Alien vs. Predator (2004) Poster

1,405 Reviews
There's some cool stuff here, but the film is still a failure
Leofwine_draca16 October 2015
Good idea, bad execution. I was looking forward to this cross-genre collaboration ever since I read a few of those alien vs. predator pulp novels about fifteen years ago, which provided high entertainment value all the way through. Sadly, the film is much less enthralling, offering a minimum of actual alien-on-predator action, instead focusing on a large bunch of uninteresting characters (mostly unknown actors) who wander around for about forty-five minutes before things start warming up. Now, the general plot sounds great; I love the way the mythology of Predators visiting ancient civilisations and instructing them to build pyramids ties up with real theories (try reading Chariots of the Gods) and the idea of a vast, ancient walled city beneath Antarctica is straight out of the Lovecraft story, At the Mountains of Madness. Sadly, this elaborate and expensive set-up eventually results in a load of uninteresting characters running around corridors in the dark, getting bumped off one by one.

Sigh. So far, so boring. The worst offender is unknown lead Sanaa Lathan, who goes for the tough heroine approach a la Sigourney Weaver, but she's bland and uninteresting in comparison. Then there's Italian heart-throb Raoul Bava as a charismatic archaeologist, and I did enjoy the twist involving his character towards the end. Heavyweight acting comes from Lance Henriksen, returning to the series after ALIENS and ALIEN 3. This time, though, he isn't the android Bishop, instead the old man who inspired creation of the androids in the future (this film is set in the present day). While it is cool to see Henriksen back in action – and I loved the pen trick, a reference to ALIENS – it's sad to see him as an ill, tired old man, and something of a wasted opportunity – I would loved to have seen him return as Bishop. Still, he has one good scene, involving him using a makeshift flamethrower on a retreating Predator – great spectacle!

Other actors include Snatch's Ewen Bremner, wasted as a kind-of comic relief Scotsman; then we're down to people like Patrick Troughton's grandson and that scarred guy out of GLADIATOR, but the characterisation attempts fall flat. As for the main contenders – the Predator is big, here, I mean real big, in different "cold" armour, but when he gets his helmet off, his make-up is crap and a big step down from that seen in the 1987 PREDATOR. What gives? Kudos, though, to the guys who did the Aliens, which are magnificent creations, looking scarier and more fluid than ever, whether it be chest-bursters, warriors or the Queen; great work all round. It's just a shame that ALL of the scenes involving either alien take place in the dark, so it's really hard to see what's going on.

Great special effects are just about what keeps you watching this movie. Certainly, with the rating cut down to PG-13, there's no gore or violence here like you'd see in the rest of the films from both series. Predictability rules outright, especially in the routine climax, which is only saved by some outrageously convincing CGI/model work, although it is a little reminiscent of JURASSIC PARK. There are only about 4 or 5 actual alien vs. predator fight scenes, and they are wicked; especially the scene where Predator swings the alien around his head before tossing it through the air. Lots of fun is had with the corrosive acid blood of the alien, and the high-tech weaponry of the Predator. Sadly, though, this is a wasted opportunity, best seen as a nostalgia piece that'll have you reaching for the original movies in the series to see how good they were in comparison.
Aliens in present day Earth
SnoopyStyle4 April 2014
Weyland Industries has found an unknown heat signature in Antarctica. Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen) gathers a team to explore a pyramid buried deep underground. Inside they find an altar which they activate. Meanwhile three Predators have landed to collect their trophies.

This is an idea created out of desperation. Both Predator and Alien franchises had run their courses. Somebody came up with the insane idea to marry the two franchises. There is a reason why only Henriksen returned. It should have been an obvious mistake to bring Alien into present day and on Earth. It rips apart the original Alien franchise canon.

If there is any redeeming quality, it is to be found in the movie itself. It is a pretty simple creature feature with 2 different creatures. One must abandon all hopes of the enjoyment from the original franchises. There is no hiding the creatures. They are revealed quickly. Director Paul W.S. Anderson brings along the monsters and produces nothing good. There is no imagination. At least enough money has been spent that the production doesn't look completely cheap. That is all the good I could see here.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a Tiresome Spectacle
Hitchcoc11 January 2017
OK. We've got these two movie entities: Aliens and Predators. What would happen if they faced off against each other. This sounds like something Cliff Klaven and Norm Peterson would discuss as they swilled beers at Cheers. A bunch of rich guys decide it is necessary to investigate some heat coming out of the ground in Antarctica. They spend a whole bunch of money to see what's there. They also hand pick a group of disparate characters to investigate. It is the usual assemblage of clashing personalities. They are also terribly short sighted and pretty incompetent. Of course, once the Aliens and Predators arrive on the scene, the humans become things to be killed. Those bad boys begin to do their things based on their particular properties and then...it's over, I guess. This is just another case of lack of imagination and an anything-for-a-buck mentality.
The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend
claudio_carvalho9 April 2005
The satellite of a company owned by the millionaire Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen) locates in Antarctica an unidentified source of heat and a pyramid with indication of three different primitive cultures built six hundred meters below a deactivated whaling station. Weyland hires expertize, including an archaeologist and an electronic engineer, and organizes an expedition leaded by Alexa Woods (Sannaa Lathan). When they reach their target, they realize that the place is indeed the stage of an ancient war between two breeds, and humans are only kettle in this game. They pick a side, based on the saying that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I have just watched "Alien Vs. Predator" and fortunately I did not read any review before. I have enjoyed this film a lot. I found it a funny entertainment, full of action and having a good story. Of course there are many clichés and this movie will never be nominated to an Oscar, but I really do not understand some imbecile and unfair reviews that I have just glanced. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Alien Vs. Predador" ("Alien Vs. Predator")
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An OK film if you want monsters punching each other, but if you want anything else then you'll be out of luck (SPOILERS - as if it matters)
bob the moo2 November 2004
When a satellite belonging to the Weyland Corporation picks up a heat trace on a remote island in the Antarctic, investigation reveals it to be some form of pyramid, hundreds of feet under the ice. Putting together a team to go under the ice, Weyland leads a group that includes an ice climber environmentalist, pyramid experts, people who date stuff, drillers and a couple of really big guys with guns. When they come to drill they discover a perfectly formed shaft at 30 degrees going down to the pyramid and take it down as the easy way. However reaching the bottom they quickly get separated by the shifting structure of the pyramid and it is all too late before they realize that they are not alone and may only be a side issue in a bigger story.

