Gnomeo & Juliet (2011) Poster

My boys LOVED it!!!
tina-17510 February 2011
I took my twins (age 5) to see this today and they were THRILLED to bits!! I disagree with the reviewer that says it's a "girls'" movie! My Hot Wheels/Bionicle loving sons, loved it and they didn't think it was girly one bit and neither did I!

I also did not think it was a Toy Story rip off as there have been a ton of movies featuring toys that come alive long before Toy Story anyway. Yes, garden gnomes and decorations come to life but that's were the similarity between the two ends.

I did not go in expecting to see a cartoon version of Romeo and Juliet so I was not disappointed one bit and thankfully, this story does not share the tragic end of the original tale. I did like the characters quite a bit, I LOVED how the gnomes were fragile, I loved the clay clinging sounds they made, how realistic the textures were.. it did not feel like a "dime a dozen" animation at all!! It was bright, it had a solid plot, and it was going somewhere (unlike let's say, Alpha and Omega or Happy Feet).

My boys were begging as soon as the titles rolled to watch it again so we just might be returning to the movie theater with some friends this weekend. I wouldn't mind seeing it myself and I was glad we did go see it because after I read the previous review, I had my doubts if it was going to be any good but it was!!! My boys "got it" much better than say, Shrek... so it will appeal to a younger crowd as well in my opinion...
38 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lighten up, really
Fang_3312 February 2011
Cut the pretentious crud. This film is obviously intended to entertain a younger audience, and it does a good job at doing that, while somewhat tactfully putting in some jokes for the parents. No, it's not spectacular. If you watch this movie expecting something "Grade A", you're not going to get much out of it.

The plot: generic, predictable. But obviously so, considering it's called "Gnomeo and Juliet".

The cast is an oddball compilation of respectable actors, with the exception of the obscure addition of Ozzy. But what is really keeping this movie going is the cuteness of it. That is the selling point, and what makes it most appealing. If you go into this movie expecting something more, you will be left disappointed. So I suggested you loosen up, look for a laugh, and you'll enjoy it more. It's not a bad film.
70 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funny as!
Mork_the_Borg25 February 2011
Okay, so I bought myself a pack of 10 movie-tickets from Hoyts and thought "what the heck" lets see a movie with the family. So, we went for Gnomeo and Juliet and we really, really enjoyed it. Yes, the movie is predictable from start to finish, but I say: "So what!" It's supposed to be a family/kids movie and we all know that this movie is not going to end like the real Romeo and Juliet. The characters are funny, the voices are great, the flamingo(s) even better. The Terrafirmanator is cool - I would like to order three and have them delivered within the next 5 minutes. Mixing in the music of good old Sir Elton John makes the movie even better - it becomes so English! Mmmm... the end-scene did remind me of Shrek a lot (just a lot softer, which makes sense them being a bunch of garden gnomes - they are quite fragile), but it's still very, very positive. Yeah, I believe Gnomeo and Juliet is a must see for the family - you won't regret it. Oh, please observe the sound when the gnomes happen to touch each other - I think the sound artists have done a fantastic job!
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun movie for the kids!
TheChampReview31 March 2011
First of let me just say that this is a kid's movie and its only purpose is to entertain children. So if you're an adult trying to find a reason to pick it apart, you need a new hobby! I'm someone who enjoys seeing animated children's films because they're fun and refreshing. I don't worry about holes in the story, the score, the acting, the cinematography because at the end of the day if my nieces and nephews are entertained then the movie did it's job.

This is a fun flick and has a very interesting take on Romeo and Juliet. I especially loved the scene towards the end where the main character Gnomeo was chatting it up with a William Shakespeare statue. The beginning was funny as the random Gnome tried to explain the plot. I enjoyed it.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Probably better than it should have been...
When I first saw trailers for "Gnomeo & Juliet", I groaned at the thought: Romeo and Juliet as told by garden gnomes? Really? Aside from the obvious absurdity of the concept, I wondered exactly how faithfully they'd stick to the story. The ending of Shakespeare's original story would prove awfully dark for the young audiences that would be naturally drawn to this.

So, with these reservations in mind I saw the film last night with my 7 and 10 year old daughters, and found myself enjoying the movie much more than I expected to. Is the concept absurd? Sure, but the writers made plenty of clever use of that absurdity, with some great sight gags and setups.

