Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) Poster

1,851 Reviews
Viva Pirates!
skyblueangel-110 July 2006
Well, first of all, when I read the review for the movie in my hometown paper, I was a little scared that Pirates might be a let down. The trailer and the movie clips, it seemed, didn't really let on that there was much of a story line -- that it just kind of goes on and on and on, like the Matrix 2, with no storyline -- just fighting. Plus, most people do agree: sequels are hardly ever as good as the originals. And in this case, it's true... Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest isn't the original. But, its an awesome movie in its own right! There are a few surprises in this movie. A few characters come back from the first that you wouldn't expect to see in the second. but... um! that's all I'm saying. This movie is definitely a lot more violent and gory than the first one. Don't bring the little kids to it. But, trust me -- this is not a Matrix-type movie... There is an actual storyline. And a good one at that. Capt. Jack Sparrow is back as well as Elizabeth and Will, who are forced to find him and obtain his compass, or else they will face the gallows. Well, actually, Will has to find him. Elizabeth escapes, and yes... as you've seen in the trailers, she does dress up like a man for this movie. Making it all the more comical. (you'll see what I mean).

The comedy was superb in this movie. Of course, it wasn't as good as the first, but you can't expect it to be. Yes, there were a few instances were they could've shortened the fighting scenes, but it was very well shot and scripted.

I wish they would've changed a few things about the movie, but you can't have everything. And don't expect everything to be resolved at the end. No! There's a cliff-hanger ending that leaves you wanting the watch the next one the moment the credits start rolling.

If you like the first movie, you'll like the second... And that's all I'm saying.

Jack Sparrow: "Why is the rum *always* gone?" (he stands up and staggers) "Oh... That's why."
59 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun, perfect visuals
baelara8 August 2006
This movie has everything a good blockbuster should have: star cast, special effects, a healthy dose of drama, romance, a villain (so to say), sadly also a rather weak story, with an ending just calling for "part three" (just like the last second in the Matrix trilogy) I didn't get that feeling, that the adventure is finished somehow, more like a soap opera ending. On the other hand some dialogs are really funny, and the whole movie is more like a parody on pirates.

All and all: go and see this, sit down in that cinema and have a good time with friends, but if you are more into "heavy for the mind" stuff, this is not a must-see for you.
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shamelessly entertaining
bmelanie10 July 2006
Some blockbuster movies pretend to be more than they actually are. They sometimes even try to be philosophical. 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest', thank goodness, does no such thing. From start to finish, it practically flaunts the fact that it is pure and utter entertainment, comic yet breathtaking. The slapstick comedy involving the various sequences on the cannibal island and the water mill are amusing, the scenes at sea with the Flying Dutchman and the Kraken draw gasps, and, as ever, the antics of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow brings endless pleasure. Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Swann does her share too, but Orlando Bloom as William Turner is still somewhat...wooden, perhaps because of the insipid character that he plays. His (almost idiotic) chivalry and goodness simply does not click with the mischievous magnetism that Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swann delivers. He still does amuse from time to time, however. The supporting cast is truly stellar; Bill Nighy as Captain Davy Jones, Stellan Skarsgard as Bill 'Boostrap' Turner and Naomie Harris as Tia Dalma are simply brilliant. Bill Nighy delivers his lines with aplomb, smacking his lips as if he relishes each syllable. Stellan Skarsgard is completely believable as the wretched Bootstrap Bill, a man who has fallen to the depths as far as he can go, and yet can still find the strength to endure it all in the love he has for his son, William. Naomie Harris is just as charismatic as the former two, but her charisma is not menacing or stoic but mysterious and even alluring. When she grins her black-toothed grin, one cannot help but grin along with her. In the end, 'Dead Man's Chest' is a roller-coaster-ride of a movie that thoroughly exploits every minute of its two-and-a-half-hour running time, ending with a final cliffhanger that leaves people feeling excited yet frustrated. (Remember when you watched 'Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' and realized that you would have to wait another year for 'The Two Towers'? Like that.) NB. If you have the patience, stay till the end of credits. It's mildly amusing.
95 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pirates, Squid/Fishfaces, Kraken And A Dead Man's Chest
Chrysanthepop3 August 2008
The first time I saw 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest', I disliked it so much that I didn't bother finishing. However, something motivated me to give it another chance and surprisingly I enjoyed it. It is quite well executed. The action sequences and stunts are brilliantly choreographed. My favourite one was the three-way sword fight that continued through a spinning wheel. I liked that the director used minimal CGI for these scenes. The cinematography is stunning and the exotic landscape is breathtaking.

