The Room (2003) Poster

(2003)

The Movie [0/10] The Experience [10/10] A TRUE CINEMATIC PARADOX!
tom-297919 January 2019
Okay - quality of the movie [0/10] Enjoyability of the movie [10/10]

Total paradox, right?

This is the absolute pinnacle of bad story, bad dialogue, bad editing, bad plot.. I mean, I'm saying 'bad' like there actually is any of these elements within the film. The editing makes no sense, it seems randomly cut with continuity errors, there are lines like 'What's going on with the candles and the music' when there ARE NO candles or music.. The entire thing is absurd. But what makes it truly unique is that it was done entirely seriously, this is not a tongue in cheek production like low budget bad movies that know they are catering to an audience who expect to laugh at the poor effects and story.. No, this man, Tommy Wuseau, honestly, genuinely thought he was crafting his magnum opus, masterpiece of cinema.

Is it good? Absolutely, definitely not.

However - as a movie EXPERIENCE. I watched this with some of my family, warning them it was terrible, but we had one of the funniest, most incredible bonding experiences in cinematic history - As we collectively picked apart every camera angle, wobbly set, insane use of props, costume, music that skips, repeats, continuity, edits, plot and dialogue. There is not one redeeming moment in the entire movie. Even if there is a single well crafted line (there isn't) it would have to be spoken by either a terrible actor or by Tommy himself, who's accent sounds like it was in a European car crash . We all laughed until it HURT, and for that.. I have to give the experience a 10/10. I've never enjoyed a movie more with friends and family more than this one.. EVER.

I head that the experience is similar in theatres that still show this film for precisely this reason. Everybody dresses up as their favourite character, recites every line and throws spoons at the screen every time one inexplicably ends up on screen (it's a lot.. is there a reason behind this 'artistic' decision. No. There is no reason for anything)

There is more and more to notice about this film every time I watch it.. Most recently, how the architecture of the building makes no sense whatsoever. They appear to be on the ground floor, but exiting from the other side causes them to end up on the roof - at night. It's things like this that could inspire a PhD in studying the intricate insanity and entirely non sequitur values of every moment in The Room.

Do I recommend it? Well.. how can I not. Everyone needs to see this movie at least once, after a couple of drinks and with friends. It's even funnier than Weekend at Bernies after taking magic mushrooms.

I almost died laughing from a hypoxic brain injury, unable to catch my breath - narrowly avoiding giggling myself into a coma.

