Four Christmases (2008) Poster

Can't spell "families" without "lies"
Smells_Like_Cheese1 December 2008
Four Christmases starring Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, I suppose I can accept it, just very strange seeing them as a couple on screen together. But anyways, every year we get a Chrismas movie, it's either going to be fun or really bad, sorry to say, but Four Christmases is nothing special, another year with an easy to forget movie. But still while this movie doesn't really stand out and it is incredibly predictable, there are some really fun moments. We at least finally have the split up family vs just one crazy family. Reese really turned on the charm and stole this movie, she was so adorable and she was great in the jump jump scene with the evil kids. Vince had some moments as well, but it's more the supporting cast that was just a fun addition to the story.

When upscale, happily unmarried San Francisco couple Kate and Brad find themselves socked in by fog on Christmas morning, their exotic vacation plans morph into the family-centric holiday they had, until now, gleefully avoided. Out of obligation-and unable to escape-they trudge to not one, not two, but four relative-choked festivities, increasingly mortified to find childhood fears raised, adolescent wounds reopened...and their very future together uncertain. As Brad counts the hours to when he can get away from their parents, step-parents, siblings and an assortment of nieces and nephews, Kate is starting to hear the ticking of a different kind of clock. And by the end of the day, she is beginning to wonder if their crazy families' choices are not so crazy after all.

I would recommend Four Christmases just if you wanna see a cute holiday movie in the theater this year. Vince and Reese had good chemistry and this movie just represents the craziness of having to go to all the families every year for Christmas. There are some really good laughs here and there, I loved the scene where Reese played the Virgin Mary and Vince was Joesph in their church play and Reese just gets stage fright and freezes while Vince just makes a fool of himself on stage. Over all this is a cute movie, there's nothing special about it, but it's worth the look.

72 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have Your Christmas Cake And Eat It Too
Parks26 December 2009
Sigh. Another potentially funny Hollywood comedy hits the skids when it encounters a message. The message here seems to be, "Families Are Hideous And Awful, But Everyone Should Be Forced To Have One". No, I don't understand the logic of that either.

The families are made up of 4 sets of familiar comedy archetypes - the yokels, the interfering women, the religious kooks and - um - the fourth set who the writers couldn't be bothered to make interesting or unusual. I suppose you can't blame them for losing interest - I know I had.

Phoned-in performances and a faxed-in script result in a charmless, pointless holiday film. The only good thing about it is the charisma of the leads, and a funny appearance by Jon Favreau. But seriously, you would be better advised to watch National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation again instead.
42 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain bad
jcb16319 December 2008
Sophomoric humor, disjointed plot, obnoxious delivery, lack of direction, and poor pacing married to a feeble attempt to intertwine a serious philosophical issue throughout its unbelievably contrived and stilted storyline (the issue was whether or not to bring offspring into the world, but by the end you have come to have so much disdain for the main characters that you are practically screaming, "Please, don't breed!" by the time they do). Overall, just a superbly painful movie to sit through.

Further, it was most disheartening to see a stellar collection of supporting actors (Duval, Spacek, Voight) wasted in a horrendous vehicle such as this one. My recommendation is that if you can watch it for free . . . you will still have paid too much. This is a Christmas movie quickly destined for the post-Christmas gift exchange department.