The actors do a fairly good job of reprising their role. It's great to see Johnny Depp again as Jack Sparrow. Orlando Bloom is quite alright but his chemistry with Keira Knightley appears to be weaker than in the first movie. Knightley does an okay job too. Jack Davenport is a surprise to watch in a different gettup. Bill Nighy is great as the squid-faced villain and Naomie Harris is convincing as the witch with the Jamaican accent. The rest of the cast are adequate.

The dialogues are funny and witty and the comedy works but at times, 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest' felt more like a repetition than a continuation of 'Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl'. The CGI, particularly on Davy Jones and his crew looked poor when compared to that used in Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' (the kind which would have excellently worked for this movie). The ending is unintentionally funny and seems very rushed. Not to mention, it's continuous (a cliffhanger ending) so the third one better be good.

For me, what stood out more about this movie than the first one were the amazing outdoorsy locations and the action scenes. It's quite a good sequel and very entertaining. Hopefully, the third one properly rounds up the trilogy and not end up like the disastrous 'X-Men'.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Captivating
WithoutWings6 July 2006
As a sequel, it had much to live up to the glory of the first film, and personally, I thought it had done rather well. The special effects on Bill Nighy (Davey Jones) and his pirate crew was perhaps the best; it was very realistic. The movie had a bit of a slow start, but overall was a wonderful film. Johnny Depp did well in his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow, as previously in the first film. Keira Knightley and Bill Nighy were also of mentionable performances. I thought Orlando Bloom was a little wooden, as I thought of his performance in the first film, but still believable and he managed to pull it off. The ending which was rather interesting, served its purpose in suspense. It left the audience hanging, and it also left me hanging in a buzz of questions. I'm extremely eager to see the next Pirates of Caribbean film. However, the film did contain quite a number of references to the first film, The Curse of the Black Pearl, and I advise you to recap your knowledge of the first film and re-watch it to get the gist.

Overall, I believed the second Pirates of Carribbean was a rather good film, and very successful in standards of sequels. I can't wait for the third.
510 out of 795 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful film
jaarlei5 July 2006
I just came out of the movie 30 minutes ago (as it was released a day before America over here).

The movie is visually stunning - the CGI is top rate and you won't spend the whole film groaning about how fake things appear on the screen.

Acting was brilliant. Johnny Depp once again proves why he's the only man alive who can play the role of Cap. Jack Sparrow. There's a great number of returning characters from the first film - including a couple I was very happy to see again.

My only fault was perhaps that this film lack a certain 'heart' that the first film had, which I believe came because the first film was something very different, which of course this film couldn't contend with.

That aside, you will hardly notice it. There's a good plot, wonderful sets, great acting and plenty of laughs. One of the best films I've seen all year thus far - can't wait for the 3rd one!
523 out of 822 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NOT even close to a complete movie
connmoore9 July 2006
It is usually a bad sign if a popcorn movie like this clocks in at well over two hours. the amazing thing about that running time is, that not a single plot point is resolved in this film. Everything that is brought into the movie as being there for our hero's to overcome, is still there when the credits roll those ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY MINUTES finally end. Two and a half hours, just to set up a third movie? I'm sorry, but that has to be the biggest rip off since Manhatten and those beads and trinkets used to buy it.

To be sure the cast is still beautiful, (At least the leads are) and the action comes fast and furious, but it leads absolutely nowhere. The first movie was a complete film. There was a resolution at the end, and if there never had been a sequel made, it would not have affected what people thought of that movie one bit. This film requires you to see the unreleased (and let me add, not due to be released for almost another year.) Watching Johnny Depp act in these films is worth the price of admission, and its not a bad movie, just a pointless one. Personally I now know I could have saved my time and money, waited till next summer, and gone to the ACTUAL sequel, not this clumsy attempt to pad this into a five hour epic. Sheesh they were able to tell Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur, or Lawrence of Arabia in far less time then the five hours that these two movies will eventually need to resolve issues that everyone in the audience already knows the ending to.
81 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Much CGI, Not Enough Captain Jack
Fluffy_Poodle13 July 2006
Let me start off by saying how much I loved the first PotC movie. I adored it. It's not on my list of favorite movies of all time, but I still adored it. Johnny Depp was brilliant, the story was fun, it was immensely entertaining, even Orlando Bloom didn't annoy me as much as he usually does. But this thing? People are comparing THIS to The Empire Strikes Back? THIS movie beat the records of Revenge of the Sith and Spiderman? Two movies that are actually GOOD?

