Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) Poster

1,127 Reviews
Everything is going downhill
mistoppi18 October 2016
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the first Harry Potter movie directed by David Yates. Some fans love Yates and his different style, but there are people who don't like him, myself included. Sure, he's the one responsible for my favourite half of the series, where Harry is growing up and everything is darker. But in the movies the characters aren't as deep and the darkness feels more like a colour scheme than a change in the story telling.

Yates's style chooses action over the story - which makes no sense when considering what the novel was like. Order of the Phoenix had very little action, but it explored wonderfully, for example, Harry after seeing Voldemort returning and seeing Cedric Diggory being brutally murdered. In the movie you can see it bothers Harry, he is incredibly angry, but that's that. If you haven't read the book it only seems like Harry is having his puberty and therefore a bit moody, even if you could claim he has a case of PTSD.

There are many emotional scenes in the novel that weren't included in the movie. They were completely forgotten or replaced by something really, really weird, apart from few that were important to the plot - they saved the scenes that were important when looking at this one movie, but ignored the story as a whole, and they seemed to figure character development was not that important. Harry Potter series is not seven separate stories it's one story in seven parts.

At this point it's clear the filmmakers didn't care about the story as much as making the movies and making fans watch them and just get through the whole series.

But it's lovely to see the film allowing few characters develop properly: like Neville during the DA. They tried to fake Ginny developing as well by only showing us that she is indeed amazing with spells. Still the filmmakers have forgotten to give her any sort of personality. I love her in the books but in movies she's just an empty husk - skillful of course, but she's not as interesting as in the books. ' Order of Phoenix is over-simplified and is trying to force a story into a film form in the easiest way possible. Yes, sure, they didn't have so much time to focus on the stories individually considering the stars were growing up but still, this is ridiculous.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie, yet completely surpassed by the book
java598911 July 2007
When I first walked into the movie, my expectations were not very high. The first two movies, I thought, were the best of the series mainly due to Richard Harris' dead-on portrayal of Dumbledore and screenplays that closely followed the original books. Though the third and fourth movies were very artistic and dramatic, I couldn't really connect to them in the way i had with the books. They glossed over many of the little things that made the Harry Potter series so magical in the first place, focusing on a select few plot lines and limiting dialog to only what was necessary to further the story.

As a result they've felt more like a collage of scenes, a series of puzzle pieces, thrown at the viewers faster than they can piece together, just leading up to a final confrontation. Pacing has certainly been an issue, leaving fans feeling disjointed, and those new to the series confused as to what exactly is going on. In this respect, Order of the Phoenix was very similar to the previous two movies. As a Hollywood film, it deserves praise, bringing this amazing world to the big screen, telling a compelling tale, and keeping the viewers glued to their seats for the duration of the movie. However, to the die hard fans of the books, you will undoubtedly be disappointed.

Many scenes that one would think invaluable to the story have been cut, replaced by the hasty filling in of plot holes. And while it pains me to ignore some of my favorite scenes from the book being left on the cutting room floor (St. Mungo's, Harry's Quibbler interview, the Quidditch fight, etc.), I realize that yes, not everything could be included in the movie. But in this watered down version of the book, there seems to be something missing. We still have all the drama and excitement, but some of the magic just seems to be gone.

Aside from Evanna (couldn't have made a more perfect Luna), the kids give simply average performances, never really reaching the full potential put forth by JK Rowling's writing. The same goes for Gambon, who seems to have ignored the calm, all knowing, endearing idea of who Dumbledore is, in favor of a more erratic yet powerful headmaster. Sure, this works well in the more dramatic scenes (specifically the final battle), but otherwise, his performance falls flat, lacking the eye twinkling charm we came to love from the late Richard Harris. Thankfully, Imelda Staunton more than makes up for this in an amazing portrayal of Dolores Umbridge, one of the more fully realized characters of the movie. As for the rest of the cast, it's largely hit or miss, determined by how each scene is written.

Overall, I would certainly recommend the movie for everyone, fan or not, as it really was a well made movie, despite a few wooden actors and some bad dialog. But when looking at the books, one really can't help but think how much more potential this movie could've had.
576 out of 828 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply Put...Phenomenal (A Book-Reader's Review)
inzirilloc11 July 2007
OK. Yes stuff was left out. Yes some things were inaccurate. And yes, at times the story jumped around. But I'll tell you what, if that's the price to pay for being able to see fantastic literature on the big-screen...I'll take a few inconsistencies any day.

For having the task of taking 870 masterful pages and turning them into a 2.5 hour movie, David Yates did one heck of a job. This movie is a must-see, no matter how you look at it. For book-readers, sure you notice the absence of certain parts, but you finally get to see what you've imagined in your head for years take place in real-live motion on the screen…and you know what, those few things left out, help you gain a better understanding anyway, because you have already read the in-between stuff. Then, in the same breath, this is a great movie for non-book-readers as well. For those HP fans who take the lighter approach of skipping the books and simply following along by the movies…you won't know what you're missing anyway. The biggest complaints about this movie will be from book-readers who wanted a 10-hour long, word-for-word re-creation of the book. Other than that, there is nothing to complain about. Acting was great, story-line was great, and the special effects were flawless.

(Slight Spoiler In This Paragraph) Being a book-reader, I knew heading in that I would have to be prepared to accept substantial cuts from all that takes place in the book. However, the parts that Yates chose to focus on, were by far, the most important ones; and the way in which he did it, left me speechless. Yates was clearly at his best at the movie's climactic ending. When reading those last few chapters, when Harry is at the Ministry, and there is the great battle, the book reads like a whirlwind. Everything is happening at once: death-eaters here, death-eaters there, Sirius finally getting the chance to fight, Moody kicking ass, Ginny going on a tear and straight-up owning people. And you try to picture in your head what all this would look like…a million things going on at once, and trying to picture how wizards and witches really "fight" each other. Somehow, someway, Yates was able to create that fast-paced, action-packed, confusion, and then all of a sudden, like an orchestra going flat after their last booming note, Sirius Black is gone…just like in the book. This was the hardest part for me to swallow when reading the book, as tears ran down my cheeks, not only because Sirius was my favorite character, but because you go from such a "high" of seeing the Order save the day, to the unbelievable "low" of seeing Harry's godfather simply fade away. This is an emotion and thought process which was excellently portrayed in the film. Ironically enough, Yates was only warming up.