On a brighter note, my wife hated it more than I did.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible Movie.
alexanderreznikov30 December 2009
Just watched this movie few hours ago. It was like a shocking therapy. This has been one of the most bad movies I have ever seen. No plot, no idea, no "healthy humor". Only sick sex jokes and pregnancy subjects. The movie is not about Christmas: it has nothing to do with Christmas. The movie is about a girl (Witherspoon) and a guy (Vaughn): the girl finally decides that she wants to get pregnant. No use to describe movie here: those who want to watch it, don't fall asleep. I watched the movie and now regretting that I wasted two hours on that. It is not surprising: Witherspoon can't play anybody else but pregnant girls or silly lawyers; Vaughn - it is still a mystery why he agreed to do this movie. Awful. 1/10.
24 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give this garbage a wide berth
lwaha10 May 2009
This is without a doubt one of the worst movies of 2008. The movie suffers from the lack of chemistry between Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon. It's the core of the movie and we never believe in them as a couple. We drift through the movie from one embarrassingly unfunny scene to another including a sequence where Vaughn's brothers, who are Ultimate Fighters attack him, an attempt to put up a satellite dish where everyone and everything falls over. More pitiful scenes follow. A reenactment of the nativity scene is presumably added to pad this garbage out and just when you think things can't get worse....they do! The final 10 minutes goes for soppy sentimaentality with the couple's 'relationship' which is totally out of keeping with this surprisingly mean spirited 'comedy'. It doesn't matter since we never believed in them as a pair to begin with. This train wreck is ended when a baby, for the second time, projectile vomits over Reese Witherspoon. An unbelievably awful film.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mean-spirited and offensive
firstalittlebackstory26 November 2009
Brad and Kate, an urbanite unmarried couple with no plans to tie the knot or ever have children, are forced to visit their respective families after bad weather grounds planes and keeps them from going on their yearly tropical Christmas vacation together. And so we the audience are treated to nonstop cruelty, violence, profanity, and humorless mockery of the Christmas tradition for the rest of the film.

When Brad and Kate aren't being attacked, vomited on, and belittled, they're bickering about their increasingly deteriorating relationship, which is maybe not as solid as they thought. There is some funny dialogue, and the fish-out-of-water classism is amusing at times. But a few witticisms once in a while can't make up for the rest.

Four Christmases had potential; as a concept, it makes sense. Nearly everyone can relate to dysfunctional family comedies, and with four families in the mix this movie could have been hilarious. Instead, it's relentlessly cruel. If the script had been tempered with any kind of warmth, love, or holiday spirit, perhaps it would have been a Christmas classic. Unfortunately, the writers saw fit only to mock Christmas and Christians both under the pretenses of making a Christmas movie.

That the filmmakers loathe Christmas and everything it stands for is evident in every scene. That they expect their Christian, or Christmas-celebrating audiences to laugh along with their pathological hatred of the holiday and its higher meaning is absurd. The cast is indisputably talented but their skills are wasted on this charmless, unfunny bore. What a shame.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If the crew that made this movie made "It's a Wonderful Life", George Baily would have been trapped in the bad version of the town of Hill Valley for the whole movie.
fkozmet19 December 2009
This movie is unwatchable.

With the impressive cast, this movie promises to entertain, but instead annoys and disappoints. You at first begin to dislike the scenes, and then as it goes on, you begin to dislike the characters, and as it goes on further, you begin to dislike the actors, even if you've liked them in other movies. The movie is so bad, that it makes even the movie house popcorn taste bad.

Even after the movie moves on to a watchable scene, the reappearance of a minor character from a dreadful scene brings back the feeling of dread and spoils even the watchable scene. And as a Christmas movie, it has as much charm as listening to a tone deaf singer work their way through all your favourite Christmas carols. You find yourself hoping that you're able to suppress the memory of this movie when Christmas does come around.

Bah, and humbug.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snappy Comedy Touches Smothered by Hollywood Overkill in Standard Holiday Fare
EUyeshima26 November 2009
This rudely rambunctious, intermittently funny 2008 holiday comedy is a supreme case of Hollywood overkill along the lines of Jay Roach's "Meet the Fockers". Running a scant 89 minutes, it stars no less than five Oscar-winning actors in the standard cookie-cutter story of a commitment-phobic couple who are forced to visit each of their four divorced parents on Christmas day. Co-written by first-timers Matt Allen and Caleb Wilson, along with Jon Lucas and Scott Moore (who co-wrote "The Hangover"), the premise shows promise with Kate and Brad, a pair of self-satisfied, upwardly mobile San Franciscans meeting for what looks like the first time in a bar. Their sharp-tongued banter turns out to be a role-playing fantasy since they are three years into their comfortable relationship. A major fog blanket rolls over the city and ruins their plans for a holiday vacation in Fiji. What's worse is that they are caught by a local news camera at the airport. Because they deceived their families into thinking they were traveling overseas to help starving third-world children, they embark on a daylong journey to each of their parent's houses, all conveniently located in the Bay Area.