It is ironic that, in the year that marks the 50th anniversary of Godzilla, I found myself sitting in a multiplex watching two men in monster suits punching each other. The acting may be (marginally) better and the effects cost more but that it basically what this film comes down to, and to enjoy this film it is important you get your head around that as quickly as possible. If you come here expecting plot, acting, scares or quality then you are maybe best to just go somewhere else. But if all you want is two men going 'BOSH' and 'BANG' while wearing monster suits then you've pretty much hit the motherload with AvP. This is not to say that it is any good whatsoever because it really isn't, but if all you want is very basic action then you'll find it passing the time (albeit only a very short 80 minutes). I didn't hate it – and that's about as good as I can say about it.

The actual action has no real scares or jumps to it and fails to have anything approaching a palatable tension. The effects are pretty good and some of the fights are alright despite the editor cutting them so quickly that it is hard to really see what is going on. Outside of the spectacle of the film there is really not a great deal else worth turning up for. The plot is delivered by characters who seem to be able to work out what is going on very easily so that they can tell us – if it was me I'd be running shouting 'WTF' but these guys take the time to explain to one another the story. This is clunky and about as annoying as it sounds and it creates a second problem – characterisation. The problem is that there is none. The characters are mainly killed off very quickly and we never really care about them because to us, like to the aliens and predators, they are only incidentals to the main event. Certainly the character of Woods seems to have been intended as a Ripley stand in but having her in a sort of 'mismatched buddy' movie with the Predator failed to get me interested and instead had me trying not to laugh at the whole idea! I must give credit to the writers for at least coming up with a vaguely good concept to make this film happen but beyond this premise the plot is no good at all and the script feels like it was written by someone who had never written a script before – it was a serviceable script but not a convincing one.

The cast pretty much know that they are meat and many of them can barely make an impact. The casting is quite interesting because there are only one or two instantly recognisable stars but the majority of them are 'where have I seen him before' faces – eg the guy from James Bond, the guy from Braveheart etc. Lathan tries to be Ripley but fails; the only praise I can give her is she managed to keep a straight face no matter how stupid her scenes were. Bova is OK and is good looking but again has nothing to do. The last time I saw Bremner was a few weeks ago in a short about ME – in fairness maybe stuff like this pays his rent and allows him to do more interesting work but he can certainly do better than this. The rest of the cast are pretty much fodder that last 20 minutes if that, but special bile is reserved for Henriksen who really should have known better. The film didn't need him to tie into the Alien series and, for all he does, he really shouldn't have bothered – he did have some good stuff in other alien films but this was too much. The Predator is OK but has lost the vicious edge that made him compelling in the first film, but the Alien at least is a menacing character (well, apart from the silly lumbering featured in the final scenes).

Overall this was not terrible, it was just not any good. Men dressed in suits throw each other around and CGI effects gallop up walls in the dark while things go bang. If that is all you want then this film just about manages to deliver that in a very basic fashion. But if you are looking for plot, dialogue, characters, genuine excitement or tension then you might as well just p1ss off home now because there ain't none of that here for you! How cheering it is though, to see that 50 years after Japan started the ball rolling, Hollywood is keeping up tradition of poor movies based solely on the idea of two men in rubber suits throwing each other around a set. And they say there are no original ideas left...
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"They gave their lives so the hunt could begin".
classicsoncall16 September 2015
As sci-fi franchises go, I find the Alien and Predator universes to be quite fascinating, so melding the two into a single story line was done rather creatively here. I like the idea of the Predator hunters luring humans to a remote Antarctic location in order to breed Aliens for sport. Once you take it on faith the rival species could behave this way the possibilities are endless. The idea that a young teenage hunter Predator could form an alliance with a human like Alexa (Sanaa Lathan) was an interesting concept to explore and managed to distinguish the warrior as a noble creature. But the major revelation for me was how Pepsi managed to beat out Coca Cola for product placement honors for this picture. I guess a Coke and a smile just wouldn't have worked under the circumstances.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AVP: Alien Vs. Predator
jboothmillard20 June 2005
If you liked the space thriller with Sigourney Weaver, or the jungle thriller with Arnold Schwarzenegger, then you will love it when the creatures from the film do battle with each other, from director Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil). It is 2004, and a private satellite, owned by billionaire Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen), discovers an unidentified heat source in Antarctica, coming from a pyramid deep beneath the ice. So he sends a team of top-of-the-line archaeologists and engineers to go with him and explore, these include Alexa Woods (Blade's Sanaa Lathan), Sebastian De Rosa (Raoul Bova), Graeme Miller (Trainspotting's Ewen Bremner) and Maxwell Stafford (Colin Salmon). Once there, through taking some unknown weapons, they trigger a chain reaction closing many of the doors, and waking the frozen Alien mother who lays the eggs containing face huggers that lay new Aliens in the humans. Meanwhile, the Predator ship has landed and three of the humanoid warriors have entered the pyramid to destroy the Aliens. Through inscriptions on the walls, they find out that these creatures used to rule the human race during the dawn of man, and the Predators had to prove themselves worthy by fighting the Aliens, but it ended when one of them set of a bomb to kill all in the area, this new battle is basically another chance. The special effects never fail, some familiar faces are good, and the action is cool, obviously not as good as the first time you saw the Aliens and Predators, but still a cool film. Good!
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I expected
Tweekums22 November 2008
I must admit I'd avoided watching this film for a while expecting it to be terrible, however when it was on television I decided to give it a go. While I don't think it was as good as the original films it was better than I expected.