As for the Dumbledore/Voldemort showdown, I don't think that it could have been done better. In a Star Wars type fashion, Harry is being tempted by Voldemort to release his anger, to have his revenge on Bellatrix Lestrange, to have a taste of the dark side. And as we sit there fearing for confused, helpless Harry, we see a green fire of hope, and more like Master Yoda than any other fictional character, Albus Dumbledore appears and engages Voldemort in a wizard-duel that puts Gandalf and Sarumon to shame.

The way the movie engaged the audience and got their emotion kicking is a great film-making talent not found in many movies anymore. Think of the way Yates made you HATE Umbridge, just like the book. The way you felt bad for Snape when you saw his hidden past, just like the book. And think of the best two lines of the movie where you felt comfort, confidence, and safety on Harry's part. The first of these lines was Sirius Black to Lucius Malfoy: when the death-eaters are over-whelming the kids, Sirius appears behind Lucius with a firm, "get away from my godson." Then once again, when Harry is alone with Voldemort, Dumbledore appears and almost as if to initiate the duel, says, "It was a mistake for you to come here tonight, Tom." Overall, the movie was fantastic. The best of the five…by far. You just have to put aside the gaping holes of chapters that were left out, and look at what was done well. For the book-readers, imagine if you were forced to take only 400 of the 870 pages out of the book…you would take the most important ones that relate to the plot. So as much as the "prefect storyline" and the "Harry/Cho drama" and all that other stuff is a great read, the big screen simply doesn't allow enough time for it. As for the non-book-readers…pick up the books and get busy. Because as great as a job that Yates did with the movie…the woman he got the story from, Ms. Rowling, might just be one of the greatest authors of our time.

Now go spend 10 bucks and enjoy the show!
526 out of 803 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Order of the Plot-Holes
PropTart7712 July 2007
For those of you looking for a faithful adaptation of Order of the Phoenix, this film isn't it. How director David Yates got the go to direct completely baffles me. Not since Chris Columbus' stilted pacing has a HP film disappointed me. I realize that in a book as rich in detail as the HP series something is bound to be left out in the film version, but the direction and editing of this film leave much to be desired.

The film opens in Little Whinging with the dementor attack on Harry and Dudley. Mrs. Figg happens across the boys as if by accident just after Harry defeats the Dementors with his Patronus, but is never "outed" as a squib. The Dursleys were more worried than horrified, and never threatened Harry with expulsion from their house. The sheer vileness that audiences last saw in Prisoner of Azkaban was notable absent, leaving the view to wonder what happened to bring us the weak and whimpering version of the Dursleys that appears in this film.

When Harry is brought to the Order's headquarters, very little is made of the fact that the Noble House of Black was once a bastion of pure-blood fanaticism. Kreature makes a very weak appearance, and the simple existence of Regulus Black (R.A.B.?) was never even touched upon.

Fred and George remain the comic relief, but the ever developing character of Ginny Weasley is ignored. Even more upsetting was the notable absence of Mrs. Weasly's growing concern for her family's safety. I thought that one of the most touching moments in the book was the chapter in which Mrs. Weasly attempts of banish the boggart only to have it continually morph into the horrifying visages of various dead loved ones. Bill and Charlie were also not mentioned, leaving the viewer to wonder if the film franchise plans to reduce the Weasly family from 9 to 7.

As excited as I was with the casting of Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge, I felt that Yate simply did not do her justice. Yes she was vile, but not in the bureaucratic evil way Rowling depicted her in the novel. She simpered, but I just did not get the feeling that she took malicious pleasure that she should have in what she did as the High Inquisitor.

The rumored St. Mungo's scene, while it may have been filmed, was disappointingly absent, with the film jumping from Mr. Weasly's attack in the ministry (although why he was in the Deapartment of Mysteries was never addressed) to Christmas dinner at the HQ and a lame "Here's Daddy!" from Mrs. Weasly.

Even more disappointing was the depiction of the Department of Mysteries. I entered the movie hoping for some wicked effects and bizarre magical elements, and was left with just the Hall of Prophesies and the mysterious doorway. To add insult to injury, the relationship between Sirius and Harry was never developed to the point where Harry would naturally feel devastated by the loss of his godfather. I felt as though their relationship was more vague friend of the family then Harry beginning to look to Sirius as a surrogate father figure.

Over all the continuity of the film felt too rushed and disjointed, as opposed to the more fluid Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of fire. Relationships between the characters felt forced, which I found odd, considering the fact that the cast has been working together for 7 years or so. If any of my personal suspicions and predictions for the future of Harry are accurate, this film has left out numerous key elements. That being the case, then films 6 and 7 will have to scramble to make up for what this film lacks. As Yates is slated to direct the next installment, I can only look to it with a feeling of dread, wondering how he will mangle the Half-Blood Prince.
116 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who ruined Harry Potter?
fraserstewart1 August 2007
I have read and enjoyed all 7 Harry potter novels, and I watched and enjoyed the first 2 films, Azkaban and GOF were OK but not good. This however was awful, and when I say awful I really mean awful. I was genuinely on the verge of walking out of the theatre after about 30 minutes, the only reason I sat through this was because of my wife.

I will say that Dolores Umbridge and Sirius Black were really good. Harry Potter however was dreadful. Daniel Radcliffe seems to have forgotten how to act on his way through puberty. I mean he was excellent in the first two films so why was this so awful? He spent two hours literally panting and moaning, it was like he had been told to tense every muscle in his whole body and stay like that for every scene.

Then there was Dumbledore and trust me Michael Gambon cannot do Dumbledore. After Trelawny is fired and he tells Umbridge quite calmly that she can stay in the castle he then proceeds to shout at the students, "Don't you all have studying to do?", that was one of my biggest wtf moments.

Percy doesn't speak at all, and Malfoy has literally one line in the whole film. How about explaining that Umbridge was the one who set the Dementors on Harry in the first place, and then they actually changed how the Dementors looked, I mean film 3 got it spot on. Then there was just ridiculous stuff like a Dementor strangling Harry, so he stabs it in the eye with his wand? Then there was Fred and George leaving Hogwarts, the whole reason that they caused a big scene and commotion was so that Harry could use Umbridges fire in her office and find out about Sirius. How about Kreacher lying to Harry? How about revealing that Snape DID go and find out about Sirius and was merely pretending to be ignorant to Umbridge? My biggest disappointment however by far was the end fight scene's between the death eaters and the Order of the Phoenix, in particular Dumbledore and Voldemort. Bellatrix does not kill Sirius with the Avada Kedavra curse, she stuns him into one of those weird curtained doors, and then he disappears. The fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort was basically a giant light show where the cgi people were probably told "Go to town, let your imagination run wild".

