The Room (2003) Poster

(2003)

It's like sitting on an atom bomb that's about to explode
Brickyard Jimmy12 January 2004
I have now seen Mr. Tommy Wiseau's cinematic tour-de-force, 'The Room' three times. With each viewing, 'The Room' becomes more complexly entangled in and inseparable from my own life. I no longer know where The Room ends and I begin. It is, without question, the worst film ever made. But this comment is in no way meant to be discouraging. Because while The Room is the worst movie ever made it is also the greatest way to spend a blisteringly fast 100 minutes in the dark. Simply put, 'The Room' will change your life. It's not just the dreadful acting or the sub-normal screenplay or the bewildering direction or the musical score so soaked in melodrama that you will throw up on yourself or the lunatic-making cinematography; no, there is something so magically wrong with this movie that it can only be the product of divine intervention. If you took the greatest filmmakers in history and gave them all the task of purposefully creating a film as spectacularly horrible as this not one of them, with all their knowledge and skill, could make anything that could even be considered as a contender. Not one line or scene would rival any moment in The Room. The centerpiece of this filmic holocaust is Mr. Tommy Wiseau himself. Without him, it would still be the worst movie ever made, but with him it is the greatest worst movie ever made. Tommy has been described as a Cajun, a Croatian cyborg, possibly from Belgium, clearly a product of Denmark, or maybe even not from this world or dimension. All of these things are true at any one moment. He is a tantalizing mystery stuffed inside an enigma wrapped in bacon and smothered in cheese. You will fall in love with this man even as you are repelled by him from the first moment he steps onto screen with his long Louis the Fourteenth style black locks and thick triangular shoulders packed into an oddly fitting suit, and his metallic steroid destroyed skin. Tommy looks out of place, out of time and out of this world. There has never been anything else like him. Nor will there ever be. The Room begins with 'Johnny' (Tommy Wiseau) and his incomprehensibly evil fiancée 'Lisa' (played by a woman with incongruously colored eyebrows and a propensity for removing her shirt) engaging in some light frottage, joined by, Denny, (played with a deft sense of the absurd by Phillip Haldiman), their sexually confused teenage neighbor who is clearly suffering from a form of aged decrepitude. When Denny, who looks like the human version of Gleek the monkey from Superfriends, says, in a slightly creepy yet playful tone of voice, 'I like to watch!' as Johnny and Lisa roll around the bed in a pre-intercourse ritual revolving around rose petals, you know you are in for a very special movie. After a lengthy lovemaking scene (not to worry if you miss it the first time, they show it again in its entirety later in the movie) in which Tommy's bizarre scaly torso and over-anatomized rear-end are lovingly depicted over and over again as he appears to hump Lisa's hip, we discover that Lisa, for no particular reason, has become bored with Tommy's incessant lovemaking and decides to leave him. Just when you think the movie might lapse into an ordinary, pedestrian sort of badness, Johnny's best friend Mark, a man who's job seems to be to wear James Brolin's beard from Amityville Horror, shows up and electrifies the screen with a performance so wooden that it belongs in the lumber section of Home Depot. Incidentally, Mark is played by Greg Sestero, who, in addition to being described as a department store mannequin, was also the line producer on 'The Room' and one of Tommy Wiseau's five (5!!!!!) assistants on the movie. Lisa forces Mark, amid his paltry, unconvincing protests, to have an affair with her on their uncomfortable circular stairs. For no apparent reason Lisa decides that she is made of pure evil and wants to torture her angelic and insanely devoted fiancé, Johnny. Lisa receives pointed advice from her mother who casually announces that she is dying of breast cancer and then never mentions it again. But Lisa is determined to make Johnny's life a living hell, in spite of the fact that she, according to her mother, "cannot survive on her own in the cutthroat 'computer business'". But not before they recycle the sex scene from earlier in the movie where we get another bird's eye view of Johnny's ludicrous naked body. Denny gets into trouble with a drug dealer. Mark shaves his beard. Tommy gets drunk on an unusual cocktail made from mixing whiskey and vodka. Lisa lies and tells everyone that Tommy hit her in a drunken rage. A balding psychologist appears out of nowhere, offers some advice, then apparently dies while softly falling on the ground in an attempt to catch a football thrown by Mark. All of these seemingly disparate events build up to two cathartic moments. The first is when Tommy expressively yells at Lisa with the line 'You are tearing me apart Lisa!'. You will cheer at this line as you realize that the film has been tearing you apart the whole time. And the second is at Tommy's birthday party where the worst actor that has ever been born plays a unidentified man wearing a silk shirt who utters a phrase that perfectly describes the experience of watching The Room, 'It feels like I'm sitting on atom bomb that is going to explode!' The shocking ending will leave you pleading for some kind of sequel. See this film at all costs. See it twice. Or three times. Or as one kid that I met from Woodland Hills has, 12 times! See it until you can recite every precious line of dialogue this movie has to offer. Let The Room become your new religion and Tommy Wiseau your prophet preaching the gospel according to Johnny. My dream is to someday buy a theater and run The Room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until the print disintegrates. I hope it becomes your dream as well.
1,615 out of 1,779 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Movie....EVER!!!
houndog529 February 2004
OK, that may be a stretch, but I have inside knowledge into the facts. You see, I was fortunate enough to have worked on the film. As I read the reviews here, especially the last one, which I am sure was written by our amazing Director/Actor/Producer/Writer, I felt I had to respond. Having the dubious honor of saying I worked on this film, has also brought with it the responsibility of telling the truth about what happened on set. Apparently Tommy had a lot of money sitting around and decided he needed to make a film. Not being able to decide what to shoot, film or video, we shot both. Side by side. Both cameras on the same head, being operated by one camera operator. We shot almost the whole thing in the parking lot and back storage shed (read- sound stage) of a camera rental house in Hollywood. I got the call to work on the show after they had already tried to start with another crew that ended up all being dismissed. I believe that we ended up being crew 2 of 4. The show never had much organization to it from the start. We were told it would be a 3 week shoot. At the end of 3 weeks we were exactly 1/2 way done. Crew calls were usually 8 a.m. tommy would show up around 10:30 or 11. Because he would take the HD video camera home with him every night, we had no choice but to wait for him. Since we were only in one room or outside the door in the parking lot, we did not have anything to do but sit around and wait every day. When Tommy arrived we would have to see if he was in actor mode or director mode. If he was in actor mode, you were not allowed to talk to him so he could "stay in character." Since he was in almost every scene, he was always in his "actor" mode. This also meant that he could not direct. Noting the huge delays every day and the fact that we were never seeming to get anything done, our wonderful script supervisor stepped up and became the director...at least he tried. One day he had to go off and do another show and asked if anyone else wanted to step up and direct and keep some script notes. When nobody volunteered, I stepped up. I loved it. It was my directorial genius that had tommy bump into Lisa as they were taking the bad guy off the roof! I will also take credit for the now famous line "You are tearing me apart, Lisa!" In the first 10 takes, tommy kept saying "You are TAKING me apart!" As the crew tried to keep it together, I felt I should right the situation and corrected the line. The crew was also instrumental in keeping the chicken line in. "CHEEEEEPPPPPPP, CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEEP!" We begged our scripty/director to keep him doing it take after take. Though the crew ultimately followed the original DP out the door and quit, we are all proud to have taken part in the making of this film. Amongst the film crew realms, we are minor celebrities. "Dude, you worked on that thing?" is a phrase that is often heard when The Room is mentioned.

