Alien vs. Predator (2004) Poster

Great set-design and action - terrible dialogue
gogoschka-124 October 2013
Just watched it again yesterday - it's striking how good the action is compared to the ridiculous dialogue. I completely understand why this movie got such terrible reviews; after all, it marked the first "let's make a quick buck" entry in the two beloved Alien and Predator franchises and was done by a director who many felt didn't treat the material with the respect it deserved. When I watched it yesterday I got angry at times because some of the dialogue - well, most of it, actually - is truly awful. It's hard to take characters or a story seriously when nearly every sentence spoken resembles lines from a parody of cheap science-fiction and horror movies from the fifties and sixties. But despite all those flaws I have to admit I enjoyed the movie from start to finish - because of the amazing set- and creature-design and the more than decent action sequences and special effects. Whoever designed those really scored and seems to have a great love for the art of Giger and the previous films. So if you can get past the silly characters and you're able to ignore the more obvious shortcomings (like the idiotic decision to make the film PG-13) you're in for a fun ride. My vote: 6.5 out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
129 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unjustly panned by critics and fans
amesmonde9 March 2010
A team assembled by a billionaire investigate a heat signal that reveals a pyramid below the surface of a whaling station in Antarctic. However, the pyramid is a hunting ground for Predators who kill Aliens as a rite of passage and the team find themselves caught in the middle of their hunt.

It shouldn't have been mixed, Paul W.S. Anderson's AVP: Alien vs. Predator was more so unjustly panned by critics and fans due to the hype and anticipation. It has the feeling of an Alien film, a great premise, good cinematography, some amazing effects and a fine score.

Paul W.S. Anderson is successful in bringing the franchises together, respecting ideas from both Alien and Predator movies. I haven't seen a bad film that he's made and I'm not sure why there is such a geek gang hatred against the mans work. The ever-improving Uwe Boll he is not! The strong leads include Sanaa Lathan as the heroine and Raoul Bova. However, unfortunately actors Carsten Norgaard as Rusten Quinn and Tommy Flanagan as Mark Verheiden disappear far too early. Overall the acting is good, Lance Henrikson shows up as the 'real' Bishop but some of the characters lack development and the editing feels choppy in places.

The Predators and Aliens look great apart from some badly executed CGI. It not Ridley Scott or John McTiernan, but Paul Anderson pulls off the almost impossible task of putting these to aliens together on screen.

If there was not an Alien or Predator film prior to this it may have been haled as a science fiction adventure classic, but alas that's not the case.
100 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure why it got such a bad mark from most people
fiore22 August 2009
I went into this expecting a horrible movie. From all the reviews that I read I thought it would be HORRIBLE! I've seen many, many worse movies than this.

A previous comment stated the movie went a bit too fast in explaining things and developing the characters. While I can certainly agree on the former, the latter, well, you just know most of the people are going to get wasted so character development isn't that necessary. We came to see Predators hunt and fight with Aliens.

One thing I didn't like was the movie showed the Aliens more powerful than the Predators. I believe the canon shows the Predators are much more powerful than the Aliens. Regardless, I liked this movie.

This movie surprised me because there were many things I didn't expect. Were some scenes over the top? Absolutely, but this is Hollywood and we're talking Aliens V Predator here :) IF you are a fan of these genres you really should give this movie a chance.
118 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome showdown.
cruise017 May 2020
(5 out of 5 stars)

Awesome. AvP delivers an awesome, excitng, and action packed film. May not be scary like the Alien films. But they werent scary either. But does dive into the science fiction action. The plot is great. It gives a story of Predators and Aliens. And why they are fighting each other. The visual effects are great. Paul Anderson delivers the action. The fight sequences are fantastic.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For some reason, everyone hates this, but I love it!
jmanchak61 March 2010
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I just like this movie because I saw it when I was younger, and when you're young, you just love any movie. I didn't see any of the Alien or Predator movies before I saw this, and maybe that's why I like it. I like to believe that the general audience (ie me) liked the movie, while the die-hard Alien and Predator fans hated it. So I started thinking about how they wouldn't like this. And I came up with these conclusions:

1) The fans were disappointed by the fact that this was only PG-13, not R. All of the previous films were R, so less violence in this, which ain't good.

2) There aren't a lot of scenes where aliens and predators are fighting. It contains more scenes of humans running away from aliens and predators, and once in a while, the aliens and predators get on each other's nerves.

3) Lance Henriksen was in the film, which basically messes up the continuity of the entire franchise. It's different if it was just a 10 second cameo, but they give him a huge role.

Why do I like this film? Because it gives me a great sense of nostalgia. I enjoyed the special effects, and I thought that the plot was great and fun. Plus it is pretty scary (if you're 8).