Instead of comparing Dead Man's Chest to The Empire Strikes Back (my favorite movie of all time), I would compare it to Temple of Doom. It was nowhere near as good as the first movie and relied far too much on special effects and "gross out" moments. Disney made the mistake that studios often make when they have an extreme success with an action movie: they assumed it was the special effects that people liked, not the story or the characters. Where was my beloved Captain Jack? The movie was TWO AND A HALF hours long. You think they could have put him in it more, but no. His character was also rather one-dimensional in this film, having hardly any scruples for abandoning his friends and such. The plot was contrived and just plain dumb. Half the time I had no earthly idea what was going on. In fact, the friend I saw the movie with kept poking me in the arm and asking, "Wait...what's happening?"

And don't get me started on the villain. He was a freaking OCTOPUS. All the CGI they used for the various undead things looked so cheesy. They weren't frightening in the least. What about Davy Jones's motive? Why DID he want Captain Jack's soul so much? I was utterly confused.

Finally, what was UP with the whole romance between Elizabeth and Jack? What about Will? I know any woman in her right mind probably WOULD choose Johnny Depp over Orlando Bloom any day, but this makes the romance between Elizabeth and Will in the first movie pretty pointless. And their romance was most of the PLOT in the first movie.

So, basically, I hated this movie. It wasn't offensively bad, though, and not AS bad as Temple of Doom (what is?) I was laughing throughout the entire thing at its utter stupidity. Frankly, though, I would rather go be disappointed by X3 again.

Which is pretty sad.
91 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
when special effects become a distraction
moly315813 July 2006
If I hadn't spent $8 to get into the theater I would have left this movie about half way through. But I stayed, hoping it would eventually get better — no such luck.

I think Disney let their idea people get out of control. The movie just got too crowded with special effects and totally goofy plot twists, which eventually robbed a good cast of any opportunity to actually act. Davey Jones and his crew are so over-endowed with gimmicks squirming over their bodies that they ended up more being more distracting than entertaining. And why did the director need to get so focused on being as gross as possible? Instead of gratuitous sex Disney gives us gratuitous slime. Johnny Depp nibbling on a necklace made of human toes was something I didn't get; I didn't need it, and neither did the movie.

Compared to the first film, Dead Man's Chest was a let down. I can't think of any redeeming qualities, except maybe that it is making a few people a lot of money.
156 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dead Man's Chest is great entertainment
samseescinema2 July 2006
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

reviewed by Sam Osborn

rating: 3.0 out of 4

More, more, more seems to be the theme running through Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. There's more adventure, more violence, more pirates, and more myth. Not to mention that two and a half hour running length. But while Superman Returns may have dragged some in its 150 minutes, Pirates hurtles along at a pace only expected from the offspring of a Disneyland theme-ride, rarely slowing for piddling bits of nonsense like, oh say, story. Of course, story's not the point of these flicks and it surely doesn't have to be. There's entertainment enough to be had without all the other hodgepodge. And Pirates 2, for all its expansion, manages to dodge common sequelitis pitfalls. It doesn't overdose on a memorable character from the original (cough, Matrix Revolutions, cough) or over-broaden it's scope (cough, Matrix Reloaded,cough). Dead Man's Chest is a continuation of the original Pirates adventure, just with a couple extra unmarked sails tacked onto its deck.

The plot has something to do with ole' Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp, of course) and his debt to Davy Jones (Bill Nighy). Debts, as we've all learned by now, are not things Mr. Sparrow is most proficient at repaying. The Dead Man's Chest factors in as it holds Mr. Jones' beating heart, which was ravaged by the likes of a lady whom he loved in the past. The English Navy blowhards also seem to be after the chest, and blackmail William Turner (Orlando Bloom) to seek out Capt. Jack's magic compass, which supposedly points toward the treasure. Held in a cell is Will's fiancé, Elizabeth Swan (Kiera Knightley), under charges of assisting Capt. Jack in the franchise's last swashbuckler. What it boils down to is a mottled mess of a chase to find the key to Davey Jones' chest, and avoiding his gargantuan beast, the Kraken.

