Saving Face (2004) Poster

(2004)

Beautifully done
dennisjlee26 January 2005
I just saw this at Sundance. Alice Wu is a first-time director, yet this is one of the best movies I have seen in some time. It is funny, yet tells a beautiful and complex story about communication, traditions and love. It did not look like a low budget independent film at all. The acting, cinematography and music were all beautifully done. One could tell this was an important story to all those involved and that they worked very hard to get it to the final product. The characters are not stereotypes but honest portrayals of Chinese Americans dealing with older traditions in modern America. We are all immigrants, we are all human and make mistakes while struggling for acceptance in society. Sometimes it is what we don't say that effects our lives most.
105 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two women fall in love. They have to deal with cultural and family and professional issues.
gershuny18 April 2005
This first time director/author has made a movie that will have universal appeal. Although the main part of the plot centers on two Chinese women who are successful professionals and are love with each other, the movie is not "about" Chinese people or "about" lesbians. The story concerns how two interesting people deal with cultural taboos, with their places in the culture and in their families, and with the demands of their respective careers (surgeon and ballerina). But, even with this serious backdrop, the story is told with humor; there are more laughs and smiles than tears. When you see the movie, note how beautifully the romance between these protagonists develops.

It's likely that this movie will have limited distribution, at least at the the beginning. Look for it. You will be glad you did.
61 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptionally well done movie
yogasong4412 May 2005
While this movie has a Chinesse-American lesbian theme, it goes under the same category of "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding": you don't need to be one to REALLY, REALLY like it! The writing is extremely humorous and intelligent. It reminded me of the "Kissing Jessica Stein movie" in terms of the wit that the writer (who also happens to be the director) brings forth in the script. I was not sure what to expect from a movie that I was seeing at a film festival. I was pleasantly and extremely surprised! The actors were quite believable in their roles and did a fine job. The production quality of the movie was quite noticeable from the start of the movie and was very good and enjoyable to watch. The lead characters are likable and sweet, while not Pollyannish. The story itself is also full of scenarios that most people can relate to regardless of their sexual orientation or race. So, if you're looking for a fun time, out go see this movie and enjoy!
62 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lovely romantic comedy with several twists
maudebasset30 May 2005
I was lucky enough to get into "Saving Face" on its opening night at the AMC on 42nd St. in NY. It was sold out and for good reason! It was a delightful yet thought-provoking romantic comedy with some important social undertones. The portrayal of three generations of Chinese- Americans included a lovely lesbian love story, a pregnant older Ma, and all sorts of complications and funny funny twists. Lots of laughing out loud- and the audience (very diverse) was REALLY into it... I laughed and cried. And you heard it here first-- Lynn Chen, who convincingly played the ballerina role, is a star waiting to happen. She is just gorgeous, a fine actress, and delightful to watch. All the acting is top-notch. I want everyone to see it so we can support interesting and enjoyable independent movies that open our minds just a little bit!
42 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
makes you feel soooo good....
babyfacemel18 May 2005
i saw this film with a bunch of lesbians in boston, and, even though we all agreed that the ending was a bit fluffy and unrealistic, it made us all feel so warm and happy. which, i guess, is what a good romantic comedy is supposed to do - so i forgive the ultra-perfect ending. the acting is terrific, especially the mother, who is funny as hell. the lead actress, the one who plays the doctor, is smart and cute. and the one who plays the ballerina is terrific too. i saw this actress (lynn chen) and the director (alice wu) at the festival afterwards and it was really exciting because it was like looking at future stars. alice wu is smart and talented and charming. i can't believe this is her first feature film. and lynn chen is going to be a star - i don't know what it is about her, but she's gorgeous and young and can act and there aren't any other young Asian American actresses like her so she should go far. definitely go see this film in the theaters - you'll float when you leave.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wonderful, Funny, Heartfelt Movie
chriscavanagh31 May 2005
I recently saw a list and short synopses of the screenplays accepted for the Sundance Screenwriters Lab. In short the overall subject matter seemed to be death, doom and depression, i.e. serious subjects for serious films. I am sure that many good and possibly some great scripts and films will come out of the program.