How about Dumbledore taunting Voldemort by calling him Tom all the time, and avoiding his killing curses rather than fighting back? How about Dumbledore being shown to be far more powerful than Riddle and choosing for reasons that I can't remember now not to kill him? The other thing about Dumbledore as well is that he appears to dissaparate from Hogwarts which Hermione says repeatedly throughout the books is not possible.

I probably haven't covered everything, but these films definitely went downhill big time after Chamber of Secrets. You leave the cinema feeling like all you saw was lots of clips strung together, and that loads of things were missing, and it all happened in a massive rush, you don't get that sense of satisfaction that you should get after watching a good film. Whether you've read the book or not, I would say avoid at all costs, and if you haven't read the book, then buy the book and read it, it will give you infinitely more pleasure that the torture you have to suffer to watch this film.
87 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge disappointment for fans and newcomers alike
sebfar14 July 2007
I simply do not understand how anyone could have enjoyed this movie. As a standalone work without reference to the book it was dull, yet glitzy, incomprehensible drivel. It became almost impossible for someone who had not read the texts to understand a thing, especially for one who had not before seen the films. Many characters were never introduced and there was no significant character development nor was there real motivation for actions given.

-Some spoilers here, but not substantial ones for the book reader-

For the book reader the film was one disappointment or incongruity after another. Many completely unnecessary changes were made, some with no real impact (eg Harry never seeing Snape's past in the pensieve; rather, only after using the Protego charm), as well as some causing mild damage. An example of this would be using Cho as a leak for the DA and omitting her friend, hardly an improvement since the extra character could not have been less developed than Cho. Further, the idea of Umbridge having used Veritaserum to coerce Cho removes any justification for Harry's continued dislike of her, in the coming films.

A third type of change was simply ridiculous, namely those pandering to senseless cliché. The idea of Voldemort attempting to convince Harry to use the Cruciatus curse on Belatrix, releasing his anger, hearkened far too strongly to Star Wars to be a valuable addition. One half expected Voldemort to announce that Harry was his son!

-End of spoiler content-

All in all the title is interesting neither for its merit as a film in and of itself nor as a transliteration of the novels; rather, it is a cheap and senseless attempt to cash in on a franchise being worn to dust by over-commercialisation.
42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Short, Too Little, TOO LATE!
itamtodd12 July 2007
THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!! CAUTION!!!

Fist off I must admit that I have watched the previous movies too many times to count… Since I watched the last movie I have read the books (I had not read them before this movie). This book was the turning point for me in the whole Harry Potter series. In my opinion the story goes from good to excellent in OOTP. With that said, I had some pretty big expectations for this movie, some of which where realized.

The high points of the movie where seeing the fruition of some of the more lovable elements of the book such as Weasley's Wheezes, Tonks, Askaban, Kretcher, and the OOTP Head Quarters. It was fun to see the characters but it was hard to see such main characters like Tonks totally be ignored by the story. I mean I had such hope when she was pulling faces at the dinner table then after that, nothing.

The movie really just cut too many corners to the point that it did not look as amazing as it could have been. I mean the ministry of magic looked like a hallway and that's it, Sirius' family apparently lived in the connect-a-house projects, and Cho was border line illiterate! I don't think that movies have to follow the books exactly, for example, I think Lord of the Rings did an awesome job at condensing one of the most complex and awesome stories of our time into 12hrs of movie. But the movies do have to make sense.

I asked my wife after the movie (she has not read any HP books) if it made sense (because he continuity and back-story of the movie was not easy to follow for me) and she said yes. I just worry that the movies are so out of control at this point that peeves, Hermione & Ron's Prefect Status, Percy going bad, Quidditch, the Dursley's, Trelawny, etc… All those stories are now so corrupted and twisted by screen writes and directors that they can not (in my imagination) be reasonably recovered.

My Suggestions:

1. If your going to make us wait two years between movies at least put in enough film to cover the subject. Why not do a 2 part (or dare I say 3) part movie. If you need help spending your production time wisely see Peter Jackson. (Really I know that this would never happen, but hey) 2. Try and get the story back on track. Some how. 3. Lets see the actors! (Really Lupin, Snape, Hagrid, McGonagall, did you have another gig? Were where they?
48 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never been so disappointed in my life
braniac3311 July 2007
Yates, be ashamed. Goldenberg, be ashamed. This is the worst HP movie a die hard fan had to sit through. To start off, just because the movie is an adaptation of the book does not mean it should leave out entire story lines, change others, and expose only those that will glitter and impress those who have not read the book. Lord of the Rings... ring a bell, followers of the book... did it stray as much from the books as OOTP did? Now for serious talk, whoever decided that Grawp should look like a 20' middle-aged man with Down's Syndrome should be tortured for the rest of their life. Not only did Grawp look slow, but behaved, moved, and got the audience's sympathy NOT how the book describes him at all. And how about entire chunks of the book thrown away for a cheap (but likely profitable) movie? How about being 3/4 through the book in 60 minutes? How about Kreacher, 2 scenes? How about Sirius' mother's portrait? How about Quidditch? How about the Patronus charm being "very advanced magic" yet the director felt every character needed an animal? How about classes, wizard clothing, Diagon Alley... is Hogwart's set in London now for some reason? How about Harry is the only one that does lines in Umbridge's office (so as to isolate him further from his friends in his loneliness)? How about Firenze taking over Divination, showing that it is not a lost art and course? How about Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, the twins' decision making, the money Harry gave them to open up their shop? How about knowing the names of the escaped convicts, was it going to cost too much to PRINT 10 names of the villains who are in the finale on the Prophet? I realize this is a film "based" on the book, but to be able to say that the movie should reflect at least 50% of the book, if the craptacular disappointment duo of Yates/Goldenberg sign on for Half Blood Prince, I hope I am not alone in wishing them to buy a few extra letter openers for the "angry" mail they will certainly receive. If another duo appears, my advice is to stick to the book, even Mel Gibson did that...

To Ms. J.K. Rowling, I sincerely hope you did not have the final decision on the final cut of this film... it utterly destroys the imagery/ plot you so carefully grew and pruned in the minds of innumerable people, young and old.
139 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Separate the film from the book, and you will be impressed
juliebug0411 July 2007
I actually was lucky enough to see this at a sneak preview on Monday. The "experience" was lousy, but the film was good...IF you take it as a separate entity from the series of books. If you separate the film from the book, you won't be disappointed.