The myth itself wrings deeper than the original's, with Davey Jones and his seafood cohorts rendered with an unholy amount of CGI goodness to make them squirm convincingly in all their scaly, slippery evil. But the plot doesn't hold much water, same as the first, though plot was never the point. As long as it paints a tastily mythological backdrop for our pirates to plunder, we're kept smiling. And even though the picture has all the weight of a paperclip, the franchise has at least matured since it's last time around. The mood has thickened and no longer can we tell that the film is a shameless translation of its Disneyland ride. Writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio take efforts to develop each of our three heroes separately, using individual sub-plots to fill in the otherwise empty molds left dry from the original. Will Turner has a family reunion with his father (Stellan Skarsgard), enslaved by Davy Jones and appearing as though he's slowly evolving into a starfish. Will's fiancé, Ms. Swan, escapes from her cell and hides as a stowaway on a trade vessel. And Jack, of course still functioning as the star of the show, develops his slimier persona with delectable cowardice and deception. Ironic that the teenagers of America have chosen Mr. Sparrow as their most prized character in film. Oh, wait, that honor instead belongs to Napoleon Dynamite. Perhaps we should be nervous about our country's future?

Anyway, along with the characters the adventure is also thickened heartily; though probably not by consequence of the writing, but instead because of the greatly inflated budget. Our friends are volleyed about the seas, facing the enormous sea monster, the Kraken, whose plunger-like tentacles crumple vessels like copy-paper. Swordplay is more indulgent too, with Verbinksi going so far as to mount a chivalric swordfight inside a huge, rolling waterwheel as it bounces along the island's foliage. Verbinski juggles these stunts with ease, proving once again his film-making versatility. If you'll remember all the way back to last October (I know, in Hollywood-time nine months is an epoch) Verbinski made a quiet, gloomy little character study called The Weather Man. And before that, Verbinski also directed The Ring and Captain Jack's first adventure in 2003. Yup, this guy's the real deal. In the waterwheel sequence, Verbinski chooses not to succumb to any mere CGI trickery, and mounts a camera on the wheel's axis to show that at one point he forced Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom to swordfight on a giant spinning wooden wheel. And he's more artistic than your typical Brett Ratner-esquire director, finding a visual aesthetic perfect for a pirate's tale.

But art and pretentious critic fodder aside, Dead Man's Chest is great entertainment. It's rich and exciting and chock-full of Captain Jack-isms for high schoolers to repeat over and again. And the life of pirates is still a chunk of history that Hollywood has been unwilling to bite into for a while. Pirates of the Caribbean, for all its feathery, lightweight fun, gorges on this chunk and keeps us hooked on the adventure, waiting along with all the local eighth and ninth graders next year for the midnight showing of Captain Jack's trilogy capper.
167 out of 270 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than equals its predecessor.
I_Like_Turtle_s6 July 2006
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest does the right thing as a sequel: It maintains the same carefree spirit of the original and creates an even more fitting story to the whole Pirates lore. After narrowly escaping the gallows--with the help of his friends Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley)--and reclaiming his cursed Black Pearl, it still seems Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) has a few more fish to fry. More specifically the barnacle-encrusted undead on board the ghostly Flying Dutchman, lead by Mr. Octopus Face himself, Davy Jones (Bill Nighy). Jack apparently owes a blood debt to the inky captain and if he can't find a way out of it--namely locating the secret contents of Jones' famed locker--Sparrow will be doomed to eternal damnation and servitude in the afterlife (insert Jack Sparrow's face of disgust here). Making matters worse, Sparrow's problems manage to interfere with the wedding plans of Will and Elizabeth, who are forced to join Jack on yet another one of his misadventures.

Depp's Oscar-nominated performance as Captain Jack is still a marvel in slovenly pirate behavior, with his slurred speech, swaying swagger and slack, waving arms. But whether channeling famed Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards or not, it's the duality of the character that continues to intrigue us. He is a lusty, fearless man with a deeply defiant and somewhat sneaky streak but whose delicate features, long, dread locked hair, Kohl-rimmed eyes and almost girly mannerisms give him a subtly effeminate air that belies his macho antics. This time around, young Brits Knightley and Bloom have a little more to do, with Elizabeth's growing attraction to Jack and Will's reunion with his father, Bill "Bootstrap" Turner (Stellan Skarsgård), who's soul is stuck on the Flying Dutchman. And Nighy (Love Actually) once again makes his mark as an effective villain, infusing his rather quirky acting ticks--the laconic delivery, the laid-back attitude--which shines through all the special effects make-up. Let's just say, Nighy certainly rivals Depp in the arrogant rock star stance, even if he has tentacles for a face.