However, the movie starts to decline precipitously with each visit. The first home the couple drops by belongs to Brad's redneck father, where his other sons, cage-fighting brothers Denver and Dallas tackle Brad with painful wrestling moves. It ends with an uncomfortable gift exchange where Brad's expensive gifts humiliate his blue-collar family. The couple then visits Kate's overly affectionate mother and a den of cougars, an episode in which it is revealed Kate had a childhood weight problem and a possible lesbian past. Brad's therapist mother is next on the itinerary, but he's still angry that she married his best friend, who is half her age, and a game of Taboo reveals the communication gulf that really exists between Kate and Brad. The last stop is at the home of Kate's father, and this is where the tone gets serious-minded as the couple learns a lesson in the value of being with family in spite of whatever personal differences may exist to divide them the rest of the year.

Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon - he with his semi-improvised riffing, she with her exacting intelligence - would seem to be absurdly mismatched, but they spar convincingly, even if they do look more like best friends than lovers. Vaughn gets to shine in a Christmas pageant scene where he basks in the limelight of his ham-fisted stage debut. Robert Duvall, Mary Steenburgen, Sissy Spacek, and Jon Voight play the parents with little screen time, and only Duvall leaves much of an impression as an embittered shell of a man. Jon Favreau, Tim McGraw, Carol Kane, and Kristin Chenoweth gamely play various relatives in equally smallish roles. The whole venture is directed by Seth Gordon, whose only previous feature-length credit is the critically praised video-game documentary, "The King of Kong", and his storytelling inexperience shows in the sometimes ADD-level pacing of the story. The 2009 DVD, being released for the holidays, doesn't offer much in terms of extras other than two different screen formats.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly Surprised
Robert_Scott27 November 2008
To be fair, I should explain right away I had no intention of seeing this movie at all not to mention Vince Vaughn hasn't done anything very good like Swingers and Made in some time (to me, Wedding Crashers and The Break Up were just O.K.). In fact, the bitter taste from last year's disappointing Fred Claus was still present when my girlfriend said she wanted to see this movie tonight. Of course, I cringed at the idea while mildly protesting but eventually gave in with the prospect of secretly indulging in an unspoken "I told you so". Only kidding, that thought never crossed my mind...

Anyways, I didn't even really know what this was about before seeing it but it didn't take long for the plot to be outlined after a pretty funny scene at the airport. Basically, after 3 years of avoiding spending time with their families on Christmas (remember, you can't spell families without "lies"), Kate and Brad find themselves in an unfortunate situation this year that forces them to spend Christmas with their divorced parents and very dysfunctional siblings. This concept could go either way for me because I really liked Christmas Vacation but disliked The Family Stone. Fortunately, just as it started out great this continued to be more like Christmas Vacation all the way through with several laugh out loud funny dialog and various slapstick that had the whole theater roaring with laughter. One of my favorite parts was a Nativity play where Vince Vaughn effectively delivers some hilarious over the top scenery chewing that had everybody in stitches... well, except Kate.

As funny as I thought this was, it wouldn't be a real Christmas movie without delivering some sort of constructive message among all the chaos. Since I can empathize with Vaughn in his situation with Kate, the film's resolution probably had more personal impact for me. I can also understand the criticism that most of the talented cast was wasted in comparison because the family situations were not addressed equally. What I liked the most about the film's brief serious turn is it wasn't syrupy while providing some genuine touching moments thanks to the believable acting skills of Reese Witherspoon, Vince Vaughn and of course the two screen legends, Bobby DuVall and Jon Voight. Best Christmas movie I've seen since Bad Santa and yes, I will listen to my girlfriend's suggestions without being such a Scrooge from now on:)
70 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has about as much Christmas spirit as a Friday the 13th film - although the horny characters are still present.
c_p_c8 December 2008
It's been a while since Hollywood gave us a genuinely good Christmas movie worth seeing. If you notice, the Christmas TV line-up is the same each year and the most modern film usually on the list is THE SANTA CLAUSE (1993). This just goes to show that, sadly, Hollywood isn't creating Christmas classics as it once did. Perhaps one of these years we will get a Christmas film reminiscent of the ones we love to watch on TV every year, but this ain't that year - or at least FOUR CHRISTMASES isn't that film.