The finest abdominal workout video ever made.
274 out of 283 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like sitting on an atom bomb that's about to explode
brickyardjimmy12 January 2004
I have now seen Mr. Tommy Wiseau's cinematic tour-de-force, 'The Room' three times. With each viewing, 'The Room' becomes more complexly entangled in and inseparable from my own life. I no longer know where The Room ends and I begin. It is, without question, the worst film ever made. But this comment is in no way meant to be discouraging. Because while The Room is the worst movie ever made it is also the greatest way to spend a blisteringly fast 100 minutes in the dark. Simply put, 'The Room' will change your life. It's not just the dreadful acting or the sub-normal screenplay or the bewildering direction or the musical score so soaked in melodrama that you will throw up on yourself or the lunatic-making cinematography; no, there is something so magically wrong with this movie that it can only be the product of divine intervention. If you took the greatest filmmakers in history and gave them all the task of purposefully creating a film as spectacularly horrible as this not one of them, with all their knowledge and skill, could make anything that could even be considered as a contender. Not one line or scene would rival any moment in The Room. The centerpiece of this filmic holocaust is Mr. Tommy Wiseau himself. Without him, it would still be the worst movie ever made, but with him it is the greatest worst movie ever made. Tommy has been described as a Cajun, a Croatian cyborg, possibly from Belgium, clearly a product of Denmark, or maybe even not from this world or dimension. All of these things are true at any one moment. He is a tantalizing mystery stuffed inside an enigma wrapped in bacon and smothered in cheese. You will fall in love with this man even as you are repelled by him from the first moment he steps onto screen with his long Louis the Fourteenth style black locks and thick triangular shoulders packed into an oddly fitting suit, and his metallic steroid destroyed skin. Tommy looks out of place, out of time and out of this world. There has never been anything else like him. Nor will there ever be. The Room begins with 'Johnny' (Tommy Wiseau) and his incomprehensibly evil fiancée 'Lisa' (played by a woman with incongruously colored eyebrows and a propensity for removing her shirt) engaging in some light frottage, joined by, Denny, (played with a deft sense of the absurd by Phillip Haldiman), their sexually confused teenage neighbor who is clearly suffering from a form of aged decrepitude. When Denny, who looks like the human version of Gleek the monkey from Superfriends, says, in a slightly creepy yet playful tone of voice, 'I like to watch!' as Johnny and Lisa roll around the bed in a pre-intercourse ritual revolving around rose petals, you know you are in for a very special movie. After a lengthy lovemaking scene (not to worry if you miss it the first time, they show it again in its entirety later in the movie) in which Tommy's bizarre scaly torso and over-anatomized rear-end are lovingly depicted over and over again as he appears to hump Lisa's hip, we discover that Lisa, for no particular reason, has become bored with Tommy's incessant lovemaking and decides to leave him. Just when you think the movie might lapse into an ordinary, pedestrian sort of badness, Johnny's best friend Mark, a man who's job seems to be to wear James Brolin's beard from Amityville Horror, shows up and electrifies the screen with a performance so wooden that it belongs in the lumber section of Home Depot. Incidentally, Mark is played by Greg Sestero, who, in addition to being described as a department store mannequin, was also the line producer on 'The Room' and one of Tommy Wiseau's five (5!!!!!) assistants on the movie. Lisa forces Mark, amid his paltry, unconvincing protests, to have an affair with her on their uncomfortable circular stairs. For no apparent reason Lisa decides that she is made of pure evil and wants to torture her angelic and insanely devoted fiancé, Johnny. Lisa receives pointed advice from her mother who casually announces that she is dying of breast cancer and then never mentions it again. But Lisa is determined to make Johnny's life a living hell, in spite of the fact that she, according to her mother, "cannot survive on her own in the cutthroat 'computer business'". But not before they recycle the sex scene from earlier in the movie where we get another bird's eye view of Johnny's ludicrous naked body. Denny gets into trouble with a drug dealer. Mark shaves his beard. Tommy gets drunk on an unusual cocktail made from mixing whiskey and vodka. Lisa lies and tells everyone that Tommy hit her in a drunken rage. A balding psychologist appears out of nowhere, offers some advice, then apparently dies while softly falling on the ground in an attempt to catch a football thrown by Mark. All of these seemingly disparate events build up to two cathartic moments. The first is when Tommy expressively yells at Lisa with the line 'You are tearing me apart Lisa!'. You will cheer at this line as you realize that the film has been tearing you apart the whole time. And the second is at Tommy's birthday party where the worst actor that has ever been born plays a unidentified man wearing a silk shirt who utters a phrase that perfectly describes the experience of watching The Room, 'It feels like I'm sitting on atom bomb that is going to explode!' The shocking ending will leave you pleading for some kind of sequel. See this film at all costs. See it twice. Or three times. Or as one kid that I met from Woodland Hills has, 12 times! See it until you can recite every precious line of dialogue this movie has to offer. Let The Room become your new religion and Tommy Wiseau your prophet preaching the gospel according to Johnny. My dream is to someday buy a theater and run The Room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until the print disintegrates. I hope it becomes your dream as well.
2,337 out of 2,555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
quite possibly the greatest movie of all time
aristhetix26 February 2019
This cinematic masterpiece follows the life of an alien attempting to fit in with his human surroundings. the story is told through the aliens perspective, and because his species perceives time and events differently than ours, some of the events may seem confusing to the viewer at first. however, once the viewer understands that johnny is simply not from our world, you can truly understand the turmoil hes in. truly a tribute to modern artistry
179 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Movie....EVER!!!
houndog529 February 2004
OK, that may be a stretch, but I have inside knowledge into the facts. You see, I was fortunate enough to have worked on the film. As I read the reviews here, especially the last one, which I am sure was written by our amazing Director/Actor/Producer/Writer, I felt I had to respond. Having the dubious honor of saying I worked on this film, has also brought with it the responsibility of telling the truth about what happened on set. Apparently Tommy had a lot of money sitting around and decided he needed to make a film. Not being able to decide what to shoot, film or video, we shot both. Side by side. Both cameras on the same head, being operated by one camera operator. We shot almost the whole thing in the parking lot and back storage shed (read- sound stage) of a camera rental house in Hollywood. I got the call to work on the show after they had already tried to start with another crew that ended up all being dismissed. I believe that we ended up being crew 2 of 4. The show never had much organization to it from the start. We were told it would be a 3 week shoot. At the end of 3 weeks we were exactly 1/2 way done. Crew calls were usually 8 a.m. tommy would show up around 10:30 or 11. Because he would take the HD video camera home with him every night, we had no choice but to wait for him. Since we were only in one room or outside the door in the parking lot, we did not have anything to do but sit around and wait every day. When Tommy arrived we would have to see if he was in actor mode or director mode. If he was in actor mode, you were not allowed to talk to him so he could "stay in character." Since he was in almost every scene, he was always in his "actor" mode. This also meant that he could not direct. Noting the huge delays every day and the fact that we were never seeming to get anything done, our wonderful script supervisor stepped up and became the director...at least he tried. One day he had to go off and do another show and asked if anyone else wanted to step up and direct and keep some script notes. When nobody volunteered, I stepped up. I loved it. It was my directorial genius that had tommy bump into Lisa as they were taking the bad guy off the roof! I will also take credit for the now famous line "You are tearing me apart, Lisa!" In the first 10 takes, tommy kept saying "You are TAKING me apart!" As the crew tried to keep it together, I felt I should right the situation and corrected the line. The crew was also instrumental in keeping the chicken line in. "CHEEEEEPPPPPPP, CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEEP!" We begged our scripty/director to keep him doing it take after take. Though the crew ultimately followed the original DP out the door and quit, we are all proud to have taken part in the making of this film. Amongst the film crew realms, we are minor celebrities. "Dude, you worked on that thing?" is a phrase that is often heard when The Room is mentioned.

I have the pleasure of driving through Hollywood every day and still seei ng the billboard for the film up and Tommy glaring at me as if to say, "I telled you I could make movie." For those looking for a photo op, it's on Highland, a few blocks south of Sunset. I know that tommy took out an ad in the trade papers asking "For Your Consideration", I only wished that I could see him on stage accepting an Academy Award. It would be well earned. Rumor has it that he has a vampire film in the works... let's hope so... I only hope I get the opportunity to work on it. I can only hope that The Room becomes a cult classic with midnight showings. I'll put my tux on and bring a football. Perhaps I'll stand up for a Q&A afterward and tell the stories I have so fondly tried to burn from my memory. My other dream is for the DVD. There are 100's of hours of behind the scenes footage out there. The camera for the behind the scenes material was always recording. ALWAYS! It will be awesome to see what took place on our set. I hope he puts it out there. I know I would buy several copies for all my friends and family.

Any questions?
679 out of 777 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The work of a genius Auteur
mrbeasley3 August 2009
Contains Spoilers

The Location - The film is set in San Fransico, as we are reminded several times throughout the film, with good reason. San Fransico represents the city that gave birth to free love - and this is subtly juxtaposed with the theme of the film, that love is not free. Johnny's apartment has a spiral staircase indicating that the path to meaningful congress isn't straight forward, as evidenced by Lisa's liaison on the stairs. The many scenes on the roof top actually represent reaching a higher level of understanding. The transcendental if you will.

The football - the football represents Lisa, a woman who is prepared to be passed from man to man, and indeed those that are not prepared for her suffer a literal downfall. It is symbolism and beautiful metaphor.

The dress - this is Johnny's subconscious awareness of Lisa's true reality expressed in Jungian terms. He is bestowing on her the role of the Scarlet Woman.