I won't go into detail on the issue of the original's dark ending, but the writers here found a sly way to acknowledge that original ending without having to actually incorporate it in this loose remake.

Elton John is credited as an Exec Producer (and his partner David Furnish has a Producer credit as well). The movie makes liberal use of EJ's music, generally to good effect.

And my daughters both loved it. Great family fare.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Was pleasantly surprised
Ruth_9126 February 2011
Gnomeo and Juliet is the latest re-imagining of Shakespeare's tragedy, Romeo and Juliet . I will admit that I didn't go into this film with high hopes, but while its not an instant classic, I was pleasantly surprised.

Two households, both alike in dignity, In fair Verona, where we lay our scene, From ancient grudge break to new mutiny, Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean...

The film begins with an amusing homage to these lines, before we really get into it. The garden gnomes of two neighbouring backyards, the Red Gnomes and the Blue Gnomes, have an ongoing rivalry as to who's garden is best. They constantly try to sabotage each other and dislike each other immensely. After a lawnmower race in which Tybalt the Red gnome (voice of Jason Statham) beats the Blue gnome Gnomeo (voice of James McAvoy), Gnomeo and sidekick Benny decide to sneak in by night and vandalise the Red's garden. Meanwhile Juliet (Emily Blunt), protected and thought too fragile by her father Lord Redbrick, is desperate to prove she is otherwise. Gnomeo and Juliet meet, and the rest is history as they say.

Of course, the film can't follow the original play exactly - this is a kids movie! It's not a tragedy, it's a comedy. This is where I expected to be let down - I honestly didn't think I would find it funny, but I'm glad to say for the most part, I found this film charming and funny. It could have been funnier, but the younger audience will love it, which is the important thing I suppose.

Shakespeare fans will have fun spotting the little references to the Bard's works (including a cleverly worked in quote from Macbeth of all plays). I did. For instance, the owner of the Blue Gnomes is Miss Montague (Romeo's family in the play), while the owner of the Red's is Mr. Capulet (Juliet's last name). The owners themselves hate each other. Spotting the celebrity voices is fun too. Michael Caine is Lord Redbrick, Maggie Smith is Lady Bluebury (I didn't notice this) - I particularly enjoyed Patrick Stewarts brief appearance as a statue of Shakespeare, with whom Gnomeo has a brief conversation. Shakespeare was a smug guy. The voices were all well cast, and the animation is of a good quality.

Complimented with a fun Elton John soundtrack (he was an executive producer, go figure), this film is enjoyable, and a good one for the kiddilinks.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun stuff for kids, more than OK for their parents
Pascal Zinken (LazySod)15 February 2011
In the beautiful British town of Stratford-Upon-Avon there's a street where the owners of two neighbouring houses have no idea of the rich lives being led in their backyards. In these backyards there are two groups of garden gnomes - one garden is ruled by the blue hatted variety, the other is ruled by the red hatted variety. An age old feud - of which the reason has long since been forgotten - is keeping them apart, but unexpected events might just be enough to get them back together again.

Loosely based on the Shakespearean tragedy Romeo And Juliet this animation film keeps the middle line between tragicomedy and romance. Like many animation films being made these last years it combines fun things for kids with fun things for adults - without hurting either group (the innuendo that is fun for adults is not seen by kids whose innocence protects them from it, the deviation from the original tales to make it fun for kids is not so warped that it makes it unrecognisable for them parents).

The animation is great - the gnomes and the gardens are just lovely to watch. The setting with gnomes is flawless - the sounds, the implications of being a garden gnome - it works out really well.

If there would be one bit of negativity for this film it is that its trailer is a bit too biased towards an audience that wants to see romance instead of a bit of light comedy.

8 out of 10 midsummer night's dreams
38 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the dumbest movies ever made
I honestly don't know why someone would think that it would be a great idea to recreate a Shakespeare play with garden gnomes, but apparently somebody in Hollywood considered that this idiotic premise would work in some way.

Well, as everyone expected, this didn't work.

Besides of the extremely idiotic premise, this movie failed to be remotely funny or interesting, and had many lame and clichéd characters. The jokes from this movies were so bad that I'm sure that even a little kid would find it boring and unfunny.

The only saving grace from this movie is the animation, which was cute and well made. Sadly, everything else was terrible.