I don't know, just try the film out. That's all!
57 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good monster action flick.
Fella_shibby31 December 2020
I first saw in in a theatre in 2004. Revisited the 109 mins unrated version recently.

This is the first film installment of the Alien vs. Predator franchise, bringing together the creatures of the Alien and Predator series. In this one, scientists are caught in the crossfire of an ancient battle between Aliens and Predators as they attempt to escape a bygone pyramid. The film is fast paced with tons of action, aided by top notch special effects n amazing set design. Thankfully it doesnt have any shaky cam stuff, no flickering lights n none if the scene is shot in dark light. We can make out what is going on. Compared to most films where too much darkness takes away the fun, this one doesn't have bad lighting. They have toned down the human body count n reduced the gory moments. Nonetheless, it is a good monster action flick. Gore wise, it is nowhere close to the original Predator.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as some people make out
shakermakerman9 September 2007
Reading some of the harsh reviews I thought I would comment. The big disappointment for me in the movie was the lack of gore , fox did get it wrong to make it a pg13 even though they tried to substitute it with monster gore. All that being said this movie is a visual master-peace, the effects are top notch with very good fight scenes and creature effects with the best looking Alien Queen to hit the screens, The story is pretty cool and it gives more insight of the Predators, It takes a while for the introduction of the creatures but once the ball is rolling its none stop action. Not the horror feast we all wanted but fun.
100 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LOVED IT SINCE ITS DEBUT
nickeyblack359 April 2020
The only thing i disliked about this movie is the PG13 rating. They really should've pushed for R ratings. However, i never comprehended why ppl hate this film. The only Predator and Alien movie i don't like is PREDATOR 2018 and ALIEN COVENANT. Other than that, all you picky folks create your own movie once this 2020 pandemic crap ends.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really underated, one of my all time favorites. A mixture of two classic alien franchises in an action packed film. Highly recommend. ( A+ Movie) My Ratings 10/10
Muhammad_Rafeeq16 February 2020
As a film is not something excelent. BUT, at those days back it was a dream to see on screen the battle between those two iconic vilains. And that film gave us the pleasure. Still, Henriksen is one of the most underated actors.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sheepdom at its finest
weisstein15 October 2006
Another great movie spoiled by bad initial critique. And most people jumping on the bandwagon. They moved production of this movie out of Hollywood and lots of people virtually lost jobs to some east European studios where they shot most of the scenes. Lots of anger was present in Hollywood about this, no surprise that initial reviews were strictly negative. This movie is superb in nearly all aspects I watched it more times then all the prequels combined. I like the lead actress and Henriksen as Bishop Weyland, some crew man are actually more interesting then the crew in some Alien prequels, and of course the CGI is finally watchable and say state of the art, not some lame blinking LEDs all over.
79 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular and decent Aliens/Predators movie set in Antarctica where a motley group takes on extraterrestrial monsters
ma-cortes1 October 2014
During an archaeological expedition on Bouvetøya Island in Antarctica, a team of archaeologists led by Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan , several hundred actresses tested for the lead female, Sanaa was selected one week before filming began, and had to fly to Prague immediately) and Charles Bishop (Lance Henriksen who was first to be cast to maintain some kind of continuity with the previous films , he is the "ancestor" of the Bishop Android from Aliens (1986) and Alien 3 (1992), who were also played by him) and other scientists (Raoul Bova , Ewen Bremner , Tommy Flanagan , Joseph Rye) along with a military platoon (Colin Salmon) find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends . Soon, the team realize that only one species can win. There they find some altars where victims were placed in the Chamber of Sacrifices of a pyramid (it is arranged identically to the hibernation pods in the original Alien , 1979)