The rose - When Johnny places the rose on the bed next to Lisa he is saying " I am replacing one prick in this bed with several pricks" How true he is!

The white car - this is in fact Johnny's white steed. Symbolism for him being the good guy.

The repeated scene - don't believe all you read. The lovemaking scene is repeated, not for budgetary reasons or the actress' dislike of Tommy; rather it indicates that the lovemaking has become boring and literally repetitious.

The Tuxedos - these symbolise Johnny's identity loss and awareness of mass consciousness.

The Psychologist - forsaking the R.D Laing school of thought, he is unable to identify the existential angst of the other characters and after his symbolic downfall plays no further part in their lives.

Chris R - this is in fact a scathing critique of the American Health Care system. Denny is obviously using him to get extra supplies of the Ritalin he so badly requires.

The alcohol - the Scarlet Woman Lisa tempts Johnny away from the path of virtue by intoxicating him with the noxious substances of two cultures - whiskey and vodka, representing the intoxicating combination of their pairing.

The names - Johnny, the 'everyman', a name used in countless films in the 40's and 50's. His everyman status is reinforced by the florists failure to recognise him until he removes that which alters his perception of the world. His sunglasses. Lisa represents 'everywoman'. Notice how the other characters have lovers called Betty and Elizabeth. Claudette - literally 'Claw Debt' - a woman obsessed by her own and others financial situation.

Genetic determinism - Lisa was born out of a loveless relationship and is therefore doomed to repeat such behaviour. Her mother's breast cancer represents the transmission of this through suckling.

The spoons - one is reminded of Heideggers contemplation of the representation of boots in art. The spoons are there for aesthetic rather than utility purposes. This shows that one does not always get 'one's just desserts' ( Get your coat, you're fired - Ed)
327 out of 385 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of chamber dramas
NeelyO23 February 2004
Forget all the three-line raves this movie has received (which all seem to be suspiciously similar in tone). THE ROOM is one of those rare laugh-riots that is so fantastically inept as to border on genius. While most bad movies offer a handful of terrible scenes divided by stretches of just plain dull, writer-director-producer-star Tommy Wiseau's film offers one moment of disaster after another.

Whether it's the made-up-by-fifth-graders dialogue, the deer-in-headlights performances, or the positively icky sex scenes (love those smushed rose petals on the chubby girl's back), you'll be howling from start to finish.

This movie has already amassed a cult of people who know what to yell at the screen and when; for a movie that's being self-distributed, this rates as some kind of crap-movie miracle.

Keep an eye out for the pointless insert shots of San Francisco, which give the idea of time passing even when it doesn't: one party scene, for example, features eight of these cut-aways.

You really can't believe how terrible THE ROOM is, but at least it's entertaining, albeit in ways that the lazy-eyed, odd-bodied, English-mangling auteur never imagined. Not to be missed.
462 out of 558 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
inept
samsavenger16 July 2010
I've never in my life been more entertained by a film that has absolutely NO redeeming qualities. Unintentionally inept characters engage in progressively bizarre and unnatural interactions which seem to peak at erratic and unexpected intervals. The awkwardness of the actors is framed by strange pauses, jarring scripts and incredibly bizarre production techniques - there are ample 'deer in the headlights' moments, in which you can feel genuine sympathy for these people who are obviously so caught up in Tommy's strange and dominating creative control that they've failed to see any better.

Other filmmakers play with similarly surreal concepts - David Lynch for example - but this film lacks anything resembling artistic refinement, insight or self awareness placing it far from comparison. It's kind of like watching a train crash in slow motion - random, incoherent, disastrous, accidental and ultimately painful. The sense of alienation emanating from this film places the audience extremely far from being able to relate to what's happening on screen, which leaves a lot of room for uncontrollable laughter given the right circumstances.

The camera work and production techniques would not be out of place in many daytime soap operas, nor would the script and plot, but there is an undefinable quality which separates this movie from the sense mediocrity often found in such shows and instead casts it deep into the abyss of tragically bad film making where it will be forever trapped along with Wiseau's artistic integrity. This really is a new frontier.

It is truly awful, but I cannot recommend it enough.
219 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Happy Accident
Rogansi6 October 2008
This film is completely worth seeing. A friend of mine recently said it was as if a deer made a movie about human interaction, unable to comprehend what it is to be a human being. It is hilarious.

It is also funny how many people actually see this as a real movie, and take the acting, story, and dialogue seriously. It's a sad testament to the state of intelligence of some, but that doesn't detract from the movies awful redemption.

There was no way this was made as a 'black comedy' on purpose. The ineptness present in ALL aspects of the film could only come about through an attempt to put Tommy's own high-school angsty experiences (probably) on tape. When the reviews trashed the movie, he pulled a Paul Ruebens "I meant to do that". The denial of the films obvious serious beginnings add even more hilarity. Tommy, we are laughing at you, not with you. Thank you for that.
490 out of 597 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tommy Wiseau ranks among the greats...
ilovetommywiseau23 February 2004
Tommy Wiseau ranks among the greats: Spielberg, Scorcese, Griffith, & Welles. In THE ROOM, he has created a piece of cinema that has no parallels. It is a unique piece of artistic greatness.

Let's first discuss Mr. Wiseau's expert crafting of dramatic tension. Denny, the slightly mentally retarded 20-year-old, wants to watch Johnny and Lisa make sweet love. Denny also frequently acts like a brain-damaged Golden Retriever in that he continually wants to play catch with a football, even though everyone only stands 6 feet apart. Denny eventually gets involved with drugs and has to confront the hate-filled Chris-R (and there is no logical reason why the character has a hyphen in his name so don't ask). Johnny nobly comes out of nowhere to provide Denny salvation, and then this plot point is totally forgotten.