The other thing Dead Man's Chest does right is make things bigger and better. From a hair-raising sword fight on top of a spinning water wheel to the way Davy Jones and his crew look--all water logged and crustacean-like--the film's production value is simply amazing. Returning producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski make sure the action sequences, the sets, the costumes, the make-up and the special effects give the audience a familiarity to the original while also taking them on a whole new adventure. And if you are a fan of the Disney park attraction (the one at Disneyland, not Disney World), the elements that got missed in the first one--the creepy bayou, the beating heart in the treasure chest--are in this sequel. Dead Man's Chest does lag a bit from time to time, especially in heating up the Jack, Elizabeth and Will love triangle. But that's OK. We enjoy watching their banter, as much as we do the rest of it. And for those who'll want more adventure after the movie ends, Dead Man's Chest gives us a promise the third installment will be just as much pirate fun.

370 out of 619 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst movie of 2006 - waste of time and money
ashish-raju14 July 2006
This movie is horrendous in terms of plot, character development, and overall quality. It was such a disappointment after seeing the first one. I did not have huge expectations as other fans may have, but I did at least want a quality movie.

Other users have pointed this out in their reviews. This movie is a complete setup for Pirates #3 and possibly #4. I refuse to see the sequels as I feel they made me waste 2.5 hours of my time and money to set up Pirates #3. All the users who praise the movie, I have no idea what you are talking about. Don't waste your time and money seeing this.

This movie has nothing original about it. They provide the exact same jokes and perspectives as the first one. In addition, they steal several ideas and scenes from other movies. It's so annoying, boring, and proves to be a failure. A couple of my friends fell asleep during the movie during the slow progression and overall stupidity of plot. The ending is completely painful. The movie just stops abruptly and the credits roll. You leave with the most horrendous taste in your mouth and most disgusted feeling (as anyone would feel after having wasted hours of their time and money to see basically a trailer).
167 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great summer fun! Everything I hoped for!
musica18 July 2006
I will make my comments without spoilers so that people who haven't yet seen the movie can read it.

One of the worst things that can happen in a sequel to a successful movie is that audiences will feel like they're seeing the same movie again with slight variations on the theme. Dead Man's Chest gives us all the characters we loved in the first movie, but puts them in a refreshingly original movie. The action sequences will keep you on the edge of your seat. And there are more laugh-out-loud moments in this movie than in most comedies. I felt entertained from the beginning right through to the special scene after the closing credits. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I and my entire family will be going to see it again today.

For parents with young children: This movie is more violent than the first movie. There is a lot of killing, though none of it is shown close up or in a grisly manner. Davey Jones and his gang are very gross. In the screening I attended, there were a lot of "Ewwww!"s from the audience. If you have sensitive young ones, you should probably leave them at home.
250 out of 418 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Pirates' is visually stunning, but drifts due to convoluted plot
editor-29929 June 2006
Based on the massive popularity of the first installment, "Piates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl," in 2003, it was only natural for a sequel to this Disney swashbuckler to make its way to theatres.

After an adequate amount of time, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," starring most of the last movie's original cast, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly, Jonathan Pryce, etc. has hit the big screen.

And while the visuals, special effects and sets are extraordinary, the film seems to drag on searching for coherence in a meandering plot line which drifts all over the South Seas. It's not that I did not like this picture, or enjoy certain parts immensely, it's simply another case of the first one being better, as well as easier to understand.

"Dead Man's Chest" picks up basically where the first left off, but Will Turner (Bloom) and Elizabeth Swann (Knightly) are arrested on Port Royale by Lord Cutler Beckett (Tom Hollander, "Pride & Prejudice," "The Libertine"). The charge: Conspiring to aid in the escape of noted pirate, Capt. Jack Sparrow (Depp). The possible penalty: Death by hanging (the British answer to everything).

Cutler gives Turner an option, however. Find Sparrow and retrieve a certain key to a certain treasure chest, and all will be forgiven. Meanwhile, Sparrow and his motley crew have beached on a remote South Pacific island (thanks to Jack's non-functioning compass) inhabited by cannibals. While the crew is imprisoned in huge, round, wooden cages suspended from high cliffs, Sparrow is treated like a demigod.

After a series of goofy, but funny chases, the fun cannot last here, though, and with Turner's help, most of the men (and Jack) beat a hasty retreat from the venue. A side trip to visit what seems like a voodoo conjurer, Tia Dalma (Naomie Harris, "A Cock & Bull Story"), sheds a little more light on things. A key such as Beckett described to Turner does indeed exist; and it opens the chest which contains the still-living heart of Davy Jones, the mythical sailor punished for all eternity for falling in love with a woman (or something to that effect).