Moving sequel with plenty of chills , twisted intrigue , disgusting special effects and lots of blood and gore . In fact , this is the first Alien film, and also the first Predator film, to get a rating other than R . This was a project that had floated around for about 10 years , it was only when director Paul W.S. Anderson did his verbal pitch to the suits at 20th Century Fox that anyone showed any real interest . This horrifying as well as heart-pounding movie contains shocks , stomach-churning violence , filled with action , thrills and results to be pretty entertaining . This nail-biting picture contains tension from start to finish , gory scenes aplenty , thrills , some strong scares , slime , emotion , entertainment and passable acting . It is a superb cinematic combination of Sci-Fi , monster movie and terror . This is a brutal , considerable violent and exciting sci-fi thriller that scales new heights of savagery even by the standards of the 70s , 80s , 90s and 2000s . The result is a throughly violent but undeniably thrilling action movie with a strong cast giving sweatily good value to their abrasive characters . Based on the comic books by writer Mark Verheiden, creator of the first Alien vs Predator comic series and the first story involving both species , contrary to popular belief, the comic was released prior to the infamous shot of the alien "skull" in Predator 2 (1990). The Alien vs. Predator story crossed over virtually all forms of media before becoming a feature film . There was a successful comic book series, toy line, multiple video games, soundtrack of the PC game and even a trading card series . Breathtaking as well as bloody slaughter sequences took long time to shoot and were extremely difficult to make . Magnificently designed creatures , originally created by the artist HR Giger . Top-notch special effects by SFX designers Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis , after the opening credits are shown, they have brief cameos as technicians who discover the heat bloom coming from the pyramid . The animatronic Queen was controlled by a motion-control rig which could save her movements digitally . The ending part is particularly exciting with Sanaa Lathan battling the malicious alien and with impressive scenes that took various weeks to film . The star and support cast are pretty good such as Sanaa Lathan , Raoul Bova , Lance Henriksen , Colin Salmon and Tommy Flannagan . The picture packs an original music by Harald Kloser , plenty of frightening and stirring sounds . Colorful and adequate cinematography by David Johnson . The motion picture was professionally directed by Paul W.S. Anderson , though Guillermo del Toro was offered the director's chair but opted to make Hellboy (2004) instead . Paul W.S. stepped down from directing Resident Evil 2: apocalypse (2004) and directing Mortal Kombat to write and direct this film. According to director , if they'd filmed in Hollywood, the sets would have cost them $20 million . In Prague, they only cost $2 million, an important factor in keeping the film's budget down below $50 million. This was he most commercially successful of both Alien and Predator movies, grossing over $172 million

There was seven years between the release of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), six between Aliens and Alien 3 (1992), and five between Alien³ and Alien resurrection (1997). The gaps between the four Alien films steadily decreased . The original and the best was ¨Alien¨ by Ridley Scott , it was starred by Sigourney Weaver as a great action woman similarly to Sanaa Lathan ; it is followed by ¨Aliens ¨, also visually astounding by James Cameron with Paul Reiser , Jenette Goldstein , Lance Henriksen ; and this Alien . All of them starred by the great Sigourney Weaver who performed one of the best female leads created in years followed by Sanaa Lathan . Furthermore, ¨Alien vs. Predator¨ (2004) that was first film in the "Alien" franchise to not feature Sigourney Weaver, who has said in interviews the idea of the crossover "sounded awful and ¨Aliens vs. Predator 2¨ (2007) by Strause Brothers with Steven Pasquale , Reiko Aylesworth , John Ortiz , Johnny Lewis and Robert Joy . The original and the best ¨Predator¨ (1987) by John McTiernan in which Arnold leads a team of CIA-hired mercenaries into the Central American jungles with Jesse Ventura , Bill Duke , R.G. Armstrong , Carl Weathers , Elpidia Carrillo who appears briefly in ¨Predators II¨ with Bill Paxton , Danny Glover , Ruben Blades and ¨Predators¨ (2010) by Nimród Antal with Adrien Brody , Topher Grace , Alice Braga and Walton Goggins
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real exciting
therodimus22 February 2005
After watching a movie for the third time, I went to a conclusion that this is a really good movie. Honestly. Not a masterpiece, of course, but not complete crap either. It might be better, much better - but it is as it is and we can do nothing about it.

It's not "Predator", "Predator 2" or yet another part of the "Alien" series. So please don't compare them.

Don't forget that Fincher, Cameron and Scott were not that famous when they were making "Alien"'s movies. So there's no use to blame Paul Anderson for lack of experience.

Just watch it and enjoy it. It might be an excellent film, but it's just a good movie. ;)
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MovieAddict201613 August 2004
We don't go to see movies about dueling alien species for deep themes and intricate character development, but a little sympathy would be nice. I didn't feel any sympathy for the characters in 'Alien vs. Predator' because they were all unlikable clichés: The Heroine, The Hero, The Nerd, The Tomboy, The Gruff Leader, et al. These carbon cut out characters we've seen in hundreds of other films are all assembled together by Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen) in 'AvP' to venture into the Antarctic, where they uncover an ancient pyramid recently discovered by Weyland's multi-million dollar satellites hovering about in space.

The movie is based, of course, upon the iconic 'Alien' and 'Predator' films – the rights to which are both owned by Fox Studios. The concept for the project originated with 'Predator 2' (1990), when a cop (played by Danny Glover) ventured into a Predator spaceship. There, in the 'trophy room,' was the distinct skull of an Alien.

This small in-joke reference (similar to that of Freddy Kruger's claw appearing in the 'Evil Dead' sequel) sparked a phenomenon of fans speculating as to the meaning behind the very brief big-screen insinuation. And due to strong requests, the two fictional species were finally united together for a string of comic books, videogames, novels and action figures in the early-'90s. By the year 2002, 'Alien vs. Predator' had become one of Fox's most profitable off-screen franchises. So, it was only reasonable to demand a film be made. By October 2003, production was underway, with sets in Prague being assembled.