For the negative...there were, of course, MANY things that were omitted from the film. As a huge fan of the books, I still must be realistic. I knew there would be a lot of information left out. There were a few things that I felt could have made the story richer if they had been included, but I won't go into detail so I don't give away any of the film's changes. There were a few changes that made me frown at times, but as the story played out, it did make the film flow well. One of their worst casting decisions, Michael Gambon, was actually tolerable in this one, for the most part. I am NOT a fan of his portrayal of Dumbledore, but I guess he worked for this film simply because, for the majority of the story, he is supposed to be acting somewhat aloof towards Harry. That worked for him. I miss the subtlety that Richard Harris brought to that role, and, while he wasn't dreadful in this one, I still believe that there are countless other well known actors in the UK that could have done this role better justice. There wasn't enough Molly or Hagrid for me though. I love both of those characters.

On a positive note, the special effects were very well done. The thestrals were marvelous--eerie, but strangely peaceful creatures. Evanna Lynch could not have been more spot on as Luna. Her voice, mannerisms and demeanor were amazing. My only complaint about her was that she wasn't on screen enough. :o) Imelda Staunton, as Umbridge, and Helena Bonham Carter, as Bella, have to be two of the BEST casting decisions that they have with regard to these films. They were SO incredible. I was actually quite impressed with Dan, Rupert and Emma as well. They have come quite far in their acting abilities. They have finally achieved the art of saying a lot without necessarily opening their mouths. The scene in the common room following the kiss between Harry and Cho was hysterical. Kreacher and Grawp were great additions to the films. Fred and George's exit was very well done, albeit slightly different. The film, if taken by itself, was really good. Unfortunately, it's a lot different from the book. But, as I'm doing a film review and not a comparison, I'll give it 8 out of 10, because I was highly entertained.

Our "sneak preview" was interrupted in the middle due to a problem with the film, and I think we still missed some of it. We lined up 3 hours before the movie was supposed to begin, it started late, it was interrupted in the middle for over 30 minutes, we were wanded for metal and electronics every time we went in or out...I think we'll just wait until opening week next time. It's crowded, but a lot less trouble.

We are actually going to see it again.
244 out of 392 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We were so disappointed!
boomboom-711 July 2007
Our family waited for six hours to get in to see this film at the midnight showing and wish we had gotten a good night sleep instead! I am only grateful that we weren't stupid enough to wait until the 3:15 am showing in 3D! So much was missing from the film that it hardly made sense to the members of our family who have not read the book and those of us that have read it were upset about what was missing and angry about what had been shoved together.

It annoys us when one scene after another makes you think, "that's all wrong!" instead of feeling good about it.

The scene with the fireworks was fun, but nothing like the book and the scene with the swamp is completely missing! Those were two parts I was really looking forward to.

I could go on and on with all the things that just didn't play out right.

What horrifies me is the fact that they have already filmed the next one and what have they done to that one? Can no one step in and stop these idiots from ruining another Harry Potter film?
74 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Playtimes over
chimera-420 July 2007
Within the first 5 minutes you can tell the series has undergone a dramatic tone shift and I have to say I think thats appropriate since Voldemorts return at the end of Goblet of Fire means that it's time to put aside childish things. The big bad men are here and they don't care about hurting children. it's time to get nasty.

Gone is the frivolity of the first couple of movies where magic was cool and everything in this new and magical world was just wonderful to behold, a la World of Disney. The new director has taken some risks with style and approach and they've paid off brilliantly. Order of the Phoenix is probably the darkest of the five movies we've had so far, even more so than Azkhaban which was a step in the right direction for where the series would eventually be heading. There's very little "fun" in Phoenix and you can see why. The Dark Lord is back, it's no laughing matter and this movie actually sells that fact.

This (in the movie world at least) is where Harry Potter crosses the line from kids movie to grown ups movie.

Harry now has some serious mental scars (as well as his actual one of course) since the events of the previous movie which while lighter than Azkhaban, followed on well from that movie. The Ministry of Magic is in denial about Voldermorts return and are trying to control the flow of rumour stemming from the events of Goblet. To this end we have new teacher and Ministry stooge Dolores Umbridge. Pink and fluffy on the outside, crunchy and evil on the inside. She makes no qualms about re-ordering the law at Hogwarts putting the kybosh on anything even remotely fun and making the students lives a complete misery. What she put Harry through in detention was simply pure evil.

She wasn't quite how I pictured her from the book but Imelda Staunton played her with a deliciously bitter/sweet twist, all charming and proper in her righteous delusions with that "stab you in the back" thing going on. She was a nasty piece of work.

It is a shame that a lot of the content of the book was missing but it was a big book and although I can't put my finger on what wasn't in the movie (I read it a while ago now) it does sometimes feel that there should have more substance to a few areas, mainly the characterisation of some of the characters. Most of the major bits I remember from the book were in the movie. There's a pace here we haven't seen before, a new musical approach also puts a new twist on things and I think Harry Potters world seems to fit it's new clothes well. I'm eagerly anticipating what's next as I hear David Yates is also directing the Half Blood Prince (last I heard anyway) and since that book has zombies in it I think the new dark style will suit it awesomely thank you very much.

The characters all look much older than they're supposed to be in Phoenix but it also kind of works in it's favour. They all look like they have a bit more history and life experience behind them, they're coping with stuff that will age any kid and it shows. That's also testament to the acting as well. Here mostly all the acting is pretty good, Ron Harry and Hermione all put in good efforts obviously having gotten the hang of the whole acting lark. Gambon is good as Dumbledore but I do miss Richard Harris and keep playing what might have been his versions of Gambons scenes over in my head. When I read the books it's Harris I'm picturing. Helena Bonham Carter gives a kooky insane kind of air to Bellatrix Lestrange (must get that from hubby Tim Burton) who was a pretty good character. One thing about this film though is that the actual Order of the Phoenix isn't in it all that much really. A flaw that wasn't in the book. The line about Snape being in the order, if you missed it you wouldn't even know he was in the order at all and a subsequent scene later on might seem confusing.

Kreacher was well done I though, coming across as a real miserable old bugger which was appropriate. The producers apparently weren't going to put him in the movie at all but JK Rowling said they'd be stuffing themselves up for the final movie if they did that.

All in all I think Phoenix is the best so far of the five movies, followed by Azkhaban, Goblet, then the other two in no particular order.

Now I've just got hold of The Deathly Hallows and although it's quarter past five I'm off to bed so see you later....
85 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Riddikulus
whoisdamascus11 July 2007
I feel cheated. I really do. Too much omitted this time.

WARNING: DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE or READ THE BOOK.