Set on present day Earth a heat signature is spotted deep under the Antarctic ice, satellite images show that it appears to be a pyramid. An expedition is set up by Charles Bishop Weyland to investigate this strange find. When they get there they are surprised to discover a shaft leading from the surface to the pyramid, assuming it must have been made by another team of explorers they head down, little knowing that it was in fact made by a Predator hunting party that lands soon after and wipes out the surface party. About the same time an Alien queen within the pyramid is awakened and starts laying eggs. Shortly after the team divide into two groups they trigger a mechanism which causes parts of the pyramid to move, trapping one group in a room into which Alien eggs are inserted with the inevitable results. The remaining explorers must then battle to survive against the Aliens which the small group of Predators intend to hunt as a rite of passage.

Fans of the original films may be disappointed at this much tamer combination of the two, the lower rating means that there is almost no real gore and it is never really frightening. It isn't a terrible story though, the acting isn't bad and the special effects are pretty good so if you haven't seen it and it is on television it is worth watching, I won't be buying the DVD though.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spectacular and decent Aliens/Predators movie set in Antarctica where a motley group takes on extraterrestrial monsters
ma-cortes1 October 2014
During an archaeological expedition on Bouvetøya Island in Antarctica, a team of archaeologists led by Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan , several hundred actresses tested for the lead female, Sanaa was selected one week before filming began, and had to fly to Prague immediately) and Charles Bishop (Lance Henriksen who was first to be cast to maintain some kind of continuity with the previous films , he is the "ancestor" of the Bishop Android from Aliens (1986) and Alien 3 (1992), who were also played by him) and other scientists (Raoul Bova , Ewen Bremner , Tommy Flanagan , Joseph Rye) along with a military platoon (Colin Salmon) find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends . Soon, the team realize that only one species can win. There they find some altars where victims were placed in the Chamber of Sacrifices of a pyramid (it is arranged identically to the hibernation pods in the original Alien , 1979)

Moving sequel with plenty of chills , twisted intrigue , disgusting special effects and lots of blood and gore . In fact , this is the first Alien film, and also the first Predator film, to get a rating other than R . This was a project that had floated around for about 10 years , it was only when director Paul W.S. Anderson did his verbal pitch to the suits at 20th Century Fox that anyone showed any real interest . This horrifying as well as heart-pounding movie contains shocks , stomach-churning violence , filled with action , thrills and results to be pretty entertaining . This nail-biting picture contains tension from start to finish , gory scenes aplenty , thrills , some strong scares , slime , emotion , entertainment and passable acting . It is a superb cinematic combination of Sci-Fi , monster movie and terror . This is a brutal , considerable violent and exciting sci-fi thriller that scales new heights of savagery even by the standards of the 70s , 80s , 90s and 2000s . The result is a throughly violent but undeniably thrilling action movie with a strong cast giving sweatily good value to their abrasive characters . Based on the comic books by writer Mark Verheiden, creator of the first Alien vs Predator comic series and the first story involving both species , contrary to popular belief, the comic was released prior to the infamous shot of the alien "skull" in Predator 2 (1990). The Alien vs. Predator story crossed over virtually all forms of media before becoming a feature film . There was a successful comic book series, toy line, multiple video games, soundtrack of the PC game and even a trading card series . Breathtaking as well as bloody slaughter sequences took long time to shoot and were extremely difficult to make . Magnificently designed creatures , originally created by the artist HR Giger . Top-notch special effects by SFX designers Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis , after the opening credits are shown, they have brief cameos as technicians who discover the heat bloom coming from the pyramid . The animatronic Queen was controlled by a motion-control rig which could save her movements digitally . The ending part is particularly exciting with Sanaa Lathan battling the malicious alien and with impressive scenes that took various weeks to film . The star and support cast are pretty good such as Sanaa Lathan , Raoul Bova , Lance Henriksen , Colin Salmon and Tommy Flannagan . The picture packs an original music by Harald Kloser , plenty of frightening and stirring sounds . Colorful and adequate cinematography by David Johnson . The motion picture was professionally directed by Paul W.S. Anderson , though Guillermo del Toro was offered the director's chair but opted to make Hellboy (2004) instead . Paul W.S. stepped down from directing Resident Evil 2: apocalypse (2004) and directing Mortal Kombat to write and direct this film. According to director , if they'd filmed in Hollywood, the sets would have cost them $20 million . In Prague, they only cost $2 million, an important factor in keeping the film's budget down below $50 million. This was he most commercially successful of both Alien and Predator movies, grossing over $172 million

There was seven years between the release of Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986), six between Aliens and Alien 3 (1992), and five between Alien³ and Alien resurrection (1997). The gaps between the four Alien films steadily decreased . The original and the best was ¨Alien¨ by Ridley Scott , it was starred by Sigourney Weaver as a great action woman similarly to Sanaa Lathan ; it is followed by ¨Aliens ¨, also visually astounding by James Cameron with Paul Reiser , Jenette Goldstein , Lance Henriksen ; and this Alien . All of them starred by the great Sigourney Weaver who performed one of the best female leads created in years followed by Sanaa Lathan . Furthermore, ¨Alien vs. Predator¨ (2004) that was first film in the "Alien" franchise to not feature Sigourney Weaver, who has said in interviews the idea of the crossover "sounded awful and ¨Aliens vs. Predator 2¨ (2007) by Strause Brothers with Steven Pasquale , Reiko Aylesworth , John Ortiz , Johnny Lewis and Robert Joy . The original and the best ¨Predator¨ (1987) by John McTiernan in which Arnold leads a team of CIA-hired mercenaries into the Central American jungles with Jesse Ventura , Bill Duke , R.G. Armstrong , Carl Weathers , Elpidia Carrillo who appears briefly in ¨Predators II¨ with Bill Paxton , Danny Glover , Ruben Blades and ¨Predators¨ (2010) by Nimród Antal with Adrien Brody , Topher Grace , Alice Braga and Walton Goggins
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AVP: Action; Violence; Power.
BA_Harrison14 November 2009
In 1989, everyone's favourite chest bursting xenomorphs went head to head with the galaxy's greatest intergalactic hunters in the Dark Horse comic series Alien vs. Predator; but it wasn't until a year later, when an alien's skull was glimpsed in the predator's trophy collection at the end of movie sequel Predator 2, that excited fans began talking about the very real possibility of a cinematic merging of the franchises.

