite frankly I was shocked at how unfair this system is. Michael Moore was able to show a well balanced account of this sensitive topic, talking to a wide range of people affected by this crisis, from patients to politicians.

The statistics and practices of these corporations and the lengths they go to turn a profit is downright evil. People are literally being given a death sentence, if they can't pay the expenses. I would not go to to the U.S for a holiday after viewing this.

Every US citizen should view this documentary to see the real damage corporate medicine can do. Very powerful, heart felt documentary. This should be viewed in American schools. Essential viewing.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
compelling!!!
Wow, I don't know what to say, I just watched the whole movie. I am from Canada, with Medicare, and I feel so sorry for you Americans. Yes, it is true our system is not perfect but after seeing a man chose what fingers to reattach, I feel a whole lot more grateful. My child and I have never had to wait to be seen in an emergency and have received the highest quality of care regardless of my financial situation. To each and every person in America, you must do something for yourselves. Demand better health care because your fellow Americans are dying. It isn't fun paying for someone else's health if you are not sick but consider the alternative? Watch the movie and make up your own mind. You don't have to like Michael Moore to hear what he's saying.
20 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.