The problem doesn't lie within the film's premise, but in the actual events that play out in the film. Kate and Brad live life with and for each other and that's it. They don't have much contact with their families - where each parent is divorced and some remarried - and each Christmas opt for a tropical vacation, telling their families they are doing charity work instead. All in all, they are happy with each other, but have buried their family issues. However, this year they get caught in their lie and are forced to visit each parent individually, celebrating a total of four Christmases. In the hands of an able and creative script writer this film could have been quite enjoyable as both Kate and Brad learn to appreciate their families and not exclude certain things - mainly marriage and children - in their lives just because their parents are bad examples of them. Instead, each visit with a parent seems to be a drawn out slapstick or sex joke and nothing else and is just not in any way funny or clever.

The film suffers from a lack of intelligence and it is shocking that it attracted the star power it did. The star's talents are hardly used and instead the film opts for over-sexed relatives, ultra violent brothers and insanely disobedient children - who get no reprimanding for their actions. As a genre of film that almost lends itself to families this one missed the mark and is not recommended for the kids. As an adult-geared Christmas film it just isn't funny. Adult humor can be funny and appropriate if there is other substance backing up the film - see 'KNOCKED UP' or 'FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL.' All we are offered in FOUR CHRISTMASES is one boring and uninspired vignette after the next with paper-thin character development and uninteresting characters.

With rarely an enjoyable moment and an atmosphere that provides almost no Christmas spirit, FOUR CHRISTMASES shouldn't be on anyone's list of holiday films. It is the awkward gift given by a relative. You know the type. It comes in a pretty package, but upon opening you find that it is a pair of underwear or a sweater that is designed to sit at the back of closets. This film surely will.
56 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Movie Ever!!!.
Lois_Geraghty19 December 2009
This has got to be the worst movie ever made!!!. Reese Witherspoon sleep walks her way through this movie and hardly ever makes eye contact with Vince Vaughan!!. Vomiting babies and siblings trying to wrestle each other just don't do it for me!!. I must admit Vince did try his best to make some humor but was terribly mismatched with Witherspoon. They had zero chemistry and it looked like Witherspoon at times just wanted to run off set and never come back!!. I just don't get why she keeps making comedies as she is so much better at Drama and is a good actress as proved by her Oscar and other awards she has won. I say don't waste your money on this it is an absolute stinker!!.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bounce Bounce and Baby Barf
ferguson-628 November 2008
Greetings again from the darkness. Vince Vaughn is starting to remind me of what Woody Allen went through ... "I liked his funny movies". Just wasn't a fan of "Wedding Crashers" or "The Break-up", but I certainly recognize his comedic talents. Here, his quirks play a little better, though I never really bought off on he and Reece Witherspoon as a couple.

Low expectations, a strong cast, a few clever lines, easily relatable family strain, and a true sight "gag" make this one enjoyable enough. The trailer gives away the set-up of the film as Reece and Vince are forced to visit all four pieces of their disjointed families on Christmas. For some reason, director Seth Gordon ("King of Kong") casts Robert Duvall and Sissy Spacek as VV's parents and Jon Voight and Mary Steenburgen as Reece's. The curiosity stems from the age difference between these actors ... a 15-16 year span. Just struck me as odd. Though not quite as odd as Jon Voight offering parental advice. Now THAT is comedy! Despite the hi-jinx, the messages abound: we all have the weirdest family, it is never easy to really connect with another person, and it's always a good time for cheese whiz. This is really VV's film as Reece has little to offer save for the bounce bounce scene. Mr. Vaughn is truly at his best in the moments of rapid fire dialogue as he helplessly tries to avoid another ridiculous situation.