The best part of the movie is Mr. Wiseau's acting. He is leagues ahead of other contemporary actors. He is on par with DeNiro in Raging Bull, Nicholson in Easy Rider, and Brando in Streetcar. He delivers his lines as if he IS Johnny, the All-American guy who is trying to stay on the wagon and can't get that promotion at work. He clearly has been well-trained in Method Acting. His Croatian-Serbian-Norwegian-Klingon-Mongolian-Yugoslavian accent is barely noticeable when he delivers lines such as `You're tearing me apart, Lisa' and `I treat you like a princess but you stab me in the back.' You feel Johnny's pain as he becomes a regular MacGyver and hooks up a tape recorder that is able to record for 24 hours straight. His laugh (ha-ha-ha) comes off as natural as can be. When you think JOHNNY, you think All-American guy. The fact that Mr. Wiseau is over sixty years of age and may be on some kind of horse tranquilizer for much of the movie is not an issue.

In the trailers for THE ROOM, it is mentioned that Mr. Wiseau's directing and writing evoke Tennessee Williams, and a truer statement has never been made. You can feel the passion when Johnny transforms himself into Frankenstein and proceeds to destroy his room, moving at a very slow speed. It is as if he is saying to the viewer, `Stella!!' except Mr. Wiseau does not need to say it verbally. He says it through his emaciated skin which has seen better days and through his jet-black hair which is clearly his natural color. Even though the Room takes place in San Francisco, it is as if Blanche DuBois is saying to us, `Johnny, you are a real American, because you play football and say ch-ch-chicken.'

On the musical front, the shifting from a mysterious moody orchestral score to straight-up R&B ably shows Mr. Wiseau's ability to blend different styles musically in order to create a unified mood in his movie. On the sound front, the boom operator clearly did an excellent job as half of the lines in the beginning of the movie are dubbed in later, even though the filming takes place in a quiet room with no extraneous noise.

With regards to editing, Mr. Wiseau deftly uses cutaways to 30-second-long shots from different vantage points in San Francisco. He seems to be saying to the viewer, I hope you weren't interested in the dialogue, because now you will have to sit through 30 seconds of the same shot of the Golden Gate Bridge you've seen 10 times already, before we get back to the dramatic tension you were longing for.

Other attention to detail includes varying dates on how long Johnny and Lisa have been together (5 or 7 years), the switching from the day shots to night shots and then back to day shots on the same day, the fact that all of the men are dressed in tuxedos and decide to play football even though there is no justification for why they should be dressed in tuxedos, and using the exact same shots in the second love scene between Johnny and Lisa that are also used in the first love scene.

Overall, Mr. Wiseau has proven himself to be among the top-rank writers, directors, actors, editors, gaffers, love maker, action stars, and best boys of his generation. He has shown the ability to take any aspect of filmmaking and transcend it. He is able to take monkey poop and turn it into a well-polished turd. I hope to see many more films from Mr. Wiseau in the near future, and I hope that all of them will have Mr. Wiseau acting as well as new and better performances from the guy that played Denny (he rocks!!). To Mr. Wiseau, I say L'Chaim, and let's drink to much greater Cinema to come!!
549 out of 684 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I DID NAAAAGHT! Oh hi, Mark."
cedde628 January 2013
Johnny, a man thanks to whom a bank makes lots of money, did not get his promotion but he's way too busy trying to be American by throwing footballs around at any given opportunity to really mind that. And he's also about to get married to Lisa who's in some computer business of some kind but she's having an affair with Mark, Johnny's best friend, who does not want to hurt Johnny but clearly can't help himself. Danny, Johnny and Lisa's young sexually confused neighbour who has problems of his own somewhat related to drugs and football fetching, doesn't suspect a thing although he's always hovering about and is also in love with Lisa but would rather watch Lisa and Johnny in bed when he's not fetching Johnny's balls. The only person who knows what is afoot between Johnny and Lisa is Lisa's mother who begs her daughter to come to her senses but in vain since no one listens to her and... she's dying... since she DEFINITELY has breast cancer (which is okay since "they're curing people everyday"). Confused? Well don't be...

And welcome to the wondrous world of "The Room". This is a world from the breathtaking lack of imagination of Tommy Wiseau, the least appealing man ever to walk this Earth; a world where people play football in tuxedo, have the same conversations again and again due to their 5 minutes memory, make babies by humping belly buttons in the middle of rose petals and finally enter and exit places without any other reason than to do just that.

Indeed, this is probably one of the worst film ever made but as opposed to any other cinematic turd, this one is hardly ever dull (except for the "sex" scenes maybe), the aimless plot driven through one stupidity to the other by the on-par grammar-school writing delivering gems galore ("I'm so happy I have you as my best friend and I love Lisa so much", "I'm tired. I'm wasted. I love you darling"), the final broth served by inept performances (for want of a better word) from its cast. This is truly the most inspired disaster ever committed to screen.

But what I find the most interesting about the "The Room" is its maker Tommy Wiseau. "The Room" is a window into his confused psyche because make no mistake folks: Tommy IS Johnny. And what are we told about Johnny? Well that "he's very caring about the people in his life", provides for his girlfriend, "is very sensitive", "doesn't drink", "has a very secure situation" and has nice pecs. Quite a catch wouldn't you say ladies? On paper possibly... Because everything about his persona seems phoney: his accent which is a mix of anyone's that ever walk this planet whom couldn't speak English, his over-sized suit, his dark, long and way too greasy hair, his geriatric body posture, his re-shaped and re-muddled face and, above all, his completely dry and humourless laughter (and not in a sarcastic way either). Such a penchant for dissimulation is downright creepy and I must admit, the physical repulsion he exerts on me is the stuff fascination is made of.

The fact that "The Room" has gathered such a cult following is no surprise. In the oh-so jaded times we're living in, celebrating the mediocre, talentless and pointless have become all the rage with the recipient of the mockery confusing infamy with fame. There is something both pathetic and a little unsettling about how Tommy Wiseau regards the cynical interests his movie has attracted for a genuine recognition of his talent.