Shortly thereafter, the Black Pearl is overtaken by the ghostly Flying Dutchman, captained by none other than the squid-like Davy Jones (Bill Nighy, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," "The Constant Gardner"), and manned by a doomed crew now more fish and barnacle than man. Turner is kept on board while Jack, to pay off some debt to Jones, is sent to bring 100 souls to Jones as a ransom. On this ship, Turner also meets his doomed father, "Bootstrap" Bill Turner (Stellan Skarsgard, "King Arthur," "Exocist: The Beginning").

Jones, who keeps the key on his slimy person, also has sway over a huge sea monster, the Kraken, which can destroy a vessel and its crew in a matter of moments. The special effects in these sequences are terrific.

Meanwhile, Swann has stowed away aboard another ship, and convinces the captain to put in at the pirate port of Tortuga, where Sparrow is recruiting another crew, including the disgraced former Commodore James Norrington.

When she meets Jack, some sparks fly, but it's in her hands that the compass finally begins to lead the way to the "dead man's chest." It seems that each of the protagonists - Sparrow, Turner and Norrington - want Davy Jones' heart for themselves, and this sets off a hilarious three-way battle for the organ.

As expected, Depp is great in this role (although he seems a bit more spaced-out, or intoxicated most of the time), and there are some pretty good moments here (such as the triple sword-fight on a huge rolling water mill), if one can sit through the plot complications long enough to figure out what's going on.

The conclusion paves the way an obvious sequel (due for release in 2007), so that last picture may clear up some of the confusion from this one.
82 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to cry
Smarios4414 August 2006
I LOVED IT!!!!! Everyone in the movie was suited to play that role. It is just the end almost made me wanna cry. Barbossa walks in to help find Jack and the Crakken and the movie ENDS!!!! How much does that stink??? I wanted to cry I needed to know what happens..... and also it was very funny. AMAZING visual effects. Davy Jones mask looked so real. This movie has some of the best visual effects I have ever seen with the exception of the 10th Kingdom. Anyway, I recommend this movie to everyone. It was also very funny. Also I thought the man who played the evil guy who wanted Jack's compass was a very good actor but I didn't like his part.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Movie of the Summer (even though it was winter in Australia)
wliia1 August 2006
I only have one thing to say about this film... BRILLIANT (with a capital B)! Although there were some brilliant moments in the film, it was Johnny Depp who was a standout for me. His witty moments (especially when he says 'Oh, bugger' when confronted by the tribe) were wonderful. There are some moments here that were nasty (not gross/gory nasty), so the little kiddies may want to avoid this one. (It is rated M in Australia, PG-13 for America) But, it was a brilliant film. If you don't get to see it on the big screen, get the DVD when it comes out. You will not be disappointed! P.S. Did anyone love the new Walt Disney Pictures logo at the beginning? I did. I can't wait to see it again on DVD!
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does not ruin the first one!
billiejoefreak8 July 2006
This had to be absolutely wonderful. Usually a lot of movies that have a second or a third tend to ruin the first one, and this one certainly does not. It was one hundred percent better than the first one, actually. It was still action packed, funny, and it features people you would not expect, I was even dropping my jaw the whole time! If you liked Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, you're going to have to love this one too. Of course, Johnny Depp's acting is still wonderful as the last one, as well as Orlando Bloom's and Keira Knightley's. The effects are absolutely stunning and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I do suggest though, if you have not seen the first one, you need to see that before going to see this one..otherwise, you're going to be a "tad" clueless on some parts. The movie does total justice and I would see it again and again!
231 out of 400 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the first, and that's saying something
Jozxyqk6 July 2006
I will firstly say that after seeing the trailer and previews for this film I had serious doubts. I was afraid that the producers would just try to cash in on the original's success, and forget about any content.

I was pleasantly proved wrong.

This is the most fun I've had in the cinema in the longest time. I can't remember the last time I was so entertained.

Although it is a bit slow at times, and a bit predictable (although fun in it's predictability), it hardly lets up and continuously entertains.

If you loved the original, you will DEFINITELY love this film. The ending not only makes you laugh, it makes you think "What the hell?" and will make you eagerly anticipate (major understatement) the third installment.

There are some great lines, the same fun characters, an inventive and fun story, and some brilliantly staged action sequences.

In summation: SEE IT! See it on the big screen. If you miss it, you will surely regret it.
601 out of 1,089 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Of The 'Pirates' Trilogy, And Demo-Quality For Blu-Ray
ccthemovieman-122 November 2008
After seeing all three of the "Pirates Of The Caribbean" films, I still think this second one was easily the best of the three. Most friends disagree with me on this, but.....hey, we all look at films differently.