Firstly, Harry stabbed the dementor in the eye with his wand! What?! Secondly, did anyone find Kingsley Shacklebolt's hat mildly unnecessary? Just asking. Then, there's the complete omission of Hermoine's and Ron's elevation to prefect, AND of Harry becoming captain of the Quidditch team. In fact, there was no Quidditch at all. Frowny faces abound. They skipped the visit to St. Mungo's, and it would've been funny to see Gilderoy Lockhart again. It also seemed like the Weasley brothers' grand exit was stolen from them. The fireworks were cool, but there was none of the flair, there was no speech, and there was (yet again) no Peeves. Sad times. And then, despite all these omissions, they find time to have a scene of everyone from the DA in detention writing lines with blood-ink quills, which never even happens in the book. Booo. However, through all this, there was one glimmer of hope: The fight in the Ministry. "The battle at the Ministry will make it all better," I said to myself. Not so! I mean, sure, it was good looking, but the entire Hall of Prophecy collapsing? Surely the shelves in that kind of room are sturdier than that. The distinct lack of almost ALL of the Department of Mysteries? Where was the brain room? Where was the hummingbird in the hourglass? And most importantly, where was the prophecy?! We get a snippet of it, but it comes out before the thing even breaks. And now we come to the saddest part: Sirius's death. (I told you, you shouldn't be reading if you haven't seen/read it already.) It was definitely as sad as it should've been, but it wasn't nearly as abrupt as it was in the book. It's shocking because of its suddenness. It becomes more real that way; it shocks the reader as much as it does Harry. It just didn't seem jarring enough. Also, the young wizards were casting nonverbally, which will (presumably) create confusion when Harry duels Snape in Half-Blood Prince. Oh, and the Priori Incantatum thing with Voldemort and Dumbledore? What?

I will say that Umbridge and Bellatrix Lestrange were perfect for their roles, and the thestrals were very cool. The acting was all extremely well done, the content just left a lot to be desired.

But what do I know? It's hard to write movies. I just wish the film has included more of the important, meaningful content.
247 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow Down!
karolyn_with_a_k12 July 2007
I love the Harry Potter books, and I've always liked the movies. That's why I was very excited to go see the latest installment of the series. However the movie did not at all live up to my expectations; to me it felt rushed and choppy. I realize that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was a very long book, but so was The Goblet of Fire and I enjoyed it's movie adaptation a lot. In this movie seemed as though the director merely had a check list of scenes that he needed to but in the movie put no thought into connecting them. The speed and choppiness of the movie took away from the characters. It was just events and there was hardly any character development at all. Which was a shame because the young cast continues to get better, and there were some amazing acting veterans (Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter etc.) In my opinion if the director had slowed everything down, only a little, he could've added a lot more (character development, humor, fluidity) However, despite by prier comments, the movie was not terrible. It did have it's good moments, but I think it could have been done a lot better.
310 out of 527 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Order of the Phoenix is about the Real World
writinginfaith15 July 2007
Why do Harry Potter movies give me, but not the children, nightmares? I've been wondering this for the past few years. Today, watching Movie No. 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros., 2007), I got my answer. Simply: Harry's world is the real world. As Harry and his friends mature, the line between the world of wizardry, magic, and Hogwarts and the world of self-centered, manipulative, cruel adults thins to the point of almost magical invisibility.

Fantasy literature has since the beginning of time been about mediating and making sense of the real world; Harry Potter is part of this tradition.

Indeed, one of the movie's first big special effects embodies this idea. As the movie opens, Harry is the subject of a smear campaign that Valdemore has cooked up because darkness works tirelessly to triumph over the light; when his friends come to rescue him from the suburban horror show known as his adoptive family, they take him to the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, a place that doesn't exist until a row of Georgian homes stretches out to reveal it. It's there, but the neighbors are unaware of it. They have no idea their building grew a house that the wizards and witches of the world can solve an internal problem. Such is life; how seldom do we know the inner workings, the coping mechanisms, the interior life of the people around us? In The Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter again does battle with evil to bring home the theme that when you fight, you fight well with and for your friends and to the death if necessary. Truth and goodness--call if love, if you want--are worth the trouble. The Gothic idiom of Harry Potter brilliantly takes the challenges Harry faces out of the present on one level even though these are very clearly 21st century characters facing contemporary challenges. Alongside the power of goodness over evil theme is the theme of the power of the imagination to find solutions to problems that are the same in every generation: politics, power games, jealousy, stupidity, growing up.

Always in Harry Potter is the clear distinction between the good guys and the bad ones right alongside the good kids and the annoying kids, who could very well become evil people if they so choose. They are tragic because they don't understand the long-range consequences of their petty cruelties--but then, as we learn in this movie, even the good kids are capable of petty cruelties that break souls. Always there is Snape, the middling Hogwarts employee who is not clearly good but not clearly bad but capable of both (until fate forces his hand in Book 6).

J.K. Rowling doesn't let anybody off of the hook of responsibility for their choices. But she does present the internal struggle for goodness and justice for the mess that it can be. Just as the Gothic world of Hogwarts helps Harry and his friends mediate the real world, so Rowling helps her readers see the world for what it is. This is a world that can give me nightmares, though not my daughter and my nephews. Perhaps because all they really need is an honest story.
36 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over hyped rubbish... I'm going to watch paint dry...
smithyrc3011 July 2007
Well I just saw OotP, and the only actors I would keep would be Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham-Carter, Gary Oldman, George Harris, Brendan Gleeson, David Thewlis and Alan Rickman.

The rest just plain sucked.

Daniel Radcliffe had better buck his ideas up if he thinks that acting is a career. Wooden just wasn't the word. In the book you can sense his anger, frustration and pain. The only pain I sensed was having to put up with another scene with him in. As an example his line 'Get behind me' sounded more as if he was standing in a lunch queue at school. Where oh where had his feelings for Sirius gone? By the time he was getting on the train to go home it was like he had never even met him. Weird. He will be the next Mark Hamill or Macauly Culkin. No talent.

As for Emma Watson, well she managed to deliver the lines but that was about it. Where was the feeling and understanding when she describes how Cho was feeling to Harry and Ron? It came across so well in the book, she managed to make it really dull and uninteresting. Radcliffe's response of 'wet' was hurried and forced out as though lunch had just been called and he wanted to be first in the queue.

Rupert Grint actually has started to show a bit of character, but was given too little to do. I think the only thing he really mucked up was the 'Who are you? and what have you done with Hermione Granger?' line. Having said that the response from Emma Watson was limp. Mind you he was the pick of the 'students'.