Mind you, I suppose Mr Wiseau can take pride in the fact that "The Room" will go down in Cinema history. But as what?
165 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than Mission to Mars... And yet, 1000x more enjoyable
ladypade10 July 2003
"The Room", more aptly titled "Inconsistancy: The Laughably Pitiful Time Machine", left me feeling more conflicted than ever before. On the one hand, this is clearly the worst movie ever made. Tommy Wiseau must be a billionaire, because I have no idea who in their right mind would fund this project. The acting is horrific, the plot drops its incomprehensible tangents about as abruptly as they are surfaced, half of the film is composed of sex scenes (one recycled, by the way), and the dialogue is the most unnatural I've ever heard... it's a joke. And speaking of jokes, all these qualities make "The Room" one of the most fun films I have seen in a long, long time. I loved it - it's absolutely destined to be a cult classic. While watching this adorable attempt at capturing reality, I couldn't help but long for the return of MST 3K so they could have a crack at this thing. Fortunately, the audience picked up on my vibes and shouted out jokes and comments sufficient enough for my yearning. I would recommend that every person in the world find a way to see this film because it will leave you feeling that much better about yourself. I mean that sincerely. So long as you have a great sense of humor and don't mind that the characters' only motivation for action is simply their ill-explained personality traits, I guarantee explosive laughter throughout the surprisingly quick hundred minutes. It's like nothing I have ever experienced before. Wiseau's character delivers the line at one point, "You're tearing me apart!!" My sentiments exactly. 10 stars.
285 out of 365 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to decide: should I give this a very low or a very high grade?
domienappelsien5 August 2013
There are a number of "so bad it's hilarious" movies out there but almost all of them are in the sci-fi and horror genres. "The Room" is exceptional in that it's intended as an edgy independent psychological drama. To see a "Plan 9 From Outer Space"-style version of that genre is even funnier! This film is absolutely bizarre. The dialogue is at once very childlike and yet it tries to tackle "heavy" themes like adultery, terminal illness, drug abuse and the like. As a result, it feels like it was written by an alien from outer space. And when you see The Room's protagonist, who is also the director, writer and producer, you'll see that he very likely IS an alien from outer space! It's absolutely unbelievably, jaw-droppingly awful... And highly recommended!
74 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I watched with my mouth open...
d_rockafella22 September 2004
If anyone actually watched this movie and walked out with just the notion that it was a "bad movie" they have absolutely no sense of humor... This movie is not a "bad movie," it is by far the worst movie ever made, and absolutely hilarious... It's not like bad movie hilarious where there's some really funny parts (funny for being bad) and the rest is boring... It's absolutely non-stop... My mouth dropped open and literally stayed that way for most of the movie... The sex scene, the completely nonsense drug dealer side story, the dialogue ("Hi, Doggy"), and best of all were Mark's attempts to stop Lisa from having sex with him ("hey... wait a minute... what are you doing... no, we can't do that")... I'm just happy I got a chance to see it, especially with a crowd of people that also "got it" ... I can't wait for the DVD...
308 out of 408 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tommy Wiseau used me and I am the fool
Smells_Like_Cheese3 August 2010
Oh, wow, um, where do I even begin with this movie? I suppose I could tell you how I heard of it, like most people I heard about this movie from an internet reviewer(the Nostalgia Critic). I honestly would've never heard of this film either, probably would have never seen it. But after the clips I saw, I HAD to see this movie, I went on Amazon.com immediately afterwards and ordered it. Now I knew this movie was going to be bad, but I HAD NO IDEA! I think it's one of those movies that had to be handled in clips because I cannot tell you all the safety precautions you should take before watching this movie. My boyfriend tried to commit suicide while I just wanted to find Tommy Wiseau and do some things that even the Dark One would look at me and say "geez, take it easy on the guy". I cannot even describe how this movie is bad. The acting is like the actors are literally reading the script for the first time. Tommy Wiseau's acting, I don't know if there's a word for how bad it is so we'll just say it's "aguwaba", also it seems his voice was dubbed over. Now I thought this was because maybe he only speaks one language that isn't English, but he speaks with this stupid indefinable accent all the time, so why is his dubbing the same way? Where is he from? Brazil, Romania, France…? I have no idea.

Lisa has become inexplicably dissatisfied with her fiancé Johnny, confiding to her best friend Michelle and her mother Claudette that she finds him boring. Lisa seduces Johnny's best friend Mark, and they begin an affair that continues throughout the film, even as Mark more than once tries to break it off. As the wedding date approaches and Johnny's clout at his bank slips, Lisa gets closer to leaving Johnny for Mark. When Lisa throws Johnny a surprise birthday party, she flaunts her affair in front of Johnny, and Johnny and Mark get into two altercations. Johnny has also attached a tape recorder to the telephone, recording an intimate call between his future wife and Mark. Now that Johnny is "fed up with this world", feeling like he cannot trust anyone, he pulls the ultimate punishment in self loathing to himself but a true gift to the audience.

This movie is just incredible that it was made, I didn't think it was possible to make a film so bad. It's like it's a new genre, just a bad movie. Sub plots get brought up out of no where in this movie and never get brought up again. Characters get brought up and again never mentioned. The script, story, characters, editing, setting, everything was just wrong with this movie. Also Tommy Wiseau's name is mentioned 6 times before the film even begins and his character is of course "perfect" that everyone should just love him. Lisa, who is very odd looking, is constantly called "sexy" which either has a new definition or is ironic. Mark is a doof ball that probably thinks that penguins are fish, because he's just that stupid. Denny is a perverted 15 year old who wants to watch Johnny and Lisa make love and constantly says how in love with Lisa he is and how he loves Johnny. Also there is so many pointless love scenes, football scenes, gift giving scenes, lines, if there was a drinking game on the pointless scenes for this film, you'd die of alcohol poisoning by the end of this movie. I don't know, it is one of those films you have to see to believe, but I can tell you one thing for sure, if Tommy Wiseau thinks we're laughing with him, he should check that we're actually laughing at him.

97 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liberation in Mediocrity
heffay11131 May 2009
There are more than enough reviews of this movie that tell you in wonderful ways how absolutely perfect the awfulness of "The Room" is. What I found terribly interesting when I was brought to a Los Angeles midnight screening of this movie, besides the fact that this damn thing was on five screens at once, is that this movie provides the moviegoer with the rare opportunity to absolutely mock terrible cinema.