This was the best "Pirates" to me because it had some fascinating new characters; it did not have the sappy or annoying characters and romance of the first film; it had just the right mix of action and lulls and it had some super special-effects and humor. Much of that good stuff, unfortunately, was overdone in the third film.which also dragged on too long. This movie isn't short, but none of the action scenes go on too long and so the entire two-and-a-half hours is entertaining.

Also (and this goes for all three of the movie) it looks absolutely super on Blu-Ray. It's the reason POTC is often shown in electronic stores promoting high-definition televisions because this film is about as good-looking as it gets. It's incredibly sharp.

The newest main character is the multi-tentacled "Davy Jones," and he's a real hoot. Who knows how many hours each day poor Bill Nighy had to sit in the makeup room before "Davy" was ready for action. (Actually, the same good be said for Johnny Depp's "Capt. Jack Farrow, who wears almost has much makeup as the late Tammy Fae Bakker.) Anyway, between the battles of both land and sea, something interesting always is going on or being said in this movie, making it a fun ride all the way.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Would've waited for the DVD.
alexosborne8010 July 2006
AHOY SPOILERS......

Well i was a big fan of the original film and saw it multiple times in the cinema. The trailers for the new film were a little disappointing so helped not get my expectations too high but i still went to see dead mans chest with a fairly positive mind.

OH DEAR...... Now lets start what was good about the film as it is a much shorter list....well the GGI was really good. Davy Jones looked awesome and his henchmen also looked great. The escape from the Tribe was also quite funny.

Now onto the bad, well for starters the film didn't have the fun swash buckling feel too it, they went allot darker and for me this didn't work. In the first film the back stabbing had a humorous element to it, in this it felt cold and wrong. Also the humour was just repeat jokes from the first film. There were like 5 rum jokes in the film and only 2 of them were funny. There was hardly any original material, that made you laugh like the first film.

The film also feels like the first part of a longer film, which of course it is but it does not stand alone by itself as a good film. They cram so much story and plot into and none of it is paid off in this film. The cliff hanger at the end does not feel like a cliff hanger the film just stopped and even the ending was contrived. They should have done an Indiana Jones and done two separate films with two separate plots with the same cast.

Also the film felt very forced. Why 2 years after POTC would the Indian trading company only just decide to arrest will turner?? Why would they also want to arrest Commander Norrington for letting Jack go when Norrington apparently chased Jack Sparrow till he lost his crew?? Why the hell were the two pirates from the first film rowing a boat in the middle of the sea?? Why after escaping does Elizabeth go and see the Lord?? Why when her and will are reunited do they care about getting a pardon, they are both free why not go and live in china?? How the hell do they go and see the witch at the end without a boat?? why see the witch at the end at all?? EVen the set up for the next film was forced.

To me it feels like they had a whole load of sequences and gags planned and then they wrote a script around it. The editing was also really bad, one minute Jack is running away on the Black Pearl the next he is a Tribe leader and what the hell was will trying to do at the end with all of the dynamite and rum, yeah the plan worked but it should not have done.

If Pirates 3, is the best film ever then this film could be redeemed. As it stands at the moment it sucks big time and is pure filler. If you are a fan of the first film see this at your own risk.
54 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!
ronney-210 July 2006
I loved the first movie, so I had to see the second one. The beginning was a bit slow, but there sure was a lot of action. The sword fighting scenes were exciting and in some cases rather funny as well. The special f/x were outstanding. All of the characters were believable, even the computerized ones. The voodoo lady was hard to understand. I caught every other words she said. I'm sure I'll get all of the humor when I buys this DVD and play her section with the CC on! I didn't quite understand the reason behind the part of the movie with the tribal people other than it gave the movie more action scenes. That whole section could be removed and the movie would still flow well. I loved Commodore Norrington in the first movie. I was disappointed with what they did to him in the second movie. I hope he returns in all his glory for the 3rd Pirates movie.

I saw a few young children in the theater and was horrified to think that those young eyes saw some very scary and gruesome images. Please, don't take your children until you've seen this yourself first.

The movie is a perfect cliffhanger. There are enough questions left for you to want to go back to see Pirates 3.
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pirates 2 not as 'sugar coated'!!!
blackpearl8715 July 2006
When watching pirates 2 for the first time, you start to wonder what was going through director Gore Verbinski's mind. Pirates 2 shows a very different side to piracy than that of 'the curse of the black pearl'.

Disloyalty, greed and lying are the basic themes of piracy, but this has shown more in the second film than the first. Mr Verbinski has definitely shown a new side to piracy, making it not as 'sugar coated' as the first movie.