"Gnomeo & Juliet" should have been an sketch from some comedy show instead of a real movie. If you want to see some good animation inspired by the William Shakespeare plays, see the series "Shakespeare: The Animated Tales" and skip this film.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good bit of fun!
allyson-white14 February 2011
My teenage daughter and I have just returned from seeing this film and we both enjoyed it very much. In my opinion, the film was not just aimed at children; I remember all the Elton John songs from the original!(and no, I'm NOT a die-hard fan!) The Elton John songs were used very appropriately. I particularly liked the song "Saturday night's the night for fighting" used for the drag race! It was fun to pick out the Shakespeare references; the removal firm was Rosancranz and Guildenstern, for instance. In other cases there were misquotes; for instance "a rose by any other name" - "a weed by any other name" A good bit of fun!
37 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Gnomeo & Juliet
DICK STEEL27 February 2011
The lite-version for kids, part of the fun here is the identification of the actual Romeo and Juliet references from names used right down to the incidents based upon William Shakespeare's most romantic tragedy, because it is quite ingenious of the entire team of scriptwriters (the many cooks here not spoiling the broth, thankfully) to have taken key elements and painting quite a different, uplifting film if you will, since this is after all something for the young ones to appreciate.

Taking place between garden gnomes of adjacent gardens of bickering neighbours, the Reds (Capulets) and the Blues (Montagues) have this long standing feud that will make the romance of their children Gnomeo (voiced by James McAvoy) and Juliet (Emily Blunt) quite impossible, if not for the lovers to meet in secret. Expect plenty of comedy scattered throughout, which surprisingly is more adult, so accompanying the minors will not make this one boring affair. The A-list voices will also be top draw, although animation may look a little stiff since it's modelled to perfection the porcelain clay that the gnomes are possibly made out of.

Elton John's music got touted out loud through the film's marketing machinery, but frankly they don't really stand out unlike a musical since they were mostly used in the background, nor were inventively utilized such as those in the mold of Across the Universe which had plenty of The Beatles' tunes gelled together seamlessly into the narrative.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Bard gets animated
Max_cinefilo894 March 2011
No other writer lends himself to so many different film interpretations as William Shakespeare, whose plays have spawned musicals (West Side Story), teen comedies (10 Things I Hate About You), even cartoons (though not credited as such, Hamlet is an obvious source of inspiration for The Lion King). The latter genre is used again for a peculiar take on Romeo and Juliet, put together with CGI under Disney's Touchstone banner.

The film takes place in the present day, where Montague and Capulet no longer are two warring families, but simply two next-door neighbors who just don't get along. This animosity is also found in their adjacent gardens, where the gnomes, much like the toys in Toy Story, come to life when no one's watching. The blue gnomes, led by Lady Blueberry (Maggie Smith), belong to Mrs. Montague, while Lord Redbrick (Michael Caine) and his red acolytes belong to Mr. Capulet. Their mission is to find new ways to make the enemy garden look bad, and it all goes well - so to speak - until a full-scale war erupts, and star-crossed lovers Gnomeo (James McAvoy) and Juliet (Emily Blunt) find themselves caught in the middle...

The material is an unusual choice for Disney, which traditionally favors straightforward adaptations of popular stories (albeit with necessary alterations) over postmodern riffs that combine tribute and spoof. This take on Shakespeare's tragedy would probably be better suited for a Dreamworks treatment, as they make no mystery of having older audiences in mind. Disney, on the other hand, is torn between pandering to younger viewers and giving Bard aficionados the fun yet intelligent picture they crave and deserve. Sure, there are in-jokes galore (the house numbers 2B and Not 2B are the standout), but the third act is particularly underwhelming, with too much screen-time for the mandatory talking animal sidekick (an annoying flamingo, voiced by Disney mainstay Jim Cummings) and a climax that has inevitably been altered - presumably - to keep the kids from crying.

When it works, however, Gnomeo & Juliet is an absolute joy: the opening send-up of the play's prologue set the tone quite nicely, Elton John's contribution to the soundtrack is faultless, and the voice cast is a hoot. Aside from the filmmakers having the nerve of putting Jason Statham and Ozzy Osbourne in the same film as Smith and Caine (surely a once in a lifetime kind of thing), the idea of incorporating Shakespeare himself as a character (voiced by Patrick Stewart) and having him criticize the film's plot detours is the self-mocking stroke of genius there should be more of throughout the movie.