And the film's director, Paul W. S. Anderson, has always excelled at set design. In 'Event Horizon' he perfectly captured the dark essence of the 'Alien' series; with 'Resident Evil' he managed to mimic the Gothic structure of all great zombie movies. But, to be honest, that's about it. He's never been any good at three other vital elements of film-making: story, characters and direction. 'Alien vs. Predator' –- a project that took 14 astonishing years to bring to the big screen (longer than 'Freddy vs. Jason') –- doesn't do much to change this.

Yes, his set design here is fantastic (it's no surprise that a great amount of pre-production work went into creating these enormous surroundings). The pyramid is buried deep within the wastelands of the Antarctic (2,000 feet, actually), which provides us with some great cinematography and stages.

The plot could have used extra work, though. After venturing deep into the pyramid, the team of scientists soon realizes that the pyramid is –- surprise, surprise! –- actually the home of an alien hive. And furthermore, a pack of teenaged Predators -- on an annual 'manhood' hunting ritual -- are there, too, and they begin to draw the humans into their fight, using them as bait.

The movie's cast is comprised of many newcomers and they are all unimpressive. Sanaa Lathan ('Out of Time'), as Alexa, the heroine, is rather annoying. Raoul Bova, playing the hero Sebastian, is the most likable of the characters, but even then, he's simply no Arnold.

Furthermore, the dialogue is completely lame. Sure, 'Predator' had lame dialogue too ('Knock, knock!') but at least it was funny and delivered with charisma. This movie unfortunately takes itself way too seriously. I've heard many people quote lines from 'Predator' over the years ('I ain't got time to bleed!' being a popular one). I can't imagine anyone ever *wanting* to quote dialogue from this film.

Even Henriksen seems like he's just in it for the paycheck. (His character, Charles 'Bishop' Weyland, is the billionaire who – according to 'Alien' mythology -- creates the Bishop androids seen in 'Aliens' and 'Alien 3,' which are modeled after his own image.) Is it any coincidence that the only returning cast member from either series of films happens to be the same actor whose career has devolved into straight-to-video duds recently?

However, kudos must be handed to "'AvP's' creature effects artists (mainly Tom Woodruff, Jr.). I had expected lots of CGI, but there are also many close-ups of the Predators and Aliens played by thankless actors in suits (and some good IL'-fashioned animatronics). Kevin Peter Hall (the original Predator) passed away shortly after the release of the film's sequel, but Anderson has comprised an acceptable team of replacements (most of the actors being some seven feet tall!).

That, and the set design, and one or two OK action sequences, makes 'AvP' adequate for 'regular' cinema-goers expecting nothing more. If you're just looking for the average Saturday night blow-'em-up action flick, you could certainly do worse. But, for any true die-hard fans of the films, this movie continually disappoints – and worst of all, due to its restrictive PG-13 rating, the fights (which take place all too often and rapidly become boring) are all over the place. We are not 'allowed' to see anything, which hinders the flow of the film. There was more violence than I had expected, but still not enough. (For the record, 'AvP' is the only film from either of the two series to ever receive an under-R rating.) After negative test screenings, Fox Studios decided to go against the will of the film's own director and brutally chop the movie apart so that it could fit into a more marketable age demographic. (So, the awkward flow in many of the sequences cannot be entirely contributed to Anderson's directing skills.) The day the official rating was released, fans across the world united online to protest it. I can't say I blame them.

I had personally been looking forward to seeing this movie for quite some time now, being a fan of both 'Alien' (1979) and 'Predator' (1987). Yet I tried to view 'AvP' unbiased, and judge it on its own terms, as a movie, and not particularly a sequel. It was a difficult task, but the truth of the matter is that the film – as a stand-alone project – is still not particularly enthralling. With its shameful rating, poor acting, awful writing and mediocre direction, 'AvP' disappoints the fans at every turn, and will probably leave non-fans feeling a little wishy-washy. Fox has taken two of their greatest franchises and turned them into a joke. 'AvP' is nothing more than typical action fare which, all considered, isn't much of a compliment at all.

2.5/5
396 out of 739 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Paradoxial
jaywolfenstien10 September 2004
Most people going into this film want to see one thing: Aliens and Predators rip into each other. I suspect a great many geeks and lame individuals inhabiting message boards of every corner of the internet will complain that this film spends too much time with the humans when the name of the film is 'Alien versus Predator' and they couldn't care about the humans, and another sect will whine about how shallow the film is to jump right to the big fight as soon as it can possibly set it up.