Comedy is hard. Really hard. Okay, I'm willing to concede that teenage gross out bathroom humor movies probably aren't too difficult, and don't get me wrong I enjoy a good gastro-intestinal joke as much as the next person, but a movie that makes you laugh (a lot), touches your heart and just plain makes you feel good... well I think that is something quite rare -- especially these days.

Saving Face is one of the funniest, warmest, most heartfelt movies I have seen in a long, long time. Its a smart, insightful movie for adults. And like any really really good romantic comedy it is about much more than what is on the surface. I really don't care that it is Alice Wu's first film (although that makes her accomplishment all the more extraordinary) -- all I care about is that it isn't her last.
33 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice, light comedy worth seeing.
Proud_Canadian13 September 2004
I was fortunate to see the World premier at the Toronto Film Festival. It was an almost finished product with only some minor changes still needing to be done (mostly tweaking the temporary score and sound) but I didn't notice that it wasn't a finished product. Saving Face is a funny film by written and directed by first time director: Alice Wu. It is about a widow (Joan Chen) who is in her late-40's and has a daughter who is a surgeon. She tries to set up her daughter at these Chinese dances that happen once a week but the daughter is not interested. One day the woman shows up on the daughter's doorstep, kicked out of her home because she has brought shame to the family by becoming pregnant out of wedlock. The mother and daughter have to adjust while the daughter tries to hide her lesbian relationship with her boss's daughter. I liked this film. Joan Chen was very funny in this film. The comedy is good, a nice light touch and on a level everyone can relate too. Although, the fact they are Chinese is not glossed over. The dramatic scenes were weaker in contrast to the comedy but still worked. The three main actresses were good although Joan Chen was the star. If you liked What's Cooking or Mambo Italiano or My Big Fat Greek Wedding, then I think you will like this movie. I am Asian but not Chinese so I do have my biases. Having said that, I think that this film will help break the typical Asian stereotype and will be a mainstream success. Apparently Sony pictures has bought the distribution rights so I expect to see it in theatre some time next year. I give it an 8/10. Definitely worth a look if you want a nice light comedy with a little drama. Note the film is half in Mandarin and half in English but there are English subtitles. I will definitely see it again when it comes out in general release and I will buy the DVD when it comes out.
48 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, smart, and sexy
blahdeblah1335 April 2005
Saw this film in San Francisco at the Asian American film festival, where it played in the Castro Theater to a sold out crowd. I thought it was an amazing job for a first-time director. Joan Chen is her usual brilliant self, though this time she utilizes her comedic skills. The other two leads in the film, Michelle Krusiec and Lynn Chen, are terrific too - can't wait to see more of them in the future. The music soundtrack was great also - had some great mix of stuff. It's a film you can bring your mom or your date to. Or a great film to see with the girls but this isn't just a "chick flick." I mean, who doesn't want to see a film with hot Asian lesbians having sex in it? Overall, very well done. Highly recommended.
59 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent movie for a long time
nomisage31 May 2005
This is one of the few great films I have watched in a long time. As an Asian-American film, the characters do not play or have any stereotypical roles like many Asian portrayal in the media. Instead, it deals with family and relationship issues that we can somewhat relate to, dealing with cultural barriers and contemporary differences.

I really enjoyed the film especially the daughter-mother relationship along with the grandmother. The way they interact with each other is sometimes a comedy that we would laugh about but realistically won't if we were in their situation. I also find the Chinese translation of the title appropriate as well considering there is no better way that I can translate the Chinese words in English.

Pretty much the movie displays what some (chinese) people go through in the American society (new york city) in the 21st century and the family issues that comes with it. I didn't really like the ending as much so I took out 1 star. Hopefully, the movie industry can produce more movies like this ... possibly focusing this time more on a male character.
37 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very enjoyable and very different Movie
dsa-1217 April 2005
This movie is much more than the elements of its plot. Just as "The Piña Colada Song" is not really about drinking, "Saving Face" is not really about Asian lesbians who occasionally speak Chinese.

