Jurassic World (2015) Poster

1,462 Reviews
There is a plus...
vulneri29 October 2017
... and it's dinosaurs. Absolutely everything else is a big pile of crap (might be dinosaurs'). So full of clichés, you exactly know, who is going to die or who will live just a few minutes after knowing the character. So many absurd decisions, so many stupid but predictable actions. So much staring on danger in spite of running out. So many substantive errors for anyone who has primary science knowledge. And last but not least running many hours in the jungle on heels without absolutely any problems. Unfortunately dinosaurs haven't eaten everyone so it's going to be another idiotic movie.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spielberg Magic, This Is Not. Still, a Visit to Jurassic World Is Worth the Price of Admission.
jaredpahl12 June 2018
You may have heard some critics champion Jurassic World as "The best Jurassic Park sequel", some fans declare that it "brought them back to their childhood", and others who may have made the absurd claim, "It's better than the original". Don't believe the hype. Jurassic World is nowhere close to the best Jurassic Park sequel (Spielberg's own, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, will always have that title). It is not going to bring you back to your childhood, and it doesn't hold a candle to what Steven Spielberg and crew accomplished with the original Jurassic Park. That being said, in a time of dark, self-serious, and pretentious blockbusters such as last year's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes or Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight films, Jurassic World is a refreshing antidote. Light, wholesome, and heavy on adventure, JW harkens back to the big Hollywood "event" blockbusters of the 80s and 90s. Let's just not pretend this is anything groundbreaking. The fourth Jurassic Park movie remembers to have fun with its premise, but Spielberg's magic touch is still sorely missed.

Jurassic World is the latest film in the Jurassic Park franchise in name only. Call it a sequel, reboot, or re-quel, the fact remains, this is not the same world created by author Michael Crichton and made real by Spielberg and company in 1993. All the major characters from the first three films are gone. Alan Grant, Ellie Satler, Ian Malcolm, and the rest of the appealing and memorable characters of the earlier movies are replaced with broad movie archetypes and superfluous supporting characters. With respect to our new kid characters and Vincent D'Onofrio's bone-headed military grunt, the only two characters worth noting in Jurassic World are Owen Grady, a rugged dino-expert played by bona fide movie star Chris Pratt, and Claire Dearing, an uptight scientist played by Bryce Dallas-Howard. Both are really likable in doses, and the script doesn't subject us to too much of their dopey bantering. While Owen and Claire are cliched, and ultimately uninteresting, as characters, the charm and sheer star power of Pratt and Dallas-Howard are quite enough to bolster JW's brand of disposable summer adventuring.

There's a neat little hook to the story of Jurassic World. After a re-branding of sorts, John Hammond's dream is finally realized and Jurassic Park is opened and fully operating. However, when the public begins to lose interest in seeing the same old dinosaurs, the scientists of Jurassic World are prompted to create an all-new hybrid dinosaur called the Indominus Rex. Well, you guessed it, that dinosaur escapes. Okay, so that's a clever solution to the classic Jurassic Park sequel dilemma, "How does this stuff keep happening?", but that plot line takes all of twenty minutes to peter into a chase picture, and a simple one at that. The few subplots are banal. Be it, two brothers who come to Jurassic World to spend time with their aunt, or a ridiculous plan to weaponize velociraptors (The latter of those subplots is one of the most embarrassingly stupid ideas I've seen in a movie in years), Jurassic World doesn't have much to get invested in besides big scary monsters running after people.

There is one aspect of the film that I love, and that is the design of the Jurassic World Resort. The care that went into perfecting the look of the theme park is a great deal higher than the care that went into the story or the filmmaking. Jurassic World is a living, breathing place, and it is filled with all kinds of minor details that help sell the illusion. The triceratops petting zoo, the hamster ball ride, the souvenir shops, and scores of other theme park related details are touches that I was grateful made it into the film. There are more than a few nice moments where you get to enjoy the park as it was "intended". The immersion lasts throughout, even as the prehistoric psycho-killer, and all the destruction that it brings, takes center stage.

Once the Indominus Rex gets out, and all Hell breaks loose, director Colin Trevorrow's filmmaking starts to show its deficiencies. Jurassic World is an impressive technical feat. The action is staged well, and the special effects and production designs are incredibly polished. It all looks like a million bucks (or 150 million to be exact), and it's all very fun, but when it comes to the meat of the movie, it's foolish to think that Jurassic World is anything more than Transformers with dinosaurs. In Jurassic Park and The Lost World, Steven Spielberg infused his action scenes with tension and suspense. There was a certain kind of visual poetry to the T-Rex attack in the first movie or the raptors in the grass scene from The Lost World. They were exhilarating because of their selective restraint. Without showing everything, Spielberg made scenes that were subtle and scary, and that exploded to life at just the right moments. Jurassic World's action scenes are big, loud, and entertaining, but it's all chaos, no technique. Trevorrow throws the kitchen sink into every shot. The Indominus Rex chomps up dozens of machine gun toting mercenaries, pterodactyls dart all over the screen pecking and biting everything in sight, and big, lumbering CGI beasts fight each other and destroy every last peanut brittle building around them. Sound familiar? It's the kind of Call of Duty-esque sensory bombardment that can be loads of fun to watch while you're there but doesn't leave the lasting impact of truly great action.