But overall, at the end you are still hanging of the end of your set as expected. Well done to all those involved. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead man's chest was tops!!!!
328 out of 616 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a ride!
l_moonshade10 July 2006
This movie is every bit as good as the first, if not better. The old characters are just as you remember them (with some changes in fortune for a couple), the new characters are wonderfully colorful and memorable, and the bad guys are delightfully evil and cunning. I loved the plot, I loved the way it played out. Jokes and snappy one-liners abound, just as witty as in the first. And, once again, Captain Jack Sparrow has one of the best introductions in movie history. The special effects were very good and everything looked realistic. The sword work was excellent, the fights both suspenseful and entertaining. And, there's a wonderful surprise at the end. If you want a movie that will make you think, this isn't really it. But, if you want a fun, entertaining movie that will take you away from reality for a little while, this is definitely the one for you. It's a great ride, and great fun.
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie's ending was a black mark against Disney (contains spoilers)
xolovethatboyox17 July 2006
Fans of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl have been waiting patiently for the next movie to come out. Quite frankly, this movie was not worth waiting three years for. Davy Jones and the Island scenes seemed like two different movies. This movie didn't solve anything. Norrington was the only character that grew. Jack Sparrow's character was changed from a crooked good man to. . . I don't even know. His character was extremely shallow and humorless. It felt as though a two year old designed his character. The characters that we knew and loved became warped in this movie. Will just sulked his way through the movie, and I don't even know what was up with Elizabeth. And what was with that horrible ending? Asking if they wanted to go on a new adventure was lame, a letdown, and a horrible way to finish off the movie.The only good thing I can see about this movie is that there is no way the third one can be any worse. All in all, the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was not worth paying the money to go see it.
33 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie has had its heart ripped out, much like Davy Jones
palsy-16 August 2006
Okay, I made a previous comment praising this movie in the sense of good spirit because I liked the actors and their performances even though I horribly dread it compared to Curse of the Black Pearl. However, now that I have indulged myself in metaphorical rum, I have come to realize that I was way too forgiving of this movie.

Firstly, the flaws in the content were abysmal: The plot was overloaded with action, devoid of all the quaint, understated humor of the original (ex: "why is the rum gone?"). This movie has had its heart ripped out, much like Davy Jones. If you enjoy action heavy movies, by all means go see Dead Man's Chest. However, if you repeatedly watch Curse of the Black Pearl for nostalgia's sake and miss the subtle humor and small production feel, you will cry with agony 10 minutes into this movie. This movie takes itself way too seriously.

Secondly, the only thing that redeems this movie while simultaneously condemning it is that all the glitz distracts you from the picture's lack of soul. To the special effects team, photo-real animation can be distracting when used too much! CG effects in general can be a distraction when used too much. This is a prime example of special effects gone wrong! In fact, the movie is so weighed down by its special effects that the actors don't get a chance to act (hence lack of soul). I don't blame the actors, because they did a brilliant job on The Curse of the Black Pearl so I believe they know their stuff.

Thirdly, I felt the time slip through my fingers. After 2.5 hours of my life that I will never get back, I walked out of the theatre with a gigantic headache. Too many motives/ sub-plots! Arrg. Will vs his father vs Davy Jones, the Commadore vs Will, Will vs Jack, Jack vs Davy Jones vs The East India Company vs Elizabeth! What ever happened to plot line 101? The protagonist-antagonist ratio is on overload. The whole confusing mess comes to an apex when the Commadore, Jack, Will, Elizabeth, and Davy Jone's crew fight ALL at once on the island where Davy Jone's heart is buried. Not only does it give you a headache to watch, but because of all the diverging plot lines, nothing gets resolved. Annoying.

I will conclude with this. I am going to see Pirates 3 because I still enjoyed Captain Jack Sparrow and his smart, witty exchanges with Ms. Elizabeth. I am determined to see what becomes of their relationship. But more importantly I hope Jerry Bruckheimer can fix what he broke... the hearts of Pirates fans everywhere. However, because the crew shot some of Pirates 3 (w/o a script) while still filming Dead Man's Chest, I think things are off to a shaky start. Jumping the gun to save money is economically savvy but not too wise with all these summer half-baked movies. First I was commandeered onto the X3 (shoot me now) band wagon, and now something worse? Still, I hold out hope. Until then I will dive into the metaphorical bottle of rum.

"We're devils, we're black sheep, and really bad eggs. Drink up me hearties, yo ho!"
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.