The nice thing about the Freddy vs Jason premise is the fact that most of the Elm Street films and none of the Friday the 13th films had any substance to them, so throwing the two juggernauts into a battle rumble with each other with a side of useless characters and uninspired plot shouldn't have phased anyone but the most deluded of fans. I really liked FvsJ more so than all but the Craven-driven Elm Streets and the all the F13s.

Alien vs Predator is quite a bit different since I love Ridley Scott's Alien and James Cameron's Aliens, and though I don't hold Predator 1 & 2 on the same level, I'm still pretty fond of the original Predator film (been too long since I've seen Predator 2). The Alien series (and to a much lesser extent, the Predator series too) has always been about depth . . . so to just throw the two monsters at each other and let them rip into each other really does not do them any justice and strips away what makes their films so good to begin with.

So . . . AVP takes a middle path. It attempts to build up the characters to an extent, it attempts to give a valid reason for both the Aliens and Predators to be in the same location, and it attempts to do it as quickly as it can. How well does it succeed? I found myself wishing it would either slow down more or pick up the pace.

I'm very pleased to see the stylish Paul Anderson lead this tangled and difficult project. His nods to the original films, in jokes, and slower paced setup were much appreciated from me. Ninety minutes of guys in rubber suits cut with CG monsters fighting constantly just will not cut it. I felt Anderson rushed the setup (or the studio rushed him); but part of me did grow bored of the characters rather quickly, and I did want to see the Alien and Predators get together sooner than they did.

The lingering time between bouts did create more tension and anticipation for the coming fights, which I admired, and when the beasts finally sank claws and teeth into one another I found myself more or less satisfied. At first I felt somewhat let down by how seemingly easily a few Predators went down; however, then I remembered these things were fighting Aliens with bare fists and blades when Space Marines were getting slaughtered with state of the art artillery.

A classless director would have started with a bang, ended with a bang, and had a boring parade of bangs. When I want meaningless, yet entertaining, bangs I buy firecrackers and save myself both time and money. Paul Anderson strived for something more, and pretty much came through. While I did like the film and the idea of Aliens and Predators fighting it out, I couldn't help but compare it to the superior films that inspired it. As fun as AVP is, and as much as I like Paul Anderson . . . he is not Ridley Scott and this is not Alien.
198 out of 363 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty damn good
killionriot9 August 2020
I loved this movie, good fighting and multiple predators! Better than the 2019 predator movie for sure
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It took 14 years...
dee.reid14 August 2004
...Before a possible showdown between the iconic monsters of "Alien" and "Predator" would occur, when they would cross paths on screen and battle to the death. There's a scene in "Predator 2" that occurs towards the end of the film, where Lt. Mike Harrigan (Danny Glover) ventures into the Predator spaceship and accidentally stumbles onto the alien hunter's trophy room, and neatly placed towards the back amongst the various awards, was an alien skull. Those 10 seconds of film spawned over a decade's worth of rumors that one day these titans were going to go at it head-to-head, and that whoever won, we'd lose.

As a fan of both the "Alien" and "Predator" franchises, I've been looking forward to "Alien Vs. Predator" for a long time, since that historic scene. I've admired the two monsters for years, collecting all kinds of memorabilia, including books and action figures; you name it, I've probably seen it.

With "Alien Vs. Predator," director Paul W.S. Anderson has achieved something of a mixed bag. Undoubtedly critics will balk early into the film. They'll pick apart its MTV-style editing, bad pacing, and lack of spirit of a genuine "Alien" or "Predator" film. Die-hards will balk at Anderson's direction and the fact that he was even allowed near the film.

I had fun watching it, despite some inconsistencies regarding our two iconic monsters who like to either use humans as hosts for more of their hideous offspring, or trophies which can be displayed in their intergalactic showroom of skulls.

The story is that a massive, ancient Aztec/Egyptian/Mayan temple has been discovered deep below the surface of the Antarctic, and Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen of "Aliens") has assembled a team of the world's best archaeologists, which includes Alexa "Lex" Woods (Sanaa Lathan, who convincingly fills in the tough female role), Sebastian de Rosa (Raoul Bova) and Graeme Miller (Ewen Bremner) to accompany him in investigating it. But wouldn't you know it? They're not alone in this gargantuan maze of dark tunnels and ever-changing structures, and that a trio of Predators have come there to hunt rapidly reproducing Xenomorphs.

Well, I can tell anyone that the powers-that-be in Hollywood and at Twentieth Century Fox played heavily into the film's mixed bag treatment. If the movie fails, I'd blame constant executive and studio interference - the b*****ds in suits who decide they want to cater to teenage fanboys instead of the largely adult fan base that this film was originally built on. In doing so, they opt for action over story, more importantly, $$$ over artistic vision.