So it is with Jurassic World. The movie is big, bright, and fun, with lots of action and good special effects. It pleases crowds. But as with most big budget crowd pleasers, it comes with dull characters, brain dead plotting and booming CGI overload. Jurassic World left me with the exact same feeling I got after seeing Jurassic Park 3. Both movies are serviceable summer romps, full of dino-action and great visual effects, but there is simply a noticeable dip in the quality of the production. Jurassic World successfully mines from the franchise name a good B-caliber FX spectacular. For dumb summer fun, it works. But there was a time when Jurassic Park aspired to more than dumb summer fun. Steven Spielberg's first two movies had class. They grappled with ideas, they were intelligent, they showcased real filmmaking, and they were genuinely thrilling. Jurassic World is colorful and entertaining, but let's be clear, when it's all said and done, nothing beats Spielberg.

49 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unrealistic and a Horrible Mess
rkoch125 February 2016
Let me just start by saying, I don't think this movie deserves a score of 1, but I had to rank it that low because currently the score is a gross misrepresentation of reality. This is not a movie which deserves to be compared with all of the great cinema masterpieces mankind has made.

I just watched the semi-new Jurassic Park movie and I must say, I thought it was very, very stupid. I hate the trend in modern movies where everything bad that happens is always caused by people being stupid and doing stupid things. Like literally people making 10-20 Darwin Award ideas every movie. Literally in this movie, there is a big "Super T-Rex" dinosaur which is running around, and someone thinks that the proper move is to release a bunch of smaller Raptors to go hunt it down... like... what the hell...? You MUST be kidding. Raptors are PREY for T-Rex. It is a smaller predator which presents ZERO threat to the T-Rex, but MAXIMUM threat to humans. No human being who doesn't have a permanent retard helmet strapped to their head would have ever made that "executive decision". That's as stupid as sending a bunch of hunting dogs to go kill a Lion which is on the loose. Or a bear or something. And we are all little furry bunnies or something, so the dogs could easily just kill us for fun anyways. It is obvious that Raptors are only effective at killing small, human-sized prey... it just makes no sense. It is nothing but FRUSTRATING for the viewer, we're sitting here frowning and saying to ourselves, "nobody would EVER do that!".

Anyways, MAJOR PLOT decision by the producing team... and it was a total disaster.. They should have gone back to the white board and came up with another plot idea.

Another thing I hate are those STUPID ANNOYING scenes where everyone is running and frantically screaming in fear all around you, but the main characters are just standing there talking to each other like nothing is going on, just having a little chit-chat while there's dinosaurs running around, and people dying. Or when the two boys were running away from the T-Rex and then they got to the edge of a waterfall, but instead of jumping without hesitation like any normal person who is about to die would have done, they turn to each other and say "Are you ready to jump? Let's do it together, OK? On the count of three, one... two... THREE, JUMP!" Seriously, F that scene. That sh*t pisses me off so much.

Stuff like that just makes a movie seem silly and stupid to me. I can't get "drawn in" where I feel the tension, and feel like I'm right there experiencing the adventure with the characters. Instead, I'm constantly reminded that I'm watching the product of mega-producers and corporations, who think the general population is only interested in special effects and explosions and beautiful people saying stupid lines. I remember watching the first movie, and as the final scene was closing and they were flying away from the island, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief, because I felt like I had JUST BARELY escaped the same dangers as the main characters had. I felt like I was there the whole time. But when I finished the newer, more "modern" JURASSIC WORLD, I felt zero emotion, absolutely nothing as the movie was ending. Instead, I just thought to myself "Well, those were some really cool special effects, the movie sure had a large budget!" In order for a movie to be captivating and really give the viewers a unique experience, you must mesmerize them and put them in a trance where they forget they are watching a movie. All those STUPID, HORRIBLY UNREALISTIC lines, actions, and mistakes made by the cast throughout the entire movie do nothing but slap me on the face each time it happens, only to remind me that I am, in fact, watching a movie.

I would watch the first original Jurassic Park movie 10 times before I watch Jurassic World again! >:[
80 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another piece of modern trash.
marbl-11 November 2017
There is a young, handsome (I suspect), super skillful man, a charismatic guru. There is a young, pretty woman, a bit retarded and limited in her interests, often career-oriented. Monsters comes, people die, only a handsome superhero can save a day. A girl changes her shoes and/or shirt and becomes a superwoman in about 30 seconds, instantly gets expertise in gymnastics, combat, weapons handling, strategy and kills monsters together with a handsome guru (although the monsters had no problem with killing 1000 heavily armed troopers. Or maybe it is all that eating that made monsters slower?).