It's too bad that I don't have the skill to describe the pleasure of seeing "Saving Face". It's something like the experience of looking into the fire in the fireplace on a cold evening. But it is more like doing that along with someone special while listening to a sultry version of "Someone To Watch Over Me"; just completely different though.

See it! When I saw this motion picture with the "Movies 101" group in NYC, it was plain from the audience reaction that lots of people adored it with me.
44 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest and True to Asian American Culture
deviousc14 June 2005
A funny feel good Asian American lesbian romantic comedy that almost anyone can relate to.

One aspect of the film that I really enjoyed is that Wu focused on the disparity between first generation and second generation Chinese Americans. The seemingly unbreakable barriers that needs to be acknowledged, assessed, and overcome are all too familiar to me.

Being born and raised in NYC as a Chinese American, this film breaks the ice and will most likely fast forward progress and understanding for us in America. I feel we needed a movie to just come out and say it - to make a bold statement deeper into the true meaning of accepting one's self. This definitely did it... perfectly too. Saving Face is wonderful and highly recommended!
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delicate and Delightful Romance
claudio_carvalho17 January 2008
In Manhattan, the brilliant Chinese-American lesbian surgeon Wil (Michelle Krusiec) is surprised by the arrival of her forty-eight years old widow mother (Joan Chen) to her apartment. Ma was banished from Flushing, Queens, when her father discovered that she was pregnant. The presence of Ma affects the personal life of Wil, who is in love with the daughter of her boss in the hospital, the dancer Vivian Shing (Lynn Chen). Once her grandfather has promised that her mother would only return to Flushing remarried or proving that it was an immaculate conception, Wil tries to find a bachelor Chinese to marry Ma.

"Saving Face" is a delicate and delightful romance that explores the clash of cultures of different generations in a Chinese community. The quote: "- The world is getting too hard to predict" defines the conflictive situation of the conservative old generation seeing the modifications of behavior in the younger generations raised in a different culture in their new country. The gorgeous actresses have convincing performances is this entertaining fell-good romantic comedy. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Livrando a Cara" ("Saving Face")
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
still_savingface24 November 2005
Quo from Alice Wu. "no matter who you are – Asian or black, gay or straight, young or old – that everyone basically want to love – and that love can start at any point in your life that you want it to. It was never too late to fall in love for the first time. And that it is not by doing things right, but by sometimes getting them wrong, that we launch the journey that allows us to come into our own."

As a Chinese Canadian Lesbian, this film touches me deeply. I found myself understood and now understand. I was told and was feeling that I am evil and left with no "face" for my caring parents. This film proves me wrong. Thank you.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A family affair
jotix10023 June 2005
It must hard for anyone in certain ethnic cultures to come out to parents that view homosexuality as a their worst nightmare. This seems to be Alice Wu's point at the center of her film "Saving Face", her debut movie that has a lot going for it and should be seen by more people because it has a lot of good things going for it.

Alice Wu has directed a movie that has all the right ingredients for a funny comedy. She treats her subject matter with dignity and with taste. We never feel Ms. Wu wants to show explicit sex in order to shock us. On the contrary, the one scene in the movie showing nudity is done elegantly and makes its point without being tacky.

The film seems to point out to what extent certain things are seen as taboo in an ethnic group living in their own secluded circle, not accepting the American culture because of what they perceive as dangerous and evil influences for them and their children. Which is the case of Wil's being gay and having the courage to tell her mother about it. At the same time, Wil's own mother has sinned, as far as her own parents are concerned, because she has become pregnant after living many years as a widow, dedicated to raising a daughter. This is a double whammy for the family that has strong social ties in the community.

As Wil, Michelle Krusiec is good; this young actress shows promise because she does a lot effortlessly. As her love interest, Lynn Chen, makes a beautiful Vivian, the dancer that wins Wil's love. Of course, the best thing in the film is Joan Chen. She makes the mother at the center of the movie mature and accept all the changes fate has thrown her way. These three actresses make "Saving Face" well worth seeing.