I have the pleasure of driving through Hollywood every day and still seei ng the billboard for the film up and Tommy glaring at me as if to say, "I telled you I could make movie." For those looking for a photo op, it's on Highland, a few blocks south of Sunset. I know that tommy took out an ad in the trade papers asking "For Your Consideration", I only wished that I could see him on stage accepting an Academy Award. It would be well earned. Rumor has it that he has a vampire film in the works... let's hope so... I only hope I get the opportunity to work on it. I can only hope that The Room becomes a cult classic with midnight showings. I'll put my tux on and bring a football. Perhaps I'll stand up for a Q&A afterward and tell the stories I have so fondly tried to burn from my memory. My other dream is for the DVD. There are 100's of hours of behind the scenes footage out there. The camera for the behind the scenes material was always recording. ALWAYS! It will be awesome to see what took place on our set. I hope he puts it out there. I know I would buy several copies for all my friends and family.

Any questions?
416 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The "Plan 9 from Outer Space" of chamber dramas
Alonso Duralde23 February 2004
Forget all the three-line raves this movie has received (which all seem to be suspiciously similar in tone). THE ROOM is one of those rare laugh-riots that is so fantastically inept as to border on genius. While most bad movies offer a handful of terrible scenes divided by stretches of just plain dull, writer-director-producer-star Tommy Wiseau's film offers one moment of disaster after another.

Whether it's the made-up-by-fifth-graders dialogue, the deer-in-headlights performances, or the positively icky sex scenes (love those smushed rose petals on the chubby girl's back), you'll be howling from start to finish.

This movie has already amassed a cult of people who know what to yell at the screen and when; for a movie that's being self-distributed, this rates as some kind of crap-movie miracle.

Keep an eye out for the pointless insert shots of San Francisco, which give the idea of time passing even when it doesn't: one party scene, for example, features eight of these cut-aways.

You really can't believe how terrible THE ROOM is, but at least it's entertaining, albeit in ways that the lazy-eyed, odd-bodied, English-mangling auteur never imagined. Not to be missed.
396 out of 458 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
inept
samsavenger16 July 2010
I've never in my life been more entertained by a film that has absolutely NO redeeming qualities. Unintentionally inept characters engage in progressively bizarre and unnatural interactions which seem to peak at erratic and unexpected intervals. The awkwardness of the actors is framed by strange pauses, jarring scripts and incredibly bizarre production techniques - there are ample 'deer in the headlights' moments, in which you can feel genuine sympathy for these people who are obviously so caught up in Tommy's strange and dominating creative control that they've failed to see any better.

Other filmmakers play with similarly surreal concepts - David Lynch for example - but this film lacks anything resembling artistic refinement, insight or self awareness placing it far from comparison. It's kind of like watching a train crash in slow motion - random, incoherent, disastrous, accidental and ultimately painful. The sense of alienation emanating from this film places the audience extremely far from being able to relate to what's happening on screen, which leaves a lot of room for uncontrollable laughter given the right circumstances.

The camera work and production techniques would not be out of place in many daytime soap operas, nor would the script and plot, but there is an undefinable quality which separates this movie from the sense mediocrity often found in such shows and instead casts it deep into the abyss of tragically bad film making where it will be forever trapped along with Wiseau's artistic integrity. This really is a new frontier.

It is truly awful, but I cannot recommend it enough.
86 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Happy Accident
Rogansi6 October 2008
This film is completely worth seeing. A friend of mine recently said it was as if a deer made a movie about human interaction, unable to comprehend what it is to be a human being. It is hilarious.

It is also funny how many people actually see this as a real movie, and take the acting, story, and dialogue seriously. It's a sad testament to the state of intelligence of some, but that doesn't detract from the movies awful redemption.

There was no way this was made as a 'black comedy' on purpose. The ineptness present in ALL aspects of the film could only come about through an attempt to put Tommy's own high-school angsty experiences (probably) on tape. When the reviews trashed the movie, he pulled a Paul Ruebens "I meant to do that". The denial of the films obvious serious beginnings add even more hilarity. Tommy, we are laughing at you, not with you. Thank you for that.
379 out of 454 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The work of a genius Auteur
mrbeasley3 August 2009
Contains Spoilers

The Location - The film is set in San Fransico, as we are reminded several times throughout the film, with good reason. San Fransico represents the city that gave birth to free love - and this is subtly juxtaposed with the theme of the film, that love is not free. Johnny's apartment has a spiral staircase indicating that the path to meaningful congress isn't straight forward, as evidenced by Lisa's liaison on the stairs. The many scenes on the roof top actually represent reaching a higher level of understanding. The transcendental if you will.