The above is a screenplay for most of action/adventure/SF movies during the last 5-10 years. Doesn't matter if it is a new episode of Star Wars, or Jurassic Park, or Aliens, or some Passengers, or Interstellar - there are some superficial, cosmetic changes, but when I watch it all I can see no differences. It can be set in a jungle or in space, the clothes differ, the monsters can be humans, maybe there is a slight change in the roles played. But there is never any depth, no real personalities, no emotions, no basic logic. It is just colorful, fast, shimmering and loud. Am I getting older? Perhaps. If so, I am really happy and proud that I am not young if it means that I would have to have a brain capable of enjoying such a crap.
73 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 3 is generous. Dull, cliche ridden, hackneyed, predictable, stupid
tomntempe11 February 2018
Dull, cliche ridden, hackneyed, predictable, stupid and those are the reasons I give it a 3 instead of lower. The characters do predictable stupid things over and over.. Is there danger? Yes so RUN OUT IN THE OPEN instead of going inside. As the dino's are attacking we see people running OUT of buildings right into the path of the toothy dinos.

And of course there is ALWAYS an SUV, or Quad right at hand when our hero's need one... keys in it of course... yet all the screaming people have been running right by them rather then jumping in and driving the hell away.

Yes, it's a movie but can't we keep at least some reality of physics in dino stories. It is NOT possible for ANY flesh and blood animal to swing it's arms and tails around and smash thru huge concrete columns and turn them to dust without doing massive damage to their own body. Yet time and again the arms and tails go swinging and knocking down multiple foot thick concrete stuff.

And really, you are going to take out these dinos with assault rifles? Of course the assault rifles are worthless but someone did have the sense to bring ONE grenade launcher with them which blows up dino's just in the nick of time. And of course we wouldn't want to give away our position although we do shine laser gun sights right at the dino which would lead them straight back to where the gun holder is.

How on god's green earth this movie gets 10's is beyond me. Even if you ignore the stupidity, etc it is SO predictable that there is not a moment of suspense in the whole thing.
37 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice film)
BiiivAL7 June 2018
Twenty years ago, people decided to play with evolution and resurrected long-extinct species. The amusement park, where the main attraction was dinosaurs, was to be a hit, but became famous for its tragic deaths. After a while people decided to give a lucrative idea a second chance, and here appeared the "World of the Jurassic period", offering visitors an unforgettable family vacation. But how much safer is it than its predecessor?

Return to the big screens of great and toothy was just a matter of time. The story was too good to leave her alone. Inspired by a new life entrusted to director Colin Trevorow, who himself is a big fan of dinosaurs. He decided to show how he could bring the insatiable and out-of-control desire of humanity to be constantly entertained. In pursuit of money and new impressions, they bring out a new species, never before stepped on our planet. What can go wrong?

The characters of the film, especially as for those who work in such a dangerous amusement park, where accidents happen all the time, are mostly too careless and narrow-minded. The owner of the island does not know at all what is being deduced in his laboratories, the security system operates only when the animals behave decently, one wants to write down as a matter of fact the wild raptors to serve in the army, and children can easily escape and during an alarm to stay alone on the field among dinosaurs, because the employees of the attraction are too busy saving their skins and incompetent to the limit. And what to do, when a huge dangerous predator of a new breed escapes, nobody knows at all.

Well, that on the island works a certain Owen, who almost only understands that dinosaurs are living creatures, not toys. Chris Pratt's play here is pretty plausible, especially its interaction with the raptors. In the light of rumors that he might become the new Indiana Jones, it was nice to see him in a similar image, which he is very much following. The Pratt company is Bryce Dallas Howard, for whom this is the next vivid role after the "Servants". She has her own moments and potential, but it feels like the writers specifically held her back so that she did not become equal with him, preferring to keep her heroine in the shadow of Owen. By the way, the only actor from the original was BD Wong, who again embodied Dr. Henry Wu.

"The world of the Jurassic period" is clearly aware that it is simultaneously the continuation of the original, and the restart of history, which should breathe new life into the franchise. To the very original, creators reacted almost with sacred trembling, references to "Park" are found throughout the entire film. There is even a character-geek performed by Jake Johnson, who seems to be the embodiment of the fandom.

Steven Spielberg, of course, put his hand to this continuation of his prehistoric brainchild, but only as an executive producer. Together with Trevorow and the huge team behind the creation of this blockbuster, we are going to an island where many would like to visit, despite the deadly danger in its cages.

The dinosaurs themselves on the screen impress with their realism. When raptors appear, it's like seeing old and almost kind friends. With them, there are a lot of great moments, in particular their communication with Owen. Their joint pursuit, depicted on the poster for the film, is one of the most exciting moments of the franchise. But the most impressive episode is the final battle of dinosaurs. I was delighted with who the writers were instructed to save everyone from the new predator. The original is always steeper than any remake.