Matthew Lewis as Neville will never get a job outside this franchise on the strength of that performance. The Phelps twins were OK but again had too little to do. Same for Evanna Lynch. She looked like she knew something about acting and was actually believable as Luna, but she had far too little to work with.

Ralph Fiennes was as malevolent as a tea cup, and Imelda Staunton was about as frightening as wet paint.

Michael Gambon sucks as Dumbldore, he has never had the quiet calm that comes over in the books. He would be better as the sorting hat.

Natalia Tena needed more lines..... She never had a chance with the material she was given, and seemed to be there because she was in the book and to give the CGi guys some more chances to show off. More pointless window dressing.

Maggie Smith had an indifferent outing as McGonnagall. I've come to expect better of her.

As did Robbie Coltrane. He never came across as Hagrid like the first films, but he must have had ooh, nearly five minutes on screen.

Richard Leaf was just plain rubbish as Dawlish. He looked like a used car salesman. I was fully expecting him to try and sell Dumbledore a used Ford. I know he had hardly any screen time, but.....

As for Grawp, I thought I had gone into Shrek the third by mistake. Where did the ugly, brutal giant go? I half expected Donkey or Princess Fiona to appear...

There was much talk of the film being darker. Well darker sets would have covered it, the characters were as frothy as ever, hardly ever showing any of the strain that is apparent in the books.

Except for David Thewlis, he looked excellent as the haggard Lupin and performed his 'down at heal' role very well.

Alan Rickman shone out again as Severus Snape, except they had cut out some of his better lines from the book.

Gary Oldman was better than I expected, but could have done with more screen time. He never got to show brooding Sirius, nor did he get his best one liner either. 'Come on cousin, you can do better than that!' Jason Isaacs again led from the front, he is the very epitome of the elder Malfoy, and exudes a sinister feel that makes his character very believable. He should have been given the Lord Voldemort part. I could actually believe I was going to die if he was Lord Voldemort. Ralph Fiennes, well I think I just ordered a Latte didn't I? First time performers Helena Bonham-Carter was exceptional, but again needed more screen time.

George Harris was excellent as Shackbolt, he had confidence and presence, something that so many lacked. His costume and manner were perfect, and his voice, just brilliant.

Brendan Gleeson again impressed me with his over the top Moody. He seems just as bonkers as the character in the book.

Overall the film was less than impressive, if that is the best David Yates can do he should not take the next film.

I try to go to the movies at least twice a week. This was one of those films where I found myself looking at my watch halfway through thinking is it nearly over yet? I would have to say one to one and a half stars at best. Over-hyped, and now full of overpaid teenagers who just cannot act. You could excuse the first two or maybe three films, but now they really should be starting to show some craft and talent.
75 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why change the book ?
jenn-dipardo12 July 2007
First of all, i want to comment on the high points of the movie. I think the acting was great, the characters looked great, and the way they played out their parts were great. I like how Bellatrix looked and acted, it really gave you the feel for the type of character she is. On another note, the parts they cut out were parts most people were probably excited for. The circular room not being there? Honestly, why cut out one of the most interesting parts of the movie? The brain room, and the other rooms were important keys to the excitement of the movie. Also the fact that none of the children were hurt like in the book was a little overrated. Yes, this is a child's movie, but including an unconscious Hermione, Neville's broken nose, Ron being attacked by the brains and Ginny's broken ankle wouldn't have been too disgusting. Also the fight at the end between Dumbledore and Voldemort was cheap because it did not happen like it should have in the book. Neville and Harry should have been the only people in the veil room when the Death eaters were threatening for the prophecy and Bellatrix didn't even use Crucio on Neville like she does in the book to get the prophecy. The prophecy wasn't supposed to be heard till the 6th book. It was supposed to say the prophecy when it breaks. Siruis' death went way too fast, Harry didn't even mourn it. And what was up with the absence of the two way mirrors? That was such an emotional, important part of the story. Knowing that if he would have used the mirror instead of rushing out. Why was there no Marietta? In the book Cho never told, Hermione jinxed the list to put boils on the persons face. There was no dating between Harry and Cho. There was no DA coins to tell of the meetings. How are they going to do the 6th movie where Malfoy says "i used Grangers idea with the coin, like the DA used to talk with the death eaters without being intercepted" if there was no coins! And Harry breaking into Snapes mind instead of dipping his head into the penseive was stupid. Not to mention they cut the memory way too short. And didn't even have Lily stick up for him. It was cheap.

They changed too many things, it made the movie not worth buying. They had at LEAST an hour of time left to add things in. I would have rather have sat there for another hour, for a more detailed movie. They jumped around too much. Not only that, they need to keep ONE director, instead of switching like every movie.

Thanks, Jenn
64 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Huge Disappointment
JamMcnight911 July 2007
When I first saw the previews for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I was giddy because i actually thought that OOTP would be magical, amazing, and action-packed. How ignorant i was. Now i know it is a 870 page book but if a fantasy movie based on a book is going to be done right, it calls for a longer movie or the possibility of doing a part two. Trying to cram all this information in two hours makes the audience member feel incredibly stuffed and congested. The cameras were too fast, actors spoke their lines too fast. Probably the greatest example is the scene where Severus gets his pants pulled down by James. A great scene in the book but turned into five seconds of incoherence in the movie. Uncle Vernon is a yeller, plain and simple. He did not shout once in OOTP. And when did Dudley become a gangster? Why did Flitwick, who looked normal in the first two films, become a guy with black hair and moustache? That's not Flitwick and his arm pump is not something he would do (although i must admit it was hilarious). George and Fred deserved a bigger finish. Sure the fireworks were OK, but in the book how the were cornered and they grab their brooms, talk to peeves, and escape. That was a finish. Now i understand that the films are becoming darker and more sinister and stuff. And because they're so creative, they make the set and the movie more visually darker to convey this metaphor. However, as an audience member, i want to see the faces of the actors and set. Having the centaur scene with no lines and unable to see things clearly makes it look disorientated and confusing. Actors and actresses that make a grand appearance in the book would get more time in the movie. If i didn't read the books and saw Tonks doing her pig and duck thing i would seriously be like "WTF?" Seriously, people who are not die-hard fans need to be explained things. You would think they would explain the prophecy a bit better with Neville and all, but no they couldn't take the time to do that. They just made silly mistakes. Poking a dementor in the eye when it is choking you? Seriously now. And what happened to Quidditch? It was action packed and amazing in the first two films, but yet again, they succeeded in taking away the magic that made the first two films fabulous. I believed the final battle would be breath-taking but was I robbed on that notion. Like the movie, the prophecy room was tight and overcrowded. No brain room? And it wasn't avada kedarva that killed sirius. However, i grow tired of complaining about this movie. Hopefully people will just read the book instead, which unlike the movie, is good.
71 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie put forth by a stellar cast!
stace_spot28 June 2007
Once again, I believe that the series is only getting better with each progressive movie. I attended a preview screening tonight and was completely blown away by the movie. While quite a bit of detail was lost in the movie, how can you really expect a three hour movie to capture what takes Rowling hundreds of pages to explain? This said, Yates did a great job capturing the spirit of the book, and he had me on my seat from the first scene all the way through the end of the movie. I cried, I laughed, and I am pretty sure there were a few times where I couldn't breathe from the tension.