I see several movies per year, often from the major studios, that I long to shout at in disgust. "The Room" is terrible to the point that the audience has agreed to do just that. It is liberating and hilarious and downright therapeutic to shout, when a character who has never been established suddenly appears on screen, "Who are you?"

Wiseau shows up at these Los Angeles screenings and revels in what he seems to think is adoration, almost psychotically not in on the joke.

You do not go to "The Room" to see a movie. You go to get even with that screen that promises entertainment and often disappoints. Finally, you get to mock mediocrity. It's enjoyable and liberating. How lucky is Wiseau that he gets rewarded for being awful? At least he is a good sport about taking the abuse.
65 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave your stupid comments in your pocket!
tieman648 June 2010
"I did not hit her! It's not true! It's bulls***t! I did not hit her! I did NOTTT. Oh hi, Mark." – Tommy Wiseau (The Room)

Released in 2003, "The Room" would have faded into obscurity had it not, like most of Ed Wood's films, possessed the right mixture of sincerity, god-awful ineptness, and unintentional humour. Within months the film had become a cult classic, playing in packed Los Angeles theatres to legions of screaming fans.

What makes the film hilarious is Tommy Wiseau, a talentless and egotistical auteur, who wrote, directed, produced, financed and starred in this six million dollar flick. The classic self-important European artist, Wiseau sees himself, not only as a serious actor, but a serious writer and director. He thinks he's written a Shakespearean plot, when in reality this is a childish love triangle. He thinks his dialogue flies like Tennessee Williams, but in reality it is worse than that offered by the Disney Channel. He thinks his direction rivals Cassavetes, but in reality...well, he was so confused, he shot the film on both HD and celluloid cameras, mounted side by side because he didn't know which camera was which.

And yet there is something captivating about Wiseau's performance. His accent is odd, he approaches each word from a strange angle, he puts emphasis on the wrong syllables, he structures sentences in off kilter rhythms, he inserts punctuation in the wrong places and has his dialogue branch off in weird tangents. Listening to Wiseau speak is like watching the English language being re-invented. It should be god awful, but it's strangely interesting. Like David Mamet, his intonations, his verbal tempo, is almost balletic.

Whilst all the actors in the film are bad – soft-core porn bad – Wiseau imbues the film with a kind of transcendent badness. He's not bad, so much as he is unaware of the rules of good. He's so earnest, so confident that his performance, that his art, is the epitome of quality, that his ineptness renders the whole production farcical.

With regards to the film's plot, there are themes of cancer, betrayal, drug abuse, and infidelity, but it's all handled in an awkward way akin to a kindergarten play. At times whole lines of dialogue are dubbed over, often with no regard to the actor's lip movements. Like Ed Wood's "Plan Nine From Outer Space", characters are also oddly replaced by other actors half way through the film, no explanation given. Throw in countless shots of the Golden Gate Bridge, an epically stupid ending, some hilariously badly written dialogue – "Leave your stupid comment in your pocket!", "Chocolate is a symbol of love!", "What kind of money?", "I definitely have breast cancer", "I needed money so I bought drugs!", "I'm fed up of this wur-urld!" - and you have the funniest "so bad it's good" film since Ed Wood.

7.5/10 – Comedy gold. Snippets from this film can be seen at the following links:

As you can see, Wiseau's performance is strangely captivating. He has been described as "Borat trying to do an impression of Christopher Walken playing a mental patient". How apt.
51 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Movie Ever Made
loconne112 March 2018
I watched The Room because of the hype surrounding it since The Disaster Artist was released. I was told going in that it was a terrible movie, but I should still watch it. While some people found how bad the movie is funny, I did not. I felt like I wasted my time watching this movie. I still would have never watched it if the Disaster Artist hadn't been nominated for an Oscar. I am told that if you watch this in the right atmosphere and with the right people, it can be quite an enjoyable watch. This was not the case for me. I am happy to say I watched it, I can understand what people are talking about now, but I wish they would talk about other movies.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In a word: CRAPTASTIC
Debauchee22 May 2004
Possibly the most entertaining CRAP film of all time, beating out "From Justin to Kelly," and every movie starring Steven Segal. Note: you must be in the presence of a large heckling audience and/or under the influence to enjoy this movie. Although Tommy "What the hell am I saying?" Wiseau may be lauding his film as reminiscent of Tennessee Williams, the closest it comes to anything I've seen by Williams is that I had to get up to pee three times during it. Crap writing, Crap acting, Crap directing...but the movie as a whole? So deliciously crap that it can only be considered CRAPTASTIC!

Nobody seems to know where Tommy is from, although the consensus seems to be somewhere in Eastern Europe. So I have decided to consider his point of origin, Ridiculouslovania.

Have we been sending out the wrong signals? Is this really what Ridiculouslovanians think about us? I never stand three feet from my friends and toss a football. Never. Unless I am making fun of "THE ROOM."
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why America Is Still the Land of Opportunity
chevalier4327 April 2019
I will be very brief with this.If you want to share the cinematic vision of a person with Profound Mental Retardation illness and a 6 million dollar budget watch this film.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Outsider Masterpiece
mickmichelson7 July 2006
Perhaps the best testament to the greatness of "The Room" is its utter indescribability, its curiously strong resistance to mimetic, second-hand description. Sure, you can easily sum up the banal, cliché plot, or approximate the mind-bogglingly amateurish acting and the hole filled, insanely convoluted, and just plain weird screenplay. You'll make yourself laugh as you quote choice lines ("Hi Doggy!" "I feel like I'm sitting on an atom bomb that's about to explode!" "The world would be a better place if everyone loved each other." "Oh hi _______!" "Chocolate is the symbol of love." "Cheep cheep cheep!" et al) and mime Wiseau's hilariously awkward motions and slurred cadences ("It's not true, I did not hit her! I DID NOOOOT."). You'll try in vain to convey the sheer weirdness of the incessant football playing, the hilarity of the jogging at the park, the brilliance of Chris R., the beautiful blue-screened rooftop, the horrific sex scenes that never seem to end, the mantra-like, gut-wrenchingly saccharine pop songs that accompany said sex scenes, and the inescapable, mind-erasing voids of Lisa and Claudette's mother-daughter one-on-one's. However, frustratingly for the would-be promoter of the film, these sorts of descriptions do little in the way of actually capturing the genuine magic that occurs when one sees "The Room" for the first time.