Continuing 2 hours, this adventure will not let you get bored and will please the dinosaur lovers, who opened their mouths with surprise and delight at viewing the "Park". The plot of "Peace" is based on the idea that formed the basis of the original: people played in the gods. Heroes again create what they can not control, and then pay for it. It would seem that it is time for mankind to learn from its mistakes, but, judging by the history, we often do them again and again. And the creation of dinosaurs is far from the most serious of them.

Crossing the types of the most dangerous dinosaurs, it is worth to be prepared for the fact that family rest on such an island will turn into a chase for survival.
174 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great 3D movie
mmcgee28221 October 2015
This film combines the stories taken from king Kong and The lost world,25 version.Bryce Dallas Howard Plays a Bitchy corporate executive ,who can't get with her nephews on Christmas holidays ,played by TY Simpkins and Nick Robinson, that her sister has sent them for visit,played by Judy Greer.Bryce works for a huge corporate amusement park that focuses on dinosaurs.Bryce can't make time for her nephews,so they wonder on their own.She a a troubled working and personal relationships with a dinosaur trainer and activist play by new movie star Chris Prat.Though owner and designer of the a park Irrfan Kahn ,who is more concerned about people having fun than how much profit has increased.Chris has a problem working relationship with Vincent.Vincent believes that the dinosaurs should focus on killing each other ,but, Chris believes they should be trained for peace.Well, there is one dinosaur that was create artificially ,for a new part of the park ,to be open soon.I call him T.Rex Kong. A problem arises he not following instructions and eats another dinosaur .All hell breaks loose when he jumps the wall and terrorizes the customers the customer of the park making a nice meal out of some of the worker and security guards .The dinosaurs were so realistic and were digitally created . Earlier Jurissic Park had used some puppets .The movie is made in style of an amusement park .It seems that the character development is shorter for the sake of the action.In some out takes that was shown ,flat, indicated that may be some of the shots should have been kept of the character development.It was not even.Did you see the little old fashion camera that the smaller nephew was carrying?could indicate Hollywood dislike towards home digital cameras?Chis originally did a you tube joke about him getting a job in Spielberg's next Jurassic movie .I think it was you tube.His dreams came true. Another problem was that the characters and the whole atmosphere of the movies and sets were cold and stoic.Even the kissing scene was cold and the family reunion scene,which Claire's sisters husband was played by Andy Buckley, was also not warm..E.T ,Poltergeists and Star Wars was far more Warmer.What's the problem?I am afraid it's a real world currently problems in general.Hollywood has always pretentiously serve the establishment ,for profit,then claims they serve the masses.This movie reflects our phony liberal side of big business and the wealthy running our government and exploiting the animal rights and environmentalist ,who are desperate for a quick answer to protect animals and the environment as well a s fanatics and those who have a contempt against the human race ,due to constant warmongering ,for profit and political power.This reflects pitting animals and the environment against humans ,very subtle, in this film,but,this is an outer problem.In spite of this it is an excellence film,Gorgeous sets and realistic dinosaurs ,Bryce in her 1970's hair do,which has become popular again and handsome leading man Chris Pratt.I was certainly satisfied with this movie.Both 3D and flat were good. The sound was arousing and excellent .No out of synchronizing problems here,since both images are in a folder stabled .Great for Dino fans and 3D fans. 10/21/15
199 out of 305 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Nostalgia is real
reshikyrm29 October 2015
Jurassic world is the #1 movie in America. This movie deserves the right to be called back especially with all the money it earned especially in the first week it was out. It's been 14 years since the last time I saw Jurassic Park. I never would have thought that they would be making a Fourth one and when I heard they were making a new one I was ecstatic. It brought back all the memories of the first 3 films. When the day came for Jurassic World to open it had to go see it on opening day and I did. The movie gave us the same feeling Jurassic Park 1 did "Welcome to Jurassic World". The new park looked amazing showing that John Hammond'so dream finally came true. The music was more amazing than ever, the original Jurassic Park theme was re-prised to show how much thing had changed in 14 years. The main attraction of this movie was the Indominus Rex and hybrid of T-Rex, Raptor, cuddle fish, and Tree frog and terrifying intelligence. At the end of the movie we get to see the original T-Rex from the first movie roar for the last time after the park was closed for good. This movie brought back so many memories for so many people. I can't wait for the next one.
193 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bleah
antonioborrani3 January 2016
A dull monster movie without ideas, with all the imaginable problems: recycled soundtrack from the previous three film, poor visual effects (the '93 film was indeed better even under this aspect, and that says it all), horrible "dinosaurs" that look more Godzilla than "true" animals (and yes, it's a very serious problem that these animals don't look or/and act as real animals, at least as they're conceived to be in XXI century and not in '40s), badly-written dialogs (with a sort of "love story" that is embarrassing), characters (dull not to say stupid) and plot. All this problems all in once, and without any decency. To conclude there are the two boys, the most boring and annoying characters in the Hollywood's history.
69 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you're looking to sit on the edge of your seat for two hours, welcome!
happycheese5314 September 2015
First of all I think people need to understand that film is a lot like music, you can't listen to a new Justin Bieber song and complain because it's not a Mozart masterpiece. And you definitely can't watch Jurassic World expecting a mind-boggling, emotional Inception type film. I would put Jurassic World in the same category as most Michael Bay films, the story line won't make you think, the characters won't go through any psychological changes but you will be thoroughly entertained by the special effects. I think it's fairly obvious throughout the original trilogy and this film that we are the visitors to the attractions, Steven Spielberg gave the parallel Earth a new unimaginable attraction, one which surprised the audience so much, it's rated as one of the best films ever. Period. Fast forward twenty two years past the films of Interstellar, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, we as a human race have seen a lot of original, unique things, a plain old dinosaur film will not bring us the same thrills as it did in 1993. Therefore we are once again, the visitors to the attraction. We will never feel the same buzz as first seeing that T-Rex crashing the gates over, or the same chill down the neck when first hearing that Raptor shriek. However, we can still be entertained. Which is what happens throughout the film. The characters are fairly bland, there are only a couple likable ones, but they all seem to grow on you near the end, the bloodbath that is left by the new Dino is quite emotional and gives you a side to pick fairly easily, the surprises throughout the film keep it exciting and the special effects, well we are in 2015 and they did have a lot of money to spend so lets just say they are incredible as expected. If you're looking to be on the edge of your seat for two hours and trust the film to not bore you, then you have nothing to worry about, the line graph representing excitement just climbs up and up, if you're expecting another Shawshank Redemption, well please don't slate the film when it doesn't satisfy your needs. I think that films should have two ratings, one for overall, and another for it's main sub-category, for example as an overall film I'd give it a 7.5-8, it's sub-category of excitement I'd give a solid 10, a comparison to the first Transformers which I'd give an 8 for excitement and a 5 overall. Therefore I really do recommend this film for anyone who like me, enjoys special effects, good excitement and two hours to just sit on the edge of my seat and thoroughly enjoy my time. I can only say I can't wait for the second one and I'm sure you will too after you watch it.
294 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Megacraptor Rex
j_a_newton30 October 2015
Two decades after the original Jurassic Park, the company behind it is overcome with greed and decides to capitalise on the dinos once again, but since everyone has seen Whatevertheirnameis-sauruses by now, they need to create new monsters to keep the "Wow" factor up.