One warning to parents: the film is rated PG-13 and there is a segment regarding the Santa secret, so be forewarned. The unwritten rule is broken. The quick lines and uncomfortable family moments make this one worth a few giggles. Not a Christmas classic, but a decent comedy.

I must mention the tribute to the classic "A Christmas Story" as the kids peer into the toy store window early on. That scene is followed by the airport scene, where the ticket agent is played by none other than Peter Billingsley, a grown up Ralphie from that movie (and producer of this film).
31 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Four Chrismases without a hint of Christmas
Neenee-b29 November 2008
After last years foray into Christmas movies with the comedy without the comedy Fred Claus, Vince Vaughn is back this year again with another festive attempt - Four Christmases with Reese Witherspoon.

The plot involves a couple Brad (Vaughn) and Kate (Witherspoon) as they struggle to spend Christmas Day with all for of their divorcée parents.

No matter the logistical problems of visiting four equally quirky parents the most unbelievable part of the whole movie was believing that the cuddly (fat if you are not a fan!) Vaughn could pull a girl like Reese Witherspoon but oddly enough it did work and there was some chemistry there despite set grumblings that the two did not get on very well.

As with all comedies chemistry is important but so is the comedy. Vince Vaughn is a known to stray from the script and when this works it is hilarious but when it doesn't it truly fails. His one memorable scene and in fact the only laugh out loud scene in the whole movie is the nativity scene.

I would give the movie 5/10. It was released well in time before the main Christmas Films in order not to completely bomb at the Box Office.

The movie was good but I would wait a year and rent it next Christmas. It is the Christmas comedy which forgot all about the Christmas...and the comedy.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good For Completely Destroying Christmas Spirit
marcbudgell71728 December 2008
Where to begin on this one. I didn't really have high hopes for this one, as the commercial made it look really boring, but I got forced into going. I figured hey, Vince Vaughn is awesome, he will probably make it bearable. Yeah, he didn't.

For starters, he and Reese Witherspoon have no chemistry. Their relationship is annoying and they aren't likable characters who you can cheer for. The whole movie is packed with big name actors, but there isn't a single one who is likable, and it makes it really difficult to care as the movie drags on.

Finally, the most painful part was when they let Vince Vaughn just talk incessantly, especially in the later stages of the movie. I loved his rambling style in other movies, but in this one I just want to reach out and slap him.

Avoid, there really isn't anything good about this movie.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
O Come all ye faithful...for four times the garbage
Simon_Says_Movies8 January 2009
O come all ye faithful. That certainly seems to be the attitude that studios have at the holidays, sputtering out yearly Christmas flicks and luring all the little 'children' to their theatres made of gingerbread…no matter how god-awful that movie may be. Those thinking that Four Christmases must be four times the fun of a normal Christmas movie, are about to get a truckload of coal at their front door, because you'll receive nothing but four times the pain, four times the tripe and four times the garbage.

2008 marks the second year in a row a Vince Vaughn yuletide film has met the silver screen. I will not claim to have seen Fred Claus but I can honestly not envision it being any worse, and if it is then all those involved must simply hate the holiday season. Ironically it truly is the films gimmick that is its greatest determent. Of course if the film had been remotely funny then this would have been an asset, but being forced slog through two hours of atrocious slapstick and mean- spirited comedy is not how I wish to spend my valuable vacation time. With such talent involved, the absolute failure of Four Christmases is all the more lasting and if not for Vince Vaughn who gets the films only (and very, very few) laughs, the Grinch himself would have loved it.

Following the only clever scene in the film in which Brad (Vince Vaughan) and Kate (Reese Witherspoon) meet in a bar (although not to the end which you may expect) they plan their annual holiday trip down south for sun, relaxation and as an added bonus an ocean between them an their families. But following heavy fog in their home city of San Francisco their flight is delayed, and thanks to a pesky reporter are featured on the news, which of course their families are watching. Thus begins the hilarity, with the duo visiting each of their four divorced parents including Brad's father (an awful Robert Duvall) his professional fighter brothers Denver (an awful John Favreau) and Dallas (Tim McGraw) and his mother (Sissy Spacek). And on the other side, Kate's mother (Mary Steenburgen) her baby loving sister Courtney (Kristin Chenoweth) and father (Jon Voight, who adds the only gravitas to the film). As the couple hops from home to home their relationship is put to the test. Will they learn the true meaning of family?