Fourteen years later, and 20th Century Fox finally gave them what they had been dreaming of: a movie smack-down between the creepy, bio-mechanical critters with the extendable inner jaws and the imposing, dread-locked hunter/warriors. Unfortunately, with almost a decade and a half to develop their own ideas of what the film should be, fan-boys were less than enthusiastic when the finished product failed to meet their unrealistic expectations; other naysayers included the professional film critics, who complained about the film's lack of characterisation and clichéd dialogue.

It all goes to prove that some people are never happy, because in my humble opinion, Aliens vs. Predator delivers way and above what one might reasonably expect from the fusion of a gung-ho Arnie creature-feature (albeit a fantastic one) and a sci-fi series that had hit rock bottom with its last instalment.

Director Paul W. S. Anderson, who inexplicably receives a lot of flak from critics and viewers alike whatever the project, comes up with the goods as far as action, excitement and spectacle are concerned, making this film not only a hugely enjoyable piece of blockbuster entertainment, but also a treat for the eyes. The set design and special effects in particular are simply incredible, with a terrific combination of CGI and more traditional techniques bringing the nasty extraterrestrials realistically to life.

As far as the performances go, they might not exactly be award worthy, but since when does a monster movie require the acting chops of a Larry Olivier or Meryl Streep? Everyone involved does what is necessary of them, with Lance Henriksen making a welcome return to the Aliens series, Trainspotting's Ewen Bremner putting in a surprising appearance, and lead Sanaa Lathan making a likable and very gutsy heroine.

All in all, I liked AVP a lot. My advice is to ignore the biased sentiments of the fickle fan-boys and pompous critics, and for once, go with the popular opinion: the general public took the film to No. 1 in the box office and made it a commercial success, and for good reason—the film rocks!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was long awaited...
paul_haakonsen18 December 2015
I must admit that I don't get why so many people dislike this movie. Perhaps the idea of crossing the "Alien" and "Predator" universe had been set up for something way too grand, and it usually always did work out in the comic books. Personally I think that this 2004 release of "AVP: Alien vs. Predator" was actually a good movie and fulfilling to the two franchises.

The story is about a group of explorers and scientists traveling to a remote arctic area where they have found a pyramid-like structure deep under the ice. When they arrive, a perfectly cut hole at 30 degrees leads down through the ice to the ancient structure. When traveling to the structure, the group find that they are not alone, as it is an ancient site where extraterrestrial hunters used to breed xenomorphs for honing their hunting skills.

The movie is action-packed and is so almost from the very beginning. It kicks up into a high gear from the early beginning and doesn't really let down the pace. As such, this is a tour de force of action Sci-Fi throughout the entire course of the movie.

"AVP: Alien vs. Predator" does have a formidable list of actors and actresses, some which have far too little time on the screen in my opinion, but still nice that they were there. And the magnificent Lance Henriksen is there for the role of Charles Bishop Weyland, which was a nice reference to the future events of the "Alien" movie.

The special effects in the movie were really good and they did so much for the movie. The alien design was great, as it always is, and so was the predator design. I especially loved the individual personal touches there was the individual predators. But lets not forget the set and the environment; are you kidding me? That was just awesome, so many nice details and cool effects to the pyramid. And the concept of it being set in a remote frigid region was also nice, as it added a sense of isolation and no possible means of help or a chance to escape.

I believe that this 2004 "AVP: Alien vs. Predator" movie really did justice to both franchises and added a good amount of depth and detail to the lore of both franchises. I found the movie to be really entertaining and it is the type of movie that you can watch again and again.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A boring film
Gordon-1120 April 2010
This film is about a group of scientist investigating a mysterious heat-producing underground pyramid, and they find even more mysterious creatures battling inside.

The plot of "Alien vs Predators" is laughably bad, with little thrills or suspense to keep viewers interested. There are no sound effects to enhance the atmosphere, and there lighting is so dark which makes it hard to see what is happening. The design of the aliens are "Terminator" rip offs, while the predators are "Alien" rip offs. I thought "Alien vs Predators" was a effects laden blockbuster, but it turned out to be a disappointment.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who is the real enemy?
michaelRokeefe3 December 2005
After a mysterious heat source is discovered 2000 feet below the frigid surface of Antartica, billionaire Charles Bishop Weyland(Lance Henriksen)puts together a crack team of archaeologist, scientists and security experts to investigate what is causing the "heat bloom". The crew is led by Alexa Woods(Sanaa Lathan). They discover a multi-cultural pyramid that houses a Queen Alien that lays eggs at 100 year intervals. Young Predators arrive from somewhere far, far away and are tested by fighting the young serpent-like Alien offspring. The search crew is caught in the middle of the Alien and Predator war and find themselves meeting horrific deaths. This movie is pretty much predictable, but the outstanding F/X are worth it all. Among the acting credits: Raoul Bova, Ewen Bremmer, Petr Jakl and Jan Filipensky.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pyramidal
tedg24 August 2004
Spoilers herein.

I've made a study of what differentiates the Alien films. Their differences are a concise film school.

Now this here is a different beast. It is a simple essay, not an ordinary long form film. You might like it because of the very idea, or the plot device of switching the ordinarily hunted into a trusted partner of the hunter. The previous films form the foundation for this one which must become smaller.