So it decides to produce the movie Jurassic World, in which, two decades after the original Jurassic Park, the company behind it is overcome with greed and decides to capitalise on the dinos once again, but since everyone has seen Whatevertheirnameis-sauruses by now, they need to create new monsters to keep the "Wow" factor up.

It's either an irony of fate or a sly jab at the ever-fossilising motion picture industry that the storyline of the film and the narrative of its conception are so strikingly similar. And I'm afraid I'm not inclined to thinking it was intentional.

As ridiculous as the premise of the film is – fill Dino Island with people, let a number of scary ones loose, and then indulge in blood and screams and make sure the obligatory two lead kids get away in the end, where on Earth have we seen that before? – as poorly written the script is. Apparently, the first draft only took three weeks to throw together. I'm surprised it didn't happen in three hours. Loose ends are dangling all over the place like severed sinews from consumed tourists, the archetypal characters are nothing but a poor joke of the ones in the original trilogy (geeky and untidy computer nerd, lone hero scientist who understands that life doesn't follow spreadsheets, greedy business execs who want to make money from the monsters, and lo and behold, the Nasty Military Man who wants to weaponise them, et cetera ad nauseam), and when characters actually have to TELL each other to "RUUUUUUUN!" instead of standing still, waiting to become a quick snack, palm goes firmly on face, at least for this reviewer.

You're-a-sick World indeed. Could someone please apply a suitably large nuclear bomb onto Isla Nublar, so that we won't have to endure a Jurassic 5.
65 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Top Review is Shill Nonsense
jpeterseni4 December 2017
This is NOT a good movie.

IMO this is the worst of all of them. The plot is nonsense. The CGI is over the top and takes you out of any kind of immersion.

The ending is predictable. The characters are bland. There isn't much you can redeem from this movie.