Anderson has remained faithful in preserving the essence of both the "Alien" and "Predator" franchises by casting no-name performers to combat the extraterrestrial foes, and by emphasizing ideas over action and special effects. On a sour, angrier note, the gorehounds will be sorely disappointed, since executives at Fox toned down the violence considerably as to release it with a "PG-13" rating, as to rake in every penny. Of course, that "PG-13" rating doesn't stop us from getting quick edits (read: no gore) of chestbursting sequences, facehuggings, and people being mercilessly slaughtered by the Predators.

I had faith that Paul W.S. Anderson wouldn't let me down long before I even saw the film; he doesn't, but I have a feeling that his film is destined for the same fate as David Fincher and his film "Alien 3" - that it will go down in infamy and only years after the director has disowned the film and controversy is still brewing, that the true vision of "Alien Vs. Predator" will surface and will finally earn the respect owed to it.

168 out of 316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Try filming a decent movie to go with the marketing...
sixtwentysix17 August 2004
This movie is the perfect epitome of Hollywood taking something beloved, running it straight to hell (Predator 2, Alien 4) and then taking it even one step further by completely disjointing the stories and continuity, *ahem* alienating the fans and basically wasting everyone's time while marring the original (Caddyshack 2 anyone??) all in the name of the mighty dollar bill. Seeing this movie only eggs them on people! This is a movie that you immediately wish you could UNWATCH and erase from your memory banks.

I would be highly surprised if more time went into the script of this film than the actual marketing. I'm not even going to complain about the PG-13 rating because it is what it is.... just a bad movie.

Horrible acting. Pointless plodding sub-plots. Decent action sequences and a precious few cool moments in what should have been a fan-boy's wet dream. The lead in this movie is a demographic friendly woman with barely enough acting ability to make a shampoo ad believable. Any mildly entertaining characters were immediately destroyed in the first twenty minutes of the film with zero payout. Even the marquee monsters end up looking bored as the audience is lead along in a by numbers popcorn sales ploy.
184 out of 369 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An utter work of genius
eboxtree2 July 2006
Many people castigate Paul Anderson for destroying both the Alien and Predator franchises. I must say that they have no clue and the director/writer is a true genius for having pulled this movie off. Notice that I did'nt say that this movie itself was great but it was a work of genius. So what is the movie like? It is by far one of the worst and most disgusting pieces of crap that will kill your interest in both the Alien and predator. But don't you get it? That's the point.

Paul Anderson obviously hates the fans of the franchises and has been hating them for a while now. He hates them beyond anything and they must be made to pay dearly and suffer. So in a brilliant plan, he manages to fraud the fools at Fox to give him the project. He did that despite the fact that his previous movies were laughable. Now isn't that just genius? Anderson has made a joke out of every single thing that made the concepts stand out. Your innocent curiosity will make you sit through his parody in hopes of some big twist but it never happens. Scene after Scene is one joke after another. How can anyone possibly imagine a bullet-time mode for an Alien attack? All this has been done very intentionally and nobody realises that. Once you've watched this movie, there's nothing you can do about it. You've lost and Anderson has won. His revenge on fans is complete. Hes also left room for a sequel by including a predalien birth at the end, further putting a big hole in future stories. He makes a ton of money too. Genius.

Oh, I should have said EVIL genius.

UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR INTEREST IN ALIENS AND PREDATORS KILLED OFF, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
225 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It amazes me so much on how the film lacks on what the title promises.
criehle12 February 2005
Many fans want different things from this film. Many fans, including myself, were hoping to see lots and lots of action. One Alien & Predator battle after another. Some fans were hoping for a edge of your seat, truly terrifying horror movie much like the original Alien. No matter what you want, hope, or expect from this film you will be disappointed.

The direction this film takes is a horror route. It tries to be like the original Alien movie in the sense that the horror has to come more from the characters and their fear than from the monsters themselves. Paul Anderson tries to show as little Alien & Predator as possible without being ridiculous and let the actors & characters sell us the fear. Now this sounds like a good approach to a film and normally it would be. Here however it is the reason the films fall flat on its face. The problem being is that the characters aren't interesting and their actually paper thin cut outs. And after a short while the characters become boring and un-interesting and then u begin to long for either an Alien or a Predator to show up and start killing people.

But as I said, Paul Anderson tries to hide the monsters and show as little as possible much like the formula Ridley Scott & James Cameron used for their films. And thats where the film fails. Fans come to see this movie to see Aliens & Predators fighting. They don't come to see Sanna Lathan and the other people run around a dark pyramid. Fans didn't wait 14 years to see paper thin characters run around all over the place. They go to see Aliens & Predators.

The film should have taken the action route and gives us large amounts of AVP battles. However Paul Anderson only gives us ONE, count them One, true fight scene between an ALien & predator. And that fight scene doesn't occur until half-way through the film and it only lasts 2 minutes. 2 minutes. As a fan I did not wait this long to see a AVP movie only to have one battle that lasts 2 minutes.