The football - the football represents Lisa, a woman who is prepared to be passed from man to man, and indeed those that are not prepared for her suffer a literal downfall. It is symbolism and beautiful metaphor.

The dress - this is Johnny's subconscious awareness of Lisa's true reality expressed in Jungian terms. He is bestowing on her the role of the Scarlet Woman.

The rose - When Johnny places the rose on the bed next to Lisa he is saying " I am replacing one prick in this bed with several pricks" How true he is!

The white car - this is in fact Johnny's white steed. Symbolism for him being the good guy.

The repeated scene - don't believe all you read. The lovemaking scene is repeated, not for budgetary reasons or the actress' dislike of Tommy; rather it indicates that the lovemaking has become boring and literally repetitious.

The Tuxedos - these symbolise Johnny's identity loss and awareness of mass consciousness.

The Psychologist - forsaking the R.D Laing school of thought, he is unable to identify the existential angst of the other characters and after his symbolic downfall plays no further part in their lives.

Chris R - this is in fact a scathing critique of the American Health Care system. Denny is obviously using him to get extra supplies of the Ritalin he so badly requires.

The alcohol - the Scarlet Woman Lisa tempts Johnny away from the path of virtue by intoxicating him with the noxious substances of two cultures - whiskey and vodka, representing the intoxicating combination of their pairing.

The names - Johnny, the 'everyman', a name used in countless films in the 40's and 50's. His everyman status is reinforced by the florists failure to recognise him until he removes that which alters his perception of the world. His sunglasses. Lisa represents 'everywoman'. Notice how the other characters have lovers called Betty and Elizabeth. Claudette - literally 'Claw Debt' - a woman obsessed by her own and others financial situation.

Genetic determinism - Lisa was born out of a loveless relationship and is therefore doomed to repeat such behaviour. Her mother's breast cancer represents the transmission of this through suckling.

The spoons - one is reminded of Heideggers contemplation of the representation of boots in art. The spoons are there for aesthetic rather than utility purposes. This shows that one does not always get 'one's just desserts' ( Get your coat, you're fired - Ed)
133 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tommy Wiseau ranks among the greats...
ilovetommywiseau23 February 2004
Tommy Wiseau ranks among the greats: Spielberg, Scorcese, Griffith, & Welles. In THE ROOM, he has created a piece of cinema that has no parallels. It is a unique piece of artistic greatness.

Let's first discuss Mr. Wiseau's expert crafting of dramatic tension. Denny, the slightly mentally retarded 20-year-old, wants to watch Johnny and Lisa make sweet love. Denny also frequently acts like a brain-damaged Golden Retriever in that he continually wants to play catch with a football, even though everyone only stands 6 feet apart. Denny eventually gets involved with drugs and has to confront the hate-filled Chris-R (and there is no logical reason why the character has a hyphen in his name so don't ask). Johnny nobly comes out of nowhere to provide Denny salvation, and then this plot point is totally forgotten.

The best part of the movie is Mr. Wiseau's acting. He is leagues ahead of other contemporary actors. He is on par with DeNiro in Raging Bull, Nicholson in Easy Rider, and Brando in Streetcar. He delivers his lines as if he IS Johnny, the All-American guy who is trying to stay on the wagon and can't get that promotion at work. He clearly has been well-trained in Method Acting. His Croatian-Serbian-Norwegian-Klingon-Mongolian-Yugoslavian accent is barely noticeable when he delivers lines such as `You're tearing me apart, Lisa' and `I treat you like a princess but you stab me in the back.' You feel Johnny's pain as he becomes a regular MacGyver and hooks up a tape recorder that is able to record for 24 hours straight. His laugh (ha-ha-ha) comes off as natural as can be. When you think JOHNNY, you think All-American guy. The fact that Mr. Wiseau is over sixty years of age and may be on some kind of horse tranquilizer for much of the movie is not an issue.

In the trailers for THE ROOM, it is mentioned that Mr. Wiseau's directing and writing evoke Tennessee Williams, and a truer statement has never been made. You can feel the passion when Johnny transforms himself into Frankenstein and proceeds to destroy his room, moving at a very slow speed. It is as if he is saying to the viewer, `Stella!!' except Mr. Wiseau does not need to say it verbally. He says it through his emaciated skin which has seen better days and through his jet-black hair which is clearly his natural color. Even though the Room takes place in San Francisco, it is as if Blanche DuBois is saying to us, `Johnny, you are a real American, because you play football and say ch-ch-chicken.'

On the musical front, the shifting from a mysterious moody orchestral score to straight-up R&B ably shows Mr. Wiseau's ability to blend different styles musically in order to create a unified mood in his movie. On the sound front, the boom operator clearly did an excellent job as half of the lines in the beginning of the movie are dubbed in later, even though the filming takes place in a quiet room with no extraneous noise.

With regards to editing, Mr. Wiseau deftly uses cutaways to 30-second-long shots from different vantage points in San Francisco. He seems to be saying to the viewer, I hope you weren't interested in the dialogue, because now you will have to sit through 30 seconds of the same shot of the Golden Gate Bridge you've seen 10 times already, before we get back to the dramatic tension you were longing for.

Other attention to detail includes varying dates on how long Johnny and Lisa have been together (5 or 7 years), the switching from the day shots to night shots and then back to day shots on the same day, the fact that all of the men are dressed in tuxedos and decide to play football even though there is no justification for why they should be dressed in tuxedos, and using the exact same shots in the second love scene between Johnny and Lisa that are also used in the first love scene.

