In a land of living machines, two young ones are chosen to seek the legendary Mask of Light to reveal the savior of all the lands from the dark forces of the Makuta. During the course of their adventure, they will call on the heroes of their people, the great Toa. These Toa, masters of nature's forces such as Fire, Wind, Earth & Water, try to protect the chosen ones as they seek their destiny.
A Hero Will Be Revealed
16 September 2003 (USA)
See more »
Also Known As:
Bionicle: Mask of Light - The Movie
See more »
See more on IMDbPro »
Aspect Ratio: 1.78 : 1
See full technical specs
Did You Know?
The only movie of the first Bionicle trilogy to be centered around half a year's storyline. Its two sequels had to squeeze in plot points of one year's worth of Bionicle story, and as a result, there is a big gap in both of them, with lots of events happening off-screen. Because of this, not many aspects of the story and, more importantly, only a fraction of the characters' character development could be covered. In this respect, this movie is the "cleanest" of the three. See more
There is an editing error when the green Rahkshi attacks Tahu who's lying on the ground: it is standing in a completely different pose and farther away from view in the first frame of the shot. This jarring shift is visible when viewed in motion. See more
Gathered friends, listen again to our legend, of the Bionicle. In a time, before time, the great spirit, Mata Nui, fell from the heavens, carrying we, the ones called the Matoran. We were separate, and without purpose, so the Great Spirit illuminated us with the three virtues: Unity, Duty, and Destiny!
Toward the end of the credits, a sentence written in Matoran script appears. It reads: "No Rahi were harmed in the making of this film". ("Rahi" is a term that refers to Mata-Nui's fauna.) See more
In Germany, the movie had to be marketed towards very young children, and thus many scenes that were considered too frightening got removed. These include:
- Nearly all shots in which the Rahkshi open their head (one notable exception being the scene when the white and black Rahkshi are defeated, which isn't edited)
- Tahu's swords landing next to Jaller
- Makuta creating the first three Rahkshi
- the green Rahkshi's hand rising out of the destroyed shrine
- the brown Rahkshi firing a beam at Gali
- much of the siege on Ta-Koro is cut, including the Rahkshi menacing its people and most of Tahu's fight with the green Rahkshi
- the green Rahkshi spreading poison
- the three Rahkshi flying over Kopaka's unconscious body
- Makuta's eyes floating in the darkness after Takua turns down his offer
- the new Rahkshi defeating Pohatu and Onua
- the poisoned Tahu attacking Gali
- the Rahkshi climbing after Takua in the "chimney"
- Jaller being killed by fear power is shortened, Makuta only says "Fear me" once
- Jaller's death scene is shortened, Takua looking at his body with sorrow is cut
- the Kraata worm snaking into Makuta's lair
- much of Makuta's fight with Takanuva is cut
Followed by Bionicle: Maze of Shadows