All in all, this is a nice little film that is worth watching for entertainment value. It suffers from some lazy writing and questionable gags (shouldn't the Terrafirminator be voiced by Arnold Schwarzenegger instead of Hulk Hogan?), but it contains enough Shakespearean wit and invention to make for a fun 82 minutes.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Greatly animated, but something was missing...
I had initially heard good stuff about this animated movie, so I decided to give it a go! The story, well sure it is loosely based on the Romeo & Juliet story, but it is more than just that. There is also a bunch of comedy in the story, along with some really interesting characters.

The CGI animation looked really cool and were nicely made. Lots of really great details in the scenes and the in each characters. It was obvious that lots of efforts had been put into this.

As for the best part of the movie, well that would simply have to be the list of voice actors/actresses. Holy moly! There is such a bunch of really good names on this list, James McAvoy, Emily Blunt, Michael Caine, Jason Statham, Patrick Stewart and a bunch others. There were also some really cool cameo appearances by Hulk Hugan and Ozzy Osbourne.

That being said, then the movie was somewhat shallow. Sure it had enough entertainment value for one watching, but I doubt it highly that I will ever be watching this movie ever again. For an animation of 2011 it didn't quite reach up to the likes such as "How to Train Your Dragon", "Megamind" or "Despicable Me". The movie is beautifully made, but it just lacks something vital.

A good enough movie for an evening of entertainment, but it is about as far as it goes.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Two Jews On Gnomo & Juliet
jaxon110712 February 2011
Can two young teenagers find love despite their warring families? Well, we all know how Romeo and Juliet ended up. However in the 3D version of 'Gnomeo & Juliet' directed by Kelly Asbury, things don't turn out quite as tragic for our lovers.

'Gnomeo & Juliet' takes place in contemporary Stratford-on-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace. Miss Montague (voice of Julie Walters) and Mr. Capulet (voice of Richard Wilson) are neighbors and they absolutely hate each other.

Their respective collection of garden gnomes, the Reds and the Blues view each other with hostility as well. After Blue Gnomeo's(voice of James McAvoy) lawnmower is wrecked in a race against the Reds, he conducts a raid through the fence into Red territory. It's here that Gnoemo meets the Red Gnome Juliet (Emily Blunt) and the two of them fall madly in love. What's a couple to do when they each come from a family that hates each other? That's where the fun comes in. To the music of Elton John, we follow these star crossed lovers as they try to find a place where they can live happily ever. Helping them along the way are all kinds of wonderful creatures... including Fawn (the voice of Ozzy Osbourne) a big ceramic frog (voice of Ashley Jensen) who goes by the name of Nanette and a large pink flamingo named Benny. (voice of Matt Lucas).