That `pyramidal' notion is behind the one thing that did interest me here. Once you become familiar with the monsters (as we all are), and you know that the human situation must stay in the expected rut, then the only way to innovate is in the novel setting.

What we have here is an alien pyramid that is part `Cube' part `Thirteen Ghosts,' something that mechanically resembles an orrery. We're even told about it being a synthesis of three "races" of pyramids. A good idea, down to the allusion to the shaft as one of the mysterious `air shafts' of the Cheops pyramid. Alas, this was too slighted because by the time we get it, we are too high in the food pyramid.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monstrous - but not a total monstrosity.
hitchcockthelegend17 June 2009
Antartica, and an expedition is about to uncover a battleground for Aliens and Predators.

Whoever wins, we lose! So ran the tag line for Paul W. S. Anderson's prequel (?) to two fanatically worshipped franchises. Little was Anderson to know that it was the majority of cinema goers who would feel that they had "lost" their cash on coming out after watching this miss-matched effort. Though in truth nobody could seriously have expected a film to rival the best of both serials (Alien, Aliens & Predator), it's still right that us fans should expect the formula to be respectfully adhered too. We want character build up, we expect a group dynamic to function, and we definitely want the baddies to stay just that, as baddies.

It's not a total loss, though, even as Anderson all too quickly hurtles towards his "humans caught in a cube like puzzle box" blood bath, there is just enough back story and anticipation to tickle the tongue. In fact, when it all goes pear shaped and Xenomorphs, Pred-Rastas and humans are all lined up for slotting, it's damn near exciting stuff. While the pyramid/cube/maze design is pretty awesome. However, then the plus points are vanquished as the film quickly becomes kiddie friendly as gloop gives way to strawberry jelly, featuring a turn of events with our "heroine" that's so clumsy I'd be surprised if Anderson sleeps at night.

Still, it's obvious that Anderson loves both franchises and he in no way would have wanted to make a stinker. But he has made a very average movie, one that's got two things in its favour. One being that is the neat middle section, the other that it's not half as bad as the messy hack job that was AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem in 2007. 5/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alien vs. Predator
Scarecrow-8810 January 2011
Humans find themselves in an underground pyramid in Antarctica(designed by the "first civilization" at the specifications of an alien warrior race), caught between two warring alien races duking it out for supremacy with walls constantly opening and closing, the labyrinthine chambers making things quite difficult for those unfortunates trying to find a way out. There was a power source picked up by the satellite of a robotics megalomaniac emanating from the pyramid underneath the ice of Antarctica which inspires gazillionaire Weyland(Lance Henriksen) to assemble a team to find a way to make it inside, claiming it as a major discovery certain to achieve renown and fame. What they do not bargain for is to be stuck in the pyramid as the Predator warriors and alien xenomorphs attack each other to the death. Most of the humans are assaulted by face huggers and injected by mouth with xenomorph fetuses(a flaw in the story has the birthing cycle way too fast). Essentially the film is about a human group servicing the threadbare comic book plot as fodder for the Predator and xenomorph aliens. The film had to have human characters to discuss the plot, like an archaeologist and his aid who can interpret hieroglyphics to explain how the pyramid was built and for what reason. Director/writer Paul WS Anderson builds a mythology for the Predator alien warriors and how far they go back. 20th Century Fox sure threw a lot of money at the movie, providing Anderson with a budget for some pretty impressive, elaborate special effects and he does give the audience some legitimate combat scenes between the Predators and the xenomorphs. Where the movie fails is in how the humans are used in the film, and their demises are mostly off screen. Sanaa Lathan does what she can in the heroine role as an expert climber hired by Henriksen(whose millionaire is dying and sucking oxygen from a device)who finds herself choosing sides with a Predator warrior, hoping he will not kill(and possibly even protect)her. Raoul Bova is an archaeologist, Sebastian, with Ewen Bremner as chemist, Miller. Colin Salmon(RESIDENT EVIL)shows up in a minor role as Henriksen's body guard, and the one responsible for getting the crew into their predicament by removing the last gun from a crypt made especially for the Predator warrior. Everyone else in the plot comes and goes when the aliens enter the picture and the pyramid shuts them in. The acid blood of the xenomorphs are used in interesting ways, even as a mark of success when they are killed by their adversaries. You get an alien queen, trapped in a spider-like locking device, getting free thanks to her "children" using her acid blood to break the locks. Seeing Lathan running alongside a Predator warrior seems unusual to say the least. Henriksen, while good in his limited time on screen, is cast in a glorified cameo thanks in part to his Bishop role in the ALIEN series. Made for a younger audience, there's minimal graphic violence or course language which might be a no-no for fans of the PREDATOR & ALIEN series. The Predator body armor and weaponry are really cool and seeing them in battle with xenomorphs provide some exciting moments. But, AVP isn't exactly a work of art, but as he always does, Anderson sure makes a good-looking sci-fi movie--this is basically a B-movie, not really all that innovative story-wise, concerned more with special effects and creature fights. It will all come down to what the viewer is looking for. Characters and story, nope. Space ships, aliens, and a imaginative Indiana Jones-style setting, yep.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Than Its Bad Reputation
LeonLouisRicci11 January 2014
After Prometheus (2012) and Predators (2013) it may be Time to take a Look Back at this almost Universally Panned Movie. Fanboys by the Godzillians Piled On this and most called it a Pile. But, it isn't that Bad, it's just not that Great.

With Missed Opportunities Galore it manages to be a Watchable Movie. The most Obvious Disappointment was its Corporate Insistence on a PG-13 Rating. So Removing the Gore and Ultra-Violence from the Two Combatants left this Thing a bit Limp.

It has a Good Look and the Antarctic Setting is Cool, but the Battles are Quick and not that Intense. The Inserted Back Story or Origin of it all, while Engaging seems Forced and a bit Ridiculous.