I guess some of the ties to the original location is alright. Jake Johnson is cool
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is no 7 star movie!
grayhoodred13 April 2017
**** This Review May Contain Spoilers*** I ordered this movie because IMDb showed a 7 star rating. I don't understand how this movie could have deserved a 7. A new dinosaur has been created that is so smart it removes a tracking device from it's own body so that it can't be tracked. It tricks the handlers into thinking it left its cage by lowering it's heat signature. I fast forwarded the last 1/3 of the movie because curiosity got the better of me. I had to see how the script writers were going to dig themselves out of this one. Flying dinosaurs are loosed but the story ends without resolving this little fact. Driving a motorcycle among Raptors, which apparently have been programmed to work with the protagonists. Bad script and bad acting. Don't waste your time.
56 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its a Jurassic World after all.
JDheart2 June 2015
The 4th film in the Jurassic Park series and the second sequel that Steven Spielberg did not direct starts off well enough with enough call backs to the first film of the series but quickly turns into a monster movie with a run away super killer dinosaur that was spliced by the DNA of other prehistoric creatures for the sake of selling extra tickets. If my description of the plot Is pretty simplistic,it's because the story is that simple. So forget the dangers of science morality tales that both "Jurassic Park" and "The Lost World" gave to it's stories and just accept that the series has become a standard creature feature that just swaps out it's main monster for every new installment. The last film in the series "Jurassic Park 3" pretty much threw away the whole plot lines of the first two films just to give us a chase film with a dinosaur that was never even seen in "The Lost World" and that film was set on the same island. While "Jurassic Park 3" just went on a painful 90 minutes long montage of talking raptors, horrible scenes of family bonding and an visible annoyed Sam Neill looking like he's about to go postal on the people working on the film set, Jurassic World manages to be a hell of a lot more enjoyable experience for the viewer in terms of just trying to inject a sense of plot and continuity to this other wise creature feature.

As a standard creature feature, the movie works well and gives you your money's worth of dinosaurs doing collateral damage to property and personnel with the occasional park visitor being killed for good measure. Throw in your slack jaw good guy ( Chris Pratt) who feels that the creatures are misunderstood and works with good guy dinosaurs(I Kidd you not) to help stop the super killer dinosaur. Throw in an human adversary for our hero to fight with ( Vincent D"Onofrio) who would blow the whole island up to get this monster and add an human element like two lost children who are related to a employee at this crazy theme park who by the way has the hots for our hero and you have the entire story right there.

It's hard enough to keep a franchise going, especially when you're dealing with dinosaurs walking the earth. You will eventually hit a wall in terms of storytelling if your primary goal is to keep turning these films out with out any care what so ever. We saw that with "Jurassic Park 3" where all the plot points from the previous two films were abandon for a B Movie creature feature. "Jurassic World" tries hard to correct that by having the movie be about something a little more and try to connect itself to the first film of the series. And Its much better film for it but it still ends up a creature feature all the same.
462 out of 771 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nod to the original and even more
alexander-rumpf12 June 2015
As a young boy, dinosaurs were the greatest thing on earth (well, the greatest thing that once WAS on earth) for me. I knew most of their names (like Gray in JW) and had my plastic dinosaurs fighting themselves, evil, and sometimes also good. You can imagine my excitement when I first saw Jurassic Park and I was truly blown away by the idea. I still somehow wish that I could actually experience the events in the movie, although I understand the critic that the author of the novel, Michael Crichton, wanted to express. Much of that critic is lost in the third sequel to the original movie, 22 years after its original release, at least it's hidden very deep in the plot. The scientists have created a new super- species, filled the missing pieces of DNA up with genes of amphibians that all have certain survival-powers, and it all goes terribly wrong, much because the dinosaurs are being underestimated as they always were. So is it a reboot of the first movie? At least a bit. They are referring to the first movie all the time, examples: A control guy wearing an Jurassic Park shirt proudly says he got an original shirt (shown in part 1 several times) for $150 from eBay, they run through degenerated original buildings and one time the kids even drive an original van that they repaired competently. New park-owner Masrani says that John Hammond told him on his death bed to "spare no expense", which was one of the funniest scenes in the movie, yet Masrani doesn't want to commercialize the park too much. That's where the movie starts being perfectly self-ironic: one control guy (the one with the classic shirt) jokingly suggests, in order to please the investors, to name newly bred species after companies, "so how about Pepsi-Saurus"? The movie indeed is full of product placements, I counted at least 9 brands and logos that are shown or mentioned during the film. So what is the purpose of the movie? Mainly, I guess, it's meant as a nostalgic, yet up-to-date experience/excuse for all those fans who were bitterly disappointed by the Parts II&III. It's exciting, contains a little love story, it's got wit, social criticism and excellently animated dinosaurs. It shows that 22 years after Jurassic Park, movie heroes are still being chauvinist and women are still stronger and braver as they are pictured in most (other) movies. And, finally, it fulfills every fans biggest desire: man and dinosaur, at last fighting side by side. That's probably why I'd give it an even better rating than the original Jurassic Park movie, although of course classic scenes like the shaking water glass will probably never be outperformed. Résumé: Director Colin Trevorrow manages to create an enthralling and visually stunning homage to the original which at some points brilliantly steps out of the shadow of its role model and finally puts the conciliatory end to the dinosaur universe that we, the fans, truly deserved.
203 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash. A waste of everything that a movie should actually be.
eyeintrees21 October 2015
Much like Jurassic World, this load of junk was created purely to rake in the dollar.

Apparently it's OK to show the world... AGAIN... live goats waiting to be eaten, pigs going to be ripped to shreds by teams of raptors and people being torn to pieces, but when a dino dies the violins begin and the female lead trots around a dinosaur paddock in 6 inch heels and a cream suit, suitably panting and puffing, chest rising, falling, splayed on the ground, all vulnerable and waiting... I was wishing so hard that the Rex would eat her... it might have saved the entire load of nonsense.