This is fractured Shakespeare and it's absolutely delightful. Michael Caine plays Juliet's father, Lord Redbrick and Maggie Smith plays Gnomeo's mum, Lady Bluberry. Even Patrick Stewart makes an appearance as Shakespeare himself and Hulk Hogan plays Terrafirmenator, a gigantic killer lawnmower. Two Jews On Film gave this movie five bagels out of five.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Cute" sells this movie. Kids will love it, parents will more than like it
RileyOnFilm28 March 2011
I watched this movie today with my kids ages 3, 6, and 12. They all loved it. There were a few spots when it dragged a little but all in all the "cuteness" of these garden gnomes sold me. There is no global solution offered here just Gnomeo and Julie falling in love. A great afternoon out with your kids. I thought the animation was spectacular and the story light and fun. There are little asides here and there paying tribute to Shakespeare. It is very well-suited to have Patrick Stewart play the bard himself. It's not the best movie but the visuals and music are stunning. It will hold your kids' attention for over an hour, what more could you ask for in a movie? I am really surprised this movie hasn't received higher ratings. I saw it as an 8/10. I think this is a great one for kids and the pop culture jokes here and there will keep the parents' interest. Don't go into it expecting more or you'll be disappointed. BUT, if that is your expectation, you'll have a great time at a cute movie.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gnomeo & Juliet was a pretty entertaining computer animated feature
tavm3 March 2011
Just saw this computer-animated feature with my movie theatre-working friend and we both enjoyed it. It's basically a parody of William Shakespere's "Romeo & Juliet" tragic play without the tragedy, of course, involving gnome lawn ornaments. One family wears red hats while the other wears blue. There's also a plastic flamingo, an active ornamental mushroom, and several likewise rabbits. Like in the Toy Story movies, these creatures only move whenever no humans are around. Oh, and there's many classic Elton John songs that dominate the score to great effect like hearing "Saturday Night's All Right for Fighting" during a lawn mower race or "Your Song" when the title characters are holding hands. And wonderful voices by various celebrities like Ozzy Osbourne, Hulk Hogan, Patrick Stewart, Michael Caine, and Maggie Smith. In summary, Gnomeo & Juliet was both quite highly amusing (if not completely hilarious) and very touching (as touching as this parody is allowed to be). So on that note, that's a recommendation. Oh, and I liked the 3-D effects too.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cute
Ann9911006 March 2011
Let me start by saying this isn't my favorite genre - since I've seen so many children's animated movies - mostly against my will! While I wasn't expecting much, this movie was definitely cute and entertaining. My 5 year old daughter liked it and the rest of the kids in the theater appeared to as well. What I appreciated is that it wasn't over-done like most animated movies (so much going on it gives you a headache), it wasn't overly girlie or boyish, and it had some good Elton John songs. Appropriate references to Shakespeare, too. I'm not sure if it's because I've not been to an actual theater in so long or not - but the graphics were actually really great. A simple, cute movie and well-done.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally a happy animation
mikealike9 May 2011
This movie is simple and joyful. Starting with the story, taken from Shakespeare, which is much better that concocting an unsatisfying script just in order to be original. I like that the story is what it is, and a lot of the humour comes from playing with this idea of borrowed action and characters. Plus, the kids have a way of finding out about the original writer and play, if not by asking earlier, at least when Old Will's statue appears as a character. Then the gnomes, individualised in a successful and comic manner (honorable mention for the "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" gnome!).They are kitschy pieces of garden landscape, but still they can be nice, in a hip manner. They are mocked and sort of self-mocking themselves, as the plastic flamingo manages to do brilliantly.

And the music is absolutely super, it adds to the general atmosphere of fun. As much as I personally remain not interested in the Lady Gaga show, I could still appreciate her and Elton John's song - it sounded great.

It is a simple pleasure to watch the movie, even if in the end I wonder what made me become childish and sort of feel guilty to have liked so much a colourful and loud movie about garden gnomes. And the kids seem to love it, too.

I read a few comments that didn't do it any justice, almost avoided it because of them. But it's better that other animation of this year seen so far, for example the much praised Rio. And it's a happy movie! It's tiring that "sad streak" that maintained in the Disney movies and that was passed on to other American animations, why does anyone considers that movies for children need a tragic spot? This one plays a bit with the drama, but finally let everybody be happy.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved it.
pfgdtrecool3 March 2011
There is no way I could have loved the movie more. I am 18 and went with my 18 year old boyfriend who also enjoyed the movie. I highly suggest seeing it. I laughed a ton, and I normally don't in "kid" movies. There was plenty of references and jokes that appealed to an older audience which kept it very interesting and fun. The whole movie was creative even know it's a play off of a story we've all heard 500 times. But they do recognize that in a humorous way in the prologue. Best movie I've seen in awhile, defiantly beating out "Just Go with It." The movie was bright and delightful with a ton of great one liners and quotes that can't help but to pull even the slightest giggle from even a person with zero sense of humor. Everyone who needs a pick me up should go and see this movie, it will keep you smiling.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fun for kids and adults
maybe_ed_should_drive28 September 2011
I was pleasantly surprised watching this movie after all the bad things I heard about it. The animation was awesome, the music was awesome, and it was a very cute story. YES it was predictable but what do you expect from a movie called "Gnomeo & Juliet" an entirely original plot?! of course not, and if you didn't may I recommend to you any of these fine 36 movies http://www.IMDb.com/find? s=all&q=romeo+and+juliet

I am an adult with no children but I love animated films and Gnomeo and Juliet was a lovely surprise. Lots of jokes to keep me interested but not too dirty for kids - and of course the amazing Elton John soundtrack to keep me singing along = Fun for kids, fun for adults!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
3D Review: A horrible idea treated with a solid execution
MovieProductions9 March 2011
*** out of (****)

Talking gnomes. A parody of Romeo and Juilet. It's 3D. It's a kid's wet dream and a parent's worst nightmare. With all the money, actors, and original ideas out there, why make a movie personifying toys, and have a surcharge for a darker motion picture? Say what you will about this movie, but I liked it. For once, the jokes were funny, the film knew how to had fun, and overall, I just had a really great time. Although, I must confess, I was excited for this movie before seeing it. I knew going in what I was going to get, and I got exactly that. Let me tell you something, the idea sounds horrible on paper, but seeing as how the directors took note of that, they treated this movie with a nice direction. With a title as sublime as "Gnomeo & Juliet", I guess no one can really be disappointed. But, in the hands of a worse or even amateur director, this could've been a disaster.