File this one under Guilty Pleasure at Best and a Complete Misfire at Worst. Do not come in with High Expectations and You might Enjoy it more. It is Undeserving of its Bad Reputation and is Worth a Look if Nothing to get too Excited about.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Urgh, how to kill not one but two franchise's at the same time...
poolandrews4 September 2007
AVP: Alien vs. Predator is set in the year 2004 as one of rich industrialist Charles Bishop Weyland's (Lance Henriksen) orbiting satellites picks up a heat bloom under the surface of Antartica where further satellite imaging reveals an ancient pyramid structure buried deep under the ice. Before you can say 'how did it get there' Weyland has assembled a crack team of experts, has sailed out to the location & made their way into the mysterious pyramid. Inside the pyramid it seems to come alive & starts to rearrange itself at regular intervals, meanwhile a bunch of Predators have also entered the pyramid for a bit of sport, no not Weyland & his team but the the newly released alien creatures that provide much more of a challenge...

This American, Canadian, British, German & Czech co-production was written & directed Paul W.S. Anderson I have to say I have little love for AVP: Alien vs. Predator & think it's a pretty crappy film that has potentially destroyed two strong sci-fi/horror franchises all by it's own. The stupid & predictable script is terrible on many, many levels. For a start the human character's are awful, they die far too quickly & the only one who survives has to be the single worst character from a film made during 2004. I wouldn't have minded any other character surviving but her, the very fact she survived meant I didn't like this. Then there's the main reason why I wanted to see this film, the Predators & Aliens themselves. I have to say I was very disappointed again, if the basic story wasn't bad enough the filmmakers have turned the Predators into some sort of good guy while the Aliens are considered the evil ones although the Aliens themselves only do what comes naturally & what it takes for them to survive as a species, I mean they didn't invade the Earth did they? They were put there by the Predators to hunt so in fact I'd say the Predators should have been seen as the bad guy's because they are technologically advanced, free thinking & can make a conscience decision not to randomly kill & potentially wipe out an entire planet by infesting it with Aliens. The way the Predator & that awful woman teamed up at the end to defeat the Aleins was toe curlingly embarrassingly bad & the single worst plot device in any previous Alien or Predator film. To be fair to it the film moves along at a fair pace, it's not too boring & it provides a certain amount of stupid, moronic badly written entertainment but I just thought it was a really lousy film saved only by the presence of the Aliens & Predators themselves.

Director Anderson does alright but I didn't think the film was scary or exciting, it plods along at a decent pace but it's utterly predictable & some of the bits in it are really bad & just lessen both franchises. The first fight between an Alien & predator has great effects but it looks like some sort of horrible wrestling match as the Predator swings the Alien around & slams it into walls, I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. I hated the ending, I hated the lone surviving human cast member (how was she able to stand in the middle of a literally freezing Antartica at the end wearing just a sweatshirt & not even get the shivers?) & I hated that the Aliens (my personal favourite monster between an Alien & Predator) were treated as something that had to be exterminated just because they existed. The special effects are very good & I loved the opening shot which resembled a silhouette of the Queen alien from Aliens (1986) but in fact turns out to be a satellite, there are other little homages to both sets of films throughout. The gore levels are none existent, this is PG rated kiddie fodder all the way.

With a modest sounding $45,000,000 (by Hollywood blockbuster standards anyway) this is well with good production values & great special effects. Apparently shot in just two & a half months in Prague in the Czech Republic. The whole film is a little too dark for my liking & is a bit dull to watch. The acting was awful especially Sanaa Lathan the female hero who I just thought was terrible in every way.

AVP: Alien vs. Predator is alright if your after some fast moving sci-fi/horror entertainment & don't care about little things like story or character's, those who demand a bit more from their films (even lowbrow sci-fi horror junk) then I suggest you give this turkey a miss. Remember the good times & watch Aliens & the original Predator (1987) again instead. Followed by Alien vs. Predator: Requiem (2007) which judging by it's plot outline sounds even worse than this if that's at all possible.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Best of the Year
dbborroughs14 August 2004
First off, you MUST get away from the fan boy mentality. Forget the fact its not rated R, that it tinkers with a bit of alien lore, and accept that the visual effects are just okay at times- The fight on the ice in particular. If you take this for what it is, and on its own terms then you will find that this is quite simply one of the best action films in ages, and a worthy addition to both franchises.

The plot has a pyramid discovered under the ice on an island near Antarctica. A scientific team is dispatched and very quickly they realize that something isn't right. Proceeding under the ice they find that the pyramid links to many ancient cultures. They also find out what its real purpose is to provide a safe place to hunt for the Predators, unfortunately by that time, its way too late for team.

I loved this movie. Seeming to pull chunks of story from any number of the Alien and Predator comics and novels the film makers have fashioned one hell of a ride. I do not know the last time the audience applauded the events on the screen, that they screamed and yelled and talked out loud in nervously. This movie exceeded my expectations and then some.

See this movie. Its a flawed guilty pleasure of the highest order.

10 out of 10.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultimately, "Alien Versus Predator" is well worth the wait.
zardoz-138 February 2008
Anybody who suffered through the lackluster "Predator 2" should remember the final reel when Danny Glover found himself inside the dread-locked Predator's spaceship and saw an Alien's skull displayed on the wall in the trophy room. Of course, that throwaway bit of set dressing meant nothing to the Glover character, but it struck a deep chord with "Predator" enthusiasts. Since "Predator 2" came out in 1990, horror fans have been rattling their cages in anticipation of the ultimate sci-fi showdown between the Alien and the Predator. Reportedly, the success of New Line Cinema's "Freddy vs. Jason" spurred Twentieth Century Fox executives to green-light this crossover creature feature.