After hearing about the film on NPR, my interest was peaked. Soon after, I discovered that there were several clips of the film available to view on Youtube. After watching the rooftop conversation between Johnny and Mark, and an excerpt of the tuxedo-clad football game, I was sold. Living over 2000 miles from Los Angeles, I knew my only option was to purchase the DVD, which retails for about $11 on Amazon. Later that week, I found myself staring at Wiseau's curiously droopy face and preparing, at long last, to watch "The Room." Words fail to describe my experience; I was immediately hooked. Now, several months later, I've watched the film close to ten times, and I can say without hyperbole that it has become more fascinating and hilarious with each viewing. If you're reading this and you're on the fence about whether or not to go to a screening, or to spend the $11-$15 for the DVD, fear not – you will regret nothing. In fact, you'll begin to wonder how you lived for so long without seeing "The Room." Well, what are you waiting for? "DO YOU UNDERSTAND LIFE??!!"
259 out of 388 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
louwburger-6104224 December 2019
I can't think of anything good to say about this movie, other than I enjoyed every single second of it. It's actually so bad that it entertains effortlessly.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Future of Cinema
TheEmperorAndWolf22 June 2004
So it is almost a year now since the premiere of "The Room". Possibly one of the boldest independent movies of the week, it lived up to the rumors. A French Canadian friend of mine named Michael first told me and my brother of this masterpiece. At first I was scared when I was told it was a movie about a man who could barely speak English and was struggling to keep his girlfriend, but there was so much more. There were roses....spoons....and Denny. Tommy Wiseau, possibly the greatest independent,new,director/writer/producer named Tommy to come from Europe in the past year...bar none. Some people have compared him to Tennesse Williams, and I couldn't agree more...his acting is probably the closest I've seen to him since Philip Haldiman. The symbolic usage of spoons in this movie makes me love it even more. The cutaways to the fabulous bridge brings a horrifying yet satisfying theme to this already quirky yet serious yet pornographic movie. I cannot wait to see what movie Tommy decides to do next, personally I don't think he can top this one....but maybe a sequel is in order to this great trilogy or saga of movies to "The Room"...possibly Denny spin-offs. Actors Awesome, Actresses = Worst I've seen in my entire life. Good Work Tommy...we need more filmmakers like you producing your own movies. The Room = 4 spoons out of 4
89 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This cost $6.000.000 to make and "Plan 9" only cost $60,000....Mr. Wiseau needs to take some lessons from Ed Wood.
MartinHafer6 August 2011
Tommy Wiseau...who is this guy? The IMDb biography is pretty scant and his vaguely Eastern European accent is not at all explained. What also isn't explained is how he was able to somehow get $6,000,000 to make this film--as well as HOW it could cost that much to make this movie. After all, none of the actors are professionals (and it shows), the sets look like they are the homes of Wiseau or his friends and Wiseau himself wrote/directed/starred in the film. So where did all the money go?! Perhaps some could have been spent on TVs (see the end to know what I mean). I think most young filmmakers could do just as well with $47 and a HandyCam and chimp actors!

"The Room" seems to have nothing to do with a room. Instead, it's like a soft-core porno film where the camera gets blocked anytime you are about to see most of the nudity. I counted something like 6 sex cenes--3 of which were in the first 25 minutes!! So is the film therefore sexy--God no!! I will be nice and not make any more comments about this--you just have to see the writhing bodies to know what I mean. After all, I'm a middle-aged chubby guy and so I don't have much room to talk. But wait, I am NOT starring in a film...so yes, I can say that they were kind of scary looking--particularly Wiseau. So, if there was an award for least sexy film, this one might win....unless Ernest Borgnine made a porno.

So why has this film become a cult favorite? It's the dialog....and the acting to a lesser extent. It's as if much of the dialog were written by someone with only a limited knowledge of the English language. So often the same catch phrases are repeated again and again. And often what characters say seems very, very random. And, to make it worse, the post-production dubbing is hilariously out of sync at times. Honestly, the dialog in "Plan 9" is no worse--especially since Wood was not trying to make a serious film--whereas "The Room" is deadly serious.

Is it ONLY the dialog and acting? Well, no. The writing is god-awful--inconsistent, with missing plot lines AND the inexplicable need for all the men to suddenly break into a game of tossing the football--even though they are only 3-5 feet apart and even when they are in tuxedos! I can clearly understand why at L.A. showings of the film, crowd members reportedly bring footballs and toss them about during the film! And, the musical dubbing is occasionally terrible. And, the plot is dull. And, there's the problem with Wiseau's character being the greatest yutz in film history--knowing that his girlfriend is cheating on him near the beginning of the film yet continuing to stay with her AND doing the funniest temper-tantrum scene in film history late in the movie (he should have yelled "Hulk SMASH!!!").

By the way, the film says the couple in the film have been together five years and then later in the film it says seven. Either way, considering the age of Wiseau's co-star, she would have been between 11 and 13 when they first became a couple.

Also, on the DVD there is an interview with Wiseau. You must see this--the dubbing was hilarious even for this 'making of' mini-films! Plus it tries to explain the repeated use of footballs in his film! And, he wears a nice suit.

In conclusion, I must quote the film. "Why, Johnny,...why?!?..."
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Room Available
thesar-22 December 2012
No, no, no, no, no, no, NO! The Room is not a black comedy as arrogant writer, star, distributor, producer and obviously blind director, Tommy Wiseau would want you to believe. Heck, it doesn't even have a single black person, much less anything but unintentional humor.