First of all, the performances were nice. Both leading protagonists are charming, charismatic, and fulfill their roles. I found the characters very cute, and a lot of fun. Also, I thought the jokes weren't too bad. There's a lot to like from adults and kids alike. This film speaks to multiple demographics. Furthermore, the 3D, while darker, added a decent field of depth. It wasn't the best use of the modern technology, but not the worst. To put the cherry on top, this movie is just a lot of fun. The jokes are. The actors are. The scenery is. The whole movie is just one enjoyable ride.

Any complaints? For one, I didn't like the ending. What could have been a ballsy, Pixar- esque type ending turns into another kid's film resolution. Also, this movie isn't something you have to rush out to see. I'd say a matinée is most recommended. And, you don't HAVE to see this movie in 3D. 2D or 3D, it really won't make a difference.

All in all, Gnomeo & Juilet wasn't the worst movie I saw. In fact, it's far from it. It was a decent movie that was very entertaining. I actually might revisit it now and then.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Toy Story Rip Off? Yeah right......
Ironwarrior8626 February 2011
Looking at some of the reviews here I couldn't help noticing people comparing this to Toy Story. Toy Story while well known for living toys was not the first to explore the concept; things like Bagpuss and the secret life of toys spring to mind and both series came out before Toy Story and might I add Bagpuss came out in the 70's at least 20 years before it. People really need to get their facts right.

Ah and then we get to not being entirely faithful to Romeo and Julliet. So what; did it not occur to some of these people that it's clearly targeted for kids? The lion king was based on Hamlet and we all know it's very different from it's source material and if it can prove to be enjoyable then why not this? People really need to lighten up; like the lion king it's more less a kid friendly take on a well known Shakespeare play. If people want to be critical of this not being faithful to it's source then the lion king doesn't deserve to be successful either; the truth hurts more than a lie but someone has to say something about people constantly jabbing this for being different from the original Romeo and Julliet. I don't have anything against the lion king as I have fond memories of it from childhood but it's a wonder how it never got the same lashing for not being completely faithful to Hamlet with these sort of people around. Anyway staying on subject what odds if this isn't entirelly faithful to Romeo and Julliet there's already adaptions that exist that are completely faithful to this well known story anyway :)

This film is underrated if you ask me; it definitely succeeds in entertaining it's target audience and has a lot of good laughs on the way; my younger cousins loved it and even I laughed too; one particular scene I really liked was when Julliet said "Swim away be free" to a clay fish and then when she puts it into the water it just sinks to the bottom :) People whine far too much these days it's no wonder making a film is a lot harder than it was back then and I can't help but feel a lot of things that are considered classics would be nowhere near as successful if they were released in this day and age.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gnomeo and Juliet
Rickting18 September 2011
Here is a good reason why unless they're by Disney, Pixar or Studio Ghibli, we should just be very careful when we watch animated movies. This is Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending and garden gnomes. A delightfully bonkers idea with a great cast, so what could go wrong? A lot. The animated version of Movie 43, a whole bunch of talented likable actors (Including Maggie Smith and James McAvoy) are all embarrassed and wasted in this awful animated movie that'll have Shakespeare turning in his grave. With colourful animation and some clever moments, as well as a nice tone, this will keep the kids happy but accompanying adults will probably hate it. I'm not its target audience, but even its target audience may not like it.

The script is flat, with a series of awful jokes and instead of parodying Romeo and Juliet it repeatedly serves up tedious gnome gags and dull montages. The action sequences are boring, and the film is devoid of the eccentricity and invention suggested by its title. It's also derivative and like many modern animated movies, it just doesn't really do anything Disney didn't already do long before. While it virtually ignores the play of Romeo and Juliet, occasionally lines pop up that parody lines from the play, making an already tedious film even more excruciating. Overall, you may like it as it's just my opinion and I saw it a while back, but don't get your hopes up.