Overall, Mr. Wiseau has proven himself to be among the top-rank writers, directors, actors, editors, gaffers, love maker, action stars, and best boys of his generation. He has shown the ability to take any aspect of filmmaking and transcend it. He is able to take monkey poop and turn it into a well-polished turd. I hope to see many more films from Mr. Wiseau in the near future, and I hope that all of them will have Mr. Wiseau acting as well as new and better performances from the guy that played Denny (he rocks!!). To Mr. Wiseau, I say L'Chaim, and let's drink to much greater Cinema to come!!
443 out of 558 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I DID NAAAAGHT! Oh hi, Mark."
cedde628 January 2013
Johnny, a man thanks to whom a bank makes lots of money, did not get his promotion but he's way too busy trying to be American by throwing footballs around at any given opportunity to really mind that. And he's also about to get married to Lisa who's in some computer business of some kind but she's having an affair with Mark, Johnny's best friend, who does not want to hurt Johnny but clearly can't help himself. Danny, Johnny and Lisa's young sexually confused neighbour who has problems of his own somewhat related to drugs and football fetching, doesn't suspect a thing although he's always hovering about and is also in love with Lisa but would rather watch Lisa and Johnny in bed when he's not fetching Johnny's balls. The only person who knows what is afoot between Johnny and Lisa is Lisa's mother who begs her daughter to come to her senses but in vain since no one listens to her and... she's dying... since she DEFINITELY has breast cancer (which is okay since "they're curing people everyday"). Confused? Well don't be...

And welcome to the wondrous world of "The Room". This is a world from the breathtaking lack of imagination of Tommy Wiseau, the least appealing man ever to walk this Earth; a world where people play football in tuxedo, have the same conversations again and again due to their 5 minutes memory, make babies by humping belly buttons in the middle of rose petals and finally enter and exit places without any other reason than to do just that.

Indeed, this is probably one of the worst film ever made but as opposed to any other cinematic turd, this one is hardly ever dull (except for the "sex" scenes maybe), the aimless plot driven through one stupidity to the other by the on-par grammar-school writing delivering gems galore ("I'm so happy I have you as my best friend and I love Lisa so much", "I'm tired. I'm wasted. I love you darling"), the final broth served by inept performances (for want of a better word) from its cast. This is truly the most inspired disaster ever committed to screen.

But what I find the most interesting about the "The Room" is its maker Tommy Wiseau. "The Room" is a window into his confused psyche because make no mistake folks: Tommy IS Johnny. And what are we told about Johnny? Well that "he's very caring about the people in his life", provides for his girlfriend, "is very sensitive", "doesn't drink", "has a very secure situation" and has nice pecs. Quite a catch wouldn't you say ladies? On paper possibly... Because everything about his persona seems phoney: his accent which is a mix of anyone's that ever walk this planet whom couldn't speak English, his over-sized suit, his dark, long and way too greasy hair, his geriatric body posture, his re-shaped and re-muddled face and, above all, his completely dry and humourless laughter (and not in a sarcastic way either). Such a penchant for dissimulation is downright creepy and I must admit, the physical repulsion he exerts on me is the stuff fascination is made of.

The fact that "The Room" has gathered such a cult following is no surprise. In the oh-so jaded times we're living in, celebrating the mediocre, talentless and pointless have become all the rage with the recipient of the mockery confusing infamy with fame. There is something both pathetic and a little unsettling about how Tommy Wiseau regards the cynical interests his movie has attracted for a genuine recognition of his talent.

Mind you, I suppose Mr Wiseau can take pride in the fact that "The Room" will go down in Cinema history. But as what?
71 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than Mission to Mars... And yet, 1000x more enjoyable
ladypade10 July 2003
"The Room", more aptly titled "Inconsistancy: The Laughably Pitiful Time Machine", left me feeling more conflicted than ever before. On the one hand, this is clearly the worst movie ever made. Tommy Wiseau must be a billionaire, because I have no idea who in their right mind would fund this project. The acting is horrific, the plot drops its incomprehensible tangents about as abruptly as they are surfaced, half of the film is composed of sex scenes (one recycled, by the way), and the dialogue is the most unnatural I've ever heard... it's a joke. And speaking of jokes, all these qualities make "The Room" one of the most fun films I have seen in a long, long time. I loved it - it's absolutely destined to be a cult classic. While watching this adorable attempt at capturing reality, I couldn't help but long for the return of MST 3K so they could have a crack at this thing. Fortunately, the audience picked up on my vibes and shouted out jokes and comments sufficient enough for my yearning. I would recommend that every person in the world find a way to see this film because it will leave you feeling that much better about yourself. I mean that sincerely. So long as you have a great sense of humor and don't mind that the characters' only motivation for action is simply their ill-explained personality traits, I guarantee explosive laughter throughout the surprisingly quick hundred minutes. It's like nothing I have ever experienced before. Wiseau's character delivers the line at one point, "You're tearing me apart!!" My sentiments exactly. 10 stars.
214 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tommy Wiseau used me and I am the fool
Kristine3 August 2010
Oh, wow, um, where do I even begin with this movie? I suppose I could tell you how I heard of it, like most people I heard about this movie from an internet reviewer(the Nostalgia Critic). I honestly would've never heard of this film either, probably would have never seen it. But after the clips I saw, I HAD to see this movie, I went on Amazon.com immediately afterwards and ordered it. Now I knew this movie was going to be bad, but I HAD NO IDEA! I think it's one of those movies that had to be handled in clips because I cannot tell you all the safety precautions you should take before watching this movie. My boyfriend tried to commit suicide while I just wanted to find Tommy Wiseau and do some things that even the Dark One would look at me and say "geez, take it easy on the guy". I cannot even describe how this movie is bad. The acting is like the actors are literally reading the script for the first time. Tommy Wiseau's acting, I don't know if there's a word for how bad it is so we'll just say it's "aguwaba", also it seems his voice was dubbed over. Now I thought this was because maybe he only speaks one language that isn't English, but he speaks with this stupid indefinable accent all the time, so why is his dubbing the same way? Where is he from? Brazil, Romania, France…? I have no idea.

Lisa has become inexplicably dissatisfied with her fiancé Johnny, confiding to her best friend Michelle and her mother Claudette that she finds him boring. Lisa seduces Johnny's best friend Mark, and they begin an affair that continues throughout the film, even as Mark more than once tries to break it off. As the wedding date approaches and Johnny's clout at his bank slips, Lisa gets closer to leaving Johnny for Mark. When Lisa throws Johnny a surprise birthday party, she flaunts her affair in front of Johnny, and Johnny and Mark get into two altercations. Johnny has also attached a tape recorder to the telephone, recording an intimate call between his future wife and Mark. Now that Johnny is "fed up with this world", feeling like he cannot trust anyone, he pulls the ultimate punishment in self loathing to himself but a true gift to the audience.