No doubt Alice Wu will go to bigger and better things since she shows a promise that is amazing.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favourite films!
isleong30 October 2005
Although it is an indie, I like indie films more because they are often thought-provoking and they are more realistic. This one is no exception. Very well written and acted. Michelle Krusiec and Lynn Chen have great chemistry together. Joan Chen and the supporting cast are excellent too. Being of Chinese descent myself, I can identify with the social taboos and stereotypes portrayed in the movie. Cultures definitely collide just like in real life. I especially like the way the movie handles them. Definitely a mover, a tear-jerker and conveys a very important message. All in all, a very powerful film, a definite triumph for Alice Wu and highly recommended!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saving Face
Purpleperson0728 May 2005
Perhaps it is because I don't live in a metropolitan city (although Orange County has it's fair share of good independent theaters) that I have not been saturated by 3 Asian American films this year focusing on lesbianism (see below review). I rather enjoyed Saving Face for it's unconventional roles, it's idealism, and great acting. I have become tired, and bored of most Asian Americans movies--most of which are either martial arts movies with people flying through the air on sticks and bouncing on trees, or the trials and tribulations of cultural differences and intolerance amongst families and issues based on generational gaps. Although the latter is important, it was refreshing to see a movie in which the focal point of the movie was not that the characters were Asian facing typical Asian issues, but were facing intolerance in general--be it coming out of the closet, having an illegitimate child, or loving someone much younger or older than you. Although the movie is very idealistic, I think Alice Wu-the director/writer is suggesting that we can only fight intolerance with acceptance and honesty. Perhaps this movie can open discussion amongst older and younger generations alike.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming, Subtle, and Funny!
allison-n-harvey6 November 2005
This movie was utterly amazing. There was a softness and a sensibility about it that just touched me when I watched it. The acting in it was believable and earnest and the direction was masterful: you could tell that Alice Wu had really worked on this one and felt extremely close to the subject matter. Saving Face is not your average 'gay move'. In fact, it isn't a 'gay movie' at all really, it's just a movie about love, family, and what it takes to bridge the gap between them sometimes. I laughed at the way Ma (J. Chen) was presented to the viewer and the way she interacted with Wil (Krusiek), her daughter. It showed a rift between first and second generation immigrants that you don't often get to see. The scenes between Wil and Viviene (L. Chen) were equally wonderful, but in a different way. Overall, there was amazing on screen chemistry between all of the actors in this film.

This movie is filled with tenderness, humor, and shows that sometimes, you just have to learn to save face.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful rendition of the funny-side of sadness
sirene_distraite10 July 2005
All actors, especially Chen are wondrous. This film was good enough that I saw it twice, the first time there was trouble with the sound and we were given free passes to see it again. If this film hadn't been a gem, I'd not have seen it twice in two days, but second-time around the film blossomed in water, revealing more details and subtle mechanics that set apart truly good films from those under the umbrella of 'arty' or 'foreign.' This is the kind of film lesbian's long to see, it's free of cliché's for the most part, has attractive women in it, is humorous and not too satirical, but plays to the frustrations and sadness of being gay in a disapproving setting, as well as reaching further in and plucking out some excellent observations about mother/daughter's and the nature of courage. Saying this, the film's highlight lies in the role of 'ma' played by Joan Chen, who radiates as a pregnant 40-something traditional Chinese daughter who is disgraced by her predicament and set adrift by her furious father. Insight further into Chinese culture, humor and survival in America, and the fragile but powerful bonds that bind us, gives this film a real backbone aside from the 'gay subject matter' and in its own right, merits watching for anyone. Interestingly the audience both times was pretty evenly split between apparent hetero-and-homo-sexual movie-goers, and the laughs came from both sides. I'm going to guess this kind of movie, through not 'ramming it down your throat' and being incidentally about gays, makes being gay, and watching gay-characters, that much more normal. A great movie.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent debut for first-time director Alice Wu
prasad_pd11 December 2005
It's easy to see that the story is one that's close to Wu's heart, as the care and affection she has for the story and each character in it comes through on the screen.

I personally loved the flow and the feel of the movie, and all the actors did an excellent job. Joan Chen does well in a role that she is not used to playing, but Michelle Krusiec absolutely steals the show as a regular, down-to-earth doctor who happens to like girls, and is just trying her best to be a good Taiwanese daughter.