What really made the movie for me was the talent of the actors. As expected, the older cast members deliver some of the best acting England has to offer. Sidenote: there is something about Emma Thompson where every time she cries in a movie, I start tearing up myself. I was especially impressed with how much Daniel, Emma (Watson), and Rupert have improved their acting since the last movie. Having come from seeing Daniel in Equus two weeks ago, I was expecting a lot from him. Even after seeing him display more intensity than I thought possible on stage, he surprised me in Phoenix. His emotions were so raw and genuine that I literally got goosebumps.

Well done to the cast and crew! I can't wait for the next one!!
362 out of 673 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JK's biggest book to the screen, mission impossible? Mission accomplished!!!
kingtrio911 July 2007
For the avid Harry Potter reader the whole suspense leading up to HP Order of the Phoenix can be summed up in the word "how". How are they going to translate a nearly 900 page book to the screen, how are they going to tie together a storyline that in the 5th book breaks into dozens of streams like a mighty river coming to its delta.

This seemingly impossible task is well accomplished by astute summation of plot and concentration of action. Also, the heart and soul of the book, i.e. the thematic spirit of the story and Rowling's shining gift for characterization are given the fullest support in this film more so than in any previous HP movie.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix basically involves Harry being persecuted by the government for telling a truth they refuse to believe all while dealing with the same feelings of teen angst and emerging love that any ordinary teen finds stressful and consuming. Only through the love and dedication of family and especially friends does Harry come across the means to fight back against the government, elude his enemies and make some sense of his emotional turmoil.

Most reader's will come out of the theater saying "I wish they had shown this or that." However, all will leave satisfied that they have been treated to a faithful rendering brilliantly acted and directed. All the HP movies are a "good watch" but in this one we get a great movie.

We have the advantage of going to our HP movies with a non-reader and she was, to say the least, blown away and pronounced it a near classic. My daughter and myself have read and reread the books many times over and came out limp from exhilaration, our keen anticipation very much fulfilled.

A few highlights: The acting is best ever. The three principles push themselves to a new level. My favorite new characters were Imelda Staunton as Delores Umbridge, excellent (you'll love to hate her) and Natalia Tena as Tonks. Natalia is sheer delight. She is the penultimate punk rock witch girl(think Dead Milkmen here). And Helena Bonham Carter is in her medium (she played the witch Morganna in the movie Merlin) as the dangerous and demented Bellatrix LeStrange.

Battle scenes: breathtaking. Commraderie: The only HP that actually caused me to get teary so heartfelt are the portrayals of friendship and family.

See the film knowing that unless you want a 10hour movie some things are going to have to go. Leave having enjoyed a film that takes the beans and water and instead of a nice large coffee treats one to a perfectly concentrated, most artfully brewed and extremely tasty espresso. It has been said before but truth is truth: BEST YET!
180 out of 325 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yet again the movie disappointed me
jonk-2011 July 2007
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix surpassed even my lowest expectations for the film. The movies have been steadily declining since the third movie. It's not that they're bad just standing alone, but as they are based on the phenomenal books by J K Rowling they should at least try to stick somewhat close to them. This however almost never happens, it's as though the director just wants to make his film and get his money, it doesn't do the books justice in the least. I left the theater fuming because of all the changes made to the books. I'm not naive, I understand that a lot must be taken out to fit the time length but good God they could have shortened the 10 minute broom ride in the beginning and used it to make the confrontation in Dumbledore's office a little more accurate, or they could have added the rest of the rooms in the Department of Mysteries which were noticeably absent. Those were the 2 parts of the films that I was actually looking forward to seeing but was yet again disappointed. Instead of hexing every person trying to take him to Azkaban,as is written, Dumbledore simply grabs Fawkes the phoenix and disappears...ooh wow wonderful...God! Also, the Department of Mysteries was almost a joke in itself...apart from the missing rooms the fight between the students/Order and the eaters was also sub par. I just saw flashes of wands as the people just flew around attempting to kill each other, it was an incoherent mess. There are other major flaws in the movies but i don't have to time or patience to discuss them at the moment. If you are going to see the movie and haven't read the books or aren't extremely familiar with them, then the movie will probably be very good to you, however if you are like me, and have read the books multiple times, lower your expectations for the film and grit your teeth, you'll probably leave disappointed.
47 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
canabalistic_waffle12 July 2007
May Contain Spoilers

Things I didn't like:

I still can't get over the new Dumbledore. In the books he is described as nice, which the first one pulled off perfectly. But the second one is scary. They missed out the mirror. I'm sure I read somewhere that those are important in the future.

And St. Mungo's. I would have loved to see Lockhart and Neville's Parents.

After the Dementor attack, they should have filmed the howler for Aunt Petunia.

The bit with Voldemort possessing Harry, what was with that. I'm sure I didn't read that in the book.

They didn't show Ron and Hermione getting Prefects

After the Fight Dumbledore didn't tell Harry all about the prophecy. That was a big mistake. How are they going to explain why Voldemort went after Harry and why Prof. Trelawney is such an important Character

But most importantly what about the Quidditch. About how Ron gets on the team. This obviously means they don't plan to do Quidditch again. They can't, unless they find a way to write Ron in.

The thing I missed most were things like the classes, especially Hagrids. It had no sense of time. It was like they had just taken out bits of the main plot and stuck them together. Where were the exams especially the practical exams.

Now for the good things:

Luna; She was perfect. It was a shame she got more screen time than some of the main characters though.

Newspaper Montage; It was awesome. They shouldn't have done it as many times though. Kind of wrecked the effect of it.