This movie is just incredible that it was made, I didn't think it was possible to make a film so bad. It's like it's a new genre, just a bad movie. Sub plots get brought up out of no where in this movie and never get brought up again. Characters get brought up and again never mentioned. The script, story, characters, editing, setting, everything was just wrong with this movie. Also Tommy Wiseau's name is mentioned 6 times before the film even begins and his character is of course "perfect" that everyone should just love him. Lisa, who is very odd looking, is constantly called "sexy" which either has a new definition or is ironic. Mark is a doof ball that probably thinks that penguins are fish, because he's just that stupid. Denny is a perverted 15 year old who wants to watch Johnny and Lisa make love and constantly says how in love with Lisa he is and how he loves Johnny. Also there is so many pointless love scenes, football scenes, gift giving scenes, lines, if there was a drinking game on the pointless scenes for this film, you'd die of alcohol poisoning by the end of this movie. I don't know, it is one of those films you have to see to believe, but I can tell you one thing for sure, if Tommy Wiseau thinks we're laughing with him, he should check that we're actually laughing at him.

70 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I watched with my mouth open...
d_rockafella22 September 2004
If anyone actually watched this movie and walked out with just the notion that it was a "bad movie" they have absolutely no sense of humor... This movie is not a "bad movie," it is by far the worst movie ever made, and absolutely hilarious... It's not like bad movie hilarious where there's some really funny parts (funny for being bad) and the rest is boring... It's absolutely non-stop... My mouth dropped open and literally stayed that way for most of the movie... The sex scene, the completely nonsense drug dealer side story, the dialogue ("Hi, Doggy"), and best of all were Mark's attempts to stop Lisa from having sex with him ("hey... wait a minute... what are you doing... no, we can't do that")... I'm just happy I got a chance to see it, especially with a crowd of people that also "got it" ... I can't wait for the DVD...
243 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Leave your stupid comments in your pocket!
tieman648 June 2010
"I did not hit her! It's not true! It's bulls***t! I did not hit her! I did NOTTT. Oh hi, Mark." – Tommy Wiseau (The Room)

Released in 2003, "The Room" would have faded into obscurity had it not, like most of Ed Wood's films, possessed the right mixture of sincerity, god-awful ineptness, and unintentional humour. Within months the film had become a cult classic, playing in packed Los Angeles theatres to legions of screaming fans.

What makes the film hilarious is Tommy Wiseau, a talentless and egotistical auteur, who wrote, directed, produced, financed and starred in this six million dollar flick. The classic self-important European artist, Wiseau sees himself, not only as a serious actor, but a serious writer and director. He thinks he's written a Shakespearean plot, when in reality this is a childish love triangle. He thinks his dialogue flies like Tennessee Williams, but in reality it is worse than that offered by the Disney Channel. He thinks his direction rivals Cassavetes, but in reality...well, he was so confused, he shot the film on both HD and celluloid cameras, mounted side by side because he didn't know which camera was which.

And yet there is something captivating about Wiseau's performance. His accent is odd, he approaches each word from a strange angle, he puts emphasis on the wrong syllables, he structures sentences in off kilter rhythms, he inserts punctuation in the wrong places and has his dialogue branch off in weird tangents. Listening to Wiseau speak is like watching the English language being re-invented. It should be god awful, but it's strangely interesting. Like David Mamet, his intonations, his verbal tempo, is almost balletic.

Whilst all the actors in the film are bad – soft-core porn bad – Wiseau imbues the film with a kind of transcendent badness. He's not bad, so much as he is unaware of the rules of good. He's so earnest, so confident that his performance, that his art, is the epitome of quality, that his ineptness renders the whole production farcical.

With regards to the film's plot, there are themes of cancer, betrayal, drug abuse, and infidelity, but it's all handled in an awkward way akin to a kindergarten play. At times whole lines of dialogue are dubbed over, often with no regard to the actor's lip movements. Like Ed Wood's "Plan Nine From Outer Space", characters are also oddly replaced by other actors half way through the film, no explanation given. Throw in countless shots of the Golden Gate Bridge, an epically stupid ending, some hilariously badly written dialogue – "Leave your stupid comment in your pocket!", "Chocolate is a symbol of love!", "What kind of money?", "I definitely have breast cancer", "I needed money so I bought drugs!", "I'm fed up of this wur-urld!" - and you have the funniest "so bad it's good" film since Ed Wood.

7.5/10 – Comedy gold. Snippets from this film can be seen at the following links:

As you can see, Wiseau's performance is strangely captivating. He has been described as "Borat trying to do an impression of Christopher Walken playing a mental patient". How apt.
28 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liberation in Mediocrity
Jeff Howard31 May 2009
There are more than enough reviews of this movie that tell you in wonderful ways how absolutely perfect the awfulness of "The Room" is. What I found terribly interesting when I was brought to a Los Angeles midnight screening of this movie, besides the fact that this damn thing was on five screens at once, is that this movie provides the moviegoer with the rare opportunity to absolutely mock terrible cinema.

I see several movies per year, often from the major studios, that I long to shout at in disgust. "The Room" is terrible to the point that the audience has agreed to do just that. It is liberating and hilarious and downright therapeutic to shout, when a character who has never been established suddenly appears on screen, "Who are you?"

Wiseau shows up at these Los Angeles screenings and revels in what he seems to think is adoration, almost psychotically not in on the joke.