3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great family fun
Gordon-1128 May 2011
This film is about two gnomes belonging to rival groups falling in love. Can their relationship flourish against the odds? "Gnomeo & Juliet" is aimed at younger kids, so the visuals are very bright and colourful. Every scene has bright contrasting colours, and th characters are all very cute. "Gnomeo & Juliet" has a simple plot, and yet it is never boring. There is always something happening, be they adrenaline fuelled adventures (the lawnmower races are portrayed very well in the film) or heartwarming romance. There is much adventure, some comedy and no tragedy, making it a great choice for family entertainment. I did not expect myself to like "Gnomeo & Juliet", but I did enjoy it thoroughly!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a shame!
Trip Keanu10 May 2011
"Is his... big and pointy?" asked the frog. "A squirrel dropped his nuts." said Juliet. The frog added "The nuts where the size of boulders." How does this pass as entertainment for our children, I was disappointed to say the least - I guess these days pedophiles are writing the family movies. Why did I say pedophile? Simply cause the double meaning jokes are too disgusting, but mostly cause the jokes are a sick attempt to make todays children as perverted as the people who wrote Gnomeo and Juliet. If a pedophile was in your garden, talking dirty to your child, you would ask him to leave. Without the below-the-belt jokes the movie would have been okay I suppose, although I'm not a big fan garden gnomes. Furthermore, Gnomeo and Juliet is a pale copy of Toy Story, no where near as good.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Royal Shakespeare Company didn't present this one.
musanna-ahmed13 February 2011
Intro - Gnomeo and Juliet, quite clearly (judging from the title), is based on William Shakespeare's tragedy Romeo and Juliet, which focuses on two star-crossed lovers, except it doesn't stay completely faithful to the play. And it's a lot less tragic.

Act 1 – The voices of Gnomeo and Juliet consist of a popular cast mostly made up of Britons – James McAvoy as Gnomeo, Emily Blunt as Juliet, Michael Caine as Lord Redbrick, Matt Lucas as Benny, and Jason Statham as Tybalt plus the voices of Hulk Hogan, Ozzy Osborne, and Maggie Smith.

Act 2 – Also quite clearly as an animation, this film was created for a young target audience. Perhaps to give a basic understanding of Romeo and Juliet to the children if they were to ever study Shakespeare. If that was the purpose of this film, then it fails as most of its content is filled up with the content needed for a children's film instead of what was needed for an animated re-enactment. It gives a rather remote understanding of the play by occasionally sprinkling references throughout (not following it point by point), keeping the theme of rivalry between the families (represented as Reds versus Blues) and of course, by keeping some of the original names – well precisely, it only keeps two names, Juliet and Tybalt. Any viewer that already has studied Shakespeare's play in one way or another (whether having seen the 1996 film or seen a stage production) would often wonder during Gnomeo and Juliet why it took the original name almost wholly, giving the impression to all who would go into the theatre thinking that they would be in for an animated take of the revered play.

Act 3 - On the other hand, if the purpose of the filmmaking was to provide entertainment, which is what an animated film needs to satisfy its child audience, then Gnomeo and Juliet succeeds. This world powered by warring indoor and outdoor gnomes with its playful way of depicting a feud between the Montagues and the Capulets is a delight for children to watch, especially with a few belly laughs in for them. As for the adult audience, it's interesting to see that this is a unique animated twist of the story but the entertainment is limited, as the comedy is intended for the audience. The gnomes in the film come to life when out of the way of humans, like the toys did in Toy Story. This is exciting for those who enjoyed Toy Story, to see similar characters but certainly not as likable (alas), but to others it may just be considered a B grade rip-off.

The final Act - Either one of two reactions could be predicted from everyone going to see Gnomeo and Juliet. The first would be "This is broken Shakespeare" which is most likely to come from adults disappointed of the outcome (likely because of their incorrect first thoughts of the title). The second one is "Wow, I want to see that again!" which would obviously come from anyone who enjoyed it. Judging from the reactions of the children in the same theatre, the latter reaction is the more likely one, and in that case Gnomeo and Juliet is actually a good film for the kids, which is honestly what it intended to be.

Verdict: It isn't really Shakespeare, but does the young target audience care if it isn't?
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this