Above I said "true battle" because there is technically another battle. It is between a Predator, Lex, and an Alien Queen. Much like the first AVP battle it is disappointingly short and 90% of the battle focuses on lex fighting the queen than it does focus on the Predator. After a while you begin to think the title "Alien vs. Predator" is inappropriate and instead should be called "The Adventures of Lex". Paul Andersons direction leaves out the two title characters.

The idea of hiding your monsters appearance till half way through the film and rely more on your characters is a formula that has worked in the past. It even potentially could have worked here but in order for that to happen you need to do one thing. Make the characters more interesting. If your characters are paper thin then the audience aren't going to care about them and then they quickly become bored. The film should have done is focus less on characters and more on the monsters. It amazes me so much on how the film lacks on what the title promises.
218 out of 448 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alien vs. Predator plays like a video game
seaview112 August 2004
Twentieth Century Fox has taken two of its most popular sci-fi franchises and paired them in a Super Bowl of monsters in Alien vs. Predator. The result is OK entertaining but ultimately a pale version of the original classics, Alien and Predator. It helps to get some useful perspective.

The concept, while intriguing, is not entirely new. Quite recently, Jason (Friday the 13th series) and Freddy (the Nightmare on Elm Street) did battle as studios attempted to milk every last drop of revenue from waning sequels. Three-quarters of a century ago, Universal pictures became what would be the greatest horror film studio with Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, The Mummy, and Creature from the Black Lagoon among others. When it became apparent that each franchise was running its course, the natural thought was to pair their monsters in a showdown. Most prominent was Frankenstein Meets Wolfman. So it is no wonder that a clip from that very film shows up at the beginning of Alien vs. Predator.

Set on present day earth, a satellite detects a thermal event in Antarctica which triggers a hastily assembled scientific expedition financed by the Weyland Corporation. Its enigmatic head is Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen) who wants to leave a legacy as his health begins to fail. Sanaa Lathan is the mountain climber/guide who leads the group to the thermal anomaly and discovers an ancient pyramid beneath the deep ice. Unfortunately, the explorers trigger a sequence of events including the birth of new Aliens via the dreaded facehuggers and the arrival of a group of Predator warriors ready for a new hunt. As the body count rises, the Aliens multiply in number and thus a battle royal is ready to commence. Will there be any humans left? How come nobody told the Nostromo crew in the first Alien movie about these critters? And what happened to the Henriksen character's namesake who reappears in the guise of Bishops 1 and 2 in later films? So many questions are left unanswered.

The plot does have plenty of holes and glosses quickly, almost too quickly through the story as characters we barely get to know or want to care about quickly perish. Fans of both film series will appreciate the multitude of references to the Alien life cycle and Predator code. There are a couple of inconsistencies which may nag the purists such as the rapid maturation of the Aliens from egg to adult in record time, and the ease with which the dwindling humans understand the whole scenario. In fact, not only do the humans quickly realize who the Aliens are, namely the ultimate quarry for the Predator hunter warriors, but that human beings have been used like cattle to perpetuate the Aliens every 100 years as game for the returning Predator race. Note that the film Predator 2 hinted at this very concept with a brief glimpse of an Alien skull inside a Predator spaceship. Alien vs. Predator also serves as a kind of prequel to the Alien films and a kind of sequel to the Predator films in its timeline.