Surprisingly, "Alien Versus Predator" (*** out of ****) not only surpasses "Predator 2," but also stands up to the original "Predator" for sheer audacity and imagination. Meanwhile, "AVP" tops "Alien 3" and "Alien Resurrection." Altogether, "AVP" furnishes the back story for both franchises and offers a bigger playing field in terms of spectacle. Writer & director Paul W.S. Anderson deserves credit for spinning this gripping, white-knuckled, suspense thriller out of a bit of set dressing. He spends the first hour drumming up suspense before the title characters tangle, with a clever twist ending. Without a doubt, "AVP" qualifies as everything any hardcore "Alien" and "Predator" aficionado would want from a such a monster-match-up. The Aliens drool their acid blood, telescope their slimy double-jaws and whirl those bayonet tails with fiendish abandon. Oh, yes, let's not forget those icky pods with those knuckle-boned face-hugger critters that jump out of them. Anderson neither cheats audiences nor short-changes either creature. The biggest complaint that industrial-strength horror fanatics will voice concerns the violence. The producers scaled back the creature brutality, so "AVP" could obtain a family-friendly PG-13 rating. For the record, all four "Alien" movies and both "Predator" movies received R-ratings. Essentially, the savvy producers trimmed those crucial blood & gore shots, making things appear more poetic and less pukey, while telling the same story. Presumably, the DVD will feature an unrated version for "Alien" and "Predator" followers. Nevertheless, "AVP" ranks as one of the best monster mash movies. Indeed, the preposterous plot and the obvious ending are hopelessly predictable. One monster cannot win. Think about it. Hollywood wouldn't make any more movies about the monster that lost, and Twentieth Century Fox would be out of a franchise. Suffice to say, "AVP" duplicates the philosophy of all those wonderfully cheesy Nipponese "Godzilla Versus" whoever epics and takes it to a higher level.

Basically, "Alien Versus Predator" is a prequel. The story unfolds in the fall of 2004 and a satellite in a low orbit owned by Charles Bishop Weyland (gnarly Lance Henriksen of "Aliens" fame) has identified a heat source deep in frozen Antarctic wastelands. More importantly, the satellite reveals a sprawling pyramid submerged 2,000 feet below an old whaling station mysteriously deserted one-hundred years earlier by its inhabitants. Weyland dispatches his right-hand man, Maxwell Stafford (Colin Salmon of "Tomorrow Never Dies"), to gather a team of experts to take him to the pyramid before anyone else. Weyland is so anxious to enter the pyramid that he disregards his own health and the safety of his people. Reluctant ice guide leader Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan of "Love and Basketball") joins chemical engineer Graeme Miller (Ewen Bremner of "Trainspotting"), archaeologists Sebastian De Rosa (Raoul Bova of "Under The Tuscan Sun") and Thomas Parks (Patrick Troughton's grandson Sam Troughton of "Sylvia") and driller Rusten Quinn (Carsten Norgaard of "Soldier") who is anxious to bore a shaft through the ice to the pyramid before a storm strikes. Plans change when they discover a thirty-degree tunnel has mysteriously appeared from the surface down to the pyramid. Once our heroes reach the bottom, they feast their eyes not only on the hidden pyramid, but also a part of a feast, caught as they are between extraterrestrial Predators on safari for hideously deadly alien species. Imagine "The Most Dangerous Game" with creatures preying on humans, and you've got a fair idea about what "AVP" has to offer.

"Resident Evil" lenser David Johnson frames every shot in "AVP" as if he were photographing an art film, while Richard Brigland's production designs contribute to the eerie atmosphere. No stranger to sci-fi sagas, writer & director Anderson helmed "Event Horizon" and "Resident Evil." He stages several interesting scenes, especially when the shrieking queen Alien thaws out and lays her eggs for the forthcoming battle royale. He takes us inside the Predator spaceship as the warriors arm themselves "Rambo" style with wicked spears and throwing discs that deploy knife-like blades in flight for maximum penetration. The first half of "AVP" resembles "Stargate" for its hiring sequences. Sanaa Lathan's introduction on an ice-crusted mountain is ingenious. The heroes' arrival in the other world recalls similar events in "Stargate," too. Shunning any form of nervous humor, Anderson hypes up the hokum by trapping our heroes--excuse me, monster bait--inside the dark, spooky confines of a pyramid that reconfigures itself every ten minutes like the structure in the "Cube" movies or "Thirteen Ghosts." You can expect a fair share of false alarms, close-calls, and cliffhanger scenes. Ultimately, "Alien Versus Predator" is well worth the wait.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not only bad as a part of the Alien and Predator franchise but also a bad movie on its own.
Boba_Fett113820 July 2005
Everything about this movie is extremely average and the movie doesn't feature one thing that hasn't been done before. Its extremely formulaic simple entertainment with a way too simple story and uninteresting characters.

Where did it went wrong? Simple, it went wrong from the moment they hired Paul W.S. Anderson. He hasn't made ONE movie in his career that is interesting, original or simply above average. This movie really is no exception. It has a typical Anderson style, meaning that it's filled with flaws. But Anderson is even worser as a writer, the story he wrote for this movie is incredibly simple and features awful dialog and dull characters.

Anderson's directing is truly the weakest thing of the movie. His directing of the actors feels lacking, with as a result that the actors don't have an awful lot to do in this movie and their performances come across as bad. Even Lance Henriksen's role. Also the directing of the action sequences are seriously lacking. Although some of the action does has its moments, it is badly filmed and horribly edited. Halve of the time I couldn't even exactly tell what was happening.

The characters are completely uninteresting and of some you don't even get to know their names. Why should you even care for the characters in this movie? None of them is likable or easy to relate with. Also what was with the many accents in this movie? It was quite irritating to be honest.

But even worse were some of the sounds that the aliens and predators were making. The predators made the sounds of lions and the aliens that of elephants. It made me seriously laugh when I heard the queen alien trumpet. So thumbs down for the sound department as well.

The movie is not as bad as I make it sound now maybe but it's just that this was a movie with so much potential but somehow Anderson turned it into the most formulaic and average movie possible. I mean when you have to concept of making the aliens fight the predators, then surely there is something better they could had come up with.