Could The Room be absolutely the worst movie ever made in a World that gave us: Manos: The Hands of Fate? Eegah? Troll 2? Sharp Teeth? Shark Attack in the Mediterranean? Another Gay Sequel: Gays Gone Wild? A Sound of Thunder? Furry Vengeance? Boat Trip? Basic Instinct 2? Good Luck Chuck? Piranha Part Two: The Spawning? Glitter? Remember Me? Stan Helsing? Leonard: Part 6? Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation? All About Steve? Deathbed: The Bed That Eats? Pieces? Paranormal Activity? The Raspberry Reich? Curtains? Axe? Superman IV: The Quest for Peace? Batman & Robin? The Twilight series? Vampires Suck? Any Howling Sequel? Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines? Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan? Jennifer's Body? Plan 9 From Outer Space? 88 Minutes? Beyond a Reasonable Doubt? Lucky You? Jaws: The Revenge? 2012? Empire of the Ants? The Food of the Gods? Jurassic Park III? Halloween III: Season of the Witch? Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers? Halloween: Resurrection? Grown Ups? Year One? The Toxic Avenger? Either I Spit On Your Grave(s)? Blood Beach? The Last Airbender? The Happening? Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare? TV's Viva Laughlin? Saddam Hussein? Paris Hilton? Keanu Reeves?

(Okay, those last four weren't movies, but damn you, World, for those.)

Well, I had to ask myself: Is this really a movie? Is this a joke and I got the wrong "film" that people are talking about?

Believe it or not, I had to consult with a professional critic and he actually confirmed that this is, in fact, a movie. And that he's seen it. And then I heard a gunshot and a loud thud. His poor, poor children.

While he didn't actually die, you'll want to roughly 10 seconds into The Room. Die laughing, perhaps, at its amazing lack of direction and incredibly, there are two men fighting over the director credit: Wiseau (huh. WISEau?) and Sandy Schklair. Hmmm. Would you have fought with Pilate when he claimed to be the murderer of Jesus?

In a "movie" (from here on out, that word will be very loosely associated with The Room) that even the dialogue sounds like it was dubbed à la Rumble in the Bronx, even though everyone's speaking English – if you can call it that, you'll quickly learn what NOT to do. Such as the ever so comical "shots" of San Francisco and the unfortunate Golden Gate Bridge which probably would've asked for a cut if this made more than a tenth of a penny.

Recently I re-watched and reviewed the brilliant The Big Lebowski, and I stated towards the end that it should be actually studied in film school, if not already. I'll say the same here, but obviously at the other end of the spectrum.

You almost feel sorry for the labeled "director" Wiseau, if not for his arrogance – SEE: poster for proof. Ironically, his follow-up was Homeless in America, and if America did have anything to do with it, he would be. But can you really be mad at the guy for this atrocity? Well, if he stayed in the background, and not in more than 75% of screen-time, you might feel some pity.

And his writing? It's as if he was a stone-cold foreigner who watched a lot of American Sitcoms of the 1950s and used an English Translating Dictionary to produce the words spoken on screen. Sure, it's hilarious to hear him, or any of them speak, but it's also sad when someone who apparently isn't familiar with the language, culture or modest enough to hire someone to even take a 30-second peek at the screenplay. Personally, I wouldn't jump over to Paris and write a movie on the life and times of the natives using both a French for Dummies guide and my memory of French class in High School nearly two decades back. Is Paris is Burning already taken? Oh.

The "movie" follows a confused blonde (duh) named Lisa (Danielle) who unsure of her pending nuptials to Johnny (Wiseau.) Who would be when you're about to marry the love child of Gérard Depardieu and Bob Dylan? So…she sleeps around and shows the camera she's not ashamed of her (probably bought) breasts.

That's pretty much the plot. Throw in some laugh-out-loud 15-second subplot of a boy, Denny (Haldiman) who both likes to watch and do daaaangerous narcotics and a mother who looks as confused as George W. Bush without a speech to read.

The actors, unbelievably, took this seriously. I would show more compassion for them, but even with a $1,000,000 scholarship to the New York Film Academy, they'd still fail later on.

I've been told this is a great midnight movie experience, i.e. the astonishingly superior The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Perhaps. But, even at 99 minutes, it drags and my laughter nearly died, from pure exhaustion, towards the end. Fortunately, the SURPRISE! ending brought me back up to laughing hard.

That all said, well…this entire review, I'd still recommend this "movie." How could you miss an opportunity like this? I seriously thought Troll 2 could never ever happen again. Improbably, lightning struck twice. First with a movie that's called Troll 2 that doesn't even involve trolls and now with The Room that's not even about one.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Paradox film
Noimro8 February 2012
There's a special category of films. The 'so bad it's good' category. Films created with the best intentions that ended up so bad that they cross the line of their genres and move to the comedy section. Well the Room is the king of all these films. Written, directed and produced by that alien life form our world known as Tommy Wiseau, the Room tells the story of Johnny a banker who loves his Lisa so much and he's happy that has Mark as his best friend. Lisa by the way is an average looking chubby woman that in the Room's universe is hotter than Megan Fox. Mark is a model looking man that will not hesitate throwing you off the roof and apologize some seconds later. There's also Denny a neighbor/son/retarded weirdo that likes to watch people having sex. There's also Claudette, Lisa's mother who's dying of breast cancer. Other characters you ask? Well we have Chris R. who sells drugs to kids before getting paid, Mike and Michelle, two chocolate lovers (I mean that literally), Peter a psychologist who transforms into Steven and a dog that looks like a frog. Confused? Don't be. Everything makes sense in Tommy's mind.

What make the Room superior to all of the 'so bad it's good' films is the fact that it's (like the trailer said) a riot. You see unlike other films that have 1-2 unintentionally funny scenes and the rest is a bore the Room is a non-stop extravaganza. Literally every scene has something wrong. Every scene has one quote that will stay in your mind forever. Because I forgot to mention that The Room is also the most quotable film of all time. The Godfather? Pulp Fiction? Star Wars? No. Just no. The Room beats the all.

At the end The Room is the worst and best film of all time. It's a paradox film.
44 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.