The chemistry between her and Lynn Chen (who plays her love interest) is absolutely believable, and is very refreshing as it manages to avoid a lot of crude lesbian stereotyping.

Anyone looking for some insight into the dynamics of most Chinese societies/families should watch this, as should anyone who wants a nice feel-good comedy that actually delivers on its comedy part. I split my sides laughing at many points in the movie, and had to actually rewind the DVD to catch all the stuff I missed while trying to stop laughing.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone who enjoys a chick-flick, and look forward to Ms. Wu's next project.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Transcends many stereotypical gay and modern Chinese films
jotan199918 November 2005
While visiting NYC in Aug '05, I saw the movie playing at Angelika Film Center and I really wanted to see it but did not get a chance. I found the DVD at Queen Video in Toronto two months later! Loved every minute of it. This film definitely transcends many stereotypical gay and modern Chinese films. Lynn Chen is gorgeous! If you love Chinese films like The Wedding Banquet or Eat Drink Man Woman, this is a must see! The actors really portrayed the characters in a genuine, almost unscripted sort of way. The movie addresses a difficult subject in a very funny, witty manner and leaves the audience feeling very good. Kudos to Alice Wu for having the guts to pursue her dreams in film making. I hope this is the first of many. One of the best films I have seen in a LONG time! I highly recommend it!
A Must See Film! So worth it, my friends and I would pay to see it 100 times
maeinla20 July 2005
Beautifully acted, filmed and written, true to life, and touching. It made us laugh, smile, and cry. Thank you so very much for producing it, writing it and finding the best actresses/actors to portray these dynamic and interesting characters. Thank you, thank you to Alice Wu for creating this story/film. I wish I can find my Vivian. :) I hope to see more films with these actresses/actors a lot more in the future. I hope to see more writers/directors such as yourself taking on this profession. As I was watching the movie, I kept wanting it to last forever. I enjoyed each and every moment of it. I plan on seeing it again with my friends in NYC during my visit this week and then I already rounded up a few other friends to go in LA. This film captivated me, isn't it obvious :) I would have never heard of this film if it wasn't through word of mouth. I hope its doing well at the box office, its worth seeing.
A Sweet, Chinese-American Take on Women Succeeding on Their Terms
noralee14 June 2005
"Saving Face" is a warm-hearted look at three generations of a Chinese-American family in Queens, NY as their lives are thrust into unplanned directions.

In her writing/directing debut, Alice Wu creates three-dimensional personalities who have little to do with either the usual immigrant or the specifically Asian stereotypes, even as the characters tellingly reflect their age and gender cohort.

The emphasis is on the women in the family as, amusingly, the widowed mother and her doctor daughter turn out to each be rebels from their insular community in their own surprising ways, as they in turn become feast for gossip fodder in their close-knit neighborhood (this may be the first movie filmed in Flushing's sprawling Chinatown).

Through mostly subtitled dialog the film affectionately shows the closeness of families and friends who are intimately on top of each other's business and the impact when some don't follow the straight and narrow. A Chinese-American woman in the audience from the area pointed out to me that the subtitles don't quite get across the film's acuity in reflecting how the different generations use the language, from the more formal grandparents to the more colloquial parents to the Americanized twenty-somethings using "Chinglish" in communicating more complicated feelings and activities, though the actors well use body language when their characters feel linguistically frustrated in either direction.

The model minority pressures on all the generations are shown in unconventional ways, from the grandfather's tales of surviving the Cultural Revolution to a father's pressures on a dancer to be a prima ballerina. There is gently pointed commentary about Asian-American experiences threaded through, in attitudes towards other groups, as all the relationships here are intra-Chinese-American, and when the bored mother asks for Chinese films in a video store and pretty much only finds films that the actress Joan Chen herself starred in next to stereotyped porno films (as simultaneously her daughter and lover are making their own explicit erotic explorations) -- it's almost a running joke when other characters suddenly realize how beautiful she is. The daughter's mentoring attending surgeon is also a Chinese-American and the jokes all share about two-degrees of separation in their ethnic community are droll comparisons to playing "Jewish geography." The romantic plot twists at the end start to become guessable just before their revelations, but at that point we are really rooting for the women to succeed on their terms. Chen's trajectory as a middle-aged unmarried woman finding herself concludes a bit too sweetly, but is still unconventional. Michelle Krusiec spiritedly conveys a woman who can be a successful surgical resident but who also faithfully spends her Friday nights as a dutiful daughter, even while struggling with her own identity.