Umbridge wasn't what I expected but she was great

All in all I hated this movie. I even talked my mum into reading the 870 page book. David Yates did a really bad job. The should bring back Chris Columbus. The first 2 were way better than the last 3. Prepare for a bad Movie 6 because David Yates it directing it. I am seriously considering not going!
29 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
two thumbs down
andwhatroses11 July 2007
I am the biggest Potter fan that I know, and i can honestly say that i HATED this movie. The acting was a touch better and the effects were up to their normal standard, but the complex, involved plot that the novel provides was completely butchered on screen. I do understand that they cannot include every detail of an 800+ page book, but certain obvious details, such as Lily Evans in Snape's memory, any mention of Neville's inclusion in the prophecy, the two-way mirror from Sirius, the locket in Grimmauld Place, Regulus Black...these details are important to future plots. They SHOULD make an appearance. The story doesn't make any sense without them. The memory itself, my favorite scene in all six books so far, is all of twenty seconds and the only characters you see clearly are James and Severus. Bellatrix says Avada Kedavra to kill Sirius. There is a reason JK Rowling did not specify the name of that jet of light that killed Sirius, and by putting the no-returns-possible Avada Kedavra on it squashes any sort of believable return from him in future. While still visually appealing, and though it hurts to type it, the film is, overall, terrible. You can't make excuses for the plot-moving details that were left on the cutting room floor.
43 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad as a movie, but definitely under explained
notfadeawayvx11 July 2007
As a very dedicated Harry Potter fan, I have very high, sometimes unfair, expectations for the movies. It was not a terrible movie, but it was definitely the worst adapation yet and very fast paced and under explained. To the person who has not read the books, and only seen the movies they may be lost/easily confused as to what is happening. I expected that they would leave out many things, and I had already forgiven them for that before I entered the theatre. What bothered me the most was the fact that they couldn't seem to set on a mood. It seemed like the movie was confused as to whether it was supposed to be a comedy or a drama. They added in American one line humour, changed some of the plot lines around, and failed to make Harry seem more than a cardboard person. The CGI effects are amazing, the soundtrack is great and will put you in the mood. However, be warned that : Quidditch was taken out of the movie, Draco was reduced to a cameo appearance, Hermoine is unlike herself, and it seemed to drag on towards the end.
32 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best out of the five, but if you are only going to focus on the plot problems, don't bother because your whining will only give the rest of us headaches...
Cocacolaguy912-211 July 2007
Longest Book. Shortest movie.

That simple fact is pretty annoying...I mean how can they compact such a complex book into 138 minutes? They don't. They can't. And to try would be suicidal film making, doing nothing but making a big mess out of the film.

So let me tell you right now, if you insist on the plot adaptation being great, don't bother to see this movie. Don't feel guilty or disloyal.

But if you can ignore that fact that scenes are left out, you may rather enjoy this film, as did I.

The acting is just wonderful. A plethora of veteran, English actors only means good things. Whether it be Danielle Radcliffe with his surprisingly good display of disgust and hope, or Ralph Fiennes with his ingeniously frightening demeanor, or even Imelda Staunton with her deadly, torturous personality...you are bound to be awed by the cast.

Technical Aspects are also wonderful. Everything from the special effects, which are in my opinion incredible, to the cinematography, which make the unfathomably stunning set pieces look even more beautiful.

And since I insist on being a jerk and making fun of people who pay attention to the plot, let's talk about it. The plot, as you may of guessed, is fine with me. It's consistent. The movie went by fast but it didn't seem to just "skip along" which I believe is a negative trait possessed by the 4th one. They did leave out quite a lot of things, arguably some things that they could have easily included without making the film "a mess". But they didn't, and there is nothing I can do about it. I don't care enough to point my finger and say "the movie was terrible because...and this event happened at the beginning...when...and so..." You get my point.

In short, I feel they did a great job. Again, yes, they took out a lot, and it is technically the worst adaptation when compared to the other four, but then again it is a very complex book, and I feel they made the right decisions. It is obvious they weren't lazy.

I give it a 9/10, and will stand by my opinion it is the best out of the five films, easily.
227 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trashing J K Rowling --- Warner's $242 million Rip-Off!
vitaleralphlouis1 August 2007
Any Harry Potter movie is a special event, so we chose Washington DC's finest movie theater, the UPTOWN, with its giant Cinerama curved screen and superior stereo, laid down our $8 per ticket, and expected the best.

My guess is that when J K Rowling saw this movie, she might have said, "Oh! God! No! What have they done to my book?" The screen version is a mess from A to Z, beginning with having no definable story, wooden acting, and throwing Rowling's message of GOOD vs EVIL in the trash.

Lord Vandermort is still alive, you see, and Harry knows this, but before he can convince others to take action a new teacher takes charge of Hogwart's, throwing traditional school values away such as confronting evil. She reminds us of today's liberal teachers who hammer their agenda at the kids and deal with dissent via detention and other Nazi-like decrees. Such a character cries out for a face-off and rejection by the students, but the plot is so poor that.........

Harry, Hermione and Ron lead some of the brave students to the Order of the Phoenix --- which is no more than a secret room at Hogwart's, lined with bookcases full of old books; but devoid of any defined Code of Honor or any such thing to tell what Phoenix was all about.

The acting is wooden and dreadful, beginning with Dumbledor but is pervasive through the entire cast. I have a long standing crush on Hermione as played by Emma Watson; but Miss Watson is given almost no opportunity to portray Hermione's strong character; instead reduced to A Team-like walks alongside Harry and Ron. Her dialog is way shorter than my review. Rupert Grint --- I don't recall Ron as having a word of dialog. Harry kisses an Asian girl with Hermione and Ron watching. We get no indication whether Hermione cares, or whether she and Ron are now a pair.

By using way-too-familiar tricks such as swooping zoom lens swipes and a "wall of noise" style musical score, the film tries to convey that a story, some sort of conflict, is going on; but nothing is happening.

Another thing is the magic --- which is undefined in terms of purpose or limits. Whenever the filmmakers lose confidence in their plot-starved storytelling they rely on suddenly smashing glass and other noisy nonsense --- in no way like other Potter films where you knew the how and why.

Finally, I don't believe for one second that 11,500 moviegoers input a score of 10 for Order of Phoenix. Too often recently it's obvious of studio meddling to spoil honest input to the IMDb website. Studios have been buying good reviews in newspapers for decades; it just makes sense they'd corrupt input to this site. Order of the Phoenix is a dreadful trashing of J K Rowling and no real Harry Potter fan would score this mess a 10. As a Security person, I have no idea how to prevent studio feed into these ratings -- still allowing you and me access; but shame on them.
36 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.