The usual totally stupid script, but at least the first movie was original, the second annoying and the third intriguing... this movie is just terrible repeat, repeat, repeat... gosh, even down to a cell phone incident... wow... not a single original moment, the usual interchangeable Hollywood actors that I'll never remember and loads and loads of stupidity and artifice. Garbage. The one redeeming feature is for about 5 seconds you get to see astoundingly beautiful nature. First time I've loathed Vincent D'Onofrio and I never thought I'd say that. The other actors could have been pulled straight out of Days of our Lives, complete with faces that did not move a muscle, even when in a state of supposed terror. Who willingly makes this kind of utter trash? I hope this is the last one. Leave the dino's where they belong, in the past!

Totally forgettable and moronic waste of time. Thank goodness I didn't pay for the DVD and thank goodness I borrowed it and was able to give it back, flying across the room.
110 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does not deserve the hype it gets
liabilityman31 August 2015
I am giving this title a 1 in an attempt to bring down the score that it does not currently deserve.

This movie had its cool moments, but mostly just dumb.

Way too many special effects and just unrealistic scenarios.

e.g. At one point a woman in high heels is outrunning a T-rex. Remember in the original Jurrasic park the T-Rex was chasing down a Jeep at top speed!

No spoilers but the ending is terrible and cheesy.

Chris Pratt is pretty much just an extra in his own movie.

It's a shame that it got so much hype that they are already planning the sequel.

I am glad I got free cinema tickets when I saw this and didn't pay any money.
37 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really fun ride and I'll certainly watch it more than once!
camrondore21 June 2015
A really thrill of a ride. The Indominous Rex was a really cool idea and handed well. A lot of action and storyline. Most characters developed well and the last scene was a peach! However, there were some faults but they didn't destroy the film in any way, shape or form.

The park was introduced in a very modern way and the teenager was like he would be, on his phone when there are dinosaurs!!! Staring at girls of course while queuing for the Gyrosphere was also very relatable.

Glad the Trex animatronic came back...and didn't die because that would have disappointed me as it would have been a Jurassic Park 3 repeat. Though my jaw-dropped at the awesomeness that was when the Trex and Velociraptor fought together against the I-Rex. Seriously a really good film and (in my opinion) competes for the best of the four films.
136 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
minaluka297 June 2015
I am a huge fan of the Jurassic Park franchise, it's my favorite franchise, my life revolves around it and dinosaurs. I was very nervous for Jurassic World, because it had been so so long since we've seen them back on Isla Nublar (22 years to be exact). This made me go into the film as a mainstream film fan, so I could really tell if this was a good film or not, without being bias. I was amazed by how much this film makes you feel like a kid again, it has the exact amount of nostalgia to please the fans of the franchise and enough new material to appeal to a younger audience who maybe haven't seen the first three films.

First of all, the cast which this film possess is used to great effect, with the most notable being Chris Pratt, his character Owen Grady is the perfect blend of Alan Grant and Ian Malcolm, making him likable and very quirky in how he behaves around his Velociraptors and people in general. Bryce Dallas Howard's character breaks the conventions of a female character in a film of this genre, she takes control of situations and you feel that she isn't a girl to run away from danger...apart from running away from the Indominous Rex, which I don't blame anyone for doing so. The supporting characters in the film also help it to come alive and make you think this is a real park with real lives at risk, especially Vincent D'Onfario in his role, he plays it magnificently and you can feel his tension yourself and finally Nick Robinson and Ty Simpkins as the kids in peril aren't as annoying as Kelly in the lost world, so that's an improvement to take note for.

When the first trailer for Jurassic World was released, way back at the end of November 2014, people were starting to get very worried about the effects in this film and how they will improve from the first film, the same with the use of animatronics in this film. Well my friends and fellow fans, the CGI in this film are brilliant to look at, even though some scenes you can tell it is from a computer scene, the rest you couldn't tell the difference, they used the animatronics in scenes where they were necessary which has a lot of sentimental value for the film which was a nice touch. Most people thought in this film the Tyrannosaurus would play a minor role like it did in Jurassic Park 3, but the way they utilize the old girl is brilliant, she is amazing to look at and she even has the scars form the fight with the raptors from the first film, you cannot make the T-Rex have a small role in this film, especially when she's the poster girl for this magnificent franchise. It will be hard to make Jurassic World 2 better than this one, but here is to hoping!
149 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Graceful, popcorn filled thrilling and tense, taught and energetic. This trilogy gets much better as it goes on.
deventhakkar28 September 2015
Successfully expands from park to world. Truly, it's a Jurassic world after all. Even though Steven Spielberg didn't direct it, he's still the executive producer. The visuals were thrilling and spectacular and so was the plot line. As the time passes on, the visuals get more artistic and realistic. This trilogy series never wears out it's welcome, I wonder what they will think of next… Jurassic Space? I hope this film continues to receive critical acclaim as it's a dazzling popcorn thriller and it's emotionally and visually exciting.