Sanaa Lathan is actually good in the role of the guide and it is possible a better script and strong direction would have brought echoes of Ripley from the Alien films of old. The set design of the pyramid is fascinating though confusing with all of its ever changing mazes. The creature effects are not bad though reserved for the latter half of the movie. Director Paul W.S. Anderson (Event Horizon) does a serviceable job here and the PG 13 rating is designed for all those fans of the video games and comics featuring the Alien and Predator battles. Business should be brisk though limited to those loyalists who will find this installment diverting and certainly not the disappointment of Alien 3, or is it we've just lowered the bar a bit more?
71 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LOVED IT, DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS
superpj-969715 May 2021
Finally the graphic quality matches how great the story is. Lots of great twists that i didn't see coming. Don't know why so many people didn't like it.
I love this movie
DanteRiggs21 September 2020
I think I watched this movie at least 4 times. I loved it as a kid and I love it now, as an adult. I don't get the hate, especially from the Alien/Predator fans. AVP is a fun action movie and a much anticipated crossover. If you liked Aliens and/or the Predator movies, how can you not like this?! 9.5/10
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure why there is so much hate
alexkzapf8 August 2020
I liked the movie. Thought the set design was on the mark. Acting could have been better. The effects where more than passable. A lot of people complain about the dialogue. I guess there could be better. But. You could say that about any movie. I think Paul Anderson gets unjust hatred at times. Reminds me a lot of Zack Snyder. I think one of the issues is that they probably always do what the film companies ask of them. Maybe I'm wrong. I, for one, enjoyed this movie and the sequel. Not perfect. But a fun pop corn movie. Which is what I expect from a movie with this title. It's not Citizen Kane. And it was never meant to be.
Great crossover
foxtografo6 July 2019
This is a great movie, I thought everything looks great, the story is quite solid for the excuse needed to see both monsters on the same movie, the characters were acceptable and the stages look amazing. Then, some fight between the Aliens and Predators felt a bit clumsy, the choreographs were not always the best, but it was good action overall. The characters (humans) again, maybe the weakest point, could have been more interesting, but no one annoyed me to the point of dislike or ruining the movie. Cinematography was very good, as it was the designs (stages over all), and the flashback scene was absolutely amazing!! I really don't understand why so low in rating, honesty, I sense some fanboy hate here, the movie is great fun to watch and is way better than other Aliens and Predator movies.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget the naysayers, this film kicks butt!
BrandtSponseller8 February 2005
Series note: It is strongly recommended that viewers watch the Aliens and Predator films prior to watching this film. In order, the Predator films are Predator (1987) and Predator 2 (1990). The Alien films are Alien (1979), Aliens (1986), Alien 3 (1992) and Alien Resurrection (1997). While Alien vs. Predator isn't constructed as a chapter in a continuing story, watching the other films first will give you a more thorough grounding in the mythology behind the two series, bringing greater depth to this film.

Set in the early 21st Century (after the two Predator films to date, but before the four Alien films), the Weyland Corporation has discovered a pyramid buried under 2,000 feet of ice in Antarctica. They assemble a team of researchers and explorers to investigate, but when they arrive, they discover a tunnel already dug through the ice--a tunnel that wasn't there just 24 hours before. While exploring they uncover part of the history of the titular Aliens and Predators on the Earth, and may have just walked into the middle of a "war".

Despite my best attempts to avoid comments from the peanut gallery prior to finally watching Alien vs. Predator, I had heard a number of negative remarks. I can't for the life of me understand the negative reviews of this film. Often, disparaging remarks arise from the ranks of pimply, purist fan boys living in their parents' basement, who usually resemble the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. But in this case, I can't even imagine why the purists would not like this film. It's perfectly consistent with the mythologies presented so far in both series, and the mood, pacing, story, cast and so on are also consistent with the other films. I can only imagine that the naysayers had already created their own Alien vs. Predator films in their heads long ago, and when this one didn't match their Cartesian theatrical versions, they blew raspberries. How they'd have low enough IQs to expect other creative minds to match their personal constructions yet still be able to speak and write intelligibly remains a mystery.

In Alien vs. Predator, writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson has managed to create a fascinating extension to the mythos of both creatures' worlds (not to mention human history), while building a bridge between the two story lines, all in a wrapper combining the suspenseful action sequences that both series are known for and the traditionalist horror trappings that are often found in the Alien series. He presents a similar ragtag cast of characters as are found in every film in both series, and in the tradition of the Alien films, gives us a somewhat surprising woman as the smartest, strongest and most resourceful person at hand.

I loved the sets and locations--the beginning of the film was a quickly paced travelogue of exotic locales. The main action takes place not only in Antarctica, but far under the ice is what is essentially a traditional Mummy film setting. It most closely hearkens back to Alien 3, but with a much more conventional Gothic horror atmosphere than Alien 3's industrial dinginess. The sets were beautifully built, shot and lit, with incredible production design down to the smallest details. There are also excellent little nods to films as diverse as the Indiana Jones series (beginning with Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)), the Cube (1997) series, and the Stargate (1994) series. Some might be put off by such references, but they are traditional in the arts (not just in film), they're fun for genre fans, and they further deepen and cement an overarching mythos for many different films, all with a degree of pretense that they are set in the real world. If the alternate history presented here were true, then of course there would be similarities to the lock used on AVP's weapons-bearing sarcophagus and Stargate's portals--they stem from the same source, or similar sources).

I loved the creature designs here, and I thought the effects were among the best I've seen. The action sequences were exciting and suspenseful to me, the film was well paced throughout, and the cast was good to excellent (especially Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan). I also loved the ending, with its opening for AVP2. I agree that I would have preferred the film to be a bit longer (I rarely think a film is too long) and I wouldn't have minded more gore, but neither of those facts actually affect the quality of the film in my opinion, they're too much personal preferences in my view to justify subtracting points for them.

If you've enjoyed any of the Alien and Predator films, forget the naysayers, Alien vs. Predator is comparable to the quality of the rest of the series. If you haven't liked most or many of the films in both series, ask yourself why you expected different with this one. If you haven't seen much of either franchise yet, get started!
53 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.