You do not go to "The Room" to see a movie. You go to get even with that screen that promises entertainment and often disappoints. Finally, you get to mock mediocrity. It's enjoyable and liberating. How lucky is Wiseau that he gets rewarded for being awful? At least he is a good sport about taking the abuse.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Outsider Masterpiece
Michelson7 July 2006
Perhaps the best testament to the greatness of "The Room" is its utter indescribability, its curiously strong resistance to mimetic, second-hand description. Sure, you can easily sum up the banal, cliché plot, or approximate the mind-bogglingly amateurish acting and the hole filled, insanely convoluted, and just plain weird screenplay. You'll make yourself laugh as you quote choice lines ("Hi Doggy!" "I feel like I'm sitting on an atom bomb that's about to explode!" "The world would be a better place if everyone loved each other." "Oh hi _______!" "Chocolate is the symbol of love." "Cheep cheep cheep!" et al) and mime Wiseau's hilariously awkward motions and slurred cadences ("It's not true, I did not hit her! I DID NOOOOT."). You'll try in vain to convey the sheer weirdness of the incessant football playing, the hilarity of the jogging at the park, the brilliance of Chris R., the beautiful blue-screened rooftop, the horrific sex scenes that never seem to end, the mantra-like, gut-wrenchingly saccharine pop songs that accompany said sex scenes, and the inescapable, mind-erasing voids of Lisa and Claudette's mother-daughter one-on-one's. However, frustratingly for the would-be promoter of the film, these sorts of descriptions do little in the way of actually capturing the genuine magic that occurs when one sees "The Room" for the first time.

After hearing about the film on NPR, my interest was peaked. Soon after, I discovered that there were several clips of the film available to view on Youtube. After watching the rooftop conversation between Johnny and Mark, and an excerpt of the tuxedo-clad football game, I was sold. Living over 2000 miles from Los Angeles, I knew my only option was to purchase the DVD, which retails for about $11 on Amazon. Later that week, I found myself staring at Wiseau's curiously droopy face and preparing, at long last, to watch "The Room." Words fail to describe my experience; I was immediately hooked. Now, several months later, I've watched the film close to ten times, and I can say without hyperbole that it has become more fascinating and hilarious with each viewing. If you're reading this and you're on the fence about whether or not to go to a screening, or to spend the $11-$15 for the DVD, fear not – you will regret nothing. In fact, you'll begin to wonder how you lived for so long without seeing "The Room." Well, what are you waiting for? "DO YOU UNDERSTAND LIFE??!!"
232 out of 345 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Greatest Film in the History of Western Civilization
gavin694217 November 2009
Tommy loves Lisa, his future wife. But Mark, Johnny's best friend, is sleeping with Lisa. And Lisa's mother has breast cancer. And Denny, Johnny's adopted son, has a drug problem, or at least a money problem. What does all this have to do with each other? Not much.

Could "The Room" be the greatest film ever made? Writer, director, producer and star Tommy Wiseau thinks so. The rumor is he submitted the film to the Academy for consideration as best picture. Sadly, he was turned away. "The Room" may not be the best picture of the year, but is probably the single greatest film of all time, at least from a purely entertaining point of view.

Yes, the love scenes are recycled. Yes, some of the dialog makes no sense. Yes, there are countless subplots that go nowhere. Yes, one of the main characters disappears halfway through and is replaced by another guy. Yes, the music is bad. Yes, yes, yes. But somehow, the more things that seem to be wrong with this film -- a film that Wiseau assures us was "meticulously" made -- the better it gets.

I was laughing so hard, I was in pain within fifteen minutes and cried. All of the "Oh, hi Mark" lines, and the epic "you're tearing me apart" were too much for me. I ended up spewing my guts, and several bottles of Coors Light, all over the place. The intensity of the awesome in the picture just blew me away.

I have a new favorite film, and that film's name is "The Room". What other film could make me want to play football in a tuxedo or sing the "Full House" theme song? Only one film has that power... for the full effect, you really need to see a midnight screening of this film with the audience participation. Or at the very least, download the RiffTrax and laugh all over again... this film could be watched fifty times and still not begin to get old.
20 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Paradox film
Noimro8 February 2012
There's a special category of films. The 'so bad it's good' category. Films created with the best intentions that ended up so bad that they cross the line of their genres and move to the comedy section. Well the Room is the king of all these films. Written, directed and produced by that alien life form our world known as Tommy Wiseau, the Room tells the story of Johnny a banker who loves his Lisa so much and he's happy that has Mark as his best friend. Lisa by the way is an average looking chubby woman that in the Room's universe is hotter than Megan Fox. Mark is a model looking man that will not hesitate throwing you off the roof and apologize some seconds later. There's also Denny a neighbor/son/retarded weirdo that likes to watch people having sex. There's also Claudette, Lisa's mother who's dying of breast cancer. Other characters you ask? Well we have Chris R. who sells drugs to kids before getting paid, Mike and Michelle, two chocolate lovers (I mean that literally), Peter a psychologist who transforms into Steven and a dog that looks like a frog. Confused? Don't be. Everything makes sense in Tommy's mind.

What make the Room superior to all of the 'so bad it's good' films is the fact that it's (like the trailer said) a riot. You see unlike other films that have 1-2 unintentionally funny scenes and the rest is a bore the Room is a non-stop extravaganza. Literally every scene has something wrong. Every scene has one quote that will stay in your mind forever. Because I forgot to mention that The Room is also the most quotable film of all time. The Godfather? Pulp Fiction? Star Wars? No. Just no. The Room beats the all.