The movie is slightly below average because of the extremely simple and uninteresting story and characters. Still the special effects are good and some of the action is enjoyable enough to make this movie still a watchable one.

1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not necessarily exactly what you might fear, but not really better
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews15 December 2010
A pyramid(full of traps, adding to the already excessive amount of threat in this, further diminishing the effect of any of it) is discovered in the Arctic, beneath the ice. Of course, a team is sent to investigate. With them are a bunch of armed mercenaries, because who doesn't bring that to an archaeological dig site? We don't actually care about any of these flat, undeveloped and stereotypical characters, we're here for the titular creatures. So this is bogged down by poor dialog and an attempt at build-up(because Anderson, in spite of confusing surprising the audience with entertaining them, isn't a *complete* tard) until we see them, halfway through. And then there is a bit of hit-and-miss action(the genre this fits into, and the wrong one for both species… this has plenty of "exciting" things and doesn't go for proper atmosphere as it should… and things either come out of nowhere or are "cancelled out", so tension is wasted(when it's there) and pay-off is nonexistent) as this continues to be erratic in pace, and then it ends. At 85 minutes, the credits roll. We leave unsatisfied. This is filmed and edited fine enough, if there is an abundance of stylization(who thought these beings needed slow-mo?). As far as effects go, this does favor practical over CGI, and they do look nice. The concept is overly detailed for a single picture(and the exposition reveals far too much about the extraterrestrials(taking away the mystery that gives them a firm grip on our psyche)… and we see them weak and overpowered to the extent that we are no longer scared of them), it doesn't hold up to even a little questioning(there haven't been sacrifices to the pyramid for hundreds of years, where did the "hosts" come from?), and at the end of the day, if you want fighting between Aliens and Predators… the video games(actually, this plot could have worked in that medium) are what you want. Yeah, the comics aren't that great, either. There is disturbing content, mild bloody violence and brief strong language in this. The 2-Disc Extreme Edition DVD has a nifty raised cover and comes with two commentaries(#1: director, Henriksen and Sanaa Lathan… it's interesting and fun, if you can ignore the dumb things she says. And #2: the FX guys, who have a very dry sense of humor and are funny if you like that), various documentaries(most I will review on their own pages here on the site), 9 minutes of Deleted Scenes with the option of hearing their thoughts over them, a 7 minute featurette about the ADI Workshop(not bad), galleries of storyboards and concept art, an Inside Look of several movies, a trailer and a teaser. I recommend this only to those who are desperate for a silver-screen match-up. 5/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the Fight Ignore Everything Else
view_and_review8 July 2017
Alien versus Predator, what's not to like? Let's make it happen: Ali v. Frasier, Tyson v. Holyfield. All we need is a serviceable premise to pit these two against each other and we're talking about cinematic gold!

Well, therein lied the problem. The story around having these two iconic creatures fight was awful. An underground pyramid has been accidentally discovered and a wealthy businessman wants to be the first to discover it. He hastily assembles a team of explorers, scientists and the oh-so necessary terrain expert, Alexa Woods (Sanaa Lathan). Of course instead of getting to brag about his landmark find, he finds he and his team are nothing more than canon fodder for the extra-terrestrials.

Between the acting and the lazily developed story I was ready to scream. For thousands of years these inter-planetary predators would every so often visit Earth to harvest aliens in order to hunt them. What!? And as a parting gift to the humans that worshipped them they taught them how to build. Really!?

Look, the only decent and watchable thing about this movie was the Predators and Aliens going at it like cats and dogs. After that there was nothing to pay attention to and nothing to hold my interest.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Good Blend of Two Highly Successful Franchises
Uriah4311 March 2021
This film essentially begins with an extremely wealthy corporatist by the name of "Charles Bishop Weyland" (Lance Henriksen) learning of a strange heat source emanating from a pyramid-shaped structure underneath Antarctica. Fascinated by all of this he quickly assembles a team of scientists and other personnel to accompany him to that area to investigate. Once there they discover that the pyramid contains Aztec, Egyptian and Khmer inscriptions along with an advanced technology never before encountered. What they don't know is that an alien race called "predators" use this facility as an arena of sorts where their young warriors gain acceptance into society by participating in a deadly hunt against a reptilian species known for its aggressive and deadly tendencies-and the humans are caught in between these two groups. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this was a pretty good match-up of two highly successful franchises which combined an exciting plot with some good special effects. Admittedly, I was somewhat disappointed in that it focused more heavily upon the science-fiction and action aspects typically associated with the Predator franchise than the horror element normally featured with those of the previous "Alien" movies. But despite that I still found it to be entertaining in its own right and I have rated it accordingly. Slightly above average.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Call the Ghostbusters.
anaconda-406583 September 2015
AVP: Alien Vs Predator (2004): Dir: Paul W.S. Anderson / Cast: Sana Lathan, Lance Henriksen, Ewen Bremner, Raoul Bova, Colin Salmon: Here we are again with the combination of two franchises that had great films as well as pitiful installments within. Here we have a big budget circus act about one dominating factor conquering another. Great production and visual elements are the norm as the premise rushes introduction and cardboard characters discover a pyramid but are really there to be eaten. The predators breed the queen alien and then hunt the creatures. This is about as intelligent as starting a forest fire and trying to put it out yourself. Two predators are killed by aliens while a third befriends Sana Lathan because she killed an alien. He is so thrilled with her act that he allows her to live. Their friendship mirrors the children in an episode of Barney. I half expected the predator to break out in song, "I love you. You love me..." Useless cast headed by a sick and brainless organizer played by Lance Henriksen. They makers obviously have forgotten that Henriksen was in Aliens. Ewen Bremner and Raoul Bova also appear on the menu but perhaps the biggest joke is the heroine played by Lathan who should go on Animal Planet to discuss her discoveries. Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and like Freddy Vs Jason it celebrates franchises that are well past their prime. Score: 4 / 10
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.