I think in the fifth film, there should be dinosaurs in space or the dinosaurs are attacking aliens. The CGI gets better as the years go on and it successfully replicates and in some ways improves the behaviours of the dinosaurs when they react with humans with the dinosaurs violent behaviours sure to thrill the entire audience!
183 out of 303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst
jafdip19 March 2017
This movie is notable for being by far the worst of the series. The miscasting of the central characters is hilarious, and the screenplay is pretty much a lesson in how not to write a script. Bryce Dallas Howard is utterly wasted as Claire Dearing, a wickedly self indulgent and criminally irresponsible character who aroused such a sense of revulsion in me that I spent the rest of the movie hoping something scaly would chew her head off. It was not to be - but more than that, she triumphs, the lesson being that psychopathic bad behavior carries no consequences. There is also a farcical attempt to make her the love interest, again utterly at odds with her character. And as the for the rest, occasionally some good action sequences, too many people who looked like they just time warped out of the 70's, and generally a sour feeling at the end that I just wasted a couple of hours out of my life that will never be reclaimed. See it, but understand it for what it is - second rate garbage.
50 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the Park
K_ash1030 November 2015
It's been awhile I think that I have labeled a film "a thrill ride" but seriously though this film was a real thrill ride. It takes place about twenty years after the events of the first film. There is now a functioning theme park on the original island. They get thousands of guest and they have tons of money making attractions. But then the people who run the park get a little greedy wanting to make more money and bring in more people so they create a new attraction, one that is more dangerous and scarier then the T-Rex. This film was fantastic. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard lead this film very well almost as a good as Sam Neill and Laura Dern did in the first film. The kids as well Nick Robinson and Ty Simpkins did a good job. Colin Trevorrow also was a great choice to helm this film and he did a fantastic job directing. Now yes this film was a sequel and a great one at that. It's been a long time since I have felt that a sequel is just as good as its original. This film to me is really good and just as good as the first film. The special effects were great and one of the best parts was the music. I have been a Jurassic Park fan since I was a little kid and this is actually the first of franchise that I have seen in theaters as well. So this was definitely an amazing experience for me and hearing that original score in this film literally gave me goosebumps.
176 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorite movies of all time.
josiahliljequist23 June 2015
I was coming into the movie with very high expectations and came out with the movie exceeding my expectations! Jurassic World is now one of my favorite movies of all time. The action sequences are intense and plentiful. The special effects are top notch. The music is wonderful(and not just John William's famous themes; Michael Giacchino's score is excellent as well.) And while the characters may not be as developed as in the original Jurassic Park, they are interesting in their own right. Chris Pratt does a great job as Owen, the raptor trainer, and Bryce Dallas Howard does excellent as Claire, the head of the park. One of my favorite "characters" though is the underwater dinosaur Mosasaur. (Every time it jumps out of the pool it's freaking awesome!) Even though a lot of people have called this movie predictable, it had a lot of twists and turns that were surprising, especially the ending. Without spoiling it, the ending sequence is one of the most epic endings that I can remember in any movie. The ending will give any true Jurassic Park fan chills.
140 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another watchable instalment
Figgy66-915-59847017 June 2015
17 June 2015 Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - Jurassic World. Let's just say I'm a BIG fan of these movies, right from the minute we saw Sir Richard Attenborough clutching that cane with the amber head, I was hooked. I don't care that it's fiction and highly improbable, what matters is that these films take me to another land and in many ways another time.....65 million years ago to be precise. To be honest there wasn't anything terribly new in this film, two children, a rugged hero type, a woman running around in her high heels and a man with an alternative agenda. What we did get however, was dinosaurs on our side, and I love that. As portrayed in the film, the public want bigger, scarier attractions and a film going audience in a sense want that too. In this film however, we got more of the thinking man's dinosaur and a gaggle of well meaning people whose intentions were good but misplaced, a a couple of characters who really need to get eaten. I watched it in 3D, and I'm selective about the films I watch in 3D these days, but I have to say I was pretty darn good. Wouldn't mind watching it again......oh and Chris Prattt.....yum.
118 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved It
xsophietaylorx16 June 2015
People really are too serious these days, Jurrasic World is a fun exciting thrilling film and a I really enjoyed it a I feel like I've waited almost all my life for another Jurrasic Park type film to be realised and I'm so happy they did! All these negative reviews are actually sad what did people expect? The film is obviously going to be slightly similar to the others there's only so much you reasonably can do. Anyway I loved this film I literally cried at the end everyone in the cinemas was clapping clearly we all enjoyed it. I'm a die hard fan of the jurrasic parks and maybe because I loved all the other films so much this was just brilliant it brought me back to my childhood made me remember why I loved them films so much there so exciting and entertaining and it makes you feel all the emotions. This is what I want when I go to see a movie I want to feel the emotions I want to be excited. I mean I literally haven't stopped talking about this film since I saw it. I love Jurrasic World, best film in ages.
132 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.