At the end The Room is the worst and best film of all time. It's a paradox film.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly brilliant contribution to film
William Von bartelsby6 March 2014
If the room had to be described in one word it would be, Breathtaking. The room is filled with non-stop, edge of your seat, nail biting action. The visionary Tommy Wiseau should go down in history as the greatest writer, producer and director of all time. The film will take you on an emotional roller-coaster that you'll be strapped in for till the end. You really begin to feel for Johnny as Lisa betrays him for his best friend Mark. The dialogue is just so moving. When Johnny tells the viewers that Lisa is tearing him apart you can't help but feel torn up inside. The poor man had everything with Lisa, without her, he has nothing. It also has its way about dealing with drugs and other problems such as cancer. The ending will leave you crying and wanting more. Just remember, don't watch this and "for all I care, you can drop off the earth, Thats a promise"- Mark (Greg Sestero)
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Future of Cinema
TheEmperorAndWolf22 June 2004
So it is almost a year now since the premiere of "The Room". Possibly one of the boldest independent movies of the week, it lived up to the rumors. A French Canadian friend of mine named Michael first told me and my brother of this masterpiece. At first I was scared when I was told it was a movie about a man who could barely speak English and was struggling to keep his girlfriend, but there was so much more. There were roses....spoons....and Denny. Tommy Wiseau, possibly the greatest independent,new,director/writer/producer named Tommy to come from Europe in the past year...bar none. Some people have compared him to Tennesse Williams, and I couldn't agree more...his acting is probably the closest I've seen to him since Philip Haldiman. The symbolic usage of spoons in this movie makes me love it even more. The cutaways to the fabulous bridge brings a horrifying yet satisfying theme to this already quirky yet serious yet pornographic movie. I cannot wait to see what movie Tommy decides to do next, personally I don't think he can top this one....but maybe a sequel is in order to this great trilogy or saga of movies to "The Room"...possibly Denny spin-offs. Actors Awesome, Actresses = Worst I've seen in my entire life. Good Work Tommy...we need more filmmakers like you producing your own movies. The Room = 4 spoons out of 4
71 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most fun you'll ever have at the movies!
Michael Vanier29 July 2008
Even if "The Room" isn't the most technically polished, sharply-acted, or most coherently-plotted film in the history of cinema, I challenge you to find another movie that will give you as much pure pleasure. Anyone who has attended the midnight screenings at the Laemmle's Theater on Sunset in Hollywood knows what I'm talking about. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a movie in my entire life. Some very competent filmmakers struggle their entire careers and never make a movie one-tenth as enjoyable as "The Room". We should all thank Tommy Wiseau for this little gem that has brightened up so many lives. If you have any friends who are suffering from depression, I recommend you bring them to a screening of "The Room" immediately. They'll thank you for it. I'm eagerly looking forward to Mr. Wiseau's future work.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ahhaha, You're right, isss good.
Michelsons_Lover7 July 2006
This movie is great. So complex, so intricate, so layered. A buddy of mine and myself could spend hours talking about this movie, trying to figure it out. We've both watched it multiple times and we're both not satisfied. You thought the scene changes in Memento where confusing? Try The Room. You find yourself always wondering what the heck is going on. That's especially true when the actors are talking. Who wrote this stuff? Tommy Wiseau is who wrote this, youngin'. Get to know him. Seriously. Wiseau not only made this movie, he MAKES this movie. Without Wiseau, you'd be wondering what the hell you're wasting your time for. With Wiseau, somehow the movie makes perfect sense, in a not making sense at all sort of way. Why is he always laughing? Is he nervous on the set? Is this the character of Johnny coming through? Who knows. This is why this movie is so great, it leaves you with so many questions. For instance, in the drunk scene, you find yourself bewildered as to the reason Lisa and Johnny choose to drink what could only be described as Vodka over Whiskey. And then Johnny confirms that the drink "Isss goood". How is that possible? You were confused by the time lapses in Primer? You ain't seen nothing. The Room not only has time issues, but it has missing scenes and sudden changes of behavior by the characters. A simple filler shot of San Francisco (Whenever you see Alcatraz, I recommend shouting ALCATRAZ!!!!!) can mean anything from, "Well, it appears an entire day has passed"... to "Well, I think it's the same day"... or "Why did I just see that?".

So anyways, here's my final take, starting with the negatives:

-The Room suffers from too many sex scenes. The first one is hilarious and disgusting (Does anyone know what's up with Wiseau's body?). After that, the sex scenes are boring, but still disgusting. The only good part is the original music, which is hilarious and addicting.

-The Room also suffers from too many Claudette/Lisa scenes. These are really boring and the conversation is always the same... i.e. Lisa complaining about her relationship with Johnny.

-Peter is a lame character.

And then the positives:

-Any scenes with the following characters are stellar: Johnny (Of course). Denny. Chris R (They tease us with only one scene with Chris R). Doggy (Again, a one scene tease). Mike (Watch his face).

-This movie is highly quotable. There are too many great quotes to even mention.

-The message of the movie "How can you ever really trust anyone?".

That's about it. Do yourself a favor and watch The Room. I only wish I lived near LA so I could attend a screening and meet Tommy or some of the cast.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Football Tossing and Sex
I can't believe as a fan of so bad they're good movies that it took me this long to see The Room. After watching the first few scenes of this film, my head was already shaking so much my neck started to hurt. At the same time it was impossible for me not to crack a smile. This film has the best worst acting I've ever witnessed. The star/director/producer/writer Tommy Wiseau should be in the Hall of Fame of bad acting if there ever was one. I'd describe him as a cross between Christopher Walken and Fabio, except he makes Fabio look like Daniel Day Lewis when it comes to his acting skills. It's not just Tommy who lacks in the acting department. Every single actor/actress in this film will make you want to cringe with every line. It doesn't help the already dreadful actors that the dialogue is absolutely atrocious.

When it comes to plot in this movie, there are so many holes it's like Swiss cheese. I would try and explain the plot but there is barely one to begin with. I lost count on how many scenes that were in this movie that were absolutely pointless to the plot.

If you are just starting to watch some of the worst films ever created there might not be a better place to start than the Room. It is worth all the hype it receives, simply a movie you have to see to believe.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're Tearing Me Apaaaaaart!!!!
evanston_dad6 December 2017
I have to believe I'm not the only person who was prompted to see "The Room" in preparation for James Franco's well-received "The Disaster Artist," the story of the cult classic's creation.

Called the worst movie ever made by many, what I think people mean is that "The Room" is one of the most entertaining bad movies ever made. It's certainly not the worst; just try watching a movie like, say, "ThanksKilling" for an example of a movie so bad that it's unwatchable. No, "The Room" belongs to the same category as something like "Battlefield Earth," films so earnestly made yet so poorly executed that they become more entertaining than they would have been had the filmmakers been able to make a legitimately good movie.

One can't really provide a description of "The Room" that will come anywhere close to approximating the experience of watching it. Tommy Wiseau, the film's legendary and strange creator, plays Johnny, who's been dating Lisa for something like six or seven years and who he refers to throughout the entire movie as "my future wife." The problem is that Lisa hates Tommy and doesn't want to marry him, despite bonking him repeatedly. It never seems to occur to Lisa that she could just tell Johnny she doesn't love him anymore, so she instead complains to everyone who will listen to her how bored she is by him and even makes up stories about him getting drunk and beating her. No one seems especially bothered by this prospect, perhaps because Lisa is such an unpleasant person that we don't understand why Johnny wants her in the first place. O.k. maybe it's not so far fetched, since Johnny isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, and his prospects for female companionship that he doesn't have to pay for are probably limited. He clearly is drawn to Lisa's formidable intelligence, because he thinks her suggestion that they invite a bunch of friends to a birthday party she plans to throw for him (despite hating him) is "a great idea," which I guess is if the alternative idea is to invite a bunch of random strangers. And Johnny isn't alone; at said birthday party, she suggest that they should all eat some cake, and the party goers act like that's an idea no one's ever had at a birthday party before.

Complicating matters is Johnny's best friend Mark, who gives a brilliant discourse on gender politics in which he categorizes all women as stupid or evil. Given the women in this movie, he may be on to something. Lisa has the hots for Mark, and they pick the least comfortable spot in the apartment (the bend of a spiral staircase) on which to consummate their passion (though I'm not sure if anything was actually consummated since Mark appears to be humping Lisa's knees). Mark seems like a bit of dim bulb himself, since every time thereafter that Lisa initiates sex his first question is "What are you doing?"

The most mysterious character in the movie is Denny, an orphaned kid who lives God knows where but who pops in all. the. time. and who we're told thinks of Johnny as a father figure, though, given the fact that the first scene with Denny finds him wanting to watch Johnny and Lisa have sex, he might have wanted to shop around a bit more. Denny is always carrying either a basketball or a football and acts like he's twelve despite the fact that the actor playing him is about twenty-five. Once in a while, some combination of guys will actually play ball with him, which involves standing about three feet from each other and gently tossing the ball around like it's an explosive device. After some ball tossing on the roof of Johnny's apartment building, and then some more ball tossing in a cramped alley, I started to wonder whether or not San Francisco had any parks these guys could go to, and then later in the film when they actually go to a park, I wondered why they didn't go to one sooner.

My favorite character is Lisa's mom, who walks into every situation and expresses disbelief that she's surrounded by dipsh*ts, a sentiment I shared. Nothing phases this woman, not breast cancer, not drug dealers, not random people using her daughter's apartment for a booty call. Whatever's going on, she's just so over it.

And another supporting character is Johnny's psychologist friend, who looks like the bald Nazi from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and lurks in the background, lit by the camera man like a serial killer.

Every scene in "The Room" feels like the intro to porn sex, no matter what combination of people are present. There are actually a couple of soft core scenes, both featuring Johnny and Lisa, though it actually only counts as one scene since the second one uses the EXACT SAME FOOTAGE as the first. Needless to say, they're not very erotic unless you find weirdly veiny men of an indeterminate age erotic, or are turned on by the sight of rose petals mashed into a woman's back like giant ticks.

I don't know why "The Room" is called "The Room." There is a room in the movie, in which almost all of the action that doesn't occur on the roof takes place. The set decorator clearly thought that Johnny and Lisa are the kind of people who decorate their apartment with giant candles and bowls of fruit, which comes in handy when Denny needs to eat an apple as a way of managing the sexual frustration that occurs when Johnny and Lisa aren't up for a menage a trois.

Maybe he should have played some football in the alley instead. Hah- hah! Hah-hah!

Grade: F (for not having even a minimum understanding of the art of narrative filmmaking)

Grade: A+ (for entertainment value)
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget All The Hype!
insidious4208 October 2011
Seriously, forget all the "hype" - this movie is even worse than everyone says it is. If you truly have some morbid desire to see THE worst movie ever made (as I foolishly did), then this is your best bet, but I highly advise against it. If you do proceed, I recommend large amounts of alcohol and/or drugs. It is BARELY "so bad it's good"... barely "good" in the sense that it is barely unintentionally funny. It beats "Plan 9 From Outer Space", easily de-throning that movie from its former reign as The Worst Movie Ever Made.

Words simply cannot effectively describe this movie, and it's not worth any type of time or effort to attempt to seriously analyze it from a critical point of view. The movie is hopeless and utterly pointless, literally every aspect of it is terrible. Only ridiculous hyperbole is appropriate:

Just imagine the best movie you've ever seen, now imagine the complete opposite, the total inverse of that movie in every aspect, to hopefully visualize something even worse than the worst movie you've ever seen. Now imagine the worst movie you actually have seen. Pretend they mated, the fictional inverse movie and the actual horrible movie, and that their offspring was a premature abortion which only inherited the absolute worst negative qualities from its parents. Now take that failed abortion, and imagine something ten times as horridly disturbing and terrible as it: "The Room" is even worse than that.
20 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You are pulling me together, Tommy Wiseau
Tom mywiseauislife6 March 2014
Oh, hi, IMDb. Well, it's hard to put into words just how incredible an achievement this movie is, how much it means to me, and how much it should mean to the film industry. I know what you're thinking: "you must be kidding, aren't you?" Believe me. The room will change your life for the best.

Tommy Wiseau is pure genius. He has written, produced, and directed the best movie ever made, and I don't understand why the Oscars ceremony wasn't canceled in order to fully recognize the art that is "The Room".

Before I saw this movie, my life was going nowhere. I was living on the streets with no money and no reason to go on. But then I got the chance to see "The Room", and I instantly felt enlightened. I got the confidence to do something with my life. I owe everything to Tommy Wiseau.

Every aspect of this film is flawless; the character's are all lovable, the set is believable, the screenplay is phenomenal. The whole movie is a message to us all; that love is blind.

So please, if you ever get the chance to see this masterpiece, watch it. Then watch it again. Then think to yourself, have I really been living my life without the words of Tommy Wiseau to guide me? Then watch it again. And to all the haters of this movie, keep your stupid comments in your pocket! The Shawshank Redemption itself is no competition for this film.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best movie ever. That's a promise.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.