The film makes marvelous use of its Queens locations, from Astoria's rooftop views of Manhattan to local restaurants and realistic apartments and houses (the credits list more parking coordinators than most action films list drivers), as well as to elevated subways and the Main Street subway station.

The soundtrack also communicates the notion of lives parallel to the mainstream with lovely cover songs, including by Leona Naess and Cat Power.

Coincidentally, the film shares several plot points, though with a different tone, with another new film, "Red Doors," that was just screened at the Tribeca Film Festival and is scheduled for fall release.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable but well acted and put together
jmatrixrenegade27 May 2005
It might be a spoiler to the uninitiated, I mean to this genre, but the ending is rather predictable. But, the joy of the movies is the journey to quite often predictable endings, and this one is well worth a watch.

One comment noted that there has been a few Asian lesbian flicks ... perhaps, though I am not really familiar with them. Still, the film does have that preciousness to it ... the liberal viewer is pleased that the film is so open-minded, etc. (lesbian daughter, somewhat closedminded mom who then again did have a secret relationship that led to her getting pregnant, etc.) And, life is just not filled with people that we all can just plain love. ... sometimes, people remain closedminded, even after 90 minutes.

But, who goes to the movies for total reality anyway? The movie is fun, the characters are people we care about, and it is definitely a feel good experience. Joan Chen as the mom is quite good, but so are the others, including the lesbian daughter and her new ballet g/f -- they definitely make a nice couple, and the grandparents. Only the black next door neighbor does not really come off as a full character.

The movie as a whole is well shot, including the scenes at the hospital, and it takes care of the obligatory final third pretty well. One complaint, though a minor one, is that the movie only translates some of the Chinese early on. A few times this apparently was a problem since the Chinese woman next to me laughed at a few of the untranslated comments! Lol. Still, the subtitles generally was fine as well.

Take a star or two off if you find this sort of thing a bit too predictable and add a star if you are totally in the mood for this sort of thing.
Excellent movie
w-bogdan23 December 2006
Excellent movie. I wasn't too confident about the movie but after I've seen it I can say that is one o the best I've seen lately.

It's funny,witty and deals with modern day issues. Actually, old problems - love,but in new ways.

It's worth seeing and I can't wait for another movie from Alice Wu. I think she reached her goal : "What I really wanted is that a 25-year-old white guy could suddenly relate to a 48-year-old Chinese woman ...or a 50-year-old black man could relate to a 29-year-old Chinese doctor. If that works, I've done my job. Once we strip away the differences, we're remarkably similar."

Good luck with "Foreign Babes in Beijing "
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply wonderful and heart warming!
petrushkaml24 August 2006
This movie is great and I recommend it to everyone - gay or straight. It's just so emotional, beautiful, realistic and simple. Also quite hilarious because of Chinese related jokes... I was laughing my head off throughout the movie.

The topic of homosexuality is perfectly addressed because, well, they keep it real. Nothing to do with other "hollywoodian" gay films. This one knows when to be deep, and when to be light.

It is a perfect combination that leaves you with a heavy heart and a smile on your lips.

As for the cast, they do a wonderful job! Joan Chen brings her character to life and she is really funny. Michelle Krusiek is simply adorable and her role as a doctor totally suits her. Whatsmore, she is the cutest shy and confused lesbian, a little clumsy on the side, but always lovable. As for Lynn Chen, she's just beautiful and sexy but not in a pretentious way (which is nice to see for once).

The love love story is totally believable and every emotion carried by the characters feels right and sincere. Finally, a great movie! Alice Wu did an amazing job!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.