In its wholeness, Four Christmases is really a spiteful and mean- spirited film where all the characters do, is fight. Kate and Brad fight, Kate and Brad fight with their families and their families fight amongst themselves, and I for one don't want to be watching material like that around what is supposed to be a joyous time of year. They openly avoid their families and their families really want nothing to do with them. Not a single person in this film seems like a real person and never encounter problems or family quirks that might hit home (and really people, if it does, take your family to see a shrink) in addition to having no characters which are in any way likable. I mean this truthfully, after the first Christmas I was ready to leave, and the same slapstick surfaces again and again like the appetizer you accidentally dropped in the egg nog at an open house; Baby spittle scenes, UFC takedowns and crude sexist jokes seem to make up this films backbone.

A few times throughout Four Christmases the quip "You can't spell families without lies" appears. If this is what the Christmastime spirit is going to embody in the future of Hollywood, then you might as well just shove the ol' tannenbaum in the trash right now, which coincidently, is exactly where this piece of dreck belongs as well.

View all my reviews at Simon Says Movie Reviews: www.simonsaysmovies.blogspot.com
15 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What gives with the two Reese Witherspoons
news-597-2552761 December 2009
While we were watching this movie, and Lord knows it was God awful, we noticed in several scenes later in the movie, that Reese Witherspoon had a body double in several scenes. After watching it, it was obvious it was not the real Reese Witherspoon. Different facial expressions and different hair, absolutely was not Resse Witherspoon. I am ashamed I wasted over an hour with this non funny attempt at humor. Terrible says it best. It starts off with this lovey dovey mess where they spend all their time telling people how great not being married is, how wonderful it is to live without kids. They progress on to telling a story to others on how good it is not to be married. From there they lose a flight and have to spend time at their 4 parents for a Christmas with each one of them. It has two or three funny lines in the whole movie. Reese Witherspoon having an acting double in several scenes, made the movie that much worse. It was so obvious.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Four Christmases (2008) **
JoeKarlosi9 December 2009
Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon are Brad and Kate ... a couple who are so happy with their relationship that they don't ever want to spoil it by getting married. Besides, both of them are children of divorce and thus they're in no hurry to tie any knots themselves. So after they've fornicated before the credits (always suitable for a Christmas movie), they decide they'll skip Christmas by going to Fiji, but give their parents some b.s. excuse every year about traveling to help orphans ("You can't spell 'families' without 'lies' ", Brad rationalizes). When it turns out all airline flights are cancelled due to fog, their problem is made worse when they're interviewed "live" at the airport by the news, and their families see them. So they have no choice but to make four trips in one day to visit each of their divorced parents on Christmas. All the families in the film are weird to one extent or another -- Brad's two brothers are wrestlers who beat him up mercilessly; his dad (Robert Duvall) is a redneck ol' cuss. His mom (Sissy Spacek) is now shagging her son's younger best friend. Kate's mother (Mary Steenburgen) is sex-starved. Jon Voight is in there somewhere as Kate's pop. I could go on, but the point is that there's a good deal of crude and toilet-type humor on display here (a lot of babies with projectile vomiting, for example) and not that much of it is humorous. Doesn't feel very "Christmas-y", either. I always thought the idea of Christmas movies is to want to re-view them annually each year with the family as tradition. But why anyone would want to see the majority of "holiday" films of this decade over again is beyond me. ** out of ****
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute movie but interesting editing or lack thereof..
motherlee200113 December 2008
My friend and I saw this movie tonight and did get a few laughs. We really liked the cast and thought overall the movie was "cute".

We both noticed how Reese Witherspoon's hair kept "changing".. In the same clip the camera would be on her and her bangs would be straight and side-swept. Camera goes to Vince Vaughn. Camera goes back to Witherspoon and her bangs are fuller and covering her forehead. The color would change from scene to scene. It was bizarre. We laughed more at the hair issue than the movie itself. We wondered how many others in the audience noticed. It was really obvious.

Clearly we are easily entertained... ;-)
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Four too many Christmases
ArthurMausser9 December 2008
The movie has all of the potential to be a great comedy classic, but it seems to have to much Vaughn influence in the writing. Jon Favreau should have taken more control in creating this movie because his character was the best and funniest and we all know he can write a screenplay. Vince's shtick is getting really old and I didn't find him funny at all, Vaughn is becoming very very predictable.

Reese Witherspoon is withering and her cutesy faces are not so cutesy anymore. Her lines are humorous but she is not. Robert Duvall, Mary Steenburgen, Jon Voight, and Sissy Spacek have solid performances. Duvall was hilarious.

However, since Favreau & Duvall have minor roles in this movie, this movie is weak in the laugh department.

Usually, I tell people to wait for the movie to come out on DVD or HBO. In this case, don't buy it; if you miss it on HBO or Showtime, TBS or ABC will have it on in 2 years.

Too make a long review short, if you miss this movie, your life and your wallet will have more to give.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cynical Odious Film
wilsonfamily12 January 2009
I always thought that all films had to contain at least one character you could like or at worst empathise with. When a film begins with its 'heroes' lying to their parents I found it impossible to 'bond' with them. This film then spends the bulk of its airtime showing us how awful Witherspoon & Vaughn's families are ,and how little Witherspoon & Vaughn know about each other. The presumed payoff is that they become (partly) reconciled to their families and (we assume) keep them in their lives. It was, therefore, a cynical surprise that the last scene made it obvious that Witherspoon & Vaughn's characters had reverted to type. This film has a 12A certificate in the UK, meaning that small children can see it; it has several unsuitable scenes, including the sex in the toilet opening and Vaughn destroying the Santa Claus story. All in all a romantic Christmas comedy that was neither romantic, nor Christmassy nor funny.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save your money
isewthe-26 December 2008
My husband and I attend a movie at least three times a month and I believe we have a good sense of humor, but this was the most humorless movie we have seen in a long time. I laughed more at the new Kevin James movie preview than I did at this movie. It was so bad my husband almost went to sleep during it. I kept hoping something really funny would happen, but it never did. I feel like Reese Witherspoon was wasted in this movie. I have loved most of her movies, but she should have bowed out of this one. As for Vince Vaughn I keep wondering why he is so popular. Also the scene in the church was disgustingly bad and for those who know the true meaning of Christmas it was an insult.
20 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete waste of money
adnil-217 December 2008
I thought this one had promise.

Yet, I almost walked out in the first 15 minutes to ask for my money back. Unfortunately, I stayed until the end.

This movie was not funny at all. It had bad acting (from people who really should have known better and who, in other films, actually show that they do have some talent - you wonder why they even wanted to associate themselves with this one). It was a waste of my time and money.

I was really hoping for a good Christmas movie to get in the mood for the holidays. This one wasn't it.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of our favorite Holiday movies!
johnhuff-5246125 December 2018
This movie produces non stop laughter in our house! Vince Vaughn does his 'thing' better than ever, while Reese is great playing his girlfriend. The rest of the cast is top notch and a perfect mixture of family stereotypes! You owe it to yourself, if you have a sense of humor about holidays and family get togethers, to see this movie!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dangerously half-cooked turkey dinner.
Otoboke3 December 2008
Ah the Christmas movie, is there anything more fitting and resembling of its subject matter when it comes to big screen adaptations? Much like the holiday season itself however, one can't assume absolute objectivity; Christmas is undoubtedly a holiday that is about family, joy and celebration and yet there are hordes of people who anticipate the ringing on sleigh bells with about as much excitement as a turkey waiting to be put into an oven. Four Christmases surprisingly accommodates this somewhat polarising aspect of the holiday during its initial stages, but then promptly spirals into cliché storytelling for the sake of proving a warm and fuzzy ending to melt the bitter snow in our hearts. What's most surprising however is that the movie's sugary latter half actually works a whole lot better than its former, as director Seth Gordon never quite hits the ball on his intended edgy comedy routines. In the end what you end up with is something akin to a dangerously half-cooked turkey dinner that has its moments and yet fails to satisfy because of the amount of picking you have to do. It's standard Christmas-time affair that will be sure to mildly please those who are into such a thing, but for the rest of us, it's just another thing on the list to avoid.

The name of the game this time around is, yes, you guessed it; family. Well, that, and dysfunction (of course). Four Christmases, a movie about finding out about the real joys of life –which resolve to be not exotic holidays or gifts, but real, honest companionship- never goes anywhere new with what it has to say; if you've seen any number of cookie-cutter Christmas movies, you've pretty much seen this. To its advantage and at times disadvantage, the script penned by a whole array of writers I'm not even going to bother listing does broaden its horizons with comedy that stays true to the sub genre's a-typical formula but branches off with a little more risqué material. As to whether or not the risks reap any rewards is something of a mixed bag; there are moments when Four Christmases is genuinely funny, and the performances do well to get this across, but with far too many misses and an overwhelming lack of such instances, the movie certainly isn't going to have you out of your seat. That of course doesn't mean that there isn't fun to be had here, because there is; this is a feature that is bound to lightly amuse more than cause a ruckus of laughter, and for that there is a certain amount of praise warranted.

Where Four Christmases slips up quite often though lies in the tepid romance that is supposed to be getting some analytical treatment here. The story of Brad and Kate is not a new one; madly in love for three years, the two have been sharing a life of luxury together for a long time now, and yet never really got to know each other in the process. The movie opens with a rather striking sequence that even shows the two role-playing in public as cooked up personas, which is interesting considering how little time they have spent getting to know each other. Of course, this is an interesting premise, but little is done to capitalise on it script wise. When it comes to the performances of Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon, the dynamism and chemistry is just as rigid and dead; there is no believable spark present and no genuine moments of heart-warming romance. In fact, the most believable moments that occur between Vaughn and Witherspoon is when they are at odds with each other; again this plays into the movie's much more engaging comedic edge, but does little to pad out the silliness. On their own, the two thespians provide great performances respectively, but brought together there's an imbalance that never quite allows either of them to connect.

If there's one thing that the movie does get right however, it's conveying the frantic chaos inherent to the holiday, especially when it comes to family celebrations and get-togethers. Of course it's standard fare that has been done countless other times in far greater features, but in amongst the many problems that Four Christmases suffers from, such moments of awkward and often slapstick family confrontations fulfil their purpose of tickling the audience far greater than any of the other lacking elements. For a Christmas movie, it's not bad, but it's not great either; throwing in sporadic comedy and fun with lukewarm romance and lazy plotting, Four Christmases isn't anything new for holiday movie lovers to soak up, but it certainly isn't anything to loose any sleep over either. Instead it simply exists as a throw away for a couple of hours of silly entertainment to lighten the spirits; it may not do its job coherently, but it does so enough to satisfy those that target such affairs.

• A review by Jamie Robert Ward (http://www.invocus.net)
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did this get to be the number one movie in America?
Darkfrog245 December 2008
It's as if these comedians had a bunch of random family-related scenes that got cut out of other things and decided to cobble them together into a movie. It didn't work.

This movie has two good points. The very first scene, which introduces the two protagonists, is sharp and original. The very last scene is neat and funny. Almost nothing in the middle was any good.

The most crippling problem is probably one conversation that Vince Vaughn's character's has with his girlfriend. It's supposed to represent him coming to terms with the issue behind their last fight, but he does so by making a series of sarcastic jokes that are not meant to be taken literally and have no emotional depth. In other words, the scene is trying to tell us that the character can be serious but it's showing us that he can't. It just